Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anthony Hopkins as Freud

Why did it bomb? I thought it was an excellent movie. Very well acted. Didn’t know Anna Freud was a lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2024 11:15 PM

Not a huge market for quietly paced, smart movies these days

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2024 1:03 PM

But the critiques were unfriendly too. I found this unwarranted.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2024 1:04 PM

AH's overuse of the interjection "ja" was a bit too much.

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2024 1:05 PM

He would have benefited from a German coach. But Freud may have used "ja" a lot.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2024 1:07 PM

Sometimes an orchid is just an orchid.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2024 2:46 PM

He's done a lot of trash movies, consequently he's not really a big draw.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2024 3:31 PM

Not enough singing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2024 3:40 PM

R6 nailed it. Hopkins is grabbing up everything. He’s got all these movies on streaming I’ve never heard about. There’s so much mediocrity on his resume lately that whenever I see he’s in something, I’m halfway wondering if it’s garbage. The more movies you make, the shittier they become.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2024 3:50 PM

It’s far from a mediocre performance, R8.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2024 7:45 PM

Anyway, that being said I'll check it out. Thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2024 11:33 PM

It might be, R9. I’m sure Hopkins delivered—he always does. But that doesn’t mean the film itself is good. Many a great performance has been lost in a sea of schlock due to factors like overly long runtimes, weak plots and poor pacing.

by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2024 4:05 PM

OP, the film is an extended theological discussion between Sigmund Freud and CS Lewis.

Did you really think it would be a big draw? Perhaps you assumed children would collect "Freud's Last Session" action figures.

by Anonymousreply 12August 20, 2024 4:09 PM

Was this a remake of "Freud" starring Montgomery Clift?

by Anonymousreply 13August 20, 2024 4:19 PM

Matthew Goode is like a well-maintained cemetery.

It may be pretty on the surface, but in the end, not much is happening there.

by Anonymousreply 14August 20, 2024 4:27 PM

Well that’s the idea that not much is happening, no? I didn’t argue that the movie is a block buster, I argued that it is worth watching for people with more than half a brain cell. My Dinner with André was another movie where nothing much happened yet it was worth watching, no?

by Anonymousreply 15August 20, 2024 6:46 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 16August 20, 2024 6:51 PM

I don’t think it did justice to any of the characters, they all came off so creepy.

by Anonymousreply 17August 20, 2024 9:21 PM

Subject matter. Few people understand Freud and this snoozefest confirmed it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 20, 2024 11:06 PM

ROFL R7, first thing I thought of.

by Anonymousreply 19August 20, 2024 11:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!