Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How confident are you that Harris-Walz will win?

I am vacillating between cautious optimism and flashbacks to 2016.

by Anonymousreply 462October 1, 2024 3:55 AM

It could go either way. Kamala enjoys an enormous amount of support from the media and the billionaire class (who are also donating to Trump's campaign behind the scenes, just in case), but Trump has a very strong grassroots movement behind him. Kamala is also allowing herself to be coached for once, so she hasn't repeated the 'I'm speaking' display of arrogance and is carefully adopting a softer, more conciliatory image. Trump is being his usual abrasive self and is resorting to throwing childish insults instead of implementing a well-organized takedown, and this will cost him in the future.

If the economy improves, Kamala will be able to score a win and the public will congregate around her. If it doesn't improve, she will have a much more difficult time presenting herself as a viable candidate, but it can be done. Trump doesn't have the favourable coverage that Harris has been given, so he actually has to work harder to appeal to independent voters and so far, he's squandered the golden ticket he was handled after his attempted assassination by acting like a boor, instead of a magnanimous, level-headed leader.

Time will tell, but in my opinion it will be a very contested race that Kamala will win, thanks to the fact that the media is, in its majority, fiercely against Trump. Moreover, he is both intellectually limited and incredibly arrogant, so he will refuse to manage the situation like an adult. Kamala, on the other hand, is an imbecile and a nasty piece of work, but she has so much support that it's almost impossible for her to lose - the only thing he has to do is pretend to be civil and allow Trump to shoot himself in the foot by being obnoxious, imperious and boisterous.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2024 10:58 AM

[quote]Kamala, on the other hand, is an imbecile and a nasty piece of work

šŸ™„

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2024 11:02 AM

Harris has no chance. The Harris Troll informs us that she is very unpopular and has no support within the Dem party.

The Harris Troll thinks that Newsom would have been a much better choice.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2024 11:05 AM

What a load of bullshit at r1.

Trumpers ALWAYS guard Trump from himself. Trumpers ALWAYS make excuses for him.

You're like the worst type of parent who, in front of their child, undermines the authority of every other adult around him who dares try to point out bratty behavior. Instead of holding your kid accountable, you blame others.

Aren't you exhausted?

Here. How about, for once, just admitting it - Trump's own fucking ignorant mouth and criminal behavior is why he's the biggest LOSER ever.

You didn't cause him. You can't control him. You can't cure him.

You are, however, enabling him. Stop.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2024 11:19 AM

Please join me in FFing the delusive troll at R1. Does he think we don't read the news?

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2024 11:27 AM

Itā€™ll be another close election. Really the Republicans should have this in the bag. But I see major Trump fatigue. Heā€™s been on the scene for 9:years now and heā€™s gotten stale. . Harris is running a good campaign but I wish Dems had another candidate.Sheā€™s a light weight. Iā€™d give Harris a 55% chance of the win.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2024 11:27 AM

R6's trolling is a lot subtler than R1's, I'll give him that.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2024 11:29 AM

r1 was going on about the "Democrat Party" in another thread.

MAGA tell.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2024 11:34 AM

I'm glad most of DL is cautiously confident.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2024 2:25 PM

I'll be more comfortable once the polls at the beginning of September show Harris ahead. By then, people will have made up their minds, and polls will be much more accurate.

Right now, I'm sick of reading about Trump's "falsehoods" in headlines from respectable papers like the NYT. They're lies, and headlines should call them lies...it's more direct and accurate. He is deliberate. "Falsehoods" allow wriggle room in people's minds.

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2024 2:45 PM

R10, I feel optimistic that the Harris campaign can keep up the momentum through Labor Day. The DNC will give a new impetus, along with continued rallies and advertising. Trump will to flatline unless he can get some new material, either in policy (unlikely) or by some external unpredictable event that throws Harris off balance (possible). But he's having a lot of trouble expanding his pool of voters.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2024 2:53 PM

Polling is pointing toward a Harris victory. Diaper Don is getting more unhinged by the day, so he seems to have accepted that he's going to lose again.

by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2024 3:22 PM

I'm worried that TSF will dump Vivian and run Nimrata or Little Marco at the last minute while and they be at 52 percent in a week without a single interview.

His number one goal is to stay out of jail, I think he'd even step down if he was guaranteed immunity and cash. He is his ratings and they're tanking by the hour and he knows it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2024 3:31 PM

The fact that a convicted felon who tried to pull an insurrection is probably going to be reelected should tell you something about the state of the US.

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2024 3:36 PM

I genuinely believe they are a winning ticket.

People are soooo sick of Trump. He is utterly exhausting, & I do not believe most Americans are willing to go another round with this man and his lunacy.

Itā€™s just too much, & bad for the soul & psyche.

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2024 3:46 PM

They both have issues, here are my nonbiased thoughts on the campaigns:

The Trump campaign has been a disaster. He thought he had it in the bag that he would beat Biden. To Trump, it is inconceivable that someone is willing to give up power the way Biden did. I'm sure he had campaign staff that told him Biden would drop, but he didn't listen. If he thought Harris would be the VP pick, he would not have picked Vance to be his running mate. Clearly Vance was not vetted like a normal VP pick. Besides focusing on the economy and the border, Trump focuses on when she "turned into a black." He has no agenda and must now answer the age questions. Remember, 40 out of the 44 members of his cabinet have openly said he is unfit to be president.

Harris also has her problems. Besides getting primary votes, she was hand picked by Biden to be his successor. That rubs many people the wrong way, what has she done to become the nominee? While she is popular with the Tick Tock generation, she also has to answer on why the border and economy were not managed well for four years. Harris is going to focus on abortion. She has not had a press conference, making some believe she is hoping she can ride abortion and Tick Tock to become the president. Harris has a very liberal track record, which might make it hard to gain moderates and Never Trumpers. She picked Walz, who is folksy, but I am not sure if he could carry her the way Shapiro could have.

As far as foreign policy, Harris will most likely keep Biden's blueprints, but neither Harris or Walz have foreign policy experience. Trump is focusing more on America First, which resonations with a lot of average-middle class Americans who feel they lost their jobs overseas (in reality they lost their job to automation, but Trump doesn't understand that). Trump is very pro-Israel, while Harris will have to walk to tight rope between the traditional pro-Israel Democrats and the Tick Tock liberals who love her but and very Pro-Palestine. Trump says he won't let Russia take Ukraine, and China take Taiwan, but he doesn't have a good track record on keeping promises.

As of today, I think Harris will win, but it is August. The DNC is next week. Let's see if the Democrats unite around her the way the Republicans did Trump (which was mainly in part because of his assassination attempt). I think by September and the debates we will get a more comprehensive view of the election.

I also think it is important to think what will happen if she wins. Will he deny the election? Will we have another January 6?

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2024 4:14 PM

Sorry to ramble! Elections are like my Christmas!

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2024 4:15 PM

I also think it is interesting that the Never Trump/Traditional Republicans like Bush, Romney, McCain, Cheney, etc. have not endorsed Harris.

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2024 4:19 PM

[quote]she was hand picked by Biden to be his successor. That rubs many people the wrong way, what has she done to become the nominee?

She won a majority of the delegates' votes, as well as receiving overwhelming support, by all measures, from every level of the party. Begone, troll!

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2024 4:45 PM

R19 I am not trolling. I do not see how that is being a troll at all.

I think it is a fair criticism to say she did not compete in a primary. Who else were the delegates going to vote for? Who else could start a presidential campaign in July and realistically win in November?

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2024 4:51 PM

You're repeating every Republican talking point of the last three weeks and speculating ingenuously on whether she can "gain moderates and Never Trumpers" and whether "the Democrats unite around her," as if these questions weren't being answered in real time.

[quote]she also has to answer on why the border and economy were not managed well for four years

She has: the bipartisan border bill was blown up by Republicans at Trump's orders, and the economy has been roaring.

Begone, troll!

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2024 5:00 PM

Iā€™m cautiously optimistic. The groundswell of enthusiasm and support for Kamala and Tim, combined with the Trump shitshow these past few weeks, gives me hope. That said, letā€™s not forget that Hillary was ahead in the polls in 2016 and we all know how that turned out. Vote, vote, vote.

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2024 5:11 PM

[quote] popular with the Tick Tock generation

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2024 5:17 PM

[quote] I also think it is interesting that the Never Trump/Traditional Republicans like Bush, Romney, McCain, Cheney, etc. have not endorsed Harris.

I don't know about the others, but it might be a little difficult for McCain to endorse Harris.

by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2024 5:18 PM

[quote] and the economy has been roaring.

The stock market is not the economy for every day Americans. The majority of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck and have historic record debt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2024 5:19 PM

More Americans may be struggling to make ends meet. A majority, 65%, say they live paycheck to paycheck, according to CNBC and SurveyMonkey's recent Your Money International Financial Security Survey, which polled 498 U.S. adults. That's a slight increase from last year's results, which found that 58% of Americans considered themselves to be living paycheck to paycheck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 13, 2024 5:20 PM

Home Depot issues a warning about the economy

New York CNN ā€” Home Depot says consumers are feeling crummy about the economy, and theyā€™re dishing out less on major home renovation projects.

The home improvement giant, a bellwether of consumer spending and the housing market, lowered its sales expectations for the year. It said customers were spending less on home improvement projects, pressured by higher interest rates and concerns that the economy is getting worse.

Home Depotā€™s business is closely tied to the housing market, and high interest rates are putting a brake on housing turnover and consumers financing larger projects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2024 5:21 PM

R27 I can't imagine what their angle could be...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 13, 2024 5:25 PM

R16-18 sounds like an AI digest of Republican misinformation and talking pointsā€”most of them from two or three weeks ago before the current race had gelled.

by Anonymousreply 29August 13, 2024 5:28 PM

US small-business optimism increased to a more than two-year high in July on a more sanguine outlook about the economy and sales.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 13, 2024 5:29 PM

A key measure of wholesale inflation rose less than expected in July, opening the door further for the Federal Reserve to start lowering interest rates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 13, 2024 5:32 PM

Mortgage rates tumbled to a 15-month low this week, prompting a flurry of refinancing activity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 13, 2024 5:33 PM

[quote]she was hand picked by Biden to be his successor. That rubs many people the wrong way, what has she done to become the nominee?

You mean it rubs Republicans the wrong that that most Democrats don't care and it can't be used to foment party division.

by Anonymousreply 33August 13, 2024 5:37 PM

R24 I meant the McCain family

by Anonymousreply 34August 13, 2024 5:38 PM

Are you still here, R34? Begone, troll!

by Anonymousreply 35August 13, 2024 5:40 PM

If Trump lost with the incumbency advantage in 2020, I'm convinced he will lose again this year.

by Anonymousreply 36August 13, 2024 5:44 PM

In normal times, I would agree, r36. But in 2020 we were still largely locked down because of COVID. It wasn't really a normal election.

Had COVID never happened, I think there's a much greater change Dump would have won.

by Anonymousreply 37August 13, 2024 5:50 PM

Maybe, R37, but then again elections had been going against the Republicans since Trump was inaugurated (starting with Alabama). His mismanagement of the pandemic (and general discontent) might have just been one more straw on the camel's back.

by Anonymousreply 38August 13, 2024 6:01 PM

So, thatā€™s the new approach of Repug Trolls, try and fail to strike a tone of reason and both siderism.

by Anonymousreply 39August 13, 2024 6:56 PM

True, r38. COVID really was the straw that broke the camel's back.

by Anonymousreply 40August 13, 2024 7:15 PM

Absolutely zero celebrating or displays of glee. You smile the day AFTER the election, never before. Everything about the Harris-Walz ticket and that of their supporters needs to be underdog behavior. Being an underdog is like raw meat to Americans. So give it to them.

I believe in this ticket and am signed up to work for it. How about you?

by Anonymousreply 41August 13, 2024 7:26 PM

The polling of Trump vs. Biden showed us that Trump could have walked away with this election.

And he could have done it even against Chuckle Head Harris.

But he's such an imbecile, an expert at hanging himself with his own noose.

The more he talks, the better for Harris.

No way is he going to win this.

by Anonymousreply 42August 13, 2024 7:48 PM

I still worry about Trump winning.

by Anonymousreply 43August 13, 2024 7:53 PM

And what r42 writes is why Harris will, at the debate, let Trump hang himself.

He'll bring Enough Rope to do so.

I don't see Harris' debate strategy the same as others do. Not that I know better, but, most of the predictions about her strategy during the debate is that she'll "prosecute" him.

I don't think she will.

Oh, to be sure, she'll be prepared to deploy a number of strategies, including strongly correcting the record when he lies.

But I think Plan A by her is to just let his insecurity, rage, ignorance take over his mouth. He can't help himself.

In short, Trump will prosecute Trump. Harris will let him.

by Anonymousreply 44August 13, 2024 8:00 PM

Love it, R44. Her strategy so far of not letting him drive her agenda suggests you're right.

by Anonymousreply 45August 13, 2024 8:03 PM

Not a great economic indicator for the Trump trolls:

Bank of America CEO says research team ā€˜does not have any recession predicted anymoreā€™

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 13, 2024 9:03 PM

Good r46!

by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2024 9:58 AM

I thought Iā€™d got all the trolls on my blocked list. R1 had slipped by, until now. Cry harder troll.

by Anonymousreply 48August 14, 2024 10:14 AM

It's probably a sock, r48

by Anonymousreply 49August 14, 2024 10:18 AM

Trump campaign had a chance to pin Kamala to the recent markets issue but couldnā€™t get the orange idiot on message.

The campaign is so ā€œdisciplinedā€ when Trump is winning, but when it gets tough, no one can keep him on track. Heā€™ll only go more off the rails about his imagined demons.

The Harris campaign is filling arenas across the country, staying on message about the issues important to voters, while calling out Trumps lunacy at every turn.

Trump is yelling at clouds while Vance is doing whatever the fuck he calls his epic brand of weird creepiness.

This race is winnable if Dems stay smart. The challenges after the election, if Kamala wins, will also be formidable. But winnable.

by Anonymousreply 50August 14, 2024 10:24 AM

Exactly, R50. The Trump campaign is formidably disciplined as long as they only have to repeat one message ("Biden is old"). Some discipline!

by Anonymousreply 51August 14, 2024 11:00 AM

Hence the quote marks, R51.

by Anonymousreply 52August 14, 2024 11:24 AM

Another Floridian is out of the question, R13. The December electors in Tallahassee could not vote for both of them under the Constitution.

by Anonymousreply 53August 14, 2024 11:30 AM

Fortunately, r13, he is stuck with Vance.

by Anonymousreply 54August 14, 2024 12:02 PM

r53, Rubio can resign from the senate and claim residency in VA. Scaramucci is predicting that he will dump JD the day after the Dem convention. They have to do something to keep the race close in order to steal it, which is their plan. I just don't see them not taking dramatic action. They will do anything to regain power.

by Anonymousreply 55August 14, 2024 12:42 PM

I posted this on a different thread, but itā€™s important:

The buzz on Tim Walz reminds me of the old American folk heroā€™s we would hear in our nationā€™s mythology, like Johnny Appleseed or Paul Bunyon, right?

