Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Frank Langella

The New Jersey-born Italian American actor began his career with Mel Brooks' The Twelve Chairs, but his big break came in 1977 when he starred in the Broadway revival of Dracula, leading to a major film adaptation that established him as a sex symbol. In 2006, he experienced a career resurgence with his portrayal of Richard Nixon in Frost/Nixon, opposite Michael Sheen.

Throughout his career, he became a reliable character actor, appearing in films such as Masters of the Universe, Dave, Lolita, Superman Returns, 5 to 7, and The Trial of the Chicago 7. In theatre, he garnered seven Tony nominations, winning four. He also authored a seductively witty memoir.

At the age of 84, his resilient career came to an abrupt end on the set of The Fall of the House of Usher over claims of sexual harassment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 9, 2024 3:31 AM

He is just a dick. That's it

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2024 7:06 PM

His Vanity Fair interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2024 7:08 PM

Has anyone read his memoir? He narrates it himself on Audible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2024 7:10 PM

I just read his memoir. It’s snapshots of his friendships/encounters with famous people. Bitchy and fun. He does come across as an asshole, though.

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2024 7:10 PM

R4 Is it worth the read?

I listened to Christopher Plummer's memoir last year and loved it. Plummer is so dramatic and witty. Very well written. Have you read it? Comparing the two?

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2024 7:14 PM

I never found him sexy, but he's given some good performances. His book isn't an account of his own life and career, but anecdotes about his encounters with the rich and famous. I agree with R4's mini review.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2024 7:18 PM

I enjoyed his book. But when will he publish vol. 2 about his encounters with MEN? Because he is SUCH a queen.

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2024 7:23 PM

We all know most actors are Bi.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2024 7:27 PM

He IS Frank Langella!

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2024 7:30 PM

R5 yeah, worth it. It’s all about other famous people and what he thought of them. It’s fun. Not so much fun if you’re one of his “friends,” because he’s viscous. But that’s what makes it so fun.

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2024 7:30 PM

My mistake-thought this was a “ Langella is dead to me “ thread-I’ll wait…

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2024 7:31 PM

Okay, I will listen to it. What do you think of the allegations?

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2024 7:42 PM

R11.go jump in a lake

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2024 7:44 PM

She had a tight hole.

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2024 7:48 PM

I saw him in Dracula on Broadway, and EVERYONE, wanted him to bite their neck. He was sex on a stake.

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2024 7:51 PM

I never figured out why he dated Whoopi Goldberg. She doesn’t seem the type to agree to a bearding situation. Maybe she was willing to lick his shitter?

by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2024 8:23 PM

Well said R15! I too saw Dracula on B’Way. Angela was all that and the set by Edward Gorey? Fa-bu-lous!!

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2024 8:40 PM

Watch for Frankie at the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2024 8:55 PM

I blame Langella for this episode.......but also think it could have been handled better by his employer and coworkers.

He was 84 for fucks sake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2024 9:25 PM

Loved him in Dave as the evil Chief of Staff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2024 9:48 PM

R19 That article is pretty fascinating. It’s tough to read because I know a few successful people who I can envision behaving this way. Langella sounds unfiltered and obtuse, unaware of others’ perceptions of his humor.

A big part of aging is adapting to social norms. I hope I never become a gross old guy. I’d feel terrible if people cringed over things I say or do.

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2024 10:00 PM

He implies he shtuped moi..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2024 10:17 PM

I thought the memoir was okay. Bear in mind that he was careful pretty much limiting his gossip to those who were dead.

by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2024 10:40 PM

Legendary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2024 10:47 PM

I always love the story one of the producers told about Langella once his head had become swollen after the success of "Dracula."

The director of "Dracula" called the producer a few weeks into the run, and told him Langella was insisting that when he first appears on stage he should be preceded by two large dogs, who would precede him into the room and sit on either side of the doorway as he entered. he insisted this had to be done because it would look so cool. The producer was as flabbergasted as the director, and then had the brilliant idea to call Langella and say, "Hey, I hear what you wanted to do with your first entrance! That is so generous of an idea from you--the dogs will completely draw focus from you, and that moment of their entrance will be the only thing anyone will talk about at intermission! But it's all for the good of the play, right?" that was the last anyone heard about that idea from Langella.

