Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lily Tomlin's Edith Ann

Who remembers Edith Ann? Edith Ann was the second most popular character Lily created on Laugh-in but she doesn't inspire the same nostalgia that her most famous character Ernestine did. And that's the Truth was her second hit record in a row but it doesn't hold up. It's just kind of cloying and an obvious attempt at precociousness. I also don't think it's very funny. Lily's acting is wonderful but there's little that inspires more than one or two viewings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2024 1:54 AM

Upopular opinion (?), but I like Judith Beasley the best of Lily's characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2024 4:01 AM

I laughed a lot when she said she gave her dog Buster a bubble bath and all his hair fell out. She said, he likes it and now we can write on him with a magic marker.

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2024 4:03 AM

I saw her live in '72 and she asked everyone who was gay or lesbian to come up and stand in front of the stage. "Don't be shy" she said. It was a small theater but she got a satisfactory number of people to appear.

by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2024 4:20 AM

^ It's a pity that's the only thing I remember about her show except the friend I was with went up. The hallicinogenics I had consumed didn't permit me to move.

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2024 4:29 AM

Yeah-Edith Ann was funny at the time but not so much now. Only recently did I discover similar character from old movies-Fanny Brice as “Baby Snooks”. Wonder if she was the inspiration?

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2024 4:41 AM

Edith Ann ALWAYS creeped me the fuck out. Was it meant to make people extremely uncomfortable and squeamish? Even that big ass rocking chair makes me shudder. And I really like Lily Tomlin.

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2024 4:50 AM

Even though the character is an occupation that doesn't exist and the names might be unfamiliar, Ernestine is still brilliantly funny. I still remember hearing this track on This is a Recording and laughing my ass off. And it's still funny because it doesn't have to be Mr. "Veedle".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2024 5:00 AM

I remember seeing Edith Ann as a little kid and being really creeped out by her. I couldn’t explain it, just freaked me out.

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2024 10:26 AM

As a little kid, I wanted a really big chair like that.

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2024 10:33 AM

I've been looking on line for a clip where she plays a grocery store checker.

To a patron she thinks has tampered with his package of bacon: "Go on 'n' take it, but next time I'm gonna have to smell your fingers!"

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2024 10:52 AM

I love Judith Beasley! When they used the Edith Ann character in a PSA to address child sexual abuse is where she lost me. Lily’s appearance on “.Carol Burnett.” is a favorite, especially as the sadistic prison guard in ‘Caged Dames’.

by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2024 12:07 PM

[quote]his hair fell out

I think she used the term "furs". I also remember something about the kitty eating finger sandwiches while up on the table, her baby brother walking when no one is watching, and "teeny, tiny bug wearing teeny tiny tap shoes."

Not as good as Lud and Marie meet Dracula's Daughter or Miss Sweeny.

by Anonymousreply 12September 1, 2024 12:21 PM

I remember a line from her act that still makes me laugh out loud.

"I was planning to be a ballerina, but my career was cut short at breakfast one morning when my mother dropped a six-pack on my instep."

by Anonymousreply 13September 1, 2024 1:56 PM

R10 I think the character's name was Dot and she was created towards the end of Lily's run on Laugh In. She was suing to get out of her contract because of the writing damaging her characters but the show was cancelled before anything happened.

by Anonymousreply 14September 1, 2024 2:14 PM

I’m with R1. Completely.

Her greatest moment:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 1, 2024 2:15 PM

This entire album is fantastic. Well, well worth your time.

Judith Beasley shows up at 3:57. It’s delightful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2024 2:21 PM

Madame Chairperson! Madame Chairperson!

by Anonymousreply 17September 1, 2024 2:27 PM

When “The Incredible Shrinking Woman” aired on ABC Friday Night Movie of the Week, there was a scene with Edith Ann. Edith Ann didn’t appear in the theatrical release — so I imagine it was added to make the film longer.

It was even Pat Kramer was in the hamster cage. She got the cage closer to the switches and ends up talking to Edith Ann (who is seemingly in a room where she’s taste testing food aimed at kids). Pat tells her to tell her mother that she’s trapped. Edith Ann says “i have waited my entire life to meet a lady six inches tall!”

It was a funny bit that I knew by heart at one point because I audio taped the thing from my TV.

I can’t find the clip, but it absolutely was there. “Little girl! Little girl! Little girl!,” Pat says.

by Anonymousreply 18September 1, 2024 2:35 PM

Phew! I knew I didn’t make it up! The Edith Ann scene in “Incredible Shrinking Woman” appears as a bonus feature on the DVD release!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 1, 2024 2:47 PM

I remember watching The Incredible Shrinking Woman on HBO in the 80's. I loved it and was disappointed to (much) later learn that it was not critically acclaimed.

by Anonymousreply 20September 1, 2024 3:05 PM

Erenestine was so great because she was power-mad but good-natured simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 21September 1, 2024 3:16 PM

"Galaxy Glue, Galaxy Glue..."

by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2024 3:20 PM

If there's one hit show that's almost impossible to explain to younger generations who didn't see it originally, it's "Laugh-In."

What made it so weird was that it was aimed at explaining the counterculture to Silent Generation types who didn't get it but were curious about it. DSo they had some of the actresses like Goldie Hawn in bikinis go-go dancing during "The Party" sequence, and two nobody middle-aged genial comedians (Dan Rowan and Dick Martin) hosting the show and doing a kind of dated vaudeville comic duo routine so the older generations felt more comfortable. And then there were the weird made-up catch phrases ("Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls!", "Sock it to me, baby!," "Here come de judge," etc.) that actually [italic]did[/italic] become national catch phrases for a brief time.

by Anonymousreply 23September 1, 2024 3:27 PM

I liked Johnny Velour, the lounge singer

by Anonymousreply 24September 1, 2024 3:59 PM

I thought the ending of Shrinking was to suggest a sequel which would have been a remake of Attack of the 50 foot woman.

by Anonymousreply 25September 1, 2024 4:06 PM

WILL YOU PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT CAKE!

by Anonymousreply 26September 1, 2024 6:03 PM

Judith Beasley-consumer advocate ahead of her time and not afraid to speak out.

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2024 12:17 AM

Much of Lily Tomlin's material and characters especially those written with Jane Wagner are incredibly dated and sort of cringey. Lily is so likable and talented it's tough to admit how stuck in the 70s her material is.

I recall seeing "The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe" on Broadway and I was stunned how it seemed like a bunch of sketches written in 1973. Everyone said it was brilliant, but I thought it was a case of the emperor's new clothes.

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2024 12:54 AM

I'll say that Glenna, a Child of the '60s from Appearing Nitely (the On Stage album) is more out of place/halfhearted than Lyn, Edie & Marge from The Search for Signs.

by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2024 1:46 AM

R18, when that movie came out I was in my early 20s and was a "Christian." There was an elder in my church who told me he stormed out of a showing of it dragging his two small children with him because of the scene where the kids sang the "I wish I were a little bar of soap" song. He was OUTRAGED that they uttered the word hiney.

I still remember the righteous indignation on his face when he told me that story.

by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2024 1:53 AM

R24 it was Tommy Velour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2024 1:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!