Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gen Z is at it again - Gen Z Has Officially Canceled "Laptop Purchases"

They're coming for "laptop purchases." In case you didn't know, there's a widespread belief that big purchases must be made on a laptop. Examples of "laptop purchases" are plane tickets, hotel rooms, expensive electronics, or furniture. For clarity's sake, let's say a "laptop purchase" is anything over $300.

Gen Z apparently doesn't agree with the "laptop purchase" mentality. A tweet from Jessie Frazelle says, "Apparently, Gen Z is making fun of older generations for never buying big ticket purchases on their phone and always using a desktop."

"How are you gonna open multiple tabs and carefully cross-compare offers??" this frantic millennial asked.

Another millennial said they needed a "real keyboard for this serious business."

And another millennial straight up said the anti-laptop purchase mentality was "wrong," explaining, "Sometimes, websites are not properly designed to show all of the information you need to make a purchase on a phone."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206September 3, 2024 9:04 AM

OP? Zip it. A BuzzFee listicle is proof of precisely jack shit.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2024 12:28 AM

Gen Z is barely old enough to make big purchases so they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

These idiots can laugh all they want at certain fashion things or items like laptops. Let them grow up and see what they say.

Phones can only do so much. And personally - a 6 inch screen just isn't enough to get through life.

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2024 12:32 AM

Gen Z has no money, thus they’re irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2024 12:35 AM

[quote] Gen Z is barely old enough to make big purchases

They’re almost 30, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2024 12:35 AM

The only thing I buy on my phone is the occasional pizza to pick up on the way home, and even then it's a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2024 12:39 AM

[quote]Gen Z is barely old enough to make big purchases so they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

I guess you don't realize its the 18 - 22 year olds who are booking flights to South Beach every January for 'Spring Break' ? And they're the ones buying the Taylor Swift concert tickets ? That's for starters.

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2024 12:42 AM

R6, that’s their parents’ money.

by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2024 1:09 AM

Computer geek here. Been using them since the 90's. I love smart phones, love my custom built $5,000 water cooled desktop, HATE laptops. Never owned one, never will. Overpriced garbage, if you need real power for 8k video editing, 3D animation, etc you need a true workstation, if you need to travel light, use an iPhone. Laptops are a jack of all trades, master of none at double the price what you get for it.

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2024 1:30 AM

R6 I don't think so. The college kids I work with are loaded with 'Christmas money' in their bank account, and using that money to book their Spring Break airline tickets once they return to school and meet up with their friends. So they are risking their personal financial info on the their iPhones.

The Taylor Swift tix are bought on their own credit cards. Maybe mom and dad are paying off the balance each month. but they have the CC in their names - and risking everything when they are purchasing on the phone.

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2024 1:31 AM

Have seen too many friends get their cells hacked to make any large purchases on my mobile.

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2024 1:39 AM

It's easier on a laptop than on a phone to open various tabs and do searches and so on while you're making a purchase, which is what I do when I'm looking for a flight or booking a hotel room. Or maybe these Gen Z kids mean that you do all that on a laptop, and then go on your phone to make the actual purchase? Seems unwieldy.

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2024 1:56 AM

Zoomers don't own or use laptops - ever - as the article suggests.

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2024 2:34 AM

I feel ancient; I am a gen-xer who still thinks buying a car online is weird. Some things you just have to see or touch before purchasing.

by Anonymousreply 13August 31, 2024 2:41 AM

Navigating DL on my phone and getting the occasional “Oh dear” is enough to show me that using a laptop with a keyboard when purchasing is a sensible thing to do.

Fuck Gen Z anyway. Have fun dealing with the shitty planet we’re leaving you.

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2024 2:53 AM

R13, as a fellow Gen-xer all you have to do is go in person and try out the car you want, touch it, drive it get a quote. Then like the rest of us, go home and surf the internet for the lowest price. You already know what you want at that point, no pressure, it's all about price at that point.

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2024 3:02 AM

^ you sound nice granny

by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2024 12:39 PM

Fuck laptops, I use a desktop.

by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2024 12:46 PM

I am old. Of course I use my laptop. Much easier on the eyes and I don’t have to worry about security . I do have mobile security on my phone but it’s absolutely stupid to think I’d take ten times as long to do something on my phone when my laptop is right there. I’ve made several major purchases on my laptop. Easy and fast.

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2024 12:56 PM

None of them know how to use a computer. Gen Z is more tech illiterate than Gen X.

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2024 12:58 PM

It's easier on a laptop than on a phone to open various tabs and do searches and so on while you're making a purchase, which is what I do when I'm looking for a flight or booking a hotel room.

I was just going to post this.

The bottom line for me is that it's easier to navigate websites on a laptop because everything is bigger, so it's easier to see.

Also, websites open differently on a laptop, than they do on a phone. Usually, there are more options on a laptop.

And lastly, my fat fingers always mess up on a phone. I'm either accidentally pressing the wrong button, or the button won't press for me on a phone (for whatever reason).

So for me, laptops just make viewing and navigating a website easier.

Quite frankly, I don't give two fucks what GenZ thinks.

I do whatever the hell is easiest and best for me.

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2024 1:04 PM

Speaking for myself, I am 71 years old, with glaucoma and a cataract remaining in one eye that isn't ready to be removed yet. I have a hard time seeing many things on my cell phone. So I always use either a laptop or my big desktop computer with a 35" monitor to do most things where money is concerned.

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2024 1:15 PM

I’m 51 and I don’t have a laptop. I buy stuff on my iPad because it’s easier to see. I have a work issued Chromebook and I buy nothing on it. I’m not putting my credit card info on anything associated with work and they don’t need to see what I’m buying. The phone screen is too small and the keyboard is beyond irritating.

by Anonymousreply 22August 31, 2024 1:21 PM

I’m so old, I was at the end of a the second paragraph before I understood it was laptop vs. phone, not laptop vs. in person. I was quite proud of myself, thinking,” Who are these dinosaurs buying plane tickets in person?”

