Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It’s happening - “Knots Landing” streaming August 13th on Plex

KNOTS LANDING is coming to streaming Aug 13 on the new Primetime Soaps by WB channel.

The 24/7 ad-supported channel is live now on @Plex w/ FALCON CREST. Eps stream in order, not on-demand.

Watch on streaming devices w/ the Plex app or online: watch.plex.tv/live-tv/channe… #SoapOpera

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533October 4, 2024 2:06 PM

Does YouTubeTV carry Plex ?

We're all still waiting for them to carry MeTv Cartoons to watch all the Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies cartoons.

by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2024 8:57 PM

The Primetime Soaps by WB channel is also airing on Freevee. Laura Johnson is cunting it up as Terry right now. Simon MacCorkindale is in this episode, too.

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2024 9:08 PM

Vee, who’s in the biz, arranged this.

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2024 9:09 PM

This isn’t entirely ideal as it’s not available on demand. It feels a bit archaic to only be able to watch this live with commercials but it’s a step in the right direction.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2024 12:13 PM

I would love to see ‘80s Another World streaming somewhere. Very nostalgic.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2024 1:37 PM

Knots kicks off at 8:19pm EST.

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2024 10:07 PM

I think they skipped season 4 completely.

by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2024 4:40 PM

NVM, they just ran a single episode from a later season by mistake. Loving watching this again.

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2024 6:17 PM

I work from home a couple days a week and I have it playing as background. I’d like to think my viewership will singlehandedly signal to a streamer they should license it and make it available on demand. A guy can dream. R8- I was very thrown when the show jumped seasons out of the blue. Glad it was just a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2024 9:59 PM

I don't understand the logic of running a soap opera back to back continuously like this. Is anyone really going to binge watch for 344 hour straight? You're going to miss huge chunks of time so it will soon stop making sense. Who's that blond stealing Laura's husband. Who's this guy married to Karen now? Whatever happened to Kenny and Ginger? Are Eric and Diana dead? Ugh. They did this also with Dark Shadows.

You can watch most sitcoms in any order you want, or a variety show, or maybe even a procedural cop/doctor show -- but not a soap. This really should have been on demand, even if that meant with commercials.

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2024 10:21 PM

I'm not complaining. There's been something very comforting about these well-written, well-acted early seasons. And all the seeds of what was to come were sewn from the beginning. Good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2024 10:36 PM

Some believe they’re testing it for viewership and interest before deciding to have it available on demand.

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2024 10:36 PM

Doesn't look like they are running the entire series in order in one chunk. Likely a few seasons then repeat

by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2024 4:24 AM

We're on the Ciji season now. Chip was such an asshole. I can't wait for Lilimae to mow his ass down.

by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2024 9:16 AM

R12- If that’s true, this feels like a doomed test. Who even watches Plex and Freevee? Knots is like buried treasure on these streamers. It’s very hard to find.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2024 10:10 AM

As with the DVD releases, it's been mishandled. Either someone is determined to make this show forgotten or it just has terrible luck.

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2024 12:04 PM

We never get the good shit in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2024 12:19 PM

R5 First, someone would have to cough up the cash to have all that 80s content digitized for streaming. Talk to the guy in charge of Retro TV (now It's Real Good TV) who explained everything they had to do get all those years of The Doctors up and running for streaming, post-broadcast on their regular TV channel.

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2024 8:09 PM

R18- in what world would The Doctors be a more lucrative undertaking than Knots Landing which at least had great production values and is more current?

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2024 8:30 PM

I was watching another streaming show on Plex and they just randomly inserted the commercials in the middle of sentences. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2024 9:13 PM

[quote]Does YouTubeTV carry Plex ?

Plex is not a cable channel, it's a streaming service. The app and streaming are free. You can get it with your smart TV, Amazon Firestick, Roku, etc.

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2024 9:14 PM

No issues on Freevee.

by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2024 9:26 PM

R19 My comment had nothing to do with comparing The Doctors to Knots Landing.

My post referenced the reply about Another World and I was using the experience that Retro's been going through with The Doctors from that same era.

Of course, Knots Landing would be more lucrative that The Doctors. Being a prime time show, it would have a larger potential audience than some old soap like The Doctors. Plus, Knots Landing is only 344 episodes, and one imagines the original media is in good condition. That's not even a year and half worth of episodes from an old daytime soap like The Doctors or Another World.

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2024 9:29 PM

R20, yes that's true. Tubi does it also which is weirder since all their stuff is On Demand. It must be automated because no one in their right mind was mark mid-sentence for a commercial break. Tubi is not as bad as Plex with those breaks however; theirs are just goofy. For example I'm watching the old 80s sitcom "Too Close for Comfort" on my lunch break at work. About 7 min or so into the episode there's a break, but it is at the end of the scene. The goofy part is when the episode resumes about 2 minutes later there's a natural break where it's clear the original episodes were inserted. I wish Knots Landing had gone to Tubi instead, but still happy that it's available at all.

by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2024 9:50 PM

Plex is a mess. It's probably the worst streaming service I've encountered.

I've come to the conclusion that its name is short for COMPLEX.

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2024 10:01 PM

I am in eldergay heaven. I have kept in on in the background all day while I clean. Val was such a wimp-jeez

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2024 10:04 PM

It's a shame that no one has mentioned that the obtrusive breaks are not an issue on Freevee.

I, too, am in eldergay heaven R26 . Gary was hotter than hell in his jailbird jumpsuit.

I'd forgotten how layered and moving Laura and Richard's story was.

Season 5 just started, and it's about to go full on soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2024 10:08 PM

R27 - And I forgotten what a nutjob Gary was. He almost went full Fatal Attraction on Abby, sniffing her up and down right in front of Val. He really did look like he was about to lose his mind when they took a break from their affair. WTF, Gary, Abby wasn't your first mistress. She wasn't even his first on the show.

by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2024 10:33 PM

The episode where Lilimae runs over that asshole Chip with her big ass Ford LTD is on now.

Diana is more hatable than Chip-was there a more obnoxious prime time soap character?

by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2024 2:08 AM

I'd rather just spend $100 and buy a bootleg set of the entire series. Plex is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2024 2:10 AM

What a horrible way to present something.

You have to watch 24/7 for how many days in a row? Two weeks?

Asinine.

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2024 3:55 AM

There are a few reasons why it's tougher to stream daytime soaps. Except for Days, YR, Dark Shadows, The Doctors, and everything that premiered after 1980, the shows wiped all the episodes before 1979. They don't have full catalogs.

There are also issues with videotape. The main issue is that being recorded on videotape, it's almost impossible to separate the voice track from the music track. It was all done together. During the 80s, most soaps incorporated popular music without paying licensing fees because they just didn't know any better, and no one complained. Now, you can't play that stuff without having to pay high licensing fees.

Another issue with videotape is that some of it has corroded over the years, and digitizing tens of thousands of episodes for very little return is no easy task. Unfortunately, the audience for a 1967 episode of The Secret Storm is very niche and dwindling with each passing day, and may not make enough money in advertising to even pay for the cost of digitizing it. I think Another World had a 0.0 rating on Soap Net. It's a business; there has to be some return for them to want to invest.

Primetime soaps do better, but networks lose flexibility because of the serialized nature of these shows. And some think that an audience is not going to get caught up in something that they have to watch each episode. It's easier to run a stand-alone episode of Gunsmoke or Perry Mason.

If the money was there, there would be a classic soap channel.

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2024 4:20 AM

As a wee gayling, I remember being so upset with just how MEAN Gary and Abby were to Val during their affair. It was sadistic. Of course Abby would remain mean to Val throughout the entire run, almost gleeful at her misfortune. Abby thought Val was pathetic and rolled her eyes at her at every chance. I hated how little they interacted in the later years. They basically had a couple scenes a year together which I guess made them more powerful (versus, say, Krystle and Alexis who fought practically every episode).

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2024 12:03 PM

[quote]Abby thought Val was pathetic and rolled her eyes at her at every chance.

Best way to show off her elaborate eyeshadow.

by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2024 12:12 PM

Oddly though, Abby was surprisingly comforting to Poor Val when everyone thought Jill's attack was a suicide attempt. And Abby did have a tiny ping of regret over her inadvertent involvement with Val's babies being stolen. Other than that, yes, Abby laughed at Val for the childlike, backwater simpleton she was.

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2024 1:03 PM

[quote] Diana is more hatable than Chip-was there a more obnoxious prime time soap character?

Which is what made her incredibly believable as Karen's daughter. Claudia Lonow was not a great actress, but she held her own well enough and was smartly cast as Lee's difficult, suburban princess offspring. Far more believable than surfer boy Michael (Pat Peterson) who looked a lot more like Donna Mills than either of the Brians.

Lonow, coincidentally, went on to have a successful behind-the-scenes career in Hollywood working. And she's also the step-sister to actor Michael Rapaport. Her step-father (Lonow) owner the Improv.

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2024 1:13 PM

My favorite are the TRAVILLA years.

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2024 2:11 PM

R32, Sanra Barbara has full episodes in English online already. No degrade in quality. I think it's true for all soaps that they're was always someone digitizing them since they aired before.

The issues with music copyrights is huge though. Also, Sony occasionally pulls these episodes down and the uploaders try again.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2024 2:17 PM

R34 LMAO. I’ve been watching for the past 16 hours or so and have been very entertained by her bold choices in eye makeup and clothing.

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2024 6:12 PM

I’m loving that they aren’t afraid to kill-off a character. Gary has just been killed.

by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2024 6:15 PM

Oh shit. I probably shouldn’t have spoiled that. I’m sorry.

by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2024 6:16 PM

I've been watching for several days. We're near the end of season 5. Gary has been "murdered" by the Wolfbridge Group, Ben is missing and presumed dead, Val is WAY pregnant, and one of the great TV season finales is on the horizon.

by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2024 6:16 PM

Hey R42 im right here with you! Let’s have a watch party.

by Anonymousreply 43August 17, 2024 6:19 PM

Sanra who?

by Anonymousreply 44August 17, 2024 6:48 PM

That bitch Abby stole my act!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 17, 2024 6:49 PM

All involved were so successful at creating the palpable, creeping dread of Wolfbridge. Writing, performances, music, direction.

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2024 6:51 PM

R46 - Yes, but it's like they wrote themselves into a corner. The resolution the next season (Greg rescuing Abby) was pretty silly and anti-climactic. While it's no Moldavian Massacre, I think that great cliffhanger left them stumped as to how to resolve it rationally. Karen's being shot and Val nearly going boom were also resolved lickety-split, as if none of it ever happened.

by Anonymousreply 47August 17, 2024 6:53 PM

I can't really complain. It was certainly their big attempt at a water cooler finale, but they rolled pretty quickly into the "Val's babies" season, which was (to me) another high mark for writing and performances.

by Anonymousreply 48August 17, 2024 7:05 PM

The cliffhangers were never as good after season 6. Karen’s kidnapping was a big “who cares.” The cement crack was just ok. Val’s attempted murder was a riveting episode but the Mexico storyline was the worst. Seasons 5 and 6 cliffhangers were BANGERS.

by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2024 7:56 PM

I love the Peter in cement story-watching Donna Mills drag and bury a corpse in 1980s Escada is pure camp.

I love when Abby dumps Peter’s car at the airport, then takes a city bus to return home to Malibu late at night, wearing a scarf and dark glasses.

by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2024 8:00 PM

I also loved the Peter buried in cement story (and the ensuing murder mystery that did NOT cop out by having the killer be some throwaway minor character). But that whole story borrowed heavily from "The Gazebo" (1960) and "Mildred Pierce" (1945). Not complaining, however. They took old stories and twisted them to suit their own telling with their own characters.

I've never been able to look at a receipt spike the same way again...

by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2024 8:37 PM

I am having trouble with plex - Knots is on my watchlist but not available - I am determined to get the streaming channel going. Has Val had the babies yet? I have a ton of laundry and house stuff to do so I want to get it on in the backround ..,,

by Anonymousreply 52August 17, 2024 9:29 PM

Hard to believe that fresh-faced, hot-assed Alec Baldwin became such a hideous toad man.

by Anonymousreply 53August 17, 2024 10:04 PM

Ah … I just got it on - Val is in a maternity dress! Yippee! …. I don’t remember what happened to Karen …

by Anonymousreply 54August 17, 2024 10:11 PM

R53 it’s on the live tv section under “daytime television”

by Anonymousreply 55August 17, 2024 10:13 PM

I meant r52 above. R53 I think he’s hotter now, but I also have daddy issues

by Anonymousreply 56August 17, 2024 10:14 PM

R53 I actually mean he was hotter as Jack on 30 Rock than any other time. I just googled what he looks like today and you are correct. He went from Daddy bear to Daddy toad pretty quickly

by Anonymousreply 57August 17, 2024 10:20 PM

R55, that’s another head shaker: the channel uses prime time in its name but to find the channel you have to look under daytime.

by Anonymousreply 58August 17, 2024 10:23 PM

MY BABIES!

by Anonymousreply 59August 17, 2024 10:44 PM

VAL!!!!! THEY TOOK THE BAYYYBIES!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 60August 17, 2024 10:51 PM

The show grinds to a halt everytine Cathy Geary starts singing whatever was #12 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 61August 18, 2024 12:33 AM

I am curious how Amazon's experiment is going with the Australian soap Neighbours. They bought the entire catalogue past and present and airs it all on Freevee. I'm not aware of any attention here in the US, but I appreciate that a streamer invests into an ongoing daily soap. And that soap is LGBT heaven. Doesn't Peacock have a daily soap, too? It's a great way to retain viewers - if the show has any viewers.

by Anonymousreply 62August 18, 2024 12:33 AM

R62 I started watching Neighbours about six months ago when I read they were going to kill off gay "David" leaving his husband "Aaron" a widower. I'd previously watched some of this longstanding couple's clips over the years on youtube, so was familiar with the characters. I looked forawrd to Aaron be freed.

I believe when Amazon took it over, they said they were guaranteeing that Neighbours would continue for at least two years, with 200 episodes per year. (Neighbours always had an annual break even in its other incarnation.) So I guess we'll find out if its popular enough to continue at that point.

But when I started watching back in February, I decided to watch the entire show. I really like it. It's a brisk 18 minutes because their player doesn't seem to care that I have adblocker on, so it skips right through the commercials. There's an interesting business story going involving the soap's hotel called Lassiter's and I find it better than the typical business stories on American soaps. Sex lies and videotape. Article about that from last week below.

btw - The daily soap on Peacock is Days of our Lives, although I think they're down to just one gay guy now. (I don't watch it as a rule.) .. And about a month ago, Lime Pictures in the UK decided to put their Channel 4 soap, Hollyoaks, on youtube with no geo-blocking. This move is to expand the audience now that soap will soon be going from five episodes per week to three. There are currently five gay male characters on that soap. I've been watching Hollyoaks since 2006 with my VPN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 18, 2024 1:17 AM

Christ, I hated Lisa Hartman. If you thought Lilimae playing the zither and warbling Will the Circle Be Unbroken, it was nothing compared to Hartman atonally vomiting up Open Arms.

by Anonymousreply 64August 18, 2024 5:14 AM

Aw, y'all hating on Kathy/Ciji must not remember the vocal stylings of Ginger Ward, the Chanteuse of Seaview Circle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 18, 2024 9:03 AM

They skipped episode 14 of season 6. Kathy must've sung an actual hit on that one, and they couldn't clear the music rights.

by Anonymousreply 66August 18, 2024 10:00 AM

Isn't playing a song in a drama show pretty much the equivalent of dead air on radio? Often they overlay the song to show drama, for example Ciji dead at the beach. And that works well to string the drama along. But showing Ciji or Afton just singing for thirty seconds is like a commercial break where the story simply comes to a halt. It's not very engaging. As a viewer you can just wait that the story resumes.

by Anonymousreply 67August 18, 2024 11:57 AM

Being a singer is a very popular profession on all soaps. I guess it's meant for audience member whose inner child is still holding a hairbrush in the mirror pretending they're a star. Sometimes it's also about the actor wanting everyone to know he/she has Broadway credentials or is just multi-talented.

by Anonymousreply 68August 18, 2024 3:04 PM

I always wondered about all the other neighbors in that cul-de-sac we never saw. Were they disliked? Or maybe those homeowners chose not to mingle with the Fairgates, Ewings, Averys, and Wards because they all seemed like a bunch half-witted drama queen assholes.