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2024 10:50 PM

Did he play the gay artist on the Golden Girls - Lazlo? He asked Dorothy to pose naked

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2024 10:52 PM

No, R26.

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2024 10:53 PM

That was Tony Jay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2024 10:54 PM

I don't understand why his portrayal as Nixon got so much praise.

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2024 10:57 PM

Supposedly Joy Behar got fired from The View for telling a reporter that Barbara Walters caught the chicken pox from Frank Langella.

by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2024 11:02 PM

He was amazing in The Ninth Gate. Such an underrated performance and movie.

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2024 11:33 PM

Langella’s double-dog Dracula entrance idea at r25 was solid. They should’ve gone with it.

by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2024 11:37 PM

He deserved it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2024 1:50 AM

He can sexually harass me anytime!

by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2024 1:55 AM

Ever seen "The Twelve Chairs"? He really was gorgeous in that.

In looking up photos to share here, I realized that Ron Moody = Roy Scheider. That surprised me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2024 1:58 AM

So pretty then. (Langella, not Moody.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2024 1:59 AM

OP His big break was probably Diary of a Mad Housewife 1970

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2024 2:08 AM

R29 I saw him in Frost/Nixon on Broadway as well as in a play titled Match costarring Ray Liotta; he was superb in both. He cruised me twice on the street in NYC. Both times I initially thought he was Gore Vidal!

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2024 2:17 AM

I wouldn't have thought he'd be harassing a woman since I figured he was a homo.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2024 2:18 AM

R16- If she's a dyke ( she certainly looks and acts like one) and he's a homo then why would it be a surprise that they dated.

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2024 2:20 AM

R16, I have no idea why anyone would want to date Whoopi Goldberg.

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2024 2:22 AM

I think Frank Langella is a fine actor.

by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2024 2:24 AM

[quote] If she's a dyke ( she certainly looks and acts like one) and he's a homo then why would it be a surprise that they dated.

Ted Danson doesn’t date dykes.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2024 2:28 AM

He was good pals with Bunny Mellon

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2024 2:30 AM

[Quote] I just read his memoir. It’s snapshots of his friendships/encounters with famous people. Bitchy and fun.

Does he talk about Faye?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2024 2:39 AM

[Quote] I have no idea why anyone would want to date Whoopi Goldberg.

For the publicity silly

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2024 2:41 AM

I read and loved the book. The man knows how to dish dirt.

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2024 3:12 AM

R42- I agree.

It was not a particularly good movie but I liked the movie anyway and especially Frank Langella's character in the movie

Unknown ( 2011)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2024 10:39 AM

Full frontal in Lolita

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2024 3:21 PM

Has he ever admitted or even hinted that he's bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2024 8:19 PM

R3 His autobiography is one the most fun entertainment autobios I have read. Dish, dish, dish.

by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2024 8:21 PM

R51. It’s bitchy and queeny but I devoured it

by Anonymousreply 52August 4, 2024 8:54 PM

R4 R6 R7 R10 R47 R51 R52 sound like publicists. They offer not specifics from the book.

by Anonymousreply 53August 4, 2024 9:11 PM

R53 If you spent as much time getting the damn book and reading it as you do pulling quotes from above you wouldn't need to ask. Anyhow, someone up thread said it's snapshots of people he met and that is quite correct and all you need to know. Do don't be lazy, buy it and read it. It's available on ebay for 2 bucks. It's worth it if you enjoy behind the scenes entertainment stories.

