Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NEW YORK TIMES FIRES THE FIRST SHOT!

Keep in mind that...

Joe Kahn, Exec. Ed. @ NYT was reported "giddy" at the prospect of another Trump administration, reads polls to determine what news to cover, and has said it's not his job to save democracy. They started attacking Biden's age in February 2019. Now they are attacking Harris' joy.

Reprehensible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339September 9, 2024 11:48 PM

Whoever said joy was the campaign's "strategy"? This is the mother of all straw men, and the Times knows it. What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 1August 24, 2024 1:30 PM

[quote] Joy is not a strategy

The New York Times is not a newspaper.

by Anonymousreply 2August 24, 2024 1:32 PM

Fear as a strategy worked out just fine for Trump in 2016, why can't joy?

by Anonymousreply 3August 24, 2024 1:33 PM

NYT, give us Wordle and puzzles, you're not good for much else.

by Anonymousreply 4August 24, 2024 1:36 PM

Don't get it. Do they really think they'll make up all those lost subscriptions with deplorables?

by Anonymousreply 5August 24, 2024 1:42 PM

Just a reminder that one can keep one’s games subscription and cancel the main NYT subscription!!

by Anonymousreply 6August 24, 2024 1:43 PM

Of course not. Kahn is a crook. Crooks always create a diversion.

by Anonymousreply 7August 24, 2024 1:46 PM

Note that the OP declined to provide a link to the article which is very thoughtful. What distinguishes liberals from MAGA conservatives is the ability to be self reflective and make constructive criticism. Since Kamala secured the nomination Fox News has been singularly obsessed with vilifying her nonstop throughout the day. They do not criticize Trump (until this Thursday, when they started pushing back - see “Republican media” thread).

I pointed out to my zombie Fox watching parents that this was a bad strategy and if Fox wanted Trump to win the presidency they would start criticizing him and pointing out what he was doing wrong, otherwise he may never correct himself. No one watches Fox News all day is going to vote for Kamala Harris so there’s no need to vilify her; it’s like telling someone who already doesn’t like Brussel sprouts that Brussel sprouts are nasty.

And the reason you should WANT this criticism from the New York Times is because Kamala Harris earned the nomination without going through a primary. The primary is where all these criticisms and flaws are pointed out far ahead of time so the candidate can address them to prepare for the more bruising general. That was why Obama prevailed in 2008; not just because he had fought hard against McCain but because fighting Hillary had made him a stronger candidate.

by Anonymousreply 8August 24, 2024 1:53 PM

By Patrick Healy

Deputy Opinion Editor, reporting from Chicago

If the Republican convention’s message for America last month had to fit on a bumper sticker, it would read, “Trump is God.” Delegates deified him relentlessly as the risen Trump after the assassination attempt. They told me over and over that he was spared to save the country with his re-election. Only on the final night did Donald Trump come crashing down to earth with his nomination speech. Divine it was not.

What a mistake. The most divisive man in America was suddenly getting a measure of good will from skeptical voters after he was nearly killed. People were tuning in to see if he’d talk like a changed man. And then he threw it away with the same old rant. All Trump had going for him was President Biden’s weakness.

Flash-forward to this week. If the Democratic convention’s message for America had to fit on a bumper sticker, it would read, “Harris is joy.” The word has gone from being a nice descriptor of Democratic energy to being a rhetorical two-by-four thumped on voters’ heads. Don’t get me wrong — there are many worse things than joy — but I cringed a little in the convention hall Tuesday night when Bill Clinton said Kamala Harris would be “the president of joy.” “Joy” is the new “fetch” from “Mean Girls”: Democrats are bent on making the word happen.

But joy is not a political strategy. And God is not a political strategy. The good news for Democrats is that Harris seems to understand this. Americans want her to lower their household costs and make it easier to find housing. Being our joyful Momala is not going to win the election.

Harris gave a good speech Thursday. Her love for America was overflowing — a child of immigrants’ love, as the Democratic strategist Howard Wolfson put it to me. Republicans like to tag Democrats as down on America and its history, but it was interesting that when Harris radiated pride, it was not pride as a Black woman or pride as a glass-ceiling breaker; it was pride as an American. She was open and relatable and repeatedly put voters first. Meanwhile, Trump keeps playing God, calling in to Fox News as if entitled to airtime and making pronouncements about Harris from on high before being cut off.

This is a winnable race for Harris, but she hasn’t won it yet. Far from it. She hasn’t been tested — really tested — since Biden stepped aside. She hasn’t given a single interview or news conference to face hard questions. But it’s really the debates that will be her test. Her advisers think she might get away with doing just one against Trump. I think they underestimate her challenge in earning voters’ trust. She needs to start proving herself outside her comfort zone.

Ultimately, she needs more voters in the swing states to trust her to handle the economy better than her opponent. Barack Obama earned that trust through nearly two hard years of campaigning; he didn’t coast on “hope and change.” Harris can’t coast on “joy.” If she shows she can stand up under pressure, she can beat Trump and consign him for eternity to just playing God on Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 9August 24, 2024 1:54 PM

That quoted text is a perfectly reasonable *opinion* piece.

by Anonymousreply 10August 24, 2024 2:08 PM

Exactly. If you read the piece, it's totally resaonable. The point is she has not been tested with serious questions and it has to happen. The right is saying this and we shouldn't pretend like she doesn't have something to prove either.

by Anonymousreply 11August 24, 2024 2:13 PM

Reasonable to ask, yes, but as usual, where are the constant NYT opinion pieces and editorials demanding the same of the Republicans? Context, people.

by Anonymousreply 12August 24, 2024 2:18 PM

[quote]The point is she has not been tested with serious questions and it has to happen.

She had only 2-3 weeks to put together a national election campaign. The interviews will come. She answered the question of "when?", when she informed a reporter that her team was working on arrangements, etc. Are a few days after Labor Day a problem?

by Anonymousreply 13August 24, 2024 2:22 PM

Again someone like r12 proves there is a reason we call these people “Blue MAGA”. They do not accept responsibility for ANYTHING. It is always someone else’s fault.

by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2024 2:22 PM

Since OP apparently is unfamiliar with how newspapers work, this is an opinion piece. In this case the opinion of one of the opinion editors. They also publish opinions by conservatives some if whom work for the newspaper and some of whom do not. The readers know they are reading one writer’s opinion because there is a label. By publishing an opinion critical of Harris they are not attacking her as an institution. They are reflecting a diversity of views. Readers are free to agree or disagree.

In other words—grow up.

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2024 2:22 PM

Can we be honest? A Trump administration will generate more news which translates into more ad revenue. The news stopped being objective a long time ago. The tv stations need to generate 24/7 content. They want Trump because they can criticize him and generate sales.

by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2024 2:23 PM

The Times has excoriated Trump in its editorials. Rachel Maddow’s ratings go way up with Trump in power. That doesn’t mean she wants him to win.

by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2024 2:27 PM

They need to start trolling the media, same rapid response they’ve been giving to Trump with same snark. Not ‘enemy of the people’ nonsense, but more of that ‘whatcha got’ attitude she gave them on the runway in Michigan. And make it really fucking clear when the answer is ‘nothing’.

by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2024 2:27 PM

r16 Yeah, they've seen how boring the Biden presidency has been and are pining for those days of Trump saying outrageous bullshit 24/7 (and generating headlines) while in office.

by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2024 2:28 PM

If it's a fight Harris needs she's got one. Guaranteed Healy will criticize her strategy when the time comes and accuse her of alienating swing voters. He goes nuts when the Democrats don't stick to the center right. I hope his fear-mongering is counterbalanced with an opinion piece showing that these 'unpopular' progressive policies are actually supported by a majority of Americans:

New York Times deputy opinion editor Patrick Healy (8/20/24) described Sen. Bernie Sanders’ speech to the Democratic National Convention as an attempt to “make policy proposals that put [Kamala] Harris in a big-government vise, binding (or pushing) her in a direction that a lot of moderates do not want to go.”

Healey followed the standard New York Times line York Times line (FAIR.org, 7/26/24) that progressive candidates need to move to the right to win—and scorned Sanders for ignoring that advice: “Harris needs some of those swing-state moderates if she’s going to win the presidency, but the electoral math didn’t seem to be on Sanders’s mind.”

Strangely, though, the specific policies that Healey mentioned Sanders as promoting don’t seem to be particularly unpopular, with moderates or anyone else. Rather, opinion polls find them to be supported by broad majorities.

What we’re learning is that progressive policy proposals are deeply unpopular—with the New York Times‘ deputy opinion editor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 24, 2024 2:30 PM

The other problem with the “Joy” campaign is - and this is a troublesome one because this campaign more than any other is extremely attuned to Hollywood

You are not supposed to outright state a theme like joy (Intro to Screenwriting). You are supposed to DEMONSTRATE it. Saying what it is reduces its power.

“From the Window to the Walz” = GOOD

“Kamala will be the President of Joy” = BAD

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 24, 2024 2:31 PM

I'm tired of these regressive center op-eds.

by Anonymousreply 22August 24, 2024 2:31 PM

Then don’t read them.

Every now and then I read one of the Times conservative columnists to see if they have anything interesting to say. I almost always regret venturing in. But I don’t object to the Times’ publishing a variety of viewpoints. People who conflate “The New York Times” with conservative opinion writers are just looking to be outraged and are demonstrating that they don’t actually read newspapers.

by Anonymousreply 23August 24, 2024 2:37 PM

[quote]A Trump administration will generate more news which translates into more ad revenue.

Leslie Moonves on Donald Trump: “It May Not Be Good for America, but It’s Damn Good for CBS”

by Anonymousreply 24August 24, 2024 2:37 PM

Dear NYT:

Do not harsh our mellow

Sincerely,'

Everyone on Earth

by Anonymousreply 25August 24, 2024 2:40 PM

The opinion piece isn't especially critical. "Ultimately, she needs more voters in the swing states to trust her to handle the economy better than her opponent. " This would be great.

by Anonymousreply 26August 24, 2024 2:42 PM

[quote] But I don’t object to the Times’ publishing a variety of viewpoints.

It’s not the variety; it’s that the entire variety is the stupidest of its type. The dumbest leftists, most idiotic centrists, and conservative fools. Counter intuitive concern trolling is also not a content strategy, NYT.

by Anonymousreply 27August 24, 2024 2:42 PM

[quote] "Ultimately, she needs more voters in the swing states to trust her to handle the economy better than her opponent. "

This doesn't make any sense to me. Trump (and Republicans) ran up the national debt more than all the previous Presidents and Administrations combined. Enough jobs were not being created, etc

WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT?

by Anonymousreply 28August 24, 2024 2:47 PM

On the homepage today: "Daffy Donald, Turning Pea Green With Envy" on his envy of Harris; lead story: "Trump’s Carefully Scripted Week Kept Veering Off Script / Despite calls by his advisers to focus on the issues, former President Donald J. Trump has made it clear that he intends to keep running his campaign his way." (and we all know what that means); "Why Harris’s Barrier-Breaking Bid Feels Nothing Like Hillary Clinton’s / The first-female-president energy of 2016 has been replaced by a more serious tone, with Democrats warning gravely of the new frontiers in the post-Roe era:

Some of you have this naive fixation with the NYT. I hate them, I am not defending them, but if you want HuffPo or Daily Kos, fucking read it. The NYT, the Post any of the reasonable, normal papers are not echo chambers.

