Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I thought the late John Mahoney was gay, but his Wikipedia article scrubs any mention of homosexuality.

It seems like a studio system-era pinkwash:

[quote]Mahoney rarely spoke publicly about his private life,[6] and he died without marrying or having any children.[35] In 2002, he said, "I was never very mature in my relationships with women. First sign of conflict, I was gone. Wouldn't discuss it, because I was afraid it would lead to an argument." This stemmed from a fear of having an unhappy marriage like the one his parents had, though Mahoney did previously have "several long-term relationships".

[quote]He was a Catholic who called Christianity "probably the most important facet of my life": before each of his performances, he would pray "Most glorious blessed spirit, I thank you for all the gifts and talents that you've given me. Please help me to use all these gifts and talents to their fullest. And please accept this performance as a prayer of praise and thanks to you". Mahoney would also say prayers upon waking up and before going to sleep daily, and would repeatedly pray "Dear God, please help me to treat everybody – including myself – with love, respect, and dignity."[36]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 11, 2024 9:27 PM

I'm pretty sure he was a pussy hound.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2024 11:54 AM

‘Conflict’ is an interesting euphemism for ‘vagina’.

Yeah, this was re-edited by an ashamed Irish Catholic family.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2024 11:55 AM

He was, in fact, gay. Everyone knew, and he never denied it.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2024 11:55 AM

Frasier was the gayest set ever!

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2024 11:57 AM

[quote]To the surprise of much of the public, when he died many tributes noted that he had lived privately as a gay man and was a well-known fixture on the Chicago LGBTQ scene. He may well have been at home working with such openly gay actors as David Hyde Pierce and Edward Hibbert on Frasier, but never chose to discuss his sexuality in interviews. However, there may have been a hint of his inclination in a role that he took in a 2006 episode of the medical drama ER, in which he plays a gay man and former drag queen whose partner is dying of heart trouble, but whose family are reluctant to acknowledge their relationship

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2024 11:59 AM

Sorry — link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2024 11:59 AM

He was gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2024 12:01 PM

From r7's article: "Twenty-three years ago I had cancer of the colon. I had to have major surgery, and I have a colostomy. I really couldn’t have sex after that."

If that's true, then I can see him just checking out of sex altogether. Who cares what gets you off if you can't get off.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2024 12:11 PM

He was so clearly gay to me in The Broken Hearts Club.

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2024 12:16 PM

It's "Fauxpedia" dear. You can make him anything ya want.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2024 1:01 PM

[quote]"Twenty-three years ago I had cancer of the colon. I had to have major surgery, and I have a colostomy. I really couldn’t have sex after that."

Why -- did they remove his mouth too?

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2024 2:33 PM

It's conceivable he decided he'd had good sex and that it was good time to gracefully retire. Don't forget his cancer surgery was during the plague years.

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2024 3:09 PM

All actors are bisexual-it’s a prerequisite.

by Anonymousreply 13August 12, 2024 12:49 AM

I wonder who he left his estate and residuals to?

by Anonymousreply 14August 12, 2024 3:17 AM

I hope he gave his nephews herpes.

by Anonymousreply 15August 12, 2024 3:23 AM

Sad that he's being "inned" even after his death

by Anonymousreply 16August 12, 2024 3:27 AM

[quote] It's "Fauxpedia" dear. You can make him anything ya want.

Wrong. Wikipedia only allows reliable sources. You can’t post whatever you want or hearsay.

by Anonymousreply 17August 12, 2024 4:07 AM

[quote]You can’t post whatever you want or hearsay.

You can, but they have fairly rapid fact checking and quick removal. But I’ve seen some wrong facts remain for a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 18August 12, 2024 11:51 AM

R9- Patrick Stewart was so clearly gay to me in Jeffrey (1995).

by Anonymousreply 19August 12, 2024 12:16 PM

Major pussy hound. Big Bush supporter.

by Anonymousreply 20August 12, 2024 12:23 PM

He was gay. I doubt he would ever identify as "queer," a term which the author of the article uses with abandon and little thought of how a gay man of his generation would see himself.

by Anonymousreply 21August 12, 2024 12:28 PM

He was gay, but I don't think he ever spoke about it in print or in public, and Wiki wants verifiable sources, so that may explain the absence of any mention in his Wikipedia article.

by Anonymousreply 22September 11, 2024 4:08 PM

if he was conflict-averse then surprise surprise he never came out publicly. look what happened to Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 23September 11, 2024 4:43 PM

He was gay and lived with his long-term partner in Oak Park where they were active supporters of the local food pantry and other charities. I personally dealt wit the lover when he bought a van for the food bank. When John died his partner did not want to out John and refused all interviews. Everyone reluctantly supported that decision, which will lead to controversy about his sexual orientation forever.

by Anonymousreply 24September 11, 2024 4:53 PM

He was in a relationship with Sheldon Patinkin, cousin to Mandy.

by Anonymousreply 25September 11, 2024 5:09 PM

Sheldon died 4 years after John. Im guessing thats not the partner that R24 is referring to then.

by Anonymousreply 26September 11, 2024 5:27 PM

"look what happened to Ellen."

Yeah. She went from mediocre sitcom actress to billionaire. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 27September 11, 2024 8:35 PM

His name was Bernie Dowling. This is as close to an acknowledgement as you're going to get.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 11, 2024 8:41 PM

He was gay. I live in Chicago and saw him attending several plays with his lover, who was a big fattie! But seemed like a nice guy. So did Mahoney.

by Anonymousreply 29September 11, 2024 8:47 PM

Oak Park is a nice place. I wish I could have lived there.

I suppose if my poop chute was ripped out I probably wouldn't care much for sex, either.

by Anonymousreply 30September 11, 2024 9:13 PM

Shall we join the ladies and make one big lady?

by Anonymousreply 31September 11, 2024 9:20 PM

BTW - Bernie died in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 32September 11, 2024 9:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!