Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

King Charles cuts Prince Andrew’s private security

Prince Andrew’s future at Royal Lodge is looking grim.

The Sun on Sunday reported that his older brother, King Charles III, did not renew the contract for the Duke of York's private security team. It expires in the Fall.

According to multiple reports, no replacement security detail has been lined up.

The Sun reported that the king, who is battling cancer, has been paying for Andrew’s security at Royal Lodge after the prince lost his police protection in 2022. The security team is said to cost Charles, 75, nearly $4 million annually.

A spokesperson for Buckingham Palace did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Royal experts previously said that the king wants Andrew to leave his palatial 31-room home where he resides with his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson. The property was home to their grandmother, the Queen Mother, until she died in 2002.

According to The UK Times, Andrew paid over $1 million to take over the home in 2003. He has reportedly spent over $9 million on repairs and renovations. He currently pays an annual rent of about $337,000. The property is worth a reported $37 million and requires an estimated $503,000 annually for upkeep.

The Times reported that when Andrew dies, the lease can only be passed to members of his immediate family, which includes his two daughters, Princess Beatrice, 36, and Princess Eugenie, 34.

Andrew, 64, is said to be digging his heels, refusing to leave Royal Lodge for the smaller Frogmore Cottage.

The former U.K. home of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle remains empty more than a year after the couple was asked to vacate. It was previously reported that the disgraced duke was expected to downsize following his ties to late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

The Times noted that if Andrew were to move into Frogmore Cottage, security would be provided, as it falls within the secured grounds surrounding Windsor Castle.

But a decision might be made soon. The king was welcomed with a small ceremony on Aug. 19 in Scotland. He will be staying at Balmoral Castle for his annual summer retreat. The Times reported that Andrew is expected to join him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 28, 2024 1:41 AM

Andrew is a fool to think he's up to playing hardball with the Firm.

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2024 8:35 AM

[quote] The Times noted that if Andrew were to move into Frogmore Cottage, security would be provided, as it falls within the secured grounds surrounding Windsor Castle.

Isn't Royal Lodge also on the grounds surrounding Windsor Castle?

Why would the Queen Mother have lived in a home that is not on secured grounds?

Sounds like a bogus excuse, to me.

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2024 9:01 AM

I think the QM would have lived in a home that is not secured grounds because she, regardless of where she'd choose to live, would have had her security detail as the former queen consort.

by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2024 9:46 AM

..."that is not ON secured grounds.."

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2024 9:46 AM

It seems reasonably clear that 'the secured grounds surrounding Windsor Castle' means a specific minimum security perimeter that is always maintained, close to the castle, and Frogmore Cottage lies within this and is covered automatically. Royal Lodge is further out and so not automatically covered and is an add-on as and when and thus adds to the basic costs. As noted, the QM would have had full security cover wherever she was, so that wasn't an issue when she was there.

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2024 9:53 AM

If Andrew is pushed too hard he might go the tell all book route, he's not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2024 10:00 AM

[QUOTE]The security team is said to cost Charles, 75, nearly $4 million annually.

That's quite an expenditure. Does he leave Royal Lodge these days?

by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2024 10:08 AM

Charles can afford it, R7.

by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2024 4:55 PM

I thought the Queen Mother lived in Clarence House.

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2024 5:29 PM

Why do these articles always imagine that the UK uses US dollars?

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2024 7:00 PM

I guess Charles can finally get some payback for not being Mummy's favorite without looking childish and petty.

by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2024 10:35 PM

Andrew is living a parasitic lifestyle these days post legal settlement. He does nothing to further and support the BRF, instead is money pit.

His days living this lifestyle are rapidly drawing to a close.

by Anonymousreply 12August 20, 2024 10:42 PM

Oh, no! How is going to close his curtains and open his doors, now? Seriously, after the scandal over the royal family getting an additional £60 million annually to keep them in style, plus the increased funds for the refurbishing of Buckingham palace, I guess that a token gesture was necessary in order to calm the waters and let's face it, nobody is going to be outraged if Andrew is forced to endure a little bit of public humiliation.

