Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Remembering Sharon Tate on the 55th Anniversary of her Death

Reportedly a very kind, gentle soul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212August 19, 2024 3:12 AM

Oh goody good witchy fun nothing better than a DL Manson thread! Fuck the Pigs!

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2024 1:50 AM

I think Rose Byrne would have made a better Sharon in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood than Margot. Too bad the movie wasn’t filmed a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2024 1:53 AM

She looks much more beautiful in candid shots than in any of the posed ones. Very modern. What a tragedy for her and her child. Imagining the terror she and the others must have felt in their final moments kept me up at night when I first read about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2024 1:59 AM

Could we please stop focusing only on the beautiful pregnant actress and include the rest of the victims that died that day?

Abigail Folger, Wojciech Frykowski, Steven Parent, Jay Sebring

It's the anniversary of their death too, but they weren't so beautiful or pregnant, so I guess the media can forget about them.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2024 2:01 AM

Jay Sebring was a hot little pocket gay. He was the second hottest so we should talk about him the second most. How would you rank them in hotness?

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2024 2:08 AM

She had an exquisite face, like an American Catherine Deneuve. No one since has had that look. Margot Robbie is a different kind of gorgeous but even she didn’t match the radiance of Sharon. Absolutely monstrous what happened to her. I think the feeling of helplessness had to have been the worst part.

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2024 2:11 AM

She made a sexy splash in The Last of the Fearless Vampire Killers. I was an adolescent and I remember her clearly in the film (then making rounds of the art theaters) and some pics from it in Playboy. In a time of free love, she was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2024 2:12 AM

Lucy would've been there, but Gary talked her out of it.

And then we got Mame.

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2024 2:22 AM

Jay Sebring was a principal on an episode of To Tell the Truth.

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2024 2:27 AM

Didn't know he was in education before becoming a hairdresser.

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2024 2:31 AM

Sharon Tate's sister Patti was a near dead ringer for her--like Sharon, she died far too young:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2024 2:32 AM

Sharon went to school at the same elementary school at the same time as eventual (record holder) serial killer Dean Corll- South Shaver Elementary in Pasadena, Texas (Urban Cowboy was filmed there).

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2024 2:34 AM

You know they've done two Manson Murder movies. I'm not talking about Brad Pitt and Leo, I'm talking about two made for TV movies. I remember really liking the first one I saw with Steven Railsback as Charlie Manson. The second version wasn't as good IMO. But I wish they would make a real movie about it with decent actors and a well written story. It could be really good.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2024 2:37 AM

R4 Even the police officer who discovered the bodies couldn’t help but remark on how “gorgeous” she was.

I think it was partially due to her angelic and innocent face. The heinous and seemingly satanic nature of the crime juxtaposed with her “purity” symbolized the ultimate atrocity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2024 2:41 AM

I had the distinct displeasure of seeing the crime scene photos in person and I wish I could delete that memory from my brain.

Went to the Museum of Death (on the insistence of a friend who is a true crime fan) not knowing it was gonna be a Museum of Random Serial Killer Memorabilia.

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2024 2:46 AM

I see a lot of people blame Roman Polanski’s predatory behavior on her death but he had told Sharon to abort their baby and when she didn’t he went to London to publicly cheat on her. It’s so sad to think she was being abused by that monster in the final months of her life.

by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2024 2:49 AM

Sharon’s own words told me all I need to know about Polanski being a horrible person. “We have a great arrangement. Roman lies to me and I pretend to believe him.”

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2024 2:56 AM

There's an excellent podcast You Must Remember Manson series by Karina Longworth, where she goes into exceptional detail about Manson but has a couple of episodes specifically around Sharon, Roman, their relationship and Roman afterwards. Roman was indeed a terrible person and husband to Sharon.

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2024 2:58 AM

Her final scene in VOD is very touching.

by Anonymousreply 20August 10, 2024 2:59 AM

Funny you should mention that, r4. I re-read Helter Skelter recently and Sharon Tate gets way more of a background story than the other victims. There's definitely this unspoken understanding that she was the "main" victim of the Manson murders.

by Anonymousreply 21August 10, 2024 3:03 AM

[quote]But I wish they would make a real movie about it with decent actors and a well written story. It could be really good.

Maybe in 10-15 years when most or all of those involved are dead. Tarantino had to do a lot of work to smooth things over with the families.

by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2024 3:08 AM

R21 It happened at her home, after all.

by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2024 3:11 AM

Her final moments were harrowing. She was the last to die, having witnessed the deaths of everyone before her. She pleaded to give birth to her baby, saying, “and then you can kill me.” But they showed no mercy, and she screamed “mother, mother” as they stabbed her to death.

by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2024 3:11 AM

If she wasn't a celebrity no one would even be talking about this 55 years later.

by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2024 3:15 AM

I think it's more what Tarantino was saying: it changed LA a s changed celebrity. It's like Kent State in the sense that it ended the 60's for that part of life.

by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2024 3:20 AM

Rose Byrne and Keira Knightley are the only modern actresses who resemble Sharon, imo. Both too old for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, of course. All three have an ethereal, otherworldly, doe-eyed beauty that’s hard to replicate.

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2024 3:27 AM

R25 But she was jackass, she was. She was murdered for being a celeb living in Beverly Hills.

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2024 3:35 AM

They were renting the house and had been living there for less than 6 months, r23. The house wasn't targeted because of her.

by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2024 3:40 AM

R28 what language are you speaking?

