Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Gates - CBS - January 2025

First soap opera featuring African-American cast since "Generations" in 1989. 2:00PM ET following "The Bold and the Beautiful."

Included in the cast ..

“Marcus” a congressman who followed in his grandfather’s footsteps in politics. He doesn’t live in the prestigious Fairmont Estates but rather in a brownstone in Washington D.C. Marcus feels it’s important to live in the district he represents. Marcus is married to his husband, Daniel. Seven years ago, they adopted two biological siblings. The married duo met when Daniel was working as a reporter, covering the political beat in D.C. Daniel became a stay-at-home dad to raise their children. Marcus is ambitious; in fact, he has a burning ambition to be the first Black openly gay President.

by Anonymousreply 87October 15, 2024 11:06 PM

Fake news, OP. We all know this is a bio series about Bill & Melinda Gates!

by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2024 10:41 PM

Lol you had me op

by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2024 10:42 PM

Its actually true r2.

by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2024 10:59 PM

Character descriptions:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2024 11:03 PM

Listed by favorites

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2024 11:03 PM

OP is Jamey Giddens, trying to get the bacon grease off his tablet screen

by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2024 11:34 PM

R2 here. My jaw has dropped. Then again white people soaps tried to freeze an entire city with a cubic zirconium diamond, had psychiatrists get possessed by the devil and had a leading character with twelve distinct personalities. I might give this soap a try. They better have a baby switch within the first three months though. I just love me a baby switch!

by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2024 11:47 PM

R7, um the Cassadines tried to freeze the whole WORLD! And Viki had SIX alters, not 12! Nice try!

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2024 11:52 PM

Can we name Viki's six alters? Niki, Jean Randolph, Princess, Tommy, Victor... who did I miss or get wrong?

by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2024 12:02 AM

Tori is the other one r9

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2024 12:03 AM

I was hoping for a reality show about Bill.

by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2024 12:05 AM

Thanks r10

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2024 12:20 AM

Princess was always whimpering. I thought she was a dog.

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2024 1:39 AM

It will probably turn out that the adopted kids of the gay couple were adopted illegally.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2024 1:42 AM

The real parents of the adopted children will obviously be somewhere in town. And they will likely come back to claim the children.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2024 1:48 AM

Yet don't these stories sound more interesting than Lily, Devon, Nate, et. al. sitting around the old Dark Horse offices talking about business deals and what "Neil would have wanted."

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2024 1:59 AM

I really want this to work for Michele. Fingers crossed.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2024 2:03 AM

I'm hoping the cast is diverse.

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2024 2:24 AM

I wonder if this will still happen...CBS and Paramount are cutting ever cost corner they can.

by Anonymousreply 19September 1, 2024 3:44 PM

Have they cast the trans, the Asian, and the hooker with the heart of gold yet?

by Anonymousreply 20September 1, 2024 3:48 PM

R20. TALBOT HUDDLESTON!!!

by Anonymousreply 21September 1, 2024 4:04 PM

Okay, I cackled at that R21

by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2024 4:07 PM

Elizabeth, Stacy, Courtney, Jillian and Diane? How relatable.

by Anonymousreply 23September 1, 2024 4:13 PM

Do they need a nun with a high Q rating?

by Anonymousreply 24September 1, 2024 4:16 PM

Why do they have all these black bitches with white bitches' names?

by Anonymousreply 25September 1, 2024 4:35 PM

Throw in a 1980 Tercel to sweeten the deal and I'm there.

by Anonymousreply 26September 1, 2024 5:08 PM

Mama?

by Anonymousreply 27September 1, 2024 8:51 PM

Oh Lord...Clara?!

by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2024 8:53 PM

It will have gay characters! It's been confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 29September 13, 2024 3:32 AM

I hope they find gay actors to play the gay characters. I'm not averse to straight actors playing gay roles, but with soaps there's (hopefully) a longer-term attachment to the characters that develops, so seeing gays playing gay becomes more meaningful. e.g. On Days it was entertaining seeing out actors, Greg Rikkart and Peter Porte, in a relationship as "Leo & Dmitri."

