Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Most overrated and underrated singers in terms of vocal

Overrated

Mariah Carey- she was...something in the early-mid 90's but then her voice got really tense and noisy. People also do not realize how often she either used full studio playback, prerecorded versions or lip synced hardest parts of songs f.e almost all "We belong together" climaxes were lip synced. She is at the same time so horrible and so good at lip syncing that sometimes u can't tell the difference and sometimes it looks like she couldn't give a flying fuck.

Christina Aguilera- named "the voice of generation" and praised to be a legendary singer with 4 octave range. In reality the quality of her voice is dubious at best- airy pushed low notes, strained basically screamed belts, head voice and falsetto are the best part of ber range and she demonstrated that she can hit decent G6 many times (What a girl wants). Her usable live range is C3-G6 which is less than 4 octaves but still decent. However most of her live performances is using 100 generic runs, glissandos, repeating "hieeeeeeeeyyyy" "yeeahhhhhhjejeeje" and dodging most important high notes - Fighter E5, Beautiful F#5, the voice within F#5. She rarely use playback- most of the times its too hit hard note -like F#5 from aint no other man or long E5 from Candyman. She is def worse than Ariana or Demi a nd the latter praise her like a god.

Underrated

Lady Gaga- despite the fact that Gaga was good singer since 2008 and her abilities only became better she was mostly remembered as attention seeker with weird designs and being a gay icon. Most people do not think about her as a great vocalist. She has great vocal technique, her range is consistent from C#3/D3 up to A5. Her belting really good and resonant.

Beyonce- another one who is imagined as a dancer rather than vocalist. Her entire vocal range a d technique is nearly perfect- she supports down to B2 and can belt as high as G5 with resonance and her head voice is also one of the best in the industry. I think her and Gaga underrated perception of vocals is due to the fact that they are performers- they have dancers around, walk half naked or do other shits while Mariah or Whitney were just standing and singing. (Both are terrible dancers tho).

by Anonymousreply 334September 23, 2024 6:14 PM

Most overrated: Miss Diane Ross

by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2024 12:34 PM

I would never suggest Mariah is overrated BUT as someone who likes a lot of her music, I find Butterfly (the album) mostly unlistenable. The singing is awful. Compare it to Emotions (which has her best singing) and it sounds bad.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2024 12:39 PM

Agree than Lady Gaga is underrated, she is a better singer than Adele.

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2024 12:39 PM

Overrated: Babs

Underrated: Donna Summer

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2024 12:49 PM

^Underground: Donna Summer.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2024 12:58 PM

Overrated: Adele. Really not that great of a voice at all. Her range is good, not amazing. And her tone is "meh".

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2024 1:01 PM

Overrated

Adele - has a pleasant tone and considerable power, but her technique is rather poor: she has serious problems negotiating her way through the upper passaggio, which means that her notes above G4 are often strained and have an underlying rasp that is unhealthy. That is why she often modifies the main melodic line to avoid them, or sometimes looks like she's in pain after hitting anything around the A4-C5 range. Her head voice is also quite limited, as she is only comfortable using it up to F5, and has difficulty controlling anything above it.

Demi Lovato - again, she has a pleasant tone and her voice is reasonably powerful. However, he lower range is forced, thin and murky, and she can only manage to add some heft to the notes below G3 by depressing her larynx. She starts straining at C5, and everything above E5 is openly screamed; in fact, it's surprising that she can rasp out G5s as often as she does, given how bad her vocal technique is. Her head voice sounds OK up to around A5, but everything above that is extremely strained and she starts using flageolet / whistle register around D6, which will destroy her vocal chords.

Leona Lewis - I know that she was a flash in the pan, but she was a huge star around 2005 / 2010. Her tone is very beautiful, her voice is agile and the fact that it is smaller and softer than that of most modern pop singers, actually lends a sweet quality to it that is very endearing. Sadly, she's got technical problems: she has never been comfortable singing below F3, and her lowest notes are VERY airy, to the point when they almost disintegrate. Her belts up to D5 are simply gorgeous, but she starts straining at Eb5 and above that, she becomes extremely inconsistent. Her head voice is very beautiful and well managed up to B5, but C6 and above are always thin, opaque and VERY strained. She's better than Adele and Demi, but not great by any stretch of the imagination.

Underrated

Nicole Scherzinger - the tone has a particularly strident quality to it that can make it sound unpleasant, but the voice is very powerful. The lowest note she's ever sung is E3, and she hits is every time with a healthy vibrato and good resonance. Her belts are extremely well controlled and she can go up to an open and resonant B5, but she tends to stay around the C5 - E5 range to preserve her vocal chords. She is classically trained and has proven to be extremely agile with her head voice, singing up to and sustaining a very clear and strong E6. She uses the flageolet register above that, so I won't count those notes as part of her range. Her problem is uneven material and the fact that when she applies much power to her belts, they develop a stridency that can be quite irritating for long periods.

Tamar Braxton - pleasant tone and reasonably powerful voice. The voice is extremely agile and she can execute impressive vocal runs and make beautiful ornamentations. Her lower range is soft and well managed, but she clearly isn't comfortable singing below G3. Her belts are very clean, open and resonant, without any sign of strain up to A5. Still, she tends to remain within the C5 - F5 range, which is where she's comfortable. Her head voice up to C6 is again gorgeous, but she tends to change the way she produces the sound above that, and tends to start whistling above that, even though she has proven that she can sing up to Eb6. In overall, she's a very good singer who is not known to many people as anything other than Toni's sister.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2024 2:01 PM

Nicole is very underrated

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2024 2:16 PM

And speaking of Christina and Demi, I cannot prevent myself from posting this marvel, which showcases La Aguilera's timeless Crack Voice technique. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2024 2:33 PM

I remember Adele saying early in her career that she always saw herself as going into A and R (no doubt she didn’t think she had the look for performance) so she probably didn’t put all that much time into technique. I do like her tone and wished she’d been a bit more adventurous with repertoire.

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2024 3:02 PM

R10 What is "A and R?"

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2024 3:03 PM

r11 I googled that

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2024 3:06 PM

OP "In reality the quality of her voice is dubious at best"

Applies to Beyonce, for sure

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2024 3:07 PM

Underated: Miley Cyrus, though I'm concerned about her obvious nicotine addiction ruining that.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2024 3:17 PM

The timbre of Adele's voice always sounds grating. Demi Lovato just screams everything.

Agreed about Gaga being underrated.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2024 3:29 PM

Miley's tone is awful. But her speaking voice is even worse.

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2024 3:33 PM

A&R=Artists & Repertoire

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2024 3:35 PM

I don’t know that Reba is underrated, at least in the country world, but mainstream pop culture doesn’t give her much credit as a vocalist, probably because of her twang. After her 1st divorce, she went blonde for a hot second and made an almost full pop album in the late 80s, which really pissed off the old country crowd and stopped her from further crossover attempts, but she’s great when she restrains herself. Probably one of the most unique voices in music, you immediately know it’s her - whether you’re a fan or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2024 3:42 PM

K.D. Lang and Linda Ronstadt are two vocalists that don't get the credit they deserve.

Also, I would place Gladys Knight way ahead of most of her contemporaries. Her voice has a richness that is unique as opposed to screechy Aretha or thin and flat Diana.

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2024 3:44 PM

Overrated: Beyonce, Taylor Swift (don't come at me bro), Adele

Rated correctly: Celine Dion, Barbra, Linda Ronstadt

Underrated (now): Cher (before autotune), Alison Moyet, Helen Terry, Patricia Kaas

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2024 3:45 PM

Miley can't sing for shit. the photos she took a while back squatting to piss in a parking garage are the metaphorical sounds of her vocals.

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2024 3:53 PM

Reba did get mainstream approval when she hit Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2024 3:54 PM

Miley has a unique tone, but she screeches.

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2024 3:54 PM

Underrated: Madonna... as a balladeer.

by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2024 4:10 PM

Overrated: Janis Joplin

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2024 4:42 PM

Adele.

Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2024 4:45 PM

R24, there are superior singers that would kill to have the tone Madonna does. She is a very warm singer. What's the point of singing like Christina Aguilera if you have the tone of Christina Aguilera?

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2024 4:52 PM

Michael Jackson does have a great voice but I find his singing as a kid way better than his adult singing. He had way too many annoying vocal tics as an adult. And it always makes me shake my head when his stans claim he is the greatest singer that ever lived; please! He's not even in the top 20.

by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2024 4:53 PM

Underrated: Layne Staley. Sounds like a fallen angel.

Overrated: Chris Cornell. Probably more range than Layne but way more prone to screeching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 16, 2024 4:54 PM

Ethel Merman

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2024 4:55 PM

R27 the irony that Christina's tone is considered as something special lol.