The BRF know very well how to play the media, even if collectively they don't have more than ten brain cells. However, they probably have the strongest survival instinct in history and are willing to do ANYTHING necessary to hold on to power. Andrew is now a liability and thus, if they need to pretend to cut him out in order to safe face, they will do it without hesitating.

by Anonymousreply 13August 20, 2024 10:57 PM

Times are rough, times are hard, here's your fucking Christmas card.

by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2024 11:04 PM

So what could Charles threaten to do to him if he doesn't move into Toadmore? Maybe if they give it a better sounding name he would move into it. I like the idea of the sisters their hubbies and kids moving in and with Fergie outlining everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 15August 21, 2024 1:00 AM

When Charles dies Camilla will start a secret cloak and dagger shadow monarchy with Andrew, Meghan, and all the royals who hate William and Kate. They will secretly plot to drive them mad and somehow get rid of but not kill the children.

by Anonymousreply 16August 21, 2024 1:05 AM

R16, in your dreams. All members of the RF extended family included, as well as members of the nobility, and other hangers on, wealthy friends, etc. all grovel trying to curry favor with those believed to be close to the monarch. No one wants to alienate Charles or William. There is no end to the reach the monarch has.

by Anonymousreply 17August 21, 2024 1:38 AM

Doesn't this man have cancer? Why act like a dick when you've got cancer?

by Anonymousreply 18August 21, 2024 1:40 AM

R16, that might be a good comedy premise. I can see them accidentally blowing themselves trying to destroy William and Catherine. Oh, wait, they've already done that.

by Anonymousreply 19August 21, 2024 1:48 AM

Charles is going to make sure Camilla is taken care of if he dies before her. He has probably already seen to it. But even still she will do nothing to alienate William and Catherine. I do think the writing is on the wall. The Monarchy is going to change big time when William and Catherine take over. I hope Anne gets back on her feet. I like her best and I will be very sad when she dies.

by Anonymousreply 20August 21, 2024 2:03 AM

It really is too bad Anne wasn't the one to inherit the throne. She would have been a much better option over Charles.

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2024 2:29 AM

R6 He's a lying formerly privileged sex offender. His credibility is either nonexistent or shit. The general public are not going to believe a word he says nor have any sympathy at all for his "plight."

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2024 3:18 AM

R6 Plus no publishing house in their right mind would risk damaging their reputation and losing business by giving him a book contract.

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2024 3:20 AM

My father lived outside the Bishopsgates entrance to Windsor Great Park and about 500 yards from Royal Lodge when the Queen Mum lived there. There has always been security as you enter that park and you could not approach her private drive. As you walked on the public path around the Lodge on your way to the great statue of George III at then end of the Long Walk you could look into the Queen Mum's back yard, but knew you were under observation. You have to understand that the UK was different then and you just did not approach the Royals. It's probably much different now and I know the area around Bishopsgate is full of lot-covering tacky McMansions now, built by wealthy foreign money. It used to be pristine squire country. Elton John was a neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2024 3:24 AM

Since he has no security, he and Fergie can just disappear to some nondescript, hidden locale and lay low, out of sight. That would work out well for all, particularly the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2024 3:28 AM

Mom's no longer around to make sure that Andrew gets all his "needs" met.

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2024 3:38 AM

R25 Fergie can stay but he can go fuck off and move to Thailand. That might be more of a reward for him rather than a punishment or an effective form of exile.

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2024 3:39 AM

This may look bad for Charles, not because of Andrew, but because of Fergie, who has malignant melanoma.

by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2024 3:42 AM

I don't have that much sympathy for Fergie, selling access to Andrew for $500,000? She's a grifter.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2024 3:51 AM

In all reality if they had no security what would happen? Can't they just get an alarm system and fences for wherever they live? Are people going to spit on him and call him Chester the Molester when he's shopping at his local mall? Maybe just a few. Fergie can carry pepper spray.

by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2024 7:02 PM

did he slap him?

by Anonymousreply 31August 22, 2024 7:08 PM

Prince Andrew is a spoiled, entitled ne'er-do-well. All he has to do is move into the place vacated by the California duo within the ring of security of the Windsor Castle precincts. That he hasn't done so speaks to the level of delusion he entertains about himself.

by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2024 7:11 PM

I think Charles is gonna die sooner than expected, and Andy is hoping his girls will intercede on his behalf with Wills. But Andy is not considering Catherine and how disgusted she was at all the dirt that came out about Andrew. So he may be better off swapping out the Lodge lease for Frogmore, while he can. Of course, what will happen to the Royal Lodge of Andrew vacates it? BEcause once Charles dies William will be king and he won't need it....oh, wait. William has a brother...never mind/. HArry will never see the inside of any of the Royal Properties if he is waiting on William.

by Anonymousreply 33August 22, 2024 7:17 PM

Andrew has a 75-year lease on the lodge? Can the King break that lease? As part of his wizard powers?