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2024 2:01 AM

I don’t know. They’ve already changed the show’s name to Beyond The Gates and they will have 8 Executive Producers!!! 8. Sounds like a mess behind the scenes already and with 8 EP’s, there can’t be 1 vision because all 8 ep’s will want to justify their salary. I give the show a year, tops.

by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2024 1:04 PM

First cast members announced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2024 2:01 PM

Last week, CBS announced that "Beyond the Gates" is assembling its debut cast in preparation for its early next year launch on CBS Daytime.

Notably, seasoned daytime stars Tamara Tunie (formerly Jessica Griffin on "As the World Turns"), Karla Mosley (formerly Christina Moore Boudreau on "Guiding Light" and Maya Avant Forrester on "Bold and Beautiful"), and Daphne Duplaix (formerly Valerie Davis on "Passions" and Rachel Gannon on "One Life to Live") have joined the cast as members of the influential Dupree family.

by Anonymousreply 33September 24, 2024 1:10 PM

Sigh, I miss Maya and Rick. But, I digress...

by Anonymousreply 34September 24, 2024 1:17 PM

I love Tamara Tunie—-would want to be her morgue patient though

by Anonymousreply 35September 24, 2024 1:24 PM

She will need time off to play Kamala on the Max movie about the 2024 election…which is surely on the table as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 36September 24, 2024 1:25 PM

Tunie already played Kamala in a play.

by Anonymousreply 37September 24, 2024 1:43 PM

There you go…

by Anonymousreply 38September 24, 2024 1:48 PM

I have been denied a role on this theatrical enterprise.

I am insulted!

by Anonymousreply 39September 24, 2024 1:58 PM

I won't be tuning in...

by Anonymousreply 40September 24, 2024 8:41 PM

R40 😆 but is anyone planning to tune in?

by Anonymousreply 41October 6, 2024 12:24 PM

Aside from Luis, they're bringing another Latino character, Tomas "Tom" Hernandez, described as Latinx, sure of himself, handsome and an attorney in his 20s.

Also Mike, Caucasian male in his 50s. Joseph's best friend, best man at his wedding and a prominent attorney in his own right. Mike will have to deal with a scandal pertaining to sexual impropriety in tbe workplace.

by Anonymousreply 42October 6, 2024 12:26 PM

R19 Since the NAACP and P&G are involved this will probably be left alone.

by Anonymousreply 43October 6, 2024 1:03 PM

If they are willing to create a new soap, it is not crazy for the canceled soaps to come back. I mean if they brought back "murphy brown" and other shows it is possible to see guiding light, as the world turns, etc. back. I would have told you were crazy last year that a broadcast network would create a daily daytime soap.

I think they realized even though soaps are expensive they get more viewers and they get more consistent viewership too. People will skip an episode of a talk show or game show-- but there is more pressure to watch a daytime soap everyday even if you don't like the current storylines as you never know when things get better. And because there are multiple storylines and characters you will generally have at least one storyline to look forward to. I also think they realize that although many people DVR shows, some people still watch live making lead-ins still important.

by Anonymousreply 44October 6, 2024 1:58 PM

A soap about a gated community is boring. I wish they would have created a show centered on crime/mystery like the edge of night or one centered on college. Given the popularity of true crime and cop procedurals-- it is a no brainer that a crime based soap would have more of a mainstream and cross over appeal. And a college based soap would appeal more to younger people. It is like soaps are obsessed with the lives of the rich although it has been done to death.

by Anonymousreply 45October 6, 2024 2:00 PM

I'll give it a look when it starts.