Why would it be safer from a security standpoint to use a laptop? You’re using the same card on the same website, aren’t you?

by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2024 1:23 PM

gen Z can suck my dick

by Anonymousreply 24August 31, 2024 1:23 PM

Maybe they’re an anomaly, but my Gen Z nephews are very accomplished (I.e. they make great money and don’t love at home). They buy everything via the phone. I buy most stuff via the phone too (late Gen X so I’m old) but I do buy some high ticket items on the iPad. For example, just bought a dining room set on Wayfair. The reason is it’s just easier to look at the pics. But most stuff I buy on the phone.

by Anonymousreply 25August 31, 2024 1:30 PM

R23 I think most (if not all) Gen Zers have no conception of a desktop computer. Everything with them must be easily transportable. Now they've gotten to the point that laptops & tablets even seem too big and clunky for them. Which I have no problem with. If they want to do everything on their phone that's fine. But don't expect me to adapt to that silliness.

It won't be long before they'll want to do everything on their smart watches.

by Anonymousreply 26August 31, 2024 1:30 PM

Hah they don’t LIVE at home at my post at r25.

R24, you’re probably too old for any young gayling to suck your dick.

by Anonymousreply 27August 31, 2024 1:31 PM

not news

by Anonymousreply 28August 31, 2024 1:42 PM

Honestly, does anyone really care what GenZ thinks?

The media is so desperate to make GenZ the know-all, end-all arbiters of trends and fashion, but knowing what I know about them, and seeing what I see.... I'm underwhelmed.

The media has been trying to make GenZ "happen" for a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 29August 31, 2024 1:46 PM

They can't write in cursive, nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 30August 31, 2024 1:48 PM

we will bury all the posters on this thread

by Anonymousreply 31August 31, 2024 1:56 PM

With what, your bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 32August 31, 2024 1:59 PM

[quote] we will bury all the posters on this thread

[quote] —Gen Z muthafukas

[quote] With what, your bullshit?

With their stinky feet and bad hygiene.

by Anonymousreply 33August 31, 2024 2:00 PM

R33 I swear, Gen Z has the very worst hygiene ever. Toothpaste, mouthwash, soap, shampoo and deodorant - especially deodorant - are foreign concepts to them. Heaven forbid they get a 'chemical' on their skin...but they'll vape and get chemicals in their body.

by Anonymousreply 34August 31, 2024 2:06 PM

I always use my phone because I am a lazy fat ass. Walking to my desk and turning on my laptop is a chore

by Anonymousreply 35August 31, 2024 2:10 PM

I'm sick of this Gen Z vs Other Gen crap. It's a made up conflict. And only in the US. Of course it's catnip for DL and Buzzfeed. Nobody else is interested in creating yet another phony culture war.

by Anonymousreply 36August 31, 2024 2:15 PM

I agree r36. In my opinion, only the Greatest Generation has the right to look down on the ensuing generations. And it’s part of what makes them great that they never will.

The rest of us suck by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 37August 31, 2024 2:22 PM

Who the hell thinks that? I’m Gen x and I do 90% of my computing on my phone. That includes big purchases.

There are only a few things I do on my laptop or desktop, and that’s because it’s easier to do, because mobile versions of apps are often missing a few features.

by Anonymousreply 38August 31, 2024 2:34 PM

Let me check for where I placed my fucks, regarding what I think about Gen Z's preferences regarding how I purchase big ticket items.

...hold on, one more place to check...

Ok, nope. I have zero fucks to give regarding GZ's opinion on what device I should be using to buy things.

Good for BuzzFeed for breaking this story, though. Pulitzer worthy stuff.

by Anonymousreply 39August 31, 2024 2:39 PM

I have a very small cell phone (I-13 Mini) that fits very comfortably in my left front pocket. I barely use the internet on it at all. I even hate to text, but I will if I have to. A phone for me is mostly for making phone calls. But I do use the camera extensively and the Maps feature when I need to. I have a cell phone holder on my motorcycle handlebars just for the maps.

I have a 17" laptop with the screen size set to 150%; easier on the eyes (just you wait, kiddies!). I have made major purchases on it -- in fact, I bought this laptop with my last laptop. I would be lost without it. Honestly, I have my new laptop in my living room for my daily use and the old one (it hasn't died yet!) in the bedroom, so I can watch boring YouTubes until I fall asleep.

And speaking of motorcycles, I take my laptop on all my long distance motorcycle trips. This one I had with me when I rode across the country to Washington state last summer. I use it to plan/modify my routes and to locate places to stop for gas. And of course, to watch videos, stream, keep up with DL, WaPo, and (eeek!) even the NYT.

No massive cell phones for me. They're good for what they're good for -- for all else, my laptop is the best.

by Anonymousreply 40August 31, 2024 3:51 PM

[quote]Let me check for where I placed my fucks, regarding what I think about Gen Z's preferences regarding how I purchase big ticket items. ...hold on, one more place to check...

Lucky for us (?), in your search to find 'fucks to give', you did manage to find the time to respond in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 41August 31, 2024 4:01 PM

[quote]In case you didn't know, there's a widespread belief that big purchases must be made on a laptop.

I’ve honestly never heard of this.

by Anonymousreply 42August 31, 2024 4:20 PM

I was told by a tech expert (much younger than me) to make big purchases on a laptop or desktop for sadety sake. He told me years ago that the iPhones do not give you the same safety protection from hackers as your laptop does (so long as you have the safety features added to the device). I never questioned this - just did what he advised since I respected his opinion.

by Anonymousreply 43August 31, 2024 4:24 PM

I’m Gen X and do almost everything on my phone. I don’t think I’ve booked a plane ticket or hotel in the last ten years that wasn’t done on my phone via the airline or the hotel brand’s app.

