Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The strange case of Cindy James

Cindy James was a Canadian woman who reported being stalked by an unknown man beginning in 1982. Over the next seven years, she experienced a series of harassing phone calls, home invasions, and physical assaults at the hands of this unknown perpetrator.

Finally, she went missing in 1989, only to be found dead two weeks later from an overdose of morphine and benzodiazapines. She had been bound and left in the yard of an abandoned house.

British Columbia police spent millions of dollars investigating her stalking and later her death. Their conclusion was that there had never been a stalker. Cindy James had orchestrated the entire thing over the course of seven years, culminating in her death, which they believed to be suicide.

There's a fantastic podcast called Death by Unknown Event which details her story in depth. It's pretty clear that she was profoundly mentally ill, suffering from schizophrenia at the very least, and possibly Dissociative Identity Disorder. As bizarre as it sounds, there's little doubt that she did all of this to herself.

This is truly one of the strangest true crime stories I've ever come across.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 25, 2024 2:50 AM

Did she just hogtie herself then?

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2024 8:54 PM

She wasn't hog-tied, but yes, the theory is that she tied herself up, or possibly tied the bindings and slipped into them.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2024 9:03 PM

This is my Oscar..

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2024 9:11 PM

There was another case like this, in Wichita, in the 1980s, a woman named Ruth Finley who was stalked and persecuted for years by a man known as The Poet (as he sent her threatening letters in rhymes). Eventually the police discovered Ruth was The Poet, and she was the victim of a severe dissociative disorder due to her having been raped as a child.

Made into a book, a tv movie, another tv movie, and soon a documentary,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2024 9:17 PM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2024 9:38 PM

I believe she was stalked and harassed, probably by the 18-year older ex-spouse. She was an attractive blonde and seemed to have good reviews at work. She may, as well, have had psychological issues but I don't believe she committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2024 9:53 PM

I don't believe Rebecca Nalepa in Coronado CA committed suicide either.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2024 9:55 PM

It was the ex husband. He was a psychiatrist who had access to drugs. The harassment began when Cindy began dating a cop.

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2024 9:58 PM

R5. For FUCK'S sake! It's BRAWLEY!

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2024 10:07 PM

I just listened to two podcasts on this story - it’s nuts and incredibly compelling.

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2024 10:10 PM

I've read a bit about this case and don't believe she orchestrated it. R8 has it right, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2024 10:15 PM

She fabricated the whole thing

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2024 11:13 PM

I read the entire case OP linked at Wikipedia and what she dealt with was absolutely horrific.

There were clearly incidents where other people were present when an incident happened so to say she fabricated it all doesn’t seem possible.

Why wasn’t she given round-the-clock police security? The police could also have installed security cameras in every room in her house.

I can’t imagine her having to live its this for years on end. When I was in residence at university 40 years ago I had threatening calls for about 3 months. (I’m a man.) It was awful. I feel so badly for this poor woman.

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2024 11:45 PM

I'd completely forgotten about this case. I don't even remember where I first heard about it -- probably DL.

Dissociative identity disorder is a rather bogus diagnosis.

I agree with r8.

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2024 11:52 PM

[quote] The police could also have installed security cameras in every room in her house.

Not back then unfortunately

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2024 11:55 PM

There were no security cameras in the 80s? I find that hard to believe. I was an adult then, but I’m not sure myself.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2024 11:57 PM

I remember they featured this case on Unsolved Mysteries back in the 80s or 90s. Very strange. I think she did a lot of it to herself (the harassing phone calls clearly sound like her attempting to disguise her voice) but I’m not convinced she killed herself. The fact that she was dating a cop makes me think evidence could have been covered up.

by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2024 12:02 AM

Sounds Ike the Margaret Millar story come to life.

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2024 12:03 AM

She was found tied up more than once. One knot expert said about one of the times that he believed it highly unlikely she could do it herself. It's possible both things are true--there was a stalker and some of the incidents, like the fires, she could have done herself so the police wouldn't forget about her.

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2024 12:10 AM

I'm sure it would have been possible technologically r16, but probably too costly. Video surveillance was a big expensive setup back then. In 1987 I was 27 and had just bought my first condo for $68,000. Ground floor. Was burglarized less than a month later. Got a security system. I asked about cameras and was laughed at and quoted something ridiculously high. Then I laughed.

But we co-owners did seriously consider them for our common areas. I have a friend who still lives there and I visit often. They got their cameras after 2000.

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2024 12:19 AM

[Quote] Made into a book, a tv movie, another tv movie, and soon a documentary,

It was also an opera, three comic books, a smoke signal, and a billboard outside Ebbing, Missouri.

by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2024 12:33 AM

From that hairstyle, also she likely disassociated to the point that she thought she was (late country singer) Lynne Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 22August 22, 2024 12:47 AM

IS THIS THE COCKSUCKER RESIDENCE????

by Anonymousreply 23August 22, 2024 12:52 AM

Oh wow. Very fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 24August 22, 2024 1:01 AM

R22...I beg your pardon...

by Anonymousreply 25August 22, 2024 1:15 AM

Wow when you read the Wikipedia page it suggests there was an actual stalker as an unknown man was seen and phone calls made to Cindy’s boyfriend present while Cindy was also present. I wonder if the stalker was someone in law enforcement, high up, and thus ultimately murdered her and covered it up using her mental health as a shield.

