Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

October surprise: A Rupert Everett revival (just in time for his new book)

Arch, elegant and deliciously devilish: Tatler's October cover hails the Rupert Everett renaissance

There’s no one who can make the term ‘darling’ as endearing (or believable) as Rupert Everett. With a flourish and a sweeping hand gesture, he slinks into the banquette table at Noble Rot in Lamb’s Conduit Street, exclaiming: ‘Darling, you’re early. I thought someone had taken our table.’ He speaks at such a rapid pace, in the type of voice that hints at being overwhelmed, riding the wave of promoting a raft of new projects. ‘I think the headline of this piece should be Rupert Everett pronouns: He, She, Bitch,’ he says, in his droll way.

For sure, there’s a palpable buzz around Rupert right now: that glow, that allure of an incandescent energy when a multitude of things are happening in someone’s life. A buzz as reverberant as that which surrounded him when he first embraced stardom, shining sensationally in Another Country (1984), the OG public schoolboy story, exquisitely melancholic and beautifully shot against a backdrop of stately porticos, courtyards and Eton-esque cricket fields. The buzz that accompanied the matinee-idol looks that seduced everyone, men and women, including Bianca Jagger, Susan Sarandon and the late Paula Yates. The accolades showered on his memoirs. The awards garlanding films like My Best Friend’s Wedding, The Happy Prince and An Ideal Husband. The feeling that now, at 65, Rupert is having another moment in the sun; that now is Rupert’s latest renaissance.

There’s the imminent release of his new book, The American No, a series of short stories of fabulous plots that never ended up being made into films. ‘The whole writing process normally overwhelms me, but as each story is so short, it’s like being in an AA meeting, just focusing on one story at a time,’ he says in a mock American drawl. As it is, his hysterical, fantastical prose is as seductive as his conversation, an electric mix of tales about Hare Krishnas in Soho, an acid trip before a friend’s mother’s memorial service where they end up following the wrong hearse, and a powerful vignette on Oscar Wilde, a subject very dear to his heart. ‘As a writer, you can tell your version of events. In a sense, I’ve always behaved like an actor when I write, thinking how I would attack this character. It’s a skill being able to paint a picture that comes off a page.’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 3, 2024 1:48 AM

He gets to bounce on this every night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 24, 2024 6:15 PM

He has pretty much lost his handsomeness thanks to a lifetime of hard living and then bad corrective plastic surgery. But he at least again looks like a human being now.

He's a very good character actor, and he is genuinely amusing as the King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor in "The Serpent Queen." He never was going to be a leading man, which he loudly blamed on his being out of the closet, but which was actually do to the fact that even when he was handsome he looked villainously so, and he used to mumble too much as an actor (Brando got away with that, but few other actors can).

by Anonymousreply 2August 24, 2024 6:22 PM

There's a little hollow at the base of his throat which make me want to pour honey all over him, and lick it off again.

by Anonymousreply 3August 24, 2024 9:39 PM

In his last book, he got the year of Paula Yates' death wrong. By two or three years, IIRC.

Has he bothered with google or a fact checker this time?

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2024 6:40 AM

"The greatest wit of our time"?

Another graduate of the Sheboygan Conservatory of Hyperbolic Clickbait Typing.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2024 6:50 AM

He looked good in the Opium for Men ad campaign. He embodied the foppish/hot slim English Gentleman look that was so popular back in 1995.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2024 7:34 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2024 9:02 AM

What an insipid piece of writing.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2024 10:09 AM

Welcome to my gracious drawing room.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2024 12:49 PM

It's hard to believe Rupert is already 39.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2024 1:00 PM

"Darling..."

Give it up.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2024 8:30 PM

Emily in Paris. How depressing…

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2024 6:07 AM

This gave me a laugh

I’m trying to wean myself off tracksuits,’ he says, self-mockingly. ‘Karl Lagerfeld once said that a man who wears tracksuits has lost the will to live.’

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2024 6:43 AM

Rupert darling I love you, as do so many, but it’s pushing it a bit to say that you gave up cosmetic surgery “years ago”. I guess that it depends on your definition of “years ago” - you certainly turned into another person ten years ago.

But it’s good to see that you seem to have settled back into the looks of your youth - just fast-forwarded forty years - still beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2024 7:05 AM

[quote] I guess that it depends on your definition of “years ago”

And on your definition of “cosmetic” and “surgery.”

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2024 8:09 PM

I NEVER found him attractive. Even when young he had this slight FRANKENSTEINIAN thing going on with his face.

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2024 8:20 PM

What a bunch of bitchy cold slapped remarks.

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2024 9:05 PM

His love for Julie Andrews runs deep. ‘When she dies, I don’t know what I’ll do… because that will be the end of my world. She is part of a cinema tradition, where the stars were actually positive, especially her films which were so fragrant and warm.

SOB is hardly fragrant and warm.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2024 1:23 AM

Is he still spilling tea and burning bridges with former celebrity friends?

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2024 1:41 AM

He was a fan of Beverly Hills, 90210 - makes me like him.

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2024 12:24 PM

Imagine how I feel, R10.

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2024 12:53 PM

It's like a whole new face, and not just because he's so old.

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2024 12:53 PM

Is that all his actual hair? If so, very impressive.

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2024 1:12 PM

The Daily Telegraph or The Times or one of the other British broadsheets published a long profile of him a few years ago. The female journalist sounded like she spent a fair amount of time in his company. At one point he tells her he's excited about the prospect of dying, given all the fascinating people who've gone before him. The entire tone of the article (icy, cynical) make it very clear that the journalist loathed him.

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2024 2:27 PM

This is the most insipid article no he comes off as ridiculously pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2024 2:31 PM

I have to laugh at him walking down the dirty street in his Dolce and Gabbana cape.

by Anonymousreply 26October 2, 2024 1:11 AM

He's still isn't much of an actor and he probably has done nothing but write tediously about himself over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 27October 2, 2024 1:15 AM

Further to R26 - also he's taking up the whole sidewalk!

by Anonymousreply 28October 2, 2024 11:23 PM

Gurl he's had more reinventions than Diana Ross changes costumes in concert!

by Anonymousreply 29October 3, 2024 12:04 AM

Rupert always was such a twat.

by Anonymousreply 30October 3, 2024 12:56 AM

Does he at least spill good gossip in his previous or upcoming book?

by Anonymousreply 31October 3, 2024 1:03 AM

R31: No. He is very coy. It's always all about him.

by Anonymousreply 32October 3, 2024 1:21 AM

Excellent character actors and I didn't even recognize him in The Serpent Queen. He also gives a fantastic performance in his Oscar Wilde movie.

by Anonymousreply 33October 3, 2024 1:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!