I also bought a house this year and competed almost the entire mortgage application process on my phone. The broker I was using had her own app, and I was able to drop all the documentation she needed (paychecks, bank statements, tax forms, etc) right into her app. It took about 10 minutes and was easy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 44August 31, 2024 4:25 PM

This is one of those stories that proves that the state of the media would be vastly improved if editors sent out a daily email to their writers stating "People saying dumb shit on social media is not news."

Instead, we're going to get inundated with non-existent trend pieces like "Gen Z declares capital letters to be a form of colonialist propaganda."

by Anonymousreply 45August 31, 2024 4:35 PM

Every few years there are these articles about Gen X, Millenials and now Gen Z - about how they are different and the world needs to adjust around them.

But I see only modest changes - because nobody is going to change anything for insufferable 20 somethings with no real world experience.

by Anonymousreply 46August 31, 2024 4:37 PM

[quote] In case you didn't know, there's a widespread belief that big purchases must be made on a laptop.

This is why we the neurotypicals are crazy.

by Anonymousreply 47August 31, 2024 4:44 PM

#1 - Gen Z is 1997-2012, so they are 26/27 years old on the highest end, but that's not the average. Avg age is 19 - so you can't say 17-22 year olds are 'changing' how people pay for big purchase items. They are NOT - it's their parents making big purchases items. Yes a few of the older ones are - but that's not what they're saying.

R6 - there's a huge difference between buying a ticket to a concert or a flight to a specific destination with your friends (concert of spring break) and actual price shopping.

Your destination, dates and times are already set for you and usually done in connection with your friends. That's very different from "ok - maybe 5 to 8 days in February? Someplace warm - should we stay in US or Mexico or Carribbean?"

Bullshit - the majority are NOT making big purchases decisions or making ADULT detailed plans and purchases.

As opposed to

by Anonymousreply 48August 31, 2024 4:44 PM

This thread is making my pussy wet.

by Anonymousreply 49August 31, 2024 4:49 PM

Mostly laptop for big purchases because some forms on my iPad are a pain to fill out. And, yea, when spending a lot of money I want to feel comfortable that I’m ordering the correct thing. Just wait until these kiddos accidentally purchase plane tickets to Portland, Maine instead of Portland, Oregon…

by Anonymousreply 50August 31, 2024 5:00 PM

[quote] I’m Gen X and do almost everything on my phone. I don’t think I’ve booked a plane ticket or hotel in the last ten years that wasn’t done on my phone via the airline or the hotel brand’s app.

[quote] I also bought a house this year and competed almost the entire mortgage application process on my phone.

SAD.

by Anonymousreply 51August 31, 2024 5:02 PM

It’s funny some of you think a Windows based laptop is more secure than an iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 52August 31, 2024 5:06 PM

R50 - besides plane tickets - what about household items? I do have the Wayfair app, but I always switch to my Chromebook to see PRODUCT DETAIL and reviews.

My phone is 6.5 inches by 3.25 inches. This will not be my new normal for watching movies, TV, shopping, other. It's a reference point to start from and a communication tool. It will do in a pinch for a flight - but books, magazines, TVs, etc. are larger for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 53August 31, 2024 5:07 PM

The best I can come up with for this latest data on the intelligence of Gen Zers is that I want to shit in my hand and clap.

by Anonymousreply 54August 31, 2024 5:08 PM

[quote]Your destination, dates and times are already set for you and usually done in connection with your friends. That's very different from "ok - maybe 5 to 8 days in February? Someplace warm - should we stay in US or Mexico or Carribbean?"

Trust me, you couldn't be more wrong on this one. They discuss their options with each other - they are not committed to any set location, hotel or flight as you suggest. They do research (to an extent) the cheapne$$ of each - and that's what determines their spring break.

Buying tix to a concert (especially someone like Taylor Swift) is also a procedure these days:

Most of the college kids travel out of state (and even out of the country) to go to her concert and make it an 'event'. The need flight tickets, hotels, etc. They form their little hive on 'group chat' and have to compare prices - checking ticket venues (including private party resellers) , hotel prices, airline prices, etc - all on their iPhones.

by Anonymousreply 55August 31, 2024 5:12 PM

[quote] if you need real power for 8k video editing, 3D animation, etc you need a true workstation, if you need to travel light, use an iPhone.

95% of the population couldn't give a fuck about any of that.

by Anonymousreply 56August 31, 2024 5:17 PM

I use my phone for ordering from Amazon and shit like that, but I find that making travel arrangements is much easier on a laptop.

by Anonymousreply 57August 31, 2024 5:20 PM

R7 The kids are still the consumers.

by Anonymousreply 58August 31, 2024 5:22 PM

The youngs certainly care a lot about trivial shit like this. Why do they care what other people do?

by Anonymousreply 59August 31, 2024 5:23 PM

R33 What ? what? Speak up ! says deaf, no teeth and stinky diapers

by Anonymousreply 60August 31, 2024 5:23 PM

No one "canceled" anything

OP just wants to make generalizations about Gen Z. A handful of people hardly represents everything

R59 will believe anything

by Anonymousreply 61August 31, 2024 5:25 PM

When my parents made plane reservations, they called the airline. My mom bought things from Best Buy on the phone. I used my computer. I didn't make a big deal of this difference. Who cares? Whatever works for you.

by Anonymousreply 62August 31, 2024 5:30 PM

[quote]Just wait until these kiddos accidentally purchase plane tickets to Portland, Maine instead of Portland, Oregon…

Honest to god I actually know somebody who did that! And she's in her forties.

by Anonymousreply 63August 31, 2024 5:31 PM

Great seafood either way.

by Anonymousreply 64August 31, 2024 5:45 PM

Laptops are easier imo.