By the way Christina has very unfortunate name - she can be Whoritina, Cuntina, Floptina, Fattina, Screamtina

by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2024 5:08 PM

R31, one of my friends asked me if I didn't like Aguilera due to her "jazzy" voice. And I have no clue wtf he was talking about because I've listened to a lot of vocal jazz and nobody shrieks like Aguilera does. Or has that ugly tone. BTW, don't forget the best unfortunate name for her, Xtina. That's the one she gave herself.

by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2024 5:13 PM

R32 Floptina just really wanted to sound black and be like Etta James. Etta was also screaming but her voice was naturally dark and big so it was kinda fun. But Screamtina has very small light voice thats why she is the queen of low larynx.

In singing there is belief that if you are belting all the time u are good singer (same with acting if you are screaming and moaning).

by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2024 5:17 PM

Pink sings with much more honest musicianship than Aguilera - and pivoting to rock-edged bangers for millennial wine moms gave her a career extension than Aguilera hasn’t managed.

Celine Dion was the best and most consistent singer of the 90s Big Three (Mariah, Whitney, Celine), but because her English language stuff was terminally uncool adult contemporary, she never really gets her true flowers. Whitney only really connects to what she’s singing when she’s doing gospel music, Celine always “felt the fantasy” even when she was learning songs phonetically. Mariah is (or was) a great studio singer.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2024 5:41 PM

R34, agreed with most of what you posted but I think Whitney and Mariah were both better at their peaks than Celine. However, Celine was certainly more consistent than those two, especially Mariah. Whitney stopped being able to sing by the very late 90s (after My Love is Your Love). But Mariah stopped being able to sing as well after Daydream.

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2024 5:44 PM

R7, pop singers don’t have to adhere to that criteria. If they have a nice sound and can carry a tune, they can be considered good.

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2024 5:46 PM

Completely underrated: Melissa Manchester (As a singer and a songwriter)

She deserved a bigger mainstream career. I thought she came the closest to Streisand in terms of vocal power out of all of them. Her vocals are sublime, and she's currently touring as Mrs. Brice in Funny Girl.

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2024 5:47 PM

The one thing I will say about Whitney is that she was adamant against lip-synching. What you got was what you got (good or bad).

Mariah can be a great singer, but she is lazy. She's been lipping heavily since her vocal strain started, and if you believe this poster, she's now lip-synching all but two lines in her new Vegas show. Like one of the comments said, why doesn't she just do a hologram show at this rate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2024 5:50 PM

Underrated: Björk. Those who’ve tried to cover her cannot do what she does. Robyn (overrated) butchered Hyperballad at the Polar Music Prize and Björk was in the audience rolling her eyes.

Continuing with the Nordic evaluation…Overrated: Agnetha; Underrated: Frida

by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2024 5:55 PM

[quote]Like one of the comments said, why doesn't she just do a hologram show at this rate?

LOOOOVVVEEE this idea!

by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2024 6:03 PM

Most underrated: Selena Gomez.

She’s incredible.

by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2024 6:04 PM

R38 Whitney lip-synched her Super Bowl performance.

by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2024 6:05 PM

[quote][R38] Whitney lip-synched her Super Bowl performance.

I think she was forced to by the Super Bowl producers. She would have sung it live if allowed.

by Anonymousreply 43August 16, 2024 6:07 PM

I think Gaga's strength is how versatile her voice is.

She's not the very best singer of all time, but she is very, very good AND she can sing in any style. It makes her fun to follow because you never know what you'll get. To my point, she just released a retro Islands In The Stream style duet with Bruno Mars.

I still say her sweet spot is sitting at her piano and slowing down her biggest pop hits. It's always so cool when she does that.

by Anonymousreply 44August 16, 2024 6:18 PM

R43 So...she lip synched.

Got it.

by Anonymousreply 45August 16, 2024 6:29 PM

I completely agree with you r29.

and r25, shame!

by Anonymousreply 46August 16, 2024 6:36 PM

Beyoncé’s superpower is how disciplined and hard working she is. She might not be a “once in a generation”voice, but she’s very very good and has only gotten better. She’s also stunning and a great show pony performer. Sometimes she might feel a tad over-rehearsed, but I’d take that any day over Mariah’s lazy inhibited “live” performances.

by Anonymousreply 47August 16, 2024 6:37 PM

R46, big Chris Cornell fan? I like him, don't get me wrong, but I think Layne avoids shrieking whereas Cornell really leans into it.

by Anonymousreply 48August 16, 2024 6:44 PM

There is nothing remotely cool about try-hard Gaga

by Anonymousreply 49August 16, 2024 6:47 PM

R38 I watched the video and honesty I don't think Maruah can sing better than JLo in real life at this point. All the notes that are any more challanging wherever its belting or whistle or melismas are lipped- the only live parts are the parts that basically anyone can sing lol.

Again I don't know why Whitney or Mariah or Celine are praised as gods. All of them lost their voice in the mid 40s- Celine and Mariah bait with lip syncing and Whitneys final years were even worse than vocals of Rebecca Black.

Patti Labelle, Lisa Fisher, Vivian Reed are all in their 70s or 80s and they still have to problem to sing even better than in their earlier years. Like Patti at 79 still belted resonant Bb5 like nothing.

by Anonymousreply 50August 16, 2024 6:55 PM

Dua Lipa - overrated

by Anonymousreply 51August 16, 2024 7:07 PM

Overrated: Taylor Swift . She is overrated vocally, musically (uninspired, same song rinse repeat), visually (ugly bangs, weird face & teeth), zero fashion sense, terrible circle of friends (best friend is nasty mean girl Blake Lively), dating an oafish NFL player (conversation must be VERY compelling).

by Anonymousreply 52August 16, 2024 7:16 PM

I love when the singing musicologists share their insights. Thanks for the person who shared the link to A&R.

What about Dolly Parton? Rod Stewart? I don’t know anything about music.

by Anonymousreply 53August 16, 2024 7:17 PM

I guess not musicologists, vocal teachers.

by Anonymousreply 54August 16, 2024 7:18 PM

I’ll second k.d. lang as being underrated. “Trail of Broken Hearts” is my go-to song from her. Sublime.

by Anonymousreply 55August 16, 2024 7:19 PM

Taylor Swift is closeted dyke with beards

by Anonymousreply 56August 16, 2024 7:20 PM

Sheena Easton is/was underrated. Even when she was popular she was underrated.

by Anonymousreply 57August 16, 2024 7:22 PM

Patti LaBelle on Ariana Grande:

"Ariana can sing me under the table—and listen, I can sing.”

“She’s surpassed her peers. And she does everything herself, which is not always the way with the young baby girls. She doesn’t need any machines. She’s a baby who’s able to sing like an older black woman.”

by Anonymousreply 58August 16, 2024 7:31 PM

You're joking, right, r19?

Linda Ronstadt is a LEGEND. And K. D. was chosen to sing "Hallelujah" at two Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 59August 16, 2024 7:33 PM

Dionne says that Beyonce and Ariana are the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 16, 2024 7:34 PM

Corpse has a proven history of being wrong r60

by Anonymousreply 61August 16, 2024 7:40 PM

Madonna, being the Empress if Beyonce is the Queen, is Goldilocks, neither over- or under-rated. She has a perfect Pop voice, doesn't require trills or runs or warbles or WTH those practice-scales are called.

That said, Christina when she won the Grammy over Britney was accurately rated. But she decided to rival Mariah instead of singin' the Blues, a genre to which IMHO Christina is eminently suited. And so sputter, sputter, sputter.

Under-rated as a soloist: Adam Lambert.

by Anonymousreply 62August 16, 2024 7:44 PM

r48, you misunderstood me. I completely agree that Layne is a better vocalist than Chris. I was shaming the idea of Janis being overrated.

by Anonymousreply 63August 16, 2024 7:44 PM

I've never thought Roger Daltry got the praise he deserved for his incredible vocals.

by Anonymousreply 64August 16, 2024 7:45 PM

R29 They were both absurdly talented. Chris Cornell on Jesus Christ Pose is pretty crazy. Layne Staley doing Love Hate Love live is a technical powerhouse. They were both trained in opera by the same vocal coach. Layne had Chris record the lessons on cassette for him before he could afford to pay for the classes.

by Anonymousreply 65August 16, 2024 7:48 PM

Eddie Vedder, Joni Mitchell, and Maria Callas. I'll see myself out.

by Anonymousreply 66August 16, 2024 7:48 PM

Which category/categories, r66?

by Anonymousreply 67August 16, 2024 7:50 PM

Another vote for Alison Moyet.

by Anonymousreply 68August 16, 2024 7:53 PM

R51 Dua Lipa is a singer?

by Anonymousreply 69August 16, 2024 7:54 PM

What is a Dua Lips??

by Anonymousreply 70August 16, 2024 7:56 PM

Dula Peep

by Anonymousreply 71August 16, 2024 8:12 PM

Mariah is very overrated as a vocalist. She is a studio singer who has not produced a live vocal that could be duplicated by Ariana Grande or Xtina.

