Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has anyone contributed to a Go Fund Me for a complete stranger?

I just did. It was only $50. I won't post the link. Basic recap: Texas man at intersection during thunderstorm has tree crush his SUV with him in it. Nearly a dozen cars just drive by. Crushed car guy was having problems breathing. A Hispanic woman with her kids in her car stopped and helped another man free him. She got back in her car to tend to her kids and just drove home. Rescued man found her through SM and found she's a single mom with back problems and her home was in dire need of repairs.

Has anyone else been moved enough to do this? After many years of GFM, I didn't think I could be. But she never asked for 'nuthing.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2024 10:39 PM

I haven't, but for that case I would.

by Anonymousreply 1August 26, 2024 3:40 AM

Hell no.

GoFundMe campaigns are all scammers.

by Anonymousreply 2August 26, 2024 3:42 AM

I gave a few times, mainly to animal rescue. Now prepare to be spammed through your email, Facebook, Instagram, and other social media. It's never ending.

by Anonymousreply 3August 26, 2024 3:54 AM

Does she have "a" GoFundMe"?

by Anonymousreply 4August 26, 2024 3:54 AM

Yes. A gay guy I followed on IG because I found him funny. He had health problems and eventually died. This was for rent or living expenses because he had been in the hospital for so long.

by Anonymousreply 5August 26, 2024 4:01 AM

Not a random stranger but I gave some money to Karen Black when she was in failing health before she died. I think they were trying to fund an experimental cancer treatment in Europe. I loved her in many movies over the years so it was worth it to me to send a little bit of money though I don’t think they ever managed to do the treatment before she passed away

by Anonymousreply 6August 26, 2024 4:09 AM

Was there a campaign to raise money for eye treatments for her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 26, 2024 4:11 AM

Yeah. Multiple times. If I have the money & the need is dire, I don’t see why not. They’re not all scammers.

I once contributed to this one guy who I knew was gonna blow the cash on drugs and/or booze, without a doubt. I didn’t judge him, & sent him the cash just like I’ve given cash to strangers pandering for their next fix on the street.

If I have it, I don’t mind giving it. People have helped me during tough times, & I have not forgotten that.

by Anonymousreply 8August 26, 2024 4:11 AM

Twice - In 2013 (!) for an integrated high school in rural Georgia and recently to the family of this man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 26, 2024 4:28 AM

^^ Integrated high school Prom

by Anonymousreply 10August 26, 2024 4:29 AM

Some people, like this chick, make this their means of earning a living. I would never give to her but I don't care if people do. But yes, in the OP, I would give to them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 26, 2024 4:30 AM

Never to randoms but I've given to some "online people" I've known throughout the years who'd developed health problems. Iatrogenic injuries, to be specific.

by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2024 4:33 AM

[quote]A Hispanic woman with her kids in her car stopped and helped another man free him. She got back in her car to tend to her kids and just drove home.

I love this woman dearly, whoever she is. And good for that guy, whoever he is, in being so grateful.

by Anonymousreply 13August 26, 2024 4:46 AM

(^ by "that guy" I meant the man who started the GFM)

by Anonymousreply 14August 26, 2024 4:48 AM

I won't post a link, but here's an update:

I am so overwhelmed at how many people this story has touched and inspired to donate to this awesome human being. I'm so grateful for the media coverage and a big thank you to David Chiu at People Magazine and Troy Kress at KHOU 11 here in Houston, for picking up this story and helping us share it. We have raised far more than we had expected and will be able to make a huge difference in Veronica's life. I will be engaging with members of our community who have asked if they can help through volunteering and donating their skills and trades to help Veronica fix up her home.

I want to thank every single donor that has made a contribution. My life was forever changed by this event and the miraculous outcome. Your generosity will help us change her life.

Thank you

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2024 6:53 PM

I sent 35 bucks to a young man with a 11 inch penis so he could join LPSG for a year. He is having difficulty dressing and dating and he really needs support that I can't give him, since I am hung standard. Thank god there is a resource like LPSG and Go Fund Me to help a guy out.

by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2024 7:07 PM

I sent money to a young New Jersey woman who was chased down and run over by a racist POS who had hit her car. She survived. But barely.

by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2024 7:15 PM

I found the GoFundMe, OP. $66,321 raised, so far. That was a touching story. Scary that a tree can just fall on your car like that.

