Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Richard Simmons died of heart disease

And we thought he was so healthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2024 7:45 PM

He had just turned 76. It's not like he dropped dead at 45 due to heart disease. It's conceivable your heart can only take so much at a certain age. He may have other comorbidities that we don't know about.

by Anonymousreply 1August 21, 2024 7:27 PM

And the Big Mac eating Trump still lives. It just ain’t fair.

by Anonymousreply 2August 21, 2024 7:27 PM

Will Deal-A-Meal customers be able to get their money back?

by Anonymousreply 3August 21, 2024 7:45 PM

Flatlining to the Oldies!

by Anonymousreply 4August 21, 2024 7:47 PM

He was a former fattie. Eating disorders will destroy the heart.

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2024 8:17 PM

OP, not exactly. They also said cause of death was "accidental" due to recent falls as well as heart disease.

[quote] ...Richard's death was accidental due to complications from recent falls and heart disease as a contributing factor. The toxicology report was negative other than medication Richard had been prescribed.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2024 8:24 PM

So sad. He helped so many people.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2024 8:25 PM

I listened to that podcast about his disappearance from public life a few years ago. At first, I thought it was entertaining. And then it was just icky. Lots of speculation about him transitioning and about his personal life. It felt outrageously intrusive since Richard clearly did not want to be "found."

He helped a lot of women. I remember watching middle aged ladies who were ridiculously happy while working out with him. It was a time before most women had gym memberships and he introduced them to exercise. He also could laugh at himself - setting himself up for insults from Letterman and Howard Stern with mock outrage.

He was a good guy and I hope he had a good life.

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2024 8:29 PM

It's a crime he wasn't mentioned in the GH rap. And Annie won't. . .

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2024 10:46 PM

He probably ate like a bird to keep his weight in check.

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2024 11:40 PM

So much for it being a "live it" instead of a "die it" . Did he have CHF?

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2024 11:44 PM

There is only so much you can do with genetics

by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2024 1:23 AM

I'm waiting for Dr. Ruth's coroner's report to be leaked to the public. I'm curious as to what she died from - was she really a coke head ?

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2024 1:26 AM

R12 - yes - we don't know what his genetics were for his heart. There is a thing called Israeli paradox, where they have a high occurrence of heart disease in spite of eating a diet relatively low in saturated fats.

He could also have exercised a lot to offset some eating disorder or behaviors.

He was a fat kid - those behaviors and food likes don't just disappear. It's possible that he still indulged in unhealthy food.

At the end of the day, he was 76 - not really really old, but not an age that it's out of the ordinary to die.

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2024 1:31 AM

It’s funny. Minor but very bad falls seem to complicate elder peoples health more than we realize. I suggest all my older family members take it easy. And don’t do things like rush and stuff all the time for events. You can be on CP time, don’t be rushing and fall down them steps.

I remember one time I hit my head on a ship. Some low hanging insulation that I didn’t notice. I hit the shit out of my head. So much so it made me angry and later on I felt delirious. It was scary. I can imagine if the same thing had happen to an older person. Isn’t that how that actress died. I cannot remember her name for the life of me. It was about 15 years ago and she was only forty something.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2024 1:33 AM

Good-as long as he’s dead.

by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2024 1:45 AM

R16 ???? I have actually never heard anyone say a bad thing about Richard Simmons. From celebs to regular people. Maybe straight guys making a joke or two. What gives.

by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2024 1:48 AM

[quote]At the end of the day, he was 76 - not really really old, but not an age that it's out of the ordinary to die.

Certainly not really old in 2024. My grandmother died at the age of 72 in 1973 and I recall mourners at her funeral saying 'she lived a very long life'. 51 years ago, it was indeed.

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2024 1:48 AM

R18 - agreed - it feels like everyone is living to their 80's nowadays. My grandma died at 74 and my grandpa at 77 - in the early 80s and that was considered a reasonable life expectancy.

It's wild when you read Wikis of older celebrities and major business people - it was more like mid to late 60's.

Oh - and they looked like SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2024 2:04 AM

r13, she was on heroin in the 80's and methadone for almost 20 years...I believe she was clean at the time of her death.

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2024 2:10 AM

Them feels.

by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2024 2:16 AM

Richard Simmons, Dr. Ruth, and Phil Donahue... it's been a bad summer for '80s icons.

by Anonymousreply 22August 22, 2024 7:03 AM

[quote] I listened to that podcast about his disappearance from public life a few years ago.

What podcast?

by Anonymousreply 23August 22, 2024 7:16 AM

R22 Dr Ruth and Phil Donahue were both pushing 90. We aren’t octopuses.

by Anonymousreply 24August 22, 2024 7:31 AM

Actually they live very short lives. Enter some marine animal that lives forever.

by Anonymousreply 25August 22, 2024 7:32 AM

Went to McDonald’s one or too many times.

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2024 9:24 AM

What is sad is that he seemed to have no one in his life but the housekeeper. He had no boyfriend, no partner, just his dogs. He must've been so lonely.

by Anonymousreply 27August 22, 2024 10:11 AM

R24 Dr. Ruth wasn't "pushing 90" - she was pulling it behind her. She was 96.

by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2024 11:50 AM

He was morbidly obese when he was young, then literally starved himself to become thin.

When you do something like that, it permanently damages your heart, so no matter how healthy a life you lead following something like that, you can't undo the damage.

RIP, Richard.

by Anonymousreply 29August 22, 2024 12:03 PM

Has Louise Hoven commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2024 12:18 PM

Complications from the fall were the primary cause, the heart disease was secondary. His maid begged him to got to the hospital and get looked at but he didn’t want to because it was his birthday.

He kept in touch with friends and fans thought email and phone calls. He did what a lot of Americans do in their late 60s and retired though it seemed like he was starting to slowly get back into the spotlight. People are shocked nowadays when a high profile person voluntarily takes themselves out of the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 31August 22, 2024 12:51 PM

He was 76 which is a normal life expectancy in the US, you fucking kweens. It may surprise you to know that by that age, most people have heart disease. But you're all ancient so you don't want to accept that.

by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2024 1:08 PM

I also have to wonder if he had much joint damage from the aerobics workouts. Yes, I know he was always in jogging shoes, but even with supposed 'low-impact' your joints can take a beating.

He was teaching several classes a day for many years.

You just have to look at dancers - most have issues in their 60's and 70's.

by Anonymousreply 33August 22, 2024 4:55 PM

What about reports that he was dealing with skin cancer?

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2024 6:38 PM

R31 He didn't retire according to plan. As I recall he had dropped out of public view very abruptly. Some assumed he had a stroke or some other debilitating health issue.

by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2024 6:40 PM

Has Rachel Ames released a statement yet?

by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2024 7:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!