UNDERRATED

Diana Ross is always maligned but she has a beautiful tone and pleasant pitch. I can listen to her voice all day.

Linda Ronstadt

Laura Nyro

Chaka Khan

Phyllis Hyman

by Anonymousreply 72August 16, 2024 8:14 PM

[quote] I think she was forced to by the Super Bowl producers. She would have sung it live if allowed.

Whitney sang it live a few weeks after the Superbowl BETTER than the recording.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 16, 2024 8:19 PM

I don't think a lot of folks on this thread understand what "underrated" means.

It doesn't mean "bad." It means "good, but frequently overlooked, forgotten, or overshadowed."

by Anonymousreply 74August 16, 2024 8:20 PM

Beyonce is PEERLESS as a live performer. Her voice is good but undistinguished. Her live show cannot be touched.

by Anonymousreply 75August 16, 2024 8:23 PM

Okay, hear me out. No, not a phenomenal singer with range, but I do think Belinda Carlisle is underrated as a vocalist—in terms of what she was singing back in the day. At the least, she had a unique voice that wasn’t like anyone else’s.

Again, NO, I’m not saying she’s the greatest singer of all time or anything.

by Anonymousreply 76August 16, 2024 8:26 PM

[quote]Completely underrated: Melissa Manchester

Melissa Manchester is a DREADFUL singer. She knows nothing about breathing. A few excellent songs as a songwriter that are perfectly rated as good. Comparing her voice and singing (not the same thing) to Streisand shows you know very little about the craft.

by Anonymousreply 77August 16, 2024 8:34 PM

[quote]Beyoncé’s superpower is how disciplined and hard working she is. She might not be a “once in a generation”voice, but she’s very very good and has only gotten better. She’s also stunning and a great show pony performer. Sometimes she might feel a tad over-rehearsed, but I’d take that any day over Mariah’s lazy inhibited “live” performances.

I feel the problem with Beyonce is that she's almost always over rehearsed. Nothing with her ever feels spontaneous. As a result, she doesn't have moments that really stand out. Everything just blends together.

And I definitely feel that way with her singing. Aside from a couple of songs, I don't feel compelled to listen to her stuff over and over. I bumped that cowboy album once. Same with her dance album. It all comes across as try too hard. There's no grit to most of it.

Maybe If her stans didn't overhype the shit out of her it might be a different story.

by Anonymousreply 78August 16, 2024 9:10 PM

R77 fuck off now queeny

by Anonymousreply 79August 16, 2024 9:16 PM

Underrated - Melissa Manchester

by Anonymousreply 80August 16, 2024 9:16 PM

Underrated - Lynda Carter

by Anonymousreply 81August 16, 2024 9:20 PM

I don't think Mariah is overrated, but her vocal prime didn't last that long. When she divorced Tommy Mottola, she lacked the discipline to maintain a functioning voice and perform live consistently. After Daydream, that's when you noticed very hit-or-miss performances. In a recent Black Music Archive video about the whistle register, an opera singer noted that Mariah's overuse of that earlier in her career contributed to her voice becoming what it is today: non-functioning. At this point, she should just retire if she's lipsynching 90% of the time. It's a fucking embarrassment at this point.

by Anonymousreply 82August 16, 2024 9:21 PM

Underrated - Cheryl Ladd

by Anonymousreply 83August 16, 2024 9:21 PM

[Quote] When she divorced Tommy Mottola

So fucking tired of hearing this line every time her stupid name is mentioned on the DL. Hate her sickening Xmas song no matter how many times it gets foisted upon me.

by Anonymousreply 84August 16, 2024 9:23 PM

Underrated - Cybill Shepherd

by Anonymousreply 85August 16, 2024 9:39 PM

Underrated - Linda Lavin

by Anonymousreply 86August 16, 2024 9:55 PM

Underrated- Selena Gomez

by Anonymousreply 87August 16, 2024 9:59 PM

R82 I can't find this video I hope its not behind a paywall.

by Anonymousreply 88August 16, 2024 9:59 PM

My favorite is Linda Ronstadt. She's the same age as Dolly Parton but seems a decade younger. I agree that the singers mentioned are good, but listening to some of the songs posted, they make my ears bleed. Linda's voice is the opposite of grating, Smooth and healing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 16, 2024 10:01 PM

R63, got it, my bad!

by Anonymousreply 90August 16, 2024 10:01 PM

R65, that makes complete sense, those two are the vocal titans of 90s rock. Kurt Cobain could NEVER.

by Anonymousreply 91August 16, 2024 10:02 PM

R76, Belinda certainly has more range than Paula Abdul. Not that it means much. But I also love her voice. She sounds incredible on I Get Weak, Circle in the Sand, Summer Rain, etc.

by Anonymousreply 92August 16, 2024 10:03 PM

Mariah Carey has always said she considers herself a writer more than anything, and I think she's a seriously overlooked/underrated songwriter. She's very good at it.

I agree about Aguilera. She has a powerful voice but she has no control over it. Just honk honk honk all the time. I can't bear to listen to her. Kelly Clarkson has similar honkability but she has much better judgment over how she uses her voice.

Tori Amos is overlooked and underrated as a vocalist because of her piano prowess and her songwriting and her apparent kookiness. I think she's a great singer for the same reason some would say she's not: she doesn't always sing beautifully, but she can. She chooses to use her voice as an emotive instrument. When she was young, she had an incredible range and a gorgeous voice.

Jewel—somehow, I feel like she was both overrated and underrated as a singer and I can't explain that.

Vanessa Williams is overlooked. The texture of her voice is soooo gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 93August 16, 2024 10:23 PM

R93, one of my favorite Tori performances

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 16, 2024 10:29 PM

And another

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 16, 2024 10:29 PM

R95 This is a kind of odd performance but it demonstrates the dynamism of her voice with no accompaniment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 16, 2024 10:36 PM

Who is the reference group for these generally accepted ratings that are too high and too low. In my crowd, k.d. lang is rated a sublime singer. In other words, very highly rated. Which she deserves. So who is "underrating" k.d. lang? The tasteless and crass hoi polloi? Who gives a flying fuck about their ratings?

by Anonymousreply 97August 16, 2024 11:00 PM

The irony is that at this point I think Jlo can sing better than Mariah

by Anonymousreply 98August 16, 2024 11:00 PM

And... for crissakes, someone has invoked the Belinda Carlisle Stan. Lord help us.

by Anonymousreply 99August 16, 2024 11:02 PM

R98 is JLo

by Anonymousreply 100August 16, 2024 11:09 PM

Why, Melissa Manchester, it's so nice to hear from you - ALL OVER THIS THREAD!

Cheers!

by Anonymousreply 101August 16, 2024 11:10 PM

Appropriately rated, in my crowd: Sinéad O'Connor, David Byrne, Prince, Boy George, George Michael, Alison Moyet, Tracey Thorn, Madonna, Patti Smith, Chrissie Hynde, Debbie Harry, Marc Almond (we all know he can't sing but appreciate what he does, anyway). Etc

I break from my crowd and find Annie Lennox overrated. People tend to highly rate her. Meh.

Recently I've had a change of heart about Gaga and find her underrated by my crowd.

by Anonymousreply 102August 16, 2024 11:10 PM

Beyonce's performances are robotic, over-affected, and weird.

by Anonymousreply 103August 16, 2024 11:54 PM

[quote] I can't find this video I hope its not behind a paywall.

He took the video down because Mariah's fans dragged the fuck out of the channel owner and the opera singer. Lol.

[quote] [R98] is JLo

Exactly. No one in their right mind would say that JLo is a better singer than Mariah Carey, even at Mariah's lowest vocal state. Mariah's range may be in the trash today, but she still has musicality.

by Anonymousreply 104August 16, 2024 11:57 PM

J Lo still hasn't found the right note

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 17, 2024 12:10 AM

I think Ann Wilson is underrated. I think people acknowledge her greatness but I think she's right at the top of female rock vocalists. I think she deserves the title Queen of Rock much more than Joplin who struck me as a very one dimensional singer with a fairly unpleasant tone.

by Anonymousreply 106August 17, 2024 12:23 AM

[quote]but she tends to stay around the C5 - E5 range to preserve her vocal chords.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 107August 17, 2024 12:46 AM

Underrated: Doris Day. She was a hugely popular vocalist in her early career, but then she started focusing on movies, and most people now think of her as an actress rather than a singer. She had a lovely warm tone.

by Anonymousreply 108August 17, 2024 12:47 AM

R108, popular does not equal good.

by Anonymousreply 109August 17, 2024 12:49 AM

[quote]or thin and flat Diana.