And they wrote a shitty, biased article about my company that landed on the front page ten years ago and I still haven't forgotten, so I am not defending these cunts.

by Anonymousreply 29August 24, 2024 2:50 PM

If you want to understand why we almost certainly would have lost the election with Biden

Look how someone like r28 thinks

by Anonymousreply 30August 24, 2024 2:50 PM

[quote]She had only 2-3 weeks to put together a national election campaign.

She ran for President back in 2020. She already knows how to put together a campaign.

At the very least, she needs policy on her website. It's now over a month since Biden resigned, (not counting the two weeks prior when democratic officials were persuading him to). There's no reason at this point why there shouldn't be a basic outline of her goals on that webpage. Instead of numerous "Donation" links.

People want to hear what she plans on doing. Since when is that a bad thing? A lot of democrats are struggling financially. One-upping Trump with a sarcastic retort in the media isn't going to stop their houses from foreclosing or them from losing their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 31August 24, 2024 2:56 PM

[quote]She ran for President back in 2020. She already knows how to put together a campaign.

Many things have changed since 2020, R31. It' 2024, btw. Technology, social media, etc have drastically changed.

[quote]There's no reason at this point why there shouldn't be a basic outline of her goals on that webpage. Instead of numerous "Donation" links.

I'm old enough to remember that when opponents wanted to know about this, had questions and complaints about that, etc... they were always referred to a candidate's website where EVERYTHING was there and fully answered. Somehow, these naysayers could never find the site.

NOW, that there is no site they want one...

by Anonymousreply 32August 24, 2024 3:08 PM

What they're talking about is every Republican thinks gas prices were lower, food prices were lower, etc etc under Trump. Even if you dispute that we'd have to retake the narrative!

by Anonymousreply 33August 24, 2024 3:09 PM

"People want to hear what she plans on doing."

Again, with the double standard and both sides bullshit, R31. Trump spends an hour and a half rambling on about Hannibal Lecter and no one bats an eye. Kamala spent over an hour on Thursday night detailing what she was planning to do. Or were you busy licking Trump's rancid, shit encrusted asshole to notice?

by Anonymousreply 34August 24, 2024 3:10 PM

On the other hand, NYT Wirecutter told me today which the best toe gripping yoga mat is. And that article was far more useful than this clickbait.

by Anonymousreply 35August 24, 2024 3:13 PM

I've been wasting enough time on TikTok to see some republican arguments for Trump coming in some fairly standard containers. Some of them very much think he's chosen by God and was saved from death. Others might know he's a dick but are defaulting to a "the economy was better" argument.

by Anonymousreply 36August 24, 2024 3:13 PM

There will be plenty of criticism if Kamala Harris becomes president. She's a woman in power, and they're always criticized no matter what they do. Hell, they've already criticized her in a way that they never did with any other vp. Another Trump presidency won't generate the same drama as the first. People weren't used to a leader like Trump before. Everything he did was a spectacle. After ten years, the public is used to his buffoonery and it doesn't resonate anymore. Plus, there was the fear, nervousness or excitement of him being re-elected, and that will be gone if he becomes president again. People will lose interest in him quickly.

by Anonymousreply 37August 24, 2024 3:14 PM

The New York Times new headquarters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 24, 2024 3:14 PM

R34, we certainly know where Dump stands, he doesn’t have to talk about it (although he’d be more successful if he did). It’s Project 2025. And he can deny it all he wants, but nobody believes him.

Does anyone not know where the Dems stand? I think we all know. It’s more important that Kamala talks about it (which she did in her acceptance speech) than print it on a website. Maybe they could put up a one-page policy statement, but there is no need for in-depth shit like they did in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 39August 24, 2024 3:41 PM

R34, what I wrote may have seemed like a counter to your post, I just realized I wasn’t clear, apologies. I totally agree with what you wrote.

by Anonymousreply 40August 24, 2024 3:43 PM

Fuck him that’s why I canceled my subscription. They also help start the Iraq war.

by Anonymousreply 41August 24, 2024 4:25 PM

[R6] how do you keep games without subscribing to the rest? I miss spelling bee but had to dump NYT.

by Anonymousreply 42August 24, 2024 4:27 PM

I downsized to the Games-only subscription during Trump's presidency. Now I've cancelled even that. I am washing my hands of this rag, totally. I just don't resonate with the NYT at all anymore.

by Anonymousreply 43August 24, 2024 4:29 PM

I am tired of them using the word 'joy' they should start thanking Kamala for bringing something more appropriate back, like the beat or the groove.

by Anonymousreply 44August 24, 2024 4:32 PM

Joy was fun for like a week. Adopting it as branding is deeply cynical. It’s like Live Laugh Love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 24, 2024 4:38 PM

Many of us have been grappling with low (or high) level depression since Trump's ascendancy. We have been needing to hear words like "joy" and "hope," to reabsorb those concepts back into our brains and our cells, for a long time. It's been the exact perfect medicinal antidote to all the evangelical insanity and Trump's apocalyptic "the sky is falling" rhetoric.

There is spiritual alchemy in words.

So FUCK YOU, NYT for your stupid, petty pedantic parsing and faux-unbiased analytics.

by Anonymousreply 46August 24, 2024 4:38 PM

Joy when people are concerned about economic and social issues won't cut it. She needs to get serious fast.

by Anonymousreply 47August 24, 2024 4:41 PM

False dichotomy, R47.

by Anonymousreply 48August 24, 2024 4:43 PM

R47 is one of our resident "Fear, uncertainty, doubt" trolls.

by Anonymousreply 49August 24, 2024 4:45 PM

R47, you totally missed the point. We are sick and tired of Dump claiming America sucks and only he can fix it. That’s what joy is about. We know we have problems, but we are not going to wallow and listen to Dump tell (more than) half of us we’re communists, criminals and deviants.

by Anonymousreply 50August 24, 2024 4:59 PM

[quote] So FUCK YOU, NYT for your stupid, petty pedantic parsing and faux-unbiased analytics.

It’s just one person’s column.

by Anonymousreply 51August 24, 2024 4:59 PM

[quote]Maybe they could put up a one-page policy statement

Which is exactly what I said in my post at R31. And yet R39 you're agreeing with a poster who's trying to erroneously slander me as a Trumper for suggesting the SAME thing?

Some of you are so fucking strange.

[quote]Does anyone not know where the Dems stand?

"The Dems" are not a blanket party. What cave were in you in the last four years when Manchin was blocking Biden's ideas? We have had democrats like Henry Cuellar, Joe Manchin and Elizabeth Warren, all of whom vary on issues from abortion to healthcare.

If the Dems stood universally on key issues, we would have gotten so much more accomplished with our Democratic majority that we did have under Biden's administration at one point!

Amazing isn't it?

Kamala has great ideas, it's time to hear how to get them done. Getting upset over that is just, WEIRD.

by Anonymousreply 52August 24, 2024 5:01 PM

[Quote]And the reason you should WANT this criticism from the New York Times is because Kamala Harris earned the nomination without going through a primary.

Primaries should be done away with. They do nothing but encourage extremism.

by Anonymousreply 53August 24, 2024 5:08 PM

[quote] Primaries should be done away with. They do nothing but encourage extremism.

You think Clinton, Gore, Kerry, Obama, Clinton and Biden are extremists?

by Anonymousreply 54August 24, 2024 5:11 PM

Complaining about a lack of primaries is an empty point. A party that challenges an incumbent in the primary goes on to lose the general. As long as Joe was running, no one (certainly not Harris) was going to challenge him. Once he demonstrated that he was not up to the challenge, he was forced out. Extraordinary circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 55August 24, 2024 5:15 PM

It's not necessarily about who wins the nomination. It's about who candidates have to pander to. It has destroyed our political culture.

Trump is an extremist and so is anyone who would run in his place. And while none of those Dems are extremist, the party has lurched further left every election cycle.

by Anonymousreply 56August 24, 2024 5:17 PM

[quote]Does anyone not know where the Dems stand?

For those who do not know, here ya go...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 24, 2024 5:18 PM

Has Ezra Klein entered the thread?

by Anonymousreply 58August 24, 2024 5:24 PM

Depression from Trump? You gals are nuts. I'm guessing you weren't Stable Mable to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 59August 24, 2024 5:35 PM

Any real Strategist knows if you dont examine your weak points along side your strong ones ,you are setting yourself up for defeat. Debating an issue shows flaws which then can be corrected, a seemingly unknown quality amoungst alot of posters. And That is a Major error .

by Anonymousreply 60August 24, 2024 5:41 PM

Ok fine let’s be miserable and divided like The NY Times wants.

by Anonymousreply 61August 24, 2024 5:43 PM

Is Trump OK? Unhinged reaction to rise of Harris worries supporters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 24, 2024 6:05 PM

R59 = Empty vacuous soulless dipshit who doesn't understand how soaking in division and negativity ("the sky is falling"/"election was stolen"/ Project 2025/Roe V Wade repeal/"just drink bleach, it'll go away by April/"Trump was sent/protected by God!!!"/name-calling/immaturity/global embarrassment/"Putin and Kim Jong Un are my special friends!"/January 6th Insurrection/insert any other relentless MAGA bullshit) for the past nine years might make a sensitive, caring, intelligent person's heart and head hurt.

R59, You probably anesthetize yourself with either mindless chemsex, food, booze or process addictions. You are too degenerate to elevate yourself up to the level of even giving a shit about anything other than where your next fleeting pleasure might come. Are you a day-trader? Do you lift? What kind of car do you drive? How big is your cock? You're a regular gay John Wayne, aren't ya?

by Anonymousreply 63August 24, 2024 6:20 PM

I don't have a dog in this fight but from an entertainment perspective, R63 lost the stability accusation war on a tit for tat basis.

Jesus, some of you need to go out for a walk.

by Anonymousreply 64August 24, 2024 6:24 PM

Because mouth breathing MAGAts are such paragons of reason and stability, right R64?

by Anonymousreply 65August 24, 2024 6:33 PM

Now, the second shot is fired.

"On Thursday night, it was up to Kamala Harris to make the closing argument for why Democrats deserved another four years in the White House. In her headlining speech of the Democratic National Convention, which had been as festive, and at times as frivolous, as a giant block party, Ms. Harris spoke of standing up to global tyranny, and of lessons she learned from her single mother. She blasted the former President Donald J. Trump as an “unserious man” and spoke of the “awesome responsibility” that comes with the privilege of being an American.

It all left Democrats on the convention floor feeling euphoric and focused, confident that her speech would spur the Democratic base to turn out in November.