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2024 3:40 AM

She was probably murdered for living in the house that was previously rented to Terry Melcher, who Manson felt burned him on a record deal. Susan Atkins said the murders were done to "instill fear" in Melcher. Manson was reported to have visited the house on more than one occasion asking for Melcher, but was told that Melcher had moved. Rudi Altobelli owned the house.

by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2024 3:42 AM

Gorgeous, yet kind face (that’s unusual). Liz Taylor had Sharon cut from The Sandpiper. When Debra Tate later asked her about it, Liz replied, "Of course I had Sharon cut from the film. Have you seen your sister?"

by Anonymousreply 32August 10, 2024 3:43 AM

Who dat? She dead or summin?

by Anonymousreply 33August 10, 2024 3:45 AM

R29 I didn't say the house was targeted because of her. I was responding to someone who mentioned she got more coverage in the book Helter Skelter than the other murder victims. I was suggesting part of the reason for this may have been that it was her home, the house she and Polanski were renting. Another couple (Folger and Frykowski) were living there as guests, and the other person was visiting her. I. e she was the host.

by Anonymousreply 34August 10, 2024 3:45 AM

R30 English Blanche, English.

by Anonymousreply 35August 10, 2024 3:46 AM

*I. e., she was the host that night.

by Anonymousreply 36August 10, 2024 3:46 AM

Sharon Tate was absolutely beautiful and all the blonde bombshells in the decade to come do not even compare. Sharon Stone came close. Margot Robbie is on her level of beauty tho.

by Anonymousreply 37August 10, 2024 3:47 AM

Margot Robbie is very pretty but she is absolutely not on Sharon Tate’s level of beauty. To be fair, almost no one is.

by Anonymousreply 38August 10, 2024 3:49 AM

Anna Nicole Smith was the only modern blonde on her level

by Anonymousreply 39August 10, 2024 3:54 AM

There’s a social media group, not sure which one, of her classmates at Pasadena (TX) High School discussing her. She had made cheerleader her freashman year, then they suddenly moved. Her classmates described her is very glowing terms- sweet, beautiful, effervescent.

by Anonymousreply 40August 10, 2024 3:55 AM

Jesus - can’t DL let this bland, deadbeat actress DIE?

by Anonymousreply 41August 10, 2024 4:01 AM

R25, whether or not Sharon had been one of the victims, this was such a heinous crime they would still be discussing it now. They just had another thread about the Los Feliz murder house which happened in 1959. No celebs just a dad with a hammer and a mission.

by Anonymousreply 42August 10, 2024 4:03 AM

R42 I had never hear of that murder until I read that thread.

by Anonymousreply 43August 10, 2024 4:04 AM

R41 A legendary beauty, a legendary crime. No, she will be talked about until the end of time. Unfortunately not for the reasons she would have liked.

by Anonymousreply 44August 10, 2024 4:04 AM

You know how bitchy fags can be.

by Anonymousreply 45August 10, 2024 4:05 AM

R41 Why do you call her a deadbeat?

by Anonymousreply 46August 10, 2024 4:05 AM

A few years ago her sister auctioned off all of her personal belongings, including things like used makeup, lingerie and perfume. Was she really that hard up for cash? I remember reading Kim Kardashian bought several items. Dumpy Kim couldn’t even fit half a tit in Tate’s brassiere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 10, 2024 4:36 AM

[quote]r46 Why do you call her a deadbeat?

Because she was virtually talent free.

by Anonymousreply 48August 10, 2024 4:45 AM

Only on DL would a an old queen call beautiful ass viciously murdered Sharon Tate a deadbeat because she wasn’t the greatest dramatic actress. Too funny.

by Anonymousreply 49August 10, 2024 4:59 AM

R48 Not true. She would have blossomed into a fine comedic actress.

by Anonymousreply 50August 10, 2024 5:01 AM

I thought Sharon gave the most effective - and affecting - performance in VOTD. Considering Patty Duke's laughably histrionic acting and Barbara Parkins' wooden delivery, that might not be saying much, but still. Sharon was only 26 when she was killed, so we'll never know the full extent of her talent or what she may have achieved. I didn't think Farrah Fawcett could act her way out of a paper bag until I saw her in Extremities, and she was 40 then.

by Anonymousreply 51August 10, 2024 5:13 AM

R48 I think of a deadbeat as someone who avoids responsibilities or doesn't pay bills or debts, or child support.

by Anonymousreply 52August 10, 2024 5:13 AM

Check this out. So glad it didn't move forward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 10, 2024 5:16 AM

R53 Sharon's life was relatively unremarkable, notable mainly for her beauty and her tragic demise. It's hard to understand the appeal of a biopic about her unless it's a horribly exploitative recreation of *that* night, like the ill-conceived Hilary Duff turkey from a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 54August 10, 2024 5:21 AM

I'm in my 60s and readily accept or enjoy a lot of current films, TV, music etc. but I don't get what Tarantino is driving at. I like OUATIH but why does he sort of slavishly recreate the events and atmosphere, then change history at the end? I was with the film until then. (I know he has done this before but truthfully I don't go to a lot of his movies, I don't care for them.) I felt like I sat through a whole, realistic recreation of the late '60s and events leading up to the Manson murders only to suddenly be watching a cartoon at the end.

by Anonymousreply 55August 10, 2024 5:24 AM

R54 Unremarkable? She is considered one of the most beautiful women of all time. She was an up and coming actress. She was married to the legend Roman Polanski. She was murdered by one of the most famous cults of all time. If you read the stories of those who knew her in Pasadena, TX, and other places, she had a very interesting life destined for stardom.