Here is the site I trust most for election data. Note that in the Electoral College, they are in a dead heat. Kamala must take all blue states *and* MI, WI, PA, and we still donā€™t hit 270, so we will need even one more. GA? GA? We need you GA, always on my mind! NV? AZ? We need you!

And not to scare people (do not be discouraged, change your mindset to get fired up instead!) but the dead heat in the EC means that they really are going to refuse to certify so they can force a House vote, giving Trump the win.

We should start calling red state House members (say youā€™re a constituent!) and let them know that if they donā€™t demand a certified vote, they are pushing our country toward a Civil War, and we will demand that fullest recourse of the law is enforced against ALL traitors. Demand that they ensure voters that all counts will be certified. Then we need to be calling red state governors and telling them that if they donā€™t enforce the fucking law, we will ruin them, forever. We need a thread that has the contact info of Election Judges who are likely to refuse to certify, and we need to SWARM them. Now.

We also need to be calling our own blue state (if thatā€™s where you are of course) Senators demanding that the DOJ feels the heat to be PRO-active on this refusal to certify bullshit. Whatā€™s the DOJā€™s plan to enforce the law? What are governors doing? Can voters in red states sue for voter disenfranchisement? There needs to be class action suits, and we need to sue these fuckers for their personal assets. Tort action as voters.

If Kamala and Tim continue this momentum, yes, we are in great shape BUT the problem is the cheating traitors. They want to literally take it, right in front of us. Donā€™t let them. We need to stay 10 moves ahead of these fuckers, remember, these arenā€™t really smart people. But the pressure campaign on their refusal to certify needs to start *now* because I feel quite confident that thatā€™s whatā€™s coming. Dems are doing their best to rile up voters while still quelling violence. But if these voters pull this stunt, well, letā€™s just say, itā€™s not what anyone wants to see happen. I will never be ruled by force and domination, and I hope you feel the same. Never. Give me liberty or nothing.

Get ā€˜em, gang! Sic ā€˜em! Go go go!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 14, 2024 1:15 PM

[quote] Scaramucci is predicting that he will dump JD the day after the Dem convention.

I have no reason to doubt this.

"....But!....But!... what about those printed ballots and deadlines that we were screaming about when Biden withdrew?"

Will we hear the same from Repug operatives when their candidates change?

by Anonymousreply 57August 14, 2024 1:16 PM

They won't dump JD. It will make them look weak and ineffectual - Trump just chose him last month. Besides, what effect is Vance having in this race? Not much - it's the head of the ticket - Trump - that's causing all the chaos. That won't change a bit with another running mate.

by Anonymousreply 58August 14, 2024 2:53 PM

"Inflation Falls Below 3% for First Time since 2021"

Today's NY Times Headline.

Confidence is high. I repeat : Confidence is high.

by Anonymousreply 59August 14, 2024 2:58 PM

[quite] The polling of Trump vs. Biden showed us that Trump could have walked away with this election. And he could have done it even against Chuckle Head Harris

There can certainly be debate about Harrisā€™s quality as a candidate, but the chuckle head insult is brain dead. Weā€™ve seen her campaign for a while now. She definitely in control of herself and far more in control of herself than most of the recent nominees. And she doesnā€™t spend much time chuckling to the extent she does, people seem to appreciate seeing someone who isnā€™t constantly filled with anger and hatred towards her country.

Itā€™s perfectly to question her abilities but relying on a weird irrelevant Trump style insult isnā€™t a reasonable way to do it. That kind of thinking is why the race is looking less favorable for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 60August 14, 2024 3:04 PM

[quote]There can certainly be debate about Harrisā€™s quality as a candidate, but the chuckle head insult is brain dead.

No it's not.

She hasn't done one interview since becoming the Presidential candidate and is mostly reading off a teleprompter for her appearances. She is taking no questions. So how can you claim she's in more control of herself?

What we do have is an endless amount of examples of her erratic embarrassingly bizarre behavior in interviews.

Chuckle Head Harris is an apt description until proven otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 61August 14, 2024 3:15 PM

[quote] While she is popular with the Tick Tock generation, she also has to answer on why the border and economy were not managed well for four years.

This kind of statement explains why the US deserves Donald Trump. First, the President has relatively little influence over the economy However, assuming that Biden and (even more improbably) Harris have any responsibility for the economy. what kind of deeply stupid and deeply spoiled electorate would be unsatisfied with this economy? I fully understand that not everyone is doing well in the current economy, which is why Democrats favor social programs for the disadvantaged, but in what insane world is an unemployment rate of 4.3% and an inflation rate of 2.9% a mismanaged economy? Just how stupid and spoiled have we become (with the aid of the Republicans) to think 1) any president has much control over these statistics, and 2) that those kinds of measure reflect any measure of hardship. I pray to God we never have a repetition of the Great Depression. Forty to fifty percent of the population would be hurling themselves from the windows.

by Anonymousreply 62August 14, 2024 3:18 PM

Economic literacy is clearly in short supply, R62.

by Anonymousreply 63August 14, 2024 3:27 PM

Economic literacy, r63? Try literacy in general!

by Anonymousreply 64August 14, 2024 3:29 PM

[quote] She hasn't done one interview since becoming the Presidential candidate and is mostly reading off a teleprompter for her appearances. She is taking no questions. So how can you claim she's in more control of herself? What we do have is an endless amount of examples of her erratic embarrassingly bizarre behavior in interviews.

Apparently, it takes quite a lot to appear in control of yourself when giving prepared speeches since George H W Bush, George Bush, John McCain, and Donald Trump frequently sounded pathetic and confused when giving them. Maybe Harris has a better teleprompter? Or maybe she's just more accomplished.

As for the endless gaffes, it is strange that I have never seen them. I have seen clips of a few minutes of her laughing and making cringe-inducing remarks about Ukraine and Venn diagrams. Other than that, I have seen almost nothing. Perhaps you have a clip of an hour or so of her gaffes (since they are "endless") that you could provide? And I assume you can honestly attest that we could not assemble a day's worth of clips of Biden or the two Bushes making bizarre moronic statements or a week's or month's worth of clips of Trump doing the same?Is there a reason why you don't remember all of the astoundingly stupid things her predecessors have said during both scripted and unscripted settings.

I agree she hasn't done many unscripted interviews, which is probably strategically smart on her part, but we have seen speak many times in the past to attest to the fact that she knows how to think on her feet.

by Anonymousreply 65August 14, 2024 3:31 PM

Dump & Madam President got nuthin on you R1šŸ˜‚

by Anonymousreply 66August 14, 2024 3:32 PM

It was a pleasure to block the shit eating trump supporter @R1 into fucking oblivion. Be more convincing, and correct

by Anonymousreply 67August 14, 2024 3:33 PM

Indeed:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 14, 2024 3:35 PM

R68 God. They are reaching back to the playbook of the 1980 campaign.

by Anonymousreply 69August 14, 2024 3:38 PM

[quote]And I assume you can honestly attest that we could not assemble a day's worth of clips of Biden or the two Bushes making bizarre moronic statements or a week's or month's worth of clips of Trump doing the same?Is there a reason why you don't remember all of the astoundingly stupid things her predecessors have said during both scripted and unscripted settings.

Do you see what you do? How dishonest you are?

Please refer to my original post WHERE I WROTE: "But he's such an imbecile, an expert at hanging himself with his own noose. The more he talks, the better for Harris."

by Anonymousreply 70August 14, 2024 3:38 PM

Still with the mindless scaremongering: "Import the third world - become the third world"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 14, 2024 3:39 PM

R70. Please read my post. I made a general comment. Are you disputing it only with resided to Trump?

by Anonymousreply 72August 14, 2024 3:45 PM

At this point, I am fairly confident. People are sick of Trump and donā€™t want to put the country at risk by electing him again. I also think Trump will get increasingly unhinged, especially with his criminal sentencing coming up in September.

by Anonymousreply 73August 14, 2024 3:49 PM

[quote]Third world

Are they campaigning from 1985?

by Anonymousreply 74August 14, 2024 3:51 PM

The 2024 phrase for what used to be called the "third world" (a remnant from the Cold War era) is the "Global Majority" (the "Global South" is already dated).

by Anonymousreply 75August 14, 2024 3:54 PM

R62 Maybe, but Ford, Carter, and Bush all lost over the economy

by Anonymousreply 76August 14, 2024 3:55 PM

[quote]Forty to fifty percent of the population would be hurling themselves from the windows.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 77August 14, 2024 3:58 PM

Link to the latest David Pakman clickbait: Trump says he will FLEE to VENEZUELA if he loses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 14, 2024 4:00 PM

Rubio won't resign from the Senate, and re-establish residency in VA, just to join a losing campaign. It doesn't work that way.

Assuming Trump loses, he has every reason to start running in 2027, not saddled with Trump association baggage. Don't forget that Rubio is one of those NO EXCEPTIONS anti-abortion people, claiming he's being consistent, saying "People who don't agree, don't have to vote for me."

by Anonymousreply 79August 14, 2024 4:00 PM

What a topsy-turvy political world we live in when Trumpers want nothing else but to have Trump SHUT-UP, PLEASE, but at the same time complain that Harris, who they ridicule because how she speaks and what she says, fails to speak-up.

They want to dictate terms to Harris (consistent with their taste for dictators) but she ain't letting you. She's serving her own timeline.

Call a Whaaaaambulance, Trumpers.

by Anonymousreply 80August 14, 2024 4:31 PM

The border is Trumpā€™s winning issue. Kamala is going to have problems explaining it away to the public. Itā€™ll be the debate moment that hurts her.

by Anonymousreply 81August 14, 2024 5:09 PM

R81Yeah, the border is Trumpā€™s winning issue. But he'll even fuck that up with his crazy stream-of-thought ramblings.

Chuckle Head Kamala will cream him in the debates, and even if she doesn't, the media will cover for her.

by Anonymousreply 82August 14, 2024 5:15 PM

[quote] This kind of statement explains why the US deserves Donald Trump.

Please don't burden the whole US population with the assholery of ONE LOSER TROLL whom the rest of us in this thread have already mocked and dismissed. And DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

by Anonymousreply 83August 14, 2024 5:18 PM

The border is not Trumpā€™s winning issue. He tanked a bipartisan border deal, so thatā€™s enough of a rebuttal. Plus he never built his stupid wall. Kamala can rebut Trump on every issue.

by Anonymousreply 84August 14, 2024 6:00 PM

Somebody is really proud of the "Chuckle Head" nickname and determined to make it happen. I have to admit it is better than Kamabla. But only marginally.

by Anonymousreply 85August 14, 2024 6:02 PM

[quote]He tanked a bipartisan border deal, so thatā€™s enough of a rebuttal.

The Biden/Harris Administration did away with title 42. They did away with "Remain in Mexico". They squashed HR2 the Secure the Border Act. The killed the Laiken Riley Act (supported by 37 Dems.)

by Anonymousreply 86August 14, 2024 6:03 PM

[quote]Somebody is really proud of the "Chuckle Head" nickname and determined to make it happen. I have to admit it is better than Kamabla. But only marginally.

Chuckle Head Harris vs. Donald Dump.

This is the world we live in.

by Anonymousreply 87August 14, 2024 6:05 PM

It's the world you live in. Most of the rest of us don't.

by Anonymousreply 88August 14, 2024 6:09 PM

I'll take the Chuckle Head over the Knuckle Head.

by Anonymousreply 89August 14, 2024 6:22 PM

R88 That's our choice in November.

by Anonymousreply 90August 14, 2024 6:22 PM

There is a troll on this thread. I've blocked him, but I can smell him.

by Anonymousreply 91August 14, 2024 6:27 PM

Dump is doing another press conference tomorrow. He must think it will make him seem presidential. Hopefully it just ends up negative for him, again, due to crazy shit he says.

by Anonymousreply 92August 14, 2024 7:02 PM

[quote]The Biden/Harris Administration did away with title 42.

I love how the right-wing has suddenly adopted "the Biden/Harris administration" after 45 months of referring to it as "the Biden administration" only.

by Anonymousreply 93August 14, 2024 7:28 PM

It's today in 45 mins

by Anonymousreply 94August 14, 2024 7:47 PM

NO ONE CARES what Dump says anymore.

He's the Madonna of politics at this point.

by Anonymousreply 95August 14, 2024 8:24 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 14, 2024 8:26 PM

[quote] He tanked a bipartisan border deal, so thatā€™s enough of a rebuttal.

You skipped the part that there was pork attached. This is going to backfire on her and Democrats. Mark my words. Itā€™ll be the biggest debate bluster that everyone will remember.

by Anonymousreply 97August 14, 2024 8:35 PM

I am cautiously optimistic for Harris. But never discount white-American racism and all-American misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 98August 14, 2024 8:51 PM

[quote] Itā€™ll be the biggest debate bluster that everyone will remember.

Did you mean "blunder," troll? Your hyperboles and malapropisms are almost at the level of your idol's.

by Anonymousreply 99August 14, 2024 9:00 PM

All the naysayers keep comparing the 2024 Harris/Walz ticket to the 2016 Hillary/Kain ticket, when they should ACTUALLY be comparing it to the 2016 Trump ticket.

2015/2016 Trump didn't seem to have the numbers on his side, but he had excitement--he had magic. He had (what at least seemed at the time) the "refreshing" voice of a populist outsider--someone people weren't used to being offered as a political leader. Bernie Sanders was that for the left. That's why Hillary couldn't compare to either and never could have competed fairly against that energy.

In 2015 we were on the tail-end of an 8-year long business-as-usual, deeply establishment/ corporate, head-bangingly centrist Obama era. Occupy Wallstreet was all the rage. BLM and the general idea of systemic inequity in America was a burgeoning new movement. People were waking up to the realities of corporatocracy and were ravenous for bold populism and getting money out of politics. Trump, who presented himself as a give-no-fucks, self-made billionaire cowboy not beholden to donor interests scratched that itch for the right, whereas Bernie Sanders--fearless crusader against Wall Street and billionaires, who refused to accept super PAC money, host asshole fundraisers, or even comb his hair for a photo scratched it for the left. Hillary just represented a continuation of more of the same that we'd seen for the last 20+ years in Washington.