Leave my body out of this!

by Anonymousreply 110August 17, 2024 12:54 AM

Cindy Wilson. Hard to know how to answer these "polls" sometimes. Everybody --- okay, "everybody" -- loves the B 52's; but did we ever appreciate Cindy Wilson as she should have been appreciated? Doesn't hurt that she was Natalie Woodishly beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 17, 2024 12:58 AM

Diana Ross is very underrated. Her jazz chops are impeccable.

The only thing Mary Wilson could nail was every man that came within two feet of her.

by Anonymousreply 112August 17, 2024 12:58 AM

All of OP's suggestions are vastly overrated.

by Anonymousreply 113August 17, 2024 1:01 AM

r99 Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Quick, before it starts miming to Circles in the Sand....

by Anonymousreply 114August 17, 2024 1:02 AM

Voice queens🚨please weigh in on:

Dolly Parton

Fiona Apple

P!nk

by Anonymousreply 115August 17, 2024 1:08 AM

[quote] Vanessa Williams is overlooked. The texture of her voice is soooo gorgeous.

She's a Broadway singer. She has a lovely voice but she's not underrated.

by Anonymousreply 116August 17, 2024 1:12 AM

[quote] Comparing her voice and singing (not the same thing) to Streisand shows you know very little about the craft.

Meanwhile, Barbra has covered Melissa several times (Just One Lifetime, I'll Never Say Goodbye) and has delivered inferior renditions.

Her rendition of "I'll never say goodbye" in particular stunk.

by Anonymousreply 117August 17, 2024 1:12 AM

Amy Winehouse: totally overrated. Tried and failed to rise to the heights of the great black women vocalists.

K.D. Lang: a voice to melt the hardest surface. Just beautiful and underappreciated.

Whitney Houston: a tad overrated.

by Anonymousreply 118August 17, 2024 1:15 AM

k.d. lang's early recordings have some of the best tone, pitch and breath control I've ever heard.

I appreciate not everyone loves her material, but her voice was perfection or nearly thus for several decades.

by Anonymousreply 119August 17, 2024 1:27 AM

R91, Kurt would be the first to tell you both Layne and Cornell had better voices than he did. By far.

But what he lacked in range, he made up for in raw emotion. No male singer did that better. Certainly not in rock music.

by Anonymousreply 120August 17, 2024 1:32 AM

[quote] I think Ann Wilson is underrated.

Huh? Ann gets her due. If she had kept her weight down, she could have been a superstar, though.

by Anonymousreply 121August 17, 2024 1:35 AM

Dolly Parton: I'm not a voice expert, but she has got some vocal chops. Her high range is (or was effortless). I'd say she was somewhat underrated for sheer vocal ability and over-appreciated due to the big blonde hair & big tits.

by Anonymousreply 122August 17, 2024 1:37 AM

Overrated: Mariah Carey's upper register, e.g., the whistle note. Freakish? Yes. Impressive? Yeah, I guess so. PLEASANT? NO!

Underrated: Mariah Carey's lower register. I like when her voice goes low and she free-styles a bit.

by Anonymousreply 123August 17, 2024 1:38 AM

Underrated: Mickey Thomas of Jefferson Starship & Elvin Bishop. He is now in his 70s and can still sing.

Here he is singing "Jane." It's crazy that Grace Slick was basically a background singer and tambourine player during this era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 17, 2024 1:41 AM

R124 Indeed. I'll add Marty Balin to that list!

by Anonymousreply 125August 17, 2024 1:54 AM

R93 I100% agree about Tori. (In her prime through 2014) What kills me is how her voice is utterly gone. She lived a pretty healthy life and did not tour that much after 2007.. And I know she often shred her voice- her live performances were spellbinding. 2022 and after - the range and power are gone. its one thing to lose the range, but her voice has no power- she cannot hit ANY note and she her chords sound torn. I cannot even listen to her now-

by Anonymousreply 126August 17, 2024 1:55 AM

[quote] Underrated: Mariah Carey's lower register. I like when her voice goes low and she free-styles a bit.

Especially in songs like "I Don't Wanna Cry."

by Anonymousreply 127August 17, 2024 2:54 AM

Or Vanishing (Mariah Carey). It doesn't involve any high notes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 17, 2024 3:03 AM

Among Most Overrated: Doris Day

Among Most Underrated: Lesley Gore

by Anonymousreply 129August 17, 2024 3:16 AM

R126 Agree.

And while I deeply love Kate Bush as well, her range shrunk tremendously, as well.

I know singers age, but some of my other favorites, like Tracey Thorn and Alison Moyet, still have some aspects of their voice. Thorn in particular sounds very good for being 62, and only lost a bit of her high range.

by Anonymousreply 130August 17, 2024 4:20 AM

[quote] Whitney Houston: a tad overrated.

Not even a tad. At her peak, one of the 2 or 3 best vocal instruments in popular music.

by Anonymousreply 131August 17, 2024 5:16 AM

Overrated: John Legend

Underrated: Erykah Badu

by Anonymousreply 132August 17, 2024 5:19 AM

Underrated: Sisqo

by Anonymousreply 133August 17, 2024 5:20 AM

Rob Thomas also for underrated

by Anonymousreply 134August 17, 2024 5:38 AM

Michael Jackson for the simple fact that he was such a dynamic live performer people forget how great a vocalist he was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135August 17, 2024 5:45 AM

You forgot to mention how underrated meth is, you worthless junkie.

by Anonymousreply 136August 17, 2024 5:52 AM

R136 you need help. Serious help.

by Anonymousreply 137August 17, 2024 5:53 AM

And I don’t wtf makes you think I use meth. You keep saying that shit. You fkin weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 138August 17, 2024 5:53 AM

The junkie is on a jag with multiple posts in a row, on any thread he falls upon.

by Anonymousreply 139August 17, 2024 5:55 AM

Teacake, you don't need to respond. Just know everyone here wants you to OD.

by Anonymousreply 140August 17, 2024 5:55 AM

I've FFd teacake a couple times and blocked him. I thought this was settled several weeks ago when he was redlined but he returned with identifies that have rotated daily if not hourly.

by Anonymousreply 141August 17, 2024 5:57 AM

He has multiple IDs and I am assuming with the crackdown (whoops, I shouldn't have mentioned crack) that he's actually paying for them all. What a fucking loser.

by Anonymousreply 142August 17, 2024 5:59 AM

In the words of Whitney Houston, crack is cheap. Plus I saw way too many crackheads around my neighborhood in NW DC to ever go that route.

by Anonymousreply 143August 17, 2024 6:03 AM

Oh, so now he's from DC. How many more versions of your childhood are you going to invent for us, Drugsy?

by Anonymousreply 144August 17, 2024 6:13 AM

Is Anastacia over or underrated? I never understood why she was famous abroad but not in the US. Did she tell someone off?

by Anonymousreply 145August 17, 2024 6:33 AM

[quote] Is Anastacia over or underrated? I never understood why she was famous abroad but not in the US. Did she tell someone off?

Because we already have Taylor Dayne, do we really need another one?

by Anonymousreply 146August 17, 2024 6:44 AM

I think Anastacia is for Kamala, and Taylor likes citrus fruit.

by Anonymousreply 147August 17, 2024 7:13 AM

Fantasia is underrated

by Anonymousreply 148August 17, 2024 7:19 AM

Charlene no rating needed

by Anonymousreply 149August 17, 2024 7:24 AM

Tessa is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 150August 17, 2024 12:04 PM

Olivia Newton-John was underrated vocally. She sang many difficult songs and could hit upper register notes with control and full vibrato at times. She could also convey a soft and sweet when the song called for it.

by Anonymousreply 151August 17, 2024 12:17 PM

R126 I think some kind of trauma affected her voice. I read a voice expert who is a Tori fan suggested she may have had vical paresis and caused permanent harm by "powering through" and doing concert performances despite vocal injury, and that apparently can damage vocal cords permanently.

I also read a rumor somewhere that she had some kind of injury that required vocal surgery and that damaged her throat. I don't know. I do know she has always had major TMJ pain, and that TMJ has caused major jaw and dental problems and that supposedly is why she had to get all her teeth redone in one fell swoop, not just for cosmetic reasons.

She still makes music worth listening to. Her husband/sound engineer has found ways to engineer her voice beautifully in studio productions. But yeah, they can only do so much in live performances. However, that said, even with her vocal injuries, she's still a superior vocal performer live IMO than most pop stars who use pitch correction, backing vocals and sing robotically instead of emotively.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 17, 2024 12:19 PM

Lou Rawls - underrated and overlooked.

