Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who is being seriously talked about for a Best Actress nomination at the next Oscars?

Angelina Jolie -- Maria

Tilda Swinton -- The Room Next Door

Lady Gaga -- Joker: Folie a Deux

Who else?

by Anonymousreply 140October 3, 2024 11:54 PM

[quote]Lady Gaga -- Joker: Folie a Deux

Uhm, no.

by Anonymousreply 1September 3, 2024 2:28 AM

Glenn Close for The Deliverance

by Anonymousreply 2September 3, 2024 2:29 AM

Saoirse Ronan.

by Anonymousreply 3September 3, 2024 2:30 AM

That would be for Best Supporting Actress, r2.

by Anonymousreply 4September 3, 2024 2:31 AM

Amy Adam’s is currently in the top spot on Gold Derby predictions for Nightbitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 3, 2024 2:41 AM

Why does Lady Gaga always come up? She sucks at acting.

by Anonymousreply 6September 3, 2024 2:59 AM

Glenn for Alberta

by Anonymousreply 7September 3, 2024 3:12 AM

Emma Stone for Kinds of Kindness (and Jesse Plemons for Best Actor).

by Anonymousreply 8September 3, 2024 3:15 AM

Do you think they'll give Emma Stone a third oscar? Even Meryl only won two Best, one Supporting. She would tie with only Katherine Hepburn. I haven't seen it nor do I know anything about so I can't give an opinion.

by Anonymousreply 9September 3, 2024 3:21 AM

[quote]Amy Adam’s

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 10September 3, 2024 3:29 AM

r8 Can't see that happening, film's not nearly as approachable as Poor Things, which will drag her down.

by Anonymousreply 11September 3, 2024 3:30 AM

[quote]Do you think they'll give Emma Stone a third oscar? Even Meryl only won two Best, one Supporting. She would tie with only Katherine Hepburn.

Doesn’t Frances McDormand have three?

by Anonymousreply 12September 3, 2024 3:31 AM

Amy Adams is in dire need of a hit.

by Anonymousreply 13September 3, 2024 3:35 AM

With the exception of maybe Angelina Jolie and Nicole Kidman, it's going to be the battle of the nobodies:

Karla Sofia Gascon, Emilia Pérez

Mikey Madison, Anora

Angelina Jolie, Maria

Nicole Kidman, Babygirl

Saoirse Ronan, The Outrun

Alts: Amy Adams, Nightbitch; Cynthia Erivo, Wicked; Lady Gaga, Joker: Folie a Deux; Julianne Moore, the Room Next Door

by Anonymousreply 14September 3, 2024 3:42 AM

Not Nicole Kidman, people are tired of her. Haven't seen Maria but Angelina Jolie is talented. Saoirse is an actress people have never warmed up to. Amy Adams has done some good work. Never have I cared for Julianne Moore. The rest I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 15September 3, 2024 4:05 AM

The things I loved about Meryl Streep the most were her gestures and mannerisms. I miss her. In the Bridges of Madison County when she was riding in the truck with Clint Eastwood, she said there's that mean yellow dog. He said it's white. She replied what? He said the dog is white not yellow and her body language said what the fuck does that matter, you knew what I was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2024 4:16 AM

I’m down for any of them in OP’s list.

We need some actual Hollywood glam this year.

by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2024 4:22 AM

Nightbitch sounds like a 30 Rock idea for a movie.

by Anonymousreply 18September 3, 2024 4:28 AM

I hear January Jones is great in the movie Bump.

by Anonymousreply 19September 3, 2024 4:36 AM

Marie Dressler in Tugboat Annie 2: Annie's Revenge

by Anonymousreply 20September 3, 2024 4:38 AM

Glenn Close is a front-runner for The Deliverance. This brief but powerful scene is her ticket to Oscar gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 3, 2024 4:40 AM

I still insist that she should have won the oscar for Reversal of Fortune but not even nominated, such a slap in the face. A no brainer, such is Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 22September 3, 2024 4:47 AM

Susan Dey in "LA Law -- The Movie."

by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2024 4:54 AM

Please stop trying to make Glenn happen. She won’t be nominated for a Netflix horror film that received bad reviews.