We now have that youthful, bold populism on the left in Harris and ESPECIALLY in Walz, whereas Trump has become the tired, corporate crony whose campaign is very clearly being dictated by larger, outside interests (The Heritage Foundation, Silicon Valley, etc.). He's no longer the outsider, he's the puppet. He doesn't even have the freedom to make his own outrageous opinions known (abortion, blatant, overt racism/misogyny, etc). "MAGA" isn't a revolutionary, exciting movement anymore. He's all out of tricks. His party and his donors don't even WANT him to be "Trump" anymore. He's been neutered by his new owners, and his base can sense that. HE can sense that.

The hunger now is for joy, community, decency, and optimism. People--democrats especially--are done railing against America--they want to love their country again. Cynicism is out. American pride (not exceptionalism, but pride) is in.

People don't actually vote for policy--they vote for feeling. And they want to feel what Harris/Walz is selling.

by Anonymousreply 100August 14, 2024 9:01 PM

Iā€™d say 83% and rising

by Anonymousreply 101August 14, 2024 9:03 PM

[quote]People don't actually vote for policy--they vote for feeling.

Well, if that's true, under the current administration of which Harris is part of, polling tells us this (source: RCP averages):

Direction of country:

Right Direction: 25.1

Wrong Track: 64.9

Concerning this current Democratic administration, the "feeling" is not so great.

by Anonymousreply 102August 14, 2024 9:09 PM

To kick the tires on the Harris/Walz situation: I think Harris needs to show she can debate Trump. She still needs to convince the American people. Clear platform, support workers, the middle class. I like to see her & Walz make a solid pitch for working class people and something or anything they can do about inflation. I guess I don't see them coasting to victory but as people have said, Trump is a deeply flawed candidate. It's all doable.

The real problem is Trump doesn't concede elections. I don't think he can bring himself to concede. They tried fake electors and attacking the capitol last time. What next? The results will be questioned and lied about at minimum.

by Anonymousreply 103August 14, 2024 9:09 PM

[quote] We now have that youthful, bold populism on the left in Harris and ESPECIALLY in Walz

Well, maybe not so much the "youthful" part.

by Anonymousreply 104August 14, 2024 9:13 PM

I think Harris/Walz have their work cut out for them. She has to prove she can debate Trump as ridiculous as that is and score a few points. The have to make a case to the American people including workers, working class people. I hope to see them say something convincing about the economy. We need to hear a platform.

The problem and thing I'm worried about is Trump doesn't concede. He'd rather destroy the country than admit defeat.

by Anonymousreply 105August 14, 2024 9:14 PM

Trump is very predictable. In debate Harris needs to seem unbothered and confident and make strong hopeful ideas get across.

by Anonymousreply 106August 14, 2024 9:17 PM

I'm not sure i agree that the task of debating Trump is all that formidable for Harris. Her main job is to frame everything he says as tired, "weird," or just laughable, and he's practically making that case himself. If she shows herself halfway able to make the case for her own policies with conviction and appealā€”as she's already doing in her stump speechesā€”she'll be fine. The press will try to seize on any minor gaffe or omission in her case (not in his), but whether that will get traction in the polls is another story.

by Anonymousreply 107August 14, 2024 9:20 PM

My $.02 at this point is that he'll "concede" in saying that her inauguration will be proof the system is fecked. Every non-Republican, and many of them, will want to be done with him.

by Anonymousreply 108August 14, 2024 9:22 PM

I hope so R108. They've already tried attacking the capitol and fake electors.

by Anonymousreply 109August 14, 2024 10:46 PM

Applause for r100. And to add, Trump is now running the "Hillary" campaign playbook from 2016 - the over-confident, Establishment/insider candidate, refusing to get out and travel to key swing states since they believed their early poll results. Look how that turned out for her.

by Anonymousreply 110August 14, 2024 11:02 PM

[quote]Concerning this current Democratic administration, the "feeling" is not so great.

What you and other Republicans aren't grasping is that Democrats and Independents don't equate Kamala with "this current Democratic administration." They're smart enough to realize that VPs have virtually nothing to do with an administration's policies.

by Anonymousreply 111August 14, 2024 11:15 PM

The Democratic Convention will be here in Chicago next week. VP is gonna define herself and tell us why she is the better option. Harris must say how she will keep us safe, help us prosper and lead us into the future..... Trump was elected in 2016 cuz incumbent parties rarely win the Big Chair. He will be all negative. Harris must talk about the economy and abortion. Keep race out of it. Do not take Trump's bait.

by Anonymousreply 112August 14, 2024 11:15 PM

Why does MAGA always sound defensive and aggressive, even to interviewers from Fox, Newsmax, etc. Like, why not talk at a normal level and have a conversation with the interviewer.

by Anonymousreply 113August 14, 2024 11:23 PM

Nutjob RFK Jr promised he'd drop out and endorse Kamala if she gave him a cabinet position. She said talk to the hand.

Can't post the link here for some reason (is Muriel mad at the WaPo?), but google "Robert F. Kennedy Jr. tried to meet with Kamala Harris to discuss Cabinet job."

by Anonymousreply 114August 14, 2024 11:43 PM

I saw some of his ā€œeconomicā€ speech today in NC and he seems like a doddering old fool. Heā€™s never rebounding.

by Anonymousreply 115August 15, 2024 12:27 AM

[quote]and he seems like a doddering old fool

Surely, R115, you mean that Mr. Trump's remarks ranged widely around his main topic, leaving few of his favorite themes untouched.

by Anonymousreply 116August 15, 2024 12:52 AM

[quote]Democrats and Independents don't equate Kamala with "this current Democratic administration." They're smart enough to realize that VPs have virtually nothing to do with an administration's policies.

I don't think most Democrats are as stupid as you are.

"Susan Rice: 'Bizarre' and 'offensive' to say VP 'wasnā€™t integral architect' of Biden-Harris agenda"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 15, 2024 1:27 AM

Trumpā€™s advisers must know he will never win. But of course they will stay on the payroll and never tell him. Heā€™s not only a terrible candidate but people hate him. They canā€™t stop the massive turnout that will mobilize in November to defeat him.

by Anonymousreply 118August 15, 2024 1:31 AM

I admit I was very reluctant for Biden to drop out of the race after the debate. In part because subsequent speeches and interviews showed him in a considerable better light. But mainly because I did not expect the campaign to transition to Kamala Harris so successfully. Biden had the incumbency factor which is significant in a presidential run. But so far the Kamala campaign is running better than I thought. Keep in mind that the polls are rarely a reliable harbinger of election outcomes today.

by Anonymousreply 119August 15, 2024 1:48 AM

[quote]Heā€™s not only a terrible candidate but people hate him.

He is a terrible candidate but as far as favorability goes, Kamala isn't as loved by the public as you might think....at least as far as polling shows.

538 Favorability: Trump 43.3%. - Harris 44.2%

by Anonymousreply 120August 15, 2024 1:58 AM

I'm somewhat confident, but concerned.

by Anonymousreply 121August 15, 2024 2:02 AM

Iā€™m a lib-Fag-dem but I know 2024 is Hitler taking Germany and more.I will vote Kamala/Walz but Trump has already won.

by Anonymousreply 122August 15, 2024 2:18 AM

I think so too. Elder gay here so not so bad.

by Anonymousreply 123August 15, 2024 2:19 AM

Remember, Nikki Haley said that the party of the candidate that drops out first will win the election.

I think she's right.

by Anonymousreply 124August 15, 2024 3:17 AM

R120 That's a bit misleading. Trump's UNfavorability rating is 8.5 while Kamala's is only 3.9.

by Anonymousreply 125August 15, 2024 3:25 AM

For every 2016 flashback, I repeat that since then, 20 million baby boomers have died and 40 million young people have reached voting age. It's a very different electorate since then.

by Anonymousreply 126August 15, 2024 3:26 AM

R126, come sit with me friend.

by Anonymousreply 127August 15, 2024 3:29 AM

I want the Harris campaign to lean in on talking up big crowds. It makes him nuts and brought out his craziest and stupidest Truth Social post all week.

by Anonymousreply 128August 15, 2024 4:09 AM

R126. And the republicans have pretty much lost every national election since 2016.

by Anonymousreply 129August 15, 2024 4:31 AM

r100 is extremely astute. Even though I'm a solid Hillary supporter and will forever mourn 2016 and believe she would have been the greatest president of my lifetime (yeah, I know - MARY!) she had her progressive cred stolen by Bernie (who was supported by Putin) and was seen as "too establishment" and she did not campaign as hard as she could have - she should have listened to Bill instead of the worthless Mook. Trump was a also more than "exciting" - he was a celebrity of long standing, which counted for a lot.

by Anonymousreply 130August 15, 2024 1:07 PM

R104 "Youthful", as it pertains to politics, has nothing to do with actual age. It's the merging energies of idealism and rebellion--that is the spirit of youth. And it's exactly what the Harris/Walz ticket has masterfully crafted their entire campaign around--literally branding themselves the "Joyful Warriors".

by Anonymousreply 131August 15, 2024 1:27 PM

[quote] literally branding themselves the "Joyful Warriors".

Bitches stole my line!

by Anonymousreply 132August 15, 2024 1:57 PM

[quote]More Americans may be struggling to make ends meet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 15, 2024 1:59 PM

Nikki Haley is not someone to believe-about anything. Democrat's will again believe Trump can't possibly win and not bother to vote. Congratulations Fuhrer Trump.! First order of business-round up the fags.

by Anonymousreply 134August 15, 2024 2:29 PM

I think it's looking better for Harris every day.

And the better it looks, the deeper the hole becomes that Trump has to climb out of to win.

by Anonymousreply 135August 15, 2024 2:45 PM

This is a good summary of why voters are sick of Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 15, 2024 2:49 PM

Trumper's don't care what Dump says or does as long as he's still breathing. They plant shit like "Trump days are numbered" so Dem's get complacent-don't vote. All you Mary's believe this shit.

by Anonymousreply 137August 15, 2024 3:06 PM

There are enough Republicans who will never vote for Nikki, they do not trust her. Moreover, newly-cred'ed het hubby Tim Scott, as I understand it, hates her. She's not going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 138August 15, 2024 3:40 PM

ā€œIf Harris wins this election, the result will be a Kamala economic crash,ā€ Trump told a North Carolina crowd yesterday. ā€œA 1929-style depression!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 15, 2024 4:19 PM

r139

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 15, 2024 5:51 PM

Her campaign has hinted that she will address the role of corporate price gouging in inflation: $8 boxes of cereal, $20 fast food meals. Iā€™m quite intrigued to see how she handles this, as the old narrative, ā€œyour wages are up, you can afford it,ā€ wasnā€™t working.

The post Covid infrastructure and investment legislation could have been better planned for the inflationary consequences of putting that much money into the economy all at once, and while inflation was worldwide, it was the US where the optics of consumer pricing gave the Republicans a pretty big stick to beat Biden with. Fortunately theyā€™ve been so incompetent the damage hasnā€™t been persistent. If she can reverse Uno card inflation and immigration the way they did age and competency, then theyā€™ve got this.

Don't expect the corporates to retreat without a fight; they will squeal and sic their media lackeys on her and Walz. The battle is between Harris and ADM, Tyson, Kroger, McDonaldā€™s, Kraft Heinz, the NYT and WaPo media cunts. Trump is just their proxy.

by Anonymousreply 141August 15, 2024 6:22 PM

I don't see how this will work, but it's good politics:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142August 15, 2024 6:47 PM

There was actually a VERY comprehensive Price Gouging prevention Act introduced by Elizabeth Warren in both 2022 and 2024. As you can imagine, it's seen no movement. Sen Bob Casey also introduced a Shrinkflation Prevention Act as well (also doubtful it goes anywhere). Republicans don't actually WANT to fix anything about the economy, they just want to bitch about it.

There's definitely a way to legislate it and even prosecute it. It's just a matter of whether the Republicans will actually play ball. They love complaining about the way unfettered corporate greed fucks our economy when there's a Democrat to blame for it, but when it comes to applying a remedy that would actually put corporations to task, suddenly they're in the wind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 15, 2024 8:14 PM

Cautiously optimistic. We know Trumpā€™s voter turnout has been underestimated in two elections already. Even with the favorable polls, the race is still very close. We have to keep fighting.

by Anonymousreply 144August 15, 2024 8:38 PM

VOTERā€™S ARE NOT SICK OF TRUMP!!! He is their savior. ā€˜ā€™Saviors donā€™t come in perfect packagesā€™ā€™ say many trumpers. The US still doesnā€™t know how many haters it has AND they lie-many lie because family,job etc. He could/will win electoral vote while Harris wins popular-just like Hilary.

by Anonymousreply 145August 16, 2024 1:03 AM

Important Tea at link.

No, corporations should *not* be allowed to price-gouge on food, or any other household necessity actually. Fuck ā€˜em! Their greed is their downfall. Poor people eat like shit (partially) because the garbage food is whatā€™s cheapest. Thatā€™s fucking bullshit. I want to see our food supply rival Europe. Why NOT I say? Letā€™s elevate our quality of life while the window is open!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 16, 2024 1:35 AM

šŸ’Æ %. Even more so than Hillary, who I love, and wouldā€™ve made a wonderful president. Trump is dead meat. Dead I tell you. Kamala is getting endorsements left, right, and center, and trump is deservingly oozing KFC into his diaper.

Canā€™t wait till the election is over, and this colossal insufferable scumbag faces his remaining trials.

by Anonymousreply 147August 17, 2024 4:29 AM

The anxiety between now and November might kill me.

by Anonymousreply 148August 18, 2024 9:59 AM

Woke up with this observation: Trump and sycophants are commenting on and making fun of the way Kamala Harris laughs. Because thatā€™s pretty much all they have BUT they also ā€˜ā€™pokedā€™ā€™ fun at Hilary for the way she laughed-because thatā€™s pretty much all they had. Laugh Kamala Laugh-all the way to the White House!

by Anonymousreply 149August 18, 2024 2:10 PM

R148, I said years ago that if I have to go through another one with Trump, itā€™ll kill me. Well, it is! I donā€™t know how Iā€™ll make it.

by Anonymousreply 150August 18, 2024 4:23 PM

Trumpā€™s former supporters saw how poorly he handled COVID among other things.

He has alienated huge demographics of people (healthcare workers, people who work in education, single cat ladies, etc). I know he still has a following but I donā€™t see that being enough for him to win.

People were sick of him in 2020 and theyā€™re really sick of him now. Too much baggage, he has a weird family and JD Vance certainly isnā€™t helping.

by Anonymousreply 151August 18, 2024 4:47 PM

She wonā€™t win.

by Anonymousreply 152August 18, 2024 5:10 PM

One thing that continually baffles me about Trumpā€™s base is that they are an America-first, insular crowd, but he has done so much to put U.S. security at risk, surrounding himself with shady characters who flatter him, showing classified documents to visitors to Mar-a-Lago, business deals with Russia and Saudi Arabia that guided his foreign policy. Shouldnā€™t that be the kind of stuff that theyā€™re against?

