Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has anyone been to the Maldives? Is it worth it?

I have to go to Dubai for business and I don't think I'll ever be closer (it's only a 4 hour flight from DXB) but curious if it's worth the hype. Obviously it looks amazing in pics.

by Anonymousreply 45October 3, 2024 3:47 PM

No. No one has visited the Maldives not even the Maldivians.

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2024 3:39 PM

I'm going to Dubai!

by Anonymousreply 2August 24, 2024 5:24 AM

I would not go unless you're Muslim. They have a terrible track record in regards to their non-Muslim citizens.

by Anonymousreply 3August 24, 2024 5:27 AM

I have not been but have friends that have and they stayed in one of the water bungalows that was gorgeous. I would go if you're 4 hours away. It's on our bucket list. Don't know anything about a gay scene tho.

by Anonymousreply 4August 24, 2024 5:39 AM

OP where would you be traveling from?

by Anonymousreply 5August 24, 2024 5:40 AM

I've been, and like you did it as a side trip. I used local ferries to visit the local islands (which are only just opening up for tourism). Most people go to the Maldives to visit the luxury resorts which are very isolated from the Maldivians. I suspect they are more for couples than solo visitors, but would be amazing for a beach break. The beaches were amazing, the food generally terrible (on the local islands) and the people quite reticent. Personally, I'd fly slightly further and visit Sri Lanka, or back the other way to Greece, for good beaches but more interesting (and welcoming) culture.

by Anonymousreply 6August 24, 2024 5:43 AM

In the Maldives all seems to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and all its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 7August 24, 2024 5:44 AM

As long as you suppress your homosexual tendencies, you’ll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 8August 24, 2024 6:01 AM

Stop and visit us in North Korea on the way home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 24, 2024 6:03 AM

It’s a very expensive way to lie on the beach. There’s not much else to do.

by Anonymousreply 10August 24, 2024 6:44 AM

Yes, OP - it is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 11August 24, 2024 7:18 AM

No, OP - it isn’t worth it.

by Anonymousreply 12August 24, 2024 7:18 AM

OP Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos could probably justify the cost. Joe Shmoe on minimum wage probably couldn’t.

Asking “is it worth it?” is thus, OP, a silly question.

by Anonymousreply 13August 24, 2024 7:21 AM

It's no Seychelles!

by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2024 8:09 AM

How is Seychelles?

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2024 8:21 AM

Oh no not Dubai.

by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2024 8:22 AM

R15, equally as beautiful and with a less problematic religion.

by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2024 8:24 AM

Thank you r17.

by Anonymousreply 18August 24, 2024 8:30 AM

Comoros and the Mozambique coast is what I'm curious about.

by Anonymousreply 19August 24, 2024 9:36 PM

White lotus has gone there

by Anonymousreply 20August 24, 2024 9:56 PM

My sister got engaged there last year. She said the place looks heavenly but that there's nothing to do but sunbathe and fuck.

by Anonymousreply 21August 24, 2024 10:05 PM

Go to Madagascar and visit the lemurs.

by Anonymousreply 22August 24, 2024 10:08 PM

The Maldives' concerning religious laws:

[quote] Non-Muslim citizens of other nations can practice their faith only in private and are barred from evangelizing or propagating their faith. All residents are required to teach their children the Muslim faith. The president, ministers, parliamentarians, and chiefs of the atolls are required to be Sunni Muslims. Government regulations are based on Islamic law. Only certified Muslim scholars can give fatawa.[1]

[quote] As of 2021, freedom of religion remained significantly restricted. Individual societal abuses and discrimination based on religious beliefs or practices have been reported.

by Anonymousreply 23August 24, 2024 10:14 PM

Thanks all. Didn't realize Maldives were Muslim. Maybe we'll stay away. My partner is tagging along with me. It's bad enough that we have to get two hotel rooms in Dubai - cause I ain't fuckin around with that shit.

by Anonymousreply 24August 26, 2024 6:26 PM

[Quote] As long as you suppress your homosexual tendencies, you’ll be fine.

Not what I’ve heard. A former colleague was a millennial and very outspoken and demonstrative about his gayness and he’s been — with his partner — multiple times and loved it.

by Anonymousreply 25August 26, 2024 6:31 PM

[quote] My partner is tagging along with me. It's bad enough that we have to get two hotel rooms in Dubai - cause I ain't fuckin around with that shit.

Which begs the question.

Why in FUCK'S SAKE would you ever visit Dubai, knowing that you can be imprisoned for being gay????

