Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best 6 1/2 minutes of Mommie Dearest

"There's a liquor store, to the right."

"I should have known you'd know where to find the boys, AND the booze!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 4, 2024 4:38 PM

This deserves an honorable mention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2024 8:10 PM

You rarely see this achievement in film, period!

Thousands and thousands of films have come and gone in the last forty plus years, but "Barbara, PLEASE! PLEASE, Barbara!" is still here!

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2024 8:36 PM

I love the intro, too.

I can smell the coffee percolating!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2024 10:14 PM

I always find the booze but never the boys. Turns out in these parts, you need lots of booze to see the boys.

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2024 10:23 PM

R3, that sequence is actually an excellent piece of filmmaking. So much information communicated about the character without a line uttered. If only the remainder of the film had been that good...

by Anonymousreply 5August 21, 2024 12:14 AM

I like when Barbara Bennett From Redbook and Carol Ann rush in to pull Joan off that little cunt Christina, and Joan flings Carol Ann off her, looking like a demented drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 6August 21, 2024 1:04 AM

That guy has big dick written all over him, R1.

by Anonymousreply 7August 21, 2024 2:41 AM

Christina should've risked a slap by refuting Joan's gaslighting and retorted by saying something like "I only know where the liquor stores and the boys are because you showed me where to go" or something like that.

Or she could've trolled Joan by bringing up her worst performances every chance she got. By alas Christina was not a DLer.

by Anonymousreply 8August 21, 2024 2:58 AM

My brother and I always quote the "I'll get the [italic]cards[/italic]...out on time, okay?" line. Diana Scarwid delivers it so deliciously.

by Anonymousreply 9August 21, 2024 3:33 AM

Barbara PLEASE! PLEASE Barbara!

by Anonymousreply 10August 21, 2024 3:34 AM

I will never get how in post production or even during filming the producers and director didn’t realize this performance was so over the top. Why wouldn’t anybody reel her in. This is supposed to be a serious story and it’s so overly dramatic it’s comedy.

by Anonymousreply 11August 21, 2024 3:53 AM

Maybe they would have. If someone had been nice enough to help her through the film, like a gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 12August 21, 2024 3:59 AM

R11 She probably pissed off to many people that they rushed through shooting and editing so they could get it over with ASAP and wouldn't have to deal with her for long.

by Anonymousreply 13August 21, 2024 4:10 AM

Diana Scarwid played a crooked lab tech years later on Law and Order, and she channeled these scenes during a confrontation with S Epatha Merkerson. I was expecting her to say, “DON’T. YOU. ACT. FOR. ME!”

by Anonymousreply 14August 21, 2024 4:14 AM

R11 It’s been said that Dunaway’s sway over the film was so strong, Frank Perry was essentially powerless to direct her too much, because she could have him fired at an instant. Naturally, Faye can’t accept responsibility for anything so continues to point the finger of blame at everyone but herself.

However, if the film had turned out more nuanced, people probably wouldn’t still be talking about it.

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2024 4:20 AM

R14 ahah That’s where I know her from. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2024 4:21 AM

There used to be an authenticated DLer with the screen name “Barbara Bennett From Redbook.”

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2024 4:22 AM

I love Diana Scarwid’s line delivery style. Her performances in Extremities and Psycho III are quotable too.

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2024 4:26 AM

Diana is also over the top in the Brittany Murphy TV movie Tribute.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2024 4:30 AM

I love that sound effect while Joan is strangling Christina, of her head hitting the ground. THUMP...THUMP.... LMAO

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2024 4:31 AM

Christina is such a cunt you have to applaud Joan for smacking the dogshit out of her.

Mara Hobel, to me, is the best actress in the movie-she plays Christina like the demon spawn Christina Crawford is in real life.

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2024 4:38 AM

A. Ashley Hoff interviewed the stuntwomen who performed part of the strangulation scene for his book. Apparently it was rumoured for years the stunts were done by men.

Diana’s double requested bubble wrap beneath the carpet to soften her landing. Unfortunately, it all popped after the first take, so she hit solid floor afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2024 4:59 AM

[quote] Diana’s double requested bubble wrap beneath the carpet to soften her landing. Unfortunately, it all popped after the first take, so she hit solid floor afterwards.