Such a beautiful voice.

by Anonymousreply 153August 17, 2024 12:19 PM

Underrated- Macy Gray. Such an aural treat to the ear!

by Anonymousreply 154August 17, 2024 12:23 PM

r60 Only that's not what Dionne said

by Anonymousreply 155August 17, 2024 12:27 PM

R152- I am a huge fan and have heard all those things too-- I suspect there is some truth to all of it-

It was weird, I actually liked Ocean To Ocean, but once she toured for it- Tori's voice- I was flabbergasted.

i think on Ocean To Ocean, they were able to hide Tori's vocal limitations much better-

It was like the entire Tori dynamic(for me) was reversed.. For years I would tell people (and it was true) Do not judge Tori by the albums- See her LIVE- her voice sounds 300X better and more powerful- and she is just on another level live.. and it was true! and a true testament to her talent-

Now- I would definitely check out future albums, but I will never listen to her live again- It depressed the fuck out of me. I have never seen that kind of deterioration so fast (2017-2021) I thought even losing her mom did a number on her spirit-

2/3 of my music library is Tori live through 2017- She was that damn good.

Not going to lie, I'm a little disturbed by the Neil gaiman connection and wondering if T will subtly acknowledge it

by Anonymousreply 156August 17, 2024 12:38 PM

R148, Grammy winner Fantasia has won and/or been nominated for awards in music, theater, and film.

I know the above-mentioned definition of "under-rated," but I wonder at what point all those labeled as such herein really are?

How many awards or nominations are too few? How many years performing and making new music are too few?

How many tabloid articles, appearances on late-night TV shows, guest judge gigs are enough for a singer not to be "under-rated"? Is "Kardashian Level" the only acceptable "not under-rated" level of fame/notoriety?

My example above was Adam Lambert. There is no way Linda Ronstadt would be in the same category.

by Anonymousreply 157August 17, 2024 12:50 PM

R126 I think the family has done a great job in finding a way to use her daughter Tash's voice and sometimes her niece Kelsey for background vocals to 'beef up' Tori's resonance on studio recordings and it works really well. They get better with every album, probably in part because Tash used to sound like Peppermint Patty and now she sounds a lot more like Tori.

I can understand how you feel about listening to her live now in a way but in a way, it also sounds like it offends you and you hold it against her that her vocal quality has suffered over time, either through age or illness, and I don't get that. It's not her fault and if you still appreciate her recorded music and her songwriting, why hold her to a standard she is physically incapable of at this point?

It's like suggesting that Stephen Hawking should have given up physics once ALS began to deteriorate his body. No, he kept working with the faculties he had and used technologies to support his creative processes and his ability to express himself.

The only reason to fault someone for their disabilities is if they give up and stop working and contributing to the world because they decide if they can't be perfect, then they shouldn't bother at all.

by Anonymousreply 158August 17, 2024 12:54 PM

George Michael - underrated.

Yes, he was a global pop icon, but he was known more for his teen idol persona and great videos than his voice.

He had a really beautiful voice. He had control, tone, and range, and I don't think he gets enough attention for that.

by Anonymousreply 159August 17, 2024 12:54 PM

Somewhat underrated is LeAnn Rimes. This is in part to her own choices though when she decided to focus on her overall well being and not just hit songs and awards.

by Anonymousreply 160August 17, 2024 12:54 PM

I think Boy George had a really beautiful voice and I don't recall anyone ever giving him due credit for his vocal quality, probably because his appearance was so distracting.

by Anonymousreply 161August 17, 2024 1:00 PM

R119, I heard kd lang once breathe between SYLLABLES

by Anonymousreply 162August 17, 2024 1:02 PM

R151- YES!!!! ONJ!!!!

And on the more rocked out early 80's stuff- she has this awesome nasally twangy gorgeous vibe- I cannot put it into words.. Sometimes Miley has it- even Halsey-

ONJ was a goddess.

And her version of Don't Cry For Me Argentina is my favorite- I don't give a fuck what anyone says. It is -perfect-.

by Anonymousreply 163August 17, 2024 1:18 PM

R158- I agree completely- and I could tell that I am sounding offensive. It's hard to age, It's hard to watch anyone struggle. It pained me to listen to Tori (2022 and after) I don't know why. It made me sad. That lady gave me YEARS of artistry and owes me nothing. I owe her... I just will not be attending shows or listening to live boots. Your last 2 paragraphs show that you are a great person - When I say I find her unlistenable- that is just ME. She will always have my respect and her music will always be in my life. But your last 2 paragraphs got me. And you are right.

by Anonymousreply 164August 17, 2024 1:24 PM

in the not mentioned 'forgotten' category, I offer Mabel Mercer. Hey, I was a young teenaged gayling who hung around the old gays back in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 165August 17, 2024 1:24 PM

The QUEEN of being overrated is that awful "give me another Grammy" Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 166August 17, 2024 1:34 PM

MURIEL, EXTERMINATE TEACAKE

by Anonymousreply 167August 17, 2024 1:38 PM

Overrated: Liza Minelli.

She had a range of about two notes.

by Anonymousreply 168August 17, 2024 1:40 PM

Drag Race edition: How were Adore Delano and Courtney Act celebrated as great singers while Jinkx Monsoon was known primarily as a comedy queen and her singing ability generally overlooked? She's by far the best vocalist the show has had IMO.

by Anonymousreply 169August 17, 2024 1:52 PM

The pig Linda Ronstadt is so over rated.

by Anonymousreply 170August 17, 2024 2:09 PM

Dionne Warwick is underrated. Beautiful voice, amazing breath control (before the nicotine robbed her), perfect diction, great pitch and capable of big long vocal sustains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 17, 2024 2:26 PM

No one has mentioned Toni Tennille or Maureen McGovern. Both really good underrated singers.

by Anonymousreply 172August 17, 2024 2:29 PM

R144 I’ve always asserted I grew up in Washington DC and NYC you maniac.

by Anonymousreply 173August 17, 2024 2:34 PM

[quote]Liza Minelli.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 174August 17, 2024 2:36 PM

Not yet mentioned: Jane Monheit

Already mentioned but needs greater emphasis: Phyllis Hyman. She was greatly underrated. And hamstrung by her record company and representatives.

And like R172, I think both Toni Tennille and Maureen McGovern are underrated. Try Toni Tennille's Big Band albums. All sung with a full orchestra, not a backing track. Amazing work. And surprising, for some.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 17, 2024 3:12 PM

Toni Tennille isn't underrated. Perhaps her choice in material is looked down upon. She's had number ones, a couple of TV shows, Grammys, just about every major act of all genres wanting her as a studio backup singer. The only one considered a "Beach Girl".

by Anonymousreply 176August 17, 2024 3:16 PM

R171 I'll give credit to Dionne for "Alfie."

That is one helluva difficult song to sing. There are few vocalists who can master it and make it seem effortless like Dionne did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177August 17, 2024 3:18 PM

R176

I. understand that she's been successful. But success isn't always based on a great voice. They were fun and a novelty and she had a good voice with catchy tunes.

I'm just saying she was capable of more, and unfortunately the material most people are familiar with didn't represent her vocal power and expertise.

But you make a good point with her in demand as a backup singer with all sorts of artists and genres. In that community, she was highly rated. Not so much the public.

by Anonymousreply 178August 17, 2024 3:31 PM

[quote] Drag Race edition: How were Adore Delano and Courtney Act celebrated as great singers while Jinkx Monsoon was known primarily as a comedy queen and her singing ability generally overlooked? She's by far the best vocalist the show has had IMO.

You're in the wrong thread. We're discussing singers, not clown acts.

by Anonymousreply 179August 17, 2024 5:01 PM

NOBODY could compare to Mariah when she in her prime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180August 17, 2024 5:10 PM

Darlene Love was always amazing. Letterman always did her right when she was on his show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 17, 2024 5:13 PM

Wannabe by The Spice Girls…IMO an absolutely stupid song.

by Anonymousreply 182August 17, 2024 5:18 PM

R171 is Corpse

by Anonymousreply 183August 17, 2024 5:46 PM

Karen Carpenter was underrated. Her voice was sublime.

by Anonymousreply 184August 17, 2024 5:48 PM

Overrated: Elvis.

If hundreds of morbidly obese imitators can throw on a gold lamé jumpsuit and sound exactly like him, how good could he have been?

by Anonymousreply 185August 17, 2024 5:49 PM

R184 NOT UNDERRATED

by Anonymousreply 186August 17, 2024 5:54 PM

Just nuke this thread already. It's clear the majority still have no idea what the words mean.

by Anonymousreply 187August 17, 2024 6:05 PM

Karen Carpenter underrated? She's just about the most acclaimed female singer in the modern era.

by Anonymousreply 188August 17, 2024 6:35 PM

Yeah, I'm sorry, but the terms "overrated" and "underrated" shouldn't be that difficult to understand.

by Anonymousreply 189August 17, 2024 7:01 PM

Beyoncé is wayyyyyyyy overrated as a singer.

by Anonymousreply 190August 17, 2024 7:24 PM

R190 Beyonce's not a singer. She's a screecher.

by Anonymousreply 191August 17, 2024 7:57 PM

^ HI MOM!

by Anonymousreply 192August 17, 2024 8:26 PM

[quote] Karen Carpenter underrated? She's just about the most acclaimed female singer in the modern era.