by Anonymousreply 65August 31, 2024 5:47 PM

Sorry doll, but we are now living in a post canceled world. No one and nothing gets canceled anymore. No one cares. No one is held accountable. Some unfortunate ones are still exiled because they got caught at the wrong time but these days thank to Dump? Do and say whatever the fuck you want. Not one gives a fuck because they are too busy trying to survive living in the cesspool of a country. The only thing that has been canceled in the last year is the word "canceled".

by Anonymousreply 66August 31, 2024 6:02 PM

Trump lives rent-free...

by Anonymousreply 67August 31, 2024 6:06 PM

I'm over 50, and I like my big screen, Dell Desktop. If that makes me out of touch and an old-timer and a candidate for Shady Pines, then so be it. I have no issue using my phone and laptop for things, but sometimes I need my desktop and a big screen. Fight me.

by Anonymousreply 68August 31, 2024 6:07 PM

I don't actually like using my phone at all.

by Anonymousreply 69August 31, 2024 6:13 PM

I like to order by phone from the Sears catalog.

by Anonymousreply 70August 31, 2024 6:15 PM

Are cell phone sales down or something?

by Anonymousreply 71August 31, 2024 6:20 PM

How are iPhones more secure than laptops, R52? They don’t even come with any security. But Windows laptops do.

by Anonymousreply 72August 31, 2024 6:31 PM

I use an iMac (desktop) to do comparison shopping (multiple tabs, being able to log the purchase into my financial docs). It's easier to use a full-sized keyboard and a larger screen.

I use a laptop for work. I'd rather have a desktop.

Once a purchase decision is made, using the APP on the mobile phone is a good way to purchase. The apps are optimized for taking your order and taking your money.

by Anonymousreply 73August 31, 2024 6:54 PM

R55 - bullshit. If you're flying to a concert, you need to be there at least the day before and leave the day after. There's not THAT much consideration involved except flight times, availability and lowest price.

Same with Spring Break. There's usually a destination place discussed among friends and you have the designated week off from school. You don't just choose your dates for Spring Break. And most are sharing hotel rooms that they've collectively decided on.

It's not the same as a real adult vacation. Of course they have to look at options - that's not what we're talking about.

Again - I don't give AF about what Gen Z is doing. They are young, ignorant and inexperienced. But they aren't making big purchases and other adult things like the rest of us 30+.

by Anonymousreply 74August 31, 2024 7:10 PM

I just bought something for 500 bucks on my phone and I'm in my 60s. What there these Gen Z going on about?

by Anonymousreply 75August 31, 2024 7:13 PM

On the list of things to be concerned about in this day and age, this ranks at the bottom.

Do better Gen Z.

by Anonymousreply 76August 31, 2024 7:18 PM

When I was a kid, we usually didn't travel, and we didn't go to concerts, so it wasn't even a consideration.

by Anonymousreply 77August 31, 2024 7:24 PM

I didn't travel as a kid, either. We did go to concerts, but my dad had a business associate who was a concert promoter who gave him tickets.

by Anonymousreply 78August 31, 2024 7:27 PM

It’s more like bullshit than sad, R51.

by Anonymousreply 79August 31, 2024 7:30 PM

Well, most kids didn't go to rock concerts at the age these kids are going to Taylor Swift concerts. We did go to ball games, or to summer stock shows. I guess some kids went to rock concerts but I didn't until I was 18.

by Anonymousreply 80August 31, 2024 7:33 PM

My parents went to a travel agent’s office to plan a trip.

by Anonymousreply 81August 31, 2024 7:42 PM

I bought a laptop on my phone.

by Anonymousreply 82August 31, 2024 7:42 PM

I bought a phone on my laptop (truthfully).

by Anonymousreply 83August 31, 2024 7:45 PM

(Or, in truth.)

by Anonymousreply 84August 31, 2024 7:45 PM

Still payin for it too

by Anonymousreply 85August 31, 2024 7:45 PM

[quote] Computer geek here. Been using them since the 90's. I love smart phones, love my custom built $5,000 water cooled desktop, HATE laptops. Never owned one, never will. Overpriced garbage, if you need real power for 8k video editing, 3D animation, etc you need a true workstation, if you need to travel light, use an iPhone. Laptops are a jack of all trades, master of none at double the price what you get for it.

I agree. I thought my iMac (desktop) was expensive, then I looked at the prices of the Apple laptops. More than 2X as much! Crazy! My sisters use laptops and I don't think they even use them outside of the house. I don't understand why you'd want a laptop for home use.

I do use a laptop when WFH; that's what they issued to me. My work docs are not browser-based, so I have to use that laptop. I am thinking about getting an external monitor and plugging it into the laptop.

by Anonymousreply 86August 31, 2024 7:51 PM

[Quote] Let me check for where I placed my fucks,

Ok I know this was probably said ironically, but even then, anyone who thinks it’s adorable to treat the idiom “I don’t give a fuck” literally deserves to be run over by a steamroller.

by Anonymousreply 87August 31, 2024 7:52 PM

Why would I give even the tiniest of fucks what someone else thinks about shit like this?

I lived around Gen Z'ers a few years back in a college town. Those sad ass bitches didn't know how to mail a letter, or use a washer or dryer. Fuck those sad, dumb twats.

by Anonymousreply 88August 31, 2024 7:57 PM

[quote]I don't understand why you'd want a laptop for home use.

I don't understand why you wouldn't. Or a PC for home use.

I don't like doing everything on my phone or ipad. I need a big screen and a keyboard.

I'm on the cusp of late Gen X/early Millennial so of course that makes me ancient to Gen Z but oh well.

by Anonymousreply 89August 31, 2024 7:57 PM

Why do I like to use a laptop in my home? One thing a phone can't do is substitute for a TV. If I want to watch something like a movie or TV show on my laptop, I can take it into the kitchen with me, the bathroom, bedroom, whatever. I can type something at the dining room table, at the kitchen counter, in my bedroom, outside, etc. A couple of reasons why. I don't want to type a long thing on my phone. And I don't want to be anchored to a desk. Can bring it to the summer cottage as well.

by Anonymousreply 90August 31, 2024 8:25 PM

I mean you can watch a movie or podcast on your phone but I don't enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 91August 31, 2024 8:26 PM

I like how r90 snuck in that he has a summer cottage.

by Anonymousreply 92August 31, 2024 8:33 PM

I'm 70, and I use both my phone and my laptop. They're both so inexpensive it seems silly not to have both. I know people pay insane amounts of money for phones, and I assume laptops, but in my use case it's just not necessary.

