Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BBC to air "Mr. Loverman": series about two elderly, closeted Caribbean men in London

Two men in their seventies who have carried on a secret affair since their teenage years in Antigua

The BBC and Fable Pictures (Hullraisers, Rocks, Wild Rose, Stan & Ollie) have released brand new pictures from Mr Loverman, the forthcoming eight-part drama series based on Booker prize winning author Bernardine Evaristo’s best-selling 2013 novel of the same name. The series will air this autumn on BBC iPlayer and BBC One.

The new pictures show Lennie James (Save Me, Line of Duty) as the exuberant protagonist Barrington Jedidiah Walker alongside three-time Olivier Award winner Sharon D Clarke (Doctor Who, Informer), who stars as Carmel Walker, Barrington’s wife of five decades. Ariyon Bakare (Life, His Dark Materials) plays Barrington’s best friend and soulmate, Morris De La Roux, while Tamara Lawrance (Get Millie Black, Time series two) and Sharlene Whyte (Small Axe, Stephen) star as Barrington and Carmel’s daughters, Maxine and Donna. Tahj Miles (Death in Paradise, Small Axe), will play Daniel, Donna’s son and Carmel and Barrington’s grandson.

Barrington Jedidiah Walker, Barry to his mates, is a seventy-four year old, Antiguan born, exuberant Hackney personality, renowned for his dapper taste and fondness for retro suits. Carmel, his wife of 50 years, senses that Barry has been cheating on her with other women. Little does she know what’s really going on: a secret, passionate affair with his best friend and soulmate, Morris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2024 11:18 PM

I'm in, mainly for Lennie James. But the story sounds interesting too. My VPN will finally get some use.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2024 5:56 PM

Looking forward to this.

Sharon Dee Clarke was a late 80s early 90s dance superstar.

Her career as the black Hazell Dean/ Eurodance Tracy Chapman under the name Vivienne Courtland was not a success, but she had huge hits under her own name on the Italia dance cover of Going Back To My Roots and Nomad's I Wanna Give You Devotion.

And now she's the British Audra McDonald with her countless Oliviers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2024 6:17 PM

I love Lennie James, he’s great in everything.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2024 6:24 PM

Pretty face.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2024 6:29 PM

[quote] BBC to air "Mr. Loverman … closeted Caribbean men

BBC to air BBC?

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2024 6:52 PM

Mr Loverman (Shabba)

Mr Loverman (Shabba)

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2024 8:02 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. I hope this adaptation lives up to it.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2024 8:23 PM

It's a lighthearted enough story, but also very sad because Barrington and his wife could both have led fulfilling lives with other, genuine partners out in the open instead of making each other's lives miserable. They both carried on down-low relationships instead (though she was hetero).

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2024 8:32 PM

This sounds better than that likely-disastrous Golden Girls reboot.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2024 8:36 PM

Just watched 'Save Me' season 1. It's created, written and stars James. It's brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2024 2:14 AM

Defund the BBC already.

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2024 5:03 AM

Defund the BBC because it has adapted a book by an award winning British novelist starring multiple award winning actors?

Or defund the BBC because it as a produced a tv drama written by a black woman about black people starring black people?

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2024 8:40 AM

R12 Don't expect logic from the Defund BBC crowd. They've been told the BBC is all fake news, is massively biased and only employees lefty liberals. Therefore there's no reasoning with them.

They're usually fine with MP Nigel Farage doing fuck all, never spending any time in Clacton, and being paid just shy of £100K a month for appearing on GB News.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2024 9:05 AM

Would love to see this.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2024 10:31 AM

This starts on the BBC tonight. TONIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2024 6:31 PM

This is interesting. I’m definitely going to try to catch it.

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2024 6:37 PM

Wait the guy who sang Mr Loverman was a batty boy?

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2024 7:14 PM

Yeah R17, it's a biopic of Shabba Ranks and his love affair with Jermaine Stewart who sang We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off To Have A Good Time Nah Nah.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2024 7:40 PM

I read the delightful novel years ago and enjoyed it thoroughly, as it presented a realistic portrayal of my Caribbean circle of friends and their families.

I hope the broadcast series will be made available to those of us in the Americas.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2024 7:51 PM

All 8 episodes are available to stream via iPlayer - get yourself a VPN (not a VPL) and enjoy R19.

For some reason they have produced 8 30 minute episodes rather than 4 hour long episodes.

First impressions: the internal monologue is a bit jarring, the jumping across different eras is a bit confusing and the first kiss was filmed so strangely as if the actors didn't want their lips to touch. And stage school grandson is hmmm.

But it looks lovely and feels authentic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2024 8:24 PM

WHET Hazelle Goodman?

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2024 8:30 PM

I only know Lennie James from "Line of Duty," but I also recognized Tahj Miles from "Death in Paradise," and Lochlann O'Mearáin from "Harry Wild."

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2024 8:49 PM

They showed the first two episodes tonight and I thought it was very good. I will watch the other episodes via iPlayer.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2024 9:24 PM

Interview with the author here.

If you want to access with a simple browser extension that cuts through the Beeb's VPN-blocking BS , look up Brit VPN (all one word).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2024 5:22 AM

Guardian review:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2024 11:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!