But outside the arena, and outside the bubble of ride-or-die Democratic voters, some voters, particularly Republicans, said they did not even bother to watch the speech. And among some still on the fence — those who could make a difference in a tight contest — Ms. Harris’s words did not make immediate converts. They said they needed more specifics.

Bob and Sharon Reed watched Ms. Harris’s speech on their farm in the hills of central Pennsylvania. Both of them voted for Mr. Trump in past elections and both of them liked some of his policies, if not his personality. They came away from Ms. Harris’s speech feeling a little conflicted.

The problem? They liked it.

“I really wasn’t happy with the Biden administration,” said Ms. Reed, who like her husband is 77 and a retired schoolteacher. “But listening to her tonight, maybe it’s not as hard to vote for her. And, you know, I’m a little scared of what Trump will do when he gets back in power.”

Ms. Reed appreciated how Ms. Harris drew several specific contrasts between what she would do as president versus what Mr. Trump would do.

Mr. Reed, who had been leaning toward Mr. Trump, found Ms. Harris’s optimism and can-do attitude appealing. “This sounded presidential,” he said.

It had all left them as undecided as ever, and hoping the debates might help them make up their minds."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 24, 2024 6:33 PM

Because they're not, R65, so why do you choose to act like them?

by Anonymousreply 67August 24, 2024 6:34 PM

The two fist dance should be called Trumping, but how can we make him feel diminished over it?

by Anonymousreply 68August 24, 2024 6:52 PM

The New York Times does not exist to tell Democrats only what they want to hear.

You are confusing conservative attacks on the NYT as a “liberal” newspaper (which was intended to discredit its reporting that they did not like) with reality.

If you want a partisan filter, try The Nation or the New Republic.

by Anonymousreply 69August 24, 2024 7:01 PM

NYT is not a liberal or a conservative newspaper, merely a highly irresponsible one.

by Anonymousreply 70August 24, 2024 7:02 PM

Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 71August 24, 2024 7:04 PM

It always saddens me to see intelligent people prove themselves otherwise. It's frustrating too. Nothing to say here, really.

by Anonymousreply 72August 24, 2024 7:05 PM

[quote]some voters, particularly Republicans, said they did not even bother to watch the speech.

LIES!

These Republicans know the tempo of every media Democrats heartbeat and when they fart! They profess the same type of nonsense about the ladies of "The View" but just let anyone speak something that they don't like and like locust they are on Twitter and talking about it on every single conservative trash (which all of them are) outlet.

by Anonymousreply 73August 24, 2024 7:08 PM

[quote] some voters, particularly Republicans, said they did not even bother to watch the speech.

Yeah, right. They live on social media, constantly pushing stupid memes. You know that if there was someone gender ambiguous with blue hair in the audience, within minutes that would be on right wing social media.

by Anonymousreply 74August 24, 2024 7:12 PM

R5 They do actually. Even though all deplorables think of the NYT as a left wing rag and 80% of deplorables do not read. I hate when they release articles like this.

by Anonymousreply 75August 24, 2024 7:18 PM

It's not even what way the newspaper leans, a respectable paper should be above that. All they need to do is report objective facts and not be driven by "vibes" and polls, which, as we have seen, could be biased and unreliable. And they need to do serious fact checking, which they are not doing right now. The problem for them is that one party has become radicalized and cult-like and the truth and the facts tend to favour the other one. However, they'd like to pretend that that's not the case.

by Anonymousreply 76August 24, 2024 7:34 PM

R76 this is an op-ed.

by Anonymousreply 77August 24, 2024 7:37 PM

Lol MURRRRRIIIEEELLLLL shut this one down

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 24, 2024 7:53 PM

Let’s be the Delusions of the Democratic Party

I’m the thinking that we can “Yassss Kween!” an unpopular, unhinged Xanax addict, who is a corporate neocon cosplaying as a black sistah, into the White House by clacking circuit fans and posting quirky TikToks in support. Yeah, that’s the ticket!

—Willie Brown jerking off in a Coconut Tree

by Anonymousreply 79August 24, 2024 7:54 PM

I'm not saying that it's necessarily about that particular op-ed, R77, just general frustration.

by Anonymousreply 80August 24, 2024 8:01 PM

Fuck the god damned NYT, Block their nasty asses

by Anonymousreply 81August 24, 2024 8:06 PM

"Bob and Sharon Reed watched Ms. Harris’s speech on their farm in the hills of central Pennsylvania. Both of them voted for Mr. Trump in past elections and both of them liked some of his policies, if not his personality. They came away from Ms. Harris’s speech feeling a little conflicted.

The problem? They liked it.

“I really wasn’t happy with the Biden administration,” said Ms. Reed, who like her husband is 77 and a retired schoolteacher. "

Bob and Sharon Reed are the perfect example of idiots who vote against their own best interests.

Trump and the Republicans despise teacher unions in general, the NEA in particular. Trump and Republicans like Ron DeSantis would like nothing better than to disband all teacher unions and arrest all of their leaders and put them in "protective custody," all the while dismantling teacher and other public employee pension plans. And let's not forget there is a whole chapter of "Project 2025" devoted to dismantling the Department of Education.

So Bob and Sharon, when your pensions have been taken away from you as well as your Medicare, you must want to reconsider that vote for Trump.

With idiots like these two for teachers, it is any wonder kids today are under achieving in school.

And leave it to the NYT to search high and low for two such morons to prove their lame point, just like going out to some diner in Bumfucke, Ohio to get the "true pulse of the nation" by interviewing a bunch of methed out local yahoos.

by Anonymousreply 82August 24, 2024 8:09 PM

I'm sure some posters would love this to be true instead of a joke:

Stating that “our viewers have spoken,” MSNBC announced on Friday that it was scrapping all its evening programming and would henceforth only show reruns of the 2024 Democratic National Convention.

by Anonymousreply 83August 24, 2024 8:10 PM

Nurse, you can double check everybody got their meds? (Not you, R83)

by Anonymousreply 84August 24, 2024 8:11 PM

NY Times: "We wanted to get a critical take on Harris/Wanz economic policies. That's why we interviewed these three meth lab runners in central Kentucky."

by Anonymousreply 85August 24, 2024 8:16 PM

I think if the mainstream media is banking on increased viewership and readership from another round of Trump, they are sadly mistaken. People hoping to maintain their sanity will tune out the news in droves. Nobody who isn't MAGA is capable of being steeped in his bullshit for another four years. I think many will just keep their heads down and immerse themselves in their personal lives in an attempt at self preservation. That is my plan anyway if the WORST should come to pass.

by Anonymousreply 86August 24, 2024 8:17 PM

^^Walz

by Anonymousreply 87August 24, 2024 8:18 PM

The Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News are now non-profits owned by a private foundation. They are not beholden to any stockholders or hedge fund managers who want the papers to do nothing but give Trump and Republicans verbal blow jobs a la Faux News. They have no fucks to give and have not been hesitant to hold Trump accountable for all of his lies and misdeeds.

The fucking NYT ought to be looking into this and put that god damned rag out of its misery.

by Anonymousreply 88August 24, 2024 8:30 PM

R83 and R84: the latest edition of the NYT is about to hit the streets. Time to go to work and hawk and sell those newspapers on street corners STAT. What are they paying now in commission, about a nickel a copy?

People need to line their bird cages and cat litters with it.

by Anonymousreply 89August 24, 2024 8:36 PM

They are non-profit because they failed as a business.

by Anonymousreply 90August 24, 2024 8:36 PM

NYT is one of very few profitable news outlets in America, mostly due to the fact that they adapted successfully to the digital age, whereas papers like WaPo didn't. So, as long as they are making money, fuck social responsibility.

One of the biggest contributors to the degradation of democratic values in America has been the demise of regional/local news. If more people knew what was happening in their communities under Trump instead of fighting online culture wars, the less likely they would be to vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 91August 24, 2024 8:36 PM

Teafcake has a new puppet.

by Anonymousreply 92August 24, 2024 8:38 PM

Fuck the Times

by Anonymousreply 93August 24, 2024 8:41 PM

"They are non-profit because they failed as a business."

You mean like Donald Trump and his AC three casinos, which were non-profits and failed as businesses? The failed businesses where the Borgata Casino beat Trump at his own game and then watched him slither out of town like the cockroach that he is?

by Anonymousreply 94August 24, 2024 9:01 PM

[quote]I'm sure some posters would love this to be true instead of a joke: Stating that “our viewers have spoken,” MSNBC announced on Friday that it was scrapping all its evening programming and would henceforth only show reruns of the 2024 Democratic National Convention.

Agreed.

That NYTimes opinon piece is perfectly reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 95August 24, 2024 9:07 PM

The attendance at Trump's rallies recently suggests that R86 has a point.

by Anonymousreply 96August 24, 2024 9:16 PM

Sorry NYT. Having a DNC platform that pushes for optimism rather than pessimism is a good thing. It is not a strategy, it's is a tone.

This is why I as a subscriber for over 30 years unsubscribed a few years ago, so may of their op-eds and articles are seeped in bad faith and use gaslighting tactics.

by Anonymousreply 97August 24, 2024 9:18 PM

[quote]The point is she has not been tested with serious questions and it has to happen.

It seems like every single time she's been asked a question, she's been asked to respond to some nonsense that Trump has said. If someone wants her to sit down for a legitimate interview, I'm sure she'll do it. If the press wants to be taken seriously, it must act like a functioning, legitimate press, not TMZ. That means holding both candidates to the same standards. They didn't do it when it was Trump v. Clinton or Trump v. Biden, and sadly, they are following the same pattern with Trump v. Harris.

by Anonymousreply 98August 24, 2024 9:18 PM

[quote]It seems like every single time she's been asked a question, she's been asked to respond to some nonsense that Trump has said.

From who? Name them.

by Anonymousreply 99August 24, 2024 9:28 PM

Guys and gals….i have had cancelling my subscription on my “to-do” for months now, just too busy. But this thread lit a fire under my ass!!!!! I made sure to send a message that said, “FUCK YOU” and much more. I copied emails, I plan to send them nasty messages too. I made it clear that Chicago fucking hates them because they suck ass.

If you still have a subscription, I have a helpful suggestion….maybe include a link to this thread? I didn’t think to do that, but this thread with a big fat FUCK YOU will be better than sex. Or at least equal.

by Anonymousreply 100August 24, 2024 10:01 PM

Blow your wad—be ignorant—enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 101August 24, 2024 10:02 PM

Banksy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 24, 2024 10:08 PM

Joy was the response to Dump constantly criticizing Kamala for laughing, or more infuriating to him, being happy. She’s been a candidate for five weeks, meeting the public AND doing her job as our Vice President. She’ll do a sit down whenever she is ready. I can’t wait for the debate(s)!

by Anonymousreply 103August 24, 2024 10:27 PM

Trump is a sociopath who has point-blank said he will create a dictatorship if re-elected. We all already know the only policy we need to know - democracy is safe if Harris is elected. Just about any one of us would make a better president than him. These news outlets treating this election like a typical horse race are as sociopathic as Trump. We should be dragging these assholes out in the street.

by Anonymousreply 104August 24, 2024 10:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 24, 2024 11:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 25, 2024 12:22 AM

R100, do you really imagine the NYT would come here, ready this, and be persuaded? You might want your cunty swabbed for syphilis. Or your brain.