My $150 Android phone works just fine and supports my amateur photography very well. My partner's $90 smartphone works fine for him as he doesn't use it for much but calls. Our $400 laptop gives us the option of a big screen and easy use of multiple tabs. And they're synched.

All for around $600, and we could have bought cheaper versions of the laptop and my phone.

by Anonymousreply 93August 31, 2024 8:42 PM

Oh, and we live in 1000 square feet, so a desktop is unnecessarily big. ^^^

by Anonymousreply 94August 31, 2024 8:44 PM

R92 I don't have a summer cottage! But sometimes I rent one if I can afford to.

by Anonymousreply 95August 31, 2024 8:45 PM

(For a week.)

by Anonymousreply 96August 31, 2024 8:45 PM

R50, in my experience they'll be better off in Maine.

by Anonymousreply 97August 31, 2024 8:49 PM

I prefer my iPad to watch videos while at my summer cottage.

by Anonymousreply 98August 31, 2024 8:55 PM

You guys are old.

by Anonymousreply 99August 31, 2024 8:55 PM

I use a solar powered laptop at my Jagdschloss in Silesia.

by Anonymousreply 100August 31, 2024 8:56 PM

If we're traveling the phone gets used for everything as we don't carry the laptop (weird, I know). The phone does everything I need to pay bills while away or make reservations/purchases/or (amazing) phone calls.

Our laptop doesn't move around much, and it stays in the condo.

What I don't understand is tablets. Or for that matter, Apple things.

by Anonymousreply 101August 31, 2024 8:57 PM

Phones are far more susceptible to people getting banking info or Apple Pay info, so if my use of a desktop or laptop computer makes me horrifically uncool, I'll live with that, and laugh my way to the bank, where my money will STILL be safe inside my account.

Some Gen Z'ers do so much else on a live camera feed that I'm surprised they don't log into their bank accounts while live on camera, too. Everything MUST be shared online live!!!

by Anonymousreply 102August 31, 2024 9:00 PM

I would only bring the laptop on vacation if I was staying in a place for a while, that I drove to.

by Anonymousreply 103August 31, 2024 9:00 PM

Perhaps this is the wine talking but

what

by Anonymousreply 104August 31, 2024 9:01 PM

Again, you guys are old. Who TF brings a laptop on vacation?

You realize you can do everything on your phone or an app, right?

by Anonymousreply 105August 31, 2024 9:02 PM

R105, I'm 70 and only carry my phone while traveling. I agree that a laptop is not necessary. If for some reason we need to print something, the hotel business center gets used.

by Anonymousreply 106August 31, 2024 9:06 PM

R61 doesn't understand the difference between an OP and an article shared written by someone else.

Thoughts & Prayers for R61.

by Anonymousreply 107August 31, 2024 9:06 PM

Y'all bitches need to mind your own business.

by Anonymousreply 108August 31, 2024 9:12 PM

R105 DL sucks on a phone! How can I enjoy my vacation without browsing DL?!

by Anonymousreply 109August 31, 2024 9:13 PM

R105 I guess I TF do. I like to type on a keyboard. Don't you people ever write anything longer than a text message? Like an email to someone? Or a piece of fiction or nonfiction? I don't want to type it on my phone.

I like to watch videos on a screen larger than a pack of cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 110August 31, 2024 9:13 PM

R44 is trying so hard to be young, hip, and cool.

by Anonymousreply 111August 31, 2024 9:14 PM

Anyway, forget about vacation. Laptops are used by people all the time, they are sold, they exist, and many people like to use them. Many people take them to the library or Starbucks, or use them in their homes because they are LAPTOPS. You don't need to use them at a desk. Get the hell out of here with your nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 112August 31, 2024 9:15 PM

I see YOUNG people using laptops and MacBooks all the time in libraries.

by Anonymousreply 113August 31, 2024 9:18 PM

The problem I have with my laptop is that it's like not as convenient as a phone when I like want to watch a movie while like crossing a busy city intersection like at night, dressed in dark clothing, with like four lanes of traffic coming at me like in each direction. iPhones are like amazing for this.

by Anonymousreply 114August 31, 2024 9:21 PM

R114 Bro...

by Anonymousreply 115August 31, 2024 10:06 PM

The truth is we're old. No one wants to touch us (unless we pay) Our dicks just lay there. Makes us cranky. We drone on as if we are rivals to "the greatest generation" because we can write in cursive and know who Dorothy Kilgallen was. We are culturally irrelevant and headed for imminent extinction and it pisses us off so we concoct these pathetic threads. We seethe in our Geriatric Lounge echo chamber about all those damn Gen Z punks who will inherit our "treasures". We cackle as we correct their grammar but it dosen't shrink our prostates. We're tiresome gits. We're cliches. We're DL'ers . Oh Dear!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 31, 2024 11:31 PM

Gen Z just doesn’t care. They’re making the rules as they go along, not following. They’re changing the world one click at a time. They’re not tethered to traditional routes to success. In fact they’re succeeding without ever even thinking about it.

They’re influencing everything we do just by rejecting everything they see.

by Anonymousreply 117September 1, 2024 12:00 AM

Mostly with my mobile. I transfer large sums between accounts, pay bills, order and pay for loads of things small and large on my phone.

