Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Young women are leaving the churches

As recently as the 1990s, 90% of Americans identified as Christian. Today 63%.

Now, young women are leading the exodus, fed up with churches that want them to be silent and obedient.

No wonder the MAGAs are so desperate to turn back the clock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2024 5:10 PM

The talking point about Zoomers reversing the trend of previous generations and not leaving religion behind found dead in a ditch.

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2024 2:20 PM

Can you blame them?

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2024 2:23 PM

Rather than look inward, the MAGAs are blaming everyone else for their own collapse. They turn to a false orange messiah and seek to use force to impose their vision on us all. That’s just going to accelerate their decline.

Look inward, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2024 2:25 PM

It's always a good day when people leave religion behind.

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2024 2:28 PM

There was a Christian theologian who warned that in the 18th century, the church lost intellectuals; in the 19th century, it lost the working classes; in the 20th century, it lost the young and if they were not careful, in the 21st century it would lose women. This was said about the Catholic church, but it is obviously applicable to other groups and denominations, and the explanation is very simple: adopting positions that actively go against the needs, interests and well-being of your believers has very real consequences.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2024 2:29 PM

The Catholic Church is a corporation and its goals are money and power r5

Guess that brow beating and child molesting would only attract young women for so long

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2024 2:35 PM

No wonder MAGAs want to abolish the Department of Education.

Once you give these girlies a bit of education, they do all kinds of whacko things.

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2024 2:41 PM

Good for them!

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2024 2:49 PM

Yes, very good for them, R8!

I’d also like to point out that it is men who are driving women out of organized religion, because they use the pulpit, the Bible, & their false perception of “male leadership”, that drives them to become insufferable.

Reasonable people/women don’t want any part of this farce.

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2024 2:56 PM

They might hope to control what girls are taught in school, but they can’t control what they learn on the internet. Once people have a taste of freedom, they want more. Ironic that “freedom” had been the right’s mantra. Of course their idea of freedom is not being regulated by governments. Control by religion is fine with them. Now “freedom” is becoming the mantra of the left. Freedom from religion.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2024 2:56 PM

Well at least you made it clear from the start that it was a Trump thread.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2024 2:58 PM

I didn’t express my thoughts properly @ R9., however, most of you get it, I assume.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2024 2:59 PM

This is so DUMM. Yes they’re leaving the churches, but that’s just because mass is over!!!

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2024 2:59 PM

The only freedom the Right ever really cared about was the freedom not to pay their fair share of taxes, and their dedication to that remains total.

If they can throw in some misogyny and racism and pretend it's in the name of freedom, of course they'll be there with bells on. It's more of a hobby than a calling, though.

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2024 3:01 PM

It’s not a Trump thread, R11.

It’s a thread that hones in on the idea that people, especially women, are sick & tired of being told how to act, dress, speak & behave, based on a fictional book, & some fictional entity, while continually being browbeaten if they push back or ask legitimate questions.

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2024 3:03 PM

The rise of Trump is one of the most important and dangerous historical and social movements in my lifetime. It’s reaching its crisis moment now and for the next 5 months. I won’t apologize to the ostriches like r11 for talking about it whenever it is relevant. And the desperation of the evangelicals is the driving force of MAGA

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2024 3:06 PM

Sorry, usually the word MAGA is associated with Trump. I guess I was wrong. You stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2024 3:06 PM

It’s funny because I feel like men are becoming more religious and women are becoming less.

Men want to oppress modern women into being their wives and mothers so they look to religion for old school tactics. It’s like men are doing it in hopes to control a woman.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2024 3:07 PM

R16 is nuts. A weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2024 3:09 PM

This thread touches on Trump because Trump is exploiting the anxiety of evangelicals to attain power, but what is happening is deeper than its political manifestations.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2024 3:10 PM

You would think that leaving organized religion, along with other measures of progress, would make young women happier and more contented with their lives. But it hasn’t.

There are countless individual churches that provide purpose, community, and spiritual solace (whatever that may be) for their members.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2024 3:10 PM

but your OCD makes you create.....another Trump thread. You couldn't have put it in one of the existing 20 million Trump threads?

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2024 3:11 PM

This thread is about young women leaving the churches, you moron.

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2024 3:13 PM

most women today are too fat for the pews

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2024 3:14 PM

Says who, R21?

It’s evangelical men who are profoundly unhappy that there aren’t enough subservient women filling the pews in order to coddle them, while fulfilling men’s expectations & demands.

Evangelical men & incels are pissed off that young women would rather go at it alone, instead of becoming some sort of “Trad-Wife”.