Only at Datalounge (and deservedly). In the real world she is hardly remembered by the general population as a singer. The Carpenters are unfairly regarded as vanilla soft-rock. Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift and Adele ranked higher than her on the Rolling Stone list of singers.

Lana Del Rey is more acclaimed than Karen Carpenter...she is absolutely underrated.

by Anonymousreply 193August 17, 2024 8:28 PM

[quote] The Carpenters are unfairly regarded as vanilla soft-rock.

I can see why but it does seem limiting. I wouldn't risk a description beyond pop. How would you regard them?

by Anonymousreply 194August 17, 2024 8:37 PM

R193 Right. Preach my friend. It be like an alternate universe on here about matters such as these.

by Anonymousreply 195August 17, 2024 9:02 PM

Lalah Hathaway is underrated

Adele is overrated

by Anonymousreply 196August 17, 2024 9:50 PM

Oh yeah, I second Adele. Her singing is fine but it doesn't do a whole lot for me. But her song lyrics are so bland and generic and they just don't hold my interest.

I also agree Amy Winehouse is overrated.

by Anonymousreply 197August 17, 2024 9:56 PM

[quote] But what he lacked in range, he made up for in raw emotion. No male singer did that better. Certainly not in rock music.

I think Layne was better at raw emotion on songs like "Down in A Hole", "Would", "Nutshell" and "Don't Follow". But to each their own.

by Anonymousreply 198August 17, 2024 10:02 PM

[quote] Underrated: Mariah Carey's lower register

Her best use of her lower register, by far, is "Without You". She owns that cover.

by Anonymousreply 199August 17, 2024 10:03 PM

[quote] Michael Jackson for the simple fact that he was such a dynamic live performer people forget how great a vocalist he was

Delusional; among the general public, he was always regarded as one of the greatest voices ever. People haven't "forgotten" anything.

by Anonymousreply 200August 17, 2024 10:05 PM

Phoebe Legere is underrated and forgotten

by Anonymousreply 201August 17, 2024 10:12 PM

John Sex, overrated and mostly forgotten.

Klaus Nomi correctly rated or perhaps slightly underrated

Joey Arias - correctly rated

RuPaul - does anyone thing he can sing? Correctly rated

by Anonymousreply 202August 17, 2024 10:16 PM

[quote] Preach my friend.

No one is your friend, Teacunt.

by Anonymousreply 203August 17, 2024 10:18 PM

Underrated: Ashley Simpson

Overrated: Connie Francis

by Anonymousreply 204August 17, 2024 10:19 PM

[quote] Her best use of her lower register, by far, is "Without You". She owns that cover.

I think not!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205August 17, 2024 10:45 PM

Susan Olsen for Frosty The Snowman lead.

by Anonymousreply 206August 17, 2024 10:47 PM

R205, sorry Shirley, but Mariah did it much better.

by Anonymousreply 207August 17, 2024 10:56 PM

She sold MILLIONS but Olivia's voice was never appreciated during it's time by the critics. It seems to be going through a reevaluation and finally getting its due.

by Anonymousreply 208August 18, 2024 1:14 AM

ONJ could sing those really high notes and did have a nice voice.

by Anonymousreply 209August 18, 2024 1:43 AM

Amy Winehouse is overrated. On what planet. This woman is top 7 greatest female vocalists of all time. RIP my dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210August 18, 2024 1:49 AM

R2004 I don't think so!

by Anonymousreply 211August 18, 2024 2:15 AM

[quote] Amy Winehouse is overrated. On what planet. This woman is top 7 greatest female vocalists of all time.

Only if "all time" is limited to the years between 2003 and 2011.

by Anonymousreply 212August 18, 2024 3:01 AM

Connie Francis had a beautiful tone, an even vibrato, and very versatile. However, like many female singers, she lost her voice quote young. At times, her voice blended so well with the orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 213August 18, 2024 4:08 AM

Underrated Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton, Tyra Banks

Overrated Marlee Matlin

by Anonymousreply 214August 18, 2024 4:41 AM

Underrated: Randy Crawford

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215August 18, 2024 5:04 AM

[quote] Only if "all time" is limited to the years between 2003 and 2011.

Why are you listening to the insane ramblings of a junkie? Of course he loves Amy Winehouse. She's his hero.

by Anonymousreply 216August 18, 2024 5:17 AM

R109 How is this not good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217August 18, 2024 6:28 AM

Underrated: Jeffre Star, Black Porcelain

Overrated: Ariana, Taylor, Whitney

by Anonymousreply 218August 18, 2024 9:47 AM

Dolly Parton is underrated vocally

by Anonymousreply 219August 18, 2024 1:31 PM

Jennifer Warnes could never be appreciated enough. She's everything that people think that fat Linda girl is.

by Anonymousreply 220August 18, 2024 9:56 PM

FINALLY! 220 replies and someone gets it right.

by Anonymousreply 221August 18, 2024 11:19 PM

Patti Austin (a fine vocalist herself) ragged on Adele and her singing style. It’s on YouTube somewhere. I just ate dinner and I am feeling very lazy.

by Anonymousreply 222August 18, 2024 11:26 PM

Jennifer Warnes (much as I love her) cannot hold a candle to Linda.

by Anonymousreply 223August 18, 2024 11:33 PM

Might be an odd one, but Claire Richards from Steps is a much better (and more emotive) singer than any manufactured band member has the right to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224August 19, 2024 1:43 PM

I dislike Floptina for her cuntiness but I must say that she had potencial to be such powerful vocalist and how strong their vocal folds are. Her range basically is the same as 20+ ago. She demonstrated that she can sing up to G6 as easily as in 2000. Her belts are lower than in 00s where she had no problem with high E,F and sometimes F# since now she rarely sing above D but overall Her voice is nicely preserved.

As Her belting technique and use of falsetto should have killed her cords for good. The fact that she barely sang anything between 2012 and 2018 probably saved her. But overall she could be at the level of Lisa Fisher if she gave a fuck about technique.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225August 19, 2024 1:53 PM

Debbie Harry - underrated

by Anonymousreply 226August 19, 2024 2:17 PM

R204- get off the Meth.

by Anonymousreply 227August 19, 2024 2:26 PM

Did someone say meth?

by Anonymousreply 228August 19, 2024 3:49 PM

Why gays have obsession over singing

by Anonymousreply 229August 19, 2024 4:44 PM

Gays have always had an obsession with dames with loud voices.

by Anonymousreply 230August 19, 2024 4:48 PM

Gays have always had an obsession with proclaiming girls with nice hair as "gay icons".

by Anonymousreply 231August 19, 2024 6:14 PM

There was a popular "lite theory" book in the 90s about this R229

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232August 19, 2024 9:44 PM

Cyndi Lauper is underrated

by Anonymousreply 233August 19, 2024 10:09 PM

[quote]I'd say she was somewhat underrated for sheer vocal ability

She's also a very prolific (and quite good) songwriter. Her voice certainly isn't what it once was, but she's well into her 70s. Nearly all singers lose a lot of their vocal power by that age.

by Anonymousreply 234August 19, 2024 10:46 PM

Trisha Yearwood has a terrific voice, but I don't think she gets much respect outside of the country community. I enjoyed her album of Sinatra standards.

by Anonymousreply 235August 19, 2024 10:52 PM

Trisha Yearwood a terrible voice? I'm not even a big country fan but you're fucking nuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236August 19, 2024 11:21 PM

overrated: Aretha Fucking Franklin. Probably the most overrated singer ever. Underrated: Anita Baker

by Anonymousreply 237August 19, 2024 11:24 PM

Underrated old lady Jennifer Warnes. Some how filling the arenas in Europe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238August 19, 2024 11:29 PM

Anita Baker must have so many issues. There's a live version of Sweet Love that always gives me a strong visceral reaction. I miss her.

by Anonymousreply 239August 19, 2024 11:42 PM

Aretha Underrated? Hardly.

by Anonymousreply 240August 19, 2024 11:44 PM

R238, dummy, Jennifer Warnes is NOT filling any venue anywhere in 2024. If you see butts in seats while she’s on stage it’s at a festival with several other artists who collectively accumulate ticket sales.

by Anonymousreply 241August 19, 2024 11:45 PM

all that fat bitch did was shriek

by Anonymousreply 242August 19, 2024 11:46 PM

R241 equals Linda Roundstat. Too bad her fat fingers still work.

by Anonymousreply 243August 19, 2024 11:47 PM

She isn't really "overrated" but I don't like Billie Holiday. I get why she's revered though.

by Anonymousreply 244August 19, 2024 11:54 PM

I think Eddie Vedder is underrated. He has really amazing range and power - but he was widely mocked for his quirky enunciation. People usually say this is his best performance. He's incredibly fucking sexy in this video too like wow. His natural speaking voice is ridiculously low and husky with poor enuncitation, he often sounds wasted drunk when just talking normally. Actually reminds me of Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs when he talks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245August 20, 2024 12:56 AM

R240, Please re-read r237. Your response of "Hardly" still works, though.

by Anonymousreply 246August 20, 2024 1:37 AM

Ronstadt had sex appeal in addition to a great voice.

