Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'English Teacher' on Hulu

New series from Brian Jordan Alvarez about a gay high school teacher. DL's gonna love this one, I can tell already.

Starts September 2nd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 2, 2024 10:45 PM

WOW - looks great.

But, I don't have HULU...

by Anonymousreply 1August 6, 2024 7:23 PM

Wouldn't it be more interesting if he taught French and Greek?

by Anonymousreply 2August 6, 2024 7:37 PM

How many American high schools teach Greek?

As for French, I doubt he wanted to go through the process of learning it, that just adds to the costs of production. Spanish would have been an option, but I think they were going for a comedic juxtaposition of him being an English teacher (who are usually on the stodgier side) and being more woke than his students.

by Anonymousreply 3August 6, 2024 7:42 PM

Looks funny. I love that they used the same high school from the movie "Love, Simon".

r3, if you are in a large High School that's well funded you could have Greek. Rare but not unheard of. Maybe you went to a small/poor school, sad.

by Anonymousreply 4August 6, 2024 9:12 PM

Just heard about this today. It looks great and BJA is adorable. Can’t wait.

by Anonymousreply 5August 6, 2024 9:36 PM

Flop. Brian blew people to get this gig.

by Anonymousreply 6August 6, 2024 9:43 PM

^ so, that takes initiative.

by Anonymousreply 7August 6, 2024 10:24 PM

R6 You sound jealous.

by Anonymousreply 8August 6, 2024 11:58 PM

[quote]if you are in a large High School that's well funded you could have Greek. [bold]Rare but not unheard of.[/bold] Maybe you went to a small/poor school, sad.

That's the point I was making – why make this one of those rare schools when you could instead not complicate your life (and the whole production) and just make him an English teacher instead. Way more relatable. I won't dignify the rest of your crude reply with an answer.

Anyway, this all really is quite irrelevant. I'm looking forward to the show, seems wholesome.

by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2024 3:20 AM

r9 because they will probably play up the storyline that his job is redundant for the very reasons you stated.

I had a part-time French teacher in HS. He was short and sweet little gay man. But he was pissed that the district wouldn't hire him full-time, so instead of actually teaching us French, we watched Family Guy DVDs (thanks Indiana). Safe to say, I struggled with French when he was let go and the full-time teacher lead my Sophomore and Junior French classes. I had to pull a Char and argue for a passing grade because the school failed me during my Freshman year. She would pass me.

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2024 3:21 PM

J'accuse!

Some guy named Jon Ebeling posted a veiled allegation about being sexually assaulted by Brian Jordan Alvarez by referencing the Netflix series "Baby Reindeer" that has a plot point about the wannabe comedian lead being raped by an established comedy writer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 9, 2024 6:20 AM

Brian Jordan Alvarez is super talented and I loved Caleb Gallo. I can’t wait to see what’s he done with this new series.

by Anonymousreply 12August 24, 2024 8:35 PM

The lead actor, Brian Jordan Alvarez, reminds me of a young version of Michael Weston.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 24, 2024 8:44 PM

Will air on FX and stream on Hulu..

by Anonymousreply 14August 24, 2024 8:49 PM

He's cute. Glad he found a series. I'll watch.

r4, Regarding studying other languages in high school discussed here - I'm Greek-American and have no idea why anyone would want to study Greek (Modern or Ancient). It takes an entire semester to just learn the alphabet, which I did as an adult. The grammar is impossibly complicated, worse than English or German. I grew up in California. Greece is a tiny country.

My despised father insisted that I learn Spanish, so I took French from 7th grade through 12th grade because my mother spoke basic French. Wish I'd taken both. While Spanish would have been so much more useful, my B+ French opened up a new world for me while traveling.

Greek and Latin would have been great for learning root words for medical school, which I didn't do.

Looking forward to watching this series.

by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2024 9:37 PM

Glowing reviews left and right. First two episodes out today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2024 6:26 PM

Wouldn't it be more interesting if he taught French and Greek?