I read Angelina is miscast as Maria Callas.

I also doubt Nicole will be nominated for a silly sex film.

It feels up for grabs with no clear front runner.

by Anonymousreply 24September 3, 2024 4:55 AM

R23. I hear Susan Rattan is angling for Supporting...

by Anonymousreply 25September 3, 2024 4:56 AM

Viola Davis

by Anonymousreply 26September 3, 2024 4:57 AM

Blake Lively.

by Anonymousreply 27September 3, 2024 4:58 AM

Where is Lynn Stairmaster when you need her?

by Anonymousreply 28September 3, 2024 5:02 AM

Variety’s list

1 Saoirse Ronan — “The Outrun” (Sony Pictures Classics)

2 Julianne Moore — “The Room Next Door” (Sony Pictures Classics)

3 Karla Sofía Gascón — “Emilia Pérez” (Netflix)

4 Mikey Madison — “Anora” (Neon)

5 Marianne Jean-Baptiste — “Hard Truths” (Bleecker Street)

by Anonymousreply 29September 3, 2024 5:07 AM

The title Baby Girl is gross. It's just so pedo. YUCK.

by Anonymousreply 30September 3, 2024 5:08 AM

So Tilda is Supporting, and Julianne is Lead for the Almodovar movie? I thought it was the other way around, but that’s cool. I’d love for a Julianne to get nominated again.

by Anonymousreply 31September 3, 2024 6:07 AM

[quote] Karla Sofía Gascón

That’s the drag queen with a quarterback physique who gave the emotional speech at Cannes?

If he becomes the first tranny to get an Oscar nom Miss Laverne will have something to say.

by Anonymousreply 32September 3, 2024 6:13 AM

[R1] Uhmmm YES. Why shouldn’t she be? She’s a critically acclaimed past Oscar nominee. Verdict is still to be seen but if she delivers why tf not?

by Anonymousreply 33September 3, 2024 6:16 AM

Billy Porter as Viola Davis as Glenn Close in Deliverance

by Anonymousreply 34September 3, 2024 6:40 AM

New York Times has an article on Karla Sofia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 3, 2024 6:44 AM

Jennifer Lopez in the much acclaimed film “BEN Done Wrong…..Again.

by Anonymousreply 36September 3, 2024 7:46 AM

Well Angela certainly believes she should have that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 37September 3, 2024 9:17 AM

Yeah Jack, this is Faye Dunaway... Look I've raced some of the stuff from the O'Neill interview but I'm not really interested in Terry O'Neill - he's a BIG, BIG LIAR and I'm really not interested in in him and you know all and dilly-dallying and carrying over Mommie Dearest...I don't even want to discuss it in my interview or on this Lloyd-Webber thing: those are NEGATIVES and I notice that you have nothing in about Marlon Brando, you have nothing in about Johnny Depp which I did two films with, I don't expect you to get get him for an interview, but you could put some footage in of the of the Kusturica movie which I was BRILLIANT in and it was not well sold in this country you can talk about the Marlon Brando film that I was wonderful in. All the POSITIVE things along that that period, the Marlon Brando film was going on at the same time that the Lloyd-Webber STUPIDITY was going on and you all have to put in the Lloyd-Webber STUPIDITY, you can't put in that I worked with the wonderful Marlon Brando and talk to the director of that movie FOR CHRISTSAKE! And I'm not gonna approve it and I'm really upset now because that uh for two nights now tried to thread through that STUPID interview with a with a man that I will not even waste my time discussing. And and you know who, suffice it to say, stopped working when he married me and pretended to be my manager for a very long time so LET'S NOT EVEN GO THERE! It's very upsetting to me! And then to put my uh our child in JEOPARDY the way he has. So I'm not interested in these NEGATIVE things that you all are putting in there with me in! I don't want Llloys-Webber in, I'd like you to cut him out, and I'd like you to really trim down everything to do with that Mommie Dearest, I'm not gonna talk about it, maybe one thing I'm gonna say about it and THAT'S ALL. It's just like uh you know an obsession, why can't you be obsessed about POSITIVE THINGS?! About Marlon Brando? About the Kusturica movie that was THE HIT OF ALL THE EUROPE AND CANNES? About uh, the film I did with Brando and talk to that, YOU KNOW?!