But I think this is too much of a throwback to the 80s - rich people being dramatic. A daytime soap might have done something interesting if it were more like Eastenders.

by Anonymousreply 46October 6, 2024 2:02 PM

r46

Yeah, I think the reason daytime soaps don't do well is because they tend to be conservative and stuck on stereotypical 80s soap dynamics. They seem to ghettoize themselves too. Desperate housewives was a soap opera about middle class people and was widely popular. I am not interested in a work class soap like Eastenders but can we move away the tycoon and high powered attorney crap.

by Anonymousreply 47October 6, 2024 2:08 PM

This is a calculated (and formulaic) attempt to extend the heavily black audience of Y&R by an hour, even though many of them drop off during B&B. Otherwise, there would be no reason for P&G to be involved. Eyeballs on advertisements.

by Anonymousreply 48October 6, 2024 6:47 PM

[quote] A soap about a gated community is boring.

Maybe that's why someone spoke up and said, "Maybe it should be called 'BEYOND the Gates.'"

by Anonymousreply 49October 6, 2024 6:50 PM

This will fail. A million viewers, at best.

by Anonymousreply 50October 6, 2024 9:48 PM

LET ME IN YOU BITCHES!

by Anonymousreply 51October 6, 2024 11:22 PM

I luv The Blacks!

They can play my maids!

by Anonymousreply 52October 6, 2024 11:26 PM

Let’s have a maid called Mamie!

by Anonymousreply 53October 6, 2024 11:29 PM

r53 I never understood why YR was so popular with black people. All of their black characters had racist origins. Drucilla was an illiterate street person. Mamie was called mamie. I mean there are black people like that, but they dipped into all stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 54October 7, 2024 12:14 AM

R50 A million viewers would probably be enough to continue it as a streaming-only series on Paramount+. It's been guesstimated that Days on the 'Cock gets something under a million unique IPs.

by Anonymousreply 55October 7, 2024 12:16 AM

R54 Two of the main characters in the Barber-Winters quad - Olivia and Neil - didn't have "racist origins." .. Olivia entered the canvas as a doctor and former sorority sister of Ashley Abbott's. Neil was an MBA from Stanford. And prior to that, neither police chief, Frank Lewis (the wonderful Brock Peters) nor his daughter, Amy Lewis (the memorable Stephanie E. Williams) have such origins. Tyrone and Jazz Jackson were like the precursors of Neil and Malcolm Winters. Admittedly, while the former was well-educated and high-achieving, the other was more urban and streetwise.

by Anonymousreply 56October 7, 2024 12:32 AM

It makes me sad that people have forgotten about the short lived soap Generations which was a focused on a black family.

by Anonymousreply 57October 7, 2024 4:38 AM

R57. I loved Generations.

by Anonymousreply 58October 7, 2024 4:43 AM

"Generations" was mentioned by many mainstream media sources when they reported on the original announcement about "The Gates."

by Anonymousreply 59October 7, 2024 6:22 AM

Will there be tap dancing, negro spirituals, and perhaps some jive talking by poor black woken with large asses?

by Anonymousreply 60October 7, 2024 7:59 AM

R60 We can only hope!

by Anonymousreply 61October 7, 2024 3:27 PM

I'll teach them to read, through rap!

by Anonymousreply 62October 7, 2024 3:40 PM

R56 Stephanie E. Williams being replaced by Valarie Pettiford at Y&R, is this possibly a first in daytime, where there were only two actresses who've played the same role, on different soaps? Valarie was replaced by Stephanie as Sheila Price on OLTL in the 90's; Stephanie left Y&R when Valarie debut on OLTL.

by Anonymousreply 63October 8, 2024 3:43 PM

R63 Hmm, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 64October 8, 2024 4:30 PM

Open the damn gates!

by Anonymousreply 65October 8, 2024 7:53 PM

CBS allowing them to hire walking lawsuit Vicky Rowell?

Maybe if she hadn't tried to SUE them.

by Anonymousreply 66October 8, 2024 8:22 PM

Where are the mens?