Anyway, Iā€™m not a Harris fan but Iā€™m feeling cautiously optimistic. It seems sheā€™s being kept slightly silent, mostly letting herself be seen and not heard. There really isnā€™t any upshot to her doing more speakingā€¦sheā€™s arrogant enough that sheā€™ll put her foot in it.

by Anonymousreply 153August 18, 2024 5:40 PM

[quote] She wonā€™t win.

Ok. r152, in the spirit of classic formal argument thinking process which teaches "If you don't know your opponent's argument, then you can't know your own." I'll bite and ask, pray tell, why "She won't win"?

Well? Hmmm?

by Anonymousreply 154August 18, 2024 5:55 PM

r154 I have that poster blocked, and I only block trolls, so I'm going to say: troll.

by Anonymousreply 155August 18, 2024 6:44 PM

Jesus Christ, there can't be divergent opinions here? Someone thinks she won't win. So?

Personally I think she will.

by Anonymousreply 156August 18, 2024 7:05 PM

Anecdotal evidence, but two nearby nutcases who have been flying trump flags year round since 2016 taking them down only foe Christmas decorations have replaced them with RFK Jr signs. There is one lonely holdout on my regular route who invested in a Trump Vance flag and still has big Fuck Joe Biden flag so he's handling it well.

by Anonymousreply 157August 18, 2024 7:13 PM

If you're looking for divergent opinions, we have 900 pages of them.

Some small minded call them taking away your freedoms, but it's just a difference of opinion

by Anonymousreply 158August 18, 2024 8:38 PM

R158 What does the opinion that Harris won't win have to do with Project 2025?

by Anonymousreply 159August 18, 2024 8:46 PM

I can't wait to see how much the convention bounce helps her.

by Anonymousreply 160August 19, 2024 9:41 AM

Sometimes I believe she canā€™t win because I need to be prepared for Trump return.Iā€™m not rich like a lot of you guys who will survive no matter who is in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 161August 19, 2024 1:56 PM

I am growing more confident by the day.

by Anonymousreply 162August 20, 2024 10:11 AM

Increasing confidence in Harris can so easily lead to voter laziness-repeat of Hilary loss. ā€˜ā€™Trump canā€™t possibly winā€™ā€™

by Anonymousreply 163August 20, 2024 12:53 PM

Harris doesn't just need to win. She needs to win decisively and with a significant electoral college vote spread. In 2020 Biden got 306 and Trump got 232. That is a 74 point lead. If Harris can at least match that and perhaps better it, there will be less ability for Trump to challenge any results, and it will be much more likely that the Republican Party will finally throw Trump to the side.

by Anonymousreply 164August 21, 2024 1:43 AM

Donā€™t count your chickens bubby.

by Anonymousreply 165August 21, 2024 2:40 AM

ā€˜ā€™Repugnakinsā€™ā€™will never part with Trump.They wonā€™t have to. This joyful convention/speakers will create laziness and an assuredness of winning over Dump. ā€˜ā€™Trump canā€™t winā€™ā€™ no need to vote-we got this. 2024-Americas Last Presidential Election.

by Anonymousreply 166August 21, 2024 2:49 AM

We are the underdog ā€” understand that! There are numerous and dangerous factors as play, our system is about to be tested like never before. Mike Flynn has been riling up pods of terrorists to attack the Capitol again, they do plan to fight. I believe Biden will need to call in the National Guard early this time, and I wonā€™t be shocked if there is an assassination attempt on either Kamala or Tim. Theyā€™ve been radicalized, and Trump continues to rile them up even more. The biggest problem of course is Trump. I am praying Merchan locks him up on 9/18, heā€™s such a fucking fat loser who canā€™t stop shitting and farting. Disgusting piece of garbage.

But as I said, we are the underdog, and you need to understand that.

by Anonymousreply 167August 21, 2024 3:30 AM

You can say that there is still a lot of opposition without lowering yourself and spreading Trump-level dystopian fearmongering.

We need to fight for a hopeful future. Not idealize a doom and gloom future

by Anonymousreply 168August 21, 2024 3:40 AM

Thank you R167 this is as important as our joyful convention and needs to be echoed.

by Anonymousreply 169August 21, 2024 3:43 AM

R168 didnā€™t vote Hilary 2016- much too busy or wait-wait: I was out of the countryā€¦

by Anonymousreply 170August 21, 2024 3:46 AM

Feeling better all the time.

by Anonymousreply 171August 21, 2024 3:50 AM

That Kamala better win. I need my crazy check. How else Iā€™m gonna get my weed and my blow-go Dems. Uz jus gotz ta winā€¦

by Anonymousreply 172August 21, 2024 3:51 AM

R168, Iā€™m not fear mongering. How your emotions respond to the facts of what they are planning to do is actually not my problem, itā€™s yours, but no disrespect to you.

The best thing we can do is tell people the truth so Americans are prepared, and there are many ways to channel your energy. I am doing that by volunteering to canvas.

Yes, get high off the hope and joy, thereā€™s nothing wrong with that, we deserve it after the last ten years! But donā€™t stick your head in the sand. Fascism is here. We have to work hard to defeat them, it has to be a massive massive victory.

by Anonymousreply 173August 21, 2024 3:53 AM

And then she just flounced out of the roomā€¦

by Anonymousreply 174August 21, 2024 4:05 AM

Keeping my fingers crossed. Tightly.

by Anonymousreply 175August 21, 2024 4:32 AM

You and me both, r171

by Anonymousreply 176August 21, 2024 8:57 AM

Hey! R167! Worry Wart! ā€¦ Chill the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 177August 21, 2024 10:18 AM

Well, the oligarchs are clearly worried about her momentum:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178August 21, 2024 11:55 AM

Watch Mellon file suit against Trump for fraud and recovery of his millions if Trump loses.

Seriously, thatā€™s the kind of bizarre stuff I have no problem anticipating may happen.

by Anonymousreply 179August 21, 2024 12:05 PM

God, to be so rich you could waste a hundred million on Trump. Staggering.

by Anonymousreply 180August 21, 2024 1:06 PM

A hundred million is supposed to be a lot?

by Anonymousreply 181August 21, 2024 1:12 PM

The current polls (and GOP shenanigans) notwithstanding:

Biden won by over 8,000,000 popular votes in 2020. I just cannot see how Dump makes up for that. Where is going to find those votes? How many people who voted for him in 2020 have died? Will millions who voted for Biden in 2020 suddenly vote for Dump this time around? Add to that the momentum behind Harris's campaign, and it seems highly improbable to me that Dump wins.

by Anonymousreply 182August 21, 2024 1:15 PM

He makes up for it if he pulls some of the states Biden won. It's never, never, never about the popular vote.

That's what MO said last night. And that's why they keep saying we're the underdog. We probably are. And we better run like it.

by Anonymousreply 183August 21, 2024 2:29 PM

Among the many astonishing things about the Trump campaign is his complete lack of any sort of reaching out to any part of the electorate that didn't vote for him before. He's dug even deeper into positions that his supporters like

I can't think of a single reason why someone who didn't support Trump before, would support him now

by Anonymousreply 184August 21, 2024 8:32 PM

You can bet your last dollar that if the Democratic party were winning presidential election with Electoral College advantage and a minority of the popular vote, there would have been massive outcry and a change to how we determine election results. Democrats do not have the gumption to make any such changes.

by Anonymousreply 185August 21, 2024 9:02 PM

[quote] Among the many astonishing things about the Trump campaign is his complete lack of any sort of reaching out to any part of the electorate that didn't vote for him before. He's dug even deeper into positions that his supporters like

I donā€™t think either party has changed its views in any noticeable way from 2020. The views of the Democratic and Republican parties are what they are and with each election both sides try to get people to agree with those views. The one that gets enough people to agree and wins the Electoral College wins.

by Anonymousreply 186August 21, 2024 9:35 PM

I have faith that Kamala-Walz will win most of the blue wall states and some states in the sun belt. No one can get complacent but she is trending up and Trump is completely falling apart. Luckily for us, Trump and Vance are awful candidates.

by Anonymousreply 187August 21, 2024 10:35 PM

I get some folks not liking or wanting to vote for Democrats. But man, you must really want to wallow in shit if youā€™re voting for Trump and the GOPee. They have zero to offer except the promise that theyā€™ll harm the people their voters love to hate (plus the fresh hell Project 25). What an awful way to look at this country and the world.

by Anonymousreply 188August 21, 2024 10:54 PM

If Dump wins, heā€™s going to play golf, eat steak with ketchup and sniff around for new pussy.

Heā€™s gonna leave governing to the likes of Vance and the idiots that proposed Project 2025.

He will zero fucks for any American and will look to just enrich his own pocket and goof off 24/7

by Anonymousreply 189August 21, 2024 11:00 PM

[quote]I donā€™t think either party has changed its views in any noticeable way from 2020. The views of the Democratic and Republican parties are what they are and with each election both sides try to get people to agree with those views.

Overturning Roe v. Wade and the ensuant shenanigans in red states shifted things. In practice, the GOP changed its views on abortion -- they've gotten more extreme, and state legislatures have demonstrated the willingness to implement draconian bans.

That is a huge variable in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 190August 21, 2024 11:15 PM

R190 Getting SCOTUS to kill Roe v Wade decision was a Republican wedge issue for over 40 years. Neither the Christians or the conservatives cared or had an opinion on the issue until the Heritage Foundation decided they want to make it a moral and political issue for their conservative platform. Now that they managed to install justices that lied about their views on Roe v Wade during their congressional hearings, they were willing to overturn 50 years of a woman's right to choose. But the backlash has been massive and a more significant blow back than they ever anticipated. They are basically the dog that finally caught the bus and wish it were still an pending issue.

by Anonymousreply 191August 21, 2024 11:23 PM

Kamala is building a winning coalition of labor, working class, middle class, youth, women and minorities. Plus college educated, seniors and independents.

Trump seems to only going for MAGA, billionaires and gamer bros.

by Anonymousreply 192August 21, 2024 11:23 PM

All presidents are shit but we need to remain a democracy-Go Kamala!

by Anonymousreply 193August 22, 2024 2:15 AM

Washington Post: "Kamala Harris reports massively outraising Trump in July." [Muriel is no longer allowing Washington Post links.]

Anyway, this HAS to be good news for Democrats. People who are inclined to donate must surely be inclined to show up at the polls, no?

by Anonymousreply 194August 22, 2024 12:56 PM

Post-convention, how are we feeling?

by Anonymousreply 195August 23, 2024 8:26 AM

Amazing convention and her acceptance speech was one for the ages. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 196August 23, 2024 10:56 AM

It's sickening that we needed to assemble the amount of political talent, facts and hoopla over the last 4 days to persuade Americans to reject the small, dangerous, pitiful ignorant person that is Trump.

by Anonymousreply 197August 23, 2024 11:11 AM

In contrast to Biden, she has a good chance. Trump lost his outsider charm and entertainment value; this will cost him votes. President Harris it will be. Not the worst. Hey, you survived two Bushes!

by Anonymousreply 198August 23, 2024 12:06 PM

I think Trump will lose in a blowout and then he'll tweet out that he's the real commander in chief and command the military and all domestic militias to start a civil war. 3 percenters and oath keepers and various groups like that will start attacking government facilities. I don't think the military will have many issues shutting down its own traitors, and our militias are pathetic compared to the IRA so I don't think it would be nearly like the troubles either. It will be an ugly time, but hopefully a reckoning to rid ourselves of these terrorists once and for all. I could also see him instead demanding that a coalition of states secede instead of going the military coup route.

by Anonymousreply 199August 23, 2024 12:09 PM

I'm feeling that even if the Democrats lose (and clearly at this point they have an excellent chance at winning), they've suddenly emerged as a broad, powerful pro-democracy coalition that at the very least will be a better bulwark against Trump and Project 2025 than we had in 2016 and the years since. It will be horrible, but the resistance will continue.

by Anonymousreply 200August 23, 2024 12:12 PM

The Democrats didn't really talk about money. Money. Money, money, money is what Americans care about. How you gonna put more of it in my pocket?.... the Karen's of suburban America will vote for Harris cuz of Abortion. And like Obama said, Trump's act has gotten stale. I'm 85% certain Harris will win.

by Anonymousreply 201August 23, 2024 1:01 PM

They might not have used the word "money" that often, R201, but they definitely talked non-stop about putting money back in the hands of regular peopleā€”shifting the tax burden off the middle and working classes, creating jobs, creating and "opportunity economy," etc.

by Anonymousreply 202August 23, 2024 1:04 PM

[quote]the Karen's of suburban America

The Karen's what, dear?

by Anonymousreply 203August 23, 2024 1:05 PM

I'm like R201. I think the focus needs to be on abortion, voting rights and Project 2025, along with a good dose of optimism. They need answers on the Court but not a ton of talk on it, because that could sound way too radical. They do need better answers on the economy. That's established. They are very fortunate inflation is falling and the Fed will start cutting. I don't think the economic management questions are insurmountable, but it is a vulnerability, rightly or wrong. Perception is everything. Focus on the tax cuts, clearly messaging Trump's billionaire tax cuts are not going to be renewed, that should do it. What they need is ideas that force the Republicans on the defensive.

The contrast between Harris and Trump is stark, Trump will continue to mentally and emotionally implode - imagine his sentencing - and if they can continue to move the needle, then its get out the vote. It's all doable, I think more likely than not, but it cannot be taken for granted, either.

by Anonymousreply 204August 23, 2024 1:06 PM

Sorry, R203. My phone screen is broken and didn't catch that apostrophe.

by Anonymousreply 205August 23, 2024 1:19 PM

You are forgiven, r205.

by Anonymousreply 206August 23, 2024 1:20 PM

Tim is evil and Kammie is a drunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207August 23, 2024 1:24 PM

[quote] They are very fortunate inflation is falling

"Fortune" had little to do with it; their own *Democratic policies* have given the American economy a softer landing than most other countries have had.

by Anonymousreply 208August 23, 2024 1:25 PM

r207 posting from right-wing Twitter ... TOTALLY credible.

by Anonymousreply 209August 23, 2024 1:26 PM

If Kamala and the Dems win this election (I can't bring myself to say "when" just yet) one thing that will be so delicious it just HAS to be fattening is the sight of Chief Justice Roberts, an author of the infamous immunity case that sided with Trump, swearing her in, knowing now that she is the one who gets to take that broadened immunity out for s spin!

by Anonymousreply 210August 23, 2024 1:26 PM

This is (so sadly!) a very difficult uphill battle for Republicans. They gutted their party because they thought Trump could substitute for a political machine, which was true only one time. They canā€™t deliver a unified message because they only agree on supporting a trainwreck candidacy. The prospect of post-Trump politics should be thrilling to Republicans, but it would only thrill the ones who are not running anything.

by Anonymousreply 211August 23, 2024 1:32 PM

We all watched January 6th. It can't be overstated the dangerousness of Trump and his followers.

