Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you reread books you enjoy?

I don't read many books, but I just read a few novels I thoroughly enjoyed! Then, I thought about some books I read, and loved, a few years ago and wondered if they would be as good as I remembered. I have several friends who reread books and say they enjoy them even more. I wonder. Have you ever done this?

by Anonymousreply 42August 24, 2024 9:03 PM

Yeah, I do. I've reread Flannery O'Connor's short stories and The Great Gatsby. I could and should probably reread East of Eden.

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2024 10:01 PM

I only enjoy Southern prose-y writing, and since there's not that much of it, yes.

Maybe AI can write some new ones?

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2024 10:02 PM

There's a handful of books I've read over and over.

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2024 10:07 PM

Are books any better, once you've seen the movie?

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2024 10:14 PM

R4 No, once you have seen the movie, there is no use to read the book. Especially, if it is a long book.

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2024 10:16 PM

Absolutely I do, especially novels.

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2024 10:28 PM

There are SO many books I've read multiple times. You're never the same person you were when you first read it (or read it for the third time). Off the top of my head: Paul Scott's The Raj Quartet; Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy; David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas, Black Swan Green and ...Jacob DeZoet; HIlary Mantel's Cromwell trilogy; Olivia Manning's Balkan and Levant trilogies (yes, I love a good trilogy, including LOTR, but it's been many, many years since I reread that); Jamie O'Neill's At Swim Two Boys; Alan Hollinghurst's The Swimming Pool Library; all of Jane Austen (except Northanger Abbey) and all of Laurie Colwin. I recently reread John Fowles' The French Lieutenant's Woman, having not reread it for a few decades. Sometimes I think I would be perfectly happy just rereading books. (Currently reading James Plunkett's Strumpet City for the first time.)

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2024 10:33 PM

Yes, I do, some over and over and over again.

But there is usually a reasonable interval in between -- like 5-10 years.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2024 10:33 PM

In Cold Blood. I’ve watched the movie several times also.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2024 10:36 PM

I visited "The Mount", Edith Wharton's home in the Berkshires recently. Makes me want to re-read "The House of Mirth", my favorite of her novels. I've probably read it 3 times already.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2024 10:39 PM

No. But I do unread books I hate.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2024 10:44 PM

I like Dan Brown novels. The movies do not do them justice.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2024 10:45 PM

I reread Maupin's Tales of the City books every few years, just to conjure up the nostalgia of San Francisco and the joy of youth.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2024 10:50 PM

San Francisco had a really great vibe.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2024 10:53 PM

Yes, but mostly fiction. Graham Greene's "Brighton Rock": every year. My enjoyment of it never fades. Same with a few other shorter novels and novellas: "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"; "The Power of the Dog"; "Sweet Days of Discipline"; "Dancer from the Dance"; "Reflections in a Golden Eye" (Carson McCullers really had the best titles);"Terug tot Ida Damman" by Simon Vestdijk.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2024 10:54 PM

I’ve reread some ya books that I liked from my teenage years. Lots of nostalgia. I listen to Rebecca on Audible at least once a year.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2024 10:57 PM

R10! Me too!

There are 5 novels/books that I have read 4 or more times-

The House Of Mirth

You'll Never Eat Lunch in this Town Again

Blue Nights (Joan Didion)

The White Album- Didion

and a book called Anywhere But Here by Mona Simpson- probably one of my most re-readable books as I am obsessed with films about southern CA in the 60's-80's. That book never gets old to me. (They made it into a so-so film 20 years ago)

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2024 10:58 PM

I've re-read Whitman's 'Leaves of Grass' many times. It only gets better.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2024 10:58 PM

Fuck no

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2024 11:00 PM

The Great Gatsby

The Master and Margarita

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

The House of Mirth

Invisible Cities

The Haunting of Hill House

The Spoils of Poynton

Washington Square

Dubliners

Dante's Inferno (John Ciardi version)

The Time of Indifference (also translated as An or The Age of Indifference)

The Tree of Night (and other stories)

The Hobbit

Edgar Allen Poe, H. P. Lovecraft and other weird writers

Several others, but those are my go-tos for "I will always enjoy reading this".

