Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DIY Home Cleaning Products that REALLY work

DIY home cleaning product videos are all over the instagram. Stock in baking soda and white vinegar must be through the roof. I always save the videos but I have only tried a few. The one that REALLY worked miracles for me was a combination of white vinegar and dish soap in a spray bottle to clean soap scum off of glass shower doors. I just douse the glass doors, let it sit five minutes, then sponge all the built up soap scum away. The glass looks brand new. I go crazy with a squeegee of course, because a squeegee is my jam. I just love how affective this solution is. Do you have one that you swear by?

BTW, I am still looking for something to clean baked-on / caked-on pans. Salt and baking soda ain’t it.

by Anonymousreply 58October 2, 2024 9:43 AM

Op try Dawn

by Anonymousreply 1September 3, 2024 10:45 PM

Dawn cleans pans. It doesn’t get the baked in crud off the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 2September 3, 2024 10:47 PM

[quote] Op try Dawn

Is Dawn the house cleaner’s name? Contact info please.

by Anonymousreply 3September 3, 2024 10:48 PM

Soak it in dawn bitch it will loosen up your bad cooking

by Anonymousreply 4September 3, 2024 10:49 PM

I cleaned my windows with a mixture of white vinegar and dish soap and they have never been cleaned. I use vinegar to clean all surfaces and my bathroom floor. Cheaper, less toxic and works just as well if not better.

by Anonymousreply 5September 3, 2024 11:45 PM

Why do all this cleaning when you can hire a hot muscled guy who will take off his shirt and do it for you at a nominal cost ?

by Anonymousreply 6September 4, 2024 12:41 AM

Dawn dish soap. I used it directly on pit stains and saved a favorite t-shirt from being tossed due to body odor. I use dawn to clean the toilet too.

by Anonymousreply 7September 4, 2024 12:51 AM

The right colored.

by Anonymousreply 8September 4, 2024 12:55 AM

[quote] I used it directly on pit stains and saved a favorite t-shirt from being tossed due to body odor.

Ewwwwwwwwww! Gross. Toss the friggin shirt and replace it if it stinks of BO. Yuck !

by Anonymousreply 9September 4, 2024 1:23 AM

No. It was a favorite shirt. I treated the pits with dawn before washing in a machine and the pit stain along with the stench is gone.

by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2024 1:38 AM

Combination of baking soda and vinegar to clean drains. Make sure you use just enough for it to bubble up.

by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2024 1:56 AM

Same as R11, with a round of boiling hot water afterward. Doesn’t remove total blockages so well but it will clear minor drain buildup.

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2024 2:00 AM

[quote] BTW, I am still looking for something to clean baked-on / caked-on pans. Salt and baking soda ain’t it.

It's not DIY, but Easy-Off oven cleaner. Try the fume-free one.

After that, do more regular maintenance with EG Barkeeper's Friend.

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2024 2:11 AM

I have a friend who’s a bar keeper.

by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2024 2:55 AM

A couple of years ago I bought a 20kg bag of citric acid and a 10kg bag of bicarb soda from a wholesaler. Combined with double strength white vinegar from the supermarket, they helped tremendously to clear the drains. They are great for cleaning. Make up the citric acid powder with boiling water at a ratio of 1:3 (be extremely careful and use a faceshield and rubber gloves which can withstand corrosive chemicals) and you can clean pretty much anything. If that doesn't do it, use a flour sifter to add in bicarb. Don't just throw lumps of bicarb in there. Always do this kind of cleaning over a drain (sink, shower, bath), and you'll help stop the muck building up down there.

by Anonymousreply 15September 4, 2024 3:12 AM

I'll tell you one that DOESN'T work! LOL!!! Two years ago I read a blog that gave DIY for feminine hygiene and one of them was dousching with yoghurt for a yeast infection! Suffice to say it took me days to get all of the clotted yoghurt out from down there, everytime I'd shower I'd have another clump of what appeared to be cottage cheese drop out from inside me! GROSSS LOL!!! I made on comment on the gal's blog about my experience and she told me I wasn't supposed to used flavored yoghurt (I used Danone Boysenberry, because it's my favorite and I always buy it in bulk when it's available at Costco), so I tried it again using plain yoghurt and wouldn't you know it, I'm trying to scrape all the curds of yoghurt out from down there for days after, the only difference is these don't have chunks of boysenberry!!! LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 16September 4, 2024 3:21 AM