by Anonymousreply 56August 10, 2024 5:26 AM

R56 Sorry, I stand by what I said. I don’t think there’s enough material for a Sharon Tate biopic that doesn’t include sex, drugs, rock n roll and murder. And given that the Bosworth movie was endorsed by Debra Tate as a “proper, respectful” portrayal I have to imagine it would have been pretty dull.

by Anonymousreply 57August 10, 2024 5:31 AM

Kate Bosworth??? Isn’t she in her 40s? Young Keira Knightley really would have been the perfect choice for a Sharon biopic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 10, 2024 5:38 AM

Keira has that jaw thing (mandible) going on. You'd have to shoot her at very specific angles. Even Margot Robbie has a few unflattering angles, but Tarantino was able to capture her in a flattering light.

by Anonymousreply 59August 10, 2024 5:51 AM

Debra Tate recalls the immediate aftermath of Sharon’s death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 10, 2024 5:54 AM

R59, Sharon Tate had a strong jaw and chin also

by Anonymousreply 61August 10, 2024 5:54 AM

Larry Tate was a good actor as well.

by Anonymousreply 62August 10, 2024 10:36 AM

Jay Sebring on TTTT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 10, 2024 1:10 PM

R61, not comparable. Keira's jaw issue makes her look as if she also has an underbite. Sharon's jaw was in proportion to her features and facial structure. To each their own.

by Anonymousreply 64August 10, 2024 1:15 PM

Disneyland's Haunted Mansion opened for the first time on the same day.

by Anonymousreply 65August 10, 2024 1:45 PM

I was eight years old the first time my family took a vacation in 1969 and we went to Los Angeles. We were there for about three weeks in July, I remember watching the moon landing on the motel room TV. The Manson murders happened a couple of days after we got back and my mom freaked the fuck out about it and said we were never going back there for vacation.

by Anonymousreply 66August 10, 2024 2:34 PM

[quote]Keira Knightley

That untalented Olmec Head bitch?

by Anonymousreply 67August 10, 2024 2:34 PM

R66 so your mom basically was the first Frau MARY.

by Anonymousreply 68August 10, 2024 2:44 PM

R41 is a fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 69August 10, 2024 3:15 PM

From what I recall reading about the case, Charles Manson fancied himself a song writer/musician and he had been to that house more than once trying to get something happening for his "recording career" because one of the Beach Boys or someone connected to them lived there. I think Doris Day's son, Terry Melcher, a marginally successful as a record producer, met with Charlie at the house or he owned the house, or something, anyway, Charles was never taken seriously and he was roundly dismissed by those people and so he chose that house hoping to get back at them. But of course they had moved on and Sharon and Roman had the house.

by Anonymousreply 70August 10, 2024 4:34 PM

Dennis Wilson.

Read the "Manson Family" section:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 10, 2024 4:47 PM

I still think it’s disgusting that Leslie Van Houten was granted parole. Who cares if she’s “reformed” or “found god” or whatever she claims. When are Sharon Tate and the others going to be granted parole and come home?

by Anonymousreply 72August 10, 2024 6:03 PM

And to think Leslie Van Houten now walks free. I hope she has a miserable existence.

by Anonymousreply 73August 10, 2024 6:24 PM

Someone on DL was able to find a site that showed movies.All kinds, foreign, American old and new, and Helter Skelter was on it. I also have one other, it's a serial killer movie about Ted Bundy called The Deliberate Stranger with Mark Harmon. It was really good. I wish I could remember the site

by Anonymousreply 74August 10, 2024 8:05 PM

R39, Anna Nicoke had a major gummy smile that took her outside the Tate realm of utter flawless gorgeousness. Also, she was at times fat.

by Anonymousreply 75August 10, 2024 9:19 PM

And Ana couldn’t act for shit. It would have been a trainwreck. And she wasn’t as pretty.

by Anonymousreply 76August 10, 2024 9:22 PM

[quote] I remember reading Kim Kardashian bought several items. Dumpy Kim couldn’t even fit half a tit in Tate’s brassiere.

Kim always trying to cash in on dead, blonde, beauties.

by Anonymousreply 77August 10, 2024 9:31 PM

John Phillips of rhe Mamas and Papas related a story in his autobiography about riding in a car with 12 year old Patti Tate, Sharon's sister, after the murders and being pursued by a man following them in a car. He had Patti holding a gun(!). Wtf was that about?

I've always find Sharon's sister Debra to be such a tragic figure. She's the last survivor of her immediate family. Some of her remebrances are hard to swallow - she claims she arranged (as a 17 year old) to be allowed to visit Manson in prison, sitting across from him with no words spoken. Would her parents or the police have allowed this? C'mon on. She did appaently spend time at Cielo the summer Sharon was gone, Gibby Folger taking her around to prospective private schools where Deb could attend her senior year. Gibby had graduated from Crystal Springs, an exclusive Catholic girls school (Patty Hearst attended in the 70's), where Sharon Gless was a classmate. Debra said Sharon was her buffer from her strict parents. Debra later posed for Oui, dated Arnold Schwartzenger, became a make up artist and was estranged from her family.

by Anonymousreply 78August 11, 2024 2:13 AM

I forever remember that day. I learned what a horrible world we live in. It was shocking. Soon after that, there was the first “ mass murder “ I remember .

A bobs big boy in west l.a. on Robertson . I remember hearing that the shooter “ herded the employees” into the freezer and shot and killed them.

