Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

California’s ultra-rich are building hidden mansions beneath LA

You’re lucky if you can afford a home in southern California at the moment, but the wealthy out do us all. Breathtaking vistas and mansions aren’t enough, they’ve got to have extraordinary basements as well.

Coined “iceberg homes” to indicate that a significant portion of living space is underground and hidden beneath the surface, these amenity-filled subterranean levels include wine cellars, home theaters, luxury gyms, and whatever else you can think of—including separate spaces for romance and intimacy. Some people even add in natural lightwells and skylights to flood the iceberg with California sunshine.

These homes were also a thing in London for years, too, among the city’s elite who couldn’t build up or out. Then, roughly five years ago, San Francisco Magazine published a story on iceberg homes. The author wrote: “In Palo Alto, as in many other affluent yet zoning-constrained enclaves around the Bay Area, homeowners are going underground…the once-lowly basement has become the hottest area in home design, resulting in a flotilla of square-footage-concealing iceberg houses.”

In Los Angeles, no one calls them icebergs. And they aren’t always called finished basements either, even if that’s basically what they are. Calling it a basement, “that’s considered kind of lowbrow,” Ernie Carswell, a luxury real estate agent based in Beverly Hills, said. “We call it the lower level.” The Wall Street Journal once labeled them McBasements, but the jury’s still out on whether the SoCal upper echelon will go for it.

Carswell could be onto something because these luxe underground configurations don’t give off damp basement vibes, they’re much cooler and exemplary of Los Angeles opulence. Some house billiard rooms and wine caves, some have bowling alleys and movie theaters, some have gyms and saunas, some have bars, some have bedrooms if there are lightwells, and some are straight out of a “James Bond movie,” as Carswell put it. In all posh neighborhoods where multimillion dollar homes line the streets, “it’s luxurious to have a bunker,” Carswell said. Maybe they’re taking a page out of the Silicon Valley billionaire playbook.

It’s hard to say how much it costs to build a lavish basement, or whatever you want to call it, but it can be more than $1 million. Loosely speaking, if you were to build a 2,000 square foot lower level, it could come out to about $1.5 million, said Andrew Vaitkevicius, sales and acquisitions manager for Arzuman Brothers, a luxury homebuilder. Or they could cost even more, maybe a double-digit million figure, according to Chris Pozil, a senior project manager for McClean Design, a contemporary residential design firm. It's because of how much work goes into them—the foundation, the finishing.

Vaitkevicius called the basements an almost “second house,” and they’re prevalent in neighborhoods such as Bel Air, Beverly Hills, the Sunset Strip, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, and Toluca Lake. Arzuman Brothers is building about 20 homes in Los Angeles at the moment, and about half will have basements that are fully fledged living spaces, he said. And in those neighborhoods, it makes sense because the sky’s the limit for how much you can sell for, more or less.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 3, 2024 9:32 PM

That seems like a good way to get caved in during a strong earthquake.

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2024 7:34 AM

[quote] That seems like a good way to get caved in during a strong earthquake.

I was thinking the same thing.

And I'd be happy if all these super wealthy people were in their basements, when the "big one" hits.

Wipe 'em all out.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2024 7:36 AM

Underground homes. In an earthquake zone.

🤦‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2024 7:40 AM

[quote] the wealthy make incredibly moronic purchases

Yes, they do. Especially in LA. Building on or near mountainsides where wildfires eventually scorch their homes. Or eroding ocean bluffs where landslides happen after a rain. But at least those have nice views. What views do these subterranean homes provide?

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2024 7:47 AM

It's not about the views, which home owners, if they have them, will already have from the upper levels. It's about adding amenity to the existing property, as described exactly in the linked article.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2024 7:54 AM

To a certain extent it makes sense. The 'iceberg houses' in London started with historic houses where the only possible way to go was down, and down they went to build a level for garage store, mechanicals, storage space, and maybe an informal living space with big windows opening to an excavated area of garden.