Did you eat the curds and whey?

by Anonymousreply 17September 4, 2024 3:24 AM

R16 is Liza Minnelli.

by Anonymousreply 18September 4, 2024 4:43 AM

[quote]a combination of white vinegar and dish soap in a spray bottle

half and half? (i.e., 1:1 ratio?)

by Anonymousreply 19September 4, 2024 4:48 AM

I'm guessing way more vinegar than dish soap.

by Anonymousreply 20September 4, 2024 4:56 AM

Bar Keeper's Friend With Benefits for a more powerful scrub

by Anonymousreply 21September 4, 2024 4:58 AM

Dish soap: how do you combine with vinegar?

by Anonymousreply 22September 4, 2024 5:09 AM

meh. I have a special degreaser used by painters and other professional tradesman. Even the lowest possible solution removes grease and grime. It's 10 bucks a box of powder which lasts a year or longer. DIY is dumb. Vinegar doesn't do half what people claim.

Microfibre polyester cloths are the bomb. They will tackle many cleaning challenges using any detergent and you don't need a lot of the detergent. the cheapest cheapest budget dish shop works. It's the microfibers that lift the substances off where they should not be.

I live in polluted cities and microfibre + degreaser cleans all windows and surfaces effortlessly. Change the water in the bucket frequently.

by Anonymousreply 23September 4, 2024 5:09 AM

For a clogged toilet, remove most water and squeeze several tblsp of Dawn, wait 15 minutes and add a bucket of hot water. It should flush right through.

by Anonymousreply 24September 4, 2024 5:41 AM

[quote] Why do all this cleaning when you can hire a hot muscled guy who will take off his shirt and do it for you at a nominal cost ?

Because we aren’t all fat sluts with zero options R6.

by Anonymousreply 25September 4, 2024 8:42 AM

R19, I just eyeball it really. I put just enough vinegar to do the job in the spray bottle and just a squirt of Dawn (the same amount you might use to do dishes), not much. Then I shake it before using.

by Anonymousreply 26September 4, 2024 8:47 AM

Dish soap = washing up liquid (detergent)?

by Anonymousreply 27September 4, 2024 10:16 AM

[quote] meh. I have a special degreaser used by painters and other professional tradesman. Even the lowest possible solution removes grease and grime. It's 10 bucks a box of powder which lasts a year or longer.

Would be helpful if you could provide a link to said product.

by Anonymousreply 28September 4, 2024 12:03 PM

During the pandemic daily shower sprays (which prevent mould / mildew buildup) all but disappeared from store shelves so I found a recipe for a substitute that I’ve been using ever since, and for a cost that’s a fraction of the prepared solutions:

1/2 cup of isopropyl alcohol (99%) 1/2 cut of hydrogen peroxide 3% 1 tsp dish soap 1 tablespoon of dishwasher rinse agent A few drops of your favourite essential oil (optional) for scent About 900ml / 4 cups of water Combine in a spray bottle and it works like a charm.

by Anonymousreply 29September 4, 2024 12:07 PM

[quote]white vinegar and dish soap in a spray bottle to clean soap scum off of glass shower doors.

The vinegar is doing the work. You add vinegar to take soap out/off of things. May as well just spray it with vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2024 12:17 PM

r16 I'm repulsed by that reply.

by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2024 12:24 PM

This thread is obviously being sponsored by the manufacturers of Dawn.

by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2024 3:24 PM

R31

by Anonymousreply 33September 4, 2024 6:20 PM

Fuck you r33

by Anonymousreply 34September 4, 2024 6:33 PM

I’m not Heloise

by Anonymousreply 35September 4, 2024 10:14 PM

I just bought a Eureka cordless stick vacuum on sale at Amazon. It's awesome, I don't know why it look me so long to get one. I'll bet I will rarely if ever need to get out my bulky upright again.

by Anonymousreply 36September 29, 2024 3:55 AM

How do you successfully clean the bottom of pots?

by Anonymousreply 37September 29, 2024 7:43 AM

R28 it's Rico.