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2024 1:21 AM

Btw this case sounds eerily familiar to an episode of SVU that I am almost positive it was inspired by this story.

by Anonymousreply 27August 22, 2024 1:23 AM

I think it was an Italian goblin pretending to be black people on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2024 1:42 AM

Cowbell can fix stealth trolling.

by Anonymousreply 29August 22, 2024 1:44 AM

I was a child of the early 2000s who grew up watching Unsolved Mysteries reruns on Lifetime, which is where I was first exposed to this case. It creeped me out beyond belief, especially because they showed photos of her hogtied dead body in the segment. I remember researching the case online and coming across the voice message that her alleged stalker left her, where he said "CINDY...DEAD.....MEAT.....SOON" in a gravelly, hideous voice. I believe this was on a website that Cindy's sister maintained. It scared the living shit out of me.

As an adult, I've still maintained an interest in true crime and unsolved mysteries like this. This remains one of the most haunting to me. I tracked down both the books that were written on it at the time (one by Neal Hal, the other by Ian Mulgrew) a couple of years ago and bought them online. They are long out of print and really expensive, but there are so many fascinating details in them that weren't widely publicized outside of them. One of the creepier details I remember was Cindy's claim that she witnessed her husband commit a murder while vacationing with him in the Gulf Islands, and dismember the corpses with an axe.

My feelings on whether or not she concocted all of this or if it was perpetrated against her are extremely conflicted. There is evidence that supports both viewpoints, which is why it is so frustrating and perplexing. There have been other DL threads on it before, and I seem to remember the consensus being that she'd done it herself. Whether someone was terrorizing her or she was mentally ill, the fact remains that what this woman went through for the last 7 years of her life must have been psychologically horrifying. It is a sad, disturbing story.

by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2024 2:05 AM

IIRC she was in bed with her boyfriend when the first threatening phone call occurred.

by Anonymousreply 31August 22, 2024 2:19 AM

A fascinating, mind bending, scary story—and a tragedy. I have long thought this case would make for one hell of a good miniseries if done right.

by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2024 2:27 AM

While to some extent it seems plausible that she was mentally ill and staging these things, what gives me pause from drawing that conclusion more than anything else is the fact that she was missing for so long before her body was discovered in the yard of the abandoned house. She disappeared on May 25th, and the coroner estimated her death to have been between June 2nd and June 8th. If she had been the culprit, where did she go for those 8–14 days? Nobody saw her, she wasn't at her home as she had a roomate/tenant who would've noticed; she never contact any of her family or friends either.

The abandoned house whose yard she was found in was in a suburban area at an intersection which apparently had a lot of foot traffic. I find it difficult to believe that nobody would have noticed anything for that many days. Her body would have been decomposing for several days, so there would have been a horrible odor that I think people would have noticed, right?

by Anonymousreply 33August 22, 2024 2:37 AM

In case you feel like having nightmares:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2024 2:48 AM

Based on the hairdo I would say that photo was taken quite a bit earlier than 1981 more like 1974 or earlier.

by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2024 3:08 AM

R35 I own the book that that photo was published in ("Who Killed Cindy James?" by Ian Mulgrew), and the author does date the photo as being from Christmas 1981. It does look like a photo that could've easily been taken in the '70s, but I'm not sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2024 3:18 AM

[quote]I remember researching the case online and coming across the voice message that her alleged stalker left her, where he said "CINDY...DEAD.....MEAT.....SOO - N" in a gravelly, hideous voice.

I've heard that voicemail. It's obviously a woman's voice trying to sound like a man.

by Anonymousreply 37August 22, 2024 3:59 AM

R31, she was having intimate relations before marriage?! The whore deserved it!

by Anonymousreply 38August 22, 2024 4:49 AM

Creepiest thing would be a combo of real stalker + doing some things herself as mentioned. Desperate to be believed and going a bit crazy herself especially if someone protected by LE.

by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2024 7:17 AM

She did it to herself. She also called herself. You can tell it’s her voice if you listen to the recordings.

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2024 7:21 AM

The really good one is the guy who owned a restaurant who was harassed no matter where he went by a child’s voice. He had come from a war torn country to the US and thought it may be connected. Unsolved Mysteries covered it back in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2024 7:22 AM

R40 but how do you explain the calls that were made when she was home with her ex husband and the new boyfriend. Who was calling during those times.

by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2024 7:24 AM

I believe her 100%. Why would anyone make up such a crazy story?

by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2024 7:26 AM

Munchhausen’s. She also made up a fiancé in France to her parents in letters. She was an attention whore.

by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2024 7:40 AM

She was also a drug addict.

by Anonymousreply 45August 22, 2024 7:40 AM

This was all her. There is zero compelling evidence that there was a perpetrator involved.

by Anonymousreply 46August 22, 2024 3:11 PM

Was she sexually assaulted?

by Anonymousreply 47August 22, 2024 3:29 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 48August 22, 2024 4:46 PM

It seems like a high effort undertaking, even for someone who is crazy...

by Anonymousreply 49August 22, 2024 4:52 PM

I really fell into a rabbit hole about this case online last night. I’d heard about it in the past but didn’t know the details.