If I am doing some complicated shopping on multiple sites at once, I will use a laptop; or if the mobile app is frustrating, or seems an abbreviated version of the website, the laptop can work better and present the info better and easier to access what I want quickly.

by Anonymousreply 118September 1, 2024 12:09 AM

R117 went to school with him...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 1, 2024 12:11 AM

They’re not down with the man, dig?

by Anonymousreply 120September 1, 2024 12:24 AM

I cheated off his tests in school back in Athens. What a nerd.

by Anonymousreply 121September 1, 2024 1:14 AM

For a generation who is all about establishing their own identities and being "individuals" they sure do DEMAND that EVERYONE do thing the way they do it and mock those who don't fall in line with their view of the world.

by Anonymousreply 122September 1, 2024 1:34 AM

This younger generation has a lot of contempt for the generation that invented the devices they're using.

by Anonymousreply 123September 1, 2024 1:36 AM

More CAPS Pawpaw we can't HEAR you. We're as ancient as you R122.

by Anonymousreply 124September 1, 2024 1:38 AM

R123 invented Post-It .

by Anonymousreply 125September 1, 2024 1:43 AM

R116 is that Russell Mulcahey blowing Bambi Galitzine?

by Anonymousreply 126September 1, 2024 1:48 AM

FUCK GENZ TO HELL!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 127September 1, 2024 2:04 AM

R127 gramps triggered

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 1, 2024 2:08 AM

[quote]More CAPS Pawpaw we can't HEAR you. We're as ancient as you [R122].

Triggered?

Funny how two words done in caps seems to get your panties in a bunch.

I guess when confronted by your own hypocrisy, it causes a full meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 129September 1, 2024 2:16 AM

I'm sorry, but as someone who has seen nieces and nephews in this age range taking a million years to do something on their phone (which could be done so much quicker on a laptop) -- how stupid and inefficient.

by Anonymousreply 130September 1, 2024 2:48 AM

Gen Z big purchase = buying more than one item on Shein.

by Anonymousreply 131September 1, 2024 2:49 AM

Gee, I don't remember ever being in my early twenties and obsessing over what middle-aged and older people were doing. I guess I was too busy, you know, having fun.

A lot of this younger generation is, to use one of their terms, weird AF.

by Anonymousreply 132September 1, 2024 2:53 AM

Another thing that triggers them about the millennials and Gen Xers is that we wear ankle socks. Gen Z won't stand for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 1, 2024 2:57 AM

R133, they should worry more about their own waistline

by Anonymousreply 134September 1, 2024 2:58 AM

I'm kind of glad I'm a Gen Xer and got to sleep with and date guys who were hot. I think I'd feel desperate if I were to enter the dating scene and had to settle for someone with a broccoli hairstyle, underdeveloped upper body and wearing jeans 3 sizes too large with a pair of crocs.

by Anonymousreply 135September 1, 2024 3:05 AM

R129 tosh. I love the smell of senility in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 136September 1, 2024 3:20 AM

Apparently, older millennials were possibly the last generation to just have fun, party, drink, go to concerts, hook up, screw around.

I'm glad I made it in before #CellPhoneLife!

by Anonymousreply 137September 1, 2024 3:27 AM

R128, it's amusing that you think that only people 70+ take issue with their stupid 'demands.'

The ones they are really clashing with right now are Xennials who have no time for their whiny BS.

by Anonymousreply 138September 1, 2024 3:43 AM

R138 fools who categorize billions of human beings by ridiculous names based on arbitrary birthdates are ageist simpletons.

by Anonymousreply 139September 1, 2024 3:58 AM

If I can use my phone I’ll never use my laptop. My phone is much more secure I’ve never had a virus on it. I didn’t know this was even a thing.

by Anonymousreply 140September 1, 2024 4:03 AM

r139 It only applies to Americans.

And if you want to get specific, white Americans.

And if you want to get even more specific, native-born white Americans.

by Anonymousreply 141September 1, 2024 4:05 AM

[quote] Gee, I don't remember ever being in my early twenties and obsessing over what middle-aged and older people were doing. I guess I was too busy, you know, having fun.

Articles and statements like the one at OP are clickbait (but still fun to discuss).

I don't think Gen Z is obsessing over what middle-aged people are doing.

by Anonymousreply 142September 1, 2024 4:06 AM

R141 not only ageist but racist and ethnocentric. Even more ridiculous. No wonder you dotty old queens lap it up.😂

by Anonymousreply 143September 1, 2024 4:21 AM

R143, I love that you level the word 'ageism' and then in the next sentence mention 'dotty old queens.' Hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 144September 1, 2024 4:25 AM

r143 it is what it is. The generational categories are really for whites. Black people will tell you this.

by Anonymousreply 145September 1, 2024 4:29 AM

r143 assumes we're all white eldergays. Talk about ageist and racist!

by Anonymousreply 146September 1, 2024 4:30 AM

R145, ummmm, no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 1, 2024 4:30 AM

R12: Gen Z are tech-illiterate fools, almost on the same level as Boomers. They never grew up using laptops and computers and thus they are having a horrible time at work since they don't know how to type or perform basic computer functions which the preceding generations grew up on.

by Anonymousreply 148September 1, 2024 4:32 AM

Um yeah r147

by Anonymousreply 149September 1, 2024 4:37 AM

R149, no. American Gen Z's horribleness exceeds any racial or ethnic category. They're all pretty universally stupid.

How is that for being color-blind? ;)

by Anonymousreply 150September 1, 2024 4:39 AM

[quote]r13 I am a gen-xer who still thinks buying a car online is weird. Some things you just have to see or touch before purchasing.

I feel the same about purchasing escorts.

[bold]#Str8OffTheSunsetStrip

by Anonymousreply 151September 1, 2024 4:42 AM

r150 that's not what was being talked about.

by Anonymousreply 152September 1, 2024 4:42 AM

R152, well, that's what I'm talking about. So too bad, I guess?

by Anonymousreply 153September 1, 2024 4:44 AM

[quote] Gen Z are tech-illiterate fools, almost on the same level as Boomers. They never grew up using laptops and computers and thus they are having a horrible time at work since they don't know how to type or perform basic computer functions which the preceding generations grew up on.