Warnes looked and moved around on stage like a female banker.

by Anonymousreply 247August 20, 2024 1:52 AM

r236 has reading comprehension issues.

Hint: TERRIFIC is not the same word as TERRIBLE.

by Anonymousreply 248August 20, 2024 1:54 AM

R237 The thing Anita Baker be sounding like yawning sometimes on the track. She is a very very good soul singer but sometimes her particular interpretation and style make the lyrics inaudible.

by Anonymousreply 249August 20, 2024 2:16 AM

Jesus Christ, you clod- Anita Baker is NOT underrated. Nor is Cyndi Lauper.

Fucking retards on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 250August 20, 2024 3:00 AM

I think Anita’s cover of Carly Simon’s (or Michael McDonald’s.) YOU BELONG TO ME is so awful. That is not a song meant to be drawn out and over enunciated.

by Anonymousreply 251August 20, 2024 2:13 PM

Aretha was extremely overrated- especially among other singers. When Celine Dion started kicking her saggy ass by belting like powerhouse during Divas Life Mariah (whose hoarse voice was terrible during that time) threw shade on Celine for simply being too extra in the presence of Aretha.

Maruah could never spot licking Fatretha clit.

by Anonymousreply 252August 20, 2024 3:24 PM

Overrated: Hilary Duff.

Underrated: Haylie Duff.

by Anonymousreply 253August 20, 2024 7:32 PM

r253 Underrated: Duff Beer

by Anonymousreply 254August 20, 2024 10:06 PM

Overrated: Roslyn Kind

Underrate: Mrs. Miller

by Anonymousreply 255August 20, 2024 10:09 PM

Overated by a Landslide: Lara Trump

by Anonymousreply 256August 20, 2024 11:00 PM

The Obamas sure don’t think the Queen is overrated. They had her sing at both inaugurations.

by Anonymousreply 257August 20, 2024 11:17 PM

[quote] I think Eddie Vedder is underrated.

Oh, God, how? The worst thing about the 90s was the bleating of grunge rock singers. In a world with Robert Plant and Steve Perry, I am not even sure what Vedder does can be called singing.

by Anonymousreply 258August 20, 2024 11:59 PM

R258 Get your ears checked. Eddie Vedder is one of the best male vocalists ever. He is sexy as fuck too.

by Anonymousreply 259August 21, 2024 12:05 AM

Eddie Vedder is the best of the 90s grunge vocalists by virtue of being the only one who is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 260August 21, 2024 12:07 AM

I have never seen another vocalist, male or female, outshine the Queen. Nor have I ever seen her somewhat star struck. He must have some crazy stage energy. They sounded great. And he actually pronounced her name the correct way like the French.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261August 21, 2024 12:12 AM

Brandy is a very underrated singer.

by Anonymousreply 262August 21, 2024 12:22 AM

R262 She is. Black Millenials call her the vocal Bible.

by Anonymousreply 263August 21, 2024 12:23 AM

I really do think Madge is often underrated or written off as a pop singer. I mean, she’s a pop singer, but it’s obvious she puts work into her vocals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264August 21, 2024 12:40 AM

This may be unpopular but someone I think people forget is an incredible singer. She was very successful in the 90s- Toni Braxton. She is a better singer to me than Anita Baker and Mariah Carey. Her voice is soulful and haunting.

by Anonymousreply 265August 21, 2024 12:43 AM

[quote] Black Millenials call her the vocal Bible.

Which makes no sense to me. Monica was a better singer than her. Chante Moore and Tamia were also better singers.

by Anonymousreply 266August 21, 2024 1:20 AM

R266 Monica is not a better singer than Brandy. If you mean she can hold a longer note singing a ballad in the vein of a low rent Whitney Houston than yes. Brandy’s vocals are brilliant. There so many good singers in the world. Shit go to any black church you will find a good singer. Uniqueness has to come into play. Tamia’s voice is pretty but thin just like Ashanti and Mya. Chante Moore yes can really blow. Too bad JLo stole her single first If you had my love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267August 21, 2024 1:29 AM

Speaking of Chante Moore during Babyface’s Tiny Desk she sung Take a bow. Let’s just say, Madge better not ever sing that song again live after that lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268August 21, 2024 1:31 AM

Brandy can't sing for shit.

by Anonymousreply 269August 21, 2024 1:36 AM

This is the song JLo and Puffy stole from Chante Moore. Re-recorded with revised with lyrics and slightly altered production. Then rushed released the song to Hot 97 and eventually top 40 everywhere. Jlo’s karma is finally catching up to her. Btw Jlo tried to steal Amerie’s 1 thing too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270August 21, 2024 1:46 AM

Btw the song is trash and the Jlo version much better but they steal stole her shit 😆. She has spoken on this many times.

by Anonymousreply 271August 21, 2024 1:49 AM

R268, I like Madonna's version much better. Chante's vocal tone sounds wrong for the song. Madonna's is warmer.

by Anonymousreply 272August 21, 2024 2:29 AM

R272 yea Madonna’s recorded version is awesome but she cannot replicate it live.

by Anonymousreply 273August 21, 2024 2:35 AM

R273, that's probably true, I don't think she's ever sang it on tour? Just at the AMA awards.

by Anonymousreply 274August 21, 2024 2:38 AM

Wow, speaking of Trisha Yearwood, she does an amazing job of covering Take a Bow here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275August 21, 2024 2:43 AM

Trisha's voice still sounds great, you can tell she's put a lot of work into her technique over the years. Her belting becomes less harsh around the "Thinkin' About You"/"Everybody Knows" era. (Unlike, say, Wynonna, who had similar power but was lazy with technique - she sounds terrible now.)

Criminally underrated: Patty Loveless.

by Anonymousreply 276August 21, 2024 5:42 AM

Brandy is brilliant. She’s the queen of vocal stacking. She can turn her voice into a choir.

Most of her music is continuous vocals. On “Full Moon” for example, there’s really no vocal gaps. You can listen to the acapellas and the entire track aside from the intros are filled with harmonies if it’s not the lead vocal.

She even played on it with the song “Acapella”. There’s no instruments on the song, the guitar vocal is just a special effect but that’s her voice. This is from 2008 way before people started doing it on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277August 21, 2024 6:18 AM

R266 No way!

Brandy’s voice is truly an instrument.

Monica and Tamia are great singers but Brandy’s voice can truly enhance a beat through her harmonies.

Just listen to this song.

Start at 0:48 for the harmonies in that bridge.

It’s gorgeous.

Put it this way. Monica and Tamia needed background vocalists to harmonize on a lot of their songs. Brandy needs no one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278August 21, 2024 6:25 AM

Mike Reno of Loverboy is underated.

I hate Aretha Franklin with a 1000 hot sunsl Fat, shrieking and a tude don't do it for me.

Annie Lennox is underated.

Also what someone posted about Patty Loveless. She is great, so much better than Reba whose appeal was lost on me.

by Anonymousreply 279August 21, 2024 7:19 AM

Elliott Smith is woefully underrated.

Not only did he write some of the most beautifully melancholic songs ever, his soft, ethereal voice is absolutely magical.

by Anonymousreply 280August 21, 2024 7:40 AM

R278, that is impressive.

by Anonymousreply 281August 21, 2024 12:27 PM

Sam Smith’s theatrics have made people forget that boy can sang.

by Anonymousreply 282August 21, 2024 3:46 PM

Agree about Annie Lennox being underrated as well. I think some people forget how truly brilliant Aretha was because she sung during their era before pitch perfect correction and you can hear minor flaws on the track. I actually prefer that sound quality better during the 60s and early 70s. Her version of I say a little prayer is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283August 21, 2024 3:49 PM

R282, yes, I cannot stand Sam Smith. Sure, he's a good singer but he's not amazing. He sounds like a pale imitation of Whitney, Sylvester and Luther.

by Anonymousreply 284August 21, 2024 4:01 PM

Bilal is underrated to me. At some point I thought he would become the new Maxwell but it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 285August 21, 2024 4:14 PM

At 3:45, Whitney to Brandy: "Why are you down there?" (Brandy's voice so low.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286August 21, 2024 4:23 PM

R286 You can tell Whitney was truly confident in her own star power and singing abilities. She wasn’t jealous of some rising young star and really wanted to uplift Brandy and make her an even bigger star. It’s really tragic that she never overcame her addictions. That woman is the best female singer of all time. RIP Nippy.

by Anonymousreply 287August 21, 2024 5:04 PM

One of the many proofs of Whitney’s vocal genius which that clip highlights is that she was never afraid to let someone else sing the the top because she could make an alto harmony line more thrilling than the lead’s big money notes.

