Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James McAvoy Based His ‘Speak No Evil’ Role’s “Toxic Masculinity” On Andrew Tate

Although there’s no shortage of toxic masculinity in today’s world, James McAvoy crafted his latest role around a very specific person.

The Speak No Evil star revealed that his sinister patriarch character Paddy from James Watkins upcoming Universal remake of the 2022 Danish thriller, which premieres in theaters on Sept. 13, was inspired by Andrew Tate.

“The thing I thought I could exploit in the character was, he thinks he’s a bit of a f— West Country Andrew Tate,” he explained to Empire.

“He’s like, ‘I’m going to teach you what it’s like to be a man again.’ But there’s a sort of polite face on it that isn’t quite Andrew Tate, enough of a sheen of, ‘I’m not one of those guys,'” added McAvoy. “[Paddy’s] challenging you, ‘Do you have a big enough d*** to have a drink with me?’, Or, ‘I’m sorry, this is too much for you because you’re not real enough.'”

The 2022 satirical thriller, directed by Christian Tafdrup, follows a Danish family on vacation to Tuscany, where they quickly bond with a Dutch family. Months later, they accept an invitation to visit their new friends in the Netherlands, but the stay quickly becomes uncomfortable.

Watkins’ remake stars Mackenzie Davis and Scoot McNairy (reuniting a decade after Halt and Catch Fire premiered on AMC) as an American couple who spends a terrifying weekend with their daughter (Alix West Lefler) at the idyllic country estate of a British family, played by McAvoy, Aisling Franciosi and Dan Hough.

“You wanted something a bit agricultural,” explained McAvoy. “I had two big visual touchstones. The first was the Australian term ‘bogan’, which can be associated with a certain level of toxic masculinity. And the other was the character Rooster from Jerusalem, played so brilliantly by Mark Rylance.”

Although he had to put on muscle to be physically intimidating in the role, McAvoy added a bit of a softer demeanor to the performance.

“Even though he’s all masculine and throwing his d— around, he’s just a bit softer,” said McAvoy. “Almost a Ray Winstone in Sexy Beast vibe: ‘I don’t mind if my belly’s sticking out, because that’s how comfortable a man I f****** am.'”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2024 7:32 AM

Masculinity is not toxic.

by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2024 7:35 PM

R1, it’s become such a loaded, overused phrase, hasn’t it.

When this trite phrase “toxic masculinity” grew about 10 years ago, I rightfully took at as implying “certain social elements” of masculinity can be toxic. Hell, ask any male who grew up anywhere about their encounters with insecure homophobes and shitheels in middle or high school.

Now though, it’s become such an overused phrase to imply nearly anything remotely associated with men or that an author/writer doesn’t like. It’s grown to mean nearly anything, and by extension - to mean absolutely nothing. Nothing except perhaps a catch phrase by low talent “journalists” to stuff their articles with catchy, SEO-friendly keywords.

The flatheads who use the phrase unironically now should take a hard look in the mirror at themselves. Have they ever tried working in a business run and managed primarily by women? Talk about toxic…. Jesus Christ the shit I’ve seen.

I think it’s original usage wasn’t meant to imply “all of masculinity is toxic, but there are certain elements to be improved.” That alone I could agree with. But the way some idiots bandy-about the phrase now - it’s nothing but a fluff phrase worthy of an eye roll.

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2024 8:04 PM

I've seen a lot more toxic femininity than masculinity.

by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2024 8:07 PM

r1 Some of it most certainly is. No one said all masculinity is toxic.

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2024 8:07 PM

Masculinity is not toxic. Some men do shitty things but that doesn't make masculinity toxic. Masculinity is natural and very necessary. Just like femininity.

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2024 8:10 PM

r5 You're not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2024 8:29 PM

I went right off James McAvoy after I saw him on Graham Norton telling a crude story in front of Liza Minnelli. She had the class not to show any reaction. I am in no way a prude, but he has no sense of what’s appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2024 8:40 PM

[quote] I've seen a lot more toxic femininity than masculinity.

Poor baby.

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2024 8:43 PM

r7 "I went right off James McAvoy"

What does this mean?

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2024 9:14 PM

It means he was put off by him

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2024 9:17 PM

I'll be glad when this movie is released, so I don't have to watch the trailer for the 200th time with every movie I see in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2024 10:44 PM

Do not watch this piece of shit remake BEFORE watching the brilliant original.

It will spoil too much of a far superior film.

thank me later!

by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2024 12:03 AM

There is an image of Tate floating around of it wearing tight swim trunks, it has no bulge.

Suspiciously flat.

by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2024 12:07 AM

[quote]James McAvoy Based His ‘Speak No Evil’ Role’s “Toxic Masculinity” On Andrew Tate

Interesting. Did he have to tuck himself or did wardrobe and/or makeup do it for him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2024 12:52 AM

R7 Liza "Give me every drug you've got" Minnelli? I'm sure she's heard worse and your protectiveness is misguided.

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2024 1:28 AM

[quote]I went right off James McAvoy after I saw him on Graham Norton telling a crude story in front of Liza Minnelli. She had the class not to show any reaction. I am in no way a prude, but he has no sense of what’s appropriate.

Sweetie, you've clearly never seen an episode of Graham Norton.

Also, if you think that Liza didn't do so much worse during the Studio 54 days than anything McAvoy would share on national TV, you're delusional.

by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2024 1:34 AM

Sexy Beast is a great movie

by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2024 1:38 AM

Reviews are coming out. Mixed from The New York Times.

McAvoy is exhaustingly over-the-top

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2024 4:15 PM

he's hot as hell

by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2024 4:34 PM

All I ask is that NO ONE watch this piece of shit before seeing the original. Its really one of my favorite films, (not just horror) that I have seen in many years. Its just so good.

This remake will not touch it, and make the original so much less effective--

Trust me on this one thing-

by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2024 4:58 PM

I saw the original before I knew it was going to get am English speaking remake. It's very very dark. And I yelled at the tv a lot.

People have to learn to trust their instincts over their sense of social acceptance. This film tells that lesson almost too effectively.

by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2024 7:23 PM

No one is suggesting that ALL masculinity is toxic. So go away with your strawman.

by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2024 7:25 PM

LA Times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 12, 2024 10:12 PM

[quote] Trust me on this one thing-—Anonymous

I'm sure we all do, Anonymous, just based on your name alone.

And especially given that you haven't even [italic]seen[/italic] this version yet.

by Anonymousreply 24September 13, 2024 7:32 PM

The movie had me on the edge of my seat throughout the entire thing. It is not your typical thriller film for starters, and the suspense was really well built up.

Unfortunately the characters do many illogical things that you will hit your head for. But I was actually really surprised, and I think this surpasses the original in every aspect, both cinematically and actor wise. McAvoy's phenomenal portray of a creepy psychopath is uncanny, and he makes you want to hide in your seat.

by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2024 9:23 PM

I was nearly lynched in a Facebook horror film group for brandishing the term "Blumhouse sheep". Sadly I must double down as, after viewing this film, I believe Blumhouse to be the production company equivalent of McDonalds: initially tasty, though with an aggravating cardboard-like pungency, then finally forming a greasy lagoon in the depths of your stomach which often leads to vomitous interludes. Speak No Evil is an entirely unnecessary remake of one of my absolute favourite films of the past decade, but if you haven't seen the original this will still be a pleasant gash on the head.

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2024 7:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!