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2024 11:04 PM

Yes I’ve read Night Clit 50 times

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2024 11:05 PM

Most of my new book buys are ebooks (Kindle or Nook), mainly as I’ve three full bookcases now. But I frequently go back and reread books because I miss holding a book in my hands. Reading off an iPad is not the same tactile feeling. Favorites to reread are Maupin’s Tales, Ethan Mordden’s novel and the Buddies series, Felice Picano’s novel and his short story collections.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2024 11:15 PM

I don't reread books, I don't rewatch movies and I don't do TV reruns. There have been a handful of exceptions over the years, but very few. I'd rather take a chance on something new.

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2024 11:28 PM

I think Somerset Maugham prided himself on never having re-read a book.

I get that, but some books are so fucking good you don't tire of re-reading them.

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2024 11:35 PM

NEVER

by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2024 11:36 PM

I have a friend who never rewatches movies. I believe he may have a photographic memory or something (IQ in the 140s) but still. I'll mention I watched "The Birds" last night and he's like, "Oh! Did you enjoy it?" and I'll say I've seen it like 50 times and just get a blank stare.

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2024 11:41 PM

I have a friend who fucks the spine of brand new library books

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2024 11:49 PM

I read "Brideshead Revisited" again every few years. I'm thinking of rereading The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy again, since I haven't read those since I was a kid. Maybe the Piers Anthony Xanth series, which I also haven't read since I was a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2024 11:49 PM

As I grow older, I do less rereading, other than a few treasured books, such as Dubliners, Mrs. Dalloway, and some Faulkner and O’Connor. I’m working on a scholarly study of Andrew Holleran and reread all his published books, some of which I haven’t read in forty years. It felt like a lively luxury. I still haven’t read all of Proust.

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2024 11:50 PM

I rip the pages out of books because my father is rich

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2024 11:52 PM

I read my books on passenger ships over and over again. Never get tired of reading them.

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2024 11:56 PM

Definitely I like to reread a favorite. As suggested up thread, with a fitting span of a few years at least between readings.

Some examples, not counting books read as a child and then again as an adult:

A Dance to the Music of Time (12 vols.) twice and thinking parts of sone volumes multiple times more

Evelyn Waugh - the novels multiple times

John Cheever - short stories

Flannery O'Connor - short stories

Robert McLiam Wilson - his few novels 2 and 3x

Thackeray - Vanity Fair, The Newcomes, Barry Lyndon

Muriel Spark

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2024 11:57 PM

I like to masturbate

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2024 11:58 PM

Books are always better than the movies made of them.

by Anonymousreply 34August 24, 2024 12:03 AM

I suppose I'm blessed with not being able to remember plots well. Re-read [italic]Bleak House[/italic] last year after quite a while, only recalling that Esther had smallpox, that was it. I can't really remember much of [italic]The Eustace Diamonds[/italic], but that Lizzie Eustace was a character written for Dataloungers (see also: Cousin Bette).

For nonfiction, I re-listened to Paul Theroux's first travel book [italic]The Great Railway Bazaar[/italic] a while ago, excellent narrator died young in an accident.

by Anonymousreply 35August 24, 2024 12:09 AM

[quote] I like Dan Brown novels. The movies do not do them justice.

No film could ever do justice to such a deathless opening sentence as "Renowned curator Jacques Saunière staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery"!

by Anonymousreply 36August 24, 2024 12:10 AM

A few favorite novels I reread just this past year:

PARADISE POSTPONED by John Mortimer

THE ROBBER BRIDE by Margaret Atwood

LOVE UNKNOWN by A.N. Wilson

THE TOOTH FAIRY by Graham Joyce

HUMAN CROQUET by Kate Atkinson

Love this thread. Thank you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 37August 24, 2024 12:10 AM

[quote] I have a friend who fucks the spine of brand new library books

I did not do that!

by Anonymousreply 38August 24, 2024 12:11 AM

R10, I love you. House of Mirth is one of my favorite novels, too, along with Howard's End and Passage to India. Wharton's prose was at its peak in HOM, and Lily Bart is a character I think of often in my daily life.

by Anonymousreply 39August 24, 2024 12:16 AM

I have never tired of L.P. Hartley's "The Go-Between." I read the book, then watch the movie, every other year or so.

by Anonymousreply 40August 24, 2024 1:40 AM

I had a literature professor in college who said she read Anthony Powell's A Dance to the Music of Time (all 12 novels) every year. Surely, she skimmed. I've read it twice, I think, and am often tempted to read it again.

by Anonymousreply 41August 24, 2024 6:57 PM

I can’t read

by Anonymousreply 42August 24, 2024 9:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!