Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Today marks the 85th anniversary of the premiere of “The Wizard of Oz” 🍿

Today marks the 85th anniversary of the premiere of “The Wizard of Oz” 🍿 On August 15, 1939, the film premiered at Grauman’s Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. in Los Angeles. Attendees included much of the main cast, as well as Hollywood stars and studio executives. Tickets were also on sale to the public for the premiere, costing $2.20/seat.

Judy Garland did not attend as she was in New York in preparation for the New York premiere a few days later.

Photo 1: Bleachers were set up so the crowd could watch the stars arrive

Photo 2: A look at Grauman’s courtyard, famous for its hand and footprints, decorated for Oz’s premiere, complete with cornfield and set pieces from the Emerald City

Photo 3: Fred Stone, who played the Scarecrow in the 1903 Broadway production, and Ray Bolger, MGM’s Scarecrow

Photo 4: Charley Grapewin, who played Uncle Henry, poses with a Tin Man

Photo 5: Billie Burke, Glinda in the film, poses with several of the Munchkin actors who were hired to greet guests at the premiere

Photo 6: Several of the Munchkins from the film pose for a photo-op

Photo 7: An advertisement for the premiere

Photo 8: Souvenir programs were handed out to guests

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 4, 2024 6:32 PM

Many celebrities came to visit the fantastical sets of “The Wizard of Oz” 🌈 Pictured here are three famous actors of the time.

Image 1: Actress Myrna Loy shaking hands with the smallest Munchkin, Olga Nardone (who portrayed 3 different Munchkin characters in the film).

Image 2: Actor Mickey Rooney, teen heartthrob of the era and frequent co-Star of Judy Garland, schmoozing with Ray Bolger.

Image 3: Actress Norma Shearer visits the Munchkinland set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2024 10:54 PM

But it’s the 16th. You’re a day late.

If you only had a brain.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2024 10:54 PM

Here’s my ticket!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2024 10:57 PM

I remember in August, 1989 the movie was released to major theaters in a restored version (restored by 1989 standards) to celebrate the 50th anniversary. My friends and i went, as we only saw it on the small-screen TV (no big screen TV back then). What a movie to see on the big screen - wow ! The magic really took over - especially when the film changed over from sepia tone to color.

In November, we went to see 'Gone With The Wind' for the 50th Anniversary. Again - it was spectacular to see this on the big screen in it's restored version. The fire scene was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2024 11:05 PM

A masterpiece

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2024 11:23 PM

Most people don't know that the last half of the movie was actually directed by King Vidor, and not Victor Fleming. Fleming had to leave OZ early to start work on Gone With the Wind.

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2024 11:29 PM

Meanwhile, Hitler plots war in Europe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2024 12:02 AM

R7 You're a delight at parties, aren't you ?

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2024 2:17 AM

I bet Louis B. Mayer didn’t even let Judy have popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2024 2:27 AM

Why didn't Margaret Hamilton receive an Oscar nomination for her portrayal of The Wicked Witch of the West? It has to be one of the biggest oversights in Oscar history

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:

WINNER: HATTIE MCDANIEL Gone with the Wind

NOMINEES:

OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND Gone with the Wind

GERALDINE FITZGERALD Wuthering Heights

EDNA MAY OLIVER Drums along the Mohawk

MARIA OUSPENSKAYA Love Affair

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2024 3:04 PM

Has anyone seen Oz in IMAX? Is it that great?should it be on our bucket list?-thx

by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2024 4:19 AM

OP, it is actually September 1st now. Please edit your thread title, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 12September 1, 2024 4:37 AM

Quite remarkable special effects for 1939.

by Anonymousreply 13September 1, 2024 4:46 AM

I’m not sure IMAX would do a 1939 film any favours.

by Anonymousreply 14September 1, 2024 7:35 AM

I went to see TWOO back in 2019 at a Regal Cinema near me for the 80th anniversary. I was SO EXCITED!

Before Dorothy had gotten as far as the Cowardly Lion the film had stopped for three or four minutes, five or times. At that point the theater manager came in and said the movie was over and to please leave. They gave everyone a free pass for another movie. I was SO DISAPPOINTED!

