Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Big Night (1996)

Big Night is such an underrated film. Most think it is either a comedy or a food film, but is so much more.

Directed by Campbell Scott and Stanley Tucci (who also starred), the ensemble cast is a who's who of talent: Tony Shalhoub, Ian Holm, Allison Janney, Marc Anthony, Minnie Driver, Liev Schreiber, and Isabella Rossellini

A true hidden gem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2024 3:03 AM

It's not underrated. It's get's 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2024 10:05 PM

R1 You don't hear a lot about it though

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2024 10:08 PM

Dinner Rush with Danny Aiello-Great fucking movie.

Just watched "Big Night" last week, I never saw it. It's excellent.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2024 10:36 PM

It's not underrated, it's beloved by everyone who's seen it, which is far two few.

I really want to try Timpano some day, maybe at a Big Night Screening party. Would the New York Times food reporter show up? I wonder

Great casting, though I feel Minnie Driver was miscast.

(Fun moment:

Primo: Well, it's just that risotto costs us a lot. And it takes you a long time to make. I mean, you have to work so hard to make, you know. And then we have to charge more, So I think take it away.

Secondo: Sure. For good.

- Really?

- Yeah, that's good.

Oh, good.

Okay. Maybe instead we could put...

Yes, tell me, tell me.

I was thinking... What do they call it? You know, is a...

- Manicotti?

No. Is... Hot dog? Hot dog! Yeah. Hot dogs. I think people would like that. Those.

- Fine.

If you give people time, they learn.

- Well, I don't have time for them to learn. This is a restaurant, not a fucking school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2024 10:43 PM

Ok "oh dear" me, you bastards

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2024 10:44 PM

Loved this movie. Saw it in the theater when it came out. Stanley Tucci was so fucking sexy in it.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2024 10:48 PM

The process of the Timpano being made was more visually appealing than the finished product. I would still try it.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2024 10:51 PM

It was a sleeper hit

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2024 10:59 PM

I'll take an "oh dear" too, r4/r5

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2024 3:38 AM

I wonder why it didn't win any awards

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2024 3:43 AM

It was filmed in my dad’s home town. He started making those giant meat pies after he saw it. Any party in the late ‘90s or early 2000s, he brought a meat pie filled with pasta, meatballs, eggs, sausage… We weren’t even Italian!

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2024 4:32 AM

Among the many reasons I love this movie is that it exposed me to the music of Louis Prima and Keely Smith. Before the movie I knew who Prima was, but the soundtrack made me want to hear more of them.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2024 8:16 AM

R11 : Timballo.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2024 12:27 PM

I watched it again after many years -not that great.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2024 12:33 PM

R14 Please elucidate

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2024 4:48 PM

R13: Yes, I would try to use the correct term now. At the time — as non-Italian New Jerseyans (and some might say “anti-Italian,” depending on how Irish the family branch) — we just said “meat pie.”

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2024 12:00 AM

Loved this his movie as well as “Dinner Rush” (the latter which I found and re-watched, without ad interruptions incidentally, on YouTube about a year ago). 🇮🇹

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2024 1:31 AM

You can buy the VHS

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2024 2:59 PM

campbell scott was SO hot

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2024 3:02 PM

I forgot, he was in the "The Spanish Prisoner and Longtime Companion".

Campbell Scott was so HOTT in Longtime Companion. The Spanish Prisoner was really good, which surprised me.

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2024 4:56 PM

I told an Italian friend about the Timpano after I saw the movie because it excited me so much and she said- Oh, I know how to make that! And she invited me for dinner and there it was- Timpano! It was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2024 5:00 PM

Because Tucci sucks the marrow out of every bone tossed into his avaricious maw.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2024 5:02 PM

I want to have a glass of wine and watch tonight

by Anonymousreply 23August 20, 2024 9:54 PM

If Tucci had hair he would have been my perfect type.

by Anonymousreply 24August 21, 2024 12:59 AM

Charming

by Anonymousreply 25August 24, 2024 11:45 PM

R2, "You don't hear a lot about it" because it's a small (excellent, but) movie from 1996. Where would you expect to "hear" about it?

by Anonymousreply 26August 24, 2024 11:50 PM

R26 I feel like it would be a Criterion classic or appear in art house theaters

by Anonymousreply 27August 25, 2024 12:22 AM

Love this movie! Time to watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 28August 25, 2024 12:55 AM

Went to the opening party for it at Le Madri, at the time a very hot Italian restaurant in downtown Manhattan. The chef, Gianni Scapin did all the food for the pic and is good friends with Tucci. Thr whole cast was there- fun party. Gianni’s fiancée was one of my good friends at the time.

by Anonymousreply 29August 25, 2024 1:19 AM

"The rape of cuisine" is one of my favorite movie lines of all time

by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2024 3:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!