I work in a law office. I noticed that the newest (and youngest) attorney in the office doesn't really write or respond to emails. (This is the main way we communicate with each other and with outside law firms, as well. It's also the main paper trail.) I don't use acronyms that much when I talk, but I said something about OCR (optical character recognition) to this attorney and he didn't know what I was talking about.

(We apply OCR to documents so that you can search & recognize text.)

by Anonymousreply 154September 1, 2024 4:47 AM

Gen Z seems quite fine. It's super hot on my campus this week and all the gen z hairy legs are on display. 5" shorts are the norm this year, so I see mid calf, and more they sit. Some of the tarty guys are wearing 4" inseams! It's the 70s again. What was the topic?

by Anonymousreply 155September 1, 2024 4:49 AM

Go to bed r153

by Anonymousreply 156September 1, 2024 4:49 AM

R144/R146 hardly hypocritical. Never sterotyped millions of people based on race or age. Just stated facts about two bitter curmudgeons based on their deranged posts on this thread. Easy to comprehend if dementia hasn't set in. Isn't time for your porridge?

by Anonymousreply 157September 1, 2024 4:50 AM

R156, no. My 40-year-old self is quite awake, child.

by Anonymousreply 158September 1, 2024 4:50 AM

R158 bet ya look 25😂

by Anonymousreply 159September 1, 2024 4:52 AM

R159, but of course!

by Anonymousreply 160September 1, 2024 4:56 AM

r157 there are always accuracies in generational categories. But you sound pretty stupid.

by Anonymousreply 161September 1, 2024 4:57 AM

R161 the accuracy being your generation is pretty brittle and judgemental as your embittered invective demonstrates. You type pretty ancient.Now get back to your applesauce.

by Anonymousreply 162September 1, 2024 5:18 AM

[quote] [R161] the accuracy being your generation is pretty brittle and judgemental as your embittered invective demonstrates.

Older people have always been brittle and judgmental.

But what is Gen Z's excuse?

by Anonymousreply 163September 1, 2024 5:22 AM

r162 I'm younger x/early Millennial cusp, just a few years older than you. And you sound like a real cunt.

by Anonymousreply 164September 1, 2024 5:28 AM

r162 looking at your posting history you are one extremely bitter, unhappy and misanthropic person. I feel sorry for you.

by Anonymousreply 165September 1, 2024 5:30 AM

R164, I don't think Gen Z wants a fight with older millennials/young Gen X, which is why they keep beating up on elderly seniors.

by Anonymousreply 166September 1, 2024 5:31 AM

Based on this thread all people ages 12 to 27 are:

Stupid

Demanding

Clueless

Horrible

Rude

Fools

Illiterate.

White

Americans.

But the one thing they really are that you old farts will never be is 12-27 yo. And it drives you batshit crazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167September 1, 2024 5:34 AM

Nope r167. I like being in my forties. I had a great time in my twenties but I'm in a much better place now. And have a lot more money.

by Anonymousreply 168September 1, 2024 5:35 AM

R165 you'll never feel anyone my age😂

by Anonymousreply 169September 1, 2024 5:36 AM

R167, I don't envy your generation at all.

by Anonymousreply 170September 1, 2024 5:37 AM

R168 and we'll get it all.

by Anonymousreply 171September 1, 2024 5:37 AM

R170 we don't envy your bladder at all

by Anonymousreply 172September 1, 2024 5:38 AM

R172, but you envy our fashions, which is why you brought '90s clothes -- back to sheath your fat bodies.

by Anonymousreply 173September 1, 2024 5:40 AM

BTW, I wonder how long it would take Gen Z to erupt into fits of sobbing if they actually ever were transported back to the '90s (that they think they like)?

by Anonymousreply 174September 1, 2024 5:41 AM

R173,but you envy our youthful fashions,which is why you BOUGHT diapers to sheath you incontinent wizened asses.

by Anonymousreply 175September 1, 2024 5:46 AM

R175, go swallow a tide-pod, chile!

by Anonymousreply 176September 1, 2024 5:50 AM

Hilarious that you feebs think the "90"s were the high point of western civilization merely because you could Vogue and actually ejaculate. Long gone along with your hardons .All ya got left is this narcssistic crone. The manifest face of your generation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177September 1, 2024 6:07 AM

R177, do try harder not to W&W your own posts so quickly after posting. I know you're young and dumb. But it's pretty obvious. Just sayin!

by Anonymousreply 178September 1, 2024 6:10 AM

R7, they use their parents' money, and they think they're entitled to use their parents' attitude, too.

And now since they're no longer in high school or college, they are (for the VERY FIRST TIME), being confronted with adults and a hierarchy telling them the word [bold]NO[/bold] for the very first time in their lives.

It's hard for them. :(

by Anonymousreply 179September 1, 2024 6:14 AM

R178 do tell Pawpaw

by Anonymousreply 180September 1, 2024 6:15 AM

R180, I shall, Mrs. Bojangles.

by Anonymousreply 181September 1, 2024 6:18 AM

R179 wow CAPs & BOLD ! Amazing what two Dubonnet can do before bedtime.

by Anonymousreply 182September 1, 2024 6:23 AM

R181 was that a talkie Mr Potter?

by Anonymousreply 183September 1, 2024 6:25 AM

R145 that's probably because you lack multigenerational families. 😮

by Anonymousreply 184September 1, 2024 6:25 AM

Gotta jet. Thanks for the guffaws. Means I won't have to vist the Nursing Home on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 185September 1, 2024 6:28 AM

R185, have fun renting for life, sweet potato pie!

by Anonymousreply 186September 1, 2024 6:30 AM

^ no fruit cup for you Meemaw

by Anonymousreply 187September 1, 2024 6:32 AM

Fuck gen Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 188September 1, 2024 6:48 AM

Isn't Gen Z the generation afraid to answer the telephone?

by Anonymousreply 189September 1, 2024 7:41 AM

[quote] Gen Z are tech-illiterate fools, almost on the same level as Boomers. They never grew up using laptops and computers and thus they are having a horrible time at work since they don't know how to type or perform basic computer functions which the preceding generations grew up on.

