Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Robert Altman's 'A Wedding' is such an underrated gem

Probably Altman's funniest film. It's every bit as good as Gosford Park. The cast is stellar and full of gay icons, like Carol Burnett, Dina Merrill, Lillian Gish, gay actor Dennis Christopher, Nina van Pallandt, Mia Farrow, Desi Arnaz, Jr, Geraldine Chaplin.

Extras included John Malkovich, Laurie Metcalf, Gary Sinise and Joan Allen.

Sissy Spacek wanted to play Mia Farrow's part, but couldn't due to a scheduling conflict.

The house featured in the movie is now owned by singer Richard Marx and Cynthia Rhodes.

Here's a link to watch the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2024 6:26 PM

This has such an excellent performance in it by Carol Burnett. I love that her character's first name is "Tulip."

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2024 2:54 PM

Needless to say what will be the favorite scene for DLers...

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2024 2:57 PM

The star of the movie is Lillian Gish!

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2024 3:00 PM

I saw this when it came out and have loved it since. I think it may have later appeared on HBO in the early 80's, but that's about it. I'm so glad I grabbed the Altman DVD set that came out in 2006, which contained the only release of the film on home video. I don't think there was a VHS release. It's a fun film with a great cast.

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2024 3:03 PM

"Heavenly sunlight... heavenly sunlight..."

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2024 3:10 PM

Carol Burnett is quite fabulous in the movie!

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2024 3:10 PM

Sounds fun - I've never heard of it but will check it out. Thanks, OP and others!

by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2024 3:11 PM

Richard Marx has been divorced from Cynthia Rhodes for years, he is married to Daisy Fuentes from MTV

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2024 3:19 PM

I don't understand why Dina Merrill didn't become a bigger star. She delightful in everything she's in, including this movie.

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2024 3:25 PM

Dina was a very wealthy heiress in her own right so maybe she just didn't have the starving initiative? She did work a lot when she was young.

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2024 3:48 PM

R4 There was also a PAL release on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2024 3:56 PM

I have a DVD of it, but the picture quality looks like VHS.

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2024 6:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!