Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ugandan Olympian Set on Fire by Her Boyfriend After Running at the Paris Games

Ugandan marathon runner Rebecca Cheptegei was attacked and set on fire by her boyfriend just weeks after competing in the Paris 2024 Olympics, Trans-Nzoia County police officers in Kenya said. The athlete is now being treated for severe burns covering 75% of her body, per reports.

On Monday, Police Commander Jeremiah ole Kosiom said Cheptegei’s boyfriend Dickson Ndiema attacked her at her western Trans-Nzoia County, Kenya, home at around 3 p.m. local time on Sunday after the two got into a heated argument.

According to a police filing by the local chief, Ndiema and Cheptegei had a dispute over land for a house Cheptegei recently bought. Per her parents, she purchased the land in Trans-Nzoia so she could be near the athletic training centers in the area.

Kosiom said Ndiema set Cheptegei on fire after dousing her with a gallon of petrol.

“Ndiema is believed to have sneaked into the compound at around 2:00 p.m. on Sunday while the wife and the children were in Church. Upon returning, Dickson, who had procured petrol, began pouring it on Rebecca before he set her ablaze,” Kosiom told The Standard in an interview. “The couple was heard quarreling outside their house. During the altercation, the boyfriend was seen pouring a liquid on the woman before burning her. The suspect was also caught by the fire and sustained serious burns.”

Cheptegei, who finished in 44th place for the marathon at the Summer Games, is reportedly in critical condition and is receiving specialized treatment at Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2024 1:13 AM

Trash ass human being. He will get his.

by Anonymousreply 1September 4, 2024 5:39 AM

Horrifying. That poor woman. And they have children...really sad story.

by Anonymousreply 2September 4, 2024 5:41 AM

How awful. I hope he gets what he deserves.

by Anonymousreply 3September 4, 2024 5:43 AM

[quote]after the two got into a heated argument.

On purpose?

by Anonymousreply 4September 4, 2024 5:45 AM

Disgusting p.o.s.

by Anonymousreply 5September 4, 2024 10:35 AM

This is the worst thing you can do to someone without killing them. Death would be better. She will be in significant pain for life.

I wish him a painful and prolonged death.

by Anonymousreply 6September 4, 2024 4:22 PM

Is this a “man must triumph over woman” culture?

Ugh. She deserved much better than him.

by Anonymousreply 7September 4, 2024 4:24 PM

Poor lady.

Now SHE deserves a GoFundMe.

by Anonymousreply 8September 4, 2024 10:19 PM

You really have to hate somebody to do them like that. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 9September 4, 2024 10:20 PM

It's hard to know what to wish for her. Survival? would that be merciful for her?

At least the perpetrator got "caught by the fire" himself, I hope he's in pain every day.

by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2024 10:22 PM

How terrible ! And I just saw a Youtube séries about Uganda, the Pearl of Africa. One of the best places in the world for volcano and gorilla viewing.

by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2024 11:01 PM

What a horrific story. I can muster no snark.

A friend from Ethiopia says women in most African countries are treated very poorly.

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2024 11:11 PM

It's terrifying how many utter misogynists are in relationships with women.

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2024 11:26 PM

Papua New Guinea has to be the absolute worst place in the world for women, IMO. How unfortunate because I'd consider it the most exotic and beautiful trip of a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2024 11:32 PM

R14, what does this have to do with this horrifying piece of news? Papua New Guinea is in Oceania, whereas Uganda is in Southern Central Africa. The real problem is that these cultures, which have always been violent but up to 18th Century colonization were relatively tolerant, absorbed the very worst traits and prejudices of their European colonizers in the 19th Century, and this has had a devastating impact on the quality of life of many minorities, as well as women in general.

The only thing that we can hope is that as Asia and Africa shake off the yoke of neo-colonialism, they start to properly develop and these backward attitudes (whereas they are inherent or imposed by foreign powers) disappear with greater prosperity and better education. What a terribly sad situation; I hope that this lady gets the best treatment there is and can resume her life without problems.

by Anonymousreply 15September 4, 2024 11:45 PM

R15, you are correct in that mine was a non sequitur of a comment. I guess I was responding to R12's comment.

by Anonymousreply 16September 4, 2024 11:50 PM

[QUOTE]Ndiema is believed to have sneaked into the compound at around 2:00 p.m. on Sunday while the wife and the children were in Church

Whose wife and children?

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2024 12:00 AM

Poor Rebecca died from her injuries.

RIP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2024 6:25 PM

R18 I saw that earlier. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2024 6:26 PM

Rebecca Cheptegei, a Ugandan marathon runner who competed in the Paris Olympics last month, has died days after she was burned by her boyfriend, the country’s athletics federation confirmed on X, formerly known as Twitter, Thursday.

“We are deeply saddened to announce the passing of our athlete, Rebecca Cheptegei early this morning who tragically fell victim to domestic violence,” the Uganda Athletics Federation posted. “As a federation, we condemn such acts and call for justice. May her soul rest In Peace.”