by Anonymousreply 38September 3, 2024 9:38 AM

This movie sounds like something worth watching. It's great that Tilda and Julianne are playing women in their early 60s.

Nicole, take note.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 3, 2024 10:35 AM

The problem that "Maria" will have is not seeming like a Made-For-TV movie, what with having to include Ari and Jackie, for whom he left Callas.

AJ will have to totally lip-synch.

But ultimately, as with "Maestro" and the upcoming "A Complete Unknown" (yes, boldly predicting), the audience will prove insufficient.

by Anonymousreply 40September 3, 2024 11:00 AM

I could see Angelina being snubbed but she will pay a lot in self promotion to get nominated.

What happened to Jessica Lange in LDJIN? Can’t get a distributor?

by Anonymousreply 41September 3, 2024 2:12 PM

New York Times The Projectionist

Nicole Kidman won the best actress award at Venice for the erotic “Babygirl,” which also finds her falling for a younger man. The Venice trophy will help Kidman build a case for her sixth Oscar nomination (she won for “The Hours”), though she’ll face a surplus of strong lead-actress contenders who also emerged from the fall fests: Angelina Jolie as the opera diva Maria Callas in “Maria”; the Brazilian star Fernanda Torres in “I’m Still Here”; Marianne Jean-Baptiste as a mouthy malcontent in Mike Leigh’s “Hard Truths”; and the double act of Tilda Swinton and Julianne Moore in Pedro Almodóvar’s empathetic “The Room Next Door,” which won the top prize in Venice, the Golden Lion.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2024 1:30 AM

Lady Gaga is being entered in Supporting. And I doubt she’s getting in.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2024 1:32 AM

R16, I admire & respect her work as well.

She’s one of the great ones in American cinema, & deserves her accolades.

I like Jolie, but I’ve never seen her do a fantastic job other than in Girl Interrupted, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, & Maleficent.

I’d be thrilled to see Close get her little bald guy. I hope the Academy doesn’t pull a Peter O’Toole on her.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2024 2:20 AM

I think people are getting sick and tired of Nicole Kidman. I can't remember who it was but one of the hosts or presenters at the Emmys eluded to that.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2024 2:28 AM

I seem to remember a recent thread on this very site exclaiming there was Oscar buzz for Pamela Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2024 2:32 AM

[quote]R22 I still insist that she should have won the oscar for Reversal of Fortune but not even nominated, such a slap in the face.

Sunny really isn’t a very large role, and it lacks variety. And she doesn’t have any big emotional scenes. (Neither does Jeremy Irons, come to think of it, but at least he has a lot more to do.)

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2024 2:34 AM

Whoever thought you would ever see the words “Oscar buzz” and “Pamela Anderson” in the same sentence?

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2024 2:35 AM

R48. Not us!

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2024 2:38 AM

That was my reaction r48. But I haven't seen it so who knows? Anyone here?

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2024 2:39 AM

Angelina Jolie was very good in The Changeling. The only time I liked her in anything.

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2024 2:53 AM

I bet this year will be akin to when The Kids Are All Right was out and Annette Bening got a nod but Julianne didn’t. I can see Tilda getting in and Julianne being shut out again. I’m glad she has an Oscar, but she should have many more nominations and even more Oscars. Should have won for Far From Heaven (beaten by Kidman’s fake nose) and Boogie Nights (lost to Kim Basinger!)

I am still pissed she was passed over for May/December. And Magnolia. And TKAAR,Gloria Bell, etc.

