Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn't Jessica Lange ever appear on Kate and Allie?

There was a post on here once about how Meryl considered appearing on an episode of Who's The Boss because it was her kids favorite show.

I wonder why Jessica never did Kate and Allie. She knew Susan and Jane. And it was one of the TV's more prestigious shows back in the 80's. I could have totally seen her playing an upper-class friend of Allie's, much in the way that Mandy Patinkin's wife played a ditzy friend of Kate's. Plus, it wasn't like Jessica was against doing TV. She did the TV Cat on a Hot Tin Roof around this time.

by Anonymousreply 35August 28, 2024 9:18 AM

One of life’s great mysteries, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1August 26, 2024 11:43 PM

She was busy.

by Anonymousreply 2August 26, 2024 11:46 PM

Gary talked her out of it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3August 26, 2024 11:49 PM

I really like Kate & Allie. Was it considered a prestigious show in the 1980s?

by Anonymousreply 4August 26, 2024 11:51 PM

No, not all, r4.

by Anonymousreply 5August 26, 2024 11:54 PM

WHET Susan St. James? Is she a hermit now?

by Anonymousreply 6August 26, 2024 11:54 PM

"Why didn't Jessica Lange ever appear on Kate and Allie?", screeched Mary into her tear-stained pillow. It's thoughts like these which kept her tossing and turning- caftan in a twist- in the wee hours. "WHYYY?!".

by Anonymousreply 7August 27, 2024 12:00 AM

Why didn’t Laurence Olivier ever appear on Murder She Wrote?

by Anonymousreply 8August 27, 2024 12:08 AM

Laurence Olivier was a huge fan of The Golden Girls and considered appearing.

by Anonymousreply 9August 27, 2024 12:12 AM

Many people’s favorite broadcast at the time was The Naked News. Why the celebrity drought of guest stars on that prestigious program?

by Anonymousreply 10August 27, 2024 12:15 AM

Also, why did Mother Teresa never appear on it? Did she have something specific against Jane Curtin?

by Anonymousreply 11August 27, 2024 12:20 AM

An 80s lesbian touchstone

by Anonymousreply 12August 27, 2024 12:20 AM

A lesbian friend of mine used to call Monday nights on CBS "Dyke Night": Kate & Allie, Cagney & Lacey, and (briefly) My Sister Sam.

by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2024 12:22 AM

Just when you think there’s no one around who’s carin

Just when you think there’s no one around who’s sharin pussy

Just when you think you’re all by yourself / you’re not. A lesbian is always there

by Anonymousreply 14August 27, 2024 12:22 AM

[Quote] A lesbian friend of mine used to call Monday nights on CBS "Dyke Night

LMAO

by Anonymousreply 15August 27, 2024 12:24 AM

To be fair to OP, Lange appeared with both Curtin and St. James in the film, "How to Beat the High Cost of Living," a project which at one point in its development was to star, Ali McGraw, Goldie Hawn, and Barbra Streisand.

Kate and Allie was a part of CBS Monday night line-up that was targeted toward the female audience in opposition to Monday Night Football. I don't know how prestigious it was, but the creator Bill Persky was a legend in tv and Curtin won two straight Emmy's for it for lead actress, deservedly so. If nothing else, it was the best showcase Jane Curtin ever had for her comedic skills, as she for once was allowed to move out of the "straight man" role and go for the laughs as the tightly wound, divorced Connecticut housewife, Allie Lowell, one of my all time favorite tv characters ever.

by Anonymousreply 16August 27, 2024 12:26 AM

[Quote] Just when you think there’s no one around who’s sharin pussy

Lmao

by Anonymousreply 17August 27, 2024 12:29 AM

Op are you mentally ill, stupid or from India? Or all of the above??

by Anonymousreply 18August 27, 2024 12:32 AM

Jessica Lange's film career was on an upswing when Kate & Allie debuted in 1984. After becoming a laughing stock following King Kong, Lange was hellbent on proving herself a serious actress. Doing an episode of Kate & Allie was just not on the same prestige level as doing Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with her idol Kim Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 19August 27, 2024 12:47 AM

Cher still regrets not appearing on both The Golden Girls and the Xfiles.

On GG we got Brenda Vaccaro instead.

On the Xfiles we got a drag queen.

Seems fair.

by Anonymousreply 20August 27, 2024 12:55 AM

Too bad Paul Newman didn’t appear given the Allie character’s mad obsession with him revealed in that one episode.

by Anonymousreply 21August 27, 2024 12:58 AM

What does Susan Dey say about all of this?

by Anonymousreply 22August 27, 2024 1:02 AM

OP It keeps me awake at nite too.

by Anonymousreply 23August 27, 2024 1:02 AM

[Quote] Laurence Olivier was a huge fan of The Golden Girls and considered appearing.

ANSWER THE QUESTION

by Anonymousreply 24August 27, 2024 1:06 AM

Thank, OP. Now I'm watching K&A episodes on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 25August 27, 2024 1:19 AM

As stated above, we'll always have High Cost of Living to remind us what could have been OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 27, 2024 1:32 AM

I speak Jive..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 27, 2024 1:34 AM

Why didn’t Oprah ever appear on Diff’Rent Strokes? Was it because of whisper coo?

by Anonymousreply 28August 27, 2024 1:43 AM

Welcome back, Lange Loon. I'm always happy when you are released from the treatment center and come back. It shows everyone that the safety net is still working for those most in need.

Do you know what happened to Jessica's filmed play? It appears it can't get a distributor, but you may know. I remember you promised that she would be nominated three times this year and vault back to the A list. That was so sweet and charming.

Oh, how times these days quickly change. Be well.

by Anonymousreply 29August 27, 2024 1:50 AM

Haven't thought about Kate and Allie in decades. Why isn't it streaming somewhere? I enjoyed the show when it was on. Unlike other woman-centric shows, it didn't feature a loud, preachy female lead. (Looking at you Designing Women and anything featuring Bea Arthur.)

by Anonymousreply 30August 27, 2024 1:50 AM

r29 You just might be the mentally unstable one. That post was ... odd, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 31August 27, 2024 1:55 AM

I think the better question is, why didn't Kate and Allie appear on American Horror Story?

by Anonymousreply 32August 27, 2024 3:35 AM

Just when you think there’s no one around who’s carin

Just when you think there’s no one around who’s sharin pussy

Just when you think you’re all by yourself / you’re not. A lesbian is always there

by Anonymousreply 33August 28, 2024 12:57 AM

[quote] I think the better question is, why didn't Kate and Allie appear on American Horror Story?

That boy who played Chip who grew up to be the Barron Trump-like behemoth would have been a better choice.

by Anonymousreply 34August 28, 2024 2:40 AM

R33 like in r14?

by Anonymousreply 35August 28, 2024 9:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!