Cheptegei, 33, who lived in Kenya, had been in a critical condition after suffering burns on 75% of her body following Sunday’s attack at her house in the western Trans Nzoia County. Her death was also confirmed on X by the Kenyan Olympic Team.

Cheptegei finished 44th in the women’s marathon at the Paris Olympics weeks ago. International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach said her participation at the Games “was a source of inspiration, pride and joy”, adding he was “shocked and deeply saddened” to learn about her death and “the horrible attack against her.”

Trans Nzoia County police commander Jeremiah ole Kosiom said earlier this week that the athlete had been doused in petrol by her boyfriend, Dickson Ndiema, who stormed her house with a jerry can of gasoline and set fire to her after a disagreement over land. Ndiema, who was also burned, is being treated at a hospital in the city of Eldoret.

A medical official at the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital where Cheptegei was being treated told CNN affiliate Citizen TV on Thursday that she suffered multi-organ failure late Wednesday.

Cheptegei’s mother, Agnes – who spoke to reporters outside the hospital on Thursday – described her as “a good child.”

Her father, Joseph, blamed the Kenyan government and police for failing to prevent her death.

“I blame her death on negligence by the government because the authorities should have taken it seriously when we first reported that this man [Ndiema] had become problematic and he was fighting her. We reported to the police, to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations but they didn’t take any action to save her life,” he told journalists.

CNN has contacted the Kenyan police and the Directorate of Criminal Investigations for comment.

Uganda’s minister of state for sports, Peter Ogwang, described Cheptegei’s death as “tragic” in a post on X Thursday, adding that “Kenyan authorities are investigating the circumstances under which she died and a more detailed report and program will be provided in due course.”

Kenya’s sports minister Kipchumba Murkomen said in a statement that Cheptegei’s death was “not only a loss to Uganda and the athletics community, but to the entire region.”

Cheptegei is the third elite female athlete to be killed in Kenya in the last three years.

In 2021, 25-year-old Kenyan Olympic runner Agnes Tirop was found dead in her Iten home in the country’s Elgeyo-Marakwet County with stab wounds in her neck. Her husband, Ibrahim Rotich, was charged with murder after Kenyan prosecutors accused him of killing her.

Months later, another Kenyan athlete Damaris Mutua, 28, was found strangled in a home with a pillow over her face. Mutua had just placed third at a half marathon in Angola earlier that month. Authorities said her boyfriend was the main suspect.

Sports minister Murkomen said the latest tragedy involving Cheptegei “is a stark reminder that we must do more to combat gender-based violence in our society, which in recent years has reared its ugly head in elite sporting circles.”

Amnesty International Kenya also said that Cheptegei’s death “highlights the urgent need to address femicide” in the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2024 6:27 PM

May she rest in peace. I hope that SOB husband lingers in lifelong excruciating pain.

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2024 8:39 PM

r18 honestly, I was a little relieved to hear she had died. Her life would have been excruciating.

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2024 10:37 PM

[quote] Man accused of setting Ugandan marathon runner Rebecca Cheptegei on fire dies in hospital

The man accused of killing Olympic marathon runner Rebecca Cheptegei by dousing her in petrol and setting her alight has also died, according to the hospital where they were both treated.

Cheptegei’s former boyfriend, Dickson Ndiema, died at the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital in Eldoret on Monday night after being admitted to intensive care following the attack on Cheptegei.

The death was initially reported by both The Times and The Star in Kenya, before a spokesperson for the hospital confirmed the news.

Ndiema died at 7.50pm (4.50pm BST) on Monday, said Daniel Lang’at, a spokesperson for Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital.

“He died from his injuries, the burns he sustained,” Lang’at told Reuters. Local media reported that he had suffered 30 per cent burns when he assaulted Cheptegei as she was returning home from church with her children.

World Athletics have pledged to investigate how they can protect female athletes following Cheptegei’s death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 11, 2024 1:23 AM

Too bad, I was hoping he'd suffer longer.

by Anonymousreply 24September 11, 2024 1:43 AM

She had a beautiful inner light but it couldn’t burn forever.

by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2024 6:42 PM

R7. Yep. And one thing is for sure - Europe needs more like him!

by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2024 6:51 PM

This is a detail I missed.

[QUOTE]he assaulted Cheptegei as she was returning home from church with her children.

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2024 7:22 PM

[quote] Slain Ugandan Olympian laid to rest with full military honors

Ugandan Olympic marathon runner Rebecca Cheptegei was laid to rest in her hometown of Bukwo, on Saturday.

The 33-year-old died after allegedly being doused in petrol and set alight by her former partner in the Kenyan village where she was living...

just three weeks after returning from a 44th place finish at the Paris Olympic Games.

She was given a burial with full military honours.

As a brass band played at her funeral, soldiers from the Uganda's People's Defence Forces acted as pall bearers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2024 1:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!