Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Steve Kerr shrugs off political "risks" and gives a rousing speech at the DNC

Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr spoke at the Democratic National Convention Monday night at the United Center in Chicago, where he won three NBA championships as a point guard for the Chicago Bulls from 1993 through 1998.

“So fun to be back in the United Center — a lot of good stuff has happened in this building, especially in the ’90s,” Kerr said. “Young people, google ‘Michael Jordan’ and you can read all about it.

“There was an amazing vibe in this building back in those days,” he continued. “And I feel that same winning spirit here tonight.”

Kerr, the head coach of the U.S. men’s Olympic basketball team, recently returned from coaching the team to a gold medal in Paris.

“I cannot think of a better metaphor for what this country is all about than the way Team USA came together,” he said, adding, “It was the proudest moment of my life.”

Kerr said he accepted the invitation to speak at a political convention knowing he would be criticized.

“I know very well that speaking out about politics these days comes with risks. I can see the ‘Shut up and whistle’ tweets being fired off as we speak,” he said. “But I also knew after being asked as an American citizen it was too important not to speak up in an election of this magnitude.”

Kerr said that as “a coach and a former player, as a husband, a son, a father, even a grandfather, and as an American, I believe in a certain kind of leadership.”

“I believe leaders must display dignity. I believe that leaders must tell the truth,” Kerr explained. “I believe that leaders must care for and love the people that they are leading.

“If you look for those qualities in your friends or a boss or an employee or your child’s teacher or your mayor, then shouldn’t you want those same qualities in your president?” he asked to applause. “And when you think about it that way, this is no contest. With Kamala Harris and Tim Walz, I see all those qualities.”

Kerr praised Walz, who coached a high school football team to a state championship in 1999.

“Coach to coach, that was awesome,” Kerr said.

At the end of his speech, Kerr made a reference to Warrior and Team USA point guard Steph Curry while talking about what he hopes will happen on election night.

"After the results are tallied," Kerr said, "we can — in the words of the great Steph Curry — we can tell Donald Trump, 'Night-night.'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2024 2:14 AM

Good on him. Well done.

by Anonymousreply 1August 20, 2024 7:06 AM

I love how Democrats attract some of the most accomplished people in our country, to speak at the Democratic Convention.

And Republicans get..... the trash.

by Anonymousreply 2August 20, 2024 7:09 AM

Steve Kerr -- championship-winning shot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 20, 2024 7:12 AM

👏 I 👏 LOVE 👏 THIS 👏 MAN

by Anonymousreply 4August 20, 2024 8:21 AM

It really sucks that being a Democrat can be damaging to your career. I'd say that about Republicans but, man, they are now so far gone that they aren't even relatable. I have conservative friends but even they won't vote for trump and are just sitting out of this election.

by Anonymousreply 5August 20, 2024 8:53 AM

I am an NBA junkie. Kerr is so well spoken, so smart and very humble.

His speech was exactly as good as I assumed it would be.

by Anonymousreply 6August 20, 2024 9:09 AM

Here's his full speech.

It's less than 7 minutes long.

This guy is such a stud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 20, 2024 9:10 AM

Steve probably has an opinion about the pro-Hamas protestors disrupting the convention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 20, 2024 9:16 AM

That's a fucking horrible story at R8.

What kind of animals are those Arizona State fans????

[quote] the story of his dad being the President at the American University of Beirut. That's where Malcolm Kerr was murdered by two terrorists pretending to be students.

[quote] Shouts of “PLO, PLO . . . " and “Your father’s history,” and “Why don’t you join the Marines and go back to Beirut?” by a small group of students caused Kerr to sit down for a few minutes to regain his composure.

[quote] The taunting took place about a half-hour before game time, with only about 1,000 of the eventual crowd of 12,784 at Arizona State’s University Activity Center.

[quote] Kerr, a fifth-year senior, made all six of his shots from three-point range and finished with 22 points as he led his No. 3-ranked Wildcats to a 101-73 victory.

[quote] Kerr said: “It happened long enough before the game that I was able to regain my composure. There’s no question they made me play my best. There’s no question it got my whole team fired up.”

Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 9August 20, 2024 9:25 AM

Steve Kerr’s father was assassinated by terrorists when he was playing college basketball. Fans from opposing schools brutally taunted him over it and he’d torch them anyway. I have a ton of admiration for him.

by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2024 10:13 AM

Oh dear i didn't read the previous comments - well, Kerr was a great pick. Gregg Popovich would have been even better. Really hoping Jesse Ventura makes a surprise appearance.

by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2024 10:15 AM

Kerr’s son Matthew is gay.

by Anonymousreply 12August 20, 2024 12:28 PM

[quote] What kind of animals are those Arizona State fans????

Future MAGAts.

by Anonymousreply 13August 20, 2024 5:51 PM

And a hot HOT Daddy

by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2024 7:13 PM

He should run for Gov of CA

by Anonymousreply 15August 20, 2024 7:19 PM

Another all time great NBA coach, in my opinion the greatest ever, absolutely blasting Donald Trump. I want him to run for Governor of Texas so bad, he is so popular he'd have a legit shot. He would decimate any rethuglican in a debate on vibes alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 20, 2024 8:06 PM

I love Steve Kerr now almost as much as I hated his three pointers against the Blazers, back in the day.

I could absolutely see him going into politics after coaching. Hope he does. Light 'em up, Steve.

by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2024 8:15 PM

C-span is airing Kerr’s speech now.

by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2024 9:14 PM

[quote]Kerr’s son Matthew is gay.

He's a cutie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2024 9:54 PM

Wow R19, he's twinkerific!

He looks like his dad, except non-blond.

by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2024 9:57 PM

If anyone wonders how or why Kerr is such a fantastic coach.

by Anonymousreply 21August 20, 2024 10:41 PM

I became horny listening to and watching him speak last night, and it made me want him to mount me.

by Anonymousreply 22August 21, 2024 2:01 AM

[quote] I became horny listening to and watching him speak last night, and it made me want him to mount me.

Settle down, Miss Lindsey Belle!

by Anonymousreply 23August 21, 2024 2:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!