It was welcome to the horrors of the world 101 in LA

by Anonymousreply 79August 11, 2024 6:36 AM

She wasn't more beautiful than Keira Knightley and others. She most resembles Rose Byrne, who's very attractive but has an individual look.

by Anonymousreply 80August 11, 2024 8:15 AM

I like her painted on “ Twiggy” eyelashes on the lower lid. I watched my sister paint hers on .

by Anonymousreply 81August 11, 2024 9:54 AM

R80, she certainly was more beautiful than Knightley and Rose Byrne.

by Anonymousreply 82August 11, 2024 2:13 PM

"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" is one of the rare instances where the character (of Sharon Tate) was played by someone *less* attractive.

by Anonymousreply 83August 11, 2024 3:05 PM

I guess, R83, but Robbie is still maybe one of the most beautiful women on the earth.

by Anonymousreply 84August 11, 2024 3:10 PM

No doubt about it, R84.

by Anonymousreply 85August 11, 2024 3:12 PM

People who follow the Manson murders closely can be extremely touchy.

by Anonymousreply 86August 11, 2024 3:14 PM

[quote] "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" is one of the rare instances where the character (of Sharon Tate) was played by someone *less* attractive.

True also of anyone who plays JFK, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 87August 11, 2024 3:25 PM

Ms Debra Tate, y'all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 11, 2024 5:25 PM

One of the weirdest people circulating in the Manson family murder community is Rosie Tate Polanski, who claims to be the fetus Sharon was carrying when she was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 89August 11, 2024 5:30 PM

So, she transitioned in the womb, R89? Sharon would have given birth to a boy.

by Anonymousreply 90August 11, 2024 5:55 PM

Not if the knife hit just so, R90.

by Anonymousreply 91August 11, 2024 5:56 PM

I can’t find the clip, but here is the lunatic, Rosie Tate Polanski

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92August 11, 2024 6:01 PM

That's hilarious, R92. I wonder how she thought she was born, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 93August 11, 2024 6:06 PM

And the poor kid probably would have had a beautiful face and a nose like a shark fin.

by Anonymousreply 94August 11, 2024 6:18 PM

R94, why a shark fin?

by Anonymousreply 95August 11, 2024 6:19 PM

Cannot talk about the Tate sisters without remembering Larry King's infamous interview of Debra at a time when talk of extraditing Roman Polanski was in the news. When Debra mentioned speaking to Polanski, the famously unprepared Larry asked her if it was hard to have a civil conversation with someone "who so brutally murdered" her sister. An astonished Debra said, "Roman Polanski didn't murder my sister." Larry then awkwardly to recover from his utterly mindless question.

by Anonymousreply 96August 11, 2024 7:56 PM

^ tried to recover

by Anonymousreply 97August 11, 2024 8:23 PM

Wow that Qui article on Deb Tate.....she was Madonna before Madonna was Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 98August 12, 2024 1:03 AM

I loved the house!

by Anonymousreply 99August 12, 2024 1:23 AM

Was Sharon Tate on bewitched?

by Anonymousreply 100August 12, 2024 1:24 AM

That was Larry Tate.

by Anonymousreply 101August 12, 2024 1:25 AM

She was so beautiful

by Anonymousreply 102August 12, 2024 1:26 AM

What was her face shape?

by Anonymousreply 103August 12, 2024 1:38 AM

She was the least experienced actress in Valley of the Dolls and the only one who managed to come across as a real human being.

by Anonymousreply 104August 12, 2024 1:42 AM

I loved OUATIH. In the scene outside the movie theater, the ticket booth employee asks Sharon to pose for a photo by the poster of her movie so “people will know who she is.” Chilling.

by Anonymousreply 105August 12, 2024 2:01 AM

Her face was perfect but it lacked any character. It was bland. Blank. Like a beautiful mannequin. She was typical of her times too, one of those really beautiful girls who never had to develop a personality.

by Anonymousreply 106August 12, 2024 2:02 AM

[quote]Was Sharon Tate on bewitched?

She was a semi-regular on The Beverly Hillbillies, r100. She was a secretary in Mr Drysdale's bank.

by Anonymousreply 107August 12, 2024 8:54 AM

R106 YOU ARE NUTS. She was flawless.

by Anonymousreply 108August 12, 2024 12:03 PM

There's always some critics of beauty like R106 offering their two-bit opinions.

by Anonymousreply 109August 12, 2024 12:29 PM

Who in their right mind would cast fucking Hilary Duff to play Sharon? This movie was so bad, critics called it offensive to her memory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 12, 2024 1:50 PM

I would have expected more from a Hillary Duff horror film...

by Anonymousreply 111August 12, 2024 3:44 PM

Why, R111?

by Anonymousreply 112August 12, 2024 4:23 PM

Tate was beautiful but in a sexy movie-starlet kind of way. Always with the mouth slightly open. I don't think she was classically beautiful like a Greta Garbo or Hedy Lamarr.

by Anonymousreply 113August 12, 2024 4:25 PM

Oh, brother, R113.

by Anonymousreply 114August 12, 2024 4:26 PM

[quote]r110 Who in their right mind would cast fucking Hilary Duff to play Sharon?

Hillary Duff is quite beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 12, 2024 7:39 PM

Sharon Tate = Vapid

by Anonymousreply 116August 12, 2024 9:48 PM

The anonymous queen at R116, who's on DL, no less, has the nerve to call someone he's never met "vapid." That's the pot calling the kettle, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 117August 12, 2024 10:35 PM

Sharon Tate WAS a valid actress, tho.