Of all the whoppers on this thread, that one wins.

by Anonymousreply 107August 25, 2024 12:54 AM

It 100 has much competition!

by Anonymousreply 108August 25, 2024 12:57 AM

Behind the scenes: How the convention was re-set for Harris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 25, 2024 1:33 AM

It's a bad sign when you have lifelong readers unsubscribing. Or, perhaps that was the intention? To actually have it implode from within, a self-sabotage if you will.

by Anonymousreply 110August 25, 2024 1:34 AM

It’s bad for the “readers” —who don’t read

by Anonymousreply 111August 25, 2024 1:36 AM

Olbermann is going to be apoplectic in his podcast and suggest burning the building down -- preferably with a few people in it.

by Anonymousreply 112August 25, 2024 1:42 AM

I'm gonna try making the chicken katsu recipe from NYT tomorrow for dinner. I'll let you know how that turns out. It's not like I'd read their politics section. It's a lifestyle magazine these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 25, 2024 1:46 AM

That katsu is cat shit! I’m canceling my NYTRECIPE subscription. Now!

by Anonymousreply 114August 25, 2024 2:40 AM

national political correspondent for @Axios @CNN

contributor. writing a book on Biden.

alex.thompson@axios. com

[quote] This is why we're not demanding Kamala sit down with the press. You guys have lost your damn minds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 25, 2024 2:45 AM

The most aggressive housing plan since WWII. But yeah, she has no strategy or policy. 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 25, 2024 2:56 AM

The fact that someone who passes himself off as a serious journalist retweets something from Free Beacon is telling enough. And those are the people who will approach the Harris campaign in good faith??

by Anonymousreply 117August 25, 2024 2:59 AM

You guys do know the difference between an OPINION piece and an EDITORIAL, right?

by Anonymousreply 118August 25, 2024 3:01 AM

I certainly know that your employer is no longer the only game in town or a political kingmaker.

by Anonymousreply 119August 25, 2024 3:06 AM

Does a binary system require strategy? I am against Trump, philosophically, ethically & politically. Harris is therefore, my only choice. That I agree with her is secondary. The NYT is right. Joy isn’t a strategy. Neither was hope. They are one word branding announcements.

by Anonymousreply 120August 25, 2024 3:06 AM

Legacy media is ridiculous now

by Anonymousreply 121August 25, 2024 3:07 AM

SHITS FIRED!

by Anonymousreply 122August 25, 2024 3:08 AM

Didn't you guys at NYT keep talking about "vibes"? Like "vibecession"? But now that even those vibes are not favoring your dictator of choice, you change your tune? Pray tell, what is Trump running on? Besides doom, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 123August 25, 2024 3:09 AM

^ 🙊🙉🙈

by Anonymousreply 124August 25, 2024 3:20 AM

^ for R119

by Anonymousreply 125August 25, 2024 3:22 AM

R123 = Needle and the Damage Done

by Anonymousreply 126August 25, 2024 3:23 AM

••Her advisers think she might get away with doing just one against Trump. I think they underestimate her challenge in earning voters’ trust. She needs to start proving herself outside her comfort zone.

Ultimately, she needs more voters in the swing states to trust her to handle the economy better than her opponent. Barack Obama earned that trust through nearly two hard years of campaigning; he didn’t coast on “hope and change.” Harris can’t coast on “joy.” If she shows she can stand up under pressure, she can beat Trump and consign him for eternity to just playing God on Fox News.”••

by Anonymousreply 127August 25, 2024 3:34 AM

John Harwood @JohnJHarwood

Trump, the oldest presidential nominee in history, rants nonsensically and nurtures bizarre obsessions.

Democrats want the press to subject him to the same fitness feeding frenzy that knocked Biden out

but it's not happening because a) journalists know GOP voters don't care and b) Trump's aberrant behavior is so pervasive as to blur focus on any one aspect

by Anonymousreply 128August 25, 2024 3:36 AM

It's cute that you think that the election in 2024 is just like ones in 2008 or 2012. What rock have you been living under for the past 8 years?

by Anonymousreply 129August 25, 2024 3:37 AM

R118 They don’t even know the difference between plans and policy.

by Anonymousreply 130August 25, 2024 3:42 AM

No, we are all stupid, R130. We'll wait for Bret Stephens to explain it to us.

by Anonymousreply 131August 25, 2024 3:44 AM

[quote]Ultimately, she needs more voters in the swing states to trust her to handle the economy better than her opponent. Barack Obama earned that trust through nearly two hard years of campaigning; he didn’t coast on “hope and change.” Harris can’t coast on “joy.” If she shows she can stand up under pressure, she can beat Trump and consign him for eternity to just playing God on Fox News.”••

What are these hoops that you are trying to force her to jump through? The woman was a successful attorney, a successful Attorney General, a successful Senator, and currently a successful Vice President and presidential candidate! When is enough, enough? Especially when one considers her opponent.

And, now you like the Black guy? And, you want to compare her against him? What is this really about?

IMHO, VP Harris needs more forceful and aggressive surrogates like Secretary Buttigieg out on the airwaves on her behalf.

by Anonymousreply 132August 25, 2024 3:48 AM

[quote] NYT, give us Wordle

The NYT did not come up with Wordle. They bought it off of a guy (and I thought he should've sold it to them for much, MUCH more $$$$).

by Anonymousreply 133August 25, 2024 3:52 AM

Here's the interview with the nepo baby in charge of NYT. What becomes clear is that they're in the business of creating controversy with their content. Fact based articles do not generate as many clicks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 25, 2024 3:53 AM

I think it's time for the Washington Post to steal away Wordle, Crossword, Connections, etc. Maybe it's time for someone to whack the Grey Lady.

by Anonymousreply 135August 25, 2024 3:55 AM

No R132

You all didn’t want Buttigieg to be VP because he’s gay, but now he’s good enough to do the heavy lifting?

What’s in it for him? Is he gonna get a prime spot in her administration?

Gay men can do more than clean up straight peoples messes.

by Anonymousreply 136August 25, 2024 3:55 AM

If no second Trump administration, what would Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Swan do all day for the Times?

by Anonymousreply 137August 25, 2024 3:56 AM

That's why they are doing so well financially. They strategically bought the right things: Wordle, the Wirecutter, the Athletic, etc.

by Anonymousreply 138August 25, 2024 3:57 AM

The NYT made a killer deal with Wordle. Bought it in the low 7 figures! The creator is a bonehead to have sold it to them for so little!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 25, 2024 4:00 AM

[quote]The most aggressive housing plan since WWII.

It's mostly bullshit.

This is exactly why we need to hear her asked some tough questions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 25, 2024 4:03 AM

Has any "journalist" asked Trump about his position and solutions about...

-The crushing medical debt crippling many citizens?

-What's his plan to address the lack of housing?

-What's his position on Student Loan Debt?

-He wants tax cuts but how is he paying for it? And "We're going to have amazing growth" is NOT an acceptable answer without more specificities.

Those of you who want (demand) that VP Harris give more details about her proposals, what are the Trump's details about the above issues and why are you not wanting (demanding) that he provide more specific details?

by Anonymousreply 141August 25, 2024 4:09 AM

R140 does his trolling subtly. In terms of constantly posting about how Kamala "needs to be asked questions." For a troll, you're not that bad. You deserve a potato fit for human consumption.

by Anonymousreply 142August 25, 2024 4:11 AM

R141 Did it ever occur to you that two things can be true at once?

They both need to be asked tough questions about their plans.

by Anonymousreply 143August 25, 2024 4:13 AM

R142 = idiot.

by Anonymousreply 144August 25, 2024 4:14 AM

Mmph! I just found this

[quote]As with Hillary Clinton in 2016, the veiled misogyny of the NYT and other establishment news outlets is rearing its sexist head. The woman candidate is always cast as having to prove herself to some amorphous “them” — despite an admirably extensive list of achievements— whereas such tests of merit are never raised in regard to Trump whose one talent is being born into wealth and then “failing up.” Despite his proven track record of criminality, incompetence, incoherence, mendacity, and that little insurrection thing, Trump is portrayed as the candidate for whom the voters seem to have no questions and for whom a lack of policy, which is again acknowledged by Healy, does not seem to be a significant concern to “the voters”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 25, 2024 4:31 AM

R141, I wouldn’t even play their game. Show me the fucking rule book that says she must offer herself up to the very media who on to slit her throat on the sacrificial altar. Fuck them!

She needs to not cave to that pressure. YES, Americans deserve to know her vision. So listen to her speeches, go to her site, study what the Biden admin did, and then you’ll see the debate too. She agreed to two, but I am hoping she only does one.

The media *cannot* be trusted to do their job right now, so she is being wise in showing restraint. I promise you, it’s a bait and switch anyway, they will pressure her into it, she will pound out an agreement on an interview, and the journalist who does it will violate the agreement and massacre her for the sake of profit.

The media (mostly) don’t want Trump, but they have groceries to buy and rent to pay too. And then there is a chunk of the media who are actually just cut-outs for the billionaire class. Fuck NO on interviews for as long as possible, she isn’t their bitch who must jump. They can pout all they want, nope!

The focus needs to remain on Trump. Whoever the media stays focused on will lose. And I do agree with the previous poster who said that she needs a lot more attack dogs like Pete. I say keep Shapiro, Newsom, Beshear, Cooper, Brown, Moore, maybe Hakeem etc., on the attack for her. I know this sounds sexist, but it needs to be mostly men at the moment as attack dogs, and we need more black males speaking up too. It’s just a primate thing, but it must be more men. The media don’t give Dems fair coverage, so we have to blanket the attacks through men so that’s all they see on the other side.

They are failing to understand that our side is prepared for another civil war too, that our side is armed too, and we are in control of the military and government — we need men to act as her surrogate /attack dogs, just my two cents. And they need to keep the mockery levels high af.

by Anonymousreply 146August 25, 2024 4:35 AM

[quote]Didn't you guys at NYT keep talking about "vibes"? Like "vibecession"?

I remember a couple of months ago, there was a poll done and people were saying they'll vote for Trump because they felt like a recession would happen by the end of the year. No data to back it up, they created some future fantasy in order to justify voting for him. Voting on a vibe that's has nothing to do with our reality.

by Anonymousreply 147August 25, 2024 4:35 AM

[quote]and then you’ll see the debate too

And this is beginning to piss me off too. DEBATE! DEBATE! DEBATE!!!

Since when has so much storage been placed in the debates? I thought no one watches them. Once again (IMHO) this is nothing more than the "entertainment" and horse race attitudes taking precedence over substantive discussion of the issues.

by Anonymousreply 148August 25, 2024 4:44 AM

[quote]So listen to her speeches, go to her site.