Also, LOL to Brandy tactfully describing getting the news that Whitney Houston wanted her to play Cinderella via a middle of the night phone called from a “hyped up” Whitney herself.

by Anonymousreply 288August 21, 2024 5:46 PM

[quote]Black Millenials

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 289August 21, 2024 5:49 PM

R258 Listen to Black or Better Man

by Anonymousreply 290August 21, 2024 5:50 PM

R288 😆 You and I are on the same page. I thought that too. Whitney was wired as fuck when she called Brandy. Probably just had two lines before she grabbed the cordless phone lol.

by Anonymousreply 291August 21, 2024 5:51 PM

R290, my reference songs for Eddie Vedder's vocal talent are those two songs, exactly. Black is a mood piece.

by Anonymousreply 292August 21, 2024 6:05 PM

for overrated i'd say josh groban - his voice is the definition of bland to me, it has no character. i'm sure he's technically sound and everything but to me he makes michael buble look like axl rose.

by Anonymousreply 293August 21, 2024 10:07 PM

R293, dear god, there's a name I was hoping to forget.

by Anonymousreply 294August 21, 2024 10:12 PM

R293 I agree.

by Anonymousreply 295August 21, 2024 10:13 PM

^ overrated

by Anonymousreply 296August 21, 2024 10:23 PM

Lol.

by Anonymousreply 297August 23, 2024 10:20 PM

Lana Del Rey is underrated.

by Anonymousreply 298August 30, 2024 3:17 PM

This is the only place I've heard anyone call Trisha Yearwood overrated. I wish she'd get out of the kitchen and get back in the studio again. A shitty quality but she did a mesmerizing version of Purple Rain when she heard Prince died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299August 30, 2024 3:23 PM

I would definitely say post-Evita Madonna is underrated. Her early stuff is bad cause she was too high a singer but as time went on she went into lower registers that really showed her ability to sell a good ballad.

You'll See, Power of Goodbye, etc... really display her warmth. That David Foster song, too.

Even some pre-Evita songs but those were more hit-and-miss. Though I'll say I was shocked the first time I heard Rescue Me. That was not how you normally heard Madonna sing a song.

Rain is perfection. The way she blends those lower tones...

by Anonymousreply 300August 30, 2024 3:39 PM

And there is a reason Bad Girl was so received as a stand-out on this last tour.

by Anonymousreply 301August 30, 2024 3:41 PM

I was never a country music fan, but some lesbian friends took me to see Mary Chapin Carpenter in mid 90's, and I fell in love with her music and her voice was terrific. No twang lol. She was an East Coast Brown grad whose lyrics made the country divas of the day look dated when compared. I think she's pretty much out of country, though I know she still tours.

by Anonymousreply 302August 30, 2024 3:56 PM

R264, her performance of Lament is excellent. I think Madonna is considered a "bad" singer because of her early helium voice and the fact that she does have quite a few bad live performances. She struggles with breath control. But when she's good, she is GOOD. I think Janet has better breath control but Madonna has more range and power.

by Anonymousreply 303August 30, 2024 3:57 PM

I also like the "warmth" (great description) of Madonna's voice- No idea what all of the terminology is- but I always liked her mid range voice(which is really all she has) Its very easy to listen to.. Her pinnacle is Live To Tell- and that really showcases the warmth and "timber" of her voice. Its nothing special or over the top- but its just very easy on the ears.

by Anonymousreply 304August 30, 2024 5:03 PM

I think Madge was a good singer. She just hit the peak of her fame during the melisma era with all them show off balladry singers, it made her look like chopped liver.

by Anonymousreply 305August 30, 2024 5:43 PM

R304, on record, I think her best song performance may be Ray of Light. Really shows off the range she gained from the opera lessons.

by Anonymousreply 306August 30, 2024 5:43 PM

Susan Boyle covered You'll See. She is technically the far superior singer but her version lacked whatever it was Madonna provided. Madonna really knew how to sell a song in a way that none of her peers did.

by Anonymousreply 307August 30, 2024 5:45 PM

Yeah. I was absolutely fascinated by the technical perfection of Susan Boyle's voice for about a year. Then I realized it was almost inhuman and had not emotion behind any of it.

by Anonymousreply 308August 30, 2024 7:24 PM

R304, I think Niles Rodgers said that her voice on Live To Tell is what she sounds like when she sings "naturally". Versus songs like "Material Girl", "Like a Virgin", etc.

by Anonymousreply 309August 30, 2024 8:54 PM

*Nile Rodgers, not Niles

by Anonymousreply 310August 30, 2024 8:54 PM

Oh, Madonna...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311August 30, 2024 11:11 PM

R311. Who cares. The record will be broken again a year from now. That’s how pedestrian the industry has become.

by Anonymousreply 312August 31, 2024 1:51 PM

I like the old days. Streams aren't purchases. Back in the day ONJ sold 100 million records the hard way. Concerts, talk show, fan shows, DJ visits.. ....anything you could do to get your music out there. Now you put it on YouTube and shake your as on the tiktocks.

by Anonymousreply 313August 31, 2024 4:19 PM

In the 70s I hate the high-voiced English heavy metal singers. They were all overrated.

by Anonymousreply 314August 31, 2024 5:32 PM

Underrated: Elton John. From baritone to falsetto, from ballads to Disco to blues...

Overrated: Tony Bennett. Italian wedding singer.

by Anonymousreply 315August 31, 2024 5:48 PM

Overrated: Frank Sinatra

Underrated: Mel Torme

by Anonymousreply 316August 31, 2024 5:50 PM

[quote]In the 70s I hate the high-voiced English heavy metal singers. They were all overrated.

Fuck you, you fucking pole smoking cunt-faced poofter!

by Anonymousreply 317August 31, 2024 7:49 PM

Haha

by Anonymousreply 318August 31, 2024 7:52 PM

Underrated: ME

Overrated: everybody else

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319August 31, 2024 9:48 PM

Selena Gomez is underrated.

by Anonymousreply 320September 20, 2024 2:05 PM

ONJ did not sell 100 million copies, that is insane.

by Anonymousreply 321September 20, 2024 2:18 PM

[quote] Underrated: Elton John. From baritone to falsetto, from ballads to Disco to blues...

Who is underrating Elton John? Nobody.

by Anonymousreply 322September 20, 2024 2:19 PM

R321, that's wiki and worldwide. I think that's very possible.

by Anonymousreply 323September 20, 2024 4:14 PM

Underrated: Mary Wells

by Anonymousreply 324September 20, 2024 4:26 PM

Underrated: Beverly Kenney

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325September 20, 2024 4:35 PM

Oops. Hit "Post: too soon.

Shriley Horn is also underrated. Nobody but nobody can sing a ballad like Shirley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326September 20, 2024 4:36 PM

All of these ones are underrated due to the genre they sing but I promise, some of the best vocals you've heard (or more likely, not heard).

Brent Smith from Shinedown has one of the most versatile, beautiful voices I have ever heard. Everything is so rich. Having seen them in concert I can say he somehow sounds even better live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327September 20, 2024 5:07 PM

Corey Taylor, the lead singer of Slipknot and Stone Sour has a remarkably beautiful voice with a ridiculous octave range hidden behind the loud. People think metal vocalists have terrible voices but they're almost always really underrated

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328September 20, 2024 5:12 PM

Finally, David Draiman from Disturbed has a unique and traditional voice. Most people just know him as the AHHH AHHH AHH guy from Down with the Sickness. This version brought me to tears the first time I heard it, very Johnny Cash reminiscent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329September 20, 2024 5:17 PM

R326, I DO think Shirley deserves more love from Jazz fans even though she was acclaimed. This song still gives me chills. Her use of air and space is unrivaled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330September 20, 2024 5:46 PM

Barbara Lewis

by Anonymousreply 331September 20, 2024 5:49 PM

Chris Daughtry- underrated-

by Anonymousreply 332September 21, 2024 4:55 PM

Overrated: Debby Boone

Underrated: Charlene

by Anonymousreply 333September 21, 2024 10:44 PM

We cant have you do that my dear

by Anonymousreply 334September 23, 2024 6:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!