Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2024 DNC Predictions and Wishlists

It's right around the corner, DL'ers! Let's wage some bets on what and who we'll be seeing, and what you're hoping for.

Will Taylor Swift and Bey take the stage, and what other celebrity appearances should we expect? Will we get a more comprehensive economy/immigration reform plan unveiled? Will the protestors shit all over our parade? Will there be a sort of lifetime achievement award presented to Biden complete with a special video montage? Will any cats be present?

by Anonymousreply 49August 21, 2024 8:07 PM

Swift will still be in Europe on tour, but I've read rumors that she might make a video appearance at one point during the convention.

by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2024 7:29 PM

Tentative foundational schedule for speakers has been released.

Monday: Opening with President Biden; Hillary Clinton

Tuesday: Governor Pritzker opening; Fmr. President Obama

Wednesday: Fmr. President Clinton; Governor Tim Walz

Thursday: Vice President Kamala Harris formally accepts nomination

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2024 8:43 PM

CHICAGO (WLS) -- The Democratic National Convention begins in less than a week and Chicago's top safety officials went over security plans Tuesday morning.

Both the city and Secret Service shared an update on their final safety plans ahead of the convention.

Protesters like the Coalition To March On The DNC, comprised of 200 groups from around the country are gearing up for two Union Park rallies, expecting 40,000 people to attend.

"And that requires housing people," Faayani Aboma Mijana with Coalition To March On The DNC said. "That requires figuring out how people are going to eat. That requires figuring out what people are going to do to help this effort, like the administrative tasks."

Protest groups had filed a lawsuit against the city to be within "sight and sound" of the United Center to express their views on the war in Gaza.

But a judge ruled Monday that the city's plan, which has protesters more than three miles east of the convention site, meets the First Amendment and safety and security concerns, so the city can keep its plan in place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2024 8:54 PM

Barbra will apear live via satellite to lip sync, "Don't Lie To Me".

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2024 9:03 PM

Julia Louis-Dreyfus to Host Panel With Democratic Women Governors During DNC:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2024 9:22 PM

There will be violence; we will make sure of that, since it's all we've got.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2024 9:26 PM

Hollywood Hits the Windy City: Roundup of Stars Traveling to Chicago’s DNC for Concerts, Events:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2024 5:18 AM

What do I want to see? The roll call vote like in 2020 when we got to see what the states look like from the delegates.

I LOVED that! Like the Native American guy in New Mexico and the crab boil in Maryland.

It was so neat to see all sorts of Americans out in their state giving their votes. I want to see that again!

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2024 5:41 AM

I think Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce are going to hang back for a while and then come out asking people to register and vote for Harris. The repubs are going to come out slinging mud and dirty tricks, maybe get women to claim Kelce sexually harassed or assaulted them in the past. Maybe hinting there is a sex tape of Swift going down on her cat.

by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2024 5:53 AM

Judging by the turnout of the Republicans for Harris zoom call, I'm going to bet we see a number of Never Trumper Republicans giving speeches. If you step outside of the Fox/Newsmax/Truth Social Twilight Zone, there is actually a huge movement growing of disaffected Republicans coming out for Harris/Walz. I think it would be a really impactful moment of bipartisan unity if we dedicated some portion of the convention to thank them for putting country before party.

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2024 6:23 AM

As next week’s Democratic National Convention starts to click into view, Politico reports Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg has landed a primetime speaking slot Wednesday night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2024 10:10 AM

I'm here volunteering (handing out gift bags) and have it under very good authority from one of the housing liason volunteer queens that Beyonce is IN Chicago and WILL be performing on Thursday.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2024 10:35 PM

Wishlist: You'll be too busy watching it on TV you won't pollute Datalounge with six hundred threads about it.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2024 10:38 PM

[quote] I'm going to bet we see a number of Never Trumper Republicans giving speeches.

at least one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2024 11:08 PM

.... or two ^...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2024 11:11 PM

I hope the lesser known, but practical moderate Midwestern types ( think Elissa Slotkin or Haley Stevens) give speeches. I'm tired of pretty girl Alexandria Ocasio Cortez getting attention.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2024 11:17 PM

Helluva date night

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2024 11:30 PM

R17 Oh, well that's just adorable. 😍

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2024 11:40 PM

I had a very short interaction with Jen Psaki here today and I am proud to report she was an absolute doll. We talked about redhead sun protection and compared our UVA blocking sunbrellas.