Go to her website and tell us what you see.

by Anonymousreply 149August 25, 2024 4:47 AM

[quote] This doesn't make any sense to me. Trump (and Republicans) ran up the national debt more than all the previous Presidents and Administrations combined. Enough jobs were not being created, etc WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT?

R28 made me stop and think. What I think is... we have a multicultural country that has a lot of mistrust, hatred, even disgust, towards minority groups. I think it is THE core belief and the driver of the typical Republican (not counting the rich who just want low taxes and no regulations and don't care about ANYthing else.)

So... the average not-wealthy Republican just hates that Democrats are the party of entitlements, which in their mind, go to the people they hate (or fear or distrust, whatever) in WAY too high a proportion. They would rather their own children go without health insurance, food stamps if they need them, or any other entitlement, because their focus is on the "lazy, criminal, no-account 'other'" (adjectives vary but they're many and all negative.) It's tribal.

And what else is tribal is religion - and the "real believers" who think abortion is murder because of the Ten Commandments... it's just one more toxic vial to pour in the cauldron of what makes these people tick.

It will NEVER matter what the facts are. They have their alternative facts - Democrats will give too much to the undeserving other, and any dollar they give away comes from taxes that they, the "good" tribe, have to pay.

I hope I'm wrong - or things are changing - but I see these people every day and I hear their angry screeds.

by Anonymousreply 150August 25, 2024 4:51 AM

R150, without going into my life story, you are indeed correct. Ultimately, this is about racism and misogyny, but coming in right behind those is religion. Dems won’t say that because it isn’t helpful. But it IS the truth. Not all Christians are freaks, but all the freaks are Evangelical Fundamentalists and/or Conservative Catholics. Religion is a huge problem. I don’t know the solutions, but the Rethugs are desperate because churches are dying as this is all happening. Too bad so sad.

by Anonymousreply 151August 25, 2024 5:05 AM

Just shut up and vote. Jesus Christ…

by Anonymousreply 152August 25, 2024 5:08 AM

I think the issue is the double standard. Trump can get away with saying whatever he wants (remember he promised during the 2016 campaign that he would replace Obamacare with "something better" but would never give any details) whereas Kamala is expected to give detailed policy and explain it, then be scolded by various interest groups who don't approve. Trump has flip-flopped many times on issues like abortion with little consequence but Kamala is being told she needs to "explain herself" by media commentators for changing her position on fracking.

If Trump ran a positive, "joy" focused campaign the media would be tripping over themselves to say how much he had grown since the shooting, how he has a positive vision for the US. Yet Kamala gets portrayed as being cringe and not having a strategy.

by Anonymousreply 153August 25, 2024 5:49 AM

Should I remind you of the glowing write ups the RNC convention got, how unified the party seemed to be, etc, etc? I don't recall much dissection of the policies presented there. Or in the days that followed.

by Anonymousreply 154August 25, 2024 5:53 AM

Am I supposed to take this seriously?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155August 25, 2024 6:04 AM

[quote] remember he promised during the 2016 campaign that he would replace Obamacare with "something better" but would never give any details

Not just in 2016, but ever since, too!

by Anonymousreply 156August 25, 2024 11:14 AM

So many Trump Derangement Syndrome victims here. It’ll be so great when Trump leaves the scene and people can start thinking again. Although some loss of critical and independent thought may be gone for good.

by Anonymousreply 157August 25, 2024 11:21 AM

Go troll somewhere else, R157.

by Anonymousreply 158August 25, 2024 11:24 AM

R157, fuck off, you know as well as I that the turd isn’t going anywhere, he’s a grifter, he’ll never stop grifting

by Anonymousreply 159August 25, 2024 11:35 AM

Rich 🤑 people shouldn’t be allowed to run newspapers

by Anonymousreply 160August 25, 2024 11:59 AM

Read between the lines 😱 : TAX BREAKS TAX BREAKS TAX BREAKS TAX BREAKS TAX BREAKS TAX BREAKS TAX BREAKS WHOEVER WILL DELIVER THE RICHEST PROPLE MORE TAX BREAKS

by Anonymousreply 161August 25, 2024 12:08 PM

PEOPLE*

by Anonymousreply 162August 25, 2024 12:15 PM

KH should come out to this Mary classic during her next rally. Just to spite the NYT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163August 25, 2024 12:20 PM

R153 Thank you. You literally took the words from me.

by Anonymousreply 164August 25, 2024 12:21 PM

What politics does to DL is tragic.

by Anonymousreply 165August 25, 2024 12:41 PM

Of the four of you who'd know, are there any sites to rationally discuss the Democratic campaign?

by Anonymousreply 166August 25, 2024 12:42 PM

Oh, somebody, anybody, PLEASE give r166 what he is asking for so these motherfuckers can get lost already.

by Anonymousreply 167August 25, 2024 12:52 PM

Something tells me The Daily Wire would be to R166's liking.

by Anonymousreply 168August 25, 2024 12:58 PM

Thanks, R167.

by Anonymousreply 169August 25, 2024 12:59 PM

I just put 18 posters on this thread on block, because the lack any intellectual substance at all. The rant, they whine, they dwell in the unbalanced and the batshit crazy, but they are the one most awful thing: boring.

by Anonymousreply 170August 25, 2024 1:00 PM

Sorry, irritating too.

And yes, there are typos above. You're not worth proofreading over.

I'm out. There's nothing here.

by Anonymousreply 171August 25, 2024 1:02 PM

[quote]It will NEVER matter what the facts are. They have their alternative facts

Do you mean lies?

One thing that can be done to begin to help fix this problem is to stop using their terminology. There are no such things as alternative facts. There are facts and then there are lies. Every time anyone using the term "alternative facts" gently, kindly, but forcefully correct them (in real time) that the correct word they mean to use is "LIE"!

by Anonymousreply 172August 25, 2024 1:04 PM

Or you can correct them harshly and cruelly, it's all one to me.

by Anonymousreply 173August 25, 2024 1:13 PM

[quote]So many Trump Derangement Syndrome victims here.

So, help me here...

What exactly is that? Is it your belief that women should sit quietly while their healthcare rights are being dismantled by groups of men? Should these same women just accept proposed legislation (of which many have a good chance of passing) that will track their menstrual cycles, miscarriages, etc? Will women be allowed to travel state to state freely without some type of monitorization and a permission slip?

by Anonymousreply 174August 25, 2024 1:17 PM

You know what it is, R174? A right wing way to dismiss anything negative said about Trump (basically "Oh, look, another Trump thread") but an old and busted one. Before that troll trotted it out, I hadn't heard it in a couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 175August 25, 2024 1:20 PM

[quote]I just put 18 posters on this thread on block,..

OH! Good participation! (CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!!! Feelings of joy!)

by Anonymousreply 176August 25, 2024 1:21 PM

R136 crazy. Buttigieg wasn't good enough because he is gay, but he should go and talk instead of dumb presidential candidate who us of right sexual orientation.

by Anonymousreply 177August 25, 2024 1:23 PM

R132 In case it wasn’t clear R127 was a quote from the article. I was too lazy to [quote] last night

by Anonymousreply 178August 25, 2024 1:25 PM

I said it on another thread that it seems like you all have very low opinion of Kamala. You think that she is incapable to sit with an interviewer and talk about her plans and projects for half an hour. If this was Obama or Hillary I bet all of you would want them to talk to the press. You want to hide Kamala in the basement until the election is over and pray all goes well.

by Anonymousreply 179August 25, 2024 1:36 PM

Who cares what you think, r179?

by Anonymousreply 180August 25, 2024 1:43 PM

But can you say I was wrong R180

by Anonymousreply 181August 25, 2024 1:46 PM

R180, why don't you try thinking and then maybe we can have a discussion.

Unless being a 9 year old works for you.

by Anonymousreply 182August 25, 2024 1:47 PM

Is this Trump Derangement Syndrome?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183August 25, 2024 1:49 PM

I have to give it to R179. He/she is more subtle than your usual weekend troll. At least R179 is trying to workshop and finesse their talking points. Almost there, but not quite flawless yet.

by Anonymousreply 184August 25, 2024 1:49 PM

[quote]I said it on another thread that it seems like you all have very low opinion of Kamala. You think that she is incapable to sit with an interviewer and talk about her plans and projects for half an hour.

But what is the rush? Why must she respond to "your" time and schedule?

by Anonymousreply 185August 25, 2024 1:55 PM

R6, I never knew that! Thanks for the tip. 🙏

by Anonymousreply 186August 25, 2024 1:59 PM

The only risk is the she's hiding label sticks. It is a convention that the major nominees do substantive sit downs.

I think the world of social media has conditioned an impatience in society so political junkies are going to think it's been forever since she's done an interview.

There's a balance between the impatience and the need to respect convention. The risk of not respecting it is that somehow it backfires. She's got the youth. She probably needs to strengthen her appeal to the people who watch 60 Minutes, or what have you. It's not like she can't handle it.

by Anonymousreply 187August 25, 2024 2:00 PM

[quote]I said it on another thread that it seems like you all have very low opinion of Kamala. You think that she is incapable to sit with an interviewer and talk about her plans and projects for half an hour. If this was Obama or Hillary I bet all of you would want them to talk to the press. You want to hide Kamala in the basement until the election is over and pray all goes well.

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 188August 25, 2024 2:05 PM

[quote]But what is the rush? Why must she respond to "your" time and schedule?

W hat's the rush?

Early voting starts in a few weeks. The public should hear an interview or two.

by Anonymousreply 189August 25, 2024 2:07 PM

There are numerous interviews, articles, statements, etc of VP Harris. Let's not be disingenuous. The stomping of feet and tantrums by the media is nothing more than a strategy. While I don't recall what they did to Obama and how he handled it, I do recall that they applied the same pressure to Hillary Clinton, and she was well aware of what their true objectives were. Once she FINALLY agreed to do interviews (because the pressure became too overwhelming) the press went into overdrive to tear every word she said apart. UGH! I can't stand Andrea Mitchell to this day because how she handled Hillary Clinton!

Okay... early voting starts in a few weeks. So what? If a person is undecided and/or uncomfortable voting because they feel that they don't know enough about the candidate, then don't vote early. Vote later. Who is holding a gun to their head forcing them to vote early?

by Anonymousreply 190August 25, 2024 2:26 PM

[quote] She's got the youth.

She also has the 65+ vote. Curiously it's the 30-64 group that's more for T-Rump (sorry I can't find the poll where I saw that).

by Anonymousreply 191August 25, 2024 2:30 PM

How come you dummies don’t know the difference between an op-ed piece and a news article? This is OPINION. Look it up.

by Anonymousreply 192August 25, 2024 2:30 PM

They refuse to. They live in some irrational fantasy land where the NYT is the proxy for all their fears and frustrations about the election.

by Anonymousreply 193August 25, 2024 2:45 PM

[quote]The stomping of feet and tantrums by the media is nothing more than a strategy.