She was certainly exceptionally pretty, and by all accounts a lovely person… but it’s not like she exactly set the screen on fire.

by Anonymousreply 118August 12, 2024 10:54 PM

^^ Oh lord - r117 will like that!

I meant “was a [bold]VAPID [/bold]actress, tho” not “was a VALID actress, tho”

by Anonymousreply 119August 12, 2024 10:57 PM

R118 Her work has been reevaluated and many critics think she was well on her way to being a good actress. Her main problem, according to directors, was her timidity and shyness. She was gaining confidence and many feel she had it to have a long, healthy career.

by Anonymousreply 120August 12, 2024 11:04 PM

She worked in movie for literally 3 years, she was just beginning to have a career. The movies were vapid, and if she had had time she would have developed as an actress. She actually had a nice comedic flair, as evidenced in The Wrecking Crew, and as someone else pointed out, in VOTD she was the only one of the four main actresses to create a character you could remotely care about, and that's not vapid. Judging her by that tiny oeuvre of work is even more vapid.

by Anonymousreply 121August 12, 2024 11:05 PM

Sharon’s mother, Doris Tate, was an absolute force of nature. Unyielding and fiercely protective of her daughter, she became a formidable advocate for victims’ rights. Doris played a pivotal role in enabling family members to speak at parole hearings, transforming the justice system for countless others. Despite enduring an unimaginable loss that could have shattered her, she chose instead to channel her grief into a relentless fight for Sharon and victims everywhere.

I am always struck by her response to interviewers hesitant to delve into the details of the murder: “It's fine. Nothing you say can be worse than what I've imagined.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 12, 2024 11:10 PM

In that interview, Doris herself describes Sharon as naive. She says that Sharon wanted Abigail Folger and Voytek Frykowski out of the house and was desperate for Roman to return and ask them to leave. It seems Sharon was too passive/kind to ask them to leave herself.

by Anonymousreply 123August 12, 2024 11:21 PM

R88 There is no bigger hypocrite than Debra Tate. I’m sure she comforted Roman often. She feeds off the death of her sister. Mom Doris was a badass and revolutionized victim's rights. When it became clear she was dying she made sure that Patti became the next designated rep at the parole hearings of the killers. It was too much for Paul Tate and Debra could not be counted on. The fact that NOW Debra attends has as much to do with attention seeking as it does anything else- it was NOT what Doris or Paul would have wanted because they knew she was unreliable. So many things she’s done are questionable.

by Anonymousreply 124August 12, 2024 11:43 PM

Also, Debra made money from Tarantino. She ended up getting 50 grand and suddenly stopped bashing the movie, which she had been doing for months prior. She does not own the rights to Sharon’s image or anything else. Patti’s kids do and they have most of Sharon’s belongings. Debra got a suitcase full of her things and sold all of it. She also did that nude layout in Oui a couple years after the murders, going by “Sharon Tate’s sister.” She was taken out of her parents’ will and refused to follow her father’s wishes and bury him with Doris and Sharon. The grandkids still have no idea where his ashes are. She’s a homophobe and hated Patti because she lived with a woman. Debra has not spoken to Patti’s kids since Patti died. She’s doesn’t work and has lived off Sharon’s murder her entire life.

by Anonymousreply 125August 12, 2024 11:49 PM

Did she really have feet that dirty but put them up in the movie theater? That’s kind of shocking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 12, 2024 11:55 PM

Doris Tate at Tex Watson's parole hearing. She was so fierce. Thanks to Doris, that monster was denied parole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 13, 2024 12:00 AM

R126, I've read Tarantino has a foot fetish. He probably instructed the makeup dept. to make her feet look that way.

by Anonymousreply 128August 13, 2024 12:48 AM

R127, I remember that video. I especially admire her cool demeanor when discussing her daughter's death at the hands of this man.

I hate when families of the victims stand up in court and become emotional or angry when they speak to the killer before sentencing. I think killers feed off of the victims' loved one's pain and they get off on it. Doris denied this sadist that cheap thrill. Brava!

by Anonymousreply 129August 13, 2024 12:58 AM

R95, the fetus had a father.

by Anonymousreply 130August 13, 2024 1:16 AM

Who are all of Sharon Tate's lookalikes?

by Anonymousreply 131August 13, 2024 4:22 AM

[quote]r She worked in movies for literally 3 years, she was just beginning to have a career.

Well, she started acting for TV in 1963. So her career really spanned closer to 7 years, not just 3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 13, 2024 5:18 AM

“Movies for 3 years”

by Anonymousreply 133August 13, 2024 6:42 AM

Her first major role in a movie was "Eye of the Devil" in 1967, so really only two years..

by Anonymousreply 134August 13, 2024 1:55 PM

And her voice was so inadequate in that she was dubbed.

Face it, her acting was shitty from the start, whether in film or TV.

by Anonymousreply 135August 13, 2024 3:20 PM

Your opinion, Mary R135.

by Anonymousreply 136August 13, 2024 3:41 PM

Yeah, in the past people were always saying, “Talk about the victims! Celebrate them!” Whenever anyone started talking about the Manson family. “Talk about Sharon Tate instead! Don’t glorify the killers!” They’d scold.