That said, on my part, and counterintuitively, if Trump loses in November, especially by a large voter turnout, I'm not persuaded that the Flying Monkeys of MAGA will act up again.

I think it's more likely they'll go out with a whimper, not a bang.

As I've pointed out before, for all that criticism that Merrick Garland has coming, the DOJ has prosecuted many of the insurrectionists and they're in federal prison right now.

I think most of the die-hard MAGA crowd will stick to their bitching about a "rigged" election and let it go at that.

Oh, to be sure, not that they don't nurse daydreams of a Civil War. They do. and yes, they have guns. But from my view of them by watching Trump rallies, they're old, they're out-of-shape, and whatever younger adults they have aren't too keen on federal charges.

Remember that scene in "The Life of Brian"? That's the MAGA crowd after Trump loses. Whining and talking a game of popular uprising while eating popcorn and watching NASCAR.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212August 23, 2024 1:56 PM

Watch-Wait-Vote. Not much else I can do.

by Anonymousreply 213August 23, 2024 2:04 PM

Keep an eye on the Republicans' ground game. Right now I'm seeing reports that they're outnumbered by Democratic offices in the swing states. If that's true, the Democrats have an advantage not clearly reflected in the polls. Think of 2008.

by Anonymousreply 214August 23, 2024 2:08 PM

r214, You're right and Trump has to be causing his operatives to tear their hair out.

I watched his NC rally the other day. I nearly fell out of my chair when he stated (paraphrase): We don't need a ground game to get out the voters. They're already there. We need to stop Nov. 5th cheaters.

Besides just being plan wrong about not gearing up a ground game, the Old Con Man Trump is continuing to condition his voters to believe the Democrats cheated.

That "cheating Dems" thing is diabolical in its purpose.

In addition to undermining and slurring honest poll workers, it also allows him to avoid acknowledging a loss, at thing he'd do when I can take a running start, flap my arms and fly over Lake Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 215August 23, 2024 2:20 PM

After watching the DNC convention coverage Wednesday and Thursday, I was optimistic about the future of the United States.

But then, reality bitched slapped me in the face: there are still approximately 80 million Americans who think Donald Trump is the second coming of Christ.

by Anonymousreply 216August 23, 2024 2:24 PM

R207= the deranged outburst of a sad and scared loser, in steady decline.

Canā€™t wait to stick my fork in you on November 5, because youā€™re more than cooked. Youā€™re overdone.

by Anonymousreply 217August 23, 2024 2:34 PM

According to another DLer, there isn't money for a ground game because donations to his campaign are now grounded in his attorney's pockets and Trump family bank accounts.

by Anonymousreply 218August 23, 2024 2:34 PM

Yes, R215, Trump keeps betraying a strategy of losing the popular vote and then either winning the electoral college (unlikely at this moment, given Harris's momentum in the swing states) or tying with her and going to the House or the Supreme Court (Ć  la 2000). An iffy strategy and one that shows the Republicans' contempt for government by the people. We need to swamp them on election day.

by Anonymousreply 219August 23, 2024 2:36 PM

R216-itā€™s so true. Convention was on message but basically a pep rally which can lead to complacency. Iā€™m so worried. Dems are busy people and even mail in voting can be a hassle for parents working two-three jobs/school etc.

by Anonymousreply 220August 23, 2024 2:39 PM

How did R207 get in here?

by Anonymousreply 221August 23, 2024 2:40 PM

Something I never see addressed is how can he even qualify for a security clearance now? An insurrectionist and a felon? And whatever his sentence is on Sep. 18...no, he probably won't get prison or house arrest (though he should), but he won't get a slap on the wrist, either. If he is given probation, how the hell would that work? A president that can't go anywhere without permission from the judge? Would he have to wear an ankle monitor?

by Anonymousreply 222August 23, 2024 2:55 PM

Itā€™s still an 50/50 election. Also the Senate is set up so Dems are sure to lose control unless Harris wins big. Weā€™ll see if Trump continues to self destruct.

by Anonymousreply 223August 23, 2024 2:58 PM

Will be allowed to vote in Florida, a state that disenfranchises convicted felons?

by Anonymousreply 224August 23, 2024 3:04 PM

I am very confident that Harris will win the popular vote -- even more so after the flawless convention. But the Electoral College is all that matters, and as of today, it's a dead heat. Pennsylvania is the most pivotal state. Whoever wins it will almost certainly win the election. As of today, Pennsylvania is a tossup. Hopefully, Harris will get a post-convention bounce over the next week. But that bounce could fade. Harris has the momentum, but this will be a very tight race.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225August 23, 2024 3:16 PM

We can talk til weā€™re blue in the face about the momentum. But the smart strategy stays in the underdog mindset. Do not put into the cultural water that Dems ā€œgot thisā€ because I promise you, they donā€™t ā€œgot thisā€. The Rethugs are going to truly fight the certification, which is an act of war as far as Iā€™m concerned. Even if her lead is 10+, you cannot count on those voters showing up. You donā€™t smile before the election, you smile the day after.

The *only* hope of a semi-peaceful outcome is to overwhelm them at the ballot box. Yes, Dems have teams of lawyers preparing briefs right now, and yes, I *think* our judges will uphold the results again. But the margin must be overwhelming. And yes, they are going to encourage violence and renegade crazies too, the full Monty is coming. We are about to finish the Civil War once and for all, and Kamala is doing all that a leader can do to keep it peaceful.

We do have the right momentum. Her speech was without a doubt the greatest political speech of my life, and it may go down as the greatest speech in American history ā€” it was radical, visionary, strong, and filled with (healthy) righteous anger. But we do all need to go work for this. If you donā€™t live near a swing state, then you can do calls and postcards. We really need to get volunteers working on Montana because John Tester currently is about to lose that seat, his seat is absolutely critical! I live in Chicago, Iā€™m going to canvas with a friend in WI.

I would like to see a huge push in GA and NC, they are within reach, as are AZ, NV. PA and MI are the motherlode. PA is the key, for sure. So pick a state, pick a candidate you care about, and get to work. As Tim says, weā€™ll sleep when weā€™re dead!!!! I love you all. America is not dead, we were just asleep for too long. Kamala woke us up.

by Anonymousreply 226August 23, 2024 3:18 PM

Hoping that after nearly 4 years, the FBI has been closely monitoring the big MAGAt crazies still out there who could do some harm

by Anonymousreply 227August 23, 2024 3:25 PM

Oh, aintcha heard, R222? Trump has immunity for any lawbreaking he did as part of his official duties (btw I'll decide what's official and what's not).

by Anonymousreply 228August 23, 2024 3:40 PM

Were we asleep when Biden won in 2020? Or Dems won House? . So much hysteria itā€™s as if Dems havenā€™t controlled executive branch the past 4 years. I get it, no one wants to see Trump back. But stillā€¦

by Anonymousreply 229August 23, 2024 3:44 PM

But still what MAGAt? r229 Trump deserves a second chance? Project 2025 has some good points? They aren't as bad as they seem?

by Anonymousreply 230August 23, 2024 4:10 PM

Was about to post that I wholeheartedly agree with Della at r197 and r212, but then I agree with everything she's posted in this thread so we'll leave it at that. I also like what r225 /r226 put down: we CANNOT TAKE OUR FOOT OFF THE GAS PEDAL. Not for an instant, not until well after Election Day.

It's all about those 6 swing states, but especially WI, MI and PA. PA is KEY here. It's a must win. Yes, if Harris gets NC or GA and AZ it might not be needed, but we can't risk it. Biden's Blue Wall must hold, the work has to continue until Election Day and probably beyond that.

by Anonymousreply 231August 23, 2024 4:40 PM

I think we have a fantastic ticket but I remain skeptical that the American public will do the right things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232August 23, 2024 4:41 PM

Great article at the link at r232, thanks for sharing. We need to remain optimistic and enthusiastic, but committed as hell and working full stop right up until Election Day. The polls aren't necessarily useful here.

by Anonymousreply 233August 23, 2024 4:49 PM

R222 May I? "Would he have to wear a cankle monitor?"

by Anonymousreply 234August 23, 2024 5:25 PM

[quote]Also the Senate is set up so Dems are sure to lose control unless Harris wins big

I really wish we could get a Howard Dean 50 state strategy going. Is there even a plan as to how to win the House and Senate at this point?

So many democrats are laser focused on Trump and not focusing on the entire Republican party that's been gutting our country for forty-four years and who stood by and allowed Trump to do whatever he wanted. This isn't the problem of one person, this is the problem of a political party that got crazy enough where this person was considered a viable candidate.

by Anonymousreply 235August 23, 2024 5:37 PM

[quote]So many democrats are laser focused on Trump

To quote one of my favorite films: "All the time you spend trying to get back what's been took from you, more is going out the door. After a while you just have to try to get a tourniquet on it."

We need to stop the immediately threat. When we have a tourniquet on it, we can deal with the GOP at large.

by Anonymousreply 236August 23, 2024 8:23 PM

[quote]We need to stop the immediately threat. When we have a tourniquet on it, we can deal with the GOP at large.

Which is what we did in 2020.

The Republican party is the problem.

by Anonymousreply 237August 23, 2024 9:48 PM

The appropriate phrase is cutting off the head of the snake first.

This idiom is used in a battle or military application in which you remove the most dangerous opponent or the leader first, so that the other enemies will be easier to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 238August 23, 2024 10:09 PM

Obviously 2020 did not stop Trump

by Anonymousreply 239August 23, 2024 10:24 PM

[quote]We need to stop the immediately threat.

Oh dear, myself.

[quote]Obviously 2020 did not stop Trump

If he loses in November, the GOP will dump him.

by Anonymousreply 240August 23, 2024 10:28 PM

And having Harris in office with a Republican led Congress and/or Senate would accomplish what exactly?

Not everyone is privileged enough to simply want Trump out. There are real problems people are facing, and with democratic majorities in both houses, we could get things accomplished. Balancing our Supreme court for starters. Implementing a national livable minimum wage. Taking on price gouging. Student loan forgiveness, medical debt forgiveness etc.

Otherwise, we're back in the same situation we were with Biden, and a Republican majority that stonewalled him every chance they could get. Only this time you don't have someone with Biden's experience working across the aisle.

by Anonymousreply 241August 23, 2024 10:35 PM

Doesnā€™t adding RFKrazy to the Trump ticket just mean now they have three white weirdos on their campaign? Seems like they want to lose.

by Anonymousreply 242August 24, 2024 12:19 AM

I don't think it's going to be the great boon MAGATs seem to think it is r242

by Anonymousreply 243August 24, 2024 10:29 AM

White and male win elections. We had one fluke. A woman has never been tested.

by Anonymousreply 244August 24, 2024 10:50 AM

A woman won the popular vote in 2016, and lost the electoral college by a hair's breadth in just three states. Misogyny could have played a part in her loss, but only among other factorsā€”it's not the decisive factor some think. As for "white," a black man won comfortably in 2008 and 2012ā€”not a "fluke."

by Anonymousreply 245August 24, 2024 11:03 AM

Comey was the primary reason for her losing the election in 2016. The announcement of a reopening of the FBI investigation made it sound ominous to enough likely voters to stay home. The other was that she did not campaign enough in the swing states.

by Anonymousreply 246August 24, 2024 4:05 PM

[quote]Comey was the primary reason for her losing the election in 2016.

Her personality may have had something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 247August 24, 2024 4:43 PM

Her big lead in the polls closed drastically in the last 10 days leading to the election. Comey made his announcement 11 days before election day.

by Anonymousreply 248August 24, 2024 9:11 PM

[quote] A woman won the popular vote in 2016

And lost the presidency. What is your point? She won in places like California. Thatā€™s hardly a representation of America. She lost bigly against a buffoon because he had a dick. America will never ever vote for a black woman. You were warned.

by Anonymousreply 249August 24, 2024 9:29 PM

[quote] What is your point?

Apparently you didn't read past my opening words. She lost the electoral college by a hair's breadth in just three states. TX, FL, and WY don't represent "America" any more than CA, NY, or VA doā€”but apparently your "America" means a minority of voters, and your idea of "bigly" is actually "barely." You are confused.

by Anonymousreply 250August 24, 2024 9:44 PM

Girls Girls Girls, you're both stupid cunts quoting statistics from an US electorate makeup from 8 years ago that doesn't exist anymore.

People move to different states. A lot of old people have died and a lot of young people can now vote.

by Anonymousreply 251August 24, 2024 10:49 PM

Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

by Anonymousreply 252August 24, 2024 11:14 PM

Trump seems to be back on the campaign trail, worried about the swing states: rallies in WI and PA on Aug. 29 and 30, while Vance has one in MI on the 27th. Apparently they'll be indoors, so the campaign must have gotten some big money.

by Anonymousreply 253August 24, 2024 11:38 PM

He's worn out his welcome in American political life.

by Anonymousreply 254August 27, 2024 10:41 AM

[quote] Trump seems to be back on the campaign trail, worried about the swing states: rallies in WI and PA on Aug. 29 and 30, while Vance has one in MI on the 27th.

ā€œworried about the swing statesā€? The whole election will be decided by the swing states and thatā€™s where the candidates will be until November. Itā€™s incredible that someone didnā€™t know that.

by Anonymousreply 255August 27, 2024 5:10 PM

The ā€˜ā€™ IFā€™sā€™ā€™ keep me up at night. I love Kamala. I just fear the mid-America fence sitters wonā€™t go for dem-female-of color. Kill me now.

by Anonymousreply 256August 27, 2024 5:11 PM

Democratā€™s kidding themselves. Trump sycophants will never let him go-like blood sucking ticks. I will never fully understand why. Iā€™m one gay brother with 6 straight sibling's all who have never voted Trump-they hate his orange guts.

by Anonymousreply 257August 27, 2024 5:19 PM

If thereā€™s anyone besides trump that should die in an epic grease fire, itā€™s that fucking scumbag maggot, James Comey. I will hate him forever for his no doubt calculated motive to bury Hillary, and sway voters. Clearly election interference

by Anonymousreply 258August 27, 2024 6:17 PM

Learning that young people (18-30) get news from apps like Tic-Toc I feel we are doomed. Apps easily manipulated/inaccuracies unchecked.I give up. Oy- take me to the portable Trump Crematory on wheels.

by Anonymousreply 259August 28, 2024 4:52 AM

All he does is shit and grift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260August 28, 2024 8:29 AM

One thing that you do not hear from Harris or Democratic campaign folks is over-confidence. They realize itā€™s going to be close and that GOTV is going to be crucial. The results of 2016 are very much on their minds.