Stomping of feet is not a strategy.

by Anonymousreply 194August 25, 2024 2:49 PM

[quote] This is OPINION

Does NYT publsih articles anymore? All I see is OPINIONS, as you keep reminding us. You know that saying: opinions are like assholes...

by Anonymousreply 195August 25, 2024 3:04 PM

I'm getting a little tired of these posters claiming that we're giving too much significance to an opinion piece. The NYT doesn't have to publish just any opinion. What we're criticizing is the NYT's habit of printing factitious opinions slanted against Democrats without applying the same standards to Republicans (yes, yes, I know they print stuff critical of Republicans, but the criteria aren't the same)—and this is of a piece with their histrionic headlines (e.g. "Biden Leaves His Successor a Nation Consumed By War") and the statements of their editors (e.g. that democracy is just a partisan position and for the NYT to privilege it would be propaganda).

by Anonymousreply 196August 25, 2024 3:05 PM

I didn't realize we had a NYT shill troll but I guess anything's possible. Cleared his cookies and then came back for more prissy scolding.

by Anonymousreply 197August 25, 2024 3:06 PM

probably

by Anonymousreply 198August 25, 2024 3:11 PM

All style no substance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199August 25, 2024 3:16 PM

"How come you dummies don’t know the difference between an op-ed piece and a news article?"

How come you're such a douchebag asshole?

Please respond, your mother wants to know.

by Anonymousreply 200August 25, 2024 3:19 PM

A week or two ago, a similar thread critical of NYT got deleted. I wonder what the deal was with that.

by Anonymousreply 201August 25, 2024 3:20 PM

You aren't fooling anybody, r192.

by Anonymousreply 202August 25, 2024 3:21 PM

Cumallah is not going to save us, unless you’re an illegal alien

by Anonymousreply 203August 25, 2024 3:22 PM

If R200 doesn't prove we need Medicare for all, I don't know what will.

by Anonymousreply 204August 25, 2024 3:24 PM

she's a childless cat lady

by Anonymousreply 205August 25, 2024 3:26 PM

Your desperation for attention is just sad, r203.

by Anonymousreply 206August 25, 2024 3:31 PM

Maybe he grew up unloved, in a Romanian orphanage, R206.

by Anonymousreply 207August 25, 2024 3:33 PM

Reality check: this site is currently flooded with trolls because this election is the most important election in American history. Good vs evil. So trolls be trollin’. Don’t feed them, and don’t let them take over.

by Anonymousreply 208August 25, 2024 3:38 PM

R195 = failed middle school

by Anonymousreply 209August 25, 2024 3:38 PM

It always gets bad on weekends. And it's only going to get worse before November.

by Anonymousreply 210August 25, 2024 3:43 PM

Isn’t the NYT just using the same template as (with some slight, optical illusions) FOX? Isn’t FOX the highest rated & most profitable “news” network in the United States?

Joe Kahn is correct. It’s not his job to save democracy. It is his job, however, to take orders from the BOD, with the goal of maintaining readership & profits, even if that means giving democracy the finger. . Same story with CNN.

Please consider donating to The Guardian & PBS. TIA!

by Anonymousreply 211August 25, 2024 3:46 PM

Obama had a heckuva lot if "Yes, We Can!" and "Fired Up! Ready to Go!"

Be that as it may, hello? "Make America Great Again" again?? I guess as long as Trump and Project 2025's 900 pages state something, the NYT won't question the SUBSTANCE and REPERCUSSIONS of the "something."

New game. Let's play "INTERVIEWER":

INTERVIEWER: "So which of these positions on abortion do you stand by: 1.) You are proud of killing Roe vs Wade; or 2.) You would veto a national ban on abortion, a bill that would reach your desk only if Republicans won both Houses of Congress, in which case you would be vetoing a Republican ban?

INTERVIEWER: "Is General John Kelly lying when he says you called our military 'suckers and losers,' yes or no? Follow-up: Would you like to take this opportunity to tell America's Armed Forces that you respect them and their willingness to risk their lives for America?"

INTERVIEWER : "What is your specific plan to reduce inflation? Not a definition, not examples; your plan?"

INTERVIEWER: "Why don't you care if Putin and Russia take over Ukraine? Which country seems to you to be closer to the United States in ideals?"

INTERVIEWER : "Yes or no: It was appropriate and good that the United States entered World War II?"

INTERVIEWER: "Please explain to the voters watching, exactly how tariffs on imports are taxed, why they are taxed, and which nation's citizens, the seller's or the importer's, then pay more for the goods?"

by Anonymousreply 212August 25, 2024 3:48 PM

Anyone who drones on about trolls, tries to insist that other people not engage, dismisses any critique or questions, and actively tries to enforce an echo chamber to sniff each other’s farts is immediately written off as low IQ and insecure by me.

by Anonymousreply 213August 25, 2024 3:52 PM

Marry me, R213. It'll be a conventional, two person wedding given how outnumbered we are.

by Anonymousreply 214August 25, 2024 4:16 PM

LoL, r213, your posting history is filled with trolling. You aren't fooling anybody.

by Anonymousreply 215August 25, 2024 4:21 PM

[quote]Reality check: this site is currently flooded with trolls because this election is the most important election in American history. Good vs evil. So trolls be trollin’. Don’t feed them, and don’t let them take over.

I agree.

Lots of Kamala trolls.

It's difficult to have a reasonable exchange of opinion with them out in force.

by Anonymousreply 216August 25, 2024 4:22 PM

R213 and R214 should hook up so they can bump pussies.

by Anonymousreply 217August 25, 2024 4:23 PM

Very reasonable, R217. You contribute a lot to DL!

by Anonymousreply 218August 25, 2024 4:25 PM

[quote]What we're criticizing is the NYT's habit of printing factitious opinions slanted against Democrats without applying the same standards to Republicans

Bullshit.

The NYTimes constantly features articles critical of Trump. As they should.

And guess what? The NYTimes will be ENDORSING Harris.

What more do you want?

by Anonymousreply 219August 25, 2024 4:26 PM

[quote]I agree.

[quote]Lots of Kamala trolls.

If you aren't for Kamala, r216, you're for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 220August 25, 2024 4:27 PM

Typical low IQ idiot at R220.

One can be critical of Harris, skeptical about Harris, and still vote for her. Not all of us bow down to politicians.

by Anonymousreply 221August 25, 2024 4:29 PM

Could you *be* any more retarded, r221?

by Anonymousreply 222August 25, 2024 4:31 PM

R222 The retarded on is you dear.

by Anonymousreply 223August 25, 2024 4:32 PM

R216 reasonable like calling everyone who isn’t clacking a Kamala circuit fan a “troll” and “MAGAt”. Please, you progressives have no capability of exchange ideas.

by Anonymousreply 224August 25, 2024 4:35 PM

Your posting history is nothing but Kamala bashing, r223. That's called trolling, not constructive criticism. You aren't fooling anybody, LoL.

by Anonymousreply 225August 25, 2024 4:36 PM

[quote]r224 = Please, you progressives have no capability of exchange ideas.

Sorry, comrade.

by Anonymousreply 226August 25, 2024 4:37 PM

R225 is a troll and a pedoo.

by Anonymousreply 227August 25, 2024 4:37 PM

Lol the schizophrenia is high here. EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES IS A RUSSIAN!!!

by Anonymousreply 228August 25, 2024 4:38 PM

The fetid, putrid stench of Defucktardo/Gerg/Teabag permeates this thread.@R218, R223, R228, among others.

by Anonymousreply 229August 25, 2024 4:38 PM

[quote]Lol the schizophrenia is high here

Such projection, r228.

by Anonymousreply 230August 25, 2024 4:41 PM

[quote]Your posting history is nothing but Kamala bashing, [R223]. That's called trolling, not constructive criticism. You aren't fooling anybody, LoL.

Dear Hall Monitor, get to work and find any post where I ever praised Trump or JD Vance.

by Anonymousreply 231August 25, 2024 4:41 PM

Apparently the shills have dropped "you don't recognize an opinion piece!" and picked up "you call people outside your bubble trolls!" as their would-be argument. We can tell the difference between difference of opinion and trolling because we know how to check the evidence and read it in context.

by Anonymousreply 232August 25, 2024 5:04 PM

Well, when my bubble happens to coincide with dislike and fear of authoritarianism, yes, people outside that bubble are most likely right wing trolls.

by Anonymousreply 233August 25, 2024 5:10 PM

[quote]And guess what? The NYTimes will be ENDORSING Harris.

Mmph... Akin to a spouse/partner that repeatedly beats the shit out of you and will still always claim, "yes, we're still together and happy"

by Anonymousreply 234August 25, 2024 5:13 PM

I'll feel great joy when trump and his ilk lose their influence on government. Joy is not the strategy, but it is already a side affect of working hard to boot out scum trump and his allies.

by Anonymousreply 235August 25, 2024 5:15 PM

[quote]Anyone who drones on about trolls, tries to insist that other people not engage, dismisses any critique or questions, and actively tries to enforce an echo chamber to sniff each other’s farts is immediately written off as low IQ and insecure by me.

But what is it that you are criticizing? Building a hatred towards her because she didn't do a sit-down interview within 24 hours of being nominated?

by Anonymousreply 236August 25, 2024 5:34 PM

[quote] Anyone who drones on about trolls, tries to insist that other people not engage, dismisses any critique or questions, and actively tries to enforce an echo chamber to sniff each other’s farts is immediately written off as low IQ and insecure by me.

Someone seems to feel so superior. Please, bitch, I have a Ph.D. in science - I bet I'd outrank you on every intelligence test of your choice. As with anyone of your sort (Republican), every accusation is an admission. Now go back to eating crayons and let adults talk among themselves.

by Anonymousreply 237August 25, 2024 5:40 PM

[quote]Anyone who drones on about trolls, tries to insist that other people not engage, dismisses any critique or questions, and actively tries to enforce an echo chamber to sniff each other’s farts is immediately written off as low IQ and insecure by me.

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 238August 25, 2024 5:48 PM

R237 makes me remember the scene from the Wizard of Oz when the scarecrow complained about not having a brain, so the wizard gave him a diploma, stating: those who have no brain can replace it with a degree.

by Anonymousreply 239August 25, 2024 6:20 PM

“All The News Dreamt Up By Sycophants”

by Anonymousreply 240August 25, 2024 6:27 PM

[quote]Please, bitch, I have a Ph.D. in science

You sure sound like it. Detached, logical, fact based. Can I get a Miss Thang, Einstein?

by Anonymousreply 241August 25, 2024 7:07 PM

I get the argument that the media is in it for the clicks and ratings that Trump's antics provide. But is that still the case? His rallies don't draw the crowds they used to, and his speeches have become very predictable. Vance is a crashing bore.

by Anonymousreply 242August 25, 2024 11:52 PM

^But there are always the tweets!

by Anonymousreply 243August 25, 2024 11:54 PM

Does Carol Roth post on DL?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244August 26, 2024 12:01 AM

Walt Mossberg, the legendary former tech columnist for the WSJ, has taken notice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245August 26, 2024 9:17 AM

I think this guy is onto something, R245. His posting aligns much with my own feelings. It's about principles, "right vs wrong", etc. But... NYC is a very expensive city. Ya gots to pay the rent and bills...

by Anonymousreply 246August 26, 2024 10:07 AM

True, thee last 4 years of Dem's rule raised rents and bills to high heaven.

by Anonymousreply 247August 26, 2024 10:09 AM

Also, projection is an interesting phenomena R245. Freud might be obsolete on some matters, but the theory on projection shows he truly is a genies.

by Anonymousreply 248August 26, 2024 10:11 AM

And, good morning to you, R247...