Now? You can’t even mention the Manson at all online with everyone glomming on to declare on and on about Sharon Tate and how she was the most beautiful and best actress of her time and it was all taken away. It’s a little much, and I think most people see through the disingenuousness of it.

by Anonymousreply 137August 13, 2024 4:02 PM

R137 And people are always repeating the grisly details of how she died over and over when she’s mentioned. It’s too much.

by Anonymousreply 138August 13, 2024 4:05 PM

I haven't seen it in years but I thought she was hilarious in The Fearless Vampire Killers.

by Anonymousreply 139August 13, 2024 4:09 PM

And The Wrecking Crew. Pay no attention to the pisspot "critic" above.

by Anonymousreply 140August 13, 2024 4:22 PM

I'm glad Bewitched avoided doing the very special episode nonsense. Dignified respect and silence. That's how it's done.

by Anonymousreply 141August 13, 2024 4:23 PM

Why'd she get married to Roman Polanski? He wasn't physically attractive. Was it a form of gold digging?

by Anonymousreply 142August 13, 2024 4:25 PM

No, R142. She genuinely loved him. Not every guy has to look like Robert Redford for women to be attracted to them. Plus Polanski had a tight little bod then and was probably really goods at being charming as well as good at sex. Also, he wasn't ugly.

by Anonymousreply 143August 13, 2024 4:30 PM

R73 Leslie Van Houton spent 52 years behind bars for a single mad act ahe commited at age 18, while on drugs and under the influence of a charismatic madman.

But for the noteriety of the case, she absolutely would have (and SHOULD have) been realeased in the '80s. But that didn't happen, because no governor wanted to be seen as the one who let a member of the Manson family free. She basically became a political prisoner.

I'm DELIGHTED she's finally, at long last been released. Americans are way too petty and vengeful.

by Anonymousreply 144August 13, 2024 4:35 PM

[quote] No, [R142]. She genuinely loved him. Not every guy has to look like Robert Redford for women to be attracted to them. Plus Polanski had a tight little bod then and was probably really goods at being charming as well as good at sex. Also, he wasn't ugly.

I would disagree. I think she wanted to further her acting career.

by Anonymousreply 145August 13, 2024 4:42 PM

Wrong, R145.

by Anonymousreply 146August 13, 2024 4:47 PM

If Tate wanted to further her career, she could have hooked up with someone who could have done a lot more for her. And if she had really wanted to be ambitious about her career she would not have gotten pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 147August 13, 2024 4:49 PM

Oh, Jesus, we can't be freed of the Leslie Van Houten troll even when it gets what it wants.

by Anonymousreply 148August 13, 2024 4:53 PM

Aren't they pathetic, R148? Van Houten was a "political prisoner"--oh, my sides! No, Mary, she was in jail for stabbing a woman about 16 times.

by Anonymousreply 149August 13, 2024 4:57 PM

NYT: Ms. Van Houten has not been shy about her role in the killings, saying in a parole board hearing in 2002 that she had pinned down Ms. LaBianca while another Manson family member, Patricia Krenwinkel, stabbed her in the collar bone. Charles D. Watson, another figure in the attack, stabbed Ms. LaBianca with a bayonet eight times before Ms. Van Houten then stabbed her in the abdomen 14 to 16 times.

by Anonymousreply 150August 13, 2024 4:59 PM

Yeah, Van Houten troll at R144, doesn't it suck when you commit a crime so infamous and heinous that it's a bad look to be released even after decades? She was no political prisoner. She did it to herself. She's damn lucky shew got out of jail at all.

by Anonymousreply 151August 13, 2024 5:04 PM

Sharon seemed to have a thing for short guys, Jay and Roman. I wonder if Beatty - a good pal - tried to hit on her. There was a rumor that Sharon had an affair with Christopher Jones while in Europe filming 13 Chairs, as a payback to Roman after finding out about several affairs he had.

by Anonymousreply 152August 13, 2024 8:17 PM

R148 why should I shut up about it if no one else is? God it's so depressing that even American gays are small minded and vengeful. You all have the mentailty of flyover fraus. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 153August 13, 2024 11:50 PM

See ya.

by Anonymousreply 154August 14, 2024 12:07 AM

R153, let us know where you live, and we'll send her on over. Keep those kitchen knives in a safe place though, because you never know when Leslie might get a hankering for the good old days.

Lastly, you're a sociopathic asshole trying to emulate the emotion of empathy in order defend a cold-blooded killer.

by Anonymousreply 155August 14, 2024 12:49 AM

Not defending her at all. Just taking all circumstances into account, and showing some mercy.

by Anonymousreply 156August 14, 2024 1:28 AM

Whoever recommended the Karina Longworth podcast upthread on Roman and Sharon, thank you. Just finshed the 3 episodes on them. I had no idea Polanski was such a raging asshole. He was quite mentally and emotionally abusive to her. Openly flouted fucking others and demanding she accept and expect it, among other things. She was so much better off with Jay Sebring. I think she would have quickly come to that realization had she lived.

And Roman stating in his book that when he last saw Sharon he "had a premonition that it would be the last time I would see her" was ridiculous. Especially coming from him, he prided himself on having zero sentimentality (ex. Started fucking new bitches a month after Sharon died).

Just a fucking gross weirdo all around.

by Anonymousreply 157August 14, 2024 1:46 AM

[quote]R137 You can’t even mention the Manson at all online with everyone glomming on to declare on and on about Sharon Tate and how she was the most beautiful and best actress of her time and it was all taken away. It’s a little much

In her podcast episode about Sharon Tate, Karina Longworth points out how even though we think great beauty assures people happiness and success, it had not brought this actress a great marriage, a great career, or great riches.