I think the rational conclusion is that she did it all. But damn, that’s a lot for one person to pull off for that many years. There are bits and pieces to the story that corroborate an actual perpetrator, but they seem scant (the ex husband lurking in the alley, the one or was it two sightings by others of random men wandering around outside during one of the incidents, the calls with voices when she was in the room and someone else answered… I think there was one of those).

Fascinating and dark case…

by Anonymousreply 50August 22, 2024 5:53 PM

She made it up was nuts

by Anonymousreply 51August 22, 2024 6:08 PM

[Quote] A fascinating, mind bending, scary story

Maybe to a wilted pansy

by Anonymousreply 52August 22, 2024 6:13 PM

Dreading covered the story, he did an excellent job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 22, 2024 6:47 PM

So were the ex lovers just lying for her?

by Anonymousreply 54August 22, 2024 7:13 PM

You’re all into this Cindy James cunt why not Tracy Jo Shine?

by Anonymousreply 55August 22, 2024 7:15 PM

I feel like she may have had some accomplice some of the time helping her fake things.

How you would get someone to agree to do that, and be quiet about it, or not get caught… now there is a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 56August 22, 2024 7:23 PM

Maybe she indeed did every one of these things and kept getting away with it and never leaving evidence due to the same reasons serial killers are able to get away with crimes for years without ever getting caught: brazenness and the weird luck that seems to accompany it.

by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2024 7:26 PM

Another crazy bitch with Borderline personality disorder.

by Anonymousreply 58August 23, 2024 12:35 AM

Thanks, R4. Just ordered Little Girl Fly Away.

by Anonymousreply 59August 23, 2024 12:42 AM

If you all weren’t such asshokes you’d look into Tracy Jo Shine

by Anonymousreply 60August 23, 2024 7:03 PM

ASSHOLES!

by Anonymousreply 61August 23, 2024 7:03 PM

This could make a creepy-as-hell movie in the right hands.

I’m thinking Todd Haynes’ moody, slow SAFE vibes…

by Anonymousreply 62August 23, 2024 7:09 PM

Stupid

by Anonymousreply 63August 23, 2024 7:20 PM

Cindy James knew.

by Anonymousreply 64August 23, 2024 8:02 PM

[quote]Made into a book, a tv movie, another tv movie, and soon a documentary,

[quote]It was also an opera, three comic books, a smoke signal, and a billboard outside Ebbing, Missouri.]

R21 ROTFL

by Anonymousreply 65August 23, 2024 8:26 PM

[quote]If you all weren’t such asshokes you’d look into Tracy Jo Shine

Get your own thread, Tracy

by Anonymousreply 66August 23, 2024 8:29 PM

What demented troll is trying to hijack this thread and make it about Tracy Jo Shine? And more importantly, what at all does her case have to do with this one? They're not even remotely similar.

Here's the entirety of the Tracy Jo Shine story: She was a pathetic junkie whose white supremacist, drug dealer boyfriend killed her and dissolved her body in a vat of acid. The end. There is literally nothing to discuss. Now fuck off, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2024 9:01 PM

Eat me!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2024 9:24 PM

Fuck you, cunt !!

by Anonymousreply 69August 23, 2024 9:51 PM

Oh, really? You expect me to believe that this poor woman concocted an entire seven-year nightmare all by herself? Stalked, assaulted, and tormented, only to end up bound and dead in some godforsaken yard? And the police, after wasting millions, have the gall to call it suicide? How convenient. Blame the victim, label her mentally ill, and sweep the whole sordid affair under the rug. I find it highly suspicious, to say the least. If she was truly suffering from such severe mental illnesses, where were the safeguards? Where was the intervention? Something doesn’t add up. Either the system failed her spectacularly, or there’s far more to this story than what they’re letting on. And I, for one, am not buying this so-called conclusion.

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2024 9:56 PM

Give it up r70

You’re obviously limited

by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2024 10:01 PM

I’ve had enough of this stupid ass thread and the morons replying to it have to be mentally challenged or have Alzheimer’s Disease.

by Anonymousreply 72August 23, 2024 10:07 PM

R70 Read the details about the case, silly.

by Anonymousreply 73August 23, 2024 10:32 PM

Fuck you!

by Anonymousreply 74August 23, 2024 11:03 PM

R70. You're a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 75August 24, 2024 9:28 PM

The strange, weird ass op

by Anonymousreply 76August 24, 2024 9:33 PM

R10, can you share the names of the podcasts? I want to listen!

by Anonymousreply 77August 24, 2024 9:45 PM

Drop dead

by Anonymousreply 78August 24, 2024 9:55 PM

DEAD MEAT SOON

by Anonymousreply 79August 25, 2024 2:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!