I still haven’t used the free movie pass and saw in the paper that that movie theater just closed and they are turning it into a mega gym.

by Anonymousreply 15September 1, 2024 8:03 AM

I used to walk by the Chinese Theater every day when I live there back in the late 80's, had no idea it premiered there. So strange to see how it changed over the years. Most tourists never go inside but it's really a beautiful theater more interesting than the exterior. Lots of red.

by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2024 8:15 AM

[quote]I still haven’t used the free movie pass and saw in the paper that that movie theater just closed and they are turning it into a mega gym

Which will now allow you one free visit to the gym (without trainer), provided you sit through their upsell on memberships.

by Anonymousreply 17September 1, 2024 8:24 AM

The last time I saw Oz on the big screen it was weirdly formatted so that it didn't fill-up the entire screen. And the sound wasn't that great.

Maybe AI can update it for modern screens and modern tastes? My secret wish is they can add special f/x not available in 1939. Maybe even insert edited footage.

by Anonymousreply 18September 1, 2024 8:32 AM

Whizshard of Oszh!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 19September 1, 2024 8:38 AM

Judy Garland and Margaret Hamilton reunited after 30 years on the Merv Griffin Show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 1, 2024 3:37 PM

From someone who knew Margaret Hamilton:

❤️Believe it or not, I actually got to know Maggie when I lived in NY. She considered and treated a friend of mine like he was part of her family and that’s how I met her. I was really young and she was quite old at the time, but she could not have been more friendly and open and treated us like we were her grandchildren. She had the best & most interesting stories from all the movies she had done. The thing I remember most was how she tried to answer every piece of fan mail she got! She had six or seven pictures from the Wizard of Oz, that she would sign and give to people. Another picture that she would sign was when she was “Cora the coffee lady” in the commercials. This post really reminded me of some beautiful memories!❤️

by Anonymousreply 21September 1, 2024 3:40 PM

While others may vie for my favorite film ("All ABout Eve," "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir," "Sunset Blvd," "Witness for the Prosecution," "Judgment at Nuremberg" to name a few), "The Wizard of Oz" is undeniably the most important film in my life. Seeing it every year on TV imprinted so much on both my conscious and unconscious life.

by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2024 3:41 PM

R21 Against all expectations, she was a very charming and wise Mdame Armfeldt when I saw the national tour of "A Little Night Music" on its Chicago stop.

by Anonymousreply 23September 1, 2024 3:42 PM

Ironically, I bet Margaret died with more money than Judy, mainly due to her Maxwell House commercials in the 1970s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 1, 2024 3:50 PM

[quote] "The Wizard of Oz" is undeniably the most important film in my life. Seeing it every year on TV imprinted so much on both my conscious and unconscious life.

R22, I agree. I told this story here before I think but it repeat it. It’s one of those moments in many young gays’ childhoods akin to dialing with a pencil.

When I was 5 or 6 years old I didn’t understand the idea of film and thought they had to remake the movie every year to show it again. I didn’t know much but one thing this little sissy was sure was that I sang ‘Somewhere Over The Rainbow’ better than even Dorothy and the man in charge of making the movie every year was going to find me and have me sing it instead of Judy. If not this year, then certainly next!

My naive mind did recognize that though clearly the best singer, I didn’t really embody the role of Dorothy as well as Miss Garland, so I had it decided already that I would, ever magnanimous, allow Judy to continue in the role as Dorothy except for that scene where I would shine.

by Anonymousreply 25September 1, 2024 9:45 PM

Oh look: one of the Wicked Witches has joined us at r2.

by Anonymousreply 26September 1, 2024 10:01 PM

R26, I’m not a witch. I’m a Virgo.

by Anonymousreply 27September 1, 2024 10:07 PM

R 19- that was a-a unique post.

by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2024 11:03 PM

I don’t have a clip but do we agree the worst ‘’special effects’’ was when WWW in miniature flying from castle to the Emerald City. That could have been cut without affecting the story. Maybe they were out of money and time-definitely out of ideas.

by Anonymousreply 29September 4, 2024 2:26 PM

Did the munchkins really have wild drunken orgies during filming?

by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2024 3:55 PM

Yes r30

by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2024 4:50 PM

[quote] Has anyone seen Oz in IMAX? Is it that great?should it be on our bucket list?-thx

I did at the largest IMAX screen in Southern California, the Edwards. It was a bust. The picture did not fill the IMAX screen, it was centered and boxed top, bottom and sides in black, so what you saw was no bigger than what you'd see in a regular theater. It was also in 3D, and that wasn't so bad. Latyer, I bought the 3D Bluray and I must say they did an amazing job with it. The painted backgrounds like the mountains in the distance gained dimension and looked, well, 3D.

by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2024 5:05 PM

Oh, Mama hated thoshe Munchkinsh!

by Anonymousreply 33September 4, 2024 6:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!