I have also read that the Democrats have substantially better organizations in the seven swing states ā€” AZ, NV, MI, WI, PA, NC and GA. The election is going to come down to those seven, including possibly NE-02 as well.

by Anonymousreply 261August 28, 2024 8:51 AM

I *did* know that, R255.

by Anonymousreply 262August 28, 2024 12:25 PM

The new voter registration data, where available, favor Harris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263August 28, 2024 1:25 PM

Kamala is only beating Trump by 1% now in the polls coming out. Her collapse is complete.

by Anonymousreply 264August 28, 2024 8:24 PM

RFK helping Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265August 28, 2024 8:25 PM

The fact that the Democrat isnā€™t beating a convicted felon by double digits is really bad.

by Anonymousreply 266August 28, 2024 8:26 PM

[quote] Learning that young people (18-30) get news from apps like Tic-Toc I feel we are doomed.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 267August 28, 2024 8:27 PM

My confidence level changes on a dime. I'm currently not optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 268August 28, 2024 8:32 PM

538 August 28th:

"Who Is Favored To Win The 2024 Presidential Election?"

"In our simulations of the 2024 presidential election, Harris wins 59 times out of 100"

"Trump wins 41 times out of 100."

by Anonymousreply 269August 28, 2024 8:52 PM

This thread has, predictably, become a troll magnet.

by Anonymousreply 270August 28, 2024 9:10 PM

What the hell is that pollster at r265? It has Harris over Trump in WI by 14 pts and over him in MA by 21 pts! And Trump besting Harris in GA by 20 pts. This is not accurate at all.

by Anonymousreply 271August 28, 2024 9:52 PM

#% There oughta be a spray. Troll-Awayā„¢

by Anonymousreply 272August 28, 2024 9:58 PM

[quote] What the hell is that pollster at [R265]? It has Harris over Trump in WI by 14 pts and over him in MA by 21 pts! And Trump besting Harris in GA by 20 pts. This is not accurate at all.

Polymarket is a prediction market. Those are betting odds, not polls.

by Anonymousreply 273August 28, 2024 10:01 PM

RealClear averages betting odds.

Harris is ahead. But not by much:

Trump 48.8 %

Harris 49.8 %

by Anonymousreply 274August 28, 2024 10:17 PM

WHERE THE HELL IS POLL TROLL EA?

by Anonymousreply 275August 28, 2024 10:21 PM

R275 Here's the poll thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276August 28, 2024 11:09 PM

But PollTroll is MIA, r276

by Anonymousreply 277August 28, 2024 11:12 PM

I need Xanax until the election.

by Anonymousreply 278August 31, 2024 10:24 AM

I worry that some stupid comment or event could change the election at the last minute. A football star dies of a TMI and the left comes out against football and Walz has to make Sophie's Choice, fball or fwords? An illegal alien rapes a pretty white girl, oh nos. Any weird fucking thing can happen.

by Anonymousreply 279September 1, 2024 7:22 PM

[quote]An illegal alien rapes a pretty white girl, oh nos.

Already happening.

by Anonymousreply 280September 1, 2024 7:26 PM

[quote] An illegal alien rapes a pretty white girl, oh nos.

I'm in Pennsylvania, and these kinds of ads are already running during every commercial break on TV. They show a bunch of illegal immigrants who've committed violent crimes, describing the crimes in graphic detail, and then the ad ends with the narrator saying "The victims' blood is on Kamala Harris' hands." The GOP will try to blame Harris for every crime ever committed by an illegal immigrant. Unfortunately, right now the Trump ads seem to greatly outnumber the Harris ads.

by Anonymousreply 281September 1, 2024 7:44 PM

What about all the people who died of Covid thanks to Dump? The dozens of Samoans who died of measles thanks to RFK Jr's antivax nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 282September 1, 2024 7:56 PM

Trumperā€™s donā€™t care about the truth-thatā€™s why their Trumperā€™s

by Anonymousreply 283September 2, 2024 12:36 AM

Someone posted in another thread that if heaven forbid Trump gets elected, heā€™ll be assassinated shortly after. I believe that. I believe someone will step up to the plate, and go full metal jacket.

by Anonymousreply 284September 4, 2024 11:26 AM

With Pennsylvania very much at risk, according to Democratic operatives on the ground, it's hard to muster a great deal of confidence in Harris's chances. Yes, she can make up the loss of Pennsylvania elsewhere, but it becomes a steeper hill to climb.

by Anonymousreply 285September 4, 2024 11:58 AM

I don't think he'll be assassinated. I think he'll probably peter out and keel over before his term finishes, leaving us with Vance to oversee the collapsing economy and disappearing foreign policy.

by Anonymousreply 286September 4, 2024 12:43 PM

I truly doubt he'll be reelected, r284, so it's a moot point.

by Anonymousreply 287September 4, 2024 1:33 PM

Thanks for your election prediction, and opinion R287, but itā€™s a moot point because, well, itā€™s YOUR OPINION.

by Anonymousreply 288September 4, 2024 1:41 PM

[quote]With Pennsylvania very much at risk, according to Democratic operatives on the ground, it's hard to muster a great deal of confidence in Harris's chances.

Source?

by Anonymousreply 289September 4, 2024 1:42 PM

[QUOTE] With Pennsylvania very much at risk, according to Democratic operatives on the ground, it's hard to muster a great deal of confidence in Harris's chances.

Oh, is that why they are currently tied there?

by Anonymousreply 290September 4, 2024 2:16 PM

Has the Pennsylvania lawn sign troll returned?

by Anonymousreply 291September 4, 2024 2:28 PM

R284- If that ā€˜ā€™heaven forbadeā€™ā€™ win happens I believe his security will be unprecedented possibly an updated version of ā€˜ā€™pope mobileā€™ā€™?-bitch will live forever.

by Anonymousreply 292September 4, 2024 2:33 PM

We know from ā€˜16 & ā€˜20, that a ā€œtieā€ in Pennsylvania is not cause for any great optimism.

by Anonymousreply 293September 4, 2024 3:03 PM

While RCP shows Kamala leading in the polls, even in the swing states, Trump is now leading in the betting average.

And Nate Silver also shows Harris leading in polls, but has Trump with a lead in the chances of winning.

by Anonymousreply 294September 4, 2024 3:07 PM

The polling - at least at this point - was far off in the Blue Wall states, but not, interestingly, the Sun Belt states.

by Anonymousreply 295September 4, 2024 3:18 PM

Like some kind of bad horse race, thereā€™s no telling now. Donald had his glory moment with the assassination attempt and Kamala had hers with her excellent DNC speech. Outside of divisive rhetoric theyā€™ll shout until Nov. 5, Iā€™m going to call it neck and neck. ā€œBrat summerā€ is over and that also means Kamala is probably losing steam from her younger supporters. They think she already won and donā€™t feel the need to vote as strongly. That could very well destabilize her entire platform. She needs both gen Z and old people of color to vote for her. Along with Trump train switchovers that like Walz for his gun rights advocacy.

Neck and neck isnā€™t a good look for this country. It shows nobody agrees on anything, that we are certainly a nation divided. Things have to change in our political landscape. Eliminating the electoral college would be an excellent start. Our voices are not heard in general elections, as much as the media on both parties claims we are. Itā€™s a psyop to give people the illusion of democracy and choice. We pretty much donā€™t.

by Anonymousreply 296September 4, 2024 3:28 PM

Democracy Doomed.

by Anonymousreply 297September 4, 2024 3:34 PM

Cautiously optimistic. I think she will win the popular vote, hands down. But with this electoral college bullshit, we are still at risk for trump's dictatorship. And R governors and senators are already pledging to ensure "election integrity" - meaning they will do their best to make sure "those people'" don't get their legitimate votes counted. Dems need to get out and vote in record numbers to be sure even the sleaziest Rs cannot rig this election.

by Anonymousreply 298September 4, 2024 3:43 PM

Lots of weird claims made in your post, R296. Not quite sure what youā€™re doing there. You think that because summer is over, Kamalaā€™s new younger fans are done? What evidence do you have of that? And please provide links.

by Anonymousreply 299September 4, 2024 4:10 PM

Blocking r296 and their constant "both sides are bad" long posts is the best thing to do

by Anonymousreply 300September 4, 2024 4:19 PM

Great post R296

by Anonymousreply 301September 4, 2024 4:23 PM

R301 is one of R296ā€™s sock puppets.

by Anonymousreply 302September 4, 2024 5:01 PM

R302 = Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 303September 4, 2024 5:16 PM

R303, if youā€™re the same person saying that because summer is over, young people have checked out of the election, then you are the idiot, dear.

by Anonymousreply 304September 4, 2024 5:40 PM

R304 This is a discussion forum. We're all giving our opinions. We're all speculating.

The poster at R296 wrote "Iā€™m going to call it neck and neck. ā€œBrat summerā€ is over and that also means Kamala is probably losing steam from her younger supporters."

Not the use of the word "probably" i.e. "you think that it is likely to be the case, although you are not sure."

He is stating his opinion. He is SPECULATING. And I agree with him. It is a perfectly reasonable point of view.

FYI: Traditionally the 18-24 year old demographic is the one LEAST likely to vote.

TikTok memes are all well and good, but maintaining that enthusiasm and getting them out to the voting booth, will be a challenge.

That you are so TRIGGERED, dear delicate one, by people you don't agree with, does indeed show that you are, as I posted at R303, an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 305September 4, 2024 6:00 PM

^ should read: "Note the use of the word..."

by Anonymousreply 306September 4, 2024 6:02 PM

Please don't speak of yourself in third person r305

It's another sign that you're not well

by Anonymousreply 307September 4, 2024 6:21 PM

If Kamala wins, she'd better be wearing double Depends confronting Putin or the head of China. She'll shit in her pants suit.

by Anonymousreply 308September 4, 2024 6:26 PM

You must be thinking of Trump, R307/Troll. Heā€™s the one with the documented history of incontinence issues.

by Anonymousreply 309September 4, 2024 6:30 PM

r308 sound lovely.

by Anonymousreply 310September 4, 2024 7:37 PM

She's been VP for 4 years, R308, and in politics for 24+ years. You think she hasn't met any world leaders yet?

by Anonymousreply 311September 4, 2024 7:40 PM

Hey R296! Yeah, YOU! Shut the fuck up with your both sides shit, and edit your goddamn posts.

by Anonymousreply 312September 4, 2024 8:21 PM

R309, someone who expresses an opinion other than yours doesn't make them a Troll. I've been Democrat since I could vote in 1960. Wish we had someone else to vote for.

by Anonymousreply 313September 4, 2024 10:27 PM

Kamala doing well keeps calm the extreme lunatics of DL who are obsessed with politics, so that's a good thing. Unfortunately, they'll be psychopathic if she starts to dip. A healthier outlook would be that if she doesn't win, then it wasn't meant to be. Either way, we're not going to know until at least election day.

by Anonymousreply 314September 5, 2024 12:50 AM

R313. Things have changed since 1960. Lots of the womenfolk do all kinds of man things now. I know she will never have the fortitude of Trump or Biden, but don't you think we can give her a chance?

by Anonymousreply 315September 5, 2024 1:14 AM

So R313 is at least 85 years old.

by Anonymousreply 316September 5, 2024 8:27 PM

My confidence has only grown since the Trump cemetery fiasco and Judge Merchan and Judge Chutkan doing their jobs, with no more delays.

by Anonymousreply 317September 6, 2024 1:54 AM

What's all this stupid shit about Kamala being intimidated by Putin and China?

Hell, if anything, they'd be intimidated by her. And with good reason. They know they won't be able to lead her around by the nose like they did with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 318September 6, 2024 2:03 AM

R318

"Asked about the upcoming U.S. election, Putin said it was ultimately ā€œthe choice of the American peopleā€ but claimed that Russia backed Harris, the Democratic nominee." - NBC News September 5th 2024

by Anonymousreply 319September 6, 2024 2:16 AM

Even Putin has fallen in love with Kamala. She's the biggest star of the summer.

by Anonymousreply 320September 6, 2024 3:10 AM

Fortunately for us, summer is almost over.

by Anonymousreply 321September 6, 2024 3:15 AM

R315. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. Former credentials don't matter. Putin wants her to win, so he will have control in any negotiations, as will the Chinese government.

by Anonymousreply 322September 7, 2024 10:25 PM

Let's all give R322 our best Lucille Bluth eyeroll.

by Anonymousreply 323September 7, 2024 10:31 PM

The puppet slinking in the presence of his master.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324September 7, 2024 11:02 PM

[quote]Putin wants her to win, so he will have control in any negotiations, as will the Chinese government.

Russia is laughing at you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325September 7, 2024 11:08 PM

Harris will mop the floor with Putin, she is not afraid of him and not in his pocket like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 326September 7, 2024 11:38 PM

Kamala better wear a double set of Depends when Putin controls the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 327September 7, 2024 11:54 PM

[quote] "Asked about the upcoming U.S. election, Putin said it was ultimately ā€œthe choice of the American peopleā€ but claimed that Russia backed Harris, the Democratic nominee." - NBC News September 5th 2024

And I completely take that at face value.

by Anonymousreply 328September 7, 2024 11:58 PM

Kamala greets Pennsylvania voters in Pittsburgh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329September 8, 2024 12:49 AM

Exchange of the Day:

CNN interviewed two voters in Pennsylvania:

REPORTER: Who will you vote for?

VOTER: Kamala Harris.

REPORTER: Were you Democrats before?

VOTER: Iā€™m a Republican.

REPORTER: Why are you voting the other way?

VOTER: Because she behaves more like a human.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330September 8, 2024 12:51 AM

In negotiations, each party has to offer something the other party wants.

Putin and Russia don't have anything that the US wants or needs, so why would Kamala be negotiating with them?

by Anonymousreply 331September 8, 2024 1:39 AM

[quote]Kamala better wear a double set of Depends when Putin controls the conversation.

Puh-lease. He's a fucking midge. I shit people bigger than him.

by Anonymousreply 332September 8, 2024 2:40 AM

That Bobby Casey, who's easily dispatched his opponents in his each of his three Senate campaigns, is facing such a close reelection battle, tells us all we need to now know about how difficult the Pennsylvania terrain is for Harris.

So no, my confidence of Harris winning is not great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333September 8, 2024 8:48 AM

If Biden won Pennsylvania so can Harris. I donā€™t buy it that they are a Trump state and want him to win.

by Anonymousreply 334September 8, 2024 2:43 PM

[quote] If Biden won Pennsylvania so can Harris. I donā€™t buy it that they are a Trump state and want him to win.