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2024 2:54 AM

Correction - I also liked her in The Bone Collector. She and Denzel were making googly eyes at each other in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2024 2:57 AM

[quote]Who is being seriously talked about for a Best Actress nomination at the next Oscars?

OP, perhaps here is the answer to your question:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2024 2:59 AM

I believe you're thinking of Steve Martin, r45. He made a joke that if he didn't know who someone was, he would just tell them that he loved them in that scene with Nicole Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2024 3:23 AM

Your mom

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2024 4:35 AM

Julianne Moore and Tilda Swinton are both going up for lead. So they will be competing against each other all season.

The Academy loves biopics. Angelina is pretty much a slam dunk to get a nod if the film is anywhere decent.

Those three, plus Nicole Kidman and Amy Adams in their respective films, means you've got five heavyweights (four of whom are former winners) in contention. Add Saorise Ronan to that mix (she already has four Oscar nods, and I hear that she's sensational in The Outrun), and it's six major players vying for five spots.

And that doesn't include the new ladies who are making big waves at the various festivals, nor Demi Moore, whose comeback will be catnip.

I'm now wondering if Danielle Deadwyler is going to go for supporting for The Piano Lesson, even though she's clearly a lead. It'd suck if she barely misses the cut again.

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2024 12:59 PM

R12, Hepburn has 4

McDormsand has 3

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2024 1:01 PM

Lady Blah Blah isn't getting shit

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2024 1:56 PM

Pamela Anderson for The Last Showgirl.

Yes, you read that correctly.

by Anonymousreply 60September 18, 2024 1:58 PM

Some of the stars will have to sit this out. The Academy is more diverse and won’t nominate five white womenfolk.

by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2024 2:10 PM

Blitz is an unknown at this point but if it hits Seersha has a strong "it's her time" narrative.

by Anonymousreply 62September 18, 2024 2:20 PM

I'd put money on Nicole Kidman. Best Actress at Venice, Babygirl has great buzz out of the festivals and the drumbeat for she should have another Oscar after 6 nominations will be strong. I'd at least bet on a strong critics prize haul. They're really into giving 2nd Oscars out these days: Stone, McDormand (3!), Mahershala Ali, Christoph Walz. There doesn't seem to be a she done already done have hers phobia.

by Anonymousreply 63September 18, 2024 2:25 PM

[quote]Blitz is an unknown at this point but if it hits Seersha has a strong "it's her time" narrative.

Saoirse has both "Blitz" and "The Outrun" that could put her in contention.

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2024 2:43 PM

[quote] Marianne Jean-Baptiste as a mouthy malcontent in Mike Leigh’s “Hard Truths”

I recently rewatched Without a Trace and was wondering where she's been.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2024 4:44 PM

Angelina is a long shot even at this point. Maria Isn't going to generate much enthusiasm

by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2024 4:46 PM

Is Angelina winning the PR war in Hollywood? I thought Brad was more beloved. That will factor in.

by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2024 5:18 PM

I did this last year. Sort of Fantasy Football for Oscars. Free and fun.

by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2024 8:25 PM

Among the cast of The Hours Nicole Kidman's performance was the least notable. She won the Oscar that year for her work as the wife of Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 69September 18, 2024 11:37 PM

Beyonce

by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2024 2:51 AM

Yeah, people love Brad Pitt. She can't win.

by Anonymousreply 71September 19, 2024 4:05 AM

Angelina is a minimally talented nepo brat

by Anonymousreply 72September 19, 2024 4:17 AM

Forget the big money studio stuff and go see Carol Kane in Between The Temples. Sorry, Academy voters, she’s not emoting over the top, but is real and fun.

by Anonymousreply 73September 19, 2024 4:29 AM

I fear June Squib will be as overlooked for Thelma as Mary Kay Place was for Diane.

by Anonymousreply 74September 19, 2024 6:02 AM

Nicole is a tragedy of bad surgery, as is her husband. His hair is terrible, as are his tatts. Let's hope the Academy don't want photos of the two of them clasping her Oscar beamed around the world.

by Anonymousreply 75September 21, 2024 9:32 AM

R53, there was something about Jolie that the industry missed out on, & to me, it’s that she probably would have been a fantastic comedic actress.