She should have requested some nicer undergarments, than those old fashioned granny panties she was wearing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2024 5:04 AM

Barbara Bennett is here from New York!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2024 5:16 AM

Who can forget the board meeting?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2024 5:26 AM

Don't know how many are aware of this, but DL's background is fashioned on the iconic blazer in OP's clip.

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2024 5:28 AM

I've created a bizarre triple feature of Faye Dunaway films that I like to watch: Mommie Dearest, The Eyes of Laura Mars and The Disappearance of Aimee.

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2024 5:42 AM

Underrated scene but one of my favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2024 5:55 AM

That scene is certainly not underrated. It’s so frequently quoted and referenced by gays.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2024 6:04 AM

Is The Diana Scarwids taken as a punk band name? 😁🤘

by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2024 6:07 AM

Agreed, r21. I've always the child actor was more believable and had better chemistry with Fay than Diana Scarwind. Although I can see the entertainment value of a hammy 25 year old actor playing a 16 year old while wearing a bad wig and the clothing of a young child.

by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2024 6:14 AM

This always makes me laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2024 6:16 AM

I was just banned from another forum for using a gif of “Why must [italic]EVERYTHING [/italic] be a CONTEST?” when there was drama going on because someone thought using a gif from a movie about child abuse was not funny.

by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2024 6:35 AM

The “mad at the dirt” scene is a DL standard. Surprised no one has brought it up.

And yeah, the bring down that bitch of a bearing wall and put a window where it OUGHT to be! That’s a classic and gets its due.

by Anonymousreply 34August 21, 2024 7:54 AM

[quote] I will never get how in post production or even during filming the producers and director didn’t realize this performance was so over the top. Why wouldn’t anybody reel her in. This is supposed to be a serious story and it’s so overly dramatic it’s comedy.—HolierThanThou

Hey junkie, since you like to bandy around the word "faggot" when responding to people on other threads, perhaps this isn't the thread for you. In fact, maybe this isn't the site for you. In any case, no one cares what you have to say about anything.

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2024 7:58 AM

Someone really needs to give Faye a dose of tough love and tell her to get over her dislike of regularly talking about Mommie Dearest (although she needed numerous doses of tough for other issues). If she did regular panels and screenings of the movie throughout the year she would have to worry significantly less about income.

by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2024 8:11 AM

R33 LOL, what a snowflake.

I remember there were similar complaints when the doll was released.

“OMG THIS IS OFFENSIVE, U DONT MAKE FUN OF CHILD ABUSE!”

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2024 9:39 AM

R32 minus the sort of singing she does in that scene, I can imagine the scene of Joan screaming at her kids and maid over the noise in the morning definitely happened numerous times in real life.

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2024 1:18 PM

[quote] Someone really needs to give Faye a dose of tough love and tell her to get over her dislike of regularly talking about Mommie Dearest (although she needed numerous doses of tough for other issues). If she did regular panels and screenings of the movie throughout the year she would have to worry significantly less about income.

You bring up a good point, and highlight an important distinction between actors of today and yesterday.

Today's actors LOVE doing conventions and appearances, because they have learned that they can make a ton of money doing them.

Events like ComicCon and other conventions for specific television shows like Supernatural or the Walking Dead, can allow the actors to make as much money or more than they did from the shows that they were in.

And then there are old-time actors like Faye, who wouldn't deign or dare to do a convention, because it's beneath them. They are ACTORS, and not circus performers.

Things have really changed for this profession, in how actors see themselves.

But yeah, if Faye ever attended a Mommie Dearest Convention, she would make a TON of money by just embracing the madness.

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2024 2:08 PM

I don’t see how she doesn’t acquiesce to the legend and do conventions either. Imagine the throngs of fans waiting in lines to see her, in Joan drag, crying just by being near her, reciting lines from the film to her verbatim while willingly shelling out the sky-high prices just for her to scribble her name on a tag hanging from the wire hangers that they’ve brought. She would make a mint, and it would probably do wonders for her ego.

by Anonymousreply 40August 21, 2024 2:23 PM

[quote] I don’t see how she doesn’t acquiesce to the legend and do conventions either. Imagine the throngs of fans waiting in lines to see her, in Joan drag, crying just by being near her, reciting lines from the film to her verbatim while willingly shelling out the sky-high prices just for her to scribble her name on a tag hanging from the wire hangers that they’ve brought. She would make a mint, and it would probably do wonders for her ego.