Soon enough this relatively simple program transformed into a sort of competition, to see who could dig deepest and cause the greatest number of lawsuits from adjacent property owners. Instead of short (if far from inexpensive) wish list, it became a 'while we are excavating down there, we may as well....' And from that expansive line of thinking grew absurd and very complexly engineered spaces of three and four subterranean levels of a complexity that required years to complete. And so we got bunkers, sex rooms, multiple living spaces, bedrooms, staff spaces, a spa, a sauna, a gym, enormous swimming pools, a shooting range, storage rooms, valuables vaults, a pet grooming room, wine cellars, class rooms for the kids and apartments for the tutors and child care staff, space to house security operations and staff, a cave for growing mushrooms, a grotto for boat rides, a room in constant rotation to keep the luxury watch collection wound...

It transformed from a rich man's game to a very fucking rich man's grotesquerie, a nightmare of a Bond villain's lair.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2024 8:10 AM

Doesn't La Streisand have her shopping mall in this type of setup?

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2024 8:15 AM

I'm no engineer R6, but it sounds like with so many homes like that being built, the ground at the street level would become quite unstable.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2024 8:18 AM

Do they actually have the people to use the amenities? Aren’t they away most of the time at another house or away making their zillions. Filthy rich people don’t have 10 brats needing facilities and they are usually older when building these monstrosities so very unlikely to see the amenities. I guess it’s an ego thing.

My father has a friend with a drink problem. He had hundreds of jobs before meeting a rich guy in a bar and becoming his “house manager”. Dude lives in this guys house in Colorado. It has everything - gym, wine cellar, screening room, games room, indoor pool, library and on and on. Dad’s friend maintains the property and drinks. Rich guy boss comes every Christmas and maybe once in summer. His wife often buys shit for the house and has it delivered, she comes to oversee the Xmas decorations and take photos then bolts for her Hawaii house. What a waste!

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2024 9:02 AM

[quote] My father has a friend with a drink problem. He had hundreds of jobs before meeting a rich guy in a bar and becoming his “house manager”.

How did a drunk manage to score that job, R9?

I would LOVE to do that.

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2024 9:23 AM

Luscious lips, R10

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2024 9:33 AM

r8 Indeed some iceberg homes in London have caused damage to neighbouring homes and sinking streets

This is just a status symbol. At least in London you had the veneer of an excuse of listed buildings and so on. That hardly applies in a city where homes that are more than 10 years old are advertised as a tear-down opportunity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2024 9:54 AM

R10 He has the “gift of the gab”

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2024 9:59 AM

Leave it to LA to suddenly decide the lowly basement is suddenly something cool and chic.

The midwest says, "Welcome!"

"Hello, LA!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2024 10:03 AM

[quote] Or they could cost even more, maybe a double-digit million figure, according to Chris Pozil,

What is a double digit-million figure? Do they mean eight figures? This is a poorly written article. To many words for not that much clear information.

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2024 10:22 AM

My impression was that in the case of London this mania was largely driven by tacky Russian oligarchs trying to outdo each other in constructing ostentatiously luxurious lairs.

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2024 10:35 AM

[Quote] It's not about the views,

What, underground building is not about the views? Color me shocked.

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2024 10:56 AM

R17, there's fabulous views of earthworms and compacted soil!

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2024 12:38 PM

Left LA two years ago, I'll never understand why anyone who can afford to live anywhere would want to live there. Sure the weather is great in some areas. Hot as fuck in others. But even the rich people are so damn trashy. I was invited to fancy parties with a friend and wouldn't want to be friends with any of the people I met. Horrible people.

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2024 1:11 PM

God, what fucking assholes. They’re basements.

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2024 1:18 PM

To be fair, I understand why these underground levels aren’t called basements. That’s usually semi-finished or unfinished cold storage space.

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2024 1:23 PM

Do these lower levels make good fallout shelters? I’m guessing the ones that introduce sunlight don’t.

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2024 1:31 PM

65,000 sq ft, 12 bedrooms,24 baths, Subway views!

by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2024 1:34 PM

I can understand why people would be interested in this.

by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2024 3:10 PM

@r22, "Do these lower levels make good fallout shelters? "

Yes, because radiation can't go downstairs 😏

by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2024 3:37 PM

[quote] I was invited to fancy parties with a friend and wouldn't want to be friends with any of the people I met. Horrible people.

Most of these people are not originally from Los Angeles.

