Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christina Crawford

Was she telling the truth, or lying?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2024 7:19 PM

Joan was, most likely, strict but Christina's recollections seem exaggerated and over the top. Much like Faye's performance.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2024 3:04 PM

Define “truth”.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2024 4:08 PM

Maybe I did it for a little publicity.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2024 9:00 PM

I think it's the truth. I think she (Christina) comes across as unlikable and humorless, so people don't want to believe her.

All of Joan's Hollywood friends who claim "Joan would never ..." Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2024 9:31 PM

As someone who grew up with a mother who suffered from borderline personality disorder, I can tell you that the book portrays that with scary accuracy. Anyone who isn’t familiar with the disorder couldn’t have made this stuff up from one’s imagination. It’s actually very textbook behavior.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2024 9:35 PM

Yeah no Joan apologist here. I was raised by a narcissist so my sympathies lie with Christina.

I also enjoyed the more recent "I'm Glad My Mom Died" by Jeanette McCurdy.

Just because you met some old queen who liked Joan, don't think we all do.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2024 9:37 PM

Angela Lansbury said she knew from personal experience that many of the stories in the book were true.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2024 9:38 PM

R7 Helen Hayes said in her memoir "Joan Crawford was many things but what she should have never been, was a mother. Joan was not rational in her raising of children. You might say she was strict or stern but cruel is probably the right word."

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2024 9:39 PM

My thoughts are that my closets are all filled with wooden hangers.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2024 9:40 PM

I'm not going to call Tina a straight-up liar, but I do think she or her editor "heightened" things to sell books, and then the movie just went off the rails. There are two sides to every story, and Joan never got to tell hers. Tina was wrong and just gave in to her trashy origins, to betray her mother that way.

Any actress who may have commented on Joan's parenting shouldn't be believed, either; they weren't in the house.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2024 9:45 PM

People love to call Christina money grubbing. If I got tortured and abused like that I would want some money too for my pain and suffering.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2024 9:47 PM

Mommie Dearest reads like a very long National Enquirer article. Joan was a complicated person and I don’t doubt there was abuse and strict rules. Christina was pissed she didn’t get an inheritance, so she wrote an intentionally sensationalized book people would eat up and they sure did. Of course Faye’s incredible (albeit overwrought) performance in the film solidified this. It’s a fun, quick read that shouldn’t be taken very seriously. It was an essential novelty book for many a fag back then and still is today.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2024 9:49 PM

I do understand the lurid, campy appeal of the book and movie, but I've always felt very weird about Mommie Dearest. Either it's basically true, in which case we're all (mostly) laughing at horrific child abuse. Or it's exaggerated or false, in which case we're continually damaging the reputation of a very accomplished woman who, by all accounts, cared more about her reputation than anything else.

I personally suspect that Mommie Dearest is true in the overall picture it paints, even if specific incidents were exaggerated or made up. I've read a lot about Joan and she was very much a Type-A individual who set exceedingly high, punishing standards for herself. I can easily see someone like that crossing the line from 'stern disciplinarian' to 'abusive' with their children, possibly without realizing it. I think Joan also had a bit of a chip on her shoulder about having come from a poor, terrible background and having to work so hard to become successful; I can see her taking a "it was tough for me, nobody helped me, I need to prepare them for a harsh world" attitude to child-rearing.

But clearly I'm projecting a bit here.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2024 11:15 PM

Joan can be an incredibly kind person to loved ones, friends and kitties and still be a terrible mother.

Joan can be recognized for her talents and professionalism and still be legitimately criticized for how poorly she acted when she brought up, at minimum, her two oldest adopted children.

Both things can be true.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2024 1:24 AM

The book I would have written about my parents in my 20s or 30s is very different than the book I would write now at 50. Time has a way of adding more context to the narrative. I think Tina wrote a book, partially out of anger, and then editors, publishers, and filmmakers took her words and made them more than what even Tina intended (that's the benefit of the doubt I'm giving her). Various actors and actresses commenting on Joan's parenting are trafficking salacious gossip. One thing we know about Joan is that she always played Joan Crawford. Even if her world were falling around her at home, the public and her peers wouldn't see it.

by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2024 3:51 PM

Barbara please!

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2024 4:33 PM

I never laid a fucking hand on those kids.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2024 4:36 PM

There’s a lunatic who’s constantly changing Joan Crawford’s Wikipedia page to edit out the abuse. This person is the same one making all of the anti-Bette Davis pages. Wikipedia is voting to ban them. They started a christinacrawfordlies Instagram and YouTube channel.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2024 4:39 PM

According to an interview in “With Love, Mommie Dearest”, Christina denies writing the book for financial gain, as she claims she was doing well for herself on her own. Her reasoning was because the press got ahold of the will and was having a field day with the disinheritance, with lots of speculation as to what those “awful” children had done. She wanted to share her side of the story because of that.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2024 4:43 PM

R18 Must be the “Concluding Chapter of Crawford” nut.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2024 4:44 PM

R20, there’s another one, believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2024 5:11 PM

Christina had every right to tell her story. She was used like so many other children by the studio system.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2024 5:11 PM

There were many eyewitness accounts of Joan being abusive.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2024 5:12 PM

[quote] Christina denies writing the book for financial gain

As long as you're telling the truth, I don't see anything wrong in writing a book for financial gain. Especially if you got disinherited by a wealthy parent AND you wanted to dispel false rumors.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2024 5:17 PM

I don't understand why people think the things in the book or movie are "probably true but exaggerated." Is it because you don't believe parents are that abusive, or you don't believe Joan Crawford could be that abusive?

The rage, acting almost as if possessed by the rage, is a hallmark of abuse.

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2024 5:23 PM

People are in denial about actual human behavior behind closed doors.

You can have 2 people grow up in the same household and they have 2 very different accounts.

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2024 5:24 PM

Victims of abuse are often singly targeted by stealth aggressors who are beloved and respected by other family, community and the public. I believe Christina. So many of St Joan’s stans are unhinged (especially in the Facebook group) and have a creepy obsession and hatred for Christina. She’ll have the last laugh living rent free in so many heads.

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2024 5:26 PM

R21 Oh? Any details? Is he in cahoots with Bryan Johnston?

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2024 5:26 PM

Christina's Wikipedia page has a lengthy rant by Myrna Loy.

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2024 6:07 PM

Christina’s page was also recently edited by the Crawford loon.

by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2024 6:38 PM

“Your truth? Your twisted little arsewipe truth?”

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2024 7:02 PM

People also seem to forget that Christina's book was the first book of its kind and so there was no telling how it would be received by the public and that it would become so successful. Nearly fifty years after its publication and now living in a confessional cultural era, speaking of parental abuse today is commonplace. Christina's book went along way in making talking about abuse okay and many an abuse victim has talked about how Christina's book opened the door for public conversation about child abuse. What I'm trying to say is that people discussing the financial and other benefits that Christina garnered from the book's publication were not a reality at the time it was first published.

by Anonymousreply 32August 18, 2024 7:11 PM

[quote] What I'm trying to say is that people discussing the financial and other benefits that Christina garnered from the book's publication were not a reality at the time it was first published.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 33August 18, 2024 7:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!