I think because in her mind, she is ACADEMY AWARD WINNER Faye Dunaway, and not some cheap performer who signs autographs at a lowly fan convention.

Old time actors really took pride in the "craft" of acting, and in the integrity of the performance.

It's a marked difference between how older actors saw themselves, versus how young actors see themselves.

We're in the social media era, where actors are on Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, and even OnlyFans. Not to mention the conventions.

Today's actors are all about the money, whereas older actors were about the performance.

I think that's why she won't do a Mommie Dearest convention. Which sucks, but I respect her for that.

Today's actors are sellouts.

by Anonymousreply 41August 21, 2024 2:30 PM

How the hell could the directors/producers have seen the dailies on this and not realized what they were making?

by Anonymousreply 42August 21, 2024 3:25 PM

R39 Faye is likely permanently embarrassed by the performance when she just needs to own it.

by Anonymousreply 43August 21, 2024 4:30 PM

Like you should own your meth use, junkie.

by Anonymousreply 44August 21, 2024 4:41 PM

[quote] I like when Barbara Bennett From Redbook and Carol Ann rush in to pull Joan off that little cunt Christina, and Joan flings Carol Ann off her, looking like a demented drag queen.

Carol Ann looked like a ragdoll, which I think was unintended, but added to the comical and campy effect of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 45August 21, 2024 5:20 PM

CHILD ABUSE IS NOT CAMPY OR FUN!

by Anonymousreply 46August 21, 2024 5:34 PM

At this point Faye should be a lot less high strung at her age and shouldn't give a fuck about most things. She has a max of about 10-15 years left on Earth. She should embrace the nostalgia and do private signings at cons.

Sure it'll mostly be gay men with mostly Mommie Dearest merch for her to sign. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them even brought the book for her to sign even though she was only involved with the film. But she'd make a good chunk of money nonetheless.

Conventions and tv (Netflix, Lifetime, Hallmark, etc.) are quick easy money for aging legends (Faye) or washed up hasbeens who are either old or not getting quality roles anymore. It's a huge dip compared to what they were getting in their prime but fame is like that for most and beggars can't be choosers.

by Anonymousreply 47August 21, 2024 5:36 PM

[quote] She has a max of about 10-15 years left on Earth.

That's optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 48August 21, 2024 5:38 PM

[quote] Sure it'll mostly be gay men with mostly Mommie Dearest merch for her to sign

I thought I fired that homosexual boy.

by Anonymousreply 49August 21, 2024 5:45 PM

Joan should have retuned Christina to the orphanage, and exchanged her for some faglette; who would worship her, keep her out of harsh lighting/makeup, and (most importantly)NOT WRITE A NASTY TELL ALL ABOUT MOMMIE.

by Anonymousreply 50August 21, 2024 6:03 PM

R32, I am dying laughing at work now, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 51August 21, 2024 6:12 PM

The way Faye stomps Crawfords legendary fuck-me ankle strap shoes on that polished floor when she takes Christina to "the other room" is impressive,scary and funny.

by Anonymousreply 52August 21, 2024 8:02 PM

Faye would make a killing if she agreed to appear at something like the Razzies and jokingly announced the wrong winner in character as Joan Crawford. She could then do a press tour poking fun of the character.

by Anonymousreply 53August 21, 2024 10:26 PM

My mom and sister used to watch this film all the time growing up. I would leave the room. Then I when I discovered DL it was referenced so much. Anyways, the film wasn’t a huge box office success but made money because people were going to see it as an unintended comedy. Paramount even reworked its promotional trailer referencing as much.

by Anonymousreply 54August 21, 2024 10:42 PM

R47 at this point, it’s not even about additional money for her. I certainly would try to cash in on the films legendary camp riot status, but I’m certainly more practical than Faye. She regrets doing the movie. At the time she thought it would bring her another Oscar, or at least a nomination, but it turned into something she loathes, and has no sense of humor about. I think she feels shes being laughed at, and not understood what she was trying to accomplish with the role, and she will go to her grave feeling that way. She’s brought entertainment to many gay men and people for over forty years. It should be enough for her, but it never will be.

by Anonymousreply 55August 21, 2024 11:12 PM

Love Faye screaming like Tarzan and practically beating her chest. The whole scene is very Naked Gun-Ish. In fact it reminds me of the Girl Scout bar room brawl in Airplane! released a year prior. Why is Diana styled like she's five years old when her character is supposed to be in High School?