Who can blame these women? They witnessed the way their mothers were treated, & decided to bounce from that particular type of dreary existence.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2024 3:22 PM

r7, like get great paying jobs and sending incels couch pumping?

No wonder educated women leave organized religion.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2024 3:23 PM

funny, I know a lot more miserable women than men.

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2024 3:23 PM

r27, do they have college degrees and no children?

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2024 3:24 PM

Then you haven’t met enough men, R27.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2024 3:25 PM

Pew Research on who voted n 2022.

[quote]Protestants once again accounted for a majority of Republican voters (59%), with their share of the party’s voters essentially unchanged across the past four elections. Protestants constituted a third of Democratic voters in 2022; a larger share of Democratic voters (39%) described themselves as religiously unaffiliated (including atheists, agnostics and those who describe themselves as “nothing in particular”).

[quote]White evangelical Protestant voters made up about a third of the Republican voting coalition in 2022, while accounting for just 5% of Democratic voters. And while Black Protestants continue to represent a more substantial share of Democratic voters than Republican voters (12% vs. 1%), the share of Republican voters who are Protestant and have a racial or ethnic background other than Black or White grew slightly in 2022 (to 8%, up from 5% in the previous three election cycles).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2024 3:39 PM

When young women want to be told what to do the church will be waiting for them. The christians have been playing this game for 2000 plus years.Take Mexico for example they had a revolution that confiscated the churches property and made giving mass illegal. slowly but surely the church crept back in and now just like in the US every elected individual has to profess to love the church and believe in God.Women want what they want when they want it. The church still doesn't pay taxes and owns the best property in most cities and towns in much of the world. The original insurance corporation knows its business and they adapt to the times.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2024 3:48 PM

What about Muslims?

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2024 3:51 PM

[quote]Women want what they want when they want it.

Yup -- when I want to know all about women, the first person I'll ask is a gay man!

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2024 3:56 PM

My mother was raised by a strict fundamentalist grandmother and suffered a lot of emotional abuse as a child because of it. There was little love in the god she knew, but a whole lot of judgement and fear.

Mom tried to force it on us, but by 10 or 12 we started refusing to go to church. I'd sit there and think, "this is a lot of boring bullshit." At 12, literally.

Eventually the whole family was agnostic/atheist but mom hung on, having found a friendly church where she made pleasant lady friends and enjoyed the social occasions. By the end of her life what church meant to her was friendship and community. She never spoke of it otherwise. To me, if you want a loving god you have to create that entity yourself. I find my community in places where I don't have to pretend to believe something I don't.

The sons and daughters of the youngest generation of my family (now in 20s and 30s) are all really great kids, hard working, kind, and unencumbered by religious dictates. You don't need religion to be a decent, caring human being.

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2024 4:06 PM

R18 Where do you find data about men becoming more "religious", defined here as church-going?

It will be interesting to see what happens to Christianity in general, and American Christianity specifically. There are a of data which show diminished membership in BOTH maintstream churches and the evangelical sects and denominations... in the US. We are less aware of the explosion of growth in the southern hemisphere. Africa, Latin America has growing Christian/evangelical church members (and Catholic, but that's another discussion). I think Guatemala and El Salvador are majority evangelical (including political power in both countries). African Christians have such growth that many "American" denominations now have fewer members in the US than in Africa. And the reactionary, cultural extreme conservative beliefs and practices of the southern hemisphere will be much more influential than anything that happens in the US.

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2024 4:07 PM

[quote]As with Mojica Rodríguez, some fume over gender hierarchies, the inability of women to serve in influential positions, or expectations of chastity placed upon girls. Others, they say, struggle with their church’s positions on reproductive and/or LGBTQ+ rights.

When your religion, like a lot of society, treats you like a lesser than, a servant, one who probably earn less than your male peers just based on gender or the fact you may have children, you might get fed up and suck "F this!"

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2024 4:22 PM

[quote] You would think that leaving organized religion, along with other measures of progress, would make young women happier and more contented with their lives. But it hasn’t.

"along with other measures of progress": what does that mean?

How do you know that leaving organized religion hasn't made young women happier and more content? Our their lives worse? I doubt their lives are worse. At the very least, it frees up some time.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2024 4:30 PM

^ Free time to scroll through Instagram and feel an emptiness in their lives while fabulous lifestyles on display compete for attention.

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2024 4:37 PM

Or, free time to go wake up late and go to a fabulous brunch with their friends instead of listening to some conman wanker - sorry, preacher - drone on about a bronze age book.

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2024 4:52 PM

Meh, humans will just find something else to make their religion. In many ways, at least in the US, politics has now become a religion. It's almost like humans are wired to worship and be followers in order to feel "part of a group." It's rather interesting to witness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2024 5:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!