Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A childhood memory to share with the wo

When I was 5 years old my mom asked my aunt to babysit me overnight sometime during the summer of 1978 so she could attend a Mary Kay cosmetics convention with her friend. I was excited because my aunt was nice and my cousin, Tamara, was fun to spend time with even though she was 10 years older than me. She had recently become a handful for my aunt to manage as she was suddenly rebellious at school and home. She now fashioned herself as a badass instead of the normally sweet yet sassy Tamara I knew. After mom delivered me to my aunts house I immediately wanted to find Tamara to absorb some of her teenage girl wisdom and share my pop culture obsessions with her. I knocked on her bedroom door then announced my entry, Hey she said “Hey, what’s up?” The shades were pulled and it was mostly dark in her bedroom. The soft blue glow of her Pioneer stereo receiver was a focal point. She was stretched out on her bed relaxing which I later realized was her being stoned. My senses were assaulted by the stench of marijuana and the sight of her sucking smoke out of a very tall, strange looking vase. Later in my life realized was a bong. I recall being repulsed by the odor and the sight of her smoking it. She was listening to Alice Cooper on her stereo and had this huge poster of him wrapped in a boa constrictor on her wall. I was repulsed and scared of that poster. I have an enormous fear of reptiles. I asked her if we could listen to my Cheryl Ladd album as I pulled it out of my backpack. She looked at the cover and commented on Cheryl’s cleavage saying something about her tits hanging out of her jacket. She handed it back to me. I knew she didn’t approve. I then decided to leave her room. I was disappointed that she wasn’t fun to be with. I went into the kitchen to find my aunt . She baked some cupcakes and let me help frost them. I love frosting. Later I recall sitting at the dining room table coloring in books I brought from home. Later on after dinner my cousin made way into the living room with me tagging along behind her. She grabbed the remote to turn on the big console TV. My favorite TV show was about to come on - Wonder Woman starring Lynda Carter. I never missed an episode. I asked Tamara if she could put it on channel 4 - CBS. She said we couldn’t watch Wonder Woman because it was stupid. That hurt my feelings. I was ready to go home but had to wait until nearly noon the next day for mom to pick me up. I don’t remember what we watched on TV that evening but I kind of tuned out at that point. I must have fallen asleep and awoke the next morning. I recall quite a commotion going on inside the house, yelling and screaming because Tamara had set the backyard on fire. I remember 2 or 3 fire trucks arriving and several firemen attempting to put the fire out in the yard. My mom came to pick me up during the big ruckus. I remember looking back at the fire trucks and all of the smoke from the fire out the rear window of my mom’s Buick as we sped away. The end.

by Anonymousreply 46August 12, 2024 9:04 PM

A childhood memory to share with the world

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2024 3:25 PM

Learn brevity

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2024 3:28 PM

This is my next movie...

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2024 3:30 PM

Embrace carriage returns, dear.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2024 3:33 PM

Pop culture references Alice Cooper, Cheryl Ladd, Wonder Woman, Lynda Carter, Pioneer Electronics, Buick autos

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2024 3:52 PM

How's Tamara doing now, OP? Frau?

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2024 4:47 PM

I was molested, Miss Tedious.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2024 4:54 PM

[quote]I must have fallen asleep and awoke the next morning. I recall quite a commotion going on inside the house, yelling and screaming because Tamara had set the backyard on fire.

I think you set it on fire yourself, Rhoda.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2024 4:56 PM

Cupcakes? Frosting?

O brave new world, that has such people in it!

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2024 4:56 PM

You seem to think we are part of that "wo" you want to share with, OP.

We're not.

Please don't.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2024 4:58 PM

I fell out of a tree when I was 9.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2024 5:00 PM

Here's a summary in under 50 words:

In 1978, a 5-year-old stays overnight with their aunt and teenage cousin Tamara. The child is disappointed by Tamara's rebellious behavior, including drug use and rejecting the child's interests. The visit ends dramatically when Tamara accidentally sets the backyard on fire, requiring firefighter intervention.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2024 5:04 PM

Remind me to tell you about when I looked into the heart of an artichoke.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2024 6:04 PM

Could you get to the point FASTER?

I have clothes in the dryer which I'll have to take out and fold, I don't have all day!

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2024 6:08 PM

OP, I called my folks from a Friday night sleepover when it became apparent that we were not going to watch Wonder Woman. They came and got me and I caught all but the first 10 minutes or so at home.

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2024 6:14 PM

[Quote] I asked her if we could listen to my Cheryl Ladd album as I pulled it out of my backpack. She looked at the cover and commented on Cheryl’s cleavage saying something about her tits hanging out of her jacket. She handed it back to me

lol

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2024 6:23 PM

OP, you messed up by saying she was listening to Alice Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2024 6:41 PM

Well, um, it's not a Trump thread. There is that.

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2024 6:45 PM

This is why we can't have nice threads ... errr, things.

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2024 6:50 PM

Is she still a stoner. Many of my stoner friends are still, 40 years later. They are a real hoot to hang out with even now.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2024 6:51 PM

We went to visit shirt-tail relatives and they had a daughter they introduced as my cousin named Jeanette - not Janet, not Gina, but “Jeanie”. I was not allowed to disturb this person because she was watching her program - “Sonny & Cher”. I wasn’t allowed to watch because the stars of the show were divorced.

