Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movies with Plot Twists

I read recently that the most popular films with audiences are those with plot twists you don't expect -- like Gone Girl and The Sixth Sense. If they have man on man action, all the better. I came across this one from '06 and thought the performances were good, especially the main character "Tim." ("No Night Too Long" - Full movie linked)

Any other suggestions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2024 6:29 PM

I'm bored too, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1August 26, 2024 2:47 AM

The classic modern example would be "Mulholland Drive."

by Anonymousreply 2August 26, 2024 2:48 AM

[quote] No Night Too Long

That’s my song, Hussy!

by Anonymousreply 3August 26, 2024 4:13 AM

I watched The Sixth Sense today for the second time, the first being when it was released. It's quite a remarkable film. I agree with it being nominated for Best Picture and think it was much better than American Beauty that won. Bruce Wills was excellent in a restrained performance which was rare for him and the kid Haley Joe Osment was surperb.

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2024 5:39 AM

For about three days in May 1980, there was no bigger plot twist than:

[quote] "No, I am your father."

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2024 6:59 AM

On the flip side, the French film Haute Tension was fantastic until the non-sensical “twist.” I guess they felt they needed to add one as audiences expected it but it ruined an otherwise intense and scary movie

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2024 7:08 AM

I saw The Sixth Sense once, when it was first released.

It was apparent to me in the first five minutes that Bruce Willis was killed and throughout the movie - in the most stilted way possible - that no one in the film was talking to him. This was most poorly handled when he shows up for dinner in a restaurant I think and his wife doesn’t talk to him.

I thought it was the stupidest movie I’d ever seen which just capitalised on people’s lack of attention to detail. Shrewdly, I suppose. It’s success wasn’t because it was clever, it was that audiences were the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2024 7:22 AM

There is a series called "Sugar" (and starring Colin Farrell) which might whet your appetite for plot twist. I found the genre-bending reveal cheap and half-baked, but any time spent watching Farrell is never time wasted.

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2024 7:42 AM

R7 is lying. And about as much fun as a root canal.

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2024 7:42 AM

The Others.

Of course, R7 figured it out during the previews.

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2024 7:44 AM

Malice - I really did not see that coming. Good roles for Alec Baldwin, Nicole Kidman, and Bill Pullman.

by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2024 7:48 AM

The original Murder on the Orient Express. Perhaps the best reveal of any murder mystery movie I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 12September 1, 2024 12:33 PM

For my fellow horror fans, I didn't see the ending of the first Saw movie coming. That did surprise me in a WTF way.

by Anonymousreply 13September 1, 2024 12:34 PM

Guys? Try "Una Noche" (2012). There's a gay element, and the ending will break your heart.

by Anonymousreply 14September 1, 2024 12:40 PM

While I disagree with the general analysis and supercilious tone of R7, I would concede that the dinner scene was a little clumsy and was the only moment in the movie when I stopped to ask myself if maybe he was a ghost. Nonetheless, I set that aside and decided to just watch the movie and enjoy the storytelling and marvelous acting (Willis, Osment, and Collette). I felt the movie was overall well done and did subvert people's expectations.

I also enjoyed The Others, but figured it out as soon as the husband reappears out of the mist about halfway through.

One not yet mentioned, and largely forgotten, would be the 1972 thriller The Other starring the incomparable Uta Hagen and based on the fabulously gay-boy writer Thomas Tryon's novel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 1, 2024 12:41 PM

The ending of the original Planet of the Apes was one of the greatest jaw-dropping cinematic moments.

by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2024 12:44 PM

Blood Simple

House of Games (forgotten masterpiece, in my opinion)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 1, 2024 12:49 PM

The moment in the final Act of Wait Until Dark when the phone rings and we (and Audrey) know who the bad guy is was a big one, and I didn't see it coming.

by Anonymousreply 18September 1, 2024 12:49 PM

To quote the advice column I read this morning regarding disliked topics: “I can’t stand movie plots!”

by Anonymousreply 19September 1, 2024 12:50 PM

When a Stranger Calls

by Anonymousreply 20September 1, 2024 12:50 PM

A now-iconic plot twist, although it happens early in the movie, has to be the "The calls are coming from inside the house!" moment from When a Stranger Calls. I remember seeing this as a kid in the theater and the entire audience erupted at that moment. Now it's a cliche.

by Anonymousreply 21September 1, 2024 12:53 PM

Usual Suspects

by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2024 1:11 PM

R7 don’t be a jerk. The movie is awesome

by Anonymousreply 23September 1, 2024 1:28 PM

23 replies in and no “ Witness of the Prosecution”? Relinquish your eldergay cards!

by Anonymousreply 24September 1, 2024 1:32 PM

Watching 1953 Niagara right now. Plot twist ahead!

What a beautifully shot film

by Anonymousreply 25September 1, 2024 1:32 PM

The Crying Game. I never suspected. I also saw it when it was first released and the big secret hadn't gotten out yet.

by Anonymousreply 26September 1, 2024 1:59 PM

"Les Diaboliques" a 1955 French film which has had several remakes in English (which I saw first) but the original is a masterpiece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 1, 2024 3:02 PM

R10, I did not guess the ending of The Others - which I love - because it is a very well made film with an Oscar-worthy performance from Kidman. One of two that year.

by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2024 5:39 PM

The Crying Game but only to straights.

by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2024 6:17 PM

Yeah, Jaye Davidson's Adam's apple jumped out at me as if I were wearing 3-D glasses in his first scene.

by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2024 6:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!