Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

15 years ago today, Whitney Houston released her final studio album

On August 31, 2009, singer Whitney Houston released what would be her long-awaited seventh (and final) studio album. The Arista album was titled "I Look To You", and debuted at #1 on Billboard's Hot 200 Albums Chart - her first studio (non-soundtrack) album to hit #1 since 1987's "Whitney", when that album debuted at #1 in June, 1987 (making Houston the first female artist in Billboard history to debut at the top of the Hot 200 Albums Chart). The album sold 305,000 copies in its first week of release, making it one of Houston's best-sellers. This beat her previous 'career-best' first-week sales of 205,000 copies in 2002 with 'Just Whitney'. Aside from debuting at #1 on the Hot 200 Albums, it also peaked at #1 on the 'Hot 100 R&B/Hip Hop Albums' on Billboard. The album was released on RCA Records in the UK on October 17, 2009 where it peaked at #3. (According to producer Clive Davis, the album was first proposed and in pre-production since 2007).

On September 2, 2009 , Houston performed the title song and the proposed second single "Million Dollar Baby" on Good Morning America's 'Fall Concert Series' (she also performed two previous hits), but she did not do an interview with the hosts.

To promote the album (and grab attention from Grammy voters who were locking in nominations later in September), Houston agreed to do a two hour sit-down interview with Oprah a few days after the album's release. It was her first in-depth interview in seven years. She admitted to Oprah that she got into heavy, out-of-control drug use after the success of the 1992 movie 'The Bodyguard' and the birth of her daughter. Before that, she claimed she did drugs with her her husband Bobby Brown - but it was more occasional. The interview aired on September 14 and 15, kicking off Oprah's new season premiere. She did a live performance of the song 'I Didn't Know My Own Strength' from the album, and Houston called this 'the best interview' she had ever done.

In the US, the first single to be released was the pop-soul title track, "I Look To You" (written by R.Kelley) on July 23. 2009. The single peaked at #19 on the Hot 100 R&B / HipHop Singles Chart, and #70 on the Hot 100 Singles Chart (her highest charting pop single in the US in 9 years). Initially, 'Call You Tonight' was proposed to be the first single in the US (but Arista dropped those plans in favor of the title track). 'I Look To You' was officially released as the second single outside the US.

The second single off the album, released in the US on August 16, 2009 was 'Million Dollar Bill', written by Alicia Keys. (This was the first single released outside the US). The single debuted at #100 on the 'Hot 100 Singles' chart on September 19, 2009. It dropped off the chart the following week - making it one of Houston's worst charting singles in her career. A proposed third single - "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" written by Diane Warren - was dropped after the dismal sales of the first two singles. ("Million Dollar Bill" did well elsewhere, even peaking at #5 in the UK).

The 52nd Annual Grammy nominations were announced on December 2, 2009. Houston and her album "I Look To You" were completely shut out by Grammy voters - not one nomination went to her. Clive Davis, speaking on behalf of Arista, said he was disappointed, as this was one of Houston's best albums in her career. Houston died three years later, on February 11, 2012 - the eve of the 55th Grammy Awards ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2024 10:29 PM

I think that by the time she released this album, Whitney's public image was seriously damaged and she hadn't really been relevant in music in 10 years. Had it not been for reality TV and the fact that she was both tabloid fodder and the butt of countless jokes, her presence in the media would have been practically inexistent after 2000. Moreover, if the take into account that her lessened reputation was paired with a destroyed voice that most of the time barely sounded like her at all without considerable studio wizardry, it's not surprising that this album was moderately successful and didn't receive any nominations. Also, let's not forget that ILTY is boring as hell.

It would have been interesting to see what Whitney could have achieved if she had continued working with logopedic therapists and managed to stay sober (doubtful, given how she had been taken considerable amounts of drugs in the hours before her death), but it's evident that we shall never know. Whitney's professional and personal evolution is extremely sad, as she was a great talent who squandered her enormous potential and was plunged into hardcore drug-addiction by that useless parasite Bobby Brown. Still, it's likely that she would have ended up in the same position all by herself, since she was a habitual drug user since her mid-teens.

Anyway, thank you for bringing this up, OP. It's nice to remember the greats from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2024 4:41 PM

That's a very insightful post, R1.

I have to add - I think she truly believed sitting down for a 2 hour "Oprah" interview, where she confessed (as best she could) to her problems since the early 90s, she would somehow be 'redeemed' to her former glory, and the past would be forgotten. I really think she believed she was going to reset the clock to the late 1980s and have a do-over of the past 20 years. It just doesn't work that way. Not even Oprah could help her at this point in time.