"Seriously, Hank, the police are here AGAIN!"

by Anonymousreply 69August 18, 2024 3:08 PM

Who would want to associate themselves with neighbors with that constant drama? Every one or two years somebody died and the whole neighborhood got dragged down. No thanks!

by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2024 3:26 PM

While on neighborhood walks, you'd have to contstantly be on watch for cars speeding in and out of the cul de sac at all hours of the day and night

by Anonymousreply 71August 18, 2024 3:54 PM

Now I want a thread "Let's Be The Other Neighbors on Seaview Circle"

by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2024 4:15 PM

The man who owned the house next to “Val’s house” was pissed that his home wasn’t used for the other characters, so he parked a giant , obnoxious RV in his driveway that is always present in the background.

I keep noticing how oddly the characters park their cars in the cul de sac. Normally, people living in a home like this would park their two cars side by side in the driveway. But these people stack park, or park with half of their car protuding into the sidewalk or street, or avoid the driveway altogether and park on the street. That hick Valene parked her car at an angle with the car in the way of traffic. One you see it you can’t help but notice it. I assume it’s related to camera angles but it looks unnatural.

by Anonymousreply 73August 18, 2024 4:20 PM

R73, once you hear that story you can never not see that RV.

by Anonymousreply 74August 18, 2024 4:26 PM

I've been noticing the RV in every season (Val and Kathy just jogged past it) and I kind of love it.

by Anonymousreply 75August 18, 2024 4:26 PM

The Fishers have just shown up, and there’s the babies.

They have no idea that their perfect suburban life is about to be turned upside down by a hick and her lunatic neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 76August 18, 2024 4:35 PM

[quote]They have no idea that their perfect suburban life is about to be turned upside down by a hick and her lunatic neighbors

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 77August 18, 2024 4:41 PM

[quote] I assume it’s related to camera angles but it looks unnatural.

The other minor things about cars on this show (and most of this era) is that nobody has a rearview mirror. LOL

by Anonymousreply 78August 18, 2024 5:08 PM

[quote] her lunatic neighbors

Might be why the Mad magazine parody called it Knuts Lusting.

by Anonymousreply 79August 18, 2024 5:08 PM

I like how they all drove normal cars. I think Abby was the only one with a Mercedes.

by Anonymousreply 80August 18, 2024 5:09 PM

^ That reminds me... how the hell did Abby ever afford that house? Was Jeff Cunningham rich? She had, what, 3-4 bedrooms on a cul-de-sac with the beach literally in her backyard. I know Miss Ellie bought the Ewing house, but the rest of them must have been secret millionaires.

by Anonymousreply 81August 18, 2024 5:16 PM

And something else I noticed when watching the early years. Kenny and Ginger were quarreling over her wanting a career (as a singer no less). Ginger already had a career. She was a schoolteacher. Presumably she had a degree and held that job for some time (despite her being so young) to have a whole class to herself. I guess she stopped caring about other people's kids when she pushed out Molly into the world.

by Anonymousreply 82August 18, 2024 5:18 PM

Laura had a crappy old Datsun station wagon in the beginning, with missing hubcaps. Richard tried to gift her a Buick Regal one Christmas-only to find that her boss who wanted to fuck her gave her a new Mercedes S Class as a bonus.

Abby rented that house, and back then, the housing costs weren’t that crazy. I remember my parents rented a house very similar to Vals in 1983 in Orange County, and the rent was $850/month. Also, I bet Sid (and then Gary) helped her.

by Anonymousreply 83August 18, 2024 5:21 PM

I had no idea that Laura was sleeping with random guys or that Syd had a first wife and a daughter who slept with Kenny her first night in town.

by Anonymousreply 84August 18, 2024 5:35 PM

R93 - I get what you're saying although I don't remember anything about her renting the house, but that's plausible. However, keep in mind that $850/month in September 1980 equals nearly $3,200 today. Plus, was your parents home in a cul-de-sac and on oceanfront? Abby was a bookkeeper for her brother's one local garage. Sid might have helped her, but he also (presumably) had alimony and child support from his first wife, three kids and a stay-at-home wife, and a business with several employees all to keep afloat at a time when inflation and taxes were brutal.

Yes, it's just a TV show. But it simply makes me want to throw one of Laura's shady eyerolls.

by Anonymousreply 85August 18, 2024 5:47 PM

For you bitches who figured out Plex-Val is about to find her BAY BEES

by Anonymousreply 86August 18, 2024 9:53 PM

Yes! I am here waiting for the Bridge Tournament bust - it is many hours in the making that I have enjoyed waiting for the BAYBEES!!! ….. PS Alec Baldwin has Wolfman Like Chest hair!!

by Anonymousreply 87August 18, 2024 10:30 PM

Uber cunt Ruth Sumner Galveston is a 15 on the Abby Scale.

by Anonymousreply 88August 18, 2024 10:36 PM

Ruth is a big hairy cunt. You can see why Claudia smothered her with a pillow or whatever it is she did to her.

I love watching Abby concoct a story on the fly when her back is against a wall.

by Anonymousreply 89August 18, 2024 10:42 PM

Val’s crooked OBGYN is about to blow his brains out to keep from listening to Karen’s bitching and hectoring.

by Anonymousreply 90August 18, 2024 11:18 PM

Dr. Ackerman was named after someone who worked on the show/

by Anonymousreply 91August 18, 2024 11:21 PM

[quote] Val’s crooked OBGYN is about to blow his brains out to keep from listening to Karen’s bitching and hectoring.

We know the feeling.

by Anonymousreply 92August 18, 2024 11:25 PM

Lord Jesus they done found the babies!

by Anonymousreply 93August 19, 2024 12:05 AM

Barefoot, fucked up hair, shirt tied at the midriff, pedal pushers-Val looks like Daisy Mae Yoakum in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 94August 19, 2024 12:16 AM

Why did tv networks used to show then entire episode in a preview RIGHT BEFORE it aired? Why was that a thing?

by Anonymousreply 95August 19, 2024 12:21 AM

R95 - It was a teaser trailer to get prospective viewers intrigued as well as to assure loyal fans it wasn't going to be a Kenny/Ginger episode.

by Anonymousreply 96August 19, 2024 12:26 AM

R91 - The evil Dr. Mitch Ackerman was named after Production Manager Mitch Ackerman, who I would assume had a sense of humor.

I suspect the show did this occasionally with other characters / real life backstage crew as an inside wink and nod.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 19, 2024 12:28 AM

My God was this show fantastic. The fact this isn’t on demand is torture. I have hope that WBD will make this available on Max soon after this run. It’s all over my socials. A guy can dream.

by Anonymousreply 98August 19, 2024 12:45 AM

This is taking forever and I need to pick up a package. How many episodes do they drag this out? Is there going to be a fucking trial?

by Anonymousreply 99August 19, 2024 12:57 AM

I live with and take care of my 87 year old mom who has painful arthritis in her legs so it is hard for her to walk. She also has light dementia. I found the channel in the afternoon yesterday and she had been contentedly GLUED (except potty breaks) since yesterday. She watched it during the original run and this is totally soothing her. EXCEPT - a few hours ago she called me into her room upset - she told me that I HAD to call SOMEONE and tell them about the babies!!! …… Agreed - MAX - please start streaming!!!

by Anonymousreply 100August 19, 2024 12:58 AM

You bitches have brought your A game with the recapping of the Knots rewatch. The comments about Karen and Val alone have been wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 101August 19, 2024 1:16 AM

Nowadays, if a couple of deranged hicks were hanging out in a city park screaming “THOSE ARE MUH BAYBEES” at the hapless frau living across from the park, people would assume they homeless and on drugs.

In 1985, it’s just Val and Lilimae.

by Anonymousreply 102August 19, 2024 1:44 AM

Mack has been yelling for the past several episodes that “I DON’T HAVE ANY TIME!!”

But he did have time to go to the Jeep dealership and replace the Grand Wagoneer Karen wrecked with a new, smaller Wagoneer.

by Anonymousreply 103August 19, 2024 1:56 AM

Fucking finally! She got her babies.

by Anonymousreply 104August 19, 2024 2:07 AM

I’m exhausted! That was STILL wonderful, wasn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 105August 19, 2024 2:11 AM

In an alternate time-warped universe, Cathy/Ciji would’ve been somewhere singing “Finally” by Cece Peniston.

by Anonymousreply 106August 19, 2024 2:11 AM

Or “Somebody’s Baby” by Jackson Browne

by Anonymousreply 107August 19, 2024 2:13 AM

Speaking of shitty Lisa Hartman performances...

Anyone ever seen Tabitha?

by Anonymousreply 108August 19, 2024 2:18 AM

R108 thank you so much for bringing this into my world. I never knew this show existed. all of this is before my time. I only became a fan of Lisa Hartman yesterday after watching her sing “Open Arms”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 19, 2024 2:30 AM

Been binge watching this weekend. Valene finally got her brats back. Her boyfriend Ben is cute but I had forgotten what a whiny, slightly unhinged asshole he was.

by Anonymousreply 110August 19, 2024 3:04 AM

^^yes, but it’s very entertaining when he goes off the deepend next season and chokes out Lilimae

by Anonymousreply 111August 19, 2024 3:06 AM

Uh - is Gary “Dry Drunk?” - it looked like he was having the DTs - or as Val calls him “Geery!”

by Anonymousreply 112August 19, 2024 3:09 AM

Ok - so I am the only idiot still awake at almost 2 am watching Lisa Hartman rocking out to Dancing in the Streets? . I have been waiting for Joshua’s final melt down ….. I thought that the guy playing Frank Elliott looked familiar. he was the Dos Equis Man - “The Most Interesting Man in the World.”

by Anonymousreply 113August 19, 2024 8:52 AM

Knots was a binge series before binge series were a thing.

The next seasons pick up directly without a time jump so it's now hard to remember what the big season cliffhangers were

by Anonymousreply 114August 19, 2024 1:00 PM

The last week has been like getting together with old friends whose company you actually enjoy, and can't remember why you lost touch.

by Anonymousreply 115August 19, 2024 5:34 PM

I’ve heard Alec Baldwin say shitty things on his podcast about Knots and the caliber or actors/writing on the show.

He is horrible on the show. Joshua was supposed to be a sheltered religious kid from Tennessee, and Baldwin plays the role like a Long Island asshole (so he plays himself).

For those of you watching at home-did Lilimae throw him off the roof yet?

by Anonymousreply 116August 19, 2024 7:04 PM

I was a very casual viewer of Knots during its original run.

Alec was a standout on the show, but I missed then that he came on supposed to be a naive farm boy. No wonder the writers quickly moved the character to be more like Alec in real life. And his exit from the show wasn't his plan.

This marathon is also surprising in that they kept Gary and Val together so much through the run of the show, even despite during his marriage to Abby

by Anonymousreply 117August 19, 2024 7:20 PM

Lilimae's Zither is the name of my new punk band! 🤣

by Anonymousreply 118August 19, 2024 7:22 PM

Knot's was possibly the last major television credit for AB before he transitioned to feature films. IMHO, his portrayal of Joshua screamed "Movie Star". And that's what happened, (for awhile, anyway).

by Anonymousreply 119August 19, 2024 8:01 PM

Yes Joshua backed his whimpering self off of the roof as with Cathy and Lilimae wailing at about 2am this morning.

by Anonymousreply 120August 19, 2024 8:06 PM

What then was Alec's first major TV credit? I think for TV he was basically one and done before moving to movies.

by Anonymousreply 121August 19, 2024 8:07 PM

After The Doctors for two years, it was Cutter to Houston!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 19, 2024 8:17 PM

He was on a soap, The Doctors, for three years

by Anonymousreply 123August 19, 2024 8:18 PM

Alec has said very good things about KL and the actors on it in the past, so I would be surprised if he trashed it.

by Anonymousreply 124August 19, 2024 9:09 PM

Unfortunately, when Retro was wrapping up it's digitization project for The Doctors in 2023, they announced that Colgate had mistakenly thought they possessed episodes right up to the very end (December 1982). But it turns out, that the last two+ years no longer exist, so only some of the episodes that Baldwin did from 1980-82 were made available. Their project ends with the September 29, 1980 episode, which Baldwin happens to appear in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 19, 2024 9:13 PM

The episode airing right now, Phoenix Rising, is the one of the absolute best. It is the ultimate showcase for Donna Mills and it is maybe Abby at her best. The walls are closing in on her, and it all culminates at a gala where the whole cast is assembled. It is top notch drama. This is catnip for gay men who love to see a bitch on wheels be put thru the ringer and come out victorious. And Ted Shackelford has maybe never been hotter.

by Anonymousreply 126August 19, 2024 9:47 PM

I was hoping that episode would be on tonight r126! Is that the one where she’s wearing the 80stastic gold and black dress, and Peter, Greg and Olivia all try to blackmail her over the twins?

by Anonymousreply 127August 19, 2024 10:06 PM

I was thinking all those same thoughts as I watched, R126 . As Jill says in the following episode, Abby goes from baby stealer to Florence Nightingale in one evening.

And let me add, watching the series in such close order, McCashin's Laura is the fucking queen of snark.

by Anonymousreply 128August 19, 2024 10:16 PM

In one of the episodes last night, Greg's mother scolds Laura with "a lady doesn't quip"

by Anonymousreply 129August 19, 2024 10:24 PM

Laura Avery would have been queen of DL. Her snark surpasses that of our sainted Vivian Vance!

by Anonymousreply 130August 19, 2024 10:27 PM

Laura Avery forever!

by Anonymousreply 131August 19, 2024 10:55 PM

Laura’s last story was so good, but I wish they’d have kept the character around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 19, 2024 10:58 PM

Is Pheonix Rising the episode where Abby smirks "I don't do strings!"

by Anonymousreply 133August 19, 2024 11:12 PM

R127- yep, that’s the one! It is such a delicious and campy tour de force. It should be played at gay bars. Her fight with Gary when she threatens to drag his “precious Valene, her precious Ben and those precious little babies into the court!” - I levitate.

by Anonymousreply 134August 19, 2024 11:21 PM

Holy shit balls. Just saw this on X: For the first time ever…Knots Landing Season 1 is now available for Digital Purchase from the Amazon Prime Store in the U.S. Full Season costs $17.99 or individual episodes for $1.99. This is Standard Definition 480p.

I just purchased it on the spot. This is huge. It’s happening guys!

by Anonymousreply 135August 20, 2024 12:26 AM

I wouldn't get too excited, R135. Seasons 1 & 2 were officially released on DVD over a decade ago, so this is not the first time they've been made commercially available.

by Anonymousreply 136August 20, 2024 2:58 AM

Doug Sheehan - Ben is back in town and his Miami Vice look is cringy .

by Anonymousreply 137August 20, 2024 4:45 AM

[quote] And his exit from the show wasn't his plan.

