Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends

A charming, unique house in Gary, IN. I mean come on though, do they actually think anyone would spend 350K for a house in Gary, IN? Are they delusional?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2024 2:06 PM

It must be Miller Beach.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2024 2:52 AM

Can you go in that water?

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2024 2:54 AM

A charming abode that appears modeled after the fenced-in compound used to imprison the eventually executed Romanov royal family, but here featuring windows.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2024 3:11 AM

R1 Based on the map, it appears it is. For other readers, that part of town is cut off from the rest of the city and really it’s almost like its own separate town. It’s not as rundown as the rest of the city and some properties can go for double this one.

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2024 3:15 AM

I was going to buy it, but Gary, IN talked me out of it.

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2024 5:07 PM

They need to pressure wash that driveway. The house is ok. Built in 1949 means alot of upkeep and poor insulation. It has a beach vibe to it but not sure that's appropriate for the area?

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2024 5:32 PM

I wouldn't care if it was a palatial mansion, it's still in Gary, In..

by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2024 5:34 PM

Is it Jackson 5-adjacent, or Harold Hill-adjacent?

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2024 5:34 PM

the oval table and the dormitory chair needs to go. I like it a lot. A nice starter home. That price in Gary, IN? I fell bad for their investment but the days of a house going for 350K, 400K when it's all said and done, are over.

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2024 5:35 PM

I prefer it with the unpainted brick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2024 5:39 PM

It's a trick to raise home prices in the area. 'Oh look, this one sold for $350,000- must be gentrifying!". You pay someone a fee to 'buy' it, you transfer the money to them and the sale is made.

It probably won't sell; now is not a buyer-friendly environment. I've seen these 6X over-priced houses in my zip code sit empty for years.

However, the house nextdoor sold for $340,000 last year. A retired Judge bought it for his drug addict daughter and her bf to live in, to keep her out of the way (white ghetto) and out of trouble. So it does happen.

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2024 5:41 PM

It's perfect for Shitty Little Ann! Is that you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2024 5:52 PM

I heard it’s a great place!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 31, 2024 6:17 PM

WTF is this house?

It’s a hodgepodge of multiple eras & ultra tight to no budgets.

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2024 6:33 PM

Not charming, not unique, and in Gary Indiana. I think I'll pass

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2024 6:59 PM

It’s Miller Beach, which is in Gary, but not really. We locals call Miller “Hamptons of the Hood.” One of few places still affordable on Lake Michigan. You’ve got to drive a bit to get to grocery stores, etc., because Gary is, well, Gary.

by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2024 7:49 PM

How charming! The street view shows the house next door is like 3-feet away, and they park their cars on the front lawn!

by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2024 8:00 PM

Cool. Frank Lloyd Wright - Ghetto. But what furniture goes with it?

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2024 8:18 PM

It was originally listed a few weeks ago at $379k. Indiana property taxes are too high.

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2024 8:35 PM

“Get a load of this…. This guy says he has a lake house… in GARY INDIANA!”

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2024 8:36 PM

R18 Except for the hanging ceiling chair, the rest of the furniture looks computer-generated.

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2024 8:42 PM

Sorry, Op, but it's not very pretty at all. The exterior looks like an old service station and the inside, while functional, isn't particularly charming. In addition, the house covers most of the irregular plot, which means that prospective owners won't be able to take advance of most of the garden. And R17 is right: the property next door (which looks like one of the ramshackle houses inhabited by the villains in the film Wrong Turn), is literally within arm's reach of your own home. That is not desirable at all.

I have obviously never set foot in Gary, Indiana, but the area where the house is located looks extremely beautiful and I wouldn't be surprised if it starts to become gentrified in the near future. I imagine that then, unremarkable properties like these will be torn down and hideous, overpriced McMansions will be built in their place.

by Anonymousreply 22August 31, 2024 8:56 PM

Out of the view is chain link fence to protect homeowners from high rate of burglaries.

by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2024 8:57 PM

Stark decor. Betina and Max did it?

by Anonymousreply 24August 31, 2024 9:06 PM

It looks like a repurposed White Castle on the outside.

by Anonymousreply 25August 31, 2024 9:06 PM

[quote]Gary, IN.

What a wonderful name!

by Anonymousreply 26September 1, 2024 1:00 AM

So. Many. Things. I don’t even wanna start. The big one: why is there a street light in the backyard?

by Anonymousreply 27September 1, 2024 6:12 AM

No culture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2024 9:10 AM

R27 Maybe the owners hate the neighbors and put it there to shine in their bedroom window.

by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2024 9:15 AM

R24 They were working on it, when something FAT walked in.

by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2024 9:46 AM

Not Louisiana, Paris, France, New York, or Rome ?

by Anonymousreply 31September 1, 2024 11:43 AM

How FAT R30?

by Anonymousreply 32September 1, 2024 11:49 AM

Was it built using Lego's? Looks hideous inside and out, with zero lot lines. The only thing it has in its favor is its relative proximity to Lake Michigan which I suppose would be appealing to anyone who enjoys lake wind effect. And Gary makes Cleveland look like Paris.

by Anonymousreply 33September 1, 2024 12:13 PM

Gary, Indiana? That's the town that knew me when!

by Anonymousreply 34September 1, 2024 12:15 PM

Looks like a flip, except it's not painted completely gray, which is odd, as all flips have gray walls. It does have Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT), as all flips do.

(Who falls for that bullshit? There's nothing luxurious about vinyl tile. Another example of words losing their meaning, and a paradox of the highest order.)

And it seems like Gary has no setbacks since you could touch the house next door through an open window.

Basically, it's a dump.

by Anonymousreply 35September 1, 2024 12:15 PM

R33 I think it was built with these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2024 2:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!