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2024 7:26 PM

If Andrew can pay the basic upkeep he can stay there in perpetuity, he has a lease that even Charles can't tamper with. Can't his daughters or their semi-wealthy husbands help out? I don't see him budging, he will find a way to keep the place in bare-minimal repair and stay put.

He doesn't really need the full security anymore, since he's no longer the son of the monarch. Being the aging brother of the King, and uncle of the future King makes him much less of a security target. He and Fergie could probably do without, being on the Grounds of Windsor Great Park brings the minimal security they probably need at this point.

Charles allegedly wants Royal Lodge for Camilla, after he eventually passes, but Camilla already has her own country house that she loves and will retire to. I'm sure King William will grant her space in London (at KP or St. James) for her stays in town.

by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2024 7:28 PM

Lissen. THis is about $$$$$. Andrew would happily give up the Lodge...for a price. And lease don't tell me he doesn't "need" the money. It's like paying a tithe. If Charles acknowledges him with $$$ he will happily go. And I am betting that out there somewhere is another Royal Property that Andrew has his eye on.

by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2024 7:37 PM

They should put him in an apartment over the Pizza Express in Woking.

by Anonymousreply 37August 22, 2024 8:35 PM

The Queen Mother was a working Royal so she was entitled to security.

by Anonymousreply 38August 22, 2024 8:39 PM

[quote] Being the aging brother of the King, and uncle of the future King makes him much less of a security target.

Harrumph!

by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2024 8:40 PM

Any member of the Royal family is a target. It's about hostages and ransoms.

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2024 10:34 PM

Andrew is supposed to maintain the property according to the terms of his lease and apparently he hasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2024 10:39 PM

He’s dug in at that lodge like the nasty swollen tick that he is. Or maybe he’s more of a bedbug.

by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2024 11:08 PM

R30 my my my, you are quite the expert on Prince Andrew’s finances aren’t you.

Care to share with us your source of this information?

by Anonymousreply 43August 23, 2024 5:56 AM

Well, there you go! Now Harry can snap the security team up and stop bitching about how he can't bring his family home.

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2024 6:56 AM

Recent article excerpted on Yahoo from some magazine claims Camilla is afraid of William because she knew he only tolerated her and once Charles was gone, who knows what he will impose on her.... Is this guilt or truly apprehension?

by Anonymousreply 45August 24, 2024 2:12 AM

It's American tabloid garbage, r45.

by Anonymousreply 46August 24, 2024 11:38 AM

I have never seen any credible evidence that William holds a grudge against Camilla. It was Diana who was causing him pain before she died. He is very different from Harry because he knew his mother much better. I'm not saying he didn't still love her, but I'd be very surprised if he didn't understand, certainly by this age, what motivated Charles to go back to Camilla.

In any case, I'm sure he will treat Camilla with perfect respect when Charles dies. Anyone who thinks he's going to do the modern equivalent of throw her in the Tower is dreaming. From all we've heard about her, she will probably be happy to spend more time in her former home, kicking back with her friends.

by Anonymousreply 47August 24, 2024 11:52 AM

[quote] I have never seen any credible evidence that William holds a grudge against Camilla

Yeah, because William is going to call her a fucking cunt in front of photographers.

Dumb shit.

[quote] In any case, I'm sure he will treat Camilla with perfect respect when Charles dies

I'm sure. *rolling my eyes*

You BRF stans are so far up William's pegged hole, that you'll just believe anything.

You'll see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 48August 24, 2024 3:07 PM

As an old and ill man, King Charles is focused on cleaning house, figuratively and literally. He doesn't want to leave the Andrew problem to William. He wants the Royal Lodge to be making money for the Crown, not burning it. Obviously ending Andy's private security is one action he can legally take to force him out. Charles doesn't want the huge estate to go to Andy's nonworking Royal daughters.

by Anonymousreply 49August 24, 2024 3:35 PM

Charles is going to protect everyone he thinks will feel William's wrath. He knows who he is dealing with. He will see to Harry and his grandchildren, too. It is in everyone's interests for Harry not to come back, and Charles will make sure he inherits something conditional on his continued exile. Charles has so much personal wealth he could fund a small country.