—Anonymous Attention DL: The above post was a JOKE. GOOGLE 'French active/Greek passive'. It means what is now termed 'bottom/top' regarding oral and anal sex. JFC some of you are so LITERAL and humorless.

by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2024 6:40 PM

Anyway R2 I thought it was funny

by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2024 6:41 PM

Or it's just a shit joke. Which is probably the reason I've never heard it before. And you can calm down with the all-caps, it's not that serious.

by Anonymousreply 19September 2, 2024 6:46 PM

R19 HAVE A BLESSED DAY.

by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2024 6:55 PM

r11 But unlike Baby Reindeer, he didn't even press charges? It's interesting how people still don't do that in this post-MeToo world, but instead wait and resort to public shaming on the socials once that person hits it big. Sounds to me like he expected a job in the writers rooms in exchange for giving up his bussy, and it never materialised. Sucks, but that's not sexual assault.

by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2024 7:04 PM

*Sorry, I had Martha in mind, I had completely forgotten about that other assault with the writer, which Richard never reported either.

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2024 7:05 PM

Partner and I just watched the first two episodes and really enjoyed them. Can’t wait to see more.

by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2024 3:54 AM

R23, I also just watched the first two episodes and loved them. Really looking forward to seeing the rest of the season.

by Anonymousreply 24September 3, 2024 4:31 AM

Hilarious first two episodes, the dialogue is so damn snappy. Of course, it helps that it's only around twenty minutes, so there's practically no chaff.

The redhead teacher has fantastic hair and is very likeable, with a hot husband to boot. The new teacher, played by Langston Kerman, is an absolute dreamboat with an adorable accent, cannot wait to see more of him.

Great music, love the pink title sequence, the "messaging" doesn't hit you over the head. What's not to love?

by Anonymousreply 25September 3, 2024 11:36 AM

The aggressively straight hosts of The Watch podcast were raving about it earlier this week, which caught me off guard, but is a very good sign! I thought for sure the gayness of it all would be too much for them to handle. Now if they could only relent and watch Interview as well...

by Anonymousreply 26September 7, 2024 6:18 PM

R9 It’s stupid to make the fucking teacher a Greek or French teacher because then the fucking actor would know have to have to speak Greek or French and there there would be scenes in which many of us won’t understand the language for the sake of realism. As a fkin English teacher the class can discuss classics from Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Hurston, and Twain and drawing parallels with the plot with dramatic irony and an overall more exciting watch for the classroom scenes. It’s that fucking simple. Gheesh.

by Anonymousreply 27September 7, 2024 6:25 PM

He corrected a kid's grammar in the second episode, I hope we get more of that, you know how anal some of us on DL are about that. I also hope we get some discussion of the classics, like r27 mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 28September 7, 2024 6:30 PM

Another great episode. Harry is just the cutest guy with the most precious accent. I hate that the actor is straight and happily married.

[quote]I'm thinking it might be good if you unpair Harry and I.

[quote]So if something happens between you and I, it's not gonna be good.

Am I going crazy or did Evan misuse the subject pronoun twice in this episode? Like, I've always been so bad at this, but this feels wrong to me? And if it is wrong, was it done as a joke, because he's the English teacher?

by Anonymousreply 29September 10, 2024 2:33 PM

I like it but there’s just something missing. I’m not laughing out loud and I thought I would be.

by Anonymousreply 30September 10, 2024 10:14 PM

The show has finally found its footing in episode 3.

by Anonymousreply 31September 11, 2024 7:26 AM

I just started watching this last night. I literally Lol'd several times.