Native Angelenos are quite ordinary, actually

The real assholes are mainly transplants who move to Los Angeles from Flyover Country in the Midwest and South.

by Anonymousreply 26August 13, 2024 3:41 PM

^ Oh, bullshit, most of the LA assholes are from China or the middle-east. Midwest assholes are perfectly happy staying in the midwest

by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2024 3:48 PM

[Quote] Yes, because radiation can't go downstairs

Most fallout shelters are underground, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 28August 13, 2024 4:45 PM

R8 as stared, you are no engineer! Thank you for your service.

by Anonymousreply 29August 13, 2024 4:51 PM

stated*

by Anonymousreply 30August 13, 2024 4:51 PM

R19 couldn’t keep a job. Oh well…

by Anonymousreply 31August 13, 2024 4:52 PM

@r28, "Most fallout shelters are underground"

What the fuck does that mean, Dorothy? I thought they were on top of 100 story buildings. You,know, above the radiation line 🙄

A standard basement would offer little in the way of nuclear fallout protection

"The rational reason we don't build nuclear shelters anymore is because they're no longer effective. As weapon yields increased, it's become apparent that a concrete, underground hideout is not going to save you."

Shady Pines, Dorothy, Shady Pines 😠

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 13, 2024 5:24 PM

In earthquake country?

by Anonymousreply 33August 13, 2024 5:28 PM

[Quote] A standard basement would offer little in the way of nuclear fallout protection

These aren’t “standard basements,” Rose. They cost many millions of dollars.

[Quote] During any radiation emergency, follow the radiation protection principles of time, distance, and shielding. Limit your time exposed to radiation, stay as far away as possible from a radioactive source, and shield yourself from radiation by going deep inside a sturdy building.

The level of retardation here these days really defies description.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 13, 2024 5:38 PM

Lord Jesus, protect me from the idiots in this thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 13, 2024 5:44 PM

2r34, A basement by itself does not offer protection from radiation which was r22's question. That link is nothing but feel good nonsense. If LA gets nuked YOU'RE GOING TO DIE, Dorothy

by Anonymousreply 36August 13, 2024 5:46 PM

Surrender Dorothy!

by Anonymousreply 37August 13, 2024 5:54 PM

@r35, Mary and Joesph, I know it's year 0001 where you are, but Fallout Shelters were discontinued 50 years ago. Do try to keep up

"The United States ended federal funding for the shelters in the 1970s. In 2017, New York City began removing the yellow signs since members of the public are unlikely to find edible food and usable medicine inside those rooms"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 13, 2024 5:59 PM

[Quote] 2r34,

Come again? This isn’t Star Wars, Rose.

[Quote] A basement by itself does not offer protection from radiation which was [R22]'s question. That link is nothing but feel good nonsense. If LA gets nuked YOU'RE GOING TO DIE, Dorothy

Who said anything about “a basement by itself,” Rose? This seems to be a subject you know less than nothing about, but you’re quite eager to hold forth about it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 39August 13, 2024 6:02 PM

Nothing in your link indicates that fallout shelters don’t work, r38. Do keep up.

by Anonymousreply 40August 13, 2024 6:03 PM

I know their secret.

If I'd have had a sub-basement I'd still be doing children's parties in my clown face.

by Anonymousreply 41August 13, 2024 6:04 PM

R38 didn’t get the joke… I’m on your side —I think? I’m making fun

by Anonymousreply 42August 13, 2024 6:07 PM

@r39, "Who said anything about “a basement by itself,” Rose? "

r22, you big dumb Amazon dago

by Anonymousreply 43August 13, 2024 6:18 PM

Fine, LA, go hide in your silly nouveau basements, but when you get nuked back to the stone-age don't come crying to us 😠

I'm going to stand out front of my house and get vaporized like normal people

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 13, 2024 6:27 PM

An earthquake is not a bomb. 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 13, 2024 6:34 PM

Many elites and even companies like Nestle have been openly preparing for the global extermination of the working class for decades

by Anonymousreply 46August 13, 2024 7:25 PM

Soylent Green R46!

by Anonymousreply 47August 13, 2024 7:27 PM

When I was a kid we had a fully finished basement. That’s where we kept the pool table, a couch, the water heater and my teenage brother’s room.

by Anonymousreply 48August 13, 2024 7:45 PM

Is that where he touched you?