For what it's worth, Donna Mills said that Baldwin was fired because "he got fat." LOL

by Anonymousreply 138August 20, 2024 11:33 AM

Olivia’s on coke and Abby is about to start pulling her door off the hinges.

by Anonymousreply 139August 20, 2024 2:24 PM

Oh - I hope that I didn’t miss it - I just turned it on and it is Michelle Phillips first episode - I always loved the Olivia on drugs episisodes!

by Anonymousreply 140August 20, 2024 3:12 PM

I couldn't stand Olivia. Could have been bad acting. But I find nothing entertaining in teenagers acting up. When a character is difficult it's usually for a reason, and that reason usually makes the character's behavior relatable. But unfortunately teenagers' hormones make their behavior more erratic and unrelatable - at least to me. I usually just don't "get" them.

Did Olivia have any redeeming qualities besides making Abby entertaining?

by Anonymousreply 141August 20, 2024 6:11 PM

I thought Tonya Crowe was wonderful in the role. And when Olivia started having problems, you understood why. Abby was hardly good mother material. Not saying she didn't love her children, but I would imagine growing up and having a front row seat to your mother's shenanigans would be difficult for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 142August 20, 2024 6:34 PM

Olivia was necessary when Abby on the show, to humanize her.

Coming up is the scene that marks the beginning of Jill’s psychotic jealousy of Val. Abby comes to the ranch and tells Jill—“Let the second Mrs. Ewing give the soon to be third Mrs. Ewing some advice. The first Mrs. Ewing doesn't go away - ever!"

I think the show never should have gotten rid of Lotus Point-all of the characters were involved in it. After Lotus Point went away, the show split into two groups- the Sumner Group characters, and everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 143August 20, 2024 6:36 PM

The shitty music score (including the opening theme) of season 8 is really undermining the intended gravity of the story. It's very whimsical and cutesy and mustache-twirly.

by Anonymousreply 144August 20, 2024 7:04 PM

Crazy Ben just put Lilimae in a headlock. The only sane people living in Val’s house were the babies.

I love when they would use The Mamas and the Papas to score the Mack/Anne scenes.

by Anonymousreply 145August 20, 2024 8:39 PM

Anne is now cunting all over Karen and her suburban values.

Michelle Phillips appeared on CBS Thus Morning when Knots was on the air, and she breezily told a disgusted Kathleen Sullivan how she smoked pot all the time.

by Anonymousreply 146August 20, 2024 10:11 PM

^ I always liked Michelle Phillips' DGAF attitude.

by Anonymousreply 147August 20, 2024 10:40 PM

And now, Peter is going to be impaled on a spindle

by Anonymousreply 148August 20, 2024 11:27 PM

We have about one more season before this all morphs into The Greg and Paige Show. Man do they become overexposed.

by Anonymousreply 149August 20, 2024 11:48 PM

You guys are bringing back so many memories for me. But I can't watch it again...life is too short. But then there's Gary's hot body...

by Anonymousreply 150August 21, 2024 12:05 AM

R150- you are missing out. This episode is better than a Joan Crawford movie when Abby buries the body. Abby thinks Olivia did it. Olivia thinks Abby did it. But nope. It was Paige. Fucking brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 151August 21, 2024 12:32 AM

I was just checking in to see if we are watching Abby drag Hollister across the floor in wearing white stilettos. Ahhhh … what kind of person am I watching this instead of the Democratic convention? ….. Do we know if they will run the show through again from the beginning? I am planning my sloth a few weeks in advance. ….. Do we think 5 or 6 am for Jill feeding Abby the pills?

by Anonymousreply 152August 21, 2024 12:55 AM

R152- Jill feeds Valene the pills. As if she would even attempt pulling that shit with Abby.

by Anonymousreply 153August 21, 2024 12:57 AM

I was watching Abby while I was writing that - yes - I can’t see anyone trying to feed pills to Abby. Or Lilimae - she wouldn’t shut up long enough!!

by Anonymousreply 154August 21, 2024 1:00 AM

Laura and her cancer - lump in throat …… That has to be the absolute worst hairstyle on Joan Van Ark - she looks like a q-tip.

by Anonymousreply 155August 21, 2024 5:47 AM

^ Or a backup singer for a Flock of Seagulls cover band.

by Anonymousreply 156August 21, 2024 11:38 AM

[quote] Olivia was necessary when Abby on the show, to humanize her.

I would take Olivia and Tonya Crowe any day of the week over that talentless black hole Stacy Galina who was foisted upon us for YEARS. They should never have written off Olivia -- so much history and connections, and it would have been fun to see the great moralizer slowly morph into Abby Jr. No one could fill Abby's stilettos -- not Paige, not Anne, not Claudia. But Olivia was at least the heir apparent.

by Anonymousreply 157August 21, 2024 11:41 AM

[quote] Olivia’s on coke

Too bad she didn't give some to Joshua... might have kept Alec's weight off and he would've been around longer.

by Anonymousreply 158August 21, 2024 11:42 AM

[quote] That has to be the absolute worst hairstyle on Joan Van Ark

The second worst would have to be unfortunate cornrows in one of the early seasons. Joan was not Bo Derek, and it seemed extremely out of character for still-the-country-bumpkin Valene.

by Anonymousreply 159August 21, 2024 11:44 AM

This season - yeriible hair no Ben no Lilimae - I think that Joan Van Ark was having a personal crisis. She was always thin as a whippet but she is skeletal and Popeyed that season - you wonder if she was running 20 miles a day and eating only egg whites and mustard.

by Anonymousreply 160August 21, 2024 4:12 PM

Terrible ^ not yerrible

by Anonymousreply 161August 21, 2024 4:13 PM

R160 I know Joan was a runner, well at least, a jogger. It was around this time (mid-80s) when my boyfriend and I would go running around the Lake Hollywood Reservoir and would see Joan jogging-walking around the lake frequently. As I recall, she lived up in the newer development just east of the lake that had it's own trail down to the road around the lake.

by Anonymousreply 162August 21, 2024 8:16 PM

R162 That is a neat story. I looked up an interview that is about six months old - it was pretty funny. She talked about texting with Alec Baldwin during the Rust trial . She said that she hated getting old. She was into eating lettuce, egg whites and mustard. She says that she runs at night to keep out of the sun - Val, Val Val - she was always a nervous one …

by Anonymousreply 163August 21, 2024 11:19 PM

[quote] She said that she hated getting old. She was into eating lettuce, egg whites and mustard.

Poor Val

by Anonymousreply 164August 21, 2024 11:32 PM

I had forgotten how beautiful Lynne Moody was in those years. …. Back during the original run I thought Ted Shackleford was kind of meh. I thought that William Devane was yuk. Now on this rewatch while I am older than they were then - I find them both VERY attractive. …. I know that this is totally un PC but I chuckled out loud when Sumner told his first wife Millie Perkins to shut up……. You know, after the fuss that Mack and Karen made over adopting Meg - with the scandal of the Drug Dealers at Lotus Point - who is watching her now?

by Anonymousreply 165August 21, 2024 11:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 22, 2024 12:08 AM

This is the scene where Abby pushes Jill over the edge. Once again, Abby fucks with Val without even knowing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 22, 2024 12:09 AM

Oh shit Jill is in a wig and she’s going to kill Val!

by Anonymousreply 168August 22, 2024 12:41 AM

That Jill story was the best story line of any night time soap. It much mirrored what I consider to be the best daytime story line and that was the murder of Diana Taylor. Unfortunately Diana didn't wake up in a hospital.

by Anonymousreply 169August 22, 2024 12:45 AM

Why did Lynne Moody leave the show? Was she unhappy? Salary dispute? Or was she let go because the new couple wasn't meshing with the rest of the group, so she was let go?

by Anonymousreply 170August 22, 2024 12:55 AM

If it hasn't been said yet: Poor Val. Poor, poor Val.

by Anonymousreply 171August 22, 2024 12:58 AM

Too bad they never knew what to do with Doug Sheehan. He was one of my all time favorites. He could have been so much more. Wish they had against typed him and made him a villain.

by Anonymousreply 172August 22, 2024 1:00 AM

Lilimae Patrick Clements was everything. When she was gone it left a void that was never filled.

by Anonymousreply 173August 22, 2024 1:03 AM

Jill's plan is so ingenious, you almost root for her. I wish they had kept her on in the role of "Sally's Friend."

by Anonymousreply 174August 22, 2024 1:04 AM

Not sorry to lose Red Buttons, but Julie Harris leaves a gap as mentioned above. Aunt Virginia was okay. I wouldn't have written her as a New Age nutcase, though.

by Anonymousreply 175August 22, 2024 1:06 AM

Hi Abs!

by Anonymousreply 176August 22, 2024 1:06 AM

R170, I believe Lynne Moody asked to be written off when the show stopped doing anything with her character in Season 11. Pat and Gary Ewing were supposed to have an affair in Season 10, but for some reason that storyline never moved forward. They really wasted Moody and the Pat Williams character. I wanted to see her succeed and become a doctor again.

by Anonymousreply 177August 22, 2024 1:10 AM

Franks biggest moment was when he went to check on Val when Jill was there. I remember us all screaming RUN OUT VAL, RUN OUT! When she didn't it was you dumb ass.

by Anonymousreply 178August 22, 2024 1:12 AM

LOL Lilimae runs over Chip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179August 22, 2024 1:33 AM

Could Abby’s white skirt be a little snugger across the bottom? Kidnapping? Drug Smuggling? Abby knows how to rock every occassion!

by Anonymousreply 180August 22, 2024 2:03 AM

All... Abby's... fault.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 22, 2024 2:17 AM

R177 - Agree with your post. My recollection is that Moody felt thwarted, frustrated and underused. I guess she wasn't interested in being black Laura at a bargain price. I would have preferred if they'd killed off Frank instead. I never liked the actor or the character.

by Anonymousreply 182August 22, 2024 12:02 PM

The seasons just shown on Plex have my least favorite opening. Dreary, faux-jazz theme with a bargain basement Leroy Neiman knockoff background with creepy heads popping up randomly. Ugh. Favorite has to the be the floating boxes (first time, not the second), then the faces in the cul-de-sac cut out and third the sandcastles (although it still had that shitty diluted music).

by Anonymousreply 183August 22, 2024 12:05 PM

I sure how they run this from the beginning again. I know that say they will but really doing it is another thing. When I fell asleep Paige and Greg started sleeping together and no one but Frank believed Val. This morning Abby and Greg are married and Mack, Karen Frank and Gary are trying to get evidence against Jill. I missed HOURS of leisurely cheesy goodness! I want to catch what I missed the next time around.

by Anonymousreply 184August 22, 2024 1:50 PM

Things moved faster in the later seasons. Val's pregnancy was like 48 hours of the show

by Anonymousreply 185August 22, 2024 2:33 PM

I absolutely hate to break the magic spell - but noticing the carefully arranged curls on Kevin Dobson’s forehead - is Mack wearing a rug?

by Anonymousreply 186August 22, 2024 4:52 PM

That's what Kevin Dobson looked like on Kojak ten years before KL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187August 22, 2024 4:54 PM

Of course Kevin wore a rug.

by Anonymousreply 188August 22, 2024 5:23 PM

Whoever's managing that X account is a pip.

Hundreds of hours of great TV this past week, without any of the actors I hated on Knots (Galina, Noone, Peyser, Behrens) having shown up yet.

by Anonymousreply 189August 22, 2024 5:57 PM

Claudia had the potential to be a great character and replacement for Abby. She was Greg’s sister; Mack and Anne knew her; she developed a friendship with Karen by moving into Abby’s old home on the cul de sac; she had a complicated relationship with her daughter and a fun frenemy relationship with Anne.

They made her way too vicious, however, and she crossed lines Abby would never cross. As selfish as Abby was, she loved her kids, Sid’s kids, and even Gary at times, and they were her weak spot.

by Anonymousreply 190August 22, 2024 6:12 PM

R183 YES! It’s too 90’s in the most cheesy way. Like those awful “jazz” cups that were everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191August 22, 2024 8:13 PM

I congratulate whoever came up with the Val/Jill story line. Fine writing and even better action. Both actresses were brilliant in all there give and take. They had that rare no romantic chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 192August 22, 2024 8:17 PM

I love that little old lady that Val woke up to as a roommate. The shit she was saying to Jill.

by Anonymousreply 193August 22, 2024 8:21 PM

Teri Austin was brilliant. But when she got killed off Knots, she pretty much disappeared. Anybody know why?

by Anonymousreply 194August 22, 2024 8:32 PM

She quit acting and now runs an animal rescue in Los Angeles r194

by Anonymousreply 195August 22, 2024 8:37 PM

On the first season of Seinfeld George is in real estate Teri Austin played the beautiful co worker Ava - the one George “yearns@ for. …. You guys will totally get this - considering there were two or three of them - Teri Austin (in the right decade) would have been cast as Bobbie Jo on Petticoat Junction!

by Anonymousreply 196August 22, 2024 8:55 PM

Was the bad saxophone music season the one where JVA and ML had those awful mullets? Donna Mills had the good taste to not go the mullet route. 😁

by Anonymousreply 197August 22, 2024 8:56 PM

Mills and Austin became great friends on the set and remained so.

by Anonymousreply 198August 22, 2024 9:00 PM

Val's kitchen and her home decor in season 10 are hideous.

by Anonymousreply 199August 22, 2024 9:37 PM

Teri Austin had a fun little cameo in Brian De Palma's "Raising Cain."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200August 22, 2024 9:40 PM

This was a disappointing end to Abby. The Murakame storyline was both convoluted and dull. It also bugged me that viewers were robbed of a final scene with Gary. And don’t get me started on her singing Don’t Worry Be Happy. What a disservice to arguably the best character of the entire series.

by Anonymousreply 201August 23, 2024 12:48 AM

Amen R199

by Anonymousreply 202August 23, 2024 2:16 AM

I watched Knots religiously start to finish when it aired. I even stayed faithfull when LA LAW hit the scene. But you know on this rewatch - how in the heck did Peter Reckell stay on the show that long and I have such a fuzzy memory of him. I had no idea that he lasted that long!

by Anonymousreply 203August 23, 2024 2:45 AM

Paula Vertosick = sad last days of Knots Landing. Wow. She is even worse than I remembered. She somehow ends up going from bowl haircut and a brownie uniform to seducing Sumner. The show should have ended when Abby left.

by Anonymousreply 204August 23, 2024 3:41 AM

R204- I don’t disagree. Danny terrorizing Gary and Val felt like an uninspired retread of Jill which had just ended and was far more compelling . No one could adequately replace Abby and losing an enduring and complex villain left a big gap. The show just ran out of steam and it all started to feel a bit perfunctory.

by Anonymousreply 205August 23, 2024 11:26 AM

Linda Fairgate becoming a villain was one of the few fun parts of the post Abby years. Then they had to kill her off in a shocking way which was really lame.

by Anonymousreply 206August 23, 2024 11:40 AM

[quote] Claudia had the potential to be a great character and replacement for Abby.

On paper, yes. But Kathleen Noone was far too frau-ish to be an Abby. She would have been better as Laura's long-lost sister than a sex bomb Machiavellian corporate shark. She actually skeeved me out in all the wrong ways.

I did think Michelle Phillips had the chops for it (right mix of beauty, wit, and chicanery) but for whatever reason they watered her down into being desperate and foolish running lame-brain, small-stake schemes.

Paige was Abby lite but again they took the wrong route if making her more like Val -- perpetual lovelorn victim forever being stalked by psychos. Having her be paralyzed for about 20 minutes was probably the low point.

by Anonymousreply 207August 23, 2024 11:51 AM

As much as I loved the show during the initial run, there is no denying that it ran out of steam -- starting even before Abby left. So many terrible stories and forgettable actors playing annoying characters, and worse yet it devolved into a corporate drama rather than about suburban neighbors facing topical issues with relatable pathos and humor. By the end, I was so sick of the Sumner Group retreads, an endless parade of serial killers, and women well into their 50s raising toddlers that I felt bittersweet relief when they finally put the old girl down.

by Anonymousreply 208August 23, 2024 11:58 AM

I know most viewers considered it a cheap ratings ploy but I loved the much touted Knots/Star Wars crossover.

