Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Agnes of God (1985 movie)

This was just on TCM and I rewatched it after many years. I remember seeing it in the theater upon its release and feeling somewhat meh about the story. Still feel that way, but I think I was more impressed with Meg Tilly's performance than I had been. I'm glad she was nominated, though she really should have been in the lead category. It was Agnes' story and the film revolved around her. It's a shame Tilly didn't do more work like this. She could have really had a great career as a character actress, but they kept sticking her in shitty movies because they didn't know what to do with her. Then she married that rich fossil John Calley and retired.

I don't get Bancroft's nomination. Not only wasn't she very good, she wasn't a lead. Her character among all the three was the true supporting one. The only good thing I can say about her is that she was relatively restrained here, as this was made during her scenery chewing period that began with Garbo Talks and ended with Malice (and peaked with Torch Song Trilogy). 1985 was a year that was PACKED with tremendous lead actress performances and several incredibly worthy women were left out, including Miranda Richardson for Dance with a Stranger, Cher for Mask, Norma Alendro for The Official Story, Kathleen Turner for Prizzi's Honor, and so on. All for Bancroft's extremely undeserving performance to get in instead.

I think the film is overlong, especially since they really don't do much of a job trying to convince us that this could be anything but a "normal" conception. I didn't see the play, so I don't know how it differs, but the film really has little mystery at all. The ideas of an immaculate conception and being touched by God are introduced, but no one seems to believe them, not the characters (outside of Agnes), and absolutely not the filmmakers. I found myself getting impatient and siding with Fonda's bosses when they kept urging her to wrap it the fuck up.

But- worth a watch or re-watch for Tilly.

One last thing- Fonda is a really bad onscreen smoker.

by Anonymousreply 56August 23, 2024 11:36 AM

Anne Bancroft was getting older, at that point. It may have been a “lifetime achievement” nomination.”

Youre right about Jane’s smoking not being natural. I’m a former smoker and was kind of self-conscious about smoking in public. But I do notice when actors can’t smoke convincingly.

Meg Tilly has that baby voice that worked for the role.

Not sure I would want to watch this movie again.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2024 9:12 PM

Worked much better on stage but it's a good screen adaptation. Meg Tilly is definitely the standout in the cast. Ironically, Geraldine Page who originated Mother Miriam Ruth on stage beat Annie for the Oscar that year.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2024 9:14 PM

Elizabeth Ashley trashed the movie on a podcast a few years back. She thought the movie diluted the mystery of the play. She also thought it was too "Fussy" because the Broadway play was basically two straight back chairs placed on a stage. The beauty of the play was how sparse and intimate the delivery was.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2024 9:19 PM

Nykvist shot it gorgeously and I enjoyed the specifically French Canadian milieu. I think it was a mistake to change the ending of the play, but I like the film and the commitment of the actors, even if Fonda’s role is quite thankless.

Tilly has a peculiarly beautiful face and a distinctive voice prone to fascinating, idiosyncratic cadences. This vehicle makes strong use of both, and I’m not surprised she was the one actress that year who managed a major Best Supporting Actress win (the Golden Globe) in the year of Anjelica Huston’s near-sweep for Prizzi’s Honor.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2024 9:42 PM

R4, can you tell me what the ending of the play was if you remember what Ashley said (or if you saw it)?

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2024 10:32 PM

It was a good year for actresses: Coral Browne in "Dreamchild" and Mia Farrow in "The Purple Rose of Cairo" were also memorable in good roles.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2024 10:44 PM

Two other good choices, R6.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2024 10:47 PM

I remember Ashley's final monologue about Agnes being sent to a mental hospital where she died. This was after Agnes admitted she had sex with a field hand who impregnated her. At least that's how I remember it.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2024 10:58 PM

I loved the film; it was superb.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2024 11:02 PM

R5 I never saw the play. Ashley went on a long discussion about it on a podcast called "Let's sit crooked and talk straight" It's episode 41 on Itunes.

Sandy Dennis played the Fonda and Ashley role in summer stock. THAT I would have loved to see.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2024 11:02 PM

R10. Sandy played opposite Geraldine Page in that summer tour.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2024 11:04 PM

[quote] I remember Ashley's final monologue about Agnes being sent to a mental hospital where she died. This was after Agnes admitted she had sex with a field hand who impregnated her. At least that's how I remember it.

Oh, interesting. Funny, I thought I had remembered that they specified who the father was in the film (like a delivery person who had snuck back to see Agnes) but I guess they really didn't. they just inferred from the secret passage that a man had come into the convent that way and met her.

I was reading that Jodie Foster very much wanted to play Agnes in the film version but they felt she was on the skids, career wise at that point. I think she would have been miscast. She's much too cerebral an actress.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2024 11:05 PM

Jodie Foster was considered as a replacement for Amanda Plummer on Broadway as well, but security would have been a nightmare, because the Hinckley situation was still very fresh in the media.