Nope. You can't put the high rents on "Dem rule". This is the result of the Bloomberg policies that relaxed and/or deleted many regulations concerning landlords and ownership. I'll note that I was and am a Bloomberg fan/supporter.

by Anonymousreply 249August 26, 2024 10:15 AM

But r221, if (and I don't look up posts) KH criticism is the main focus of your political comments, then one must perforce wonder why. There is more than enough to criticize with her opponent, and nobody expects perfection from Kamala .

by Anonymousreply 250August 26, 2024 10:28 AM

I like Micheline Maynard's comment on the NYT's decline in R245's link:

[quote]Having worked there 10 years, this is my theory. The copy desk was a secret weapon. The desk did not just catch errors. The desk knew context, history and had the highest ethical standards. When 100 copy editors were let go, it robbed the paper of an invaluable resource. I am convinced things would be different if the desk was still intact. I mourn their departure every day.

by Anonymousreply 251August 26, 2024 12:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252August 26, 2024 2:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253August 26, 2024 2:51 PM

Cancel cancel cancel!

by Anonymousreply 254August 26, 2024 3:09 PM

Why post articles from the NYT? Are you encouraging us to read them. I will only watch reruns of DNC until Election Day. No other media consumed. On Election Day if Trump wins I’ll OD on my meds.

by Anonymousreply 255August 26, 2024 3:20 PM

Take your cliched hyperbole and kindly fuck off, DeFucktardo @R255.

by Anonymousreply 256August 26, 2024 3:28 PM

I am not De Fuckface whoever that is!

by Anonymousreply 257August 26, 2024 3:51 PM

"I am not De Fuckface whoever that is!"

As if!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 258August 26, 2024 4:39 PM

I had to look up what other stuff that tool Patrick Healy wrote. Here are his pearls of wisdom (I almost died laughing seeing the one about the Huckabeast). Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259August 26, 2024 4:48 PM

Other than to talk about how fat and ugly she is, nobody but nobody is talking about Sara Huckabeast Sanders becoming President anytime soon.

Why do idiots like Patrick Healy live in such an alternate universe, and why do 'sophisticated" NYT readers let them live in their alternate universe ivory towers?

by Anonymousreply 260August 26, 2024 4:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261August 26, 2024 5:20 PM

These fuckers. They never stop.

by Anonymousreply 262August 26, 2024 5:59 PM

"Has NYT become cheugy?"

by Anonymousreply 263August 26, 2024 6:04 PM

Why is the founder of the formerly non-partisan RealClearPolitics jumping on the anti-Biden bandwagon...now...for minimal engagement?

Things just don't seem to make sense anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264August 26, 2024 6:10 PM

[quote]Why do idiots like Patrick Healy live in such an alternate universe, and why do 'sophisticated" NYT readers let them live in their alternate universe ivory towers?

What I always wonder to myself-until now... is who are the women (or men) that are married/partnered to such a person that could write/say such below the belt vile things and/or blatantly lie about another person? Take Jesse Waters (FOX) for example; I heard that his mother is a die-hard liberal but now look at her awful son that she has given birth to. Is Waters' speech and stunts an act or does he really believe the stuff that he does and that comes out of his mouth? Or is it a case of "loving unconditionally"?

by Anonymousreply 265August 26, 2024 7:22 PM

[quote] Why do idiots like Patrick Healy live in such an alternate universe

These are the kind of pundits who used to solemnly tell us that Jon Huntsman would be formidable in the 2012 primary, because he was a "centrist" who could give Obama a run for his money. Huntsman won 2 delegates and dropped out after New Hampshire! They have a completely factitious image of the electorate and the political scene in general.

by Anonymousreply 266August 27, 2024 1:22 AM

"Joy Is Not A Strategy". Perhaps not. But we have been joyless with Trump on the front page every day for 9 years. So how about, "Anyone But Trump"?

by Anonymousreply 267August 27, 2024 2:21 AM

The shills be shillin'. Tell Joe Kahn when you see him this week to go choke on a bag of dicks.

by Anonymousreply 268August 27, 2024 2:25 AM

Carville calls it shucking and jiving, and he’s exactly right.

Folks, what do you do Jen the people in power are just fucking liars but they control most of the media? We need a true miracle, something unusual. It could be a big celebrity, but it would be much more powerful if it’s a regular person. I’m not sure where I’m going except to say, we need something to shift the media narrative again because these constant attacks are intense AF. Every single major right-leaning site is doing this, and there are so many, it’s not just NYT. We are getting carpet-bombed.

It’s not surprising, this was expected by the pros, I’m just trying to think of what the great political tacticians would say needs to happen when the media is attacking you from all sides. We need someone else to come from the flank with a serious counter-attack that flips the negative press back to Fucktard. The focus must stay on Dump and only Dump. If we can drive the media toward him, she wins.

by Anonymousreply 269August 27, 2024 3:35 AM

Carville is old school. I get his concerns but this is not 1990s; punditry and op-eds play a significantly lesser role than they did back then.

by Anonymousreply 270August 27, 2024 3:39 AM

Typos! “When”

by Anonymousreply 271August 27, 2024 3:42 AM

R270, I totally agree that he’s old school. But do you not also agree that Dems are getting sandbagged from all sides?

by Anonymousreply 272August 27, 2024 3:43 AM

They are getting sandbagged. But, I think that people are increasingly exhausted by constant negativity on part of the media. And I think it's starting to get reflected in the polls.

by Anonymousreply 273August 27, 2024 3:45 AM

I agree that people are *fried*, we are so weary. But I also think this race is extremely close, and the media pulling this shite has the potential to tip it. So how do we fight back if they have all the power? That is THE question!

by Anonymousreply 274August 27, 2024 3:52 AM

Real Clear Politics should be called Real Right Wing Politics.

They pretended to be neutral for a while but of all things, the NY Times did a story on how rightwing they actually were.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275August 27, 2024 4:17 AM

Joy isn't the strategy, it's just a most refreshing by-product.

by Anonymousreply 276August 27, 2024 5:18 AM

Joe Kahn, you're an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 277August 27, 2024 5:27 AM

Glad I cancelled months ago.

by Anonymousreply 278August 27, 2024 7:44 AM

[quote] So how do we fight back if they have all the power?

IMHO, ya (we) gotta hit 'em where it counts and that's in the pockets. Until "we the people" have finally said that "enough is enough" is when the established media will listen. The problem in my view is all of the pressure for fresh content origination and it is that pressure and the quest to be first that places us where we are today. We, the public, have to find new news outlet sources.

Now, I'm sure there will be much disagreement, but sources such as the Meidas Touch, Brian Tyler Cohen (his book is #1 on the Best Seller Listing!), and even The Young Turks, are just some of the outlets that should be viewed more and possibly given more credibility. Yep, I understand that these are basically opinion outlets, but hopefully many of you will follow my intent for looking for new news sources for news. Or maybe it's just going back to really supporting PBS?

by Anonymousreply 279August 27, 2024 11:33 AM

ProPublica is where it’s at. I always forget if New Yorker vs New York mag is better. The Atlantic, The New Republic, The Guardian, Mother Jones.

I’ve actually been clocking the AP getting really sloppy in their journalism, I’ve written a couple of their reporters over misleading statements. I do find political strategists to be very helpful. The Cook Political reports blows RealClear and 538 out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 280August 27, 2024 12:07 PM

I LIKE THIS!!!

George Lakoff @GeorgeLakoff·21h

Joy is powerful because it plays on your emotions. Emotions are everything in politics.

If you feel good about somebody's political views – if joining with them and voting for them makes you feel happy – that's the most powerful thing.

by Anonymousreply 281August 27, 2024 12:42 PM

New York Times to New York: Drop Dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282August 27, 2024 1:53 PM

R281, the strategists say that too, at least the ones I believe in and trust. The “mood” of the country is everything. People are tired of the anger.

by Anonymousreply 283August 27, 2024 1:54 PM

A woman that has worked every day of her life for the benefit of working class doesn't have to sit down-AOC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284August 27, 2024 2:04 PM

R282, fuck the legacy media

by Anonymousreply 285August 27, 2024 2:13 PM

[quote] Harris is running as the 1st post-media president. It's the media's own fault!

[quote] Instead of meeting a threat to democracy, careerist clickbaiters have both-sidesed, fact-checked trivia, and asked pointless questions

The Philadelphia Inquirer is rapidly becoming the new "paper of record"

[quote] The Chicago-based media critic Mark Jacob, a retired veteran editor of that city’s Tribune and Sun Times, nailed it Monday with a piece headlined “Mainstream media on a path to irrelevance.” Jacob has harsh words for how reporters have covered the race, writing that “too many political journalists are marinating in the Washington cocktail culture, writing for each other and for their sources — in service to the political industry, not the public.” But he also notes that traditional media can’t figure out how to compete for young eyeballs against sites like edgy and fast-paced TikTok. Jacob pointed out that public faith in mass media has plunged from 72% in 1976, after Watergate, to just 32% today.

[...]

[quote] But more broadly, Harris and her campaign is 100% focused on message discipline to build her brand and sell it to the American people in a few short weeks. The surest way to get thrown off that message discipline would be a stray answer at an open news conference or in an interview with the likes of NBC’s Lester Holt — so for now, Harris is simply not doing that.

[quote] And she’s getting away with it. Mainstream journalists can carp and whine about this all they want, but when less than a third of Americans trust the mass media, few folks are listening to them. What’s been really striking this year is that while traditionally deep distrust of the mainstream press has long been the province of right-wing Republicans, now it’s liberals who once cheered for the media to do better who seem to be giving up on them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286August 27, 2024 6:16 PM

[quote] “The coverage of Trump’s attacks on Harris’s racial identity is a good example of the media once again allowing his bullying and false accusations to drive the narrative,” Margaret Sullivan, who served as a media critic at both The Post and The Times, told me. “Often the problem is not the number of stories, but about tone and framing. We’ve seen it before — all too often — and yet it keeps happening.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287August 27, 2024 6:32 PM

Thx for those quotes and article, R286/R287. They're much appreciated.