To learn Abby was in cahoots with Emporer Palpatine was quite the shocker!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209August 23, 2024 1:02 PM

Knots was better than Dallas and Dynasty, yet it never got the same attention. Knots grounded itself, which is probably why it outlived those other two. I think the show's final seasons were a combination of budget issues and losing some key players in front of and behind the camera, but I, for one, still found the show highly watchable until the end.

by Anonymousreply 210August 23, 2024 2:05 PM

Later seasons were unwatchable.

That 70 yr old looking guy fucking the 2p yr old blond was gross.

Some decrepit writer or producers fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 211August 23, 2024 2:09 PM

[quote]There are also issues with videotape. The main issue is that being recorded on videotape, it's almost impossible to separate the voice track from the music track. It was all done together. During the 80s, most soaps incorporated popular music without paying licensing fees because they just didn't know any better

This might have been an issue until very recently but it's become much easier with AI. I already have music-playing software that can separate music from the vocals on digital tracks with pretty acceptable results.

by Anonymousreply 212August 23, 2024 2:40 PM

I'm still enjoying it since I know the episode where POS Danny Waleska surprisingly (shockingly?) meets his maker is coming.

by Anonymousreply 213August 23, 2024 6:17 PM

I know - Knots at its worst is 100% better than so much else that is out there! I remember Tommy being a better looking guy.

by Anonymousreply 214August 23, 2024 6:52 PM

Greg is about to be visited in the next few episodes by Mary Frances (Stacy Galina), and the ghost of Paul Galveston.

Originally they wanted Greg to be visited by the ghost of Laura, but Constance McCashin turned them down.

The writers were flailing around, trying to create replacements for Laura , Abby and Lilimae with Pat, Paula, Paige, Ginny , Anne, Linda and Claudia; but of those characters, only Linda worked, because her storyline was like something from the early seasons-a manipulator gets under Karen’s skin and causes strife in her family.

by Anonymousreply 215August 23, 2024 7:29 PM

[quote] Pat, Paula, Paige, Ginny , Anne, Linda and Claudia; but of those characters, only Linda worked

I'm not sure I want to agree with that. Paige was a pretty unique and three dimensional character. Writing for her was not always top notch, but usually she was bringing a lot to the table to make the drama work. And Nicolette Sheridan never had a better character to play than Paige, imo. Anne and Claudia were quite unique soap villains, too. They never had the presence of Abby; their drama just never seemed to reach the scale of Abby's. When Abby did something everybody got impacted. Anne's and Claudia's misdeeds just didn't have that major impact on others. But both were very entertaining to watch.

by Anonymousreply 216August 23, 2024 8:00 PM

Abby was a different kind of villain than Anne or Claudia. Rewatch this scene between Abby and Paige, and it explains a great deal about who Abby is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217August 23, 2024 8:58 PM

R217 Yhat is a great scene. Donna Mills was lightning a bottle in that roll. She was so beautiful but was to let that go - it sounds hokey - the was she played Abby was like a great singer or ice skater - she was able to make it seem effortless and then pull a great tick out of thin air. Larry Hagman had the same exciting handle on JR. ….. it is been driving me crazy that last few days trying to figure out who Lynne Moody’s speech and mannerisms reminded me of - Kerry Washington!

by Anonymousreply 218August 24, 2024 1:40 AM

I loved the was Val played cat and mouse with Paige. A credit to Mills, she could play off any actor in the series and she was always able to get her scene partners to take it up a notch. You couldn't come to a scene half assed with Donna Mills.

by Anonymousreply 219August 24, 2024 1:47 AM

Didn't Abby fuck JR?

by Anonymousreply 220August 24, 2024 1:47 AM

R217 It helped that Donna Mills had a really great speaking voice, quite low-pitched, smooth with some fragility and a little bit of gravelliness that could come off either sweet, spooky, or sexy depending on how she used it. If she wasn't so beautiful she would have been likely considered a finer-grade actress with all the techniques she developed that were unique to herself.

by Anonymousreply 221August 24, 2024 2:19 AM

and what made Abby extry great is every now and then she would be the softest of them all. I loved when Karen kissed her forehead after Abby gave up a kidney. I still tear up at that one.

by Anonymousreply 222August 24, 2024 2:22 AM

Poor Val

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223August 24, 2024 2:37 AM

Claudia finally appeared last night and Greg repeatedly referred to her as his older sister. Devane is actually 6 years older than Noone... what a kick in the cunt bone!

by Anonymousreply 224August 24, 2024 12:36 PM

[quote] That 70 yr old looking guy fucking the 2p yr old blond was gross.

I thought Devane was one of the more consistently entertaining actors on the show with an underrated talent to play both drama and comedy without going broad. And he was an attractive me. However, there was always something about Sumner (especially in the later seasons) that made me think he was about 3 days late on a shower.

For my money, the grossest pairings (age-difference or otherwise) had to be Claudia and Alex Barth (what a waste of super sexy (Boyd Kestner) and hound-dog faced Gary with the cellophane Kate.

by Anonymousreply 225August 24, 2024 1:28 PM

[quote] he was an attractive me

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 226August 24, 2024 1:30 PM

We're up to the story of Mac's unseemly obsession with a teenaged blond boy...

by Anonymousreply 227August 24, 2024 3:41 PM

That was an odd storyline - how weird that I remember Mack dressed like a Santa with Jason outside from the original run. ….. You know when Abby left - a lot of the “normal” left. Val’s books must have made her a fortune because she just drifts in clothes , cars and house remodels. Abby looked like someone who had her clothes dry cleaned , ate breakfast and actually had a schedule. Once Claudia and Anne came it was a lot of coiffed groomed women scheming. ….This Valene storyline being a Carl Burnett character is painful.

by Anonymousreply 228August 24, 2024 4:55 PM

Joan Van Ark hated the “Val has a brain injury” storyline.

by Anonymousreply 229August 24, 2024 5:01 PM

Mack was the weakest link. I couldn't stand him or the actor. Had zero chemistry with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 230August 24, 2024 5:25 PM

They ran out of ideas for all the legacy characters, which often happens in long-running soaps. They threw a lot at Val in the later years trying to find something interesting: abused wife, illiteracy advocate, investigative journalist, and brain injury survivor. They finally killed Val off when (reportedly) Van Ark tired of the show, only to of course resurrect her about a year later. Oh well, at least they didn't give Val a money-grubbing, evil twin cousin named Rita...

by Anonymousreply 231August 24, 2024 5:53 PM

Plus near the end Van Ark stopped eating. She wasn't dewy fresh anymore. I love joking about Michele Lee but she was so dependable in what ever scene or story they fucking threw her in. Her visits to Sid's grave, her Abby kiss, and of course the rose colored glasses speech were top notch Knots.

by Anonymousreply 232August 24, 2024 6:14 PM

Anyone remember Karen's miniskirt? I remember everyone I was watching it with just jumping up and being in hysterics.

by Anonymousreply 233August 24, 2024 6:17 PM

They had the perfect storyline for Val under their noses. Val, the overly protective mother of the twins, fought JR during the early seasons of Dallas to see her daughter Lucy, telling Bobby more than once that she wanted nothing more than for Lucy to live with Gary and herself as a family.

In spite of this, Lucy came to Knots Landing only once, and Val only visited her daughter one more time (for her wedding). Val and Lucy both mentioned having a strained relationship in later years. The only time Gary saw her was when he had to come back to Dallas to deal with Jock’s will.

I get that Charlene Tilton wasn’t a great actress, and didn’t fit in with Knots Landing. So recast the role-Dynasty recast each of the Carrington children. I can’t anyone saying that Charlene was such a great actress that she was irreplaceable.

I get that the KL producers didn’t want to encourage ties to Dallas, but considering that Val’s desire to be a good mother to her kids, it seems odd in retrospect.

Lucy could have come back and caused all sorts of drama-imagine if she had seduced Ben, and not Cathy, for example.

by Anonymousreply 234August 24, 2024 6:18 PM

[quote] top notch Knots

Say that out loud three times!

by Anonymousreply 235August 24, 2024 6:18 PM

Can you imagine Charlene Tilton trying to hold her own with the legitimately great actors on Knots? She’d be eaten alive by Julie Harris alone. Charlene’s line readings were always very odd, very halting. I agree Lucy would’ve generated story, but man that would’ve been painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 236August 24, 2024 6:22 PM

Charlene might have risen to the material though. All they gave her on Dallas was miss piggy with a gay husband sex kitten. Who fucked her uncle. Dough Sheehan should have been Greg's younger, evil brother. They had a resemblance. Would have been better than Joe Kelly redux.

by Anonymousreply 237August 24, 2024 6:25 PM

I found it extremely sad when Gary lost his ranch. I get it that budget constraints didn't allow much location shooting anymore. But man, that ranch was Gary's dream, and it was part of him. Moving back from the ranch to the gul-de-sac would have killed me. I'm surprised that it wasn't a reason for Gary to drink again.

by Anonymousreply 238August 24, 2024 6:27 PM

Lucy was only good for sniping at JR. She wouldn't have worked on Knots, unless she could've gotten under Abby's skin somehow.

by Anonymousreply 239August 24, 2024 6:27 PM

I would have recast Lucy with a competent actress . The character had potential, not Charlene Tilton.

by Anonymousreply 240August 24, 2024 6:36 PM

Kristin Bell - I know the years aren’t right - but could have been a Lucy from the thin tense Knots Ewing Clan of Joan Van Ark, Julie Harris & Ted Shackleford. She had that creepy creepy young girl part on “Deadwood” - she seemed almost feral.

by Anonymousreply 241August 24, 2024 6:45 PM

Gary and Val were apart for years after JR took Lucy. Yet, during that time, hot, drunk, vulnerable Gary Ewing never married a gold digger, or fathered a bastard, who might show up to cause a rift between he and Val (or Abby)? Missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 242August 24, 2024 7:52 PM

I think Val was so overprotective of Betsy and Bobby because of how things turned out with Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 243August 24, 2024 8:14 PM

Marcy Walker from All My Children/Santa Barbara would have been an interesting recast Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 244August 24, 2024 8:18 PM

Here is Karen in the miniskirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245August 24, 2024 8:38 PM

In the later seasons, I loved Anne/Claudia's exchanges like these...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246August 24, 2024 8:40 PM

That mini skirt scene is pure gold — all three of the actors played it pitch perfect!

by Anonymousreply 247August 24, 2024 8:48 PM

Frank Williams is giving his daughter Julie a talk about safe sex and HIV/AIDS. It’s odd, considering he died just a year after this aired.

by Anonymousreply 248August 24, 2024 10:23 PM

R248, that watermelon diet was not safe for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 249August 24, 2024 10:31 PM

I thought of that during the aids speech, also…… No more Ronnie Troupe ( I think I added too many E’s) aka Chip’s wife Polly from My Three Sons as Meg’s babysitter.

by Anonymousreply 250August 24, 2024 11:29 PM

Meg was special needs, right?

by Anonymousreply 251August 25, 2024 12:51 AM

R248 that actor looks so much like a guy I used to date. I’ve been drooling over him for days now. His Wikipedia says his widow insists that he didn’t use needles or fuck around with guys. Yeah. Me neither gurl.

by Anonymousreply 252August 25, 2024 1:37 AM

Lorenzo Caccialanza is sexy. I bet Nick was one hot rentboy during his Italian youth.

by Anonymousreply 253August 25, 2024 2:58 AM

There is a great scene in the next (shitty) season-Karen goes to Claudia’s house and knocks on the door, and Nick answers in a towel. Karen tries to pretend she’s not checking him out, and the towel drops.

by Anonymousreply 254August 25, 2024 3:02 AM

I liked Ronnie Troupe on the show. She had some great scenes when various characters used her as a sounding board during Laura's funeral, when she had a polite, frozen smile and a get-me-the-fuck-out-of-here look in her eyes. Carlos, Peggy, Marsha the New York-voiced gal at the car dealership and Lotus Point, Bob and Mort the Sumner Group version of Beevis and Butthead..the casting department had a knack for bringing in good talent for the background characters.

by Anonymousreply 255August 25, 2024 3:04 AM

Wow - I’m dosing in and out but still slogging through. Geez - where did Paige get that big head of hair all of a sudden. Jason is in the hospital after the paintball thing. Anne just got thrown out of her makeover. I don’t enjoy Gary with darker hair. …… So - do we think it will start over again approx tomorrow afternoon?

by Anonymousreply 256August 25, 2024 5:53 AM

Michele Lee’s facial expressions are absurd in this car chase. She looks like a mime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257August 25, 2024 5:56 AM

R527 Karen messed up those gangbangers good in that video!

by Anonymousreply 258August 25, 2024 7:09 AM

R227 Was that Mac's little piece of rough trade in the back seat of R257's video?

by Anonymousreply 259August 25, 2024 7:22 AM

Karen ran a stop sign and almost killed a bunch of people because her blouse got ruined. She really had some rage issues that were barely contained at this point in the show.

by Anonymousreply 260August 25, 2024 7:32 AM

In retrospect, I think Ben ended up being the most tragic character. He left town (and a good marriage) to chase that evil CIA agent (or whatever she was, Jean Hackney) and to protect his family. Disappeared to South America and we never found out what became of him. I believe Val got him legally declared dead so she could divorce. His voice was used very effectively in the Jill "Poor Val" storyline.

It was very haunting.

by Anonymousreply 261August 25, 2024 8:17 AM

Great soapy stuff aside, some of the things I've enjoyed, and found most interesting, in this rewatch are the cautionary realities of the business stories. The environmental and socio-economic impacts of Lotus Point, the intelligence implications of Empire Valley, the natural resource opportunities of Tidal Energy. I didn't pay much attention back then, but it's all very relevant all these years later.

by Anonymousreply 262August 25, 2024 10:52 AM

Karen's mini skirt remained relevant too.

by Anonymousreply 263August 25, 2024 1:53 PM

so dreamy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264August 25, 2024 2:00 PM

Looks like the channel is now rotating between the full series of KL and Falcon Crest

by Anonymousreply 265August 25, 2024 2:12 PM

R264, it's too bad times weren't different. Michael Fairgate could've had a sizzling gay romance.

by Anonymousreply 266August 25, 2024 2:24 PM

I'm not sure I could explain why, but for some reason I always thought Mark Soper was super hot. I was happy to see him join the cast but that Tidal Energy storyline was horribly mishandled and he was abruptly written off.

For me, there was also history in the Tidal Energy story -- the show spent a lot of time dealing with environmental issues, and it harkened back to an early story involving Sid's plans for green car engines and corn-based oil with Abby and Gary wrecking it to hell.

Tragically, they matched cutie Mark with that vapid non-entity Stacy Galina. They should have stuck her with Michael Fairgate to the McKenzies and Sumners linked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267August 25, 2024 2:37 PM

R226 - Ha! I meant to type "man" instead of me. Aside from our both being brunet, Devane and I look nothing alike.

by Anonymousreply 268August 25, 2024 2:40 PM

[quote] I think Val was so overprotective of Betsy and Bobby because of how things turned out with Lucy.

Agreed, and the writers could have mined that a bit better while scrambling to find stories for Val. Clearly there must have been some relived trauma for her raising babies (also later in life) when her first child was stolen away.

They show also exceled when they focused on the psychology of the characters, their relationships to one another, and plots emanated from their individual flaws and quirks. Bad soap writing relies on stunt stories (e.g. Karen being stalked on her TV show) that could be cut and pasted to any other show.

by Anonymousreply 269August 25, 2024 2:44 PM

[quote] Michele Lee’s facial expressions are absurd in this car chase. She looks like a mime.