Closer to a Parker Posey type, BEFORE she became somber & traumatized by the UNICEF work.

by Anonymousreply 76September 21, 2024 9:33 AM

Variety said on September 3 that Angelina was the front runner.

It’s been a long time since Jolie was contending for a statuette — her last acting nomination was for 2008’s “Changeling,” and she’s spent the time since then starring in popcorn movies like “Salt” and “Maleficent” or directing films like “Unbroken.”

Maria is the kind of role Jolie has been waiting for over 25 years, one that fully utilizes her undeniable commitment to a character. In the film’s final moments, her craft becomes physically evident: veins pulsate from her temple, and her hands arch like she’s summoning the thespian warlords to carry her through the anguish Callas may have felt in her last moments. It’s a bona fide “Oscar clip,” if ever there was one.

by Anonymousreply 77September 21, 2024 10:30 AM

Pablo Larraín saw Oscar nominations for Natalie Portman and inexplicably Kristen Stewart as part of his Diva trilogy so it make sense of Angelia gets one as well.

The Academy eats up that shit.

by Anonymousreply 78September 21, 2024 11:43 AM

Gaga will be in the Lead category, and is likely to win. Criticis were blown away at her performance and the make up used to transform her. She will revitalize her career with the win.

by Anonymousreply 79September 21, 2024 12:10 PM

R79 Thanks, Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 80September 21, 2024 1:06 PM

It's being reported that Saoirse Ronan will be campaigning as Best Supporting Actress for “Blitz,” avoiding the possibility of splitting her vote, as “The Outrun" has her as Best Actress.

by Anonymousreply 81September 22, 2024 1:16 AM

I don't even know which movies are going to be Oscar bait. I expect Conclave to get attention. Not sure. I need to keep up better.

by Anonymousreply 82September 22, 2024 1:33 AM

No makeup on earth can transform Blah Blah. The only thing that can work is a paper bag

by Anonymousreply 83September 22, 2024 3:06 PM

The stars of the highly-anticipated movie musical will not go head-to-head in the way that Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth did for the Broadway production.

A decision has been made to push Cynthia Erivo, the Grammy-winning and Oscar-nominated actress who will be portraying Elphaba (who becomes the Wicked Witch of the West), in the lead actress category, and Ariana Grande, the Grammy-winning and SAG Award-nominated actress who will be playing Glinda (who becomes the Good Witch), in the supporting category.

This path differs from the one enforced upon the original Broadway production by the Tony Awards Administration Committee 20 years ago. Back then, Idina Menzel, who created Elphaba, and Kristin Chenoweth, who originated Glinda, both competed in the category of best actress in a musical; both received nominations; and Menzel ended up winning.

However, the strategy for the upcoming film makes a lot of sense, given that only five films have ever managed to land noms for multiple actresses alongside each other in the best actress Oscar category — only All About Eve (1950), Suddenly, Last Summer (1959), The Turning Point (1977), Terms of Endearment (1983) and Thelma & Louise (1991) — and how competitive this year’s female acting categories are shaping up to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 22, 2024 4:05 PM

R84 Neither one of them will get nominated. And the movie will flop.

by Anonymousreply 85September 22, 2024 4:17 PM

[quote]R84 The stars of the highly-anticipated movie musical WICKED will not go head-to-head in the way that Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth did for the Broadway production.

I’ve mentioned it before… but I refuse to be silenced!

I was taken to lunch at author Gregory Maguire‘s house and all how did was lay out some half empty plastic containers of tuna, egg salad, olives, etc. I was appalled. I think we got a box of crackers, too.

