Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why doesn't grape ice cream exist?

I love all things grape. Why not ice cream?

by Anonymousreply 49August 29, 2024 2:41 AM

it does in Upstate/WNY.

Not sure anywhere else. It's kind of a weird flavor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 28, 2024 6:58 AM

Sounds good!

by Anonymousreply 2August 28, 2024 7:01 AM

Here we go OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 28, 2024 7:16 AM

that's kind of a lame article, to be honest.

but whatever. it still exists.

by Anonymousreply 4August 28, 2024 7:20 AM

Grape Ice Cream is a thing, and it's popular in our area. It's sold at Handel's Ice Cream stores. Here's a picture of grape ice cream from their website.

Grape Ice Cream is not sour or tart. It's smooth and delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 28, 2024 7:30 AM

I wish lemon ice creams were more popular

by Anonymousreply 6August 28, 2024 8:15 AM

R6. I remember Hagen Daz did a wonderful lemon sorbet & Cream swirl years ago

by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2024 8:56 AM

R5 Thanks for the picture. My mouth waters...

by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2024 4:35 PM

I'm going to make avocado ice cream, it should be different.

by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2024 5:55 PM

I like all things grape including grape ice cream, but grape sorbet even more. Did Ben and Jerry’s do a lemon-grape sorbet at some point?

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2024 6:38 PM

I remember loving a “purple cow” when I was a kid. It’s a vanilla ice cream float using grape juice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2024 6:43 PM

Whyyy would you want to diveshious away from mmmmmaking delishoooos boxes of wiiiiine?

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2024 6:44 PM

Because that sounds kind of nasty, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13August 28, 2024 7:07 PM

Grape is not a "flavor."

That's why it was discovered to be a perfect medium for improvement via wine.

And sugared jams and jellies.

by Anonymousreply 14August 28, 2024 7:07 PM

Baskin Robbins used to sell grape ice cream when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 15August 28, 2024 7:09 PM

I don't know how grape isn't a flavor.

Raspberry is a flavor. Blackberry is a flavor. Blueberry is a flavor.

There are recipes for Concord grape pie and Naples (in the Finger Lakes region of NY) is the Grape Pie Capital of the World.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 28, 2024 7:13 PM

You could always go suck on a Concord Grape popsicle. I think Welch's still makes their frozen juice bars.

by Anonymousreply 17August 28, 2024 7:18 PM

I made a grape pie once with pastry/nut crust. Probably better than fresh cherry pie, which comes out completely bland without almond extract.

by Anonymousreply 18August 28, 2024 7:24 PM

What exactly do blueberries taste like? Can someone explain and also let me know their season?

I eat them because they're healthy but I don't taste any sour or sweet or anything. To me, they are the fruit equivalent of plain rice cakes.

by Anonymousreply 19August 28, 2024 7:30 PM

They taste like blueberries, for christ's sake! Can you not tell a blueberry from a raspberry from a strawberry, R19??

by Anonymousreply 20August 28, 2024 7:34 PM

And the Snozzberries taste like Snozzberries!

by Anonymousreply 21August 28, 2024 7:39 PM

R19, saying they 'taste like blueberries' is not telling me what they taste like. Are they sweet? Sour? A mix of both?

by Anonymousreply 22August 28, 2024 7:44 PM

R19, I think blueberries are one of those things that taste way different (better) in the wild vs. commercially grown, like strawberries.

I don't think blueberries, commercially grown, have that much flavor. They're not really tart, they're not very sweet. Blah.

Commercially-grown strawberries can be doctored up to bring out the flavor.

by Anonymousreply 23August 28, 2024 7:46 PM

Just add grape Koolaid powder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 28, 2024 7:49 PM

They even discontinued grape Pop Tarts, so there must be some explanation. Consult Cesar Chavez & Dolores Huertes.

by Anonymousreply 25August 28, 2024 8:00 PM

Pop Tarts have gone down the shitter (measly fillings, "pastry" tastes dry, like nothing).

by Anonymousreply 26August 28, 2024 8:02 PM

My town has a grape jamboree each year where grape pies and ice cream are sold.

by Anonymousreply 27August 28, 2024 8:12 PM

Thank you, R23. Like I said, I eat them. I thought maybe I wasn't buying them in season.

by Anonymousreply 28August 28, 2024 8:47 PM

Blueberries are rather subtle R28. They increase their flavor when cooked, as jams or pies or compotes. I adore blueberry pie but admit it isn't something I could describe as tasting a specific way, the way that a lemon meringue or squash or peach pie tastes.