by Anonymousreply 50August 24, 2024 4:28 PM

They’re fighting over revealing the old “servant” graves beneath the Royal Lodge kitchens. Dark stuff from the 18th century.

by Anonymousreply 51August 24, 2024 5:13 PM

The term "working royal" cracks me up. None of them work. Cutting ribbons and visiting hospitals isn't work. They're all grifters.

by Anonymousreply 52August 24, 2024 5:40 PM

Since when is being the head of state being a "grifter", r52?

by Anonymousreply 53August 24, 2024 6:52 PM

R48 are you ok? you sound unhinged and hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 54August 25, 2024 6:18 AM

I’m guessing William doesn’t like Camilla that much. But he has a pretty good poker face about the situation. He’s more like QE than Charles is (eg, fussing over pens). William knows you have to maintain a facade of unity between himself and Camilla/Charles.

by Anonymousreply 55August 25, 2024 6:55 AM

It just means he’s not financially supporting his whores coming and going. Security handled that BS.

by Anonymousreply 56August 25, 2024 7:09 AM

R54 The poster at R48 is KGT herself. She has several screws loose. In addition to stalking Meghan Markle she also stalks Harry Styles. She has an extreme psychotic deep seated hatred for Louis Tomlinson and Niall Horan.

She likes to obsessively make threads about how fat Niall and other celebs are and she once tweeted to the Dubai police demanding they arrest Louis because he once said "fuck" at one of his shows there.

She is a complete nutjob.

by Anonymousreply 57August 25, 2024 7:21 AM

R57 P.S. KGT's pussy smells like someone crapped on roadkill in 130 degree weather.

by Anonymousreply 58August 25, 2024 7:22 AM

Once Wills is King, several Royals will be exiled into obscurity - Camilla and Andrew being on the top of that list.

by Anonymousreply 59August 25, 2024 7:53 AM

We shall see if William is like Michael Corleone when he takes over

by Anonymousreply 60August 25, 2024 8:16 AM

The fantasy that a new King will somehow catapult the former Queen Consort, then Dowager Queen, into oblivion is so uninformed, so trite, and so dumb.

When the time comes, Camilla will keep doing some visits and obligations, she’ll maintain her existing patronages, and she’ll likely be dividing her time between very comfortable apartments in Kensington and Windsor, and her personal country estate east of London. She’ll be there for big events like the Trooping of the Colour, Remembrance Sunday, Christmas at Sandringham, etc.

by Anonymousreply 61August 25, 2024 8:39 AM

R61, I doubt she will come even though she is invited to Christmas at Sandringham. I think William and Catherine will have different traditions. Camilla will be at her own Christmas with her own family.

Sheer speculation here, but it would not surprise me to discover that William has received a lot of guidance from the Middletons, especially Catherine's father, in how to deal with the Camilla problem. He is making the best of it. And he is learning how to wait and to choose his battles. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit but that's what I think.

by Anonymousreply 62August 25, 2024 1:55 PM

Camilla is going to be no problem. She has a whole other life and much nicer family waiting for her. Plus it's not like she's going to be around for another 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 63August 25, 2024 2:16 PM

If Camilla survives Charles - she smoked her head off for decades - she will probably retreat to a more quiet and normal life in her own home with her own family and appear from time to time at big national occasions as a surviving Queen. Diana's been dead for almost thirty years. William will have come to terms with all that.

I think William will ruin the monarchy, by robbing it of the tradition and mystique that it has. I think he fails to see the need for a balance between the historic tradition and pageantry and the need to adapt to the current times. He might just accidentally modernize it out of existence.

by Anonymousreply 64August 25, 2024 2:18 PM

Andrew is a disgusting, sub-normal grifter. But I think anyone who has spent over 10 million on a property over a period of 10-15 years, on top of annual rent of 337,000 would not want to just walk away to a lessor property.

I don’t understand why Charles doesn’t offer him something manageable, but more impressive than Frogmore Cottage. Frogmore Cottage is not that big, architecturally unimpressive, and was a total dump before being renovated to Harry and Meghan’s specifications, so it probably looks like a typical generic Hamptons modern farmhouse on the inside.