I hope it keeps up the comedic pace and doesn't go all "The Bear" on us.

by Anonymousreply 32September 11, 2024 11:05 AM

I love the way they thoroughly subverted my expectations with Henry using POV trickery. I was starting to be convinced he was a stalker type, then realised Evan was making it up in his head, then again thought that maybe no, Evan was right all along. Very nicely done.

by Anonymousreply 33September 11, 2024 2:10 PM

*Harry

by Anonymousreply 34September 11, 2024 2:10 PM

I love how he shows off his pits.

by Anonymousreply 35September 12, 2024 12:05 AM

New episode was not as funny as the first three episodes, but it was still decent.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2024 1:26 PM

I hope Evan realizes what he has with Malcolm and stops chasing that other teacher. We all know it won't work out anyway.

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2024 1:29 PM

My high school used to teach Greek. Not anymore. Just French, Spanish, Latin and Mandarin.

They also used to teach Russian and German

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2024 1:54 PM

That’s nice dear. We don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2024 1:56 PM

I love the snappy but meaningful way they dealt with the gun issue that made me (maybe for the first time ever) see sides from both perspectives, but at the same time didn't engage in botsidesism. Kudos to the writers for even wanting to deal with social issues when they could have just as easily taken the easy way out and given us just another generic funny show. Did you see Evan in the class with the book when he was talking about gun issues – he looked like a fundie preacher. And then dismissing that kid's opinion because his parents are too progressive for him? Really clever writing.

Not the biggest fan of Firstman but I agree with r37, Malcolm is good for Evan. But I also miss Harry because the actor is so dreamy!

The redhead is still my favourite part of the show, she's awesome.

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2024 2:03 PM

The whole episode with the Tourette's Syndrome (asymptomatic) was brilliant. Not only the millennial craziness but also how they all 'supported' her. Truly funny.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2024 9:30 AM

And any show that includes the ex-boyfriend line "lemme give you some head" deserves a writing Emmy!

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2024 9:31 AM

I noticed that, too R29!

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2024 10:02 AM

Poor conception and lazy writing. How is a drag queen teaching hs boys an old hat drag routine supposed to answer a call for female realness?

And he's going to date that other teacher, right? I'm only 2 eps in. And he knows it's fireable. He's a mess.

I like the sassy kids. Adults suck on this show.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2024 2:32 PM

[Quote]Not the biggest fan of Firstman but I agree with [R37], Malcolm is good for Evan. But I also miss Harry because the actor is so dreamy!

I agree. Harry is very dreamy, but I think Malcolm is good for him.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2024 2:49 PM

Malcolm is annoying. I'm not saying he needs to pursue Harry, but ugh, Malcolm is such a handful. Shocking that they didn't work out. Shocking, I tell you.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2024 3:00 PM

During S2 of ABC's "Abbott Elementary" there were people tweeting at Quinta Brunson about how the show should address school shootings. She said they weren't going to explore that, so nice to see English Teacher at least address it. It stated both positions without taking a position and Brian Jordan Alvarez looks good holding a gun, so a win for all.

Evan letting it be known that he is a top was funny.

I enjoy the studenta. Sofia Coppola and Thomas Mars' of Phoenix daughter plays the vapid blonde. She's pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2024 9:02 PM

Is my fav Enrico Colantoni just taking up space or is he actually getting a good role?

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2024 9:47 PM

Colantoni is great in this!

by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2024 4:03 AM

R47 a school shooting wouldn’t happen at Abbott Elementary. It’s an inner city school in Philly. Black chirren don’t do that. And older black teens going through things ain’t going to Call of Duty a local school to say fuck society.

by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2024 6:56 AM

They should bring back the insecure oversharing gay waiter every once and awhile. Fits the theme of fucked up people in Austin, such as Trixie's character.

by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2024 9:21 AM

I also thought the waiter was fantastic R51; and he should definitely be a regular. He was a riot.

by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2024 9:32 AM

Jimmy Fowlie, who played that waiter, also had an occasional guest appearance on The Other Two where he was even more hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2024 12:24 PM

All the times Fowlie was on "The Other Two" was great, but the standout was his appearance in season 3, episode 4. Hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2024 2:06 PM

I think the principal's (colantoni) role has been developed already.

by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2024 2:31 PM

The ep with the drag queen was SO unrealistic

by Anonymousreply 56September 22, 2024 9:47 PM

I also really like Markie, the gym teacher.

by Anonymousreply 57September 22, 2024 9:51 PM

Such an entertaining show, I find myself eagerly looking forward to a new episode each week. "Condoms?!"