Wild or farm-stand blueberries are preferable to supermarket fruit, but that tends to be true across the board.

by Anonymousreply 29August 28, 2024 9:03 PM

r19 Honey you need to try Big Blue blueberries. Huge, flavourful and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 30August 28, 2024 9:25 PM

R22 They have a sweet and rich flavor with a slight sour tang

by Anonymousreply 31August 28, 2024 9:31 PM

Blueberries are better when they are slightly "soft" and ripe.

by Anonymousreply 32August 28, 2024 9:36 PM

Blueberries you find in the wild are so good. They're small, but so flavor-packed. Several years ago I went on an outback camping trip in a Canadian Provincial park and they were part of our daily diet.

Blows away the huge berries you get in the market.

by Anonymousreply 33August 28, 2024 9:48 PM

Picture this: blueberry and maple swirl in vanilla ice cream 🤤

by Anonymousreply 34August 28, 2024 10:02 PM

To get the most out of supermarket berries, score about 30 of them with a sharp knife and then stir a teaspoonful of sugar into the berries, mixing gently.

by Anonymousreply 35August 28, 2024 10:03 PM

I haven’t been to the ice cream shops lately but grape was always on the menu.

by Anonymousreply 36August 28, 2024 10:20 PM

I want to find marionberry ice cream. Unfortunately I don't think they sell it in the Midwest..

by Anonymousreply 37August 28, 2024 10:27 PM

I think that's a regional/PNW thing (although we in Northern CA sometimes are able to get Marionberry pie).

by Anonymousreply 38August 28, 2024 10:36 PM

[Quote] It’s a vanilla ice cream float using grape juice.

Ew.

by Anonymousreply 39August 28, 2024 10:45 PM

[Quote] I want to find marionberry ice cream.

Ice cream that tastes like a crackhead mayor? DisGUSTING!!!

by Anonymousreply 40August 28, 2024 10:46 PM

So many ice cream flavors have potential. We need more banana ice cream. And grapefruit ice cream. Justice for papaya ice cream. I suppose these are fairly common gelato flavors. Suddenly I feel the urge to visit an authentic gelateria. Woe is me, to yearn for exotic frozen desserts whilst trapped in a suburban desert.

by Anonymousreply 41August 28, 2024 10:53 PM

[quote]There are recipes for Concord grape pie

R16 Grape pie? I'm googling a recipe STAT!

by Anonymousreply 42August 28, 2024 11:40 PM

[quote] We need more banana ice cream.

Chunky Monkey

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2024 1:25 AM

OP, have you ever thought of making grape ice cream yourself? I started making no churn, no machine ice cream about two years ago and array of flavors, including grape. I started with the frozen grape juice they sell at target. Making it is easy to the point of ridiculous, although it does help if you have a decent stand mixer. I’m attaching a link, but there are others. I avoid the recipes that require sweetened condensed milk because that’s what makes you thirsty after you’ve had a nice round of ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2024 1:48 AM

I eat a lot of fresh blueberries in yogurt and on cereal and I’m just happy if they don’t have tough skins. That’s when they’re really tasteless.

Pop tarts have always had measly fillings.

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2024 1:59 AM

Well, call me old, but Pop Tarts used to be a little plumper with fillings. More icing, as well.

by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2024 2:22 AM

[quote]Baskin Robbins used to sell grape ice cream when I was a kid.

And a sherbet too, Champagne Grape Ice maybe?

by Anonymousreply 47August 29, 2024 2:28 AM

Ask Ben. He’s the prick that vetoes all the good flavors.

by Anonymousreply 48August 29, 2024 2:31 AM

Marcella Hazan has a recipe for black grape gelato in her second cookbook.

It’s truly extraordinary.

I think she meant people to use a black wine grape, but every September, i make it with local concord grapes.

I tried to find it online - if you scroll down through link, you’ll find the recipe.

I highly recommend it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 29, 2024 2:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!