Plot twist: 99.9% of LA homes do not have a basement.

by Anonymousreply 49August 13, 2024 7:54 PM

It's hardly just the ultra-rich. Because of zoning restrictions, you can put a basement in your new house and add significant square footage without it ever being counted against the actual square footage of the house. Here on the Westside, many houses with a 4M+ price tag are being built with a basement and the higher the price, the more likely a basement.

by Anonymousreply 50August 13, 2024 7:59 PM

What’s a basement?

by Anonymousreply 51August 13, 2024 8:06 PM

Another thread ruined then.

by Anonymousreply 52August 13, 2024 8:11 PM

[quote] What views do these subterranean homes provide?

R4 They all seem to have home cinemas, so the answer is: a view of the celeb's own ass. Houses like this are nightmare fuel. I have a question for the pros because I have no idea about LA: How low/high is the groundwater table? Not only could your home be permanently damp but it could ruin the subterranean flow for everyone else, creating a barrier. Is that an issue at all?

by Anonymousreply 53August 13, 2024 8:12 PM

In CA and Hawaii these underground mansions are being built for wildfires. Wildfires sweep through very quickly. You go downstairs, seal off the basement and go into a pressurized room with oxygen …like a submarine…until the fire passes. Your above ground home may be destroyed but you and your family and pets safely survived the firestorm. And you have somewhere to live while you rebuild.

by Anonymousreply 54August 13, 2024 11:00 PM

There's a reason LA only has one subway (well, technically two) and that was a big undertaking unlikely to be replicated again.

by Anonymousreply 55August 13, 2024 11:25 PM

[quote] Plot twist: 99.9% of LA homes do not have a basement.

And here's why....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 13, 2024 11:37 PM

I've heard that bunkers would be the equivalent of a super heated oven, in the case of a nuclear attack.

by Anonymousreply 57August 14, 2024 1:19 AM

[italic]The Peripheral[/italic] by William Gibson was published in 2014. One of the characters, a member of the Russian Klept in future London, lived in a London house with deep basements, one being used to store vehicles. I wonder whether Gibson heard about Russians in current London building these subterranean structures.

by Anonymousreply 58August 14, 2024 1:40 AM

That’s what’s I call glamour!

by Anonymousreply 59August 14, 2024 1:49 AM

R58: It would have been difficult to avoid, I should think. It's been going on for 20 years or so.

Projects were featured on UK architecture and renovation TV programs. By 2012 it was seem as a well entrenched trend the problems of which were quite evident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 14, 2024 1:51 AM

Tax the fuck out of these assholes.

by Anonymousreply 61August 14, 2024 1:58 AM

Thanks, r60.

by Anonymousreply 62August 14, 2024 2:30 AM

[quote] Coined “iceberg homes” to indicate that a significant portion of living space is underground and hidden beneath the surface

In a state known for earthquakes and mudslides, what could possibly go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 63August 14, 2024 2:43 AM

Maybe they're blasting into rock cliffs? It's the only thing thst would make sense. But I don't lnow how the state could give permits for that sort of a thing so close to other structures. Or maybe the state thinks it's a good idea for very wealthy pepple to pay for maintaining and shoring up hills at their cost. If a lot of tgem do it, it could be a good thing, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 64August 14, 2024 2:53 AM

Westminster Planning has went thumbs down on the majority of planning applications with extra basements in the last few years, and generally, the trend is over.

by Anonymousreply 65August 14, 2024 3:02 AM

I wonder, legally, how much land you actually own under the top surface. Could someone wealthy buy and excavate subterranean caves under poor or working class neighborhoods? Could broke ass mayors sell their city's underground to balance the budget? Makes me think of riparian rights, garbage barges in the ocean, or Manhattan "air" space.

by Anonymousreply 66August 14, 2024 3:08 AM

In the early 2000s I had a client who was the CEO of a major Hollywood studio—a real industry heavyweight. She owned a stunning Cliff May trophy home atop Brentwood, but it didn’t quite match her needs. I mean, a studio head without an in house screening room? Unheard of!

Instead of trading up to a flashier mansion, or tearing down her beloved 1960s Cliff May ranch with its stunning views, she decided to build down—adding multiple stories beneath the original structure. This allowed her to expand and get everything she needed without losing the home’s original charm.