The movie is a mess. It's entertaining, but it's poorly directed and poorly written.

Faye had a good sense of humor about it in the Actors Studio episode she did in the late 90's. She talked about it for a few minutes. She was supposed to be writing a book about the making of the movie, but it either was never finished or she decided not to release the finished product. Other than that, I'm not sure what people want her to do.

I agree with R41.

by Anonymousreply 56August 21, 2024 11:26 PM

[quote] it turned into something she loathes, and has no sense of humor about. I think she feels shes being laughed at

But we kind of are laughing at her.

Well, not at her personally. Just at her performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2024 12:23 AM

Love how in the R23 screenshot, Faye almost resembles a young Queen Elizabeth gone berserk on a teenaged rebellious Prince Charles. I mean, she doesn’t even look, move, talk or act like Joan Crawford in this cinematic mess, anyway. More like maybe an even more demonic Mercedes McCambridge.

by Anonymousreply 58August 22, 2024 1:11 AM

Faye caked in kabuki makeup squatting like a sumo wrestler with that can of soap in her hand is by far the most memorable scene of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2024 2:47 AM

I like when Joan locks Christina in the changing room, next to the pool.

The little cunt deserved that, AND the whack on her ass!!

QUITTER!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2024 4:07 AM

At the end of the "Don't fuck with me, fellas!" monologue, she says: "The sword ... cuts both ways." I like how she said that.

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2024 4:10 AM

In the original script, Joan’s favourite restaurant was Chasen’s, but they couldn’t secure the location. Perino’s was chosen because they were accomodating to film crews and easier to shoot in.

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2024 4:44 AM

I loved Fay Dunaway as Joan.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2024 4:47 AM

[quote] In the original script, Joan’s favourite restaurant was Chasen’s, but they couldn’t secure the location. Perino’s was chosen because they were accomodating to film crews and easier to shoot in.

Dammit, Chasen's is MY PLACE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2024 4:49 AM

Why was LB Mayer such a cold, almost threatening character in the movie? By all accounts Joan and him had a warm relationship. Even after she left they would attend movie premieres and eat out at restaurants together.

by Anonymousreply 65August 22, 2024 12:28 PM

R65 anyone who bases their opinion on the saga of the Crawfords and the life of Joan is working with fool’s gold.

by Anonymousreply 66August 22, 2024 12:52 PM

65 Artistic/Dramatic license. Accuracy is often overlooked or ignored in favor of something that would be more asthetically pleasing or dramatic to add to the plot.

by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2024 8:30 PM

That must be true of the scripted but un-filmed Ice Follies of 1939 scene. I recall watching the original film to see the ice skating scene but Joan does not do so. So the version in Mommie Dearest would have been inaccurate. Also before Christina's time.

by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2024 10:52 PM

My mom and sister used to watch this film all the time growing up. I would leave the room. Then I when I discovered DL it was referenced so much. Anyways, the film wasn’t a huge box office success but made money because people were going to see it as an unintended comedy. Paramount even reworked its promotional trailer referencing as much.—HolierThanThou

Wow, thanks for this amazing information. None of us on here ever heard about this movie's history. In fact, none of us were even around. Actually, I don't think there's a person on DL who is at all familiar with this film. What would we do without you, junkie?

Oh yeah, enjoy threads about 100% more. Now fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 69August 24, 2024 12:14 AM

R68 Yes, had that scene been filmed, it wouldn’t have been reflective of the actual movie at all. It was designed to show what a trooper Joan was, but budget cuts prevented it from being shot.

I kind of wish they’d done at least one “Baby Jane” scene. Imagine Dunaway brawling with a Bette Davis look-a-like.

by Anonymousreply 70August 24, 2024 2:49 AM

[quote] I kind of wish they’d done at least one “Baby Jane” scene. Imagine Dunaway brawling with a Bette Davis look-a-like.

OMG, the movie was campy enough!