RICO Entfettungs-Laugenpulver Rico poudre de dégraissage

by Anonymousreply 38September 29, 2024 12:15 PM

When you clean your oven, R37, you use the same crap on your pot bottoms. You’re already wearing Frankenfurter gloves, I see. Put them to use.

by Anonymousreply 39September 29, 2024 12:37 PM

The guy who installed my glass shower screen told me if it got soap scum build-up, to clean it with dishwashing liquid (or whatever you prefer) and use an exfoliating mitt of the type you use on yourself in the shower. Said it won't scratch the surface. It works well.

In the kitchen, just get a pyrolitic oven. Miraculous results, and no chemicals involved whatever. You do have to clean the door first, that's all. As we all move from gas to electric cooking, bear this in mind.

by Anonymousreply 40September 29, 2024 1:32 PM

It's not a DIY home cleaning product but I want to give a shout out to Shout. It is the only product I have found that gets dried cum stains out of fabric.

by Anonymousreply 41September 29, 2024 1:37 PM

R41 sucking on the fabric does the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 42September 29, 2024 2:16 PM

[quote] BTW, I am still looking for something to clean baked-on / caked-on pans.

OP I have had a lot of luck with putting them in a trash bag, spraying them with oven cleaner, close up the bag, put it out in the sun for about a half hour, they should clean right up. Of course wear rubber gloves when you remove them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 29, 2024 10:39 PM

I had an Ozempic accident in my pants this morning and Dawn saved my favorite pair of jeans!

by Anonymousreply 44September 29, 2024 10:54 PM

[quote]OP: I just love how affective this solution is.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 45September 30, 2024 12:03 AM

^saying

by Anonymousreply 46September 30, 2024 12:03 AM

I have a feeling that all of these magic potions in spray bottles (peroxide, alcohol, Dawn, vinegar, etc.) work because of the elbow grease.

by Anonymousreply 47September 30, 2024 1:11 AM

Not just the elbow grease, but the regularity of applications. I.e., if you wipe down the shower 7X a week with this magic potion, voila, the shower just stays clean!

by Anonymousreply 48September 30, 2024 1:12 AM

Way to tap into your feminine energy, r32. Not the nurturing part of femininity. The abortive, emasculating, overly critical part.

There is nothing preventing you from contributing your own Suzy homemaker tips rather than scold everyone else's.

by Anonymousreply 49September 30, 2024 1:35 AM

Vinegar, water and a microfiber cloth to clean windows.

by Anonymousreply 50September 30, 2024 2:02 AM

Do any of these suggestions include info about how to clean shower tile grout and/or get rid of mold in the corner of the shower?

by Anonymousreply 51September 30, 2024 2:05 AM

I use a small amount of Dr. Bronner's Sal suds with water in a spray bottle to clean different surfaces around the house.

by Anonymousreply 52September 30, 2024 3:18 AM

[quote] Do any of these suggestions include info about how to clean shower tile grout and/or get rid of mold in the corner of the shower?

I'm guessing chlorine bleach (Clorox) is involved.

by Anonymousreply 53September 30, 2024 3:21 AM

I gave up using ammonia as a cleaner when a pissy rescue cat moved in with me.

It’s a noxious and efficient cleaning tool.

by Anonymousreply 54September 30, 2024 6:00 AM

Aunt Such n Such’s cleaning vinegar eucalyptus scent

by Anonymousreply 55September 30, 2024 4:44 PM

I haven't purchased store-bought detergent since I started making my own laundry detergent powder.

Found the recipe with a YouTube video.

I make a year's worth at a time. I store it in a re-used pretzel container.

Easy-greasy.

by Anonymousreply 56September 30, 2024 4:55 PM

R47 and R48, it's not a lot of elbow grease for the glass shower doors. You just have to leave it on longer. Vinegar in small confined spaces is surprisingly noxious too. You do have to clean it with a sponge, wipe it, but not aggressively. If your doors are bad, you might have to do it twice. But It's better than anything I have bought in store made specifically for cleaning shower doors and soap scum.

by Anonymousreply 57October 2, 2024 8:20 AM

It's greasy?

by Anonymousreply 58October 2, 2024 9:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!