It’s a perfect example of going bigger without showing off—respecting what you have while making it even better. Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 67August 14, 2024 3:32 AM

That's a crazy idea, r54. Who wants to be in a submarine-style bunker under thousands of pounds of burning building materials when you could just escape? Who are these crazy rich people who are planning on riding out a wildfire?

by Anonymousreply 68August 14, 2024 4:18 AM

R67 - Just another example of a woman in Hollywood having to go down to get ahead. Whore!

by Anonymousreply 69August 15, 2024 12:11 PM

[quote] Who wants to be in a submarine-style bunker under thousands of pounds of burning building materials when you could just escape?

So why does anyone die in a wildfire? Why didn’t they just escape? Why did >100 people die in the Hawaii wildfire? Why did 85 people die in the Paradise Camp Fire? Why didn’t they just run? Or drive away?

Is it because wildfires are extremely fast and change direction in a snap?

My sister got lost in a wildfire. She was diverted off the main road (didn’t even know there was a wildfire that had jumped both sides of the highway. Thought there was accident). She saw barefoot people in bathrobes running away. Her car was filling up with smoke, She was afraid she was going to die. She turned on her radio - no local radio stations anymore. No information. No cell service.

Some rich people have died in wildfires.

by Anonymousreply 70August 16, 2024 12:15 AM

Jesus that sounds positively terrifying, R70

Glad your sister made it out!

by Anonymousreply 71August 16, 2024 9:01 AM

When you appear to have a micropenis, but in reality you’re hung like a horse.

by Anonymousreply 72August 16, 2024 9:29 AM

R67 Stacey Snider?

The only other female CEO in Hollywood was Sherry Lansing whose homes with William Friedkin are well documented.

by Anonymousreply 73August 16, 2024 11:54 AM

No natural light. They'll never be on House Hunters.

by Anonymousreply 74August 16, 2024 12:03 PM

R21 - my basement is fully finished. It’s still a basement. I’ve read, though, that only something like 30% of US homes have basements, which I don’t know is true, but maybe that’s why it’s a novelty to call a fixed up basement something exotic. Basements seem pretty common in Canada, except for rockier places like BC.

by Anonymousreply 75August 16, 2024 12:23 PM

[quote]In 2017, New York City began removing the yellow signs since members of the public are unlikely to find edible food and usable medicine inside those rooms"

I bet you could fit a gaggle of illegals in them.

by Anonymousreply 76August 16, 2024 12:41 PM

Did they just have a recent earthquake?

Any damage to any of these hidden areas?

by Anonymousreply 77August 23, 2024 7:22 AM

It’s just the doomsday bunker houses all the superrich-are building.

by Anonymousreply 78August 23, 2024 8:40 AM

[quote] I'm no engineer [R6], but it sounds like with so many homes like that being built, the ground at the street level would become quite unstable.

Do you have any idea what’s going on beneath the streets you walk on every day?

by Anonymousreply 79August 23, 2024 8:57 AM

When catastrophe hits they'll be entombed and immortalized like the Pharaohs. Think King Tuchus.

by Anonymousreply 80August 23, 2024 11:40 AM

You know one of these fuckers has a pet porpoise with a laser.

“Carl, your porpoise maimed another pool boy.”

by Anonymousreply 81September 8, 2024 4:09 PM

They are not building hidden mansions.

They are inserting extra floors under perfectly visible mansions.

by Anonymousreply 82September 8, 2024 4:27 PM

I hope I'm alive to observe the devastation on the day the big one tosses half of California into the Pacific.

by Anonymousreply 83September 8, 2024 5:15 PM

Really, R83? You long for that day? Is it rich people in general or liberals specfically that you hate?

by Anonymousreply 84September 8, 2024 5:17 PM

You seem nice, R83.

by Anonymousreply 85September 8, 2024 5:17 PM

Also, R83, it's hispanics, Asians, POC...maybe you hate all those people as well?

by Anonymousreply 86September 8, 2024 5:18 PM

[quote] I hope I'm alive to observe the devastation on the day the big one tosses half of California into the Pacific.

We hope you're not. You suck.

by Anonymousreply 87September 8, 2024 5:19 PM

Meh. The Egyptian Pharaohs were doing this shit 4000 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 88October 3, 2024 9:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!