Which is really quite depressing. Like, you can look like Sharon Tate and still have a cheating husband and mediocre movie options.

by Anonymousreply 158August 14, 2024 1:59 AM

Sharon has been reevaluated as an actress and most critics feel she had real potential. She was too nice. She was too shy. That was holding her back. She was gaining confidence before she was killed. For someone so beautiful it is endearing she was so timid and shy. She was a genuine good soul. So many in Hollywood attest to this. Mia Farrow said she was one of the sweetest, most pure souls she’d ever met. That’s hometown Pasadena, TX in her.

by Anonymousreply 159August 14, 2024 2:28 AM

R156, you show such mercy for someone who took pleasure in repeatedly plunging a knife into a fellow human being, yet you treat those who disagree with you with such disgust. Your posts are nothing, but condensing and judgmental diatribes directed against those with whom you disagree. Shame you can't apply the same mercy on others who do not fall into the cold-blooded killer category. "UGH"

In your Book: Murderer: 1. Decent People: 0

by Anonymousreply 160August 14, 2024 2:44 AM

R144 How would you feel if she had killed your parents?

by Anonymousreply 161August 14, 2024 5:41 AM

She was wonderful on Threes Company.

by Anonymousreply 162August 14, 2024 5:43 AM

I can't stand Karina Longworth's books or her podcast.

by Anonymousreply 163August 14, 2024 5:44 AM

R132 She never actually appeared on Petticoat Junction.

R114 Sorry, I never found her looks interesting. Can't explain it, just somewhat generic and nothing going on behind the eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164August 14, 2024 6:06 AM

[quote]R164 She never actually appeared on Petticoat Junction.

Was she fired from Petticoat Junction.because she couldn’t act?

That would really be a new low.

by Anonymousreply 165August 14, 2024 6:18 AM

Does anyone think that Julianne Moore looks like her?

by Anonymousreply 166August 14, 2024 6:20 AM

R165 I think she quit.

by Anonymousreply 167August 14, 2024 6:25 AM

So, why didn’t she join the Shady Rest Hotel? She actually completed some promotional shots for the show, but never filmed because it came out that she had done nude photos for Playboy. Producers didn’t want to risk losing their biggest sponsor, Ivory Soap, if and when word got out. Oddly enough, the switch might have been unnecessary, since years later their major spokes model Marilyn Chambers ended up doing a very similar shoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168August 14, 2024 6:55 AM

She was very beautiful in a bland, Hollywood way, and her career was mediocre at best. Whether or not it would have improved is up for speculation.She was, allegedly, a very nice person. She was like thousands of other girls of her time and before her time in Hollywood. What is truly tragic about her is that she will be remembered because of the murders.

by Anonymousreply 169August 14, 2024 2:44 PM

Bo Derek. Linda Evans. Same look.

by Anonymousreply 170August 14, 2024 4:03 PM

You can order a little Sharon Tate ragdoll, wearing the polka dot dress from the Helter Skelter book!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 14, 2024 4:19 PM

R166 Yes, quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 172August 14, 2024 6:24 PM

She was not bland at all. Just a very beautiful woman with a great body.

by Anonymousreply 173August 14, 2024 9:17 PM

I think the young Michelle Phillips was more striking-looking, in a way:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 14, 2024 9:27 PM

R160 you're full of shit.

"Took pleasure." No. That's not the story. Charles Manson told Tex Watson to make sure she did something. There are some reports that the wounds she inflicted were post mortem. I do not defend her actions. She participated in a horrible thing. But there are mitigating circumstances, and she paid substantially for her crime with 53 years of her life. Keeping her locked up is utterly pointless and cruel. Oh i can hear it now: what about how cruel SHE was? If the we the state can't be better, can't show more decency than the mad act of a teenager under the influence of Manson then I'm sorry I've lived so long.

Again, I'm DELIGHTED she got out because that was the merciful, decent move.

by Anonymousreply 175August 14, 2024 9:52 PM

I think we can all agree on your second last sentence, R175.

by Anonymousreply 176August 14, 2024 9:55 PM

R175, when you were 19 would you have stabbed a person repeatedly because someone told you to?

by Anonymousreply 177August 14, 2024 10:07 PM

I think a person who viciously stabs multiple people to death should stay behind bars..

That said, no other civilized country has such harsh sentences even for murder. Even for vicious murder.

by Anonymousreply 178August 14, 2024 10:28 PM

R177 I wonder if you refused to participate, if you would have made it back alive to Spahn Ranch. I'm not saying that's what VanHouten said or thought, but if something spiralled out of control, who knows. I know Van Houten said the knew there would be killing, so she cooked her own goose. She sort of knew months later about the guy who shot himself playing Russian Roulete, and clammed up after initially giving the police info. I just don't buy she was the butcher Atkins, Watson or Krenwinkel were.

by Anonymousreply 179August 14, 2024 10:57 PM

The "teenager" was 2 weeks away from her 20th birthday.

by Anonymousreply 180August 15, 2024 1:16 AM

The age of many people who are sophomores or juniors in college.

by Anonymousreply 181August 15, 2024 1:17 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182August 15, 2024 1:28 AM

The person saying Sharon was plain- STFU. The world thinks otherwise. You’ve been overruled.

by Anonymousreply 183August 15, 2024 1:29 AM

You MUST have my opinions and my tastes! I tolerate no disagreement!

by Anonymousreply 184August 15, 2024 1:48 AM

R170, I 100% agree about the physical similarities between Tate & Bo Derek.

I’ve read that Polanski was awful to her. Had she lived, she might have eventually gained enough confidence to dump him.

