Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tarzan (1999)

The final film of the Disney Renaissance doesn't always get the praise it deserves, but it's my favorite adaptation of the Edgar Rice Burroughs classic.

Phil Collins' music adds a lot of fun, and the all-star cast—Tony Goldwyn, Minnie Driver, Brian Blessed, Rosie O'Donnell, Sir Nigel Hawthorne, Wayne Knight, Lance Henriksen, and Glenn Close— all deliver outstanding voice performances.

The animation is also exceptional, with the innovative use of Deep Canvas technology allowing 2D characters to interact seamlessly with 3D environments, creating an immersive jungle experience that feels dynamic and alive.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like this movie. So, DL, tear it apart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 27, 2024 10:44 PM

Strangers Like Me was always a favorite

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2024 8:59 PM

I've always liked it and loved the music, but I can't stand Jane's weird elongated nose or Minnie Driver's voice.

by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2024 9:27 PM

R2 Yeah, I am not a big Driver fan, but she is good in this. It works

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2024 10:03 PM

Loved it

by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2024 10:04 PM

I preferred this version, or the Skarsgård version, or any other live-action version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 12, 2024 10:07 PM

R5 He is sexy too

What happened to him?

by Anonymousreply 6August 12, 2024 10:16 PM

[quote]...and Glenn Close

So...the *second* Tarzan she voiced?

by Anonymousreply 7August 12, 2024 10:22 PM

[quote]The animation is also exceptional, with the innovative use of Deep Canvas technology allowing 2D characters to interact seamlessly with 3D environments, creating an immersive jungle experience that feels dynamic and alive.

Looked fantastic on the big widescreen in the theatre.

"Son Of Man", great song and great "adult" reveal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 12, 2024 10:33 PM

R8 I agree, it is beautiful

by Anonymousreply 9August 12, 2024 10:38 PM

It IS Tarzan!

by Anonymousreply 10August 12, 2024 10:47 PM

[quote] I preferred this version, or the Skarsgård version, or any other live-action version.

They was a dreadful movie with horrid CGI, but it was nice to have a lot of shirtless Skarsgard.

by Anonymousreply 11August 12, 2024 10:48 PM

Christopher Lambert wasn't so bad look either

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 12, 2024 11:07 PM

I love this scene.

"That ain't my baby!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2024 11:36 PM

I saw it in theaters. The thick, realistic jungle animation is the only thing I really remember.

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2024 11:42 PM

I used to ogle the animated Tarzan, which is clearly made in Tony Goldwyn’s image.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2024 11:47 PM

They had to de-sexy Tarzan, so they made his hands and feet outrageously big (like an ape's) and gave him a pointy jaw. Otherwise they would have faced censorship problems since he spends the whole movie in a loincloth.

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2024 1:31 AM

It's too bad the fisting scene never went beyond storyboard.

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2024 2:36 AM

Josh Strickland on Broadway was stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2024 10:30 AM

Too bad the film has Rosie's stink all over it.

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2024 10:41 AM

The stage show at Animal Kingdom at WDW was always a lot of fun.

A friend of mine (female) who worked on it banged two of the Tarzans one summer.

She was a whore, and I was proud of her.

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2024 12:18 PM

OP watches cartoons.

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2024 1:34 PM

R19 thank you, DJT

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2024 1:43 PM

It's a cartoon!

by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2024 9:41 PM

I didn't know Glenn Close was in it. That's her second Tarzan film since she dubbed Andie MacDowell's voice in Greystoke.

by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2024 10:12 PM

I like this one, although most of the films past Lion King had issues. I would watch anything up to and including Home On The Range, though, over most of the CGI animated films that succeeded them (with some exceptions here and there).

I think Disney tied themselves to a release schedule that emphasized quantity over quality, and it started to show with the 2D animated films. They also chose sometimes grandiose subjects that didn't mesh well with their insistence on adhering to a formula. "Hunchback" stands out as an example of this, for me. If they were going to tackle that story they could have put aside the need for humorous sidekicks and just gone whole hog on a dark, gothic take. Instead we get a weird mish-mash of darkness with jarring, kid-friendly comedy that doesn't work. They seemed compelled to serve an adult audience while still catering to kids. It worked with "Beauty & The Beast," but not very well elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2024 10:27 PM

Tarzan & Milo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 13, 2024 10:52 PM

I hear you, r25, re: Hunchback’s weird tone.

Disney was still licking their wounds from the decision to ditch the talking animals in Pocahontas.

They probably felt backed into a kiddy-friendly corner when Pocahontas underperformed and didn’t nab a best picture nom like Beauty and the Beast.

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2024 5:34 AM

I vaguely remember seeing this film at the cinema. It's quite dark for Disney, isn't it? In the first few minutes, you see Tarzan's parents' corpses poking out from behind a wall (I think?), and a cute little baby monkey gets eaten off-screen. And the film ends with the villain accidentally hanging himself.

I can't understand what possessed Disney to think teen sensation Phil Collins was down with the kids.

by Anonymousreply 28August 27, 2024 10:07 PM

Wow to R5.

by Anonymousreply 29August 27, 2024 10:34 PM

I prefer the live action version featuring Brendan Fraser. He was so fkin hot back then.

by Anonymousreply 30August 27, 2024 10:38 PM

[quote]I can't understand what possessed Disney to think teen sensation Phil Collins was down with the kids.

Great soundtrack and he won an Oscar for the song "You'll Be In My Heart" too.

by Anonymousreply 31August 27, 2024 10:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!