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2024 9:17 PM

He despised Anne Bancroft.

by Anonymousreply 55August 4, 2024 9:18 PM

Well I just sploshed on Amazon for a copy of his memoir… Let’s see how bitchy he is….

by Anonymousreply 56August 4, 2024 9:20 PM

R54. THANK YOU R53. You’re a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2024 9:21 PM

R54 I didn't pull any quotes. I was hoping someone would provide some specifics from the book.

by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2024 9:24 PM

I first saw him in Diary of a Mad Housewife, and I just thought he was creepy and I didn't find him particularly attractive. Then I was him in two plays on PBS, The Seagull and Excentricities of a Nightingale. Suddenly he seemed gorgeous and sexy to me. You never know.

by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2024 9:26 PM

My friend who worked with him said Langella was flirty with him on a movie. Maybe he's bi, maybe he just enjoys being sexy to everyone. I never cared for him until I read his book. His Bette Davis story is for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2024 9:29 PM

Davis thought he was homosexual. She was not alone.

by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2024 9:39 PM

R61. No. She wasn't alone.

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2024 9:43 PM

R55 why did he hate Bancroft?

by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2024 9:45 PM

I guess you'll have to buy the book. R63 the cunts don't want to provide details or specifics.

by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2024 9:53 PM

Excellent actor. Riveting on stage. Also watch the Chicago 7 movie

by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2024 10:31 PM

He was R65

"Langella's portrayal of the man conflicted by his duty to the law, to religious doctrine, to his friend, and to his loving wife and daughter truly gives us a man for all seasons. An actor of great range, he moves easily from lighthearted humor as he verbally jousts with kith and kin, to commanding moments in which he reveals his inner turmoil. The farewell scene between More and his wife Alice gives him yet another dimension of tenderness and despair. Langella has said it's his job to grab the audience by the throat and hold them till the end, and he succeeds on all counts."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 5, 2024 1:08 AM

He's frightening af in the Chicago 7 movie. One of the greatest movie villains of all time.

by Anonymousreply 67August 5, 2024 1:10 AM

[quote]Well I just sploshed on Amazon

I hope you cleaned your screen afterward.

by Anonymousreply 68August 5, 2024 1:49 AM

R.I.P.

by Anonymousreply 69August 5, 2024 1:59 AM

I don't remember him hating her, r63, he just found her vain and self-absorbed.

by Anonymousreply 70August 5, 2024 2:00 AM

Has he been heard from at all since the Usher scandal? Pity if that becomes what he’s remembered for. Arrogant and pretentious man, but the kind of actor we do not have many of.

by Anonymousreply 71August 5, 2024 2:26 AM

He is incredibly cruel, mean-spirited and nasty about Laurence Olivier and Elizabeth Taylor, to name just two from his memoir. He seems to take pleasure in deflating reputations while inflating his own opinion of himself, and he is ruthless about aging stars. His book left me with a very dark, bad feeling about him and I couldn’t get rid of it fast enough.

Though he writes as though he was a great lover of women, it’s clear that the only person he loved (besides himself) was Raul Julia. Either it was the affair of the century or it was unrequited, but Julia is the one he never got over, the only one he is unreservedly generous about.

by Anonymousreply 72August 5, 2024 2:42 AM

R72 Not just Raul Julia, also Alan Bates.

by Anonymousreply 73August 5, 2024 2:52 AM

R70 that's rich coming from him

by Anonymousreply 74August 5, 2024 2:56 AM

[quote]why did he hate Bancroft?

Bitch didn’t show up to collect her Oscar. And poor Joan Crawford had to run onstage at the very last second and accept it.

by Anonymousreply 75August 5, 2024 3:06 AM

She stole his persona to play Mrs. Robinson. He regularly walked around in turbans seducing young Jewish boys.

by Anonymousreply 76August 5, 2024 3:07 AM

More on Frank and the famous people he met

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 5, 2024 3:16 AM

He was going to do the movie version of Torch Song Trilogy but Anne talked him out of it.

“If you play a fag, your career will be ovah,” she said.

“Let one of the British actors do it. They’re good at playing fags,” she said.

