Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jacqueline Susann's 'The Love Machine'

A very good copy of this obscurity has cropped up on YouTube and, to quote Stefon, this movie has EVERYTHING.

Wooden John Phillip Law as the titled "love machine"! Dyan Cannon setting fire to a bed and then catfighting two nellie gay men using an Oscar as a bludgeon! "Introducing Jodi Wexler" as the one-named supermodel Amanda ("I'm Amanda. Just Amanda." "Well, that's all you need.") Poor Jodie left right after being introduced and did not become the new Sharon Tate (she never made another movie).

Hideous Seventies interiors! Mincing, scheming homosexuals! Shecky fucking GREENE!

My favorite character is Ethel Evans, the pushy, aging (she's got to be 35!) nympho publicity woman for the IBS network (whose character is introduced with a toilet flush and her breezing out of a stall).

Dionne "Warwicke" sings the love theme ("He's Movin' On") and there's a show with "the fashions of tomorrow" modeled by Amanda and Anitra Ford. Oh, and Jackie appears as a newscaster next to Walter Cronkite. A complete mess and great fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 6, 2024 1:11 PM

[quote]Hideous Seventies interiors! Mincing, scheming homosexuals! Shecky fucking GREENE!

Sold! Thanks for the link, OP. Sony overcharges for its print-on-demand DVDs.

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2024 6:42 PM

Loved the theme song. Though I wonder if this is the original? It doesn't seem as momentous in the linked version.

Reading the comments, I didn't realize John Philip Law had died. Oh well, I guess it makes sense - the movie was 1971 - more than 50 years ago!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2024 6:45 PM

I laughed out loud when one character snarled, "So you're saying Robin Stone is AC-DC?" and Dyan Cannon snapped back, "BALLS!"

It made no sense, but nothing in this movie does.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2024 6:57 PM

[quote]I laughed out loud when one character snarled, "So you're saying Robin Stone is AC-DC?" and Dyan Cannon snapped back, "BALLS!"

There's probably a "Larry King Live" clip of Cannon giving the same answer about Cary Grant.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2024 7:03 PM

Brian Kelly from Flipper was to play the lead but was in a car accident. When he was in the hospital, the first thing he said was "are there any marks on my face".

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2024 7:06 PM

Dyan was a real looker! I just knew her a Judge Whipper from Ally McBeal

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2024 7:40 PM

Brian Kelly was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2024 7:54 PM

Thanks, OP! Love this kind of trashy retro shit!

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2024 8:14 PM

And Dionne warbling "He's Moving On."

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2024 10:30 PM

R9. She's no Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2024 10:47 PM

This is Dyan Cannon's best work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2024 12:04 AM

I think it's better than Valley Of the Dolls. It's interesting to see how the television industry worked in that era.

There's a character in the book named Judith who's the wife of the network president. She comes from a high society background and is very obviously based on Babe Paley. For the movie version, Jacqueline Susann wanted Grace Kelly to come out of retirement to play Judith! Susann didn't approve of Dyan Cannon playing Judith because she thought that Dyan wasn't "classy" enough.

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2024 12:42 AM

1:04:20 for Jackie's cameo as a newscaster. Jackie did cameos in all of the films based on her books. One critic called her "the Hitchcock of coarseness."

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2024 12:46 AM

Thank you OP!!! I will watch this tonight with my 😺 Trixie..

by Anonymousreply 14August 5, 2024 12:51 AM

Wasnt Helen Lawson signed for a lead in this?

by Anonymousreply 15August 5, 2024 12:58 AM

I just watched this last night and I have a new appreciation for Dyan Cannon. I had never really noticed her before but she's stunningly gorgeous (like a 70s blonde Mila Kunis) and acts absolute circles around everyone else in the movie. Not that that would be hard, but still.

by Anonymousreply 16August 6, 2024 5:25 AM

Allegedly, Jackie wanted Johnny Carson for the lead.

by Anonymousreply 17August 6, 2024 12:54 PM

It's one of those movies you think will be funnier than it is. The big fight scene with Cannon and the queens is hilarious though.

DOCTOR'S WIVES is another "bad but not funny enough" potboiler from the same period, though Cannon is fun in the first scene. She always acts as if she knows she's doing trashy dreck and is determined to have some fun doing it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 6, 2024 1:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!