Why not buy peace with an offer of a nicer accommodation? I realize that Frogmore Cottage is way beyond the expectations of 99% of the world and more than he deserves, but it’s not what the son of QE or grandson of QE expects. That place has caused a lot of problems.

by Anonymousreply 65August 25, 2024 2:41 PM

HE has caused a lot of problems.

by Anonymousreply 66August 25, 2024 2:46 PM

R65 I think the reason why Charles would rather give Frogmore Cottage to Andrew than finding him a more impressive place is that there's been some push back, particularly since the late Queen died, of how many homes the royals have. For example, Charles has Buckingham Palace, Clarence House, WIndsor, Sandringham, Balmoral, Highgrove. William and Catherine have Kensington, Anmer Hall, and Adelaide Cottage. Allegedly, there's a growing sense within the royal household that there needs to be a "liquidation" of royal properties. Frogmore is sitting empty, it's renovated, on the grounds of Windsor so no need for extra security and befits Andrew's status as a "retired" royal.

by Anonymousreply 67August 25, 2024 3:02 PM

Frogmore Cottage is within the basic security perimeter of WIndsor Castle, so there wouldn't be the extra security cost that the Lodge carries, being outside this. Plus it also has several million spent on it very recently, I seem to recall, so is in a good condition -better than the Lodge is currently, by all accounts. It isn't a bad offer at all.

by Anonymousreply 68August 25, 2024 3:23 PM

The problem with Frogmore is it was done - and I use the word purely for colloquial purposes - it was done to someone else's peculiar taste.

I mean, I loathe Andrew as much as the next vicious queen, but even I'm sympathetic to someone preferring not to live in Restoration Hardware.

by Anonymousreply 69August 25, 2024 3:27 PM

Then he can take some of his free millions from mummy and buy new furniture.

by Anonymousreply 70August 25, 2024 3:30 PM

Prince Andrew looks like Biden Jr in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 71August 25, 2024 3:43 PM

If Andrew thinks Frogmore cottage is beneath him how about a couple of apartments in Kensington Palace, the retirement home for other Royal waxworks and status-obsessed commoners.

by Anonymousreply 72August 25, 2024 4:30 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 25, 2024 6:00 PM

[quote]If Andrew thinks Frogmore cottage is beneath him how about a couple of apartments in Kensington Palace,

Andrew doesn't have much reason to stay in London much, now that he is demoted as a working royal. He likes the countryside, and seems to like riding horses, as he's often papped doing so in Windsor. I'd bet he wants to stay in Windsor.

Dutchie at r61: Camilla's estate, Ray Mill House, is west of London in Wiltshire. Not hugely far from Windsor.

by Anonymousreply 74August 25, 2024 11:20 PM

If he has Frogmore Cottage, then Harry can't ask for it back.

Situated in Windsor Great Park, it will mean his security needs are seen to, as noted several times already.

Frogmore House is too grand for him, but may make for a good stepping stone.

by Anonymousreply 75August 25, 2024 11:22 PM

I would much prefer Camilla's house. Especially the location. They also just poured a huge chunk of money into refurb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 25, 2024 11:25 PM

Is this what they call a cottage?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 25, 2024 11:27 PM

I thought Andrew was offered Frogmore House not the cottage

by Anonymousreply 78August 25, 2024 11:33 PM

No he wasn't offered Frogmore House, which is bigger than Royal Lodge I believe and used for official functions these days (and may be used for private events as well). It was Frogmore Cottage, Harry and Meghan's old place.

by Anonymousreply 79August 25, 2024 11:41 PM

I got the feeling Frogmore House, while grand, isn't really habitable. My guess is it's maintained for safety and preservation, but not to live in? So putting him there would incur great expense - not a winning move. I looked at the Wikipedia entry and it says the building is used for entertaining but it looks like the last time anybody lived in it full time was more than a hundred years ago.

by Anonymousreply 80August 25, 2024 11:42 PM

Yeah, Frogmore House isn't the same as Frogmore Cottage.

by Anonymousreply 81August 25, 2024 11:47 PM

Hi KGT R48! Put the pipe down, have a couple of gallons of boxed wine and go hit your mother’s sofa bed.

Meth binges aren’t easy.

by Anonymousreply 82August 25, 2024 11:51 PM

R9 the Queen Mother did live at Clarence House - her London pied a terre, as well as Royal Lodge Windsor, for the weekends, although HLM, like the Dowager Countess of Grantham, had no need to know what a “weekend” is.

Then there was Birkhall on the Balmoral estate, for summer holidays when the rest of the family were up at the big house and The Castle of Mey in far northern Scotland for a couple of weeks every year. Just because.

