Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A new era of power lesbian fashion is here — and it's not just for queer women

The new era of Sapphic style — which fuses sartorial looks, plays with gender and shuns the male gaze — has emerged as a form of power dressing for all women.

From Kristen Stewart combining a black leather blazer and garter belt to Janelle Monae donning a playful red suit with white bowtie and Renee Rapp rocking a messy biker tuxedo look, the no-holds-barred era of Sapphic style is in full swing — and women across the sexuality spectrum are adopting the look.

It’s a new age of “power lesbian” fashion, which was once characterized by the strong shoulders and straight lines of power suits. Now, so-called power dressing — a style popularized in the ‘80s for businesswomen trying to assert their power through menswear-inspired looks — is about creatively fusing styles and bringing together traditionally masculine and feminine components.

Anita Dolce Vita, owner of the online queer fashion magazine dapperQ, said fashion right now is about endless possibilities, a look that she said lesbians have trailblazed with a philosophy of, “I’m going to dress however the heck I want.”

It’s not just queer women who are embracing this playful mix of masculine and feminine styles — blazers and ruffles, long skirts and trench coats — in this new version of power dressing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2024 12:05 AM

Why do I think that you could write the same article at any time over the past half century simply by swapping out the specific celebrities mentioned.

Lesbians like to mix traditional masculine and feminine clothing, and sometimes straight women do it too. Groundbreaking reporting.

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2024 5:55 PM

leztastic

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2024 5:57 PM

Slow news day, huh?

But NBC can point to this as "diversity content," so there ya go.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2024 6:01 PM

Lezbyterian

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2024 6:02 PM

Old story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2024 6:03 PM

Well la-de-dah!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2024 6:21 PM

Janelle Monae isn't even a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2024 7:30 PM

And neither is Kristen Stewart...according to her

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2024 7:31 PM

Lezzierrific

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2024 7:37 PM

She isn't r7?

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2024 8:36 PM

none of these looks are bold or new in any way

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2024 9:20 PM

I love Janelle's style. She's always well dressed. Maybe that's why r7 claims that she's not a lesbian because those two things don't usually go together.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2024 9:29 PM

I always check NBC for my fashion info.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2024 9:33 PM

Janelle = "queer non-binary"

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2024 9:34 PM

Is Cara D still a Lezz E

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2024 9:51 PM

I love Janelle.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2024 10:35 PM

I like Janelle's style and she almost always looks good. K Stew has been trying to hide her hot for a long time now, she looks terrible. I wouldn't kick her out of bed but she is gorgeous and needs to embrace that. The other person isn't anything to write home about, don't know who she is.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2024 10:40 PM

The women featured in the op's pic are poorly dressed. The one on the right 👉 is poorly groomed.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2024 11:44 PM

R10 No. She identifies as pansexual. She has a long term male partner. I think they are polly and swingers.

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2024 8:59 PM

R12 No. I claim she's not a lesbian because she's not a lesbian

by Anonymousreply 20August 20, 2024 9:00 PM

they are polly.....

by Anonymousreply 21August 21, 2024 12:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!