We need some actor announcements.

by Anonymousreply 67October 8, 2024 11:04 PM

Timothy J Stickney please!

by Anonymousreply 68October 8, 2024 11:06 PM

Could we get Kyler Pettis (ex-Theo Carver on Days) for the gay househusband (Daniel) who's married to the ambitious politician (Marcus)?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 9, 2024 12:07 AM

R69, I second that idea! He’s sexy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 70October 9, 2024 12:31 AM

I will watch on the strength of Tamara alone. She is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 71October 9, 2024 2:50 AM

We need some good BBC!

by Anonymousreply 72October 9, 2024 3:52 AM

Looking to cast more than just BBC. .. Of course, there's a "Luis."

[quote] “Tom” is a Latinx male in his late 20s. Tomas “Tom” Hernandez is an extremely handsome and supremely confident attorney. This is a contract role.

[quote] “Mike” is described as a white male in his 50s. He’s a high-powered law partner of “Joseph’s” – and also the best man at his wedding. However, Mike has now been accused of sexual impropriety in the workplace. This is a non-contract role.

[quote] “Luis” is a Hispanic/Latino male in his late 20s to early 40s. Luis is described as sexy, attractive, and drop-dead gorgeous. He’s a personal trainer at the Fairmont Estates Country Club. Luis has an eye on one of the married women in the gated community. He is charming, likable, and (of course!) extremely fit. The character of Luis is non-contract.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 11, 2024 6:27 PM

Tom, Mike, Patrick, Sam, Elizabeth, Diane, Jillian, Stacy, Courtney, Marcus and Luis.

Sounds more like "Loving."

by Anonymousreply 74October 11, 2024 7:40 PM

R74, minus Trucker and Dinah Lee...

by Anonymousreply 75October 11, 2024 7:55 PM

Beyond The Gates is gonna FAIL! Soap operas aren’t the “in” thing. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 76October 11, 2024 8:34 PM

I mean hopefully they’re planning some gaming tie ins with viewer avatars and augmented reality experiences to be cutting edge of sponsorship opportunities…

Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 77October 12, 2024 12:52 AM

Probably better to just watch Saints and Sinners reruns.

by Anonymousreply 78October 12, 2024 1:12 AM

If the gay husbands actually have a sex life that we see, and the "drop dead gorgeous" personal trainer is also into wealthy men, then I may watch.

by Anonymousreply 79October 13, 2024 8:37 PM

This portion of down low sex in the DC burbs is brought to you today by:

Proctor & Gamble's Secret.

Secret. Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.

by Anonymousreply 80October 13, 2024 9:34 PM

R80,

It’s Procter & Gamble.

-Nancy Lee Grahn

by Anonymousreply 81October 14, 2024 1:46 AM

Has Mickey Dwyer Dobbin commented yet? Are any wizened old men going to be on this show?

by Anonymousreply 82October 14, 2024 10:17 AM

R82 There's supposed to be an old Black man named "Patrick" in his 60-70s described as follows:

[quote] Patrick is gentle, humble, and generous with his experience and knowledge. Patrick was in the thick of things during the 1960s civil rights movement. He marched alongside Dr. Martin Luther King. He kept on marching into an illustrious career as a Senator. Now retired, Patrick is living his best life as he enjoys his golden years in his beautiful home with his wife Betty. However, he’s also hiding a dangerous family secret!

by Anonymousreply 83October 14, 2024 9:10 PM

I think the show sounds good. I wish it well, and will definitely watch.

Does anyone know if it has been given a least a year? I think that’s how Another World and the Agnes Nixon’s shows were able to make it.

by Anonymousreply 84October 15, 2024 1:51 AM

R84 US Weekly reported that the soap had been given "a full-season order." Not sure exactly what that means since it's starting in January instead of September. The "seasons" for the other CBS soaps, Y&R and B&B, basically coincide with the Fall television season and run for a calendar year.

by Anonymousreply 85October 15, 2024 3:48 AM

Real Andrews in as well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 15, 2024 10:09 PM

This will bomb.

by Anonymousreply 87October 15, 2024 11:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!