It was said that the Queen Mother was the last person to live on a grand Edwardian scale, largely because her daughter Queen Elizabeth was prepared to indulge her every whim, her mother having lost her position at a relatively young age. Hard to go from a being a Queen Empress to a life of relative obscurity. And Lilibet bankrolled that not happening for the rest of her long life.

And good on her, I say! If you’re going to be Queen Empress, do it right!

by Anonymousreply 83August 26, 2024 12:04 AM

They say every time Willie Hamilton ran his mouth, the old gal resolved to live another year.

by Anonymousreply 84August 26, 2024 12:07 AM

Does Fergie still have her bedsit above the Oddbins in Hounslow?

by Anonymousreply 85August 26, 2024 1:08 AM

Fergie supposedly owns a property in Chelsea - god knows who paid for it, and why.

Maybe Andrew could move in there and grift off her for a change. That would have a lovely symmetry.

by Anonymousreply 86August 26, 2024 1:16 AM

Fergie now owns a house in Mayfair. It’s more expensive than Chelsea, but very dull.

by Anonymousreply 87August 26, 2024 9:38 AM

I thought the daughters bought it for Fergs.

by Anonymousreply 88August 26, 2024 11:27 AM

Good luck to the old ginger slapper! Who paid for it?

by Anonymousreply 89August 26, 2024 11:53 AM

I don't know where she'd get five million for a house. She doesn't do anything and she's been broke at least twice. She writes novels but how much would that really yield? I wonder if the girls actually bought it.

by Anonymousreply 90August 26, 2024 12:23 PM

Where would her daughters get $5 million? Do they have that kind of cash?

by Anonymousreply 91August 26, 2024 12:26 PM

I did leave the girls two of our dog dishes and the Regency hound collars.

by Anonymousreply 92August 26, 2024 12:28 PM

I remember reading speculation that when Q E II paid the settlement ($25 mill?) on Andrew's behalf on the Epstein related matter, then after Q E II dies. it was understood by Andrew he's to move out of Royal Lodge.

The notion was that, while the settlement isn't coming out of your pocket, but Andrew, you'll have to give up Royal Lodge in return.

by Anonymousreply 93August 26, 2024 12:55 PM

R91, probably the Queen Mother, who dispersed her private fortune before death to beat the taxman. Recall the runaway prince just coming into some money she left him, tied up until he was 40. If not the QM, possibly the Duke of Edinburgh or the Queen, though I think that place got bought before the Queen died.

by Anonymousreply 94August 26, 2024 2:00 PM

R91 It's Andrew bought the Mayfair place.

by Anonymousreply 95August 26, 2024 2:14 PM

Fergie, 64, owns a £4 million apartment in Mayfair that has been vacant for two years. This two-bedroom Georgian property, purchased in 2022, is located in an exclusive mews in Belgravia, a short drive from the residences of Beatrice, 36, and Eugenie, 34, reported GB News.

Fergie's Mayfair apartment, acquired for £4.25 million in June 2022, was intended as a "long-term investment" for her daughters.

Reports indicated that Beatrice and Eugenie might have financed the purchase. Official Land Registry documents reveal that Sarah cannot sell the property without their written permission.

Initially, it was suggested that Fergie intended to rent out the townhouse, as she had no plans to vacate Royal Lodge. However, the property has been listed for rent at £16,500 a month. There have been discussions about whether Sarah and Andrew might move into the Mayfair home, though this would also likely require their daughters' approval.

Beatrice and Eugenie both have apartments within a 10-minute drive of the Mayfair property, making it convenient for family visits. Meanwhile, King Charles has reportedly removed Andrew's 10-man security team in an effort to expedite their move from Royal Lodge.

by Anonymousreply 96August 26, 2024 2:34 PM

Mayfair and Belgravia are separate neighbourhoods. They don't even share a dividing road. Mayfair is north of Piccadilly. Belgravia is south and west of The Mall.

by Anonymousreply 97August 26, 2024 2:42 PM

R96 wasn't this after Fergie's cancer diagnosis? The girls wanted Mama to be near them or something?

by Anonymousreply 98August 26, 2024 4:49 PM

I can't imagine that Bea and Eug have enough money to buy their mother and apartment in London.

by Anonymousreply 99August 27, 2024 12:25 AM

[quote] King Charles May Have Chosen Who’s Getting Prince Andrew’s Royal Estate

After speculation about Prince Andrew possibly getting evicted from his royal home made headlines recently, a new twist to the royal family's real estate situation may be in the works thanks to King Charles. The monarch may be thanking the royal family's "secret weapon," Duchess Sophie and Prince Andrew, by gifting them Royal Lodge on the Windsor Estate. Currently, that's where Prince Andrew and his ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson, live.