R148 I don't know any boomers who are tech-illiterate. I do know people who are around 80 or older who don't use computers. But I don't disparage them. At least boomers used typewriters and learned to type. My mom (born in the late 1920s never learned to type, because a great many people didn't type, in that generation. But she had beautiful handwriting, It was taught in elementary school, because many things were still hand-written, then I bet your handwriting sucks.

by Anonymousreply 190September 1, 2024 1:09 PM

[quote]I don't know any boomers who are tech-illiterate.

I guess you've never worked in an office.

by Anonymousreply 191September 1, 2024 1:56 PM

I've been working at my new job for about six months now. One of the Zoomer summer part-timers left for her senior year in college the other day, so we had a cake, $25 Target gift card and a 'Thank You' card for her at lunchtime, to acknowledge all the help she gave us in the office the past three months. (She really was nice young lady, very polite and very helpful). A few of us 'Boomers' and 'Xers' put a message in the card, writing it in cursive (millennials and zoomers, I've noticed, do not personalize the card in any way with a message -they just print their names).

About an hour later, she came up to me and said she had a question - she opens the card, points to the message I wrote and asked, "What does this even mean ?" She told me she couldn't understand the writing (which was very legible - just in cursive). I had to read it to her - "Thanks for all your help this summer. Have fun in your senior year." She thought it was 'sweet' . I then had to read to her what the other three messages said in 'cursive writing' from my coworkers.

by Anonymousreply 192September 1, 2024 2:29 PM

R191 Yes I worked at a job where almost everyone was a baby boomer and the things they were required to do using computers, they handled without problems. It's not very hard.

I'm in my 60s and most of us were "computer illiterate" since most of us didn't spend our pre-40s working with computers. I don't know what you expected us to do about that. Was it our fault? When they were introduced, we learned and adapted, in middle age. How about some credit for that, instead of thinking it's a big deal that people who used computers since they were children can use them?

by Anonymousreply 193September 1, 2024 2:50 PM

...and my mom and dad's generation--many of them learned to use computers and later, smart phones, when they were in their 70s and 80s. I think they deserve a little bit of credit for that, not scorn.

by Anonymousreply 194September 1, 2024 2:52 PM

[Quote] I mean you can watch a movie or podcast on your phone but I don't enjoy it.

I have a thing called a television for that.

by Anonymousreply 195September 1, 2024 2:57 PM

r193 in my experience the executive-level Boomers are hopeless with Word, Excel, various software programs etc. Of course the secretaries know how to use those things.

by Anonymousreply 196September 1, 2024 3:00 PM

R189 1 ringy dingy 🫣 2 ringy dingy 😶‍🌫️ 3 ringy dingy 🤯

by Anonymousreply 197September 1, 2024 3:39 PM

“You can’t select boarding schools for your children on a cell phone. This is your child’s earning potential at stake!”

by Anonymousreply 198September 1, 2024 3:50 PM

R196 Add Emeritus Boomer Professors to that list.

by Anonymousreply 199September 1, 2024 4:01 PM

[quote]I'm in my 60s and most of us were "computer illiterate" since most of us didn't spend our pre-40s working with computers.

What did you do for a living, R193 -- dig ditches?

My-ex-the-cop bought us a new desktop computer, a CompUAdd, in1990 (she was 26, I was 30). She subscribed us to Prodigy (akin to a search engine) and taught herself how to write code in MS-DOS. She eventually taught me. By the time I got to grad school a few years later, I was writing my papers on a computer in Word Perfect, and writing code to do statistical analyses in SPSS. And I've been using computers ever since, including (of course) now.

So I don't think I'd say I "grew up" with computers, but I've been using them 35+ years.

Age before beauty!

by Anonymousreply 200September 1, 2024 4:39 PM

r199 when I was in college in the late 90s/early 2000s the Internet was the bane of many an older professor. It was like it came from hell itself, to hear these older fucks go on and on about it. They were totally technically illiterate (completely ridiculous for educators, but that's another story) and we were forbidden to use the Internet when writing papers. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 201September 1, 2024 6:06 PM

R200 You always have some smart-ass reply, huh? I didn't have the money to buy that shit (I guess, neither did you, but someone bought it for you.) I was an actor, a temp worker, I dug a few ditches, in a manner of speaking, did construction. I did go to the library and use a computer occasionally (before they had "pictures")...I wrote film reviews for a newspaper and sometimes wrote them in the office on a computer. But it wasn't until I went into a different line of work at around 39 that I needed to use a computer every day. I knew many people like myself.

by Anonymousreply 202September 1, 2024 7:12 PM

R201 Yo know Gen Z is going to be exactly like that some day about other technical advances.

by Anonymousreply 203September 1, 2024 7:13 PM

For the record, Judge Judy, nearly 82, proudly says she doesn't really know how to use 'that machine'. So she makes her Zoomillennial granddaughter (who tries so hard to be the next Ivanka Trump) to do all the tech stuff for her on the show. Granddaughter prefers an iPad or her iPhone to do the work.

by Anonymousreply 204September 1, 2024 10:33 PM

Hey heiffer R145. Here are the ladies of LSA tearing into Gen Z.

You were saying?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205September 3, 2024 8:29 AM

I feel so sorry for you people ingesting that pure shit into your heads (i.e. Judgey Barky Judy & The HouseHors). How do you think people get brain cancer?

by Anonymousreply 206September 3, 2024 9:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!