And as you say - for such a highly anticipated 'comeback' album, it was a bore. I hardly remember any of the songs except for the dull title track which plays like a dirge. And the album cover photo did her no justice - looks nothing like her (and they chose this ugly photo for her gravestone).

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2024 4:56 PM

I remember the irony of her singing “I Didn’t Know My Own Strength” with a weak, unstable voice that was a sad shadow of what it had been 20 years earlier.

A couple years later when she drowned in the hotel bathtub, she didn’t have much going on career wise and had blown (somewhat literally) through most of her $$$ fortune.

That daughter of theirs never had a chance. She grew up around addicts and parasites, seemed low IQ, and didn’t inherit Whitney’s good looks or vocal talent. I still wonder if she drowned accidentally or decided to follow her mother — or was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2024 5:13 PM

ILTY is actually incredibly poignant, especially in light of her diminished vocals, which they actually made a decision not to hide. But it was a song that was only imbued with meaning after her death

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2024 5:18 PM

The tour she did for this album was a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2024 5:38 PM

She was a recreational drug user for years (it WAS the 80s, after all) but when she hooked up with Bobby she went from being a "party" user to a full-on druggie. "Useless parasite" is right. He was the worst thing that ever happened to her. He really dragged her down to the gutter.

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2024 5:43 PM

Her voice was ruined by the time of ILTY. Ravaged by smoking, drinking, and drug use. I bought the album and was so disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2024 5:53 PM

R5 I remember the horrible reviews, and the reports that she was booed off the stage at some venues. I don't think she even made it stateside - didn't she cut her European tour short, and then canceled it before it was to launch in America ?

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2024 8:57 PM

I should add, critics and fans complained that during her concert tour she didn't even sing the lyrics - she was 'reading' the lyrics. This is why she was booed off stage in some cities - fans didn't go for her to do a poetry reading.

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2024 8:59 PM

In the UK Million Dollar Bill was big in the gay clubs when I started going to them in uni. Fond memories

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2024 9:43 PM

People were booing and walking out of shows on the 2010 tour. Whitney was a cracked out mess.

The last ten or so years of her life were one long decline, she was constantly high.

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2024 9:51 PM

Fucked up singing I Will Always Love You in London

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2024 9:55 PM

The problem with the album was that they were still looking for her to sing these bombastic power ballads like it was the 80's and 90's. And her voice simply couldn't. Add to that the ballads weren't well written.

Million Dollar Bill is a good song. and had it been the lead single, the album would have fared somewhat better alongside more R and B, dance type of jams and smooth jazzy ballads that didn't require vocal gymnastics.

It really should have been a more adult styled album suited to her current voice instead of a blatant attempt to try and capture the glory days. And that tour should have never happened either.

by Anonymousreply 13August 31, 2024 10:02 PM

‘Million Dollar Bill’ will be top 5 legacy songs for her.

Glad they propped up Nippy for this album.

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2024 10:06 PM

I remember that album roll out well. Her two part Oprah interview was frustrating. You could tell that Oprah and her team wanted Whitney to be in better form, and I remember her grasp on sobriety and the truth of her past was tenuous. Her performance on the show was meh but Oprah was really selling it. It wasn’t as dismal as her Central Park performance on GMA, but poor Whitney was a pale shadow of her former self.

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2024 10:08 PM

I love the Frankie Knuckles mix of Million Dollar Bill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2024 10:12 PM

IMO, Bobby is not to blame for Whitney's slow slide downwards.

If you watch Being Bobby Brown (yes, ha ha), it's apparent that she was the boss of the relationship as she had the money.

Bobby seemed more like a plain old drunkard.

Also, Whitney's own brother admitted to introducing her to drugs. That would pre-date W's relationship with Bobby.

by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2024 10:17 PM

Whitney's drug use escalated greatly when Bobby came into the picture. They enabled each other. She was only a party user before then, and was functional.

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2024 10:21 PM

R12 Lawd. That shit sad yo. Goddam tragedy. I will never forgive her homophobic mom. I don’t understand why she was so homophobic being that Dionne Warwick had been in the industry for years. They had to have been exposed to gays.

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2024 10:22 PM

The worst thing was putting Bobby Kristina in that reality show right after Whitney died. Cissy, W's brother, and the brother's wife seemed like they needed the income.

Bobby Brown is the father, though, and should have put his foot down on that reality show.

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2024 10:25 PM

R19 Dionne's sister Dee Dee was a lesbian. They threw her ass under the bus in one of the Whitney documentaries implying that Whitney was into women because she was molested at a young age by Dee Dee. I'm stunned that Dionne didn't come out and read their asses for filth, given that her sister had passed a few years prior and wasn't around to defend herself.

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2024 10:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!