Debbie Reynolds got wind of Plummer leaving and asked Ashley if she could help Carrie Fisher audition for it. Carrie got the job, but didn't last too long as her drug abuse was out of control during this time.

Ashley also helped get Diahann Carroll in by going on a vacation for a week and letting Diahann test the role out. Carroll got raves, and she became Liz's replacement once she left.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2024 11:10 PM

I saw Carrie Fisher and, aside from being inaudible, she walked through the performance like a zombie. I also saw Carroll who was fantastic and absolutely stunning onstage. She was cast in Dynasty right after that. As much as I loved Amanda Plummer as Agnes, MaryAnn Plunkett was my favorite. I think it was the physical awkwardness she brought to the role. Like someone who had been horribly abused and afraid of pissing anyone off. (I saw the play about 6 times.)

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2024 11:42 PM

I saw the play on Broadway. Carrie was out that night from illness so we got Plunkett. I remember being shocked at the scene where Agnes has hysterical bleeding, being too naive at the time about stage tricks.

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2024 11:48 PM

Drugs or no drugs, I would have hated to spend Broadway money and be stuck seeing Carrie Fisher. Wonderful writer, terrible actress.

Plunkett, OTOH, I imagine was wonderful. I got to work with her for two seasons at NAT and she gave several wonderful performances and played a wide range of characters.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2024 5:31 AM

Further to R15 - at intermission the woman sitting next to me asked how I was enjoying the show. I thought New Yorkers are so friendly.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2024 1:08 PM

Another Six Degrees of is that playing the mother of Jane Fonda in the film is Anne Pitoniak. She played the mother in night,Mother on Broadway. The role that Anne Bancroft took in the movie version.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2024 11:59 PM

can you tell me what the ending of the play was

Agnes was sent to Saint Katherine's Parish convent in San Francisco where she joined the Sister Act.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2024 12:02 AM

Saw Geraldine Page and Elizabeth Ashley on stage in NYC in 5he original play - 1000 times better than the movie

IT HAPPENS

by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2024 12:05 AM

I think Anne Bancroft was a better film actress than Geraldine Page. Bancroft could be big Italian but she was never as annoyingly Actors Studio as Page was.

by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2024 12:10 AM

Debbie Reynolds got wind of Plummer leaving and asked Ashley if she could help Carrie Fisher audition for it.

Debbie also wanted to play Mother Miriam Ruth but as The Singing Nun.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2024 12:18 AM

R21, the alternative sounded better on paper. Turned out it wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2024 12:19 AM

Debbie was in Woman of the Year when Carrie & Liz were snorting shit in Agnes so they were both on Broadway at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2024 12:38 AM

Elizabeth Ashley originated the role of Corie Bratter in Barefoot in the Park on Broadway. Jane Fonda played her in the film. Jane Fonda played Doctor Martha Livingston in the film of Agnes of God, the part that Elizabeth originated on stage.

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2024 12:42 AM

Why didn't Elizabeth Ashley get a better shot in Hollywood?

Her IMDB credits indicate her film career peak may have been Ship of Fools and The Carpetbaggers mid 1960s......and the rest is TV...

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2024 1:05 AM

I love Elizabeth Ashley on stage but I always thought she was a bit too theatrical and grand on film though she photographs beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2024 1:29 AM

Read Elizabeth Ashley’s autobio.

She did the Broadway revival of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and made Maggie much more sexual than Barbara Bel Geddes. I think if this revival hadn’t been done, Cat would have been demoted to second rate Williams.

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2024 1:35 AM

[quote]Why didn't Elizabeth Ashley get a better shot in Hollywood?

She left at the height of her broadway stardom just as she was breaking into movies to marry George Peppard. He didn't want her to be a working actress, so she retired and had a kid. By the time she divorced him, she basically had to start over. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof was a huge comeback for her, and she got across the board raves, even from shits like John Simon. How she didn't win the Tony for it is baffling.

Her book "Actress" (Sadly out of print but you can find used copies everywhere) is a blast to read. Her marriage to Peppard was violent. Each one would pull a gun out on the other and she claims Peppard smashed her in the face with a frying pan.

by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2024 1:36 AM

I really liked Meg Tilly back then, thought she could have been a really good breakout actor, but then she just seemed to slip away in obscurity.

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2024 1:42 AM

[quote]I really liked Meg Tilly back then, thought she could have been a really good breakout actor, but then she just seemed to slip away in obscurity.

Too many moles on her face.

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2024 1:53 AM

[quote]Why didn't Elizabeth Ashley get a better shot in Hollywood?

Uhm, booze.

