Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

I watched this for the first time last night and oh wow, what a fun and beautiful film.

Luis Buñuel directs a truly all star cast; Delphine Seyrig, Paul Frankeur, Stéphane Audran, Jean-Pierre Cassel, Bulle Ogier, Julien Bertheau, Michel Piccoli, and Fernando Rey

The film makes absolute no sense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2024 3:54 AM

It IS The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2024 9:01 PM

This might be up my alley. Thanks, OP, as I had never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2024 9:03 PM

R2 It is a fun French film, a lot of good sex, food, and drinking

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2024 9:06 PM

A French movie? You're going to wake up the Alain Delon troll.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2024 9:10 PM

It is an absurdist take on a certain set. Think Sondheim’s “Company” or Wolfe’s “Radical Chic”.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2024 9:10 PM

It's more like Three's Company.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2024 9:13 PM

“What a disappointment.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2024 9:13 PM

R7 lol that was funny

"More wine?"

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2024 9:27 PM

The wonderful trailer made for the 2012 40th Anniversary reissue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2024 10:02 PM

An absolute favorite film for which i have great affection. I've seen it at least once a year for almost 50 years. Barely a day goes by that the film doesn't come to mind.

At 17 and a couple months into college, a small group of friends and I went to see this as the first in a retrospective of Buñuel in a nearby city. The film was then 5 years old but new to me and a great delight and ultimately a great influence.

I owe some not small gratitude to Buñuel for not expecting things to go to plan; in welcoming oddity and interruption and the absurd; in the value of listening to stories; in that death is never far off nor any moment unimportant. And for the images of smartly dressed French people marking briskly along a country road, of Fernando Rey's strange presence, of ghosts among the living; of manners and building facades and the things they hide...

Buñuel's films are favorites, and this one above all for me.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2024 10:27 PM

Making no sense was a thing for a while especially in Europe. Dada in art, Bunuel and Godard in film, Beckett in literature etc.

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2024 10:49 PM

I'm fairly obsessed with Delphine Seyrig since seeing "Daughters of Darkness."

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2024 11:20 PM

A movie that has stuck with me and a great movie to show someone new to the concept of surrealism.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2024 11:27 PM

R12 Have you seen Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles ?????/

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2024 11:32 PM

R14 Not yet! But I have watched the potato peeling more than once - lol

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2024 1:55 AM

The Graduate is better.

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2024 1:56 AM

[quote] lol

LoL! :)

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2024 1:57 AM

[quote] lol

LoL! :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2024 1:57 AM

Milena Vukotic (89) and Bulle Ogier (85) are still alive and working.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2024 3:08 AM

Bulle Ogier was Florence, the fun loving/drunk one!

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2024 3:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!