Biden has strengths, though, where Harris does not, R334. Most particularly among older & non-educated whites who are a large component of the Pennsylvania electorate. The central part of Pennsylvania is said to be more like Alabama in its voting patterns. And let's not forget Pennsylvania WAS a Trump state in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 335September 8, 2024 2:57 PM

Yeah, comparing Biden in 2020 to Kamala is quite absurd. We wanted Joe to run in 2020 to rescue us from candidates like Kamala and Bernie who we knew couldnā€™t win states such as Pennsylvania with their ultra liberal positions. Now not only is Kamala being haunted by those positions, sheā€™s now being weighted down by an unpopular incumbency. The poll reflects that Trump is seen as the change candidate.

by Anonymousreply 336September 8, 2024 3:03 PM

Pennsylvania also has Philadelphia with a population of 1,603,797 in the 2020 census. If turnout is massive Kamala will win.

by Anonymousreply 337September 8, 2024 3:06 PM

Adding to my growing despair, the latest NYT/Siena College poll has Trump ahead 48% to 47% among likely voters. Clearly, not where we need to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338September 8, 2024 3:08 PM

Why donā€™t you make a donation instead of sitting in your ā€œgrowing despairā€?

by Anonymousreply 339September 8, 2024 3:11 PM

These are polls of ā€œpeople who will answer pollsā€. The big example of that in this NYT poll? It says Harris is only up by 8 among 18 to 34 year olds. We know thatā€™s not representative of the population.

Donate, volunteer and talk to persuadables in your lives. We will win if we turnout the vote.

by Anonymousreply 340September 8, 2024 3:15 PM

And what makes you think I haven't, R339?! I've already donated $250 & will contribute more.

by Anonymousreply 341September 8, 2024 3:15 PM

[quote] Pennsylvania also has Philadelphia with a population of 1,603,797 in the 2020 census. If turnout is massive Kamala will win.

Harris does have room to grow. As perplexing as it may seem, she's not yet even at the level of support Biden enjoyed in 2020 among Black women.

by Anonymousreply 342September 8, 2024 3:29 PM

A lot of this ā€œstallā€ narrative is the Empire striking back. Those oligarchs are not too happy with her going after unrealized gains, price gouging, and other redistributive to them only practices theyā€™ve been enjoying without scrutiny. That said, if she raised $800 million in the last 2 months she better start spending it.

by Anonymousreply 343September 8, 2024 3:40 PM

After this week, my confidence is much higher.

by Anonymousreply 344September 14, 2024 12:29 AM

Just hope this video doesn't go viral....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345September 14, 2024 12:33 AM

I wish mine was, R344. Harris is still lagging well behind the poll numbers of Hillary & Biden at this time in their elections. She's behind Biden's final numbers in key demographics like Black women & young people. And then there's the fact that Trump was undercounted in the polls in the blue wall states in both '16 & '20.

by Anonymousreply 346September 14, 2024 12:38 AM

R345: Honey everything she says will go viral.

by Anonymousreply 347September 14, 2024 12:38 AM

For reference. R346.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348September 14, 2024 12:41 AM

Well, R348, that polling was before 9/15 & the fall of Lehman Bros., which cratered the economy. A pretty seismic event, which sealed the win for Obama.

by Anonymousreply 349September 14, 2024 12:45 AM

r346 is one of many posters I currently have blocked

by Anonymousreply 350September 14, 2024 12:46 AM

R350 Fascinating!

by Anonymousreply 351September 14, 2024 12:53 AM

More confident everyday OP, now that Trump's insanity is moving closer to the forefront.

by Anonymousreply 352September 14, 2024 12:55 AM

I know R35O will not see this, but any cursory review of my posting history will reveal how passionate I am about the existential threat Trump presents. And how imperative it is that Harris wins. But Iā€™m most clear-eyed about the task. A fact which might upset someone who only wants to see things through rose-colored glasses.

by Anonymousreply 353September 14, 2024 12:59 AM

I think it should at least give some pause among the most optimistic of us that Harris barely moved the needle in the first post-debate polls. After she wiped the floor with Trump, exposing him once again for the monumentally unfit crank that he is.

by Anonymousreply 354September 14, 2024 1:04 AM

I'm thrilled with how everything has gone with Biden stepping down (he was clearly physically and mentally unfit to seek another term) and Kamala becoming the Dem nominee so far. She has surpassed my expectations. I was very impressed with the debate, her rallies and with the enthusiasm of the Democratic supporters.

However, it all comes down to those few thousand voters in those swing states and the What's In It For Me voters. Unbelievably considering the Republican candidate - it could still go either way. Anyone who believes different is an idiot.

At least now that Biden is out of the picture there is some hope. There was no hope with him as the candidate. Only doom knowing Trump would win without any doubt. I love Kamala and support her all the way. Let's hope we manage to win! It's so important - especially as we gays are a target minority of the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 355September 14, 2024 3:20 AM

Itā€™s really a few thousand voters in 30-40 counties in the seven swing states that will decide this election.

by Anonymousreply 356September 14, 2024 7:11 AM

R356 You mean hundreds of thousands.

by Anonymousreply 357September 14, 2024 7:37 AM

Not a chance in hell.

by Anonymousreply 358September 14, 2024 8:02 AM

Well, R357, it could be just thousands of votes in EACH of the 30-40 counties that decide the election.

by Anonymousreply 359September 14, 2024 11:40 AM

Pretty confident as long as Trump keeps talking about migrants eating lets.

by Anonymousreply 360September 14, 2024 11:59 AM

I think Trump is pushing those few thousands votes away from himself. They either go to Harris or they don't vote. The undecideds are the ones that matter and in being undecided it means they've got problems with Trump (and Harris.) But nothing Trump is doing should push undecided toward him. There's also a chance some of Trump's own decided vote drops out. Most are Magats, but some consider themselves just Republicans. They may find him too much to stomach.

Between that and failure of the Red Wall Syndrome, my money is on Harris but I take nothing for granted. We won't know til the votes are counted and the lawsuits resolved. Probably end of December?

by Anonymousreply 361September 14, 2024 4:23 PM

In the first post-debate poll - by Yahoo News/YouGov, a A+-rated pollster - to show more than a point increase, Harris, in a 4 point uptick since August, is up 5 (50-45) among registered voters & up 4 (49-45) among likely voters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362September 14, 2024 7:18 PM

Iā€™ve said this before and I will say it to November. Women are going to decide this election in a HISTORICAL way. Iā€™d bet my life on it. Because of globalism and permanent changes in industry a lot of men have bought into Trumpā€™s message. In ways that he has converted a lot of non political Joes and Jeffs. But women are actually pragmaticā€” Trump is just a bridge too far at this point. They see the writing on the wall.

by Anonymousreply 363September 14, 2024 7:24 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I don't count anything out where that filth Trump is involved. I admit that I am absolutely petrified that the republicans are going to find some way to steal this election, and get away with it. And we obviously can't count on the Supreme Court to put a stop to any illegalities the GOP may do. At this point I am absolutely miserable over it on a daily basis, and at 71 I can't keep on this way a whole lot longer.

by Anonymousreply 364September 14, 2024 7:27 PM

For the poster(s) who think this race is won for Harris without the support of (former) Republicans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365September 15, 2024 11:38 AM

Iā€™m not saying I agree with his analysis, but the former UK ambassador to the US (who resigned after leaked documents revealed his criticism of Trump) says at this point Trump is the likelier winner.

He bases this on not currently winning over poor voters and not doing being available to the media.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366September 15, 2024 12:48 PM

Harris is very likely to win the popular and electoral college. The problem is going to be all the shenanigans the Republicans have been doing up to, during and after the election to either disenfranchise voters, to kick voters off the registered logs, to find ways to significantly slow down and divert mail-in votes, and to contest results that were legitimate.

by Anonymousreply 367September 15, 2024 1:04 PM

[quote] Harris is very likely to win the popular and electoral college. The problem is going to be all the shenanigans the Republicans have been doing

Saying that somehow Republicans could steal the elections sounds exactly like what Republicans say about Democrats. Both sides would say, ā€œYes, but weā€™re justified in claiming it, while the other side is not.ā€.

by Anonymousreply 368September 15, 2024 9:53 PM

R368, have you been paying attention to American politics in the last decade, or did you just beam in from outer space?

by Anonymousreply 369September 16, 2024 12:00 AM

The thing about polls is that they are mainly based on people who: pick up the phone, answer random texts asking for information, answer random political emails.

NO ONE I know would ever do such a thing

by Anonymousreply 370September 16, 2024 12:17 AM

R368 Apparently having your head up your ass for the last 8 years has become an art form.

by Anonymousreply 371September 16, 2024 2:01 AM

The co-writer of Game Change who is not John Heilemann today said today on his platform that, when looking at polling, "All I care about is if Donald Trump is able to define Kamala Harris outside the mainstream." Trump, he said, probably wins if he does, loses if he does not. "Every poll I look at I look through that prism." He then pivoted to two new polls, the Des Moines Register poll of Iowa & the Financial Times (FT). With respect to the former, he noted that, with the exception of abortion, Trump leads on every trait, yet the poll is "very close" in a state Trump has handily won the last two cycles. This, he said, is a "[g]reat sign for Kamala Harris [as] it means she doesn't have to cut the gap completely on these issues." The FT poll shows Harris doing better - albeit within the margin of error - on the economy. "If I'm right," he concluded, "and the whole thing is binary, can [Trump] define her or not, the answer, in these two polls, is he's not defining her with fifty days left to do it and [Harris] is doing a great job, mostly, of playing defense."

by Anonymousreply 372September 16, 2024 3:41 PM

[quote]he noted that, with the exception of abortion, Trump leads on every trait, yet the poll is "very close" in a state Trump has handily won the last two cycles.

Are the political analysts taking into account Trump's crazy-assed comments? That's gotta be another factor into why voters might be abandoning him.

by Anonymousreply 373September 16, 2024 3:47 PM

One of the many, many reasons I hate Dump is that I have lived in a state of low-key anxiety ever since he entered national politics in 2015.

by Anonymousreply 374September 18, 2024 3:12 PM

CBS not getting the answers it was hoping for.

At 5:35

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375September 19, 2024 12:44 AM

Steve Schmidt (former GOP strategist left party maybe 2016) says that whoever gets the most press coverage is who is losing. Itā€™s some kind of political law of gravity. So the fact that heā€™s getting killed with negative press should be helping Kamala ā€” if this theory is accurate. Thatā€™s the first time Iā€™ve ever heard someone say that, so time will tell. But there is a logic to it, if you believe in paying attention to organic cultural markers, such as mood, energy, tone, what people are hungry for, changing trends, etc. These are more subjective and always in flux, so tricky to gauge. Much of it is simply being extremely steeped in culture combined with having strong instincts. The past year Iā€™m studying primate behavior and guerilla warfare plus military history. Guess what? Itā€™s really helpful to understand these three topics during an election this dire. Also, I plan to read several books on powerā€¦

by Anonymousreply 376September 19, 2024 4:47 AM

You know growing up in East coast cities you sometimes heard the sayingā€” Liberalism is a mental disorder. And your like wtf, WE are right. We are moral. We are educated. But now I see. Itā€™s not that we are wrong on policy; the democrats sometimes are a little mentally ill because they keep taking on issues that are an electorate loser. Even most Mexicans hate illegal immigration and want a tighter border.

by Anonymousreply 377September 19, 2024 4:54 AM

[quote]WE are right. We are moral. We are educated.

Is that a Nazi-like sense of superiority, or more of a Leopold and Loeb?

by Anonymousreply 378September 19, 2024 6:00 AM

R376, isnā€™t Schmidtā€™s theory consistent with the position that whomever this campaign is about will be on the losing side? That as long as itā€™s about Trump - who usually cannot help but making everything about himself - he cannot win?

by Anonymousreply 379September 19, 2024 6:06 AM

Your slip is showing, r377

by Anonymousreply 380September 19, 2024 11:56 PM

R380 wtf are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 381September 20, 2024 10:13 AM

I believe, R381, that R380 was referring to the deliberate misrepresentation of the Democrats' policy on immigration.

by Anonymousreply 382September 20, 2024 11:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383September 20, 2024 4:12 PM

North Carolina is a remote possibility. Florida however is a lost cause.

by Anonymousreply 384September 20, 2024 9:49 PM

I wonder how many people who respond to polls stating they are voting for Trump will actually vote. Maybe his dedicated cult members will show up but he's low energy and his message is gibberish, not exactly the sort of thing that will inspire lazy thinkers.

by Anonymousreply 385September 20, 2024 10:01 PM

Since 2016, pollsters have figured out how to contact Trump voters, but they still haven't figured out how to reach the younger voters who have reached voting age since then. TikTok doesn't work so well for figuring out how someone's going to vote

by Anonymousreply 386September 20, 2024 10:35 PM

[quote] I wonder how many people who respond to polls stating they are voting for Trump will actually vote.

Do you know how many people who respond to polls stating they are voting for Harris will actually vote? Why wouldnā€™t you care about that?

by Anonymousreply 387September 20, 2024 10:40 PM

[quote] North Carolina is a remote possibility.

NC is very much in play for Harris.

by Anonymousreply 388September 21, 2024 12:47 AM

Anyone who votes for Trump is UnAmerican just like him.

by Anonymousreply 389September 21, 2024 12:53 AM

Not confident at all.

by Anonymousreply 390September 21, 2024 3:07 PM

Iā€™m confident about Kamala but not about Republicans playing fair. They will cheat in hopes of taking victory from her. God forbid it ends up at the Supreme KKKouurt.

by Anonymousreply 391September 21, 2024 10:58 PM

I am with r391. Election Day results will be a mess for months all due to Repiublican cheating with Putins help

by Anonymousreply 392September 21, 2024 11:33 PM

I need to stop reading this thread before bed.

by Anonymousreply 393September 22, 2024 12:34 AM

Putin can't do much to interfere with the actual voting process as every state has their own process and then each county runs elections on their own. They can't interfere enough to do any overall damage

Their damage is in spreading generic messages that the US election process is untrustworthy and broken

by Anonymousreply 394September 22, 2024 1:17 AM

Hillary lost in 2016 because of about 10,000 votes in Wisconsin. So it was not hundreds of thousands.

by Anonymousreply 395September 22, 2024 1:40 AM

Iā€™m still sticking by my assertion that if that mother fucking bag of landfill waste wins, he will be assassinated soon thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 396September 22, 2024 2:22 AM

And then we have Vance, r396.