14 fucking years on TV and Lee never learned the difference between camera acting and stage. She was always playing to the balcony. Her quieter, more reserved moments on the show (rare as they were) probably were created by a more controlling director.

by Anonymousreply 270August 25, 2024 2:47 PM

R265 - I think the channel would be better served as either On Demand or with a set schedule, like Soap Net did. Also, I don't think it's possible to DVR streaming channels so if you miss an episode at 3am, it's gone. People won't want to watch continuing stories in random chunks, so the whole endeavor seems doomed to me. But it was fun to see the old KL episodes again after so many years of being largely (or legally) unavailable.

by Anonymousreply 271August 25, 2024 2:51 PM

I guess it had to do with all the behind-the-scenes turmoil of the later seasons (and frequent writing staff/showrunner changes, but they seemed to determined to torpedo stories with potential and then drag-out the nonsense. Val and her never-ending brain injury turned virus, Anne's comical but overused fast cash schemes, Mac's obsession with Jason (that sadly missed the opportunity for real introspection into Mac's long-ago established story about having his own abusive father), Gary's stultifying girlfriend Amanda, and the endless palace intrigue at Sumner Group.

Meanwhile they dropped the engaging Lance Guest as Greg's nephew/half-brother foil, Michael's prescient acumen with the nascent internet technology, Sumner's third world barbary with toxic chemicals (barely touched upon despite his actions leading directly to the death of oldest child), Olivia morphing from sanctimony to venality (turning into her mother, a fate worse than death to her), and more. It's as if they had the right ingredients but kept screwing up the stew.

by Anonymousreply 272August 25, 2024 3:11 PM

Did they ever explain why Mary Frances and Kate were identical cousins? That was just bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 273August 25, 2024 3:12 PM

I know! As closely as I tried to watch - I watched all day ona Saturday with Val and the babies - fell asleep and missed her running away and working at the diner. She was already home when I woke up. Another night after power watching the Jill pills story - I fell asleep when only Frank believed Val and woke up with Frank, Mack, Karen and Gary questioning the forger. I would have love to have dvr’d tose episodes over night. I didn’t know about the channel until Valene was pregnant - I missed the early wonderful episodes with Richard, Sid, Ciji - the Abby/ Gary affair - Lili Mae’s arrival, Chip and Diana - I have to take care some things so I can prepare for the next watch …… I never watched Falcon Crest - I worked on Friday nights - wasn’t that that when I was on. Didn’t Susan Sullivan’s ring get caught in the pool drain?

by Anonymousreply 274August 25, 2024 3:23 PM

The original writers left to produce Homefront on ABC, and the show became increasingly more expensive, even though it was still a solid performer for the network. That explains the final seasons more than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 275August 25, 2024 3:24 PM

I would guess that it would be too much to dream that Homefront could be shown on this channel. TVLAND tan it for about 8 minutes 20 years ago. I had bootleg DVDs years ago but I don’t know if they survived the last move. homeland would be another rabbit hole to fall through.

by Anonymousreply 276August 25, 2024 3:29 PM

Didn't you always get the sense that the actor who played Michael Fairgate was hung? I thought Olivia's boyfriend Harold (Paul Carofotes) as hot.

by Anonymousreply 277August 25, 2024 4:44 PM

I hope one of you bitches took the opportunity to process all episodes for widespread torrent distribution.

by Anonymousreply 278August 25, 2024 5:15 PM

I agree with R277, Harold was SO hot. I also liked Nick.

Am I remembering correctly, the character of Nick was named for one of the show’s hairstylist? I think the real Nick is married to Lauren Koslow? Or was all that part of a Knots fever dream?

by Anonymousreply 279August 25, 2024 5:41 PM

I hate Gary losing his ranch.

by Anonymousreply 280August 25, 2024 5:42 PM

we loved her but we used to count the number of times Karen would blink during an episode. I think six was the highest she ever got. I think Michelle Lee is a vastly underrated actress though. She put the "ing" in Landing.

by Anonymousreply 281August 25, 2024 5:50 PM

Watching this at this point in time - few thoughts - yes Michelle Phillips was underrated. I love Joan Van Ark but lord on a Marathon watch - Dial it down. She got SO THIN - that usually doesn’t bother me - but it seems like once Julie Harris left Val was ON ring a ding ding ding every scene she was in. Eyes bulging, smiling too hard - I can’t explain it. It’s like - Joan - don’t use it all up at one - relax….. This is total bitchery but where as Val got skeletal I noticed Michele Lee was a pretty good sized girl in some seasons…… I used to dismiss Nicolette Sheridan back in the original years - she was so beautiful and expensive looking it looked like she had the world by the tail. I think her career didn’t live up to what it could have. That whole Desperate Housewives Marc Cherry thing was crummy and then blah. And we’ll - Donna Mills is IT.

by Anonymousreply 282August 25, 2024 6:43 PM

Did Devon ever com visit?

by Anonymousreply 283August 25, 2024 6:49 PM

I would have gone on the trip with him just to give him hourly blowjobs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284August 25, 2024 7:04 PM

i think it was 1991. I was hired to work 2 days for the Soap Opera Digest Awards. The day before was dress rehearsal and all the presenters were coming in to go over the stage directions, etc. Dick Clark was the Producer and overseeing everything. Ted Shackleford and Michelle Phillips came in together, sat at a roundtable just hanging out, waiting for their turn rehearsing on the stage. Ted got up to step out for a bit; Dick Clark sat down in his seat. I overheard the conversation. It was "Mama" Michelle and "American Bandstand" Dick reminiscing old times; Dick asked Michelle about her kids. Michelle went on and on about how proud she was of Chynna (it was at the height of Wilson Phillips popularity).

I just thought it was pretty cool!

by Anonymousreply 285August 25, 2024 7:16 PM

R285 That is a great story! I forgot - “Hold On For One More Day would have been a hot then!

by Anonymousreply 286August 25, 2024 7:32 PM

Hit - damn I need to wear my glasses!

by Anonymousreply 287August 25, 2024 7:33 PM

[quote]Dick Clark was the Producer and overseeing everything

Was he DRUNK OFF HIS ASS?

by Anonymousreply 288August 25, 2024 10:53 PM

Felicity Waterman is an untalented trail of cat sick. She makes Lisa Hartman seem like Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 289August 25, 2024 11:35 PM

Whatever happened to Michael’s hyperactivity/ADHD?

by Anonymousreply 290August 25, 2024 11:41 PM

They never used Michael the way they should have. They should have put in an underage affair with Doug Sheehan.

by Anonymousreply 291August 25, 2024 11:42 PM

I assume we're supposed to believe it was a lie, but I never understood how Joe Robeson went from being Mary's hot son to her schlemiel brother between seasons. In reality, the writers probably changed their minds, but I have no idea why.

Also, I just watched an episode where Joe Robeson gives the order to get Val out of Tallahassee. So the Robesons were in on Val's kidnapping? Why and how? I thought Val's demise was tied to the final Big Bad (Treadwell). Hard to believe Joe would be in charge of anything more complicated than taking a lunch order at work. And for whatever reason, Mary then turned out to be Laura's aunt instead of her birth mother (although she was still adopted).

by Anonymousreply 292August 26, 2024 11:52 AM

Here we go, the series finale is about to begin!

by Anonymousreply 293August 26, 2024 4:43 PM

Valene's disguise, consisting of dyed frizzy brown hair and librarian glasses, make her the spitting image of Ginny in billing.

by Anonymousreply 294August 26, 2024 5:04 PM

Aunt Ginny in billing?

by Anonymousreply 295August 26, 2024 5:10 PM

My channel went out!

by Anonymousreply 296August 26, 2024 5:47 PM

It's a shame, Joan had already started fucking with her face before this return.

by Anonymousreply 297August 26, 2024 5:50 PM

Sisters starts next - grr - I would love to see the Knots Landings I missed at the beginning. Damn I have been glued to this more than a week - I feel a little lost now that it’s over …. I must say I watched “Tbe Affair” over and over - Dominic West’s Noah reminded me a bit of Ted Shackleford’s Gary.

by Anonymousreply 298August 26, 2024 6:40 PM

Showtime's The Affair was wonderful! The first two seasons, especially, were hypnotic. It fell apart some in the middle, (Season 3 was awful!), but I thought it redeemed itself nicely in the final season.

I would love to watch the entire series again sometime.

by Anonymousreply 299August 26, 2024 6:45 PM

Sisters? The Sela Ward programme? Angsty.

I would've probably watched Knots (intermittently) again. It's been a fun, nostalgic two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 300August 26, 2024 7:14 PM

Rock paper, scissors is all I remember .

by Anonymousreply 301August 26, 2024 7:38 PM

I want my Valene!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 302August 26, 2024 8:01 PM

Just finished 5 months of binge-watching Knots. Loved every episode and loved revisiting the clothing, decor, and cars from the early eighties.

[R277] Michael is hung. There is a scene during when he was dating Paige where he comes down the stairs into Karen's Livingroom wearing sweatpants and it flops. Meanwhile, Gary wears the tightest pants since Bo and Luke Duke and NO bulge is ever seen.

I wish they used Dorian Lord/Robin Strasser more. She started out bitchy and fun, and then became nice, and then gone.

by Anonymousreply 303August 26, 2024 8:10 PM

This, r303?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304August 26, 2024 8:25 PM

[quote] I want my Valene!!!!!

Sounds like motor oil...

by Anonymousreply 305August 26, 2024 10:11 PM

Now that it's all over I feel ridiculously bereft. Mary!!!

I wish it had stayed on for a few more years. CBS wanted to renew it for 2 more seasons. I think the idea was to keep the Ewings and the Mackenzies and Abby bring in new neighbors at the cul-de-sac.

by Anonymousreply 306August 26, 2024 10:15 PM

R305 is that you, Sid?

by Anonymousreply 307August 26, 2024 10:16 PM

Devane and Sheridan both wanted to leave at the end of the 14th season.

Wasn’t CBS thinking about spinning the young characters-Michael/Paige/Johnny/Olivia/Harold-off onto their own show around 1988? That’s what that stupid Mexico story was about.

by Anonymousreply 308August 26, 2024 10:18 PM

R306 i totally agree - I have been falling asleep to it and waking up with it. I was unloading the dishwasher earlier and the theme song kept going through my head. ….. I WISH they would run it again starting Labor Day Weekend!

by Anonymousreply 309August 26, 2024 10:20 PM

Does anyone know why Don Murray left?

by Anonymousreply 310August 26, 2024 10:36 PM

There is a really good interview with John Pleshette on Knots Landing .net - it is approx 20 years old - he had just filmed his Sopranos episode. He said that Don Murray was restless with the whole and wanted to move on AND he wanted more money. The combination of both things was very good for Kevin Dobson!

by Anonymousreply 311August 27, 2024 12:10 AM

It was so fitting that Karen got the last shot of the series.

by Anonymousreply 312August 27, 2024 2:34 AM

And Abby got the last line!

by Anonymousreply 313August 27, 2024 3:14 AM

Abby breezes back into town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314August 27, 2024 5:12 AM

I thought Robin was awful, but it was a poorly written one-dimensional character. When CBS lowered the budget in hopes of cancelling it's expensive series. I think they deliberately brought it bad writers to torpedo it. It somewhat resurrected its final season....

Also, I don't know why most of you hated Stacy Galina. She grew on my after awhile, and I loved the episode introducing her as Mary Francis when she shockingly got killed off at the end. Greg had become my favorite male character by that point, and it was kind of bold to venture into his inner psychological turmoil. I think it was Devane's best work on the series. He should have been Emmy nominated.

by Anonymousreply 315August 27, 2024 6:04 AM

I have always thought that Chris Lemmon missed his father’s “magic” his Karen’s stalker didn’t any zing like the usual Knots good but really bad guys.

by Anonymousreply 316August 27, 2024 11:51 AM

Oh dear, Oh dear and one more Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 317August 27, 2024 12:11 PM

It is supposed to start again Monday night Sept 2nd! Grab Chip & Ciji & Peggy and Caesar …….

by Anonymousreply 318August 27, 2024 7:00 PM

[R304] Wow. That's it!

by Anonymousreply 319August 27, 2024 8:53 PM

Poor Val.

by Anonymousreply 320August 27, 2024 10:31 PM

It is available on demand on Plexi now.

by Anonymousreply 321August 28, 2024 11:35 PM

R321- I just checked and only seasons 1-5 are on demand. Thats a good start but we need 6-10 to make me truly euphoric.

by Anonymousreply 322August 29, 2024 1:47 AM

A young Valene in Bonanza. Jesus fuck was she gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323August 29, 2024 3:07 PM

All seasons are officially up!

by Anonymousreply 324August 29, 2024 5:38 PM

30 years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325August 29, 2024 6:06 PM

R323 - Poor Joan, always playing a damsel in perpetual distress.

by Anonymousreply 326August 29, 2024 9:57 PM

Who's the hot daddy chasing poor Val?

by Anonymousreply 327August 29, 2024 10:00 PM

Now that you have access to all of Ciji's music, which one of you is going to finally put together the greatest hits album?

by Anonymousreply 328August 29, 2024 10:04 PM

I remember my older sisters LOVING Ciji. They thought she was the best singer ever. In their defense they were in high school.

by Anonymousreply 329August 29, 2024 10:08 PM

I’m watching Lilimae mow down that asshole Chip again. It’s very satisfying!

by Anonymousreply 330August 29, 2024 10:13 PM

I loved Ciji, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331August 29, 2024 10:14 PM

Yeah. I don't think anyone has attempted or achieved as much homicide as Lilimae and not serve time. I loved her. Everyone I know who watched when we were young loved her too. Her running Chip down was a highlight of the whole series.

by Anonymousreply 332August 29, 2024 10:15 PM

I always though Lisa Hartman was going to have a breakout career after Knots. Then she got her hands on that Clint Black money and that was that. She didn't care anymore.

by Anonymousreply 333August 29, 2024 10:17 PM

Its a great episode for people who hate assholes. In addition to Chip getting mowed down, Eric slaps that twat Diana across the face as Karen and Abby watch.

by Anonymousreply 334August 29, 2024 10:19 PM

If the Hallmark channel was around in those days, Lisa Hartman could've had nonstop work for a decade or two.

by Anonymousreply 335August 29, 2024 10:20 PM

Shit, I just looked up Clint Black's discography. That boy has sold a lot of records.

by Anonymousreply 336August 29, 2024 10:25 PM

^ But does Clint have any Journey covers?

by Anonymousreply 337August 30, 2024 11:45 AM

They should’ve also had Lisa as Cathy sing Heart’s “These Dreams”

by Anonymousreply 338August 30, 2024 1:04 PM

R338, great idea. Makes me wish we had heard Cathy sing "(How Will I Get You) Alone" over the radio at some point during the Jill-is-obsessed-with-Gary storyline.

by Anonymousreply 339August 30, 2024 2:39 PM

I could never tell if Val was saying Gary or Geary. That shit finally drove me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 340August 30, 2024 9:32 PM

I missed the first season on the 24-7 marathon channel, so I'm just revisiting "The Lie," episode 4, the bizarre early installment when Laura meets a rapey artist at the Knots Landing singles bar.

by Anonymousreply 341August 31, 2024 3:52 AM

Falcon Crest just started the first episode - if they run the whole show I don’t see how they can start the Knots marathon on Monday night - I know I can run episodes on Demand but I enjoy the marathons so I can clean and do laundry and Stuff with Knots in the background. ….. Maybe it’s just the pilot but the sets on Falcon Crest look so cheap!

by Anonymousreply 342August 31, 2024 2:40 PM

I love the On Demand, and the quality looks pretty damn good (compared to bootleg or piracy) but God Damn, Plex loves commercials and for some weird reason they never line them up with the natural commercial breaks already built into the episode. Even more annoying is when you have to wait 2 minutes of dead air because there were no buyers for the airtime. WTF. I find Tubi's commercial breaks to be shorter and less frequent, but they too break in whenever they fucking feel like it, even in the middle of a sen--

by Anonymousreply 343August 31, 2024 2:50 PM

Meant to add also that I wish (hope) Plex offers an ad-free option soon. I wouldn't mind paying $5 or $10 a month to watch their On Demand of old movies and old TV shows without breaks.

by Anonymousreply 344August 31, 2024 2:51 PM

I wish they had enlarged Olivia's part beyond her drug use. Abby should have brought her into the business. She would have made a great foil for Paige. I really think the actress who played her really grew nicely into a young adult actress. By the end of the show she was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 345September 1, 2024 8:19 PM

Abby should have manipulated Gary into adopting Olivia and Brian after she knew Val’s babies were his-it would have given the two of them a stronger tie to Gary and Val. I also think the writers should have found a way ti involve Gary and Karen in the Sumner Group after Lotus Point went away.

by Anonymousreply 346September 1, 2024 8:22 PM

Was Lilimae let go because of budget cuts or she just didn't want to do it any more. The show was much less without her. If anything they should have made her part bigger. We never got enough of Lilimae. Mowing Chip down cemented her as a Knots legend.

by Anonymousreply 347September 1, 2024 8:25 PM

Lilimae was OG Gangsta.

by Anonymousreply 348September 1, 2024 8:27 PM

Laura and Lilimae were let go for budgetary reasons

by Anonymousreply 349September 1, 2024 8:28 PM

Glad they are up! I watched a couple of episodes from the first 2 seasons but the ones I watched were kind of boring. Watched the episode that’s really the first I remember being wowed by (I was 13 or so) …when Abby takes Val to get her babies, and that horrible actress yells at her husband in slow motion to keep driving with the other twin.