Royal expert Richard Kay told the Daily Mail that the king has considered gifting the property to his youngest brother as a way to thank him and his wife, Duchess Sophie, for stepping up and stepping in for Charles and Kate Middleton as they navigate their health issues.

"Charles has entertained the thought of offering Royal Lodge to his youngest brother, Prince Edward. The two haven't always seen eye-to-eye, but the king has been hugely impressed by the manner in which Edward and his wife, Sophie, have increased their workload since their elevation to Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh," Kay said. "The couple have filled in the many gaps created by the absence of both Kate and himself while they underwent cancer treatment."

The Mirror adds that Sophie and the late Queen Elizabeth II grew close after the duchess married Edward in 1999. Her recent royal duties included taking a four-day secret visit to Iraq last month. She also regularly attends Royal Ascot and Wimbledon and has a sweet relationship with Princess Charlotte.

The BBC's Jennie Bond explained that Sophie is beloved by the public and that she's charming and humble, which make her an asset to the royals when they need someone to report for duty.

“Sophie is a natural, humble woman—clearly still very much in love with her husband—and a woman who has grown into her role without fuss or fanfare," Bond said, adding that she's also grown close to Middleton. "By nature, Sophie is a kind and generous person who has always been happy to act as sounding board, mentor, confidante...or sometimes just another girl to share a giggle with. So, I have no doubt that Sophie has been someone to whom Catherine has frequently turned."

The Mirror also reports that Andrew has been offered to use of a smaller royal property: Queen Elizabeth's Craigowan cottage on Balmoral estate. It has seven bedrooms and is famous for being where then-Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana announced their engagement in 1981.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 27, 2024 3:34 AM

[quote] The Mirror also reports that Andrew has been offered to use of a smaller royal property: Queen Elizabeth's Craigowan cottage on Balmoral estate. It has seven bedrooms and is famous for being where then-Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana announced their engagement in 1981.

Sounds like a nice place, and a good solution to the Royal Lodge issue.

Why not just move there?

Beggars can't be choosers, Andrew. That sounds like a very generous offer.

by Anonymousreply 101August 27, 2024 4:49 AM

I wouldn't be placing too much trust in Instyle - they lost me at "Duchess Sophie" - there is no such title - and seem to think in the first paragraph that "Duchess Sophie" is married to Prince Andrew.

Instyle should stick to lifestyle fluff.

by Anonymousreply 102August 27, 2024 5:11 AM

Craigowan Lodge is nothing to turn your nose up at. But it is in Balmoral, about a mile from the main castle. Balmoral is in Scotland. Would Andrew be willing to take up permanent residence there? And who'd keep an eye on him. The benefit of having Andrew near by is being able to keep an eye on him. I doubt his life is as dull and solitary as it appears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 27, 2024 2:03 PM

Sophie and Edward moving to Royal Lodge makes sense. And WIlliam and Catherine don't much care about living at Adelaide cottage because they have Anmer Hall which is lovely, on the Sandringham Estate, and they know very soon they will have Windsor Castle, and Buckingham Palace....and anywhere else they want.

by Anonymousreply 104August 27, 2024 2:06 PM

No one would agree to live in northern Scotland year round, no matter what you think they've done. It's barely summer now. Even I couldn't fault him for that.

by Anonymousreply 105August 27, 2024 2:47 PM

Why doesn't he just agree to live in that Mayfair apartment with Fergie?

by Anonymousreply 106August 27, 2024 3:13 PM

We know one thing for sure. Andrew isn't working up a sweat over this.

by Anonymousreply 107August 27, 2024 3:28 PM

As sovereign, can Charles void the lease Elizabeth gave Andrew? I think Andrew has no more fucks to give as far as Charles is concerned. Andrew is probably blackmailing Charles about family secrets and writing a tell all.

by Anonymousreply 108August 27, 2024 3:55 PM

Charles can't void his lease on Royal Lodge, but with the withdrawal of paid security and other financial support he's made it near impossible for him and Fergie to continue living there....it's death (or eviction, in this case) but a thousand cuts.

by Anonymousreply 109August 27, 2024 4:41 PM

Wow R103, Craigowan is beautiful!