Having said that, I'm really starting to miss Harry. I thought he was going to be a regular character.

by Anonymousreply 58September 24, 2024 12:23 PM

In college in the 80s I took an interesting course called Greek and Latin Roots of English Words. Very informative and i actually retained quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 59September 24, 2024 12:31 PM

Episode 1-3 were the best. 4 and 5 were not as funny imo.

by Anonymousreply 60September 25, 2024 10:39 PM

I like Sean Patton. I am a bear lover.

by Anonymousreply 61September 25, 2024 10:58 PM

R60 that’s my gripe with the show. Where’s the comedy?

by Anonymousreply 62September 26, 2024 1:28 AM

R61 I like him too. Just something about him.

by Anonymousreply 63September 26, 2024 1:43 AM

I like it so far. Has Trixie Mattel lost a significant amount of weight?

by Anonymousreply 64September 29, 2024 1:12 AM

Hilarious episode. Jenn Lyon's Linda was as magnificent as her witch character in Dead Boy Detectives (RIP), where she stole every scene she was in.

I listened to a podcast interview with BJA recently and he said the show was a lot "meatier" initially, but then they decided to just double down on the snappiness and make it as lean as possible. And it's worked out so well, there isn't a single second of dead space in it.

by Anonymousreply 65October 1, 2024 2:53 PM

Totally agree, r65. This show gets better with each episode. Jenn Lyon was great. Funny, hateful and somehow sympathetic all at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 66October 2, 2024 1:55 PM

Evan's facial expressions at the restaurant during Linda's seemingly endless narcissistic "Look at me!" performance cracked me up. He was like, "Are you gonna wrap up your little routine anytime today or...?"

by Anonymousreply 67October 2, 2024 2:40 PM

I like the, but I wish the plot resolutions were a bit less simple. "OK, rewrite your Red Badge of Courage essays and try to do better" this week, and "I don't want to come to your parties, I just want to be invited" the week before. Try to do better! (That said, there are always some funny things along the way.)

by Anonymousreply 68October 2, 2024 5:49 PM

^^ like the SHOW

by Anonymousreply 69October 2, 2024 5:50 PM

[quote]"OK, rewrite your Red Badge of Courage essays and try to do better" this week

This episode was (stealthily) about more than just that, it was about the influence school boards and rich parents have on what gets taught in school.

The "I just want to be invited" was simple, but also very relatable. It's hard making new friends when you're an adult for most people, so every time you're excluded hurts.

by Anonymousreply 70October 2, 2024 5:53 PM

My partner is like that, he generally doesn't want to go anywhere, but he's hurt if he's not invited.

by Anonymousreply 71October 2, 2024 7:13 PM

I'm usually relieved to not be invited.

by Anonymousreply 72October 2, 2024 7:48 PM

This show is funny. I don’t get why they use all the ‘80s and ‘90s music though. It takes place in the present, doesn’t it?

It’s Gay Abbott.

by Anonymousreply 73October 2, 2024 9:11 PM

I admit I couldn't finish the first season of Abbott, even though I found it charming enough. Humour was too inoffensive for my (current) tastes and the glances to the camera (i.e. pauses for laughter) got too tiresome, even though I used to love that shit on Parks & Rec.

Having said that, I do think Rothwell's How to Die Alone, which just wrapped, was even funnier and even more meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 74October 2, 2024 9:23 PM

How to Die Alone is absolutely great!

by Anonymousreply 75October 2, 2024 9:41 PM

Stephanie Koenig is a Tina Fey clone.

by Anonymousreply 76October 2, 2024 10:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!