I don’t know if it was that episode or another episode in that season, but I was struck by how chic DL fave Constance McCashin looked for 1984. She had a sleek bob, a sleeveless black dress that looks like a dress from today, and then put on a white blazer. I always think about her being a frau on the series, but she looked hot in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 350September 1, 2024 8:32 PM

[quote] I also think the writers should have found a way ti involve Gary and Karen in the Sumner Group after Lotus Point went away.

They did struggle to keep the show cohesive as time went on. Karen and Mac were tangentially tied to the Sumner Group through Michael and Paige, and then towards the end they were named co-CEO as steward's of Meg's interest. They also tried to link Gary to Sumner with the whole Empire Valley story and briefly when Gary ran against Greg's faux bro Peter in some campaign. Also, Gary was romantically involved with Kate who was Sumner's niece.

by Anonymousreply 351September 1, 2024 9:07 PM

Gary Ewing featured heavily in my sexual awakening.

by Anonymousreply 352September 1, 2024 9:40 PM

^ According to a friend of mine, who was an L.A. waiter in the early 80s, Ted was available for some side play.

by Anonymousreply 353September 1, 2024 11:05 PM

Oh, reeeaaaalllyyy, r353. Intrigued.

by Anonymousreply 354September 2, 2024 5:54 AM

Gosh, What are they talking about Geary?

by Anonymousreply 355September 2, 2024 1:31 PM

I once said I enjoyed AC/DC. I meant the band, but hot young guys started ramming their asses onto my dick and well... in for a penny.

by Anonymousreply 356September 2, 2024 1:46 PM

Are there enough wealthy DLers who can finance/crowdfund a new season of Knots Landing?

Some notes for a pitch:

Abby is homeless (Donna Mills says she would love to see Abby homeless and then fight her way back to the top). At least one of the grown-up Avery, Fairgate, Mackenzie, Sumner children and their family now live on the cul-de-sac. Mack is dead. Val has to get herself together when Gary shows signs of dementia. Karen is still meddling (and is convinced Mack was murdered). Paige is a now a lawyer like her late dad Mack, and has a hot gay son by disgraced former governor Greg. There's a new Lotus Point.

by Anonymousreply 357September 2, 2024 8:25 PM

I want Karen in a rest home with dementia Pissing her pants and getting teased by the aides. Poor Val my ass.

by Anonymousreply 358September 2, 2024 8:34 PM

R357- I don’t want to see Abby homeless. I don’t know why Donna Mills has such a hard on for that storyline. I guess there’s a reason writers exist. Hard no from me.

by Anonymousreply 359September 2, 2024 10:23 PM

Come on people, Knots has been off the air for so long that Olivia and Brian's children are having children!

Michael Fairgate is 58. fifty-effing-eight.

Olivia Cunningham is 47.

If either of those characters had children, those characters would be in their 20s, early 30s.

But I do wonder, what ever happened to the children Laura had when married to Richard (you know, Meg's much older half-brothers)?

by Anonymousreply 360September 2, 2024 11:33 PM

Kenny and Ginger's baby, Molly Ward, would be about 43 now.

Kate Whitaker would be in her mid 50s

Jason Avery would be around 53, while his brother Daniel would be about 43.

Meg be in her mid-late 30s

Diana Fairgate would be 61

Brian Cunningham would be in his mid 40s

Bobby and Betsy Ewing would now be 38-40 range

Feel old yet?

by Anonymousreply 361September 2, 2024 11:47 PM

By the way, I think Olivia would be 55 today. She said she was 18 when married Harold in 1987.

by Anonymousreply 362September 2, 2024 11:50 PM

58 and 47 are not what they were in the 80s, so with some clever writing and some recasting, Olivia, Brian, and Michael and their kids could be interacting in interesting ways with the core group of Karen, Val, and Abby.

Yes, R360, I'm curious about what happened to Daniel and Jason Avery--and Richard and his wife we never saw, who might look like Laura.

by Anonymousreply 363September 2, 2024 11:51 PM

Karen, Val and Abby are all around 75-80. If Karen or Val slapped Abby now, they would shatter their wrist and likely kill her.

by Anonymousreply 364September 2, 2024 11:54 PM

I think the reboot could have some good Grace and Frankie vibes. Maybe Mack and Gary were gay for each other all those years.

by Anonymousreply 365September 2, 2024 11:55 PM

My middle aged children, my middle aged children

by Anonymousreply 366September 3, 2024 12:55 AM

Is everyone now streaming the show on Plex as it’s finally on-demand?

by Anonymousreply 367September 3, 2024 1:27 AM

I don't know if I want to watch it again. I think a YouTube clip now and then is sufficient. I loved Knots when it was. It ended when I was 17. As an out in the world adult I might view it differently and the affection I have for the show might be diminished. For instance, I loved Alice when I was a kid. Watched it as an adult and hate now.

by Anonymousreply 368September 3, 2024 2:14 PM

Knots is better than Alice, which was pretty much trash. Bless Linda's heart that that thing ran for eight years. That was mostly in the days before everyone had a TV remote...

by Anonymousreply 369September 3, 2024 6:00 PM

Knots sure what's happening, but Knots season 2 episode 5 "Kristen" is playing right now on Primetime Soaps (3:00pm eastern). I'm pretty sure that Falcon Crest was only on season 3 this morning.

by Anonymousreply 370September 3, 2024 7:29 PM

How dare you insult Alice R369! You obviously don't know quality tv.

by Anonymousreply 371September 3, 2024 7:32 PM

I love how the true fans always just called it "Knots".

by Anonymousreply 372September 3, 2024 7:39 PM

[quote] I might view it differently and the affection I have for the show might be diminished.

I feel the same way. I watched these 80s soap as a teenage gayling and truly enjoyed them all. I have watched all seasons of Falcon Crest twice since then and find the last three seasons unwatchable. Seasons 2 to 5 are gold though.

by Anonymousreply 373September 3, 2024 7:49 PM

How maddening that it is 25 anniversary week of The Sopranos with a marathons all week and documentaries this weekend - opposite The Knots Landing marathon!!

by Anonymousreply 374September 4, 2024 5:50 AM

We're about to say goodbye to Sid. Truly a shock to my 12yo gayling heart in 1981.

by Anonymousreply 375September 4, 2024 10:06 AM

Let's be honest: What would Sid have done in Lotus Point? The man had to go.

by Anonymousreply 376September 4, 2024 12:34 PM

No one can know the road not taken, but certainly losing Sid let the show grow like a weed. Through Mac they brought in Paige and Greg, two megawatt characters. And Mac's profession lent itself to way more possibilities than owning a car dealership/garage. Plus, if we're going to be honest, Sid was just boring AF. Even in his best stories (the rape, the mob) he always felt like a supporting player. Don Murray was probably one if not THE best actor from the original cast, and his name carried some cachet early on, but by season 2 it was time to move on. Murray did himself a huge disservice (which he readily admitted) by quitting, but it really saved the show.

by Anonymousreply 377September 4, 2024 2:53 PM

The show made a lot of big errors in casting throughout its entire run, but the ones they got right, they really got right

by Anonymousreply 378September 4, 2024 4:15 PM

Curious, R378, who do you think was miscast and who was well cast?

by Anonymousreply 379September 4, 2024 4:23 PM

I don't think it was casting errors. It was more writing areas with a few characters that could have been a lot more, underused I guess. The show was so good though it didn't really matter. I guess my only casting complaint would be bringing on too many new people when they didn't need anyone else. I think 98 percent of the time their casting was right on point. Brilliant even. Not everyone would say "Get me Donna Mills!". Yet her casting was one of the best in TV history.

by Anonymousreply 380September 4, 2024 6:29 PM

Yes, there were more than a few characters who could have been much more underused a lot sooner in their runs on the show

by Anonymousreply 381September 4, 2024 6:35 PM

R380 - OK. There were a few roles which I think could have been better cast:

Kim Lankford as Ginger - I suppose she was cast primarily for her looks and natural SoCal aura, but she wasn't much of an actress and didn't have a lot of charisma that jumped off the screen. Plus she was probably TOO pretty to play the long-suffering, cheated-on wife of Kenny. Ginger often felt like a younger version of Laura, and one was enough in the early years.

Stacy Galina as Mary Frances/Kate - The whole identical cousin was played straight, God help the writers. And for what? Galina was often the weakest link in any story. She lacked charisma and sexiness, and just came across like a 12 year old in roomful of adults. Was that supposed to be the role? Her naiveté made Val look worldly. Bad, unnecessary character played by a forgettable actor.

Penny Peyser as Amanda - Maybe it's personal, but I just found her incredibly annoying. She also had a goofy, frightened look on her face like she just was kittens being tortured on youtube. Another one with zero magnetism and middling acting skills. Gary's mystery caller could have been SO many things, and yet they ended up with this pointless and soon abandoned character. A mistake all the way around.

Kathleen Noone as Claudia - The actress, while attractive, was no Hollywood beauty and frankly seemed, well, full-figured. It seemed odd that so many men were lusting after her (Galveston off camera, Alex, Nick, some CEO for a few episodes). She was a decent actress but she just exuded housewife from every pore so it was difficult to buy her as a college professor-turned-corporate CEO. I don't know if they meant for Claudia to be the new Abby, but she rated about a 2 on the Abby scale.

Honorable mentions would go to Larry Riley as Frank, Peter Reckell as Johnny (terrible actor), Felicity Waterman as Vanessa, and Chris Lemmon as Jeff,.

There were, on the other hand, many good choices in casting included the above-mentioned Donna Mills (who knew?).

by Anonymousreply 382September 5, 2024 12:56 PM

I thought that Kathleen Noone was fantastic in this role. She just exuded fun being manipulative. Her character was written surprisingly three-dimensional with a lot to hate and a lot to relate to. I thought Noone and Claudia were a bright highlight in the late KL years.

by Anonymousreply 383September 5, 2024 3:40 PM

How is the audio/video quality of the show on Plex? Is it low-res (264p), straight from the original? Or was it upscaled somehow to 480p or even 720p? Not assuming they were able to scale it up to 1080p.

by Anonymousreply 384September 5, 2024 3:43 PM

I always disliked Noone as Claudia, for the reasons R382 mentions, as well as her obvious "acting" which seemed like a cliché of someone from the legitimate theater slumming it on television.

by Anonymousreply 385September 5, 2024 5:13 PM

Claudia had potential, but having her inadvertently get her son killed ruined it for me.

Greg having a younger brother who romanced Paige would have been more interesting than Kate.

Or-instead of Claudia, bringing a recast Jane Sumner could have been interesting. Jane made a play for Mack at one point, too.

by Anonymousreply 386September 5, 2024 7:39 PM

Killing off Steve Brewer so quickly was just dumb. Lance Guest brought the right mixture of moral indignation and impish charm and, for me, was one of the more interesting characters brought on towards the end. He even made Kate (Galina) bearable, which is no small feat. I don't know why that choice was made or by whom, but it hurt the show IMO.

Claudia trying to send her son back to prison (and inadvertently getting him killed) was the final nail for me with her. I wish the cop had shot Kate instead. Multiple times.

by Anonymousreply 387September 6, 2024 12:35 PM

R382 Good analysis. Agree w all except Claudia. I'm partial to her because of All My Children. I think writers came up with the singer storyline for Ginger, realized she couldn't sing and brought in Lisa.

R377 Sid was even the background character in the super fuel storyline!

Also, Halle Berry (Debbie) was a wasted character with Frank. She should have been with Gary. Gary was the himbo of the show.

by Anonymousreply 388September 6, 2024 7:13 PM

Gary was a whore. A cheap, drunken whore! He fucked everyone except me!

by Anonymousreply 389September 6, 2024 8:03 PM

Sid deserved to die just because of his clothes.

by Anonymousreply 390September 7, 2024 1:56 AM

Ok I have been watching The Sopranos all week. I know that Knots is On Demand . What happened to the con tips marathon watch? I know it started again on Mon Sept 2 - but yesterday Sisters was running and this morning Falcon Crest is on - are the just streaming samples now?

by Anonymousreply 391September 7, 2024 12:44 PM

I always wondered if the Fairgates were originally meant to be Jewish. They all had common Jewish first names: Sid, Karen, Diana, Eric, and Michael, and obviously Lee and Lonow were Jewish in real life. I wonder if 1978 CBS had cold feet about having their lead characters not be Christians. Lord knows it took them a decade to have a black family live on the cul-de-sac, and we never did get any gays. Even today you don't see a lot of Jewish leads in soaps (primetime or daytime).

by Anonymousreply 392September 7, 2024 1:26 PM

Michael is a common Jewish name?

by Anonymousreply 393September 7, 2024 1:30 PM

R392 Wow! - that is so interesting! You are right! Now I will keep noticing it!

by Anonymousreply 394September 7, 2024 1:44 PM

R393 - About as common as David. Not especially Jewish (like Sidney) but common.

by Anonymousreply 395September 7, 2024 1:49 PM

Very interesting, R392. I chuckled during one episode when Paige told Michael that Karen was a yenta.

by Anonymousreply 396September 7, 2024 2:21 PM

That's what it looks like R391 which is a shitty way to keep eyeballs on the channel. I was bummed the other day expecting to tune back into Knots, only to have Sisters (which I don't consider a soap) airing instead.

by Anonymousreply 397September 7, 2024 4:46 PM

R397 - Sisters was soap adjacent, like the far better-written Picket Fences and St. Elsewhere were. Sisters, like those, was a continuing drama, but much soapier in its penchant for melodramatic storytelling and overacting.

by Anonymousreply 398September 7, 2024 5:12 PM

I think you appreciate UNDER-acting, Mrs. Chadwick at R398!

by Anonymousreply 399September 7, 2024 6:26 PM

I wouldn't schedule any of the three mentioned on a network named Primetime Soaps.

by Anonymousreply 400September 7, 2024 6:36 PM

R400 - Well, let's be honest. Plex will air what's available and in their budget...

by Anonymousreply 401September 8, 2024 1:11 AM

BTW, R400, on record Lee, Mills, and Van Ark have all claimed that Knots Landing was not a soap opera but a drama.