I went out to see her horse (she must have been spoiled) and it was hunkered down between ceiling and a big pile of shit. I felt sorry for him, but he bit my belly (I had a very visible spare tire at that age).

Rain Man Olympics; I win. Again. With paragraphs. Although I type like Brenda Vaccaro.

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2024 7:05 PM

My childhood obsessions: Charlie’s Angels (Cheryl Ladd, Shelley Hack), Wonder Woman (Lynda Carter), The Bionic Woman (Lindsay Wagner), The Muppet Show, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Masters of The Universe, Strawberry Shortcake (the scent of those dolls were intoxicating to me), Olivia Newton-John, Prince, Sheena Easton, Laura Branigan, Madonna!!!

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2024 10:04 PM

R20 she died of cancer in 2018

by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2024 10:05 PM

r23 doubt it

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2024 10:08 PM

Oh, add Solid Gold to my obsession list! I watched that show religiously every Saturday evening (when we didn’t go out for dinner) during its entire run.

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2024 10:09 PM

You doubt what you twit r24??

by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2024 10:10 PM

And then OP, you said, "Is that all there is to a fire?" and realized you should just keep dancing, break out the booze, and have a ball.

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2024 10:11 PM

If you question the veracity of my story I assure you it’s true true true!

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2024 10:19 PM

Did the Hardy boys come investigate how someone sets a backyard on fire?

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2024 10:22 PM

Is this you, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2024 10:35 PM

I’m a man for the love of God!

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2024 10:45 PM

Shag carpet

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2024 7:09 PM

I know damn well we can work it out.

by Anonymousreply 33August 10, 2024 5:02 PM

Where are the paragraph breaks?

by Anonymousreply 34August 10, 2024 5:08 PM

listen, this isn't a mafucking composition class you gay man's school marm.

by Anonymousreply 35August 10, 2024 5:10 PM

get me a fucking pepsi zero sugar before i open a can of whoop ass up in here.

by Anonymousreply 36August 10, 2024 5:12 PM

r12, you forgot to add, the gayest kid that ever gayed.

by Anonymousreply 37August 10, 2024 5:27 PM

You left out the most important part, OP: did any of the firemen make you feel tingly "down there"?

by Anonymousreply 38August 10, 2024 5:27 PM

I’ll take “Things I Could Have Lived Without Knowing” for $1,000, Alex.

by Anonymousreply 39August 10, 2024 5:43 PM

I'll always remember how we spent our Friday nights banging on the radiator and yelling "Fuck! Shit!"out the windows.

by Anonymousreply 40August 10, 2024 5:58 PM

OP, I enjoyed your childhood memories.

by Anonymousreply 41August 10, 2024 6:36 PM

Thx r41

I have all of these eventful childhood memories all bottled.up deep inside. I have to let it flow like a water buffalo.

by Anonymousreply 42August 11, 2024 5:16 PM

This is a retelling

My friends and I were always looking for fun entertainment during the summertime. The fun fountain (a clown with a steady stream on top of its head keeps the plastic hat suspended by water). I think it was made by wham-o. The same company responsible for the slip n slide. Anyway we were playing in the water and also each taking turns pretending we were Jennifer Beals in Flashdance. We’d park ourselves in a carefully placed lawn chair on top of the fun fountain water stream. Our boombox blaring the Flashdance soundtrack on cassette nearby. When I see my visiting uncle come outside and sit on our patio to smoke a cigarette I decide to give him a good show. I cue Imagination by Laura Branigan and then enter the fun fountain stream and give it my best flashdance using the said lawn chair as my prop. There were dramatic solid gold dancer style moves galore! I even lip synched like I was LB!! As the song faded out and my performance ended I looked to my uncle for his approval. He stood up from his chair and yelled BOOO!! With both thumbs down! He then abruptly went back inside the house. I was embarrassed as two of my friends were witness to his reaction. An hour or so later we were finished with our fun afternoon in the water and went our separate ways for the evening. Before I went inside my house I noticed my uncle left his Cubs baseball cap on the patio table. Revenge was all I cared about as I grabbed the cap, put it in my tote bag and headed indoors. Before long I took a big shit in the cap then with stealth returned it to the patio table. He discovered it the next day as I heard him cursing out loud when he discovered shit in his cap. He never confronted me about doing it. Guess he figured he had it coming.

by Anonymousreply 43August 11, 2024 6:18 PM

Don’t turn around

by Anonymousreply 44August 11, 2024 11:04 PM

When my brother was a kid, he and a friend snuck into a cemetary, dug a large hole, filled it in and put a heavy duty piece of cardboard standing next to it that said Here Lies fictional name with a date of death which was the current day. Someone saw it and called the police and it was in the local newspaper. He never got caught but my mother asked if he did it. He said no and turned his head and smiled at me.

by Anonymousreply 45August 11, 2024 11:33 PM

When my mom would hurt my feelings I’d flush her earrings down the toilet

by Anonymousreply 46August 12, 2024 9:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!