What’s the point of becoming a multi millionaire if you’re going to serve guests deli scraps?

by Anonymousreply 86September 22, 2024 7:11 PM

R86. FAG!

by Anonymousreply 87September 22, 2024 7:14 PM

Keep an eye out for "Woman of the Hour", which is Anna Kendrick's directorial debut due out in October in the US but played at the Toronto festival in 2023 (and no idea if that means it's not eligible this year). It will resonate with a lot of the Oscar crowd and could pick up enough momentum to make some noise. She shows real skill as a director and I hope this isn't the last thing she helms.

by Anonymousreply 88September 22, 2024 10:29 PM

"Lee" the biopic about a female photographer covering WW II starring Kate Winslet is definitely going to be a movie and a performance to consider. And extra bonus, Andy Samberg is in it in a supporting role. Saw the trailer and it looks powerful.

by Anonymousreply 89September 22, 2024 11:55 PM

[quote] In the film’s final moments, her craft becomes physically evident: veins pulsate from her temple, and her hands arch like she’s summoning the thespian warlords to carry her through the anguish Callas may have felt in her last moments.

That sounds unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 90September 23, 2024 12:00 AM

The nominees for Actress will be

Angelina Jolie

Pamela Anderson

Mikey Madison

Demi Moore

And either Nicole Kidman, Tilda Swinton, Amy Adams or Cynthia Erivo for the fifth spot

Supporting will be:

Glenn Close

Natasha Lyonne

Carol Kane

Isabelle Rossellini

Danielle Deadwyler

by Anonymousreply 91September 23, 2024 12:11 AM

Please god not Nicole Kidman. Too needy.

by Anonymousreply 92September 23, 2024 12:30 AM

I find Emma Stone to be a fascinating actress. I root for her every time.

by Anonymousreply 93September 23, 2024 12:35 AM

Variety:

And the Predicted Nominees Are

1 Angelina Jolie — “Maria” (Netflix)

2 Saoirse Ronan — “The Outrun” (Sony Pictures Classics)

3 Mikey Madison — “Anora” (Neon)

4 Karla Sofía Gascón — “Emilia Pérez” (Netflix) **

5 Marianne Jean-Baptiste — “Hard Truths” (Bleecker Street)

Next in Line

6 Julianne Moore — “The Room Next Door” (Sony Pictures Classics) **

7 Demi Moore — “The Substance” (Mubi)

8 Cynthia Erivo — “Wicked” (Universal Pictures) **

9 Fernanda Torres — “I’m Still Here” (Sony Pictures Classics)

10 June Squibb — “Thelma” (Magnolia Pictures)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 23, 2024 2:17 AM

Saoirse Ronan has to be the most unmemorable multiple Oscar nominee ever. Has anyone actually seen any of her nominated performances?

by Anonymousreply 95September 23, 2024 2:25 AM

I saw Atonement and she was the least impressive in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 96September 23, 2024 2:46 AM

I don't want Jolie to win, she seems fucked up and mean. I haven't seen The Substance but I quite like Demi Moore.

by Anonymousreply 97September 23, 2024 3:02 AM

Demi Moore.

by Anonymousreply 98September 23, 2024 3:14 AM

Oscar considerations so white.

by Anonymousreply 99September 23, 2024 3:15 AM

Lady Gaga won’t be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 100September 23, 2024 3:15 AM

R99 But not so for POTUS.

by Anonymousreply 101September 23, 2024 3:30 AM

R101 is Janet Jackson

by Anonymousreply 102September 23, 2024 3:34 AM

When Wicked opened in SF, Galinda was the clear star of the show, Before Broadway, they reshaped it to be Elphie’s show.

by Anonymousreply 103September 23, 2024 3:50 AM

I t hought casting Angelina Jolie as Maria Callas was the stupidest idea since I don't know when.

by Anonymousreply 104September 23, 2024 3:54 AM

Demi and Julianne Moore will eclipse Jolie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 23, 2024 6:56 AM

Jolie will get it for her shitty performance. Mark my words. The industry is a shithole right now. They don’t care. They know that they’re making nothing but crap these days. Jolie has name recognition and playing a part that seems award-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 106September 23, 2024 8:01 AM

R106 Brad are you turning into a you know what. Why are you on this site?

by Anonymousreply 107September 23, 2024 8:25 AM

Here's a clip of Jolie as Maria. Smacks of trite, unapologetic Oscar bait to me. And they don't even *try* to make her look like Callas...because their physiognomies are totally different from one another. Hell, Anne Hathaway is closer. The accent isn't right and the whole thing feels so....bloodless. The real Maria was fiery and alive.

