Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's talk about Olivia Newton John's "Physical"

The biggest selling song of the 1980's.

Was it a real shock when it debuted? If I recall, it was banned from the radio in a couple of cities. These were the days before Madonna, so audiences must have been a little more unaccustomed to a mainstream song so blunt and sexual. Add to that the infamous ending of the music video.

I watched a clip of Olivia on the Merv Griffin show where the music video had its official debut. Karen Carpenter seemed to get a real kick out of the gay subtext.

She premiered her new look at the 1981 Grammys as shown on the link. Very tomboyish, and Adam Ant like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 26, 2024 3:19 AM

I was in college when "Physical" was released, and the controversy about it was overblown. There were some pockets in the flyover states where radio stations deemed the lyrics to be too suggestive, so they wouldn't play it. But for the most part, people weren't outraged by it.

I definitely didn't think it was raunchy or too hot for the airwaves. And the video didn't come out until well after the song was a hit. I actually thought the video was stupid even back then, although I did enjoy the hot guys in their Speedos.

by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2024 8:48 PM

It was crap.

by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2024 9:37 PM

To each their own R2 but I loved Olivia’s pop era which was too brief

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2024 11:52 PM

She almost always was cheerful and certainly light enough to float along on the current of developments in the business.

All with that Australian shamelessness the world seems to like, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 4August 26, 2024 12:02 AM

I would have liked to hear Tina Turner sing it.

by Anonymousreply 5August 26, 2024 12:05 AM

I think she's tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 6August 26, 2024 12:07 AM

Tina was dreaming of being able to land a major recording deal in 1981.

by Anonymousreply 7August 26, 2024 12:26 AM

I always loved Olivia and still listen to a lot of her hits. But not this one. I didn’t like it all that much when it came out, but it was inescapable. However, I’m glad that she had such a record setting hit during her career. My favorite songs of hers, post-Grease, are A Little More Love and Twist of Fate.

by Anonymousreply 8August 26, 2024 12:29 AM

It wasn’t that the song itself was controversial. It was that it was Olivia singing it. She was pushing the envelope in regards to a sexier image with each new project she did. Her then boyfriend and later husband Matt Lattanzi may have had something to do with sexy Olivia. He was very very hot.

by Anonymousreply 9August 26, 2024 12:32 AM

He was very very hot

You might say Totally Hot.

by Anonymousreply 10August 26, 2024 12:35 AM

What r8 said, mostly.

by Anonymousreply 11August 26, 2024 12:39 AM

I was crestfallen. After the lusty raunch of the disco era, it would have been much more refreshing-or so I thought-for America to get Psychological. When I was but a tot, I fetishized Olivia as my ideal babysitter. I caught nothing but grief from my peers by criticizing Olivia as an overripe tart in “Grease”. I did enjoy her subsequent output to “Physical”, though.

by Anonymousreply 12August 26, 2024 12:56 AM

R12 is a weird ass

by Anonymousreply 13August 26, 2024 1:08 AM

R7 Yes I read that Tina's career was in the toilet till 1984.

by Anonymousreply 14August 26, 2024 3:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!