Not comforting.

by Anonymousreply 397September 22, 2024 2:25 AM

R395 is that true. I think she needed more than just Wisconsin to reach 270. She lost Pennsylvania, memba.

by Anonymousreply 398September 22, 2024 2:26 AM

Yes, R397, I know that. We all know that. Iā€™m not wishing for an assassination. Iā€™m predicting an assassination. There is a difference.

by Anonymousreply 399September 22, 2024 2:27 AM

If Trump doesn't agree to a second debate that Kamala is all in for he'll look like a loser and she will surely win.

by Anonymousreply 400September 22, 2024 2:30 AM

[quote]If Trump doesn't agree to a second debate that Kamala is all in for he'll look like a loser and she will surely win.

The hit he would take from doing poorly at the debate is far worse than any hit he would take from not agreeing to another debate. His campaign would be smart not to risk it.

by Anonymousreply 401September 22, 2024 5:13 AM

But it's usually the one pressing for a debate who's the one who is losing, R400.

by Anonymousreply 402September 22, 2024 5:31 AM

Weā€™re not losing! Weā€™ve already lost and I am more vulnerable than most on DL. Trying to put a survival plan together but maybe it doesnā€™t matter. Iā€™m disabled on ssdi that will be cut or go away along with Medicare. My house still isnā€™t paid for and Iā€™ll be in the street. .Maybe itā€™s better to be dead than to have a ā€˜ā€™Trump 4-ever Presidential Dictatorā€™ā€™

by Anonymousreply 403September 23, 2024 5:26 AM

So true. No landslideā€™s coming and the Trumperā€™s will take the election to the ā€˜ā€™Supremes-featuring Clarence Thomasā€™ā€™

by Anonymousreply 404September 23, 2024 5:30 AM

Kamala is still either tied or up 1 in all the states she needs to win. Trump can still take this easily. Itā€™ll be incredible if Americans elect a convicted felon but theyā€™ve done plenty of fucked up things before. Kamala is really having trouble getting the male vote. Sheā€™s only at +3 while Biden was up +30.

by Anonymousreply 405September 23, 2024 7:58 AM

I think of Walz does great at the debate that can really help Kamala. Itā€™ll show that the Trump campaign is featuring two unhinged candidates. Kamala and Tim can look like theyā€™ll bring stability.

by Anonymousreply 406September 23, 2024 7:59 AM

[quote] Trump can still take this easily. Itā€™ll be incredible if Americans elect a convicted felon but ...

Listen to what you're saying. If Trump wins, it won't have been because "Americans" elect him, it'll be because a minority of voters manage to get a critical state or two that tips the EC. Don't blame "Americans" for the depravation of the rural, cult-addled minority.

by Anonymousreply 407September 23, 2024 11:38 AM

I think it could still go either way. Hopefully, there's some October surprise that puts the nail in Trump's coffin, thought I can't imagine anything that would deter MAGAts from voting for him at this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408September 23, 2024 12:00 PM

R405 Fun Fact. In 2016 white women voted for Trump 51%. In 2020 white women for for Trump 53%.

So even after all his scandals and horrible performance as president , after 4 years, two percent more white women voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 409September 23, 2024 12:44 PM

[quote] I can't imagine anything that would deter MAGAts from voting for him at this point.

Agree that most of Trumpā€™s and Harrisā€™ voters will vote for their candidate no matter what happens. Itā€™s just a tiny number in the middle who are malleable.

by Anonymousreply 410September 23, 2024 12:47 PM

It may all come down to Pennsylvania. If Harris wins Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, she wins. I think she will, but Pennsylvania is probably the most uncertain of those 3 states. If she loses Pennsylvania, she can still win, but it gets much more difficult. She would need to win at last 2 of the 4 Southern battleground states: Arizona, Nevada, North Carolina, and Georgia. But the polls (like at R408) are suggesting that Trump may carry all of those states, except Nevada. If Harris loses PA and NC and GA (not likely but very possible), it's over.

by Anonymousreply 411September 23, 2024 1:29 PM

There's ratfuckery afoot in a lot of states. I worry when I don't see Roger Stone galloping towards a camera. It means he's busy

by Anonymousreply 412September 23, 2024 1:32 PM

R411, she doesnā€™t win with only the three states (WI, MI, PA) if Nebraska switches to winner take all. Which they are trying to do, at Trumpā€™s urging.

Maine (the only other state who also has proportional voting) canā€™t do the same in this election cycle. Laws need 90 days to the effect, With only 269, the election goes to Congress and the Republicans would install Trump. This scenario would blow the country up.

by Anonymousreply 413September 23, 2024 1:47 PM

[quote] This scenario would blow the country up.

Especially, R413, if, as expected, Harris wins the popular vote.

by Anonymousreply 414September 23, 2024 2:06 PM

R414

by Anonymousreply 415September 23, 2024 4:32 PM

I honestly think they can win, but I'm not exactly confident. I don't want to get my hopes up and have them crushed like when Hillary lost.

by Anonymousreply 416September 23, 2024 4:38 PM

[quote] With only 269, the election goes to Congress and the Republicans would install Trump. This scenario would blow the country up.

Once again showing how dangerous it is that Americans are not adequately taught civics. If they were taught how elections work, it wouldnā€™t come as a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 417September 23, 2024 8:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418September 23, 2024 10:47 PM

The Vice Presidential debate is Oct 1st.

Walz will have a field day bringing up some of JD Vance's famous quotes as well as his stance on abortion.

But if you watch Vance's debate against Tim Ryan, you can see that Vance did not do badly. At least he won't be coming off as an unhinged loon the way Trump did.

by Anonymousreply 419September 23, 2024 10:59 PM

I think Vance will be very careful and make Walz look like the ā€˜ā€™corny coachā€™ā€™ with no money in the bank/irresponsible. Walz will be overly confidante-ā€˜ā€™fall on faceā€™ā€™. I HOPE NOT but Iā€™m a worrier.

by Anonymousreply 420September 23, 2024 11:23 PM

Iā€™m terrified, due to the Electoral College.

by Anonymousreply 421September 23, 2024 11:30 PM

Me too, r421.

I was feeling hopeful until a week or two ago. Harris HAS to make MAJOR inroads.

by Anonymousreply 422September 23, 2024 11:52 PM

Hold me, David.

by Anonymousreply 423September 24, 2024 1:01 AM

[quote]Iā€™m terrified, due to the Electoral College.

If Trump wins, but Harris gets the most votes nationally, people can still take that as a moral victory and just look ahead to 2028 to keep themselves occupied. The race for the nomination will begin immediately. The only sure thing would be that if Harris loses, she won't be renominated.

by Anonymousreply 424September 24, 2024 1:25 AM

R424 Sorry, but winning the popular vote and losing the Electoral College vote will be no moral victory. It will be the third time a Democrat candidate got a sizeable more votes than a Republican but still lost the election. If the Republicans were losing the presidency that way, you can bet something would have been done about it by now.

by Anonymousreply 425September 24, 2024 1:34 AM

The teamsters not endorsing Kamala is worrisome.

by Anonymousreply 426September 24, 2024 1:53 AM

Not given the well-known circumstances of that non-endorsement (and the local Teamsters are endorsing her all over the place).

by Anonymousreply 427September 24, 2024 2:33 AM

I see Pennsylvania trending on X. Trump is there tonight for a big rally.

by Anonymousreply 428September 24, 2024 2:36 AM

I do believe that Nebraska has rejected the winner takes all option.

by Anonymousreply 429September 24, 2024 3:07 AM

Kamala must win or we're doomed. Voters must step up and do the right thing.

by Anonymousreply 430September 24, 2024 3:09 AM

[quote]Polling is pointing toward a Harris victory. Diaper Don is getting more unhinged by the day, so he seems to have accepted that he's going to lose again.

But popularity doesn't win presidential elections. Electoral votes determine the win

by Anonymousreply 431September 24, 2024 5:10 AM

[quote] If the Republicans were losing the presidency that way, you can bet something would have been done about it by now.

What is they could have done? They, like the Dems, don't enjoy the supermajorities needed in Congress to pass a constitutional amendment. Even if they did, they wouldn't have a supermajority of state legislatures to follow suit.

by Anonymousreply 432September 24, 2024 5:35 AM

I don't understand why people have a problem with people migrating to the US to get a job and have a better life. "Taking our jobs" is bullshit. They're doing the work that we don't want to do. It's a racist attitude spoken by the King of the Racists - Donald Trump. He's poison.

by Anonymousreply 433September 24, 2024 5:42 AM

[quote]They're doing the work that we don't want to do.

Since you can only speak for yourself, how many people are you?

For the right amount of money, anyone would do any reasonable work. People like you always cut off the last part of the sentence: "work that people won't do when the wage the employer is offering is too low for that type of work."

by Anonymousreply 434September 24, 2024 7:10 AM

R434 And people like you always seem to be the ones who scream their heads off everytime democrats fight for a minimum wage hike that corporations will be forced to lay off employees and charge higher prices and the whole world will come tumbling down.

by Anonymousreply 435September 24, 2024 7:17 AM

This election is giving me dĆ©jĆ  vu of the Roy Moore vs Doug Jones senate race in Alabama. It should have been a slam dunk by any measure, but sanity only won by the skin of its teeth. I feel Harris is more likely to pull out of win, but itā€™s going to be tight and not emphatic. MAGA wonā€™t go away and will only find a more palatable candidate for next time. Republicans cornering themselves due to Roe v Wade is the only thing saving the Dems. This election will be a brief reprieve. Iā€™m weary of every election feeling like a knifeā€™s edge to disaster, but I need to learn to accept it will be a constant struggle. Iā€™m increasingly jealous of apolitical people. Ignorance would be truly bliss. Must be nice.

by Anonymousreply 436September 24, 2024 9:48 AM

As we have seen over the last many years, Trump IS the MAGA movement. There is no finding a more palatable candidate for next time, R436.

by Anonymousreply 437September 24, 2024 10:19 AM

I agree that Trump IS the MAGA movement. But I also agree that MAGA won't go away. The MAGAts don't want to be governed. They want to be entertained. Once Trump exits the political stage, they will look for their next entertainer. The Trump replacement won't be a "more palatable politician." It will be someone with no political background -- someone from the world of entertainment, business, sports, or the right-wing media -- a Fox News or Newsmax personality, a right-wing podcaster, etc. That's who the GOP will run for president in 2028. And if that sounds far-fetched, remember that Trump's candidacy seemed far-fetched when he first ran in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 438September 24, 2024 1:11 PM

Yeah, I think Trump is sui generis. Much like Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 439September 24, 2024 1:17 PM

Unfortunately, Trump trained his base to continue to expect nothing and continue to bitch and moan. Heā€™s not lifting up anyone except the rich through tax cuts.

I will be so bummed if PA gives the election to Dump.

by Anonymousreply 440September 24, 2024 3:03 PM

if Americans vote for this bastard then they deserve what they voted for.

I know one thing for sure, I promised myself last time when Hilary lost that I was going to do it but this time I definitely will . I am going to renounce the American citizenship and will move to Spain.

If this bastard wins, it will be because of the electoral college and Iā€™m not willing to live in a country with this rigged and fake democracy.

by Anonymousreply 441September 24, 2024 3:53 PM

I think she will squeak in. I don't know if I believe it or just hope it, but that's what I think. I don't think it will be clear election night, unless the polls are wrong and she pulls a much stronger performance than he polls suggest. I call that possible but not probable.

I think she is not doing much to erode Trump's lead on the economy and the border.

by Anonymousreply 442September 24, 2024 7:43 PM

[quote] Don't blame "Americans" for the depravation of the rural, cult-addled minority.

Those people are Americans and it wonā€™t be only rural areas. These people exist everywhere sadly.

by Anonymousreply 443September 24, 2024 7:47 PM

R441, why Spain?

by Anonymousreply 444September 24, 2024 7:47 PM

[quote]I am going to renounce the American citizenship and will move to Spain.

Oh really? How are you going to do that?

by Anonymousreply 445September 24, 2024 7:50 PM

R441 well you will have a few issues living in Spainā€™s completely unrigged and real democracy.

by Anonymousreply 446September 24, 2024 8:02 PM

Does anyone think the VP debate will change any minds?

by Anonymousreply 447September 30, 2024 10:37 PM

I'm confident that she will win the popular vote but I'm nervous as hell about the Electoral College. The Electoral College makes it almost impossible for democrats to win.

by Anonymousreply 448September 30, 2024 10:40 PM

Democrats have won the Electoral College 3 out of the past 4 elections, r448

by Anonymousreply 449September 30, 2024 10:41 PM

R447: I don't think the VP debate will move the needle if the third presidential debate does take place on October 23rd.

by Anonymousreply 450September 30, 2024 10:43 PM

Iā€™m still confident because she is up nationally and holding leads in PA, WI and MI. If she wins those plus Nevada she wins. GA and AZ would help but she can afford to lose one or both. Also, Trump is LOSING momentum. People donā€™t want four crazy years with him.

by Anonymousreply 451September 30, 2024 11:00 PM

R451 sounds like famous last words.

by Anonymousreply 452September 30, 2024 11:02 PM

Any Republican, even an evil stupid one would be better than Trump. Who the fuck wants to hear this fat bloated idiot yammering on day after day?

by Anonymousreply 453September 30, 2024 11:03 PM

[quote] Any Republican, even an evil stupid one would be better than Trump.

You may get your wish if Trump resigns and Vance becomes president. Maybe that could be plan B.

by Anonymousreply 454September 30, 2024 11:06 PM

[quote] Does anyone think the VP debate will change any minds?

I fear that Vance's approval ratings have no place to go but up.

by Anonymousreply 455September 30, 2024 11:15 PM

[quote] Iā€™m still confident because she is up nationally and holding leads in PA, WI and MI. If she wins those plus Nevada she wins.

If she wins the Rustbelt states, all she needs is Nebraska-2, where her polls numbers are better than in any of the battleground states.

by Anonymousreply 456September 30, 2024 11:17 PM

Trump is now visiting states that have been hit by Hurricane Helene, something neither Biden or Harris have done.

by Anonymousreply 457September 30, 2024 11:46 PM

Will he throwing out rolls of paper towels?

by Anonymousreply 458September 30, 2024 11:49 PM

[quote]Trump is now visiting states that have been hit by Hurricane Helene, something neither Biden or Harris have done.

Because he doesnā€™t care about getting in the way of actual emergency operations. He knows the media will follow him around and broadcast his lies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459October 1, 2024 12:34 AM

My primary concern isn't Harris winning the election, it is Trump and his election deniers in key positions in swing states being able to deny certification.

by Anonymousreply 460October 1, 2024 2:14 AM

Dems control the government in most of the battleground states, R460. Iā€™m more concerned with Harris winning enough of them.

by Anonymousreply 461October 1, 2024 3:39 AM

Thanks for sharing your concern.

by Anonymousreply 462October 1, 2024 3:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!