Adding in a fight scene from the Baby Jane set, would have shot it into HIGH CAMP territory, or even made it the campiest movie of all time!

by Anonymousreply 71August 24, 2024 2:53 AM

R70 I can imagine they didn’t want to risk getting grief from Bette Davis.

by Anonymousreply 72August 24, 2024 3:57 AM

Right, r65. I could never understand why he refused to walk her to her car. He was very obsequious when she walked into the office but then he stared at her like a dead-eyed psycho when she asked him for a tiny courtesy. I know the entire exchange was fictional but he was a very hard to pin down as a character.

by Anonymousreply 73August 24, 2024 5:18 PM

Those Pepsi executives should have told her they had bought her porn tapes and would release them to the public if she opened her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 74August 24, 2024 6:04 PM

I figured LB would not walk Joan to her car because he considered that too much of a loss of his power. He could have asked someone else to. But he didn't even answer her to say no.

by Anonymousreply 75August 24, 2024 8:45 PM

R36 Faye needing numerous doses of tough love is quite the UNDERSTATEMENT.

by Anonymousreply 76August 26, 2024 7:39 AM

Someone wrote this in the comments section of this video clip:

[quote] @berjaboy 1 year ago

[quote] I remember being a young kid in the 70s, everyone thought Crawford actually owned and ran Pepsi. In casual conversions it wasn't uncommon to hear people saying; Oh yeah, Joan Crawford runs and owns the whole thing.

Is that true?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 27, 2024 4:55 AM

[quote] Joan Crawford 1968 Interview | Talks "Baby Jane," Clark Gable

This is a pretty cool interview.

I love the PEPSI product placement that Joan did.

So subtle!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 27, 2024 4:58 AM

While I don’t doubt Dunaway became absolutely more unhinged as she got older, I absolutely believe Dunaway dialed up her diva behavior at times just to ensure that people have anecdotes about her “craziness” when she’s no longer with us.

by Anonymousreply 79August 30, 2024 9:44 PM

I have to laugh when Joan says she had no voice lessons. Her coached voice was famous.

by Anonymousreply 80August 30, 2024 10:45 PM

An abusive alcoholic actress with a history of mental illness portraying an abusive alcoholic actress with a history of mental illness! GENIUS!

by Anonymousreply 81August 31, 2024 4:10 AM

Mommie!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 82August 31, 2024 4:12 AM

R79 100%. I can absolutely believe Faye would be the type to do this even being genuinely bipolar.

by Anonymousreply 83September 4, 2024 9:28 AM

R15 it also didn’t help matters that her boyfriend (eventual husband then ex-husband) Terry O’Neill was a producer, and he was responsible for dialing up Joan’s meanness in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 84October 3, 2024 10:09 AM

R84 The final film actually softened Joan compared to the original Tracy Hochner script!

by Anonymousreply 85October 3, 2024 10:11 AM

I wonder if Joan ever tapped Steve Forrest’s brother Dana Andrews when they made a movie together in the 40s

by Anonymousreply 86October 3, 2024 11:36 AM

The final film actually softened Joan compared to the original Tracy Hochner script!

Maybe that's the one Anne Bancroft called a hatchet job.

by Anonymousreply 87October 4, 2024 6:06 AM

R87 It was.

Bancroft also dropped out due to alleged tensions with Frank Perry (he wasn’t attached when she first showed interest) and because Mel Brooks talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 88October 4, 2024 6:11 AM

[quote]Right, [R65]. I could never understand why he refused to walk her to her car. He was very obsequious when she walked into the office but then he stared at her like a dead-eyed psycho when she asked him for a tiny courtesy.

Yes, the entire exchange is fictional. Mayer was planning on re-signing Joan, but at a lower salary, instead she bought out her contract which still had one film owed to MGM at great expense and left on her own terms. She did indeed remain good friends with Mayer until his death in 1957.

In real life, Mayer, the highest paid man in America for a number of years was eased out by the front office of Loew's Inc. and by the hiring of Dore Schary. In the summer of1951 Mayer left the MGM lot for the last time with very modest fanfare. Apparently "On his final day, as he walked down a red carpet laid out in front of the Thalberg Building, executives, actors and staff lined the path and applauded him for his contributions." I read somewhere some of the MGM players found it too small a farewell for this once powerful man. We don't know if anyone walked him to his car, or not.

by Anonymousreply 89October 4, 2024 6:18 AM

Who's Dore Schary?

by Anonymousreply 90October 4, 2024 4:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!