Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Taseful Friends! This 1920s Los Angeles Estate Was Once Home to Ava Gardner and Laurence Olivier

Old-school with a modern twist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2024 2:16 PM

A more in-depth look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2024 11:42 AM

OP - I didn't know Olivier and Gardner once lived together. Is that what drove poor Vivien insane?

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2024 12:01 PM

The hideous midcentury Spanish ranch style architecture makes everything look like a cheap, prefabricated condo building, but the setting is spectacular and the interiors are charming, as many of the original "rustic" features have been preserved and the relatively low ceilings create a very cozy, intimate ambiance. I also think that it's rather lovely that the façade makes the property look like a small, relatively modest home framed by Jacaranda trees, and the more ostentatious elements are built in a scaled fashion down the mountainside. Furthermore, the little stretch of road where the house is located, almost has a fairy tale air to it, with everything being covered by the tree canopy.

As for the rent, wouldn't it be better to purchase a similar home, instead of wasting $222,000 per year, plus taxes and bills, on something that you will never own? Finally, I find it curious that superstars like Olivier and Gardner were content with such a property, when nowadays successful actors spend outrageous amounts of money on concrete behemoths full of unnecessary features and useless, dead space.

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2024 12:08 PM

I dont like the "modern twist" but all the original character seems to still largely be there, so it wouldnt be hard to make it original. It's a pleasant enough house inside, and the gardens are beautiful. The exterior is nice too.

by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2024 1:38 PM

R3, that is most definitely not "mid-century". I do think the exterior is pretty nondescript but actually like the interior which looks like a real livable home woith manageable rooms. It doesn't look like a movie set or the Home Design section of a department store.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2024 2:06 PM

I know that it's not Mid-Century Modern architecture, R5. That is why I have written the adjective midcentury, as in built in the middle of the XX Century (1940s to 1960s). Sorry, maybe I should have made it clearer.

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2024 2:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!