Personally, I think calling the channel "primetime soaps" is unnecessarily limiting and could put off potential viewers. I would have just called it Classic Primetime Dramas or something to that effect.

by Anonymousreply 402September 8, 2024 1:13 AM

OT, I've been watching Falcon Crest and these early seasons were really great drama. The season 5 cast is stacked. Besides the regulars, there's Cesar Romero, Anne Archer, Simon MacCorkindale, Morgan Fairchild, Apollonia and peak Ken Olin. I forgot what a boss bitch Ana Alicia's Melissa was.

by Anonymousreply 403September 8, 2024 5:47 PM

The first season and 1/2 Dynasty was a completely different show.

by Anonymousreply 404September 8, 2024 7:43 PM

R404, while I loved Alexis and stuck with the show until the end, I really believe that the initial tone and stories were better.

by Anonymousreply 405September 8, 2024 8:32 PM

Yeah Dynasty was a better everything, quality wise, the first two seasons. However, it became much more fun.

by Anonymousreply 406September 8, 2024 8:45 PM

[quote]on record Lee, Mills, and Van Ark have all claimed that Knots Landing was not a soap opera but a drama.

I'd agree with this. However, its soapiest years (seasons 6 to 9) were its best.

by Anonymousreply 407September 9, 2024 4:00 AM

[quote] Yeah Dynasty was a better everything, quality wise, the first two seasons.

Losing OG Steven was a bad blow to the show, then they lost OG Fallon while simultaneously bringing on far less talented/interesting actors as ridiculous substitute children and dollar-store recasts. Alexis' scene-chewing antics and OTT stories were just eyeroll material, but God -- the real killer of the show was whoever did their casting.

by Anonymousreply 408September 9, 2024 11:52 AM

In defense of Emma Samms: She was more than capable, but was given really shitty material to work with on The Colbys and Dynasty. Case in point: In Dynasty's last season she was actually very good when original Fallon peaked out of the scripts again.

by Anonymousreply 409September 9, 2024 5:29 PM

The last season of Dynasty was awesome--a final course correction, alas too late...I have to admit that I liked The Colbys way more than most. It too seemed to be branching out as it came to an abrupt end.

What a time to live in, though--when TV could create these epically expensive shows with 20 or more episodes (!! )with superstar regulars and guest stars.

by Anonymousreply 410September 9, 2024 6:25 PM

Hmmm.. so now we're back into season 1 eps of Falcon Crest.

by Anonymousreply 411September 9, 2024 9:14 PM

And now we're on season 1 eps of Knots. No rhyme or reason to this channel. Oh well, still fun.

by Anonymousreply 412September 9, 2024 10:22 PM

Ok - Val and Gary aka GEERY just moved into their new house on the Cul de Sac …. Richard is out looking for a light bulb ….

by Anonymousreply 413September 9, 2024 10:23 PM

Kenny was a hottie.

by Anonymousreply 414September 10, 2024 1:41 AM

The most bizarre episode of Knots Landing has to be the WTF one where for some lame reason all the women have to spend the night in some old house Laura is selling and Val communes with a child ghost. Was this supposed to be an ode to Henry James?

by Anonymousreply 415September 10, 2024 11:43 AM

Were they toying with the idea of bringing Don Murray back (not as Sid) in season 7? I’m rewatching the end of this season and Sid’s name comes up in every episode. Karen, Abby, Eric, Olivia and Val all mention him. Usually when a dead character is referenced on a soap they’re either coming back from the dead or the actor is returning to the show.

by Anonymousreply 416September 10, 2024 3:52 PM

And maybe also an homage to The Haunting, R415, featuring a pre-Lilimae Julie Harris.

R416, I feel like Sid's possible resurrection was spoofed around the 200th episode in the blooper clip done by the cast, when Greg knocks on the Mackenzies door, declares himself to be Sid with plastic surgery, and kisses Karen.

It was also floated as a storyline idea for the reunion movie in 1997.

I'm glad Sid and Laura stayed dead. Their deaths defined the show, and it would've been a cheat to see them back.

Jill Bennett, on the other hand, would've been interesting. Too bad her death couldn't have been more ambiguous. What a cliffhanger Season 10 would've been, if we discovered Gary's caller was really Jill.

by Anonymousreply 417September 10, 2024 9:41 PM

Did Devon ever visit?

by Anonymousreply 418September 10, 2024 9:42 PM

I've never seen the episode airing now, where all the women are taken hostage during a home invasion.

Diana escapes and calls the police. Laura slaps the shit out of "slut" Abby. Ginger is, seemingly, about to miscarry. Karen gets clocked in the face with the butt of a gun.

Good stuff!

by Anonymousreply 419September 11, 2024 10:11 PM

Apparently Knots Landing was a very dangerous place to live in the first season... motorcycle gangs, home invasions, rapes in the afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 420September 11, 2024 10:23 PM

Now Erics Fairgate and Stoltz are getting baked at a house party.

by Anonymousreply 421September 11, 2024 10:38 PM

Don Murray has a very hairy chest. He is on the table hooked up to machines.

by Anonymousreply 422September 12, 2024 3:12 AM

Lilimae was only supposed to be a three or four episode character. When she left after that there was such a reaction that they brought her back the next season.

by Anonymousreply 423September 12, 2024 3:57 AM

^ She had a hugely loyal and vocal fan base of fellow harpsichord players.

by Anonymousreply 424September 12, 2024 11:46 AM

So when Steve Shaw died in real life, did they just write off Eric and never mention him again? Did they not want Karen to have lost a husband a son?

Pat Peterson was really cute as Michael. I think he quit acting after Knots ended?

by Anonymousreply 425September 13, 2024 11:26 AM

I can't remember off hand, but Eric was mentioned a few times in the later seasons during the Linda-Michael story. Shaw died in 1990, and Linda Fairgate was active on Knots from 1989-1992 so probably yes. That was her second go on the show; she originally appeared briefly in season 9 as Eric's granola-loving/tree-hugging new wife (87-88). Of all the Knots characters, Linda arguably had the most dramatic 180 in her character going from sanctimonious hippie to ruthless yuppie with little explanation.

Yes, Patrick Petersen retired from acting. I saw a video by him on youtube a few years back answering a couple of questions about the show. He seemed remarkably blase and indifferent about it, and now has his own business in California (health foods I think).

by Anonymousreply 426September 13, 2024 11:51 AM

R366 - It would be funny if after all this time it turns out Bobby and Betsy weren't really Val's babies and they did die at childbirth. Ooops.

by Anonymousreply 427September 14, 2024 12:22 PM

HAAAAAAARRRRREEEEEEEEE they want to take the BAAAAABBBBEEEEEEES

by Anonymousreply 428September 14, 2024 2:53 PM

Good lord - Joanna Pettit as the detective on Ciji’s case - wow that was a thankless role. Not to mention she is wayyyyu too old to wear those Flashdance head scarves at work!

by Anonymousreply 429September 16, 2024 2:49 AM

R429, she had that great voice though.

by Anonymousreply 430September 16, 2024 2:54 AM

Did every lesbian in the 80s take hairdo inspiration from Lisa Hartman?

She looks so dykey. I am surprised she didn’t crush a can of Bud against her forehead and tell Richard Avery to suck her dick.

by Anonymousreply 431September 16, 2024 3:13 AM

Well, Lilimae just mowed Chip down. I love that look on her face.

by Anonymousreply 432September 16, 2024 4:25 AM

He had it coming. She should have backed up and taken that asshole Diana out too.

by Anonymousreply 433September 16, 2024 4:27 AM

r429 - Petit's character had backstory with Mack when he was still a relatively blank slate on the show. I always assumed they were testing the waters for a triangle with Karen but it didn't materialize. They did take that route sorta later on with Anne and sheepishly with Paula.

by Anonymousreply 434September 16, 2024 11:40 AM

I really like Joanna Pettit in a lot of things (The Group) - but maybe how her part was written - so much diva scenery chewing from Lee, Mills, Van Ark , Harris and Lonow in that story line - it’s almost like she just couldn’t pull the inner quirky diva out of herself and faded. maybe that was the reason for the last minute head bands. Millie Perkins didn’t bring the heat either. When Nicolette Sheridan and Michelle Phillips arrived - they were on fire from “go.” ……… I am behind on this scoop - I didn’t know that Kim Lankford dated Robert Durst for 18 months - this was during a time period he was doing fishy stuff.

by Anonymousreply 435September 16, 2024 2:37 PM

Every time I saw Claudia on the screen I expected to see Myrtle Fargate to come running up with a dress for her to try on.

by Anonymousreply 436September 16, 2024 5:02 PM

Kim Lankford’s BFF was Durst victim Susan Berman. She was interviewed several times about him.

by Anonymousreply 437September 16, 2024 6:26 PM

437 - well - I feel another rabbit hole calling me ….

by Anonymousreply 438September 16, 2024 7:10 PM

I like Plex. They do get a lot of stuff you don’t find anywhere else free.

by Anonymousreply 439September 16, 2024 8:21 PM

We're kicking into the Wolfbridge Group now (on Freevee, mercifully). Diana's hiding Chip at the Ranch, Gary is obsessing over Ciji lookalike Kathy, Karen is starting to spiral on pain killers, Greg is trying to play Mac, Laura is suspicious of Abby, Val and Ben are just getting started. Knowing where it's all going really highlights how talented and clever the writers were.

by Anonymousreply 440September 16, 2024 8:39 PM

Poor Ben.

by Anonymousreply 441September 16, 2024 8:41 PM

So many of the plot points in season 5 continued to generate stories for years:

Lotus Point; Abby and Gary’s marriage; Val’s pregnancy and the paternity of her babies; the romances of Greg and Laura as well as Val and Ben. The paternity of Bobby and Betsy wasn’t fully settled until season 12.

And Mary Frances Sumner, in seasons 5 and 11,, was a pushy pain in the ass. No wonder Greg and Jane didn’t want her around.

by Anonymousreply 442September 16, 2024 10:13 PM

Mary Francis Retton and Eric had a sweet little romance in season 5.

by Anonymousreply 443September 16, 2024 10:26 PM

*Frances

by Anonymousreply 444September 16, 2024 10:26 PM

Eric should have knocked up Mary Frances. Then they could have married. Buttinsky Karen and pushy Mary Frances would fight so much over parenting that Karen would have returned to pills.

by Anonymousreply 445September 16, 2024 10:40 PM

I figured Mary Frances was meant to be a replacement of sorts for the departed Diana -- young ingenue lead. For whatever reason that didn't seem to work out and then they brought in Paige.

by Anonymousreply 446September 17, 2024 11:35 AM

I wanted to kick Diana in her cunt bone.

by Anonymousreply 447September 17, 2024 9:57 PM

Diana IS thoroughly unpleasant. ….., is Millie Perkins - Jane/ Summer / Mack’s college back story triangle erased once Anne - Michelle Phillips comes into the picture? Does the Anne/ Mack/ Summer Triangle erase the Jane/ Sumner/Mack backstory - or do they mention Jane in those flashbacks? I don’t remember!

by Anonymousreply 448September 18, 2024 4:06 AM

Jane got barely more attention paid than did Sid's long-forgotten first wife, Susan, or Karen's orphaned step-daughter Annie.

by Anonymousreply 449September 18, 2024 11:47 AM

The Diana character could have been interesting with just about any other actress under the sun playing her. It wasn't so much that the character was so unlikable the actress just had resting punch me in the face face.

by Anonymousreply 450September 18, 2024 8:28 PM

Yet she was completely believable as Michele Lee's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 451September 18, 2024 11:41 PM

It was cool to see Claudia Lonow/Diana in the last season as a fashion designer in NYC, and nice that they didn't recast the part. Good bookending on the writers' part, too.

by Anonymousreply 452September 19, 2024 2:16 AM

Diana’s storylines really compelled Lee to dial up her hammy tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 453September 19, 2024 2:19 AM

if she got any more hammy she would have been the whole pig. lover her though.

by Anonymousreply 454September 19, 2024 3:25 PM

There is something bizarrely watchable and entertaining about Michele Lee, but she should definitely have Boar's Head stamped on her forehead.

by Anonymousreply 455September 19, 2024 10:28 PM

I'm watching right now (Karen and Mac are on Dr. Ackerman's trail, Abby is imploding over the babies, Ruth is eating the sofas). Michelle Lee is so invested, you have to love her and root for her. The everywoman as superhero.

by Anonymousreply 456September 19, 2024 10:35 PM

Rewatching this made me realize that, with a few exceptions (Baldwin, Devane and Pleshette), the male actors on this show were a lot less talented than the actresses. I’m glad they didn’t keep revisiting the “Gary is on a drunk bender” story the way Dallas did with Sue Ellen, because Ted Shackelford is cringe as a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 457September 19, 2024 10:35 PM

Annnd - they found The BAYBEES!!!!

by Anonymousreply 458September 20, 2024 12:51 AM

My 87 year old Dottie mom took a fall and has been in the hospital and then skilled living this week . I have bee binging Knots on my phone the whole time. This morning a pushy PT strongly said my mom should go straight into long term care because she hadn’t yet mastered some foot flexes. I felt down and panicky and tired - AND THEN the POWER of Ms KAREN FAIRGATE MCKENZIE came coursing through me and my shoulders went back and my chin went up and I told the guy to step off in so many words - I would see that my mom got the care she need. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 459September 20, 2024 1:01 AM

R457 Knots and Dallas were like Yin and Yang opposites. Dallas had the strong males with Jock and JR. Even Bobby was written as someone who wasn't afraid of a dirty dealing or two early in the series. Pam, Miss Ellie and early Sue Ellen were all fairly milquetoast and submissive compared to the firecats of Knots.

by Anonymousreply 460September 20, 2024 1:52 AM

R440 funny after all of those years - as a kid being mesmerized by Sue Ellen’s long, long legs, her huge eyes with raccoon smudged eyeliner - staggering around with her chunky tumbler full of sloshing melting ice. ….. That and what a twisty WTF mouth Mary Crosby had. ….. We Return our Programing to Lotus Point ….

by Anonymousreply 461September 20, 2024 2:46 AM

I liked Sue Ellen's early season's hairdo where she couldn't quite decide where the part should go, and also how her whole mouth would roll when she's say "Jaaaaay-ahhhhr". I watched for about the first five years before losing interest, but Sue Ellen was always my favorite character on the show.

by Anonymousreply 462September 20, 2024 11:40 AM

There are time periods when the joy is gone. I loved Doug Sheehan as Joe Kelly on GH . He had fun chemistry with Richard Dean Anderson as Jeff W. But Ben is an odd character. When he is good he is good . But damn he was annoyed mad and mopey too much of the time. Moody. If you are THAT sensitive all of the time, don’t marry Tennessee Williams heroine Valene. And now I’m just mean - the arms of his shorts and jackets were weird….. I remember “Day by Day” with Linda Kelsey , but I don’t remember seeing him after that. He always reminded me of John Payne in “Miracle on 34th St” …… I know he died a few months ago. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 463September 21, 2024 3:45 PM

Shirts - not shorts!

by Anonymousreply 464September 21, 2024 3:46 PM

[quote] I loved Doug Sheehan as Joe Kelly on GH . He had fun chemistry with Richard Dean Anderson as Jeff W.