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2024 1:54 AM

I saw the original cast early in the run and Elizabeth Ashley held up the curtain because she "had twisted her ankle and the wardrobe mistress is out looking for a pair of sensible flats for Ms. Ashley".

When the curtain finally came up, Ms. Ashly did indeed have on flats and was also using a cane to great dramatic effect....she was also drunk.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2024 1:57 AM

[quote]Agnes was sent to Saint Katherine's Parish convent in San Francisco where she joined the Sister Act.

Actually she became a Toreadorable.

by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2024 2:00 AM

[quote]Each one would pull a gun out on the other and she claims Peppard smashed her in the face with a frying pan.

At least it wasn't a fondue pot.

by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2024 2:03 AM

Fay Wray's daughter, Susan Riskin, stood by for Ashley and Page. I saw her sub for Page and she was ok.

by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2024 2:04 AM

I like Meg Tilly in Psycho 2 and Body Snatchers. She had an interesting intensity about her. I think she is great in Agnes. (so innocent and angelic.)

by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2024 2:05 AM

There used to be a DL joke (along the lines of Jan Maxwell’s Manhattan Plaza apartment) that Elizabeth Ashley lived in an NYU dorm.

by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2024 2:06 AM

Ashley set her apartment on fire a number of years ago I remember.

by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2024 2:08 AM

I remember seeing Ashley on Live at Five when I was a kid. It became a family joke. She was just out of her mind on coke probably. She kept pulling out chapstick until Jack Cafferty laughed and asked if her lips were dry.

When they showed the clip of the movie she was promoting she got look 2 inches from the monitor and stared at it. She was really tripping.

by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2024 2:10 AM

I saw Ashley in Vanities with Barbara Sharma and Lesley Ann Warren.

by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2024 2:14 AM

I found the film tedious. On stage it was concentrated and intense. It's not really the type of material that transfers well to film. Geraldine Page, Elizabeth Ashley and Ammanda Plumber were more vivid than their film counterparts.

by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2024 2:17 AM

R41. That's the production where Lesley Ann skipped opening night to fly to LA for an audition (Superman?). There was, allegedly, alot of backstage drama with Liz and Lesley.

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2024 2:17 AM

Liz and Vanities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2024 2:20 AM

Ashley:

[quote]In my younger years, when the rest of them [referring to stars too focused on their careers] were sitting in Sardi's or in the Polo Lounge in Beverly Hills waiting for calls from their agents, I was on a plane with The Who, having a blast with Roger [Daltrey] and Pete [Townsend]. In my 30s, I circumnavigated the globe in my sailboat - twice. It was the best life ever. The only thing I ever minded was the time in the 80s when there were massive, savage rumors that I was on drugs. Being quite the disciplined person I am, that really pissed me off.

Her third husband was a cute guitarist who appeared with her in the Broadway flop, "Legend."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 19, 2024 2:22 AM

Elizabeth was offered the Martha Livingston part but was doing a film so had to turn the stage role down. Lee Remick was cast and played the role in tryouts in Boston. She was scheduled to bring the show to Broadway but withdrew by mutual consent. By this time Elizabeth was now available and took the role with the show's opening delayed for one week. Remick played in Boston on March 13 and the New York first preview was March 29.

by Anonymousreply 46August 19, 2024 6:50 AM

Wasn’t that Meg Tilly as Shorty’s girlfriend in Modern Family?

by Anonymousreply 47August 19, 2024 10:39 AM

I would have loved to have seen Dianne Wiest as Agnes.

by Anonymousreply 48August 19, 2024 10:47 AM

I believe Diane Wiest did a reading of the play prior to the production.

and

Didn't Anne Pitoniak originate the Mother role in the first production in Louisville with Mia Dillon as Agnes?

by Anonymousreply 49August 19, 2024 11:43 AM

Mia Dillon was also a vacation substitute for Plummer then came back when Plummer was ill (I believe she was suffering from malnutrition). She was very good. The original Agnes understudy was Sally Klein who was in the OBC Merrily.

by Anonymousreply 50August 19, 2024 12:13 PM

Dianne Wiest would have been all smiles.

by Anonymousreply 51August 19, 2024 1:39 PM

I thought I read that Michelle Pfeiffer tested for Agnes for the film. It's not IMDb trivia so maybe it's in Norman Jewison's book.

by Anonymousreply 52August 19, 2024 1:41 PM

R47 That was her older sister, DL fave Jennifer Tilly.

About 10 years ago, Meg starred in a Canadian stage production of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. As Martha!! Meg would have been a perfect Honey early in her career.

I would have loved to see scenes with her playing Martha.

by Anonymousreply 53August 19, 2024 7:57 PM

Cradling mug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 19, 2024 9:13 PM

Roger Ebert's 1⭐ review of the murky Agnes of God

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2024 4:55 PM

Amanda Plummer was the original Juliette Lewis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 23, 2024 11:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!