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2024 11:43 PM

Hillary Clinton will wear white.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2024 11:48 PM

Pete got a good night. Nice notch on the belt.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2024 11:50 PM

Agree that Pete is not getting State, but he's certainly in with both feet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2024 12:26 AM

Fox will carry only the protests.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2024 1:34 AM

Full list of Republicans endorsing Harris:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2024 2:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2024 3:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2024 3:10 AM

Name the ways donOLD could not be substituted for Kamala in this photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2024 12:54 PM

Fox and the three major networks will carry the convention coverage from 10-11.

by Anonymousreply 28August 19, 2024 1:20 PM

Not necessarily in this order

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 19, 2024 3:03 PM

Some of those must be afternoon, right? They can't get all those into three hours at night, surely.

by Anonymousreply 30August 19, 2024 3:06 PM

Kamala was not elected via primary. It is a coronation. How drunk will she be to accept?

by Anonymousreply 31August 19, 2024 3:06 PM

[quote] Predictions and Wishlists

earrings and Caftans!

by Anonymousreply 32August 19, 2024 3:14 PM

r31, If Harris takes the stage, drunk off her ass, carrying a full shot glass of Crown Royal, with a flask at her hip, she'd still present herself better than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 33August 19, 2024 3:23 PM

Re r29

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 19, 2024 3:36 PM

Sean O'Brien done fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 35August 19, 2024 4:11 PM

[quote] I hope the lesser known, but practical moderate Midwestern types ( think Elissa Slotkin or Haley Stevens) give speeches. I'm tired of pretty girl Alexandria Ocasio Cortez getting attention.

Jasmine Crockett and Grace Meng arguably have better slots than AOC (even if Mallory McMorrow does not).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 19, 2024 6:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 19, 2024 6:31 PM

R36 Thanks for posting that. But, ugh AOC is still speaking there. I'm glad Lauren Underwood is speaking she was a nurse and also worked in public health before running for Congress. She is vey down to earth and practical unlike "Look at me attention whore/magazine cover girl AOC".

I'm also glad Mallory McMorrow is speaking, I really loved this speech she gave on the Michigan Senate floor a few years ago. McMorrow would be an ideal person to be in Congress and I would take her any day over brats like AOC, Rashida Talib, and Ilhan Omar. McMorrow needs to consider a run for federal level office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 19, 2024 7:09 PM

Jasmine Crockett needs to steal AOC magazine cover thunder. I like Crockett and hope she will be POTUS someday.

Crockett, Lauren Underwood, and Haley Stevens need to do some kind of power move to push out The Squad when it comes to media attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 19, 2024 7:13 PM

I'm sure FIUX will be outraged

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 19, 2024 11:02 PM

Full clip for ^^^.

Traditional start, soulful ending.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 19, 2024 11:07 PM

Deadline says, despite rumors, Taylor will not be showing up at the DNC:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 19, 2024 11:08 PM

I very much doubt that an appearance by Swift will overshadow Harris.

by Anonymousreply 43August 19, 2024 11:50 PM

If Swift is going to signal her support for Harris to her fans and the rest of the known world, wouldn't she do her usual elliptical style, leaving everybody to figure out, but leaves no doubt of who she supports?

by Anonymousreply 44August 19, 2024 11:54 PM

[quote] I'm also glad Mallory McMorrow is speaking,

About a third of my feed is the children's choir who sang the national anthem and another third is praise for McMorrow. She may not have gotten a prime slot but she still hit a home run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 20, 2024 1:10 AM

Lis Smith does consulting for McMorrow. I predict a Congressional run after McMorrow finishes her MI state senate career.

by Anonymousreply 46August 20, 2024 1:27 AM

[quote] These men have since been exonerated.

[quote] At the time, then-businessman Donald Trump took out ads in multiple newspapers calling for the boys to receive the death penalty.

[quote] The boys were just 14 to 16 years old at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2024 1:38 AM

I wish there had been fewer speakers, since the momentum provided by Hillary is slumbering. Not a good look for primetime viewing.

by Anonymousreply 48August 20, 2024 3:13 AM

Grindr at the DNC:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 21, 2024 8:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!