I appreciate Polanski’s work, but he is very well known for being a bastard towards women.

by Anonymousreply 185August 15, 2024 3:31 AM

[quote] She was very beautiful in a bland, Hollywood way

No, R169, beautiful is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 186August 15, 2024 4:25 AM

Yes, R169, so "blandly" beautiful. We should all be, including you.

STFU, you dumb queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187August 15, 2024 4:31 AM

Sharon's eye make up was something else. She was the long haired blonde ideal of the 60's, something she shared with her friends Mia Farrow - until she chopped her trademark hair off to piss off Sinatra - and Michelle Phillips, who gained fame before Sharon hit, looking wonderfully seductive on the album cover of Can You Believe Your Eyes and Ears. These ladies were not Doris Day, Liz taylor or Jackie Kennedy, they represented something new for the 60's.

by Anonymousreply 188August 15, 2024 9:37 AM

R188 Yep. The blonde, tanned California look that became popular in the 70s. Like Malibu Barbie. Allegedly Sharon was the inspiration for that doll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189August 15, 2024 4:33 PM

R188, Doris, Liz, and Jackie are all polar opposites.

by Anonymousreply 190August 15, 2024 4:54 PM

r190 DUH

by Anonymousreply 191August 15, 2024 5:59 PM

R191, I meant that Doris, Liz, and Jackie are all 3 very different women. They are not even in the same category.

Doris and Jackie were not known for their beauty like Liz was.

by Anonymousreply 192August 15, 2024 6:41 PM

I meant at the outset of the 60's women idolized Jackie, Doris and Liz - more than they did Marilyn. I'd say that women of my mother's age (she was born in 1928), whereas my sister (born in 1948) definitely idolized Mia and Michelle, and sort of Sharon. I remember Sharon on Playboy After Dark with Roman and thinking how beautiful she was, but a bit dim. My sister did copy her eye make up and my dad called her 'tarted up'.

by Anonymousreply 193August 15, 2024 11:57 PM

R193 They both seemed spaced out. Probably tripping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194August 16, 2024 1:04 AM

What does everyone think of her looks here?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195August 16, 2024 1:50 AM

Fixed...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196August 16, 2024 2:16 AM

Gorgeous as usual R195. Only a true beauty like Sharon could make a bad wig work for her.

by Anonymousreply 197August 16, 2024 3:17 AM

She was quite stunning in that Playboy After Dark clip.

by Anonymousreply 198August 16, 2024 7:47 AM

[quote] Probably tripping.

You sound like a fucking prude, R194. And no, they didn't look like they were tripping.

by Anonymousreply 199August 16, 2024 2:19 PM

R193 I think you're right, but I'm trying to think who my mom liked, since she was also born in 1928. Because she didn't particularly idolize those three (she liked Jackie -- and Jack -- but also said Jackie sounded just like Marilyn Monroe when she talked). She liked (but didn't adore) Doris Day. She liked Katharine Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine, Lee Grant, Shelley Winters, Maureen Stapleton. She also liked Judy Garland. That's all I remember.

by Anonymousreply 200August 17, 2024 1:38 PM

My mom was born in 1927 and she seemed critical of almost all female stars so it came as a surprise when she sobbed uncontrollably over Judy Garland's death.

My sister was born in 1946 and was definitely into the Sharon Tate look.

by Anonymousreply 201August 17, 2024 2:56 PM

I do remember my sister, a brunette, in the 60's dying her hair blonde and abandoning her flip to straighten her hair with an iron. I also remember my Mom's fury at her when she pierced my other sister's ears at home with rubbing alcohol and whatever she used to actually pierce them. The movie mags they had at the time seemed to always have Mia Farrow stories from the time she was on Peyton Place and her thing with Sinatra. All before The National Enquirer.

by Anonymousreply 202August 17, 2024 9:08 PM

Reportedly, Roman wanted Sharon to play Rosemary in Rosemary’s Baby, but the studio insisted on casting an established name. I can't help but wonder what Sharon might have brought to the role, given her ability to project a fragile, vulnerable aura.

by Anonymousreply 203August 17, 2024 9:14 PM

I've never heard of anyone saying Doris Day was a beauty. She was the all American Girl Next Door. All pert and bubbly with a m,illion dollar smile!

by Anonymousreply 204August 17, 2024 10:15 PM

R204 Well, she wasn't exactly homely. And she had a great body.

by Anonymousreply 205August 18, 2024 5:52 AM

Doris dated Sly Stone in the early 70's, which somehow wasn't as newsworthy as Burt Reynolds screwing Dinah Shore.

by Anonymousreply 206August 18, 2024 7:08 AM

Was the Reynolds-Shore “relationship” real? I always questioned that.

by Anonymousreply 207August 18, 2024 7:46 AM

Who the fuck was Sly Stone?

by Anonymousreply 208August 18, 2024 3:24 PM

Google is your friend, R208. Better to search it than advertise your ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 209August 18, 2024 3:39 PM

Sly Stone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210August 18, 2024 3:59 PM

[quote]R203 Roman wanted Sharon to play Rosemary in Rosemary’s Baby… I can't help but wonder what Sharon might have brought to the role

She would have been TERRIBLE!

I can see her being effective as Tess of the d'Urbervilles, though. That character’s 100% victim… and doesn’t have a strong personality to begin with. Tess just floats through the story to her demise.

by Anonymousreply 211August 19, 2024 3:10 AM

[quote]R208 Who the fuck was Sly Stone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212August 19, 2024 3:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!