Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Weird & Obscure Movies

I’ll start: Mumford, it is set in a small town where a new psychologist (Loren Dean) gives offbeat advice to the neurotic residents. Both the psychologist and the town are named Mumford, a coincidence that eventually figures in the plot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2024 1:04 AM

I really enjoyed "Mumford" because it was decidedly different. Loren Dean was also very good in it and I'd have expected a bigger career from him. A guy I used to date in L.A. dated Loren for a while. Said he was very quiet, almost withdrawn, but had a great sense of humor and was fun to be around.

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2024 3:10 PM

Loren Dean is gay? Did everyone but me know this?

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2024 3:20 PM

Eraserhead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2024 3:21 PM

R2 it’s nowhere else on the Internet. R1 just outed him here.

DATALOUNGE EXCLUSIVE

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2024 4:15 PM

I thought it was common knowledge although he has always been reticent in talking about his personal life with the press or media. When they thought he was going to be the next happening thing, he was probably advised to not overshare, back in the 90's. I heard about it from friends who regularly saw him with dates at the Abbey and other West Hollywood spots.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2024 4:30 PM

You Kill Me - An alcoholic hitman overshares in AA meetings. It was a little indie with a tiny budget, but stars Ben Kingsley and Tea Leoni with Bill Pullman, Dennis Farina, and Luke Wilson in supporting roles. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2024 5:45 PM

"Return of the Secaucus 7"

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2024 5:54 PM

The Anniversary Party, 2001, with Alan Cumming, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Phoebe Cates. I think this is Phoebe Cates' last role (and she did it for Jennifer as a favor).

It's a really good "in the moment" type of movie, absolutely LOVE the house where this was filmed in LA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2024 6:15 PM

Buio Omega/Beyond the Darkness (1979). It's a trashy Italian horror film, probably not classy enough to be considered giallo. It's graphic, it's gross, and I hate myself for loving it. The twist-ending is so over-the-top and satisfying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2024 10:27 PM

Häxan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2024 10:45 PM

This was bizarre. I watched it on TV years ago and never forgot it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2024 10:47 PM

Are these films available NOW to be viewed anywhere? If not this thread is just a list of "one time,I saw this movie, so weird, totally," Which is kind of pointless/useless.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2024 10:51 PM

R12 needs a DVD player and an eBay account

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2024 11:08 PM

r12 needs a Valium.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2024 11:13 PM

The Bothersome Man. A man kills himself and is sent to a comfortable yet joyless purgatory

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2024 11:30 PM

You'll never be the same afterward..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2024 11:51 PM

Miss Jackson, if you're lonely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2024 11:55 PM

I don't know about 'obscure' (it *is* Steven Soderbergh, after all), but I enjoyed the film "Bubble" (2005), about three people working in a doll factory, where one gets jealous of the budding relationship between the other two and "takes matters into her own hands." Half the scenes seemed to be of workers heating up food from various fast-food restaurants in the kitchen microwave and having some of the most realistic, mumbling, un-cinematic dialogue ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2024 11:59 PM

That sounds pretty good, r18. I'm going to watch it tonight or tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2024 12:10 AM

Years ago I caught an interesting little movie called Bug on cable. Not the Ashley Judd movie or the giant cockroach movie from the 70s. This one is a low-budget interconnecting character study about the effects of a little kid stepping on a bug on the sidewalk. No major stars but many familiar faces (Sarah Paulson, John Carroll Lynch, Brian Cox, Jamie Kennedy, Ed Begley Jr.). Doesn't have the budget to pull off its Altman aspirations but it's an entertaining watch if you can find it. It doesn't appear to be streaming anywhere and I couldn't even find the trailer on YouTube. Many websites incorrectly give the synopsis of the Ashley Judd movie if they list it at all. I've seen the DVD available at Dollar Tree so that may be the only way to track it down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2024 10:40 PM

R12 every mafuckin post from this moron is the same. I can smell the bastard a mile away

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2024 11:28 PM

Sounds like Gen Z pussy shit.

PASS.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2024 11:45 PM

Abandon 2002 Benjamin Bratt, Katie Holmes

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2024 11:47 PM

"The Beaver Trilogy." A short documentary about an Olivia Newton John impersonator in a small Utah town is remade twice with actors (first Sean Penn, then Crispin Glover).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2024 12:22 AM

Lake Mungo

by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2024 2:32 AM

Blood Rage, an 80s slasher movie which takes place on Thanksgiving Day. Louise Lasser's SERIOUSLY WEIRD performance makes it a must-see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2024 4:54 AM

Gathering around my hole

by Anonymousreply 27August 20, 2024 1:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!