Veronica looks like an awesome lady. I hope she can fix up her house with that money. Her house does need some work (water damage, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2024 7:46 PM

Donated to a local immigrant family where a house fire killed a couple people.

Meant to give $200 but my fingers were flying too fast and after I’d confirm my donation, I realized I’d typed $500.

No regrets.

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2024 7:49 PM

R18 invoked REM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 1, 2024 12:19 AM

A gave a random guy $500 on Twitter. He was chatting with someone else about being a college student and having a hard time paying for books and necessities.

I messaged him later and paid him via PayPal. He was shocked and grateful and ended up being an environmental engineer.

by Anonymousreply 21September 1, 2024 12:26 AM

It's a wonderful outcome for her. Apparently, the house was heavily water-damaged and the trades people who volunteered thought it wouldn't be viable to fix, despite their skills and the cash advanced for repairs.

So a trailer home company provided a new three bedroom home, at cost, even with new appliances!

The guy and Veronica are very, very God and Jesus loving, but not remotely hypocritical.

The GFM is closed and it warms my atheist heart. There are good people out there, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2024 9:29 PM

I have but I can't remember what. I don't mind making small contributions to cases of merit or true hard luck.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2024 9:35 PM

How do you search them to see what is out there?

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2024 9:36 PM

I sent Teafake's GFM $85.99 to cover next month's membership fees for ALL of his alters.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2024 9:42 PM

I was just asked by a friend that the 32 yo daughter of an acquaintance of ours has leukemia. She gave me the Go-Fund Me info to help with medical bills.

I do not do disease.

I could not ask her who her medical carrier was, if she was covered by working insurance or if she was on Obamacare. Because if she were on Obamacare, the annual max is like $6K. And if she has bad insurance and lost a job, why isn't she on Medicaid? Here is the killer, her mom was from a very wealthy family. I will not subsidize rich people.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2024 9:45 PM

R26 - the subject of this post was the exact opposite of your rich, begging friend. But, OK, thanks for your insight and inspiration crapping on a positive and hopeful thread.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2024 9:55 PM

Thank you for this exercise, OP.

Amazing Grace flows among us, fellow DLers, nourishing our hearts and karma.

"Grace is compassion, gratitude, surrender, faith, forgiveness, good manners, reverence, and the list goes on and on. When we extend ourselves to others with grace, we not only lift them up, we inspire them to be graceful. A world full of graceful people is a world full of goodness and love." Philosophy.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2024 10:09 PM

For me, one problem with GFM is that it's almost impossible to donate with total anonymity. GFM allows donors to designate themselves as anonymous on the website, but I believe the donee or page sponsor still see who you are.

Sometimes, you just want to help without revealing your identity to anyone. If anyone here knows how to make a GFM donation with 100% anonymity, please let me know, because I'd like to use that option at some point.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2024 10:10 PM

A few times. The most memorable was many years ago, before GFM was as popular as it is today. I saw an episode of “Locked Up Abroad.” This young woman set up her co-worker to be a drug smuggler. Unbeknownst to him, she invited him to accompany her to Peru and got busted smuggling drugs in her suitcase. IIRC, she had invited him because he was this innocent and unassuming guy and it would make her look like it was just she and her boyfriend traveling. Less suspicious. When she was busted, officials believed he was guilty too, because he became such a nervous wreck. He ended up in some really horrible men’s prison. People back in England were doing their best to get him free and the fund was for his legal defense. I genuinely felt bad for this guy. He was such a sheltered naive type. I didn’t donate a lot, but it was heartening to see the long list of people who had donated. I think it was about 3 years altogether before he was back home in England.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2024 10:26 PM

You made me wanna cry, r28. And I'm going to quote your quote for years.

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2024 10:31 PM

I have only donated to a Go Fund me once, It was a poster here on DL. He wasn't asking for much, something like around $250 and he was almost there when I found the post and donated enough to put him over the top plus the Go Fund Me's portion they take. I don't even remember what his situation was, I think it was for rent but honestly don't even remember. I believed his story.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2024 10:37 PM

Come to think of it, it might have been furnace repair.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2024 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!