You guys see if you can follow me here... IMHO, the reason that the press treats the Democrats the way that they do is because the Democrats know and play by the rules. Whereas, the Republicans have learned that one does not need to follow the rules because what consequences will you ever have to face? For a real quick example; The press shamed Al Franken into resigning. There have been a few Republicans who have done much worse than what Al Franken did, and these folks refused to resign and/or suffer any consequences from their actions. While their Republican colleagues might not rally behind such people publicly, they will circle the wagon ("no comment", "I have not seen such reports",) to protect them. Just look at George Santos. How many Republicans came out to publicly rebuke him?

So, the press throws up its hands because they believe they are powerless. But...let's go after those that know right from wrong, good vs evil, etc because with them we, the press, can bully them.

by Anonymousreply 288August 27, 2024 7:11 PM

NYT Opinion today =

This Is Who Kamala Harris Fails

by Anonymousreply 289August 28, 2024 3:50 PM

^Mmph... the hits just a keep on comin'...

by Anonymousreply 290August 28, 2024 4:34 PM

This is interesting. The NYT ahs changed the title of one of today's opinion pieces. It is now 'You Want Policies? Trump’s Got Policies.' Title sounds pro Trump.

However, this morning, the article was titled 'What the World Look Like if We Take Trump At His Word' A much tamer title that not not sound pro Trump.

The writer's Twitter still had the old title in his ink this AM. Link redirects you to the new title.

They are shameless!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291August 28, 2024 4:40 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292August 28, 2024 5:11 PM

Instead of X, NYT should have accounts on Truth Social and Rumble.

by Anonymousreply 293August 28, 2024 6:49 PM

[quote] the Republicans have learned that one does not need to follow the rules because what consequences will you ever have to face?

They got the shot and the commercial is running!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294August 29, 2024 12:18 AM

Talking about joy in relation to running for a deeply serious position like POTUS is actually off-putting to me. Who are they attempting to reach with this "message?" Not that I'm against the emotion of joy, but it just seems like the presidency has now become like a laundry detergent or a dish soap, marketed as such. It's so shallow and meaningless. AND it really has NOTHING to do with what the presidency entails or anything. I mean yes they sang Happy Days Are Here Again when FDR won, but afaik FDR never ran on it.

by Anonymousreply 295August 29, 2024 1:17 AM

Were they going to stay in Afghanistan forever? Nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 296August 29, 2024 4:33 AM

donOLD can ramble for 90 minutes and the press finds the three coherent parts they can use to normalize him. Harris or Walz speak clearly for 10 minutes and the press fixates for a week about the use of interrogative tense instead of future perfect tense....

The "story" for him is about the rare occasions the fucked up can get it right but the "story" for her is did they catch a glitch which can prove the preconceived misogyny, racism and/or other bias.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297August 29, 2024 2:05 PM

[Quote] " Not that I'm against the emotion of joy, but it just seems like the presidency has now become like a laundry detergent or a dish soap, marketed as such. It's so shallow and meaningless.

To the frau at R295

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298August 29, 2024 3:33 PM

Why does the NYT keep posting different variations of "Here's why this is bad for Kamala!!!"? Does this really get them more clicks than posting about Trump's felonies?!

by Anonymousreply 299August 29, 2024 3:34 PM

[quote] Does this really get them more clicks than posting about Trump's felonies?!

Reporting on tRumps felonies would endanger their access

by Anonymousreply 300August 29, 2024 3:42 PM

[Quote] Why does the NYT keep posting different variations of "Here's why this is bad for Kamala!!!"

to annoy you!

by Anonymousreply 301August 29, 2024 11:20 PM

Because they are clickbait chasers these days. You click on a stupid take of theirs to rage-read and stay for the real estate, recipes, and puzzles. And recommendadtions for best mousetraps!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302August 29, 2024 11:23 PM

R301, brilliant strategy, it's working.

by Anonymousreply 303August 30, 2024 2:35 AM

[Quote] brilliant strategy, it's working.

ditto R302

by Anonymousreply 304August 30, 2024 2:14 PM

The Times will do everything it can, not to report the news, but to frame the news in the best way to increase circulation and revenue.

It is not a newspaper anymore. Its motto should be, All the News That Makes Us Money.

by Anonymousreply 305August 30, 2024 2:35 PM

[quote]It is not a newspaper anymore. Its motto should be, All the News That Makes Us Money.

Well, it has to make money, R305. They have those damn writers who want more money and back-office operations, people who want raises. DAMN THEM! They just ruin good profit margins!!!

by Anonymousreply 306August 30, 2024 2:38 PM

they view wagering the odds more important than analyzing the stakes

by Anonymousreply 307August 30, 2024 2:39 PM

Which doesn't make them very different from any other news organization does it R307?

by Anonymousreply 308August 30, 2024 6:56 PM

It's a good thing that my father, a lifelong dedicated New York Times reader, is dead. This would kill him.

by Anonymousreply 309August 31, 2024 2:02 AM

I can no longer defend the Times. What so many “mainstream” news outlets either don’t comprehend or fail to acknowledge is that we have reached a point where the old rules of “politics as usual” are no longer relevant. This has been the case since 2016 which ushered in the current post truth, “alt facts” era. I don’t need to reiterate the endless list of atrocious harms perpetrated by DHT and his thugs but to pretend to be “balanced” when so much is at stake for Americans and most of the world is reprehensible. George Lakoff got it right when he observed that “Conservatives” are far more adept at storytelling and appealing to emotions than “Liberals”who are still trapped in the eighteenth century belief that most of our decisions are guided by reason and our emotions are irrelevant. It’s about time that Democrats take notice and, in the process, take control of our own narrative. We have a good story to tell and I want to believe that joy, compassion, freedom, and justice are every bit as compelling as the opposing narrative that is rooted in cynicism and human cruelty. And remind yourself that policies are rooted in epistemologies. If you don’t believe me, take the time to study Project 2025.

by Anonymousreply 310August 31, 2024 2:45 AM

Only a moral degenerate would treat Trump as anything but a Traitor and psychopath. Every day the New York Times fails to savage him is a dmonstration of their lack of journalistic ethics.

by Anonymousreply 311August 31, 2024 3:00 AM

I've got a NYT sub for $4/month but I know I need to drop it. Got wapo at $0.99/month - have they become turncoats too?

by Anonymousreply 312August 31, 2024 3:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313August 31, 2024 11:35 AM

Something is deeply wrong with the leadership of the Times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314August 31, 2024 12:18 PM

[quote]What so many “mainstream” news outlets either don’t comprehend or fail to acknowledge is that we have reached a point where the old rules of “politics as usual” are no longer relevant.

What so many “mainstream” news outlets either don’t comprehend or fail to acknowledge is that we have reached a point where the “mainstream” news outlets are no longer relevant.

by Anonymousreply 315August 31, 2024 12:24 PM

This indeed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316August 31, 2024 8:02 PM

Unfortunately today's New York Times sucks ass big time.

by Anonymousreply 317August 31, 2024 9:13 PM

The Constitution "dangerous"? To traitors, yes. To religious authoritarians, yes. To grifting Presidents, yes.

by Anonymousreply 318August 31, 2024 9:29 PM

Washington Post, but…yeah…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319September 1, 2024 3:15 AM

Marc A. Thiessen? Shouldn't he be writing speeches for Donald Rumsfeld? Oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 320September 1, 2024 3:24 AM

Washington Post turned right after Katharine Graham died. NY Times right turn happened more recently, presumably having something to do with Netanyahu.

by Anonymousreply 321September 1, 2024 11:00 AM

Not going to click, but does Thiessen take into account that Al Gore only lost because the Republicans on the Supreme Court stopped the vote-counting in FL? And, if truth be told, there was some dubiousness about Nixon's loss in 1960.

by Anonymousreply 322September 1, 2024 11:00 AM

[quote]Unfortunately today's New York Times sucks ass big time

Nicest thing anyone has said about the Times in YEARS!

by Anonymousreply 323September 1, 2024 11:05 AM

There was no dubiousness about Nixon's loss. Nor was their dubiousness about the fact that George W. Bush lost in 2000 and 2004 and usurped the office anyway.

by Anonymousreply 324September 1, 2024 11:06 AM

Even NYT reporters can see how it has turned to shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325September 1, 2024 2:25 PM

Of course they can. Because the owners are traitors.

The government needs to secretly buy up the shares to a big media company and then get rid of all the conservative editorial bias.

by Anonymousreply 326September 1, 2024 4:48 PM

The death of local press is what leads to this. Before, when you lived outside major media centers, you were able to read about local issues, factory closures, moving them out of the state, instead of GOP bullshitting you how they were going to "tax foreign countries" or some nonsense like that. Also, you'd have reports on school system failures, corruption of local politicians and law enforcement. National newspapers won't touch that; instead they find some bozo who pontificates about culture wars, the color of the dress Kamala wore at the convention, "vibecession", etc. And, if you get a chance, read about how investment capital worked hard on destroying local newspapers and corporatizing them.

by Anonymousreply 327September 1, 2024 7:11 PM

MauDow the Dodo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328September 2, 2024 1:52 AM

What I was talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329September 2, 2024 2:35 AM

Shawn McCreesh is part of that NY Times set that feels that the only mark of career success is to write stories that make people talk about the writer -- not the actual topic.

In other words, like his mentor, the execrable Dowd, success is journalism means becoming a Name.

Not writing good journalism.

These people should be fired. Instead, at the Times, they're celebrated for possibly bringing in new readers and creating online discussions.

Like we're doing here.

Damn.

by Anonymousreply 330September 2, 2024 2:37 PM

OH, MY!!!

Matthew Dowd @matthewjdowd·

i can promise you something: if you ignore and don't read any political news from NY Times, Axios, and Politico, you will not only be more at peace, but you will be better informed by not reading their stuff.

by Anonymousreply 331September 9, 2024 10:40 AM

Roy Kahn - Managing Editor

by Anonymousreply 332September 9, 2024 12:33 PM

I'll laugh my ass off if Trump gets elected and the entire Sulzberger clan then gets hauled off to some "reeducation center," despite sticking their collective heads so far up Trumps fat, white entitled ass.

by Anonymousreply 333September 9, 2024 12:39 PM

Ali Minai @barbarikon·6h

Ignore the media - especially the @nytimes

by Anonymousreply 334September 9, 2024 12:42 PM

R331 you have forgotten the king of propaganda Msnbc

by Anonymousreply 335September 9, 2024 1:52 PM

R335 you’re so unaware.

by Anonymousreply 336September 9, 2024 2:14 PM

To slither around undetected you need tall grass 🐍

by Anonymousreply 337September 9, 2024 4:07 PM

So, MSNBC has been droning all day long about how unfair the reporting has been regarding Harris, etc. Will someone tell me who they are talking to? Also, why is it that this outlet feels that it has not been complicit in doing this? I'll only give Lawrence O'donnell (and maybe Ari Melber) a pass, BUT the other anchors?

by Anonymousreply 338September 9, 2024 11:12 PM

At least the subject has been picked up on!

by Anonymousreply 339September 9, 2024 11:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!