And yes, Nightbitch looks terrible. What the hell happened to AA in the last 8 years. Talk about career mismanagement. I assumed she had changed agents but no, apparently she's in that phase of her career where she wants (needs?) to executive produce all her projects. My guess is she's taking less advise fom her people and has decided to simply 'trust her gut.' Sadly it appears she's good actress...with terrible taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 23, 2024 9:41 AM

Erivo has to be the ugliest Elphaba ever.

by Anonymousreply 109September 23, 2024 9:57 AM

Gaga's makeup as The Joker is creepy, and she utilitzes many of Ceasar Romero's take on the role. Green hair, caustic laugh. She will shine in the role.

by Anonymousreply 110September 23, 2024 11:14 AM

The prospect of a white tranny being nominated for best actress over numerous women of colour is quite something.

The film looks fairly novel, and it's a shame it doesn't emphasise it's from the director of Read My Lips, The Beat My Heart Skipped, A Prophet and more importantly Rust And Bone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111September 23, 2024 11:24 AM

R108 Why does she sound like Mrs. Howell and not Italian?

by Anonymousreply 112September 23, 2024 2:07 PM

Sorry, not sorry, there will be no nominations for Pam, Glenn, Demi or GaGa. The Academy’s not a charity.

by Anonymousreply 113September 23, 2024 2:15 PM

Jolie is no longer relevant nor well-liked in Hollywood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 23, 2024 4:52 PM

[QUOTE] Gaga will be in the Lead category, and is likely to win. Criticis were blown away at her performance and the make up used to transform her. She will revitalize her career with the win.

Are you posting from July? She’s not even being considered for lead anymore.

[QUOTE] The prospect of a white tranny being nominated for best actress over numerous women of colour is quite something.

What do “numerous women of color” have anything to do with a trans woman being nominated for Best Actress? To say nothing of the fact that Marianne Jean-Baptiste has a very good chance of being nominated after the raves from Toronto. You need to take your transphobia and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 115September 23, 2024 6:11 PM

The only actress who could have played Callas is dead. Irene Papas. Greek and beautiful, and accomplished. But they were of the same time. Anyway, They could have chosen some unknown or barely known. Everyone thinks Maria Callas A native of Greece, but she was born and raised in Brooklyn. Her husband was her manager. She was kind of nuts. Volatile. Maybe the chose Angelina because she was crazy.

by Anonymousreply 116September 23, 2024 6:16 PM

Have you seen “Maria,” R116? I’m guessing the answer is no.

by Anonymousreply 117September 23, 2024 6:19 PM

Maria will screen at the New York Film Festival on Sept. 29.

by Anonymousreply 118September 23, 2024 6:25 PM

[quote]What do “numerous women of color” have anything to do with a trans woman being nominated for Best Actress? To say nothing of the fact that Marianne Jean-Baptiste has a very good chance of being nominated after the raves from Toronto. You need to take your transphobia and shut the fuck up.

Because nothing says white supremacist patriarchy more than a white male actor taking the place of a female black actor in a female category!

by Anonymousreply 119September 23, 2024 6:43 PM

Yet you have consistently failed to identify these female black actors, R119, whom are being denied nominations that, mind you, have yet to be announced. Who are they? Which ones? Please provide a list.

MJB has enough steam on her own to gain a nomination in this race so don’t even mention her.

I love how you didn’t even try to deny that you’re transphobic.

by Anonymousreply 120September 23, 2024 7:24 PM

[Quote] The only actress who could have played Callas is dead.