I'd love to live there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 27, 2024 4:59 PM

[QUOTE]Her recent royal duties included taking a four-day secret visit to Iraq last month. She also regularly attends Royal Ascot and Wimbledon and has a sweet relationship with Princess Charlotte.

ROFL. So this is what a "working" royal does. I hope she isn't too exhausted.

by Anonymousreply 111August 27, 2024 5:45 PM

The Craigowan Lodge is beautiful. I’ll take it and happily live out my remaining years there.

by Anonymousreply 112August 27, 2024 5:49 PM

Oh I could happily live in Northern Scotland.

by Anonymousreply 113August 27, 2024 5:51 PM

[quote]Her recent royal duties included taking a four-day secret visit to Iraq last month.

Right. Then she hoped over to Afghanistan with a stop in Gaza.

by Anonymousreply 114August 27, 2024 5:56 PM

*hopped* like a little bunny

by Anonymousreply 115August 27, 2024 5:57 PM

Sophie's visit to Iraq

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 27, 2024 6:01 PM

Sophie and Edward currently live at Bagshot Park, they signed on for a lease extension in 2021 and have put a lot of their own $ into it for refurbishment. It's a huge estate, but perhaps not as elegant as Royal Lodge and not as close to Windsor Castle and the seat of power (KCIII and other royals there). Would they want to move at this late date?

I still believe that William and Kate will probably move over there once Andrew evacuates. Their current home, Adelaide House, could be taken by either Beatrice or Eugenie and their respective families, that was part of the deal in fact that was offered to Andrew if he left.

by Anonymousreply 117August 27, 2024 7:49 PM

Prince Edward's estate is fucking huge.

by Anonymousreply 118August 27, 2024 7:52 PM

Isn't Bagshot Park part of the Sandringham Estate? Or is it Windsor?

by Anonymousreply 119August 27, 2024 9:55 PM

I know I'll catch the usual flak for this but I think the peripheral royals didn't quite take Charles at his word about a slimmed down monarchy. The Sussexes certainly did and hightailed it out of there, but the Michael Kents were edged out years ago, there was never a proper or useful place for Andrew once the Sarah debacle took place, the Gloucesters, Pss Alexandra, and the D of Kent are ancient (the Dss of Kent excused herself regally years ago). I think they need so many royals because of the long history that the BRF has of patronages which keeps them all busy. We haven't heard from the Pss Royal in a while, but the Edinburghs seem to be doing their part.

I also wonder if having security is a sign of their (self-)importance. If it's taken away do they all feel "less than"? That said, I can't even imagine what kooks and crazies security teams have to contend with when it comes to royalty.

by Anonymousreply 120August 27, 2024 10:06 PM

Of all the pictures of royal residences that I've seen I'd choose Bagshot Park.

by Anonymousreply 121August 27, 2024 10:26 PM

[quote] I also wonder if having security is a sign of their (self-)importance. If it's taken away do they all feel "less than"?

I think that’s part of it definitely.

by Anonymousreply 122August 28, 2024 12:03 AM

Dogshit Park

by Anonymousreply 123August 28, 2024 12:13 AM

[quote] Of all the pictures of royal residences that I've seen I'd choose Bagshot Park.

Any relation to Bathilda Bagshot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 28, 2024 12:56 AM

R120 all Charles has to do is wait a few years and he’ll get his slimmed down family through attrition. The Duke of Kent seems to be barely functioning but is hanging on for his few engagements. Princess Alexandra is sadly, and literally, on her last legs - she’s wheelchair bound, and rarely appears in public.

I wouldn’t call the Gloucesters “ancient” - he has just turned 80 and she is a couple of years younger but they both seem in great health - they are both said to be vegetarian - and have a full list of engagements. They all have grace and favour apartments at Kensington Palace but receive no funding apart from expenses when performing official functions. Seems a fair enough compensation for a lifetime of the general drudgery of supporting the monarch.

None of their children and grandchildren are royal or perform royal duties - they all have private lives and private jobs.

So fast forward ten years and you’ll have the King and Queen (either C&C or W&C), the Gloucesters hopefully enjoying their retirement, Anne, the Edinburghs and the Wales children in their teens still at school. And that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 125August 28, 2024 1:06 AM

r119 it's not part of either. It's close to Windsor though, about 10 miles south.

by Anonymousreply 126August 28, 2024 1:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!