That makes no sense!!!

Take your money elsewhere, and give it to a place that actually respects gay people!!!!

by Anonymousreply 26August 26, 2024 8:28 PM

R26 if you read my original post, I said I was going to Dubai for BUSINESS...as in work, as in I have job, dumb fuck.

by Anonymousreply 27August 26, 2024 11:12 PM

You don't need 2 rooms in Dubai. My partner and I go there often and always stay in the same room with one bed.

by Anonymousreply 28October 3, 2024 1:10 PM

My husband and I have been to the Maldives. We stayed at the St Regis and loved it. Perfect place to unplug and unwind. We never felt uncomfortable and experienced no visible signs of homophobia. Several other gay couples were also guests during our visit and they seemed to be having as good a time as us. It's a bitch to get to the Maldives from the US, so go for it while you're within a 4 hour flight.

by Anonymousreply 29October 3, 2024 1:44 PM

I was wondering how Dubai, Qatar, and other places in the middle east handle gay couples at hotels. Same with Indonesia/Bali. I'm assuming it's ok with the big hotel chains as long as there's no massive public displays.

by Anonymousreply 30October 3, 2024 1:53 PM

Also, Mauritius may be a good one to consider, or just saying fuck it and flying all the way to Cape Town.

by Anonymousreply 31October 3, 2024 1:54 PM

What is this “business” you speak of, in Dubai?

by Anonymousreply 32October 3, 2024 2:08 PM

R23, fuck the Maldives.

by Anonymousreply 33October 3, 2024 2:10 PM

I cannot go someplace where the only thing to do is lay around by the water. There has to be some culture and museums or ruins to go see. When we were in Bali we spent little time at the beaches and never stepped foot in a nightclub. We were taking side trips to Borabador, batik factories and wandering around marketplaces. Of course, it helped that we had a villa with our own pool and staff. One day at beach, one evening at a surfside seafood place and one day on a boat excursion to try and snorkel was the extent of our beach activities. Everything else was more cultural.

Endless sunning is boring as hell plus the sun makes me too sleepy to function.

by Anonymousreply 34October 3, 2024 2:22 PM

Agree with R34 - I've heard several people say it's just a really expensive and hard to get to place to....lay out in the sun.

I think people go to the Maldives as some sort of status symbol - which I don't understand - because it IS expensive and time-consuming to go there.

Seems like a 'stunt' vacation for Instagram and nothing more. I need good restaurants, cultural things to do and something besides a beach. Nothing wrong with a beach vacation - but you can literally do that all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 35October 3, 2024 2:27 PM

Yes. Whenever I have a choice between a golden beach and a cloth printing factory—I choose the latter!

by Anonymousreply 36October 3, 2024 2:32 PM

Maldives is so 2014. The top getaway destination now is Manjuyod Sandbar in Negros Oriental, Philippines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 3, 2024 2:36 PM

That's nice for you R36 but people like different things plus we got a major discount on the textiles and had plans for them. Not everyone thinks roasting in the sun is fun. Are you European? British and Europeans think a great vacation is laying around hotel pools all day then going to clubs at night.

I grew up in a beach town so the allure is lost on me.

by Anonymousreply 38October 3, 2024 2:43 PM

Go now because in another few years or so it might be underwater. Thanks sea level rise 🙄

by Anonymousreply 39October 3, 2024 2:44 PM

[quote]British and Europeans think a great vacation is laying around hotel pools all day then going to clubs at night.

Keep us out of this gross generalisation!

by Anonymousreply 40October 3, 2024 2:48 PM

R35, it's definitely the vacation of choice for the instagram "influencers".

by Anonymousreply 41October 3, 2024 2:55 PM

I'm getting a sick headache.

Doesn't anyone know how to properly use LIE and LAY anymore? You do not LAY down. You do not LAY on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 42October 3, 2024 3:17 PM

Influencers are scammers and grifters. How are they scoring free trips?

by Anonymousreply 43October 3, 2024 3:25 PM

r42 True, you do not LAY down; but you can LAY YOURSELF (or any other object) down (as in "Now I lay me down to sleep").

The official spokesbird for the domestic fowl lobby has meantime contacted me and heatedly insists that I add that you [italic]can[/italic] LAY on the beach . . . if you're a hen.

by Anonymousreply 44October 3, 2024 3:46 PM

Deals with brands. It's a write-off for the brand. They also spend on trips to offset revenue for tax purposes.

by Anonymousreply 45October 3, 2024 3:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!