And to think I wasted all that time worrying about stupid Annie Logan!

by Anonymousreply 465September 21, 2024 3:48 PM

Sheehan was given an awful storyline in his last year on KNOTS--shrill, ridiculous, and drawn-out espionage nonsense with Jean Hackney. Loved his scene of choking Lilimae, though. And I loved when Greg referred to Ben and "Tennessee Williams heroine" Val as Dagwood and Blondie.

by Anonymousreply 466September 21, 2024 7:27 PM

Another random musing from the rewatch - it’s about Michele Lee. Did you notice th at in the first few seasons - the Don Murray years - she showed a lot of skin. She was really thin with the low full boobs. She didn’t shy way from halter tops, bathing suits, watering the lawn in shorts. Plus a few scenes where she would let her hair down and in a skimpy dress or negligee dab herself with perfume. Then suddenly she became Conservative Karen. I know that she divorced James Farentino during that time and married executive Fred What’s his name. the “Don Murray Karen” could have gone toe to toe with Anne. I never noticed it before. Watching several years in a row made me notice that Karen got a little frumpy.

by Anonymousreply 467September 21, 2024 8:07 PM

^ It was the early 80s. She just said no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468September 21, 2024 10:13 PM

Lee did NOT want to go toe to toe with Mills however. Plus someone had to be the yenta of the cul-de-sac. Val was too loopy and Laura was to fragile. Ginger was simply an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 469September 21, 2024 10:17 PM

I am so watching the Charles Scott/Abby storyline and the timing doesn’t make sense.

It aired in the 1987-88 season, and supposedly happened 20 years prior to that. This means that Diana would have been 3 or 4 years old (she was 18-19 during the Chip storyline), and Eric would have been at most, a year old (since he was in college in 1987).

But Sid and Karen don’t have children and aren’t married, since Charles calls Karen “Karen Cooper” when he sees her again. This is like a sloppier version of the previous season’s storyline with Anne and Mack.

We do find out during this story that Abby’s first husband Jeff ran a successful business, which she helped him start, so that does help explain where she gets her money when she first arrives in Knots Landing.

by Anonymousreply 470September 23, 2024 4:45 AM

Omg don’t post without editing:

1.) There shouldn’t be a “so” in the first paragraph.

2.) The first sentence in paragraph two should read: “ It aired in the 1987-88 season, and the Charles/Abby romance supposedly happened 20 years prior to that.”

by Anonymousreply 471September 23, 2024 5:38 AM

The Charles/Abby story line was my first indicator back then that they ran out of ideas for Abby. I didn't care for the story. It felt very isolated when it could have been a major thing for Lotus Point. And the casting of Michael York felt like stunt casting.

by Anonymousreply 472September 23, 2024 5:52 PM

It is a terrible story rR72. I am noticing there is big stretch of the 1987-88 season after Laura’s death that is very lifeless and dull. The drug running at Lotus Point story is dumb. And I can’t believe they thought they could spin the kids (Michael/Paige/Johnny) onto their own show using this as the basis.

by Anonymousreply 473September 23, 2024 6:13 PM

R72 I have watched Knot's all the way thru at least twice (although it's been a few years) and I barely remember that storyline.

by Anonymousreply 474September 23, 2024 6:59 PM

I’m confused ( ok ok) I saw Olivia trying to return Abby’s clothes for cash … I saw Abby snatching the cocaine away from Olivia BUT ehst happened to the episode where Abby and Olivia battle over the drugs?

by Anonymousreply 475September 23, 2024 10:03 PM

R475 - It's included as part of this clipfest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476September 23, 2024 10:07 PM

Omg - I know I’ve said it before but I think Joan Van Ark’s hair and outfits in season nine are dread ful! That mullet! I am watching part one of Laura’s funeral - what is that camouflage pajama pantsuit and that messy mullet ponytail- awful….. I think it is sweet when Greg comforts Jason by the pool.

by Anonymousreply 477September 26, 2024 2:18 AM

That thick, glossy perm has gone to my head.

by Anonymousreply 478September 26, 2024 2:23 AM

R478 Ask me no questions I’ll tell you no Lye!

by Anonymousreply 479September 26, 2024 2:38 AM

LOL Lilimae we hardly knew ye.

by Anonymousreply 480September 26, 2024 2:40 AM

Is there a recent photo of Pat Peterson? He looks like he might grown up to have some issues with being bald. He was awful cute.

by Anonymousreply 481September 26, 2024 9:26 AM

[quote] I think it is sweet when Greg comforts Jason by the pool.

And then kicked him and Daniel out the door to go live with loser Richard. They're going to miss the horses and the trust fund.

by Anonymousreply 482September 26, 2024 11:31 AM

It’s almost time for Jill to force the pills on Val. My mid numbs Out on the Mexico story every time….. can you see Jill trying to give Val those pills if Lilimae came home? She would club Jill with a frying pan.

by Anonymousreply 483September 27, 2024 3:06 AM

Jill would never get away with it today: Ring camera, cell phone tracking, higher level of security at airports, car tracking devices, and no more answering machines and pay phones. Plus they stopped making wigs out of dead cat hair.

by Anonymousreply 484September 27, 2024 11:31 AM

Usually watching almost any show pre 1995 - the cell phones are the game changers. ALOT of telephone mishaps on Seinfeld. So many problems, misunderstandings or dramas could be averted in plot lines if only the characters had a phone! Knots Landing for me the biggest game changer is DNA. Peter Hollister & Sumner? DNA test. Val’s babies every step of the way DNA test. Is Mack really Paige’s dad? DNA test. ….. There were more of them - what were they?

by Anonymousreply 485September 27, 2024 2:33 PM

^^From what I remember, Sumner knew Hollister was not his brother, but wanted everyone to believe it for reasons I can't recall. I think Laura knew also.

by Anonymousreply 486September 27, 2024 10:13 PM

Of course Peter wasn't his brother. How on Earth could Howard Duff and Ruth Roman produce a child that looked like Hunt Block?!

by Anonymousreply 487September 28, 2024 12:10 PM

[quote]can you see Jill trying to give Val those pills if Lilimae came home? She would club Jill with a frying pan.

Or run her over.

by Anonymousreply 488September 28, 2024 12:14 PM

^ But then there would have been no office scene of Val going Pamela Voorhees all over Jill's ass.

by Anonymousreply 489September 28, 2024 12:40 PM

Greg wanted to push Peter into the political career he gave up when Paul Galveston died and he took over Galveston Industries. He planned to use Peter to push his own political agenda, so he pretended Peter was his brother.

by Anonymousreply 490September 28, 2024 2:40 PM

Did Abby ever tap Peter or was he just doing Paige while flirting with underage Olivia. And how did Jill end up being his (secret) real sister? That kind of came out of left field.

by Anonymousreply 491September 28, 2024 5:45 PM

Joe Kelly should have been Peter.

by Anonymousreply 492September 28, 2024 5:54 PM

Abby fucked Peter, who was fucking Paige and leading Olivia on.

Peter and Jill (whose real name was Dottie) both grew up in Westphall, the town adjacent to Empire Valley whose water was contaminated by Galveston Industries. This led to the death of Peter and Jill’s parents. They both decided to get revenge on Galveston Industries, using separate tactics-Jill through the law, and Peter by using Sylvia Lean to collect millions.

For awhile, they were implying that Peter and Jill were lovers, until they got into a big fight and Peter hugged her and said, “you’re my sister.”

Gary was the only one that knew Jill was Peter’s sister. He did tell Mack after she died.

The worst part of the Peter Hollister murder was Paige’s punishment. Mack made her go to Greg and Abby to apologize-and that was it . She should have been menaced in women’s prison, or Jill could have tried to kill her, too.

by Anonymousreply 493September 28, 2024 6:23 PM

I would have killed to see Doug Sheehan play an irredeemable bad guy.

by Anonymousreply 494September 28, 2024 6:25 PM

I am watching the Williams’ family introduction. Pat is a lot more interesting than Frank. And goddamn the MacKenzies would be the neighbors from hell, they’re so snoopy.

by Anonymousreply 495September 28, 2024 8:41 PM

(R490) Thank you. Are you also R493?

by Anonymousreply 496September 28, 2024 8:46 PM

I am r496

by Anonymousreply 497September 28, 2024 8:47 PM

Jason Avery was played by Danny Gellis. Anyone know anything about them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498September 28, 2024 9:40 PM

I’ve attached Danny Gellis’ IMDB bio which shifts pronouns from they/them to he/him and back again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499September 28, 2024 9:41 PM

I loved the bit that had Jill carrying around Peter’s cremains for a few episodes — especially when she smacked Paige with the handbag that contained the urn.⚱️

by Anonymousreply 500September 28, 2024 9:43 PM

They really nailed Val at the funeral. Karen saying that Val’s emotions are all over her face and Abby mentioning that Val dresses like a teen Queen. Yes - Jill with Peter’s urn was great!

by Anonymousreply 501September 29, 2024 2:33 AM

you have to admit what made Knots great, and what the other night time soaps lacked was a sense of humor. Probably about 25% of Knots was pure comedy. Fucking hit with an urn LOL. The funniest thing was that fucking mini skirt Karen wore and Abs reaction to it.

by Anonymousreply 502September 29, 2024 2:41 AM

Yes -!Karen and the mini skirt is priceless! …. I think it would have been fun to have “Sally’s Friend@ turn to the camera while she is on the phone with Gary and it’s Lisa Hartman.

by Anonymousreply 503September 29, 2024 3:56 AM

The voice of Sally's friend was Teri Austin. But the actress who ended up playing her was Penny Peyser. What was that about?

by Anonymousreply 504September 29, 2024 6:21 AM

Sally's friend was Lar Park Lincoln's body and her voice dubbed by Teri Austin. It was a mind fuck to keep viewers guessing her identity until she was revealed in the next season as Peyser. I can't remember if this was before or after Linda's murder. Lar said in an interview she was set to play Sally's friend, but this idea changed after the producers left to produce a new ABC show called Homefront, there was a change in stories and a big decline in Knots.

by Anonymousreply 505September 29, 2024 9:02 AM

In the melancholic episode after Linda's death, Karen reflects with some mixed feelings if Linda deserved such a gory end. Once again Karen's repressed lesbian tendencies briefly come to the surface as she feels a mix of relief and disgust over the demise of Linda.

by Anonymousreply 506September 29, 2024 9:15 AM

When I feel a mix of relief and disgust - that reveals lesbian tendencies?

by Anonymousreply 507September 29, 2024 12:41 PM

Michele Lee was really quite pretty in season one

by Anonymousreply 508September 29, 2024 2:05 PM

Did Michele ever blink?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509September 29, 2024 3:15 PM

The frilly blouses and short hair Jill sports in the second half of season nine really make her look crazy.

by Anonymousreply 510September 29, 2024 5:47 PM

So often characters just fizzle out, and even though you used to like them you're glad they are gone. My personal examples would be Cathy Geary, Ben Gibson or Abby Sumner. But the way they farewelled Laura was very classy. While relegated to sidekick for a long time, they gave her a last episode in which she was in every fucking scene. I thought that was a very nice gesture.

And Jill kinda fizzled out in her last season too. And then the writers were like: 'Ok, your character is so done. But before you leave, could you do one last thing for us? Kill Val.' And out she went with a killer cliffhanger and a bang. Her exit in the trunk was probably the most effective one.

by Anonymousreply 511September 29, 2024 7:34 PM

R511

PRODUCER to Constance McCashin:

Good News: You're being given a very special where you're in every scene. It could win you the Emmy!

Bad news! You're fired!!

by Anonymousreply 512September 29, 2024 9:24 PM

The Poor Val and the pills episode/arc were just fucking brilliant. mmmimcan'twithommwater SWALLOW THE PILLS VAL.

by Anonymousreply 513September 29, 2024 10:25 PM

*gulp*

by Anonymousreply 514September 29, 2024 11:09 PM

She really is the og Karen r495…

by Anonymousreply 515September 29, 2024 11:27 PM

R5111- Abby Sumner “fizzled out”? Are you demented? What self-respecting Knots fan was happy that Abby was gone? She was the straw that stirred the drink! I’ll grant you her last scene was abysmal but that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 516September 30, 2024 12:55 AM

I just finished watching season 9, and I can kind of see your point about Abby, r515. They softened her way too much after Peter Hollister’s death. She came roaring back in her final season in the Murakame storyline, but it was too late-I think Donna Mills decided to leave because of season 9.

by Anonymousreply 517September 30, 2024 12:59 AM

Yeah, Abby's last season before leaving Knots was really not her best. It was a little bit same old, same old without the same emotional impact. Sometimes I wonder if the writing staff is tasked to make character less interesting when it's clear that the actor is leaving. Writing out a less interesting character won't be perceived as such a big loss.

by Anonymousreply 518September 30, 2024 1:53 AM

R518- the writers at Cheers did this in Shelley Long’s final season. They purposefully wrote Diane maddeningly insufferable versus adorably so in an effort to bring the audience to a place of “Good riddance!”

Regarding Donna’s last season- she definitely had a couple classic moments (Karen’s slap, the “Abby scale”) but season 9 was all about Jill’s downfall. Nothing could touch that storyline. And Paige became waaaaay too overexposed. Knots’s business plots were always way too convoluted (Wolfbridge, Empire Valley, Galveston Industries, etc).

by Anonymousreply 519September 30, 2024 11:33 AM

What were the circumstances around Donna Mills' exit? Did she leave because she didn't get the raise she wanted? Or was she just done? Was there drama? I never heard anything, other than that she wanted to leave.

by Anonymousreply 520September 30, 2024 4:04 PM

I believe part of it was they ran out of decent storyline. Once you reform the bad girl, there's not much more you can do.....Also, I believe Donna Mills adopted a child and wanted a few years to raise her.

by Anonymousreply 521September 30, 2024 5:36 PM

^^They deliberately left it open for her to come back, which she did in the final episode. It was almost worth it for her final scene.

by Anonymousreply 522September 30, 2024 5:37 PM

Abby to Greg: I'm sorry to leave.

Greg: Not as sorry as the Japanese will be when you get there.

LOL. You have to love Bill Devane's oitch-perfect comic line reads.

by Anonymousreply 523September 30, 2024 9:59 PM

After seeing the Abby “Don’t Worry Be Happy” scene with Abby - she’s leaving for a new life with son Brian in tow. She couldn’t be a total diva with her son there. Her singing Don’t Worry BE happy was sort of like in The King and I on the boat on the way to Siam - Anna and her little boy sing “Whistle a Happy Tune and Bo one ever knows I’m Afraid.” It was sort of a clunky ending but she took Olivia’s credit cards to be a good mother - she was singing to Brian showing him they had a good life in front of them

by Anonymousreply 524October 1, 2024 4:42 PM

Plus - in that Time frame that song (along with Ko ko mo) was played anywhere, everywhere for months and months and months.

by Anonymousreply 525October 1, 2024 5:05 PM

I read her singing the song as a kind of a wink and nod to all the crazy stuff that happens to soap characters and how it all works out in the end. Well, maybe not for Sid, Laura or Pat -- but generally.

by Anonymousreply 526October 2, 2024 11:34 AM

Hi Abs.

by Anonymousreply 527October 2, 2024 4:15 PM

You’re so Pretty!!

by Anonymousreply 528October 2, 2024 7:58 PM

Verna would never capitalize the word pretty…

by Anonymousreply 529October 3, 2024 12:55 AM

Verna would never spell the word pretty without a "u" in it

by Anonymousreply 530October 3, 2024 11:41 AM

It looks like Plex pulled the latest run of Knots early. They have been running Sisters and Falcon Crest in its place. I get burned out on Knots pretty much after Abby leaves. Thaw last 2 seasons are too dark and a long slog. I am hoping when Knots pops back on schedule it will be with Kenny and Ginger and Sid and his cold. …. The early years are perfect background to clean the house.

by Anonymousreply 531October 3, 2024 7:07 PM

I live in Northern California, and the only bright side to the Plex commercials is seeing the adorable twunk firefighter with the mustache in the Proposition 5 commercial.

by Anonymousreply 532October 4, 2024 3:18 AM

I just keep getting all of the young people wandering around smiling in a beautiful mountain and being orgasmic over bottled water .

by Anonymousreply 533October 4, 2024 2:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!