“You should concentrate on your stage career,” she said.

by Anonymousreply 78August 5, 2024 3:19 AM

Even a nonthreatening presence such as Roddy McDowall (“I watched him work the room like a cordless vacuum cleaner, sucking up celebrity droppings”) comes in for a sucker punch. If Langella’s eye for detail weren’t so mercilessly good, this sort of thing would get irritating quickly. But he’s able to conjure an entire milieu with a few choice nouns, as he does in his description of Elizabeth Taylor’s overstocked movie queen bathroom, with its bowls of Q-tips and cotton balls spilling over like a New England snowdrift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 5, 2024 3:23 AM

Ridiculous big hair-thought that was Delta Burke.

by Anonymousreply 80August 5, 2024 2:22 PM

Still laughing R 78

by Anonymousreply 81August 5, 2024 2:24 PM

He wasn't cruel to Elizabeth Taylor. His account of their short-lived affair is funny and riveting, and paints her just exactly as we imagined she was.

He described Bancroft as an extremely angry galloping Narcissist. The story is worth reading.

by Anonymousreply 82August 5, 2024 8:50 PM

[quote]He wasn't cruel to Elizabeth Taylor.

He exposed her as...needy. Shocking!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 5, 2024 9:45 PM

R82 it makes me wonder if some who have claimed to have read the book did or do they just have poor reading comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 84August 6, 2024 1:52 AM

He was to fucking die for in Diary of a Mad Housewife . “I’m waiting for a tall blonde , skinny as hell, have you seen her ?” “No. “ “Skinny as hell” towering over Carrie Snodgrass who poises her beaming blue eyes up to him. He is unfazed

by Anonymousreply 85August 6, 2024 3:20 AM

I forever despise Neil Young for this, among other things . Carrie lucks out. Nominated for best actress. Young tells her to snub it, curl up with him in his weed infused cabin . She listens .

Rumor has it she was snubbed in Hollywood thereafter. Anyone have any dish ?

by Anonymousreply 86August 6, 2024 3:22 AM

Jessica Walter rolling her eyes is tired

by Anonymousreply 87August 7, 2024 8:43 PM

R86 Neil Young was homely. He looks a bit like Karen Carpenter.

Carrie's son by Neil Young was born with cerebral palsy. She and young separated in 1975 after 4 years. Young married in 1977 and had a son Ben who also had cerebral palsy.

Snodgress sued Young for child support and Young was ordered to pay Carrie $10,000 a month for child support and up to $300,000 on a home for mother and child.

Carrie return to the screen in Brian De Palma's The Fury in 1978.

Snodgress was initially tapped to star opposite Stallone in Rocky (1975) but lost the role over a salary dispute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 8, 2024 12:31 AM

[quote] If Langella’s eye for detail weren’t so mercilessly good, this sort of thing would get irritating quickly. But he’s able to conjure an entire milieu with a few choice nouns, as he does in his description of Elizabeth Taylor’s overstocked movie queen bathroom, with its bowls of Q-tips and cotton balls spilling over like a New England snowdrift.

This. Even tho I didn't like the little shit after reading his book, I agree that it was a good read. I don't think he trashed Olivier that badly. He did lead Olivier on a bit when they roomed together by going naked and asking him if he saw anything he liked. I think the character he played in Diary of a Mad Housewife was the real him. Even with all the titillating stories about everyone else, the overall impression is he is massively in love with himself. He never outs himself (except for the 3-way with Raul and Jill Clayburgh) but it kinda goes without saying.

by Anonymousreply 89August 8, 2024 1:50 AM

One thing I remember from the book is Jill Clayburgh telling him she had a meeting about possibly starring in Out of Africa but she knew Meryl was going to get it. I loved Jill but I cannot picture anyone but Meryl in that role.

by Anonymousreply 90August 8, 2024 7:41 PM

Listen to the audiobook narrated by Himself.

by Anonymousreply 91August 8, 2024 11:06 PM

Jill Clayburgh couldn't play anything but American believably.

by Anonymousreply 92August 8, 2024 11:28 PM

His memoir is as good as Hollywood Babylon. Yvonne Decarlo fucking him outdoors. He named every person in Hollywood, described their pussies.

by Anonymousreply 93August 9, 2024 12:42 AM

Sometimes just pretzels and beer....

by Anonymousreply 94August 9, 2024 3:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!