Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let’s be European tourists in the US

I’m flying Virgin Atlantic to Orlando from London.

by Anonymousreply 71September 7, 2024 2:23 PM

I'm the aural adjustment upon initial contact with LOUD Americans.

by Anonymousreply 1September 4, 2024 4:58 PM

How about keeping your nasty European trashy selves at home, you might injest some toxic, but you don't care, as long as you can come to the promised land, you love it, stay home.

by Anonymousreply 2September 4, 2024 9:19 PM

Ingest actually.

by Anonymousreply 3September 4, 2024 9:20 PM

I'm San Francisco, one of their favorite cities!

by Anonymousreply 4September 4, 2024 9:21 PM

I'm the gaggle of off-duty KLM flight attendants running around the Bloomingdale's Outlet or Woodbury Common, loudly converting all the prices to euros (and loving the weak dollar)

by Anonymousreply 5September 4, 2024 9:32 PM

Our darkies know their place..

by Anonymousreply 6September 4, 2024 9:41 PM

I'm the German tourists witnessing a robbery in NYC, and foolishly deciding to intervene.

by Anonymousreply 7September 4, 2024 10:07 PM

[quote] I'm San Francisco, one of their favorite cities!

I've noticed that too.

Is there an explanation for it?

by Anonymousreply 8September 4, 2024 10:07 PM

R8 SF reminds them of postwar Berlin

by Anonymousreply 9September 4, 2024 10:09 PM

I’m the French, berating the hotel staff.

by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2024 10:20 PM

I'm the Dutch, completely blending in because we speak perfect English.

by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2024 10:21 PM

R8, it share some aspects of some Euro cities -- walkable, a cafe culture, about as much history as a California city can have, etc.

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2024 10:51 PM

I’m Dutchie and I am beyond annoyed with the overly chatty cashiers.

Especially at this Trader Joe chain.

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2024 10:58 PM

Does one really need to explain why tourists visit SF?

by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2024 10:59 PM

I'm the inexplicable attachment to the dream of renting Harley-Davidsons and driving Route 66 into the real America

(How many otherwise well travelled and intelligent European friends have I tried to dissuade of this very bad idea?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 4, 2024 11:08 PM

I’m dipping my fries (chips) in mayonnaise instead of ketchup.

by Anonymousreply 16September 4, 2024 11:14 PM

[quote] I’m dipping my fries (chips) in mayonnaise instead of ketchup.

Oh, please.

Americans use mayo, ranch, thousand island (aka "fry sauce"), and lots of other condiments for their french fries.

Ketchup is so last century.

by Anonymousreply 17September 4, 2024 11:19 PM

“We’re going to see LA, Phoenix and Vegas all in one weekend! I can’t wait!”

by Anonymousreply 18September 4, 2024 11:19 PM

I'm the German couple kitted out for a multi-day mountain hike in the middle of Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 19September 4, 2024 11:21 PM

I'm the disappointment when they visit LA. This is [italic]not[/italic] a tourist-friendly type of town on the level of SF, NYC, Miami, DC.

by Anonymousreply 20September 4, 2024 11:35 PM

I'm the complete disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 21September 4, 2024 11:41 PM

I feel like they should wait and not come here right now. We are too fucked up. Things are just so shitty and it feels like we need more notice to get ready for company.

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2024 12:24 AM

I'm the German tourists headed to Death Valley in the dead of 120 F+ summer. No, really. This is an actual thing.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2024 12:26 AM

[quote] I'm the German tourists headed to Death Valley in the dead of 120 F+ summer. No, really. This is an actual thing.

Wearing Winter coats, no less.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2024 12:32 AM

I’m complaining to waiters about having to tip and to retail workers about sales tax.

