Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Stamos Kicked Out of Church of Scientology for ‘F–king Around So Much’

When John Stamos was 17 years old, he was allegedly recruited to join the Church of Scientology though his membership didn’t last long.

“With me, I was in an acting class and there was a hot girl, [who] said to me, ‘You know we’re all meeting at this [place] on Hollywood Boulevard, you should come after [class],’” Stamos, 61, recalled on the Sunday, August 25, episode of the “Friends in High Places” podcast. “I was working at my dad’s restaurant at the time and I said, ‘Dad, I gotta go.’ So, I went and it was the Scientology building.”

It was both the “hot girl” and his acting idol, John Travolta, who inspired Stamos to go to the meeting.

“Seeing [Grease] was like, ‘I wanna be that,” Stamos recalled. “I wanted to be John Travolta, I still do. Well, minus the whatever it is that they do.”

Celebrity Scientologists and Stars Who Have Left the Church

Travolta, 70, joined the Church of Scientology in 1975. Stamos, meanwhile, never made it past one of the introductory sessions.

After Stamos arrived at the church, he was brought into the Scientology building and introduced to a machinery known as the “E-Meter,” which was made out of two cans. (The church claims that its electropsychometer device can indicate changes in emotional states to identify stored engrams and “levels of spiritual distress,” per a website description.) The Full House alum immediately started playing around with the device, pretending to hold a fake phone conversation.

“I was doing a Peabody and Sherman [impression] and they didn’t like that,” Stamos claimed. “Then, I was just f–king around so much, they said, ‘Get out [and] get going.’ They just kicked me out.”

After podcast host Matt Friend joked that Stamos was “too annoying” to join the controversial group, the actor concurred.

“That’s pretty bad, I must have been terrible,” Stamos quipped.

Relive Bob Saget and John Stamos’ Brotherhood Through the Years: Photos

Stamos previously detailed his experience with the Church of Scientology in his 2023 memoir, If You Would Have Told Me.

“I’m walking to my car and Mia runs out and hands me my workbooks,” Stamos wrote in the book. “‘Hey, you forgot these.’ She adds an extra book, the size of a brick, to my stack. ‘Start with this one,’ she says, smiling. ‘I think it will open your eyes to some amazing things.’”

When Stamos opened the book, he read a passage about control and “controlling your reactionary mind, controlling energy, controlling space and controlling time.”

While the book intrigued Stamos to stop by the Church’s venue, he soon found the location to be “creepy as f–k.”

“[One man] begins to question me about committing crimes, asks if I have negative thoughts about Scientology or [founder] L. Ron Hubbard and probes into some strange sex inquiries,” Stamos wrote. “The Wayback Machine needle jumps in the corner, and Mia looks disappointed. Apparently, I’m not Scientology material. Darn it.”

The church, meanwhile, has not publicly addressed Stamos’ claims.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 30, 2024 12:54 PM

Back when Scientologists could be selective!

I'm sure they kick themselves now thinking of all the Full House money they could've swindled from Stamos.

by Anonymousreply 1August 30, 2024 11:41 AM

Exactly, R1.

They only kicked him out because he was young and poor.

Scienos only keep the rich and famous actors, for their money.

by Anonymousreply 2August 30, 2024 12:09 PM

Wow, he dodged a bullet there. Scientology is a horrific and dangerous cult, and he did well to get kicked out so soon. I suspect it wasnt so much that he was "fucking annoying" that really got him kicked out, it was that he had a sense that all was not right even at that young age and they picked up that he wasnt an easy gullible young mark - from the article;

[quote]While the book intrigued Stamos to stop by the Church’s venue, he soon found the location to be “creepy as f–k.”

He knew what was up. His intuition served him well

by Anonymousreply 3August 30, 2024 12:29 PM

This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 4August 30, 2024 12:49 PM

Thank you, Tom!

by Anonymousreply 5August 30, 2024 12:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!