Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Patch of Blue starring Sidney Poitier

This is a sadly forgotten movie. Wiki said Patch of Blue was the most financially successful of any of Poitier's films. Shelley Winters got her second Oscar for this as sort of a white version of Mo'Nique's character from Precious. Elizabeth Hartman gives a lovely performance as a blind girl who falls in love with Poitier. Winters says the n word and clearly isn't comfortable saying it yet still got an Oscar. This scene is also reminiscent of Precious as Hartman relates her rape by one of Winters' boyfriends and how Winters never forgave her for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2024 7:54 PM

I've always loved this movie. My parents took me to see it when it came out. Yes, I'm old.

by Anonymousreply 1August 30, 2024 9:28 PM

Elizabeth was too fragile for this world.

by Anonymousreply 2August 30, 2024 9:33 PM

Shelley’s second Oscar!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 30, 2024 9:34 PM

Love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 4August 30, 2024 11:31 PM

I saw the movie as a kid and only when I saw it later did I understand that Winters was going to force her daughter into prostitution.

The chemistry between Poitier and Hartman is amazing. Despite the bleakness, the love story is tender and moving. Although the blind girl/black guy story is cliche, it's by far my favorite Poitier movie. Unlike Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, he's just a simple, hardworking man and very relatable. Pauline Kael said that Sissy Spacek's Carrie was reminiscent of Hartman in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 5August 30, 2024 11:55 PM

Hartman could wear a pair of sunglasses with more style than Jackie O. Love the outdoor scenes in the park when she first meets Poitier.

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2024 12:16 AM

Lovely acting--

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2024 12:19 AM

Did Shelley deserve both her Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2024 12:27 AM

My mom took me to see it in the movies when I was a little kid. I still remember that day.

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2024 12:55 AM

R9 was it a good day? I love how some days just standout no matter how much comes afterwards

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2024 12:57 AM

CBS Friday Night Late Movie. My sister is blind. That movie was empowering.

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2024 1:00 AM

Great film. I read somewhere that Elizabeth’s role in THE GROUP helped to push her to the brink…

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2024 1:02 AM

R2, that’s the best description I ever read about Elizabeth Hartman’s life.

by Anonymousreply 13August 31, 2024 1:29 AM

[quote]I read somewhere that Elizabeth’s role in THE GROUP helped to push her to the brink…

I wonder why, r12.

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2024 1:34 AM

Shelley Winters was brilliant; she made her character so terrifying real.

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2024 1:34 AM

A very realistic depiction of the depravity of the alcoholic family, it reminds me of my childhood. Wallace Ford was awesome as old pa. Love when he puts his choppers in.

by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2024 7:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!