Excuse me little homosexual boy but I am not dead!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 23, 2024 8:04 PM

Right R121, from what 28 years ago? And no, Faye isn't ethnic looking enough.

by Anonymousreply 122September 23, 2024 9:44 PM

October 1 Indiewire The State of the Race

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 30, 2024 9:33 PM

[quote] Emma Stone for Kinds of Kindness.

God, I hope not. We need a break from her. I’m still pissed at the Academy for giving her an Oscar for that clownish performance she gave in Poor Things over the far more deserving Lily Gladstone.

by Anonymousreply 124September 30, 2024 10:54 PM

Emma won’t be nominated. That film was repulsive and bombed.

by Anonymousreply 125September 30, 2024 11:01 PM

Demi Moore should get a nomination. The Academy loves a strong comeback.

by Anonymousreply 126September 30, 2024 11:04 PM

I would really love to see Pam Anderson get recognized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 30, 2024 11:27 PM

Ryan Destiny? That's a new name in the stew. The Fire Inside premiered in the Special Presentations section of the Toronto International Film Festival on September 7, 2024.

by Anonymousreply 128September 30, 2024 11:32 PM

I think that the Variety R94 list above nails it- i would love for Demi to take Jolie's or Saoirse's ..

Mikey is currently on every single To 5 List at Gold Derby, and usually in the Top 2, so I am guessing that her peformance IS that good..

And there is NO way that Amy Adams gets in for Nightbitch. The reviews from the festival are all basically B minus and they all say the film played it way to safe.

by Anonymousreply 129September 30, 2024 11:39 PM

There's a teaser trailer out for The Last Showgirl. It doesn't give you much to go on, but it creates a kind of sad, desolate mood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 1, 2024 12:02 AM

I’m hearing nothing but great things about Demi Moore’s performance in The Substance. The critics are raving about it.

by Anonymousreply 131October 1, 2024 12:06 AM

Kate Winslet for "Lee"

by Anonymousreply 132October 1, 2024 12:20 AM

R131 I hear The Substance is extremely gruesome, though.

by Anonymousreply 133October 1, 2024 12:22 AM

R133, The Substance goes into a very crazy, gruesome place in the last 20-25 minutes and there are parts that are very difficult to watch throughout if you are squeamish.

But Demi Moore gives one of the gutsiest performances I’ve seen in ages. She absolutely should be nominated for this (and if I were in the Academy, I would vote for her in a second). The one potential hiccup I could see is her lack of “full Lead Actress” screen-time. I don’t see anyone mentioning that so I doubt it’s a problem.

Her performance was giving me Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream which I see as one of several cinematic reference points in the film.

I’m really tempted to see it again now how I know how it all ends.

by Anonymousreply 134October 1, 2024 12:46 AM

How can someone with no sense of humor be funny r53?

[quote]AJ will have to totally lip-synch.

Angelina, I’ll have you know, learned to sing opera in 6 weeks after overcoming the trauma of “an ex” telling her she couldn’t sing. The director or whomever, claims Angelina’s real singing voice was blended in with Maria’s for the movie. Angelina was just that good.

My vote is for Marie Jeanne. I have not seen her movie, but I’m a fan so it would be cool if she won.

by Anonymousreply 135October 1, 2024 1:05 AM

Sorry I meant r76.

by Anonymousreply 136October 1, 2024 1:06 AM

*Marianne Jean Baptiste. I’m making errors all over tonight.

by Anonymousreply 137October 1, 2024 1:10 AM

Is Saoirse moving up in the conversation?

In The Outrun The New York Times says it is apparent she is one of the greatest actresses of her generation!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 3, 2024 11:07 PM

^^R138 she is many of the TOP 5 lists at Goldderby- I think she definitely has a shot- The film sounds good, every critics says that the back and forward in time is what fucks the movie up (and also detracts from Saoirse's great performance)

by Anonymousreply 139October 3, 2024 11:49 PM

I absolutely loved The Outrun and Saoirse Ronan is why...A nomination well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 140October 3, 2024 11:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!