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2024 12:41 AM

I'm the availability of dispensaries, legal weed, and better drugs. My eyes are as open as a kid in a candy store!

by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2024 12:43 AM

I'm the look of shock at the table manners of the average American - adults holding their cutlery like five year olds!

by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2024 12:52 AM

I'm in the line for a ride at Disneyland - shocked that people get to jump to the front because they are morbidly obese and riding a mobility scooter. Accompanied by their extended family.

by Anonymousreply 28September 5, 2024 12:55 AM

I'm the shock that nobody speaks 5 languages like we do.

by Anonymousreply 29September 5, 2024 1:05 AM

Eurotrash

by Anonymousreply 30September 5, 2024 1:54 AM

I’m being a cunt

by Anonymousreply 31September 5, 2024 1:58 AM

As an American that spends a great deal of time in Europe, I don't see the attraction of American cities. Doesn't seem worth the travel time and expense. The one thing the US does well is national parks. If that what you are into, the US is worth the trip.

by Anonymousreply 32September 5, 2024 1:59 AM

I am the incredibly fat, lobster-red German tourist wearing a Speedo and sauntering down AIA in Ft. Lauderdale. The locals pray for a shark attack.

"The water is safe, just a shadow caused by the sun." "It's not moving; the waves just make it seem that way." "Be sure to splash around and get the water all over you."

"Helga, don't worry about Heinrich, I'm sure he's fine." "That's a lovely string bikini."

by Anonymousreply 33September 5, 2024 2:46 AM

I'm the suitcase full of cheap over the counter drugs in bulk quantities.

by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2024 2:58 AM

[quote] don't see the attraction of American cities.

Agreed. But on the flip side of that, our nature is 100 x better than theirs.

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2024 2:59 AM

I’m the NY Yankees cap.

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2024 3:04 AM

I'm the fact that they are no better dressed than their counterparts from any other country and usually no less fat.

by Anonymousreply 37September 5, 2024 3:12 AM

I’m surprised at the insecurity when dealing with foreigners - what happened to the American Exceptionalism?

by Anonymousreply 38September 5, 2024 3:28 AM

I’m the 5kg weight increase from two weeks of American food.

by Anonymousreply 39September 5, 2024 3:33 AM

I'm the 50kg weight from affordable Marijuana!!!!

by Anonymousreply 40September 5, 2024 3:47 AM

I'm thick white socks with shit-brown sandals.

by Anonymousreply 41September 5, 2024 4:06 AM

I'm the odd fact that the Germans, the British and the Russians are always immediately noticeable but not so the Spanish, the Italians or the French.

by Anonymousreply 42September 5, 2024 4:07 AM

[quote]I’m complaining to waiters about having to tip and to retail workers about sales tax.

Euros are simply used to the sales tax (VAT) always being included in the price. It throws them off.

BTW American tipping culture has, to some extent, been adopted in parts of Europe. Point-of-sale terminals in Ireland and the Netherlands, for example, now often have options for tipping 5%, 10%, 15% or 20% (often just for the service of having a salesperson open a fridge and hand you a bottle). Many (if not most) customers ignore those buttons, though.

by Anonymousreply 43September 5, 2024 8:25 AM

I'm the Amazon locker full of bargains.

by Anonymousreply 44September 5, 2024 8:48 AM

Haha, r5. When I visited NYC from Europe last month we stayed at the hotel where it seems KLM puts up all its flight crew. You can imagine the affairs that happen.

by Anonymousreply 45September 5, 2024 9:14 AM

I'm the German (or Swiss or Dutch) tourist shocked at how decrepit and antiquated all the infrastructure is.

I'm the European that will one day understand that being polite, friendly and "chatty" acts like social glue in a very diverse society.

by Anonymousreply 46September 5, 2024 9:27 AM

I flew with United, and was shocked by how fat, out of shape, ugly and generally not suitable-looking for the job the flight attendants were. Also old. Not the kind of people you'd have confidence in to guide you out of an emergency or to respond in an agile and rapid manner. They also weren't particularly friendly and welcoming nor did they make much of an effort to make passengers feel comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 47September 5, 2024 9:28 AM

I'm the European who is a seasoned US traveler. I'm his sticker shock on a recent visit because everything is NOT cheaper in the USA. WTF happened? Why is dinner in Beacon NY more expensive than Brussels? Why is a rent higher in Denver than Zurich?

by Anonymousreply 48September 5, 2024 10:19 AM

R36 almost always those aren’t actual Yankees caps. Every two-bit tourist trap store in NYC sells the same generic cap with lettering that just mimics the team logo (or a Mets-adjacent logo). Yankees caps don’t actual come in a rainbow of colors.

by Anonymousreply 49September 5, 2024 10:34 AM

I am the foreskins. I cause alarm in the men’s room at TGI Friday’s or Applebee’s when the locals think I’m stroking off at the urinal instead of just trying to keep my cock clean.

by Anonymousreply 50September 5, 2024 11:12 AM

Sometimes not alarm but disappointment, R50.

by Anonymousreply 51September 5, 2024 11:34 AM

R48, because of all of the economic factors of the past fifteen years, bunky

by Anonymousreply 52September 5, 2024 11:49 AM

Hard to imagine feeling unwelcome by people you dismiss as fat, out of shape, ugly and generally not suitable-looking for the job.

by Anonymousreply 53September 5, 2024 12:55 PM

United Airlines flight attendants can be rude, dismissive ,and ignorant. One is used to this on US domestic flights but it really shows on international flights.

by Anonymousreply 54September 5, 2024 1:12 PM

I'm the mistaken assumption that there will be adequate public transportation in many parts of the US.

by Anonymousreply 55September 5, 2024 1:46 PM

[quote]I'm the European that will one day understand that being polite, friendly and "chatty" acts like social glue in a very diverse society.

Indeed. R46. [bold]Acting[/bold] bubbly and effusive and friendly has certainly bound the US together very nicely and smoothed out and harmonized that "very diverse culture."

Do you not think even fleetingly before writing? - just turn on the tap of pablum from a Civics class decades ago?

by Anonymousreply 56September 5, 2024 1:59 PM

Well, ever since that throw down, it's on!

by Anonymousreply 57September 5, 2024 2:28 PM

In the unusually harsh and vulgar swear words that surprise and offend Americans. A word like “cunt” or “wichser“ which r56 must hear often.

by Anonymousreply 58September 6, 2024 12:32 PM

R36, R49 is correct. Buy your lids in Macy's. The Herald Square store has a nice selection of official, well made lids with accompanying teams (of all sports) clothing. They're not cheap, but the stuff will last for years.

by Anonymousreply 59September 7, 2024 2:03 AM

R53, I wasn't rude in the slightest to the United Airlines flight attendants. In fact, my interaction with them was the bare minimum, because they didn't engage much with the passengers - even when throwing the food down - and this was a transatlantic flight. Fat, out of shape, ugly and generally not suitable-looking for the job is an objective description of them.

They for sure didn't look anything like in the photo at link (except like the large lady on the end, but she looks groomed, which none of them on my flights were).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 7, 2024 9:37 AM

They looked more like this guy, except they didn't fit into the aisles as well, their hair was flying around or greasy and they looked generally grubby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 7, 2024 9:42 AM

Also, they were about 25 years older than the large lady at the end.

by Anonymousreply 62September 7, 2024 9:45 AM

I’m the disdain for the tipping culture. Pay your staff adequately.

by Anonymousreply 63September 7, 2024 10:21 AM

R46 believe me, us Germans won't notice. German infrastructure has been sold out for decades.

by Anonymousreply 64September 7, 2024 10:29 AM

I’m the sheer horror when the bill is dropped on the table mid-second-bite of my main, with the passive-aggressive, “I’ll get that whenever you’re ready, no rush!” It most certainly is a rush.

by Anonymousreply 65September 7, 2024 11:06 AM

I'm shaking my head in disbelief when I hear your stories about collection calls, wage garnishments , 'payment plans' , bankruptcy filing, all over medical debt. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 66September 7, 2024 12:05 PM

[quote] Route 66 into the real America

[quote](How many otherwise well travelled and intelligent European friends have I tried to dissuade of this very bad idea?)

I've done road trips on Route 66 several times and it's a lot of fun. Some of you prisspots need to unclench and get out more.

by Anonymousreply 67September 7, 2024 1:17 PM

"You have to pay for an ambulance in an emergency? How much?! That's impossible."

by Anonymousreply 68September 7, 2024 1:23 PM

I'm this fat American telling tourists what NOT to do in america.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 7, 2024 2:04 PM

I'm getting my first look at the Grand Canyon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